April 24, 2024, 01:25:13 PM

Author Topic: Flooding in T&T  (Read 6878 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Flooding in T&T
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
Some bad flooding today in d west.  I seein plenty pics on facebook, the damage is terrible.  I hope everyone is safe.  Come on Min. of Works, you have real wuk to do now.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding in T&T
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
Ah wonder what they will say now, election Time they say they will fix the flooding
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
This was from the Horirble Minister of works sometime last year or year before.

"There will be an end to flooding before my term is over, otherwise I will not be here. I must leave a legacy of a country where flooding is a thing of the past, this is why I am here walking with the people.”
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
Is a ting of d past like crime stop recyclin old pics and crime stats.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »

"There will be an end to flooding before my term is over, otherwise I will not be here. I must leave a legacy of a country where flooding is a thing of the past, this is why I am here walking with the people.”

I thought of this when I heard of the flooding but I eh want to say nutten, lest I be accused of misleading the foreign based.   Paging Dinho, paging dinho......come in Dinho.  This is what action looks like???   ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »

I thought of this when I heard of the flooding but I eh want to say nutten, lest I be accused of misleading the foreign based.   Paging Dinho, paging dinho......come in Dinho.  This is what action looks like???   ::) ::)

De man term was cut short. He had a comprehensive 5 year plan.  ::)
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »

De man term was cut short. He had a comprehensive 5 year plan.  ::)

Oh shucks, yes ah forget that..... dais why he shoulda shut he arse and just wuk.....apparently he is only capable of talking first and shooting after...... ::) ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »
So all yuh get a holiday 2 go help d peeps in d west clean up.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 07:15:47 AM »
Clean up those 'trouble' rivers now

As the MP for Diego Martin North/East, I am calling on the Government to move quickly to mobilise all relief agencies to assist the victims of yesterday's flooding in north-west Trinidad, particularly, Maraval and Diego Martin.

Further, the flooding could have been avoided if the former minister of works had done his work instead of playing to the gallery. I was thrown out of Parliament a few months ago for highlighting the fact that the Maraval and Diego Martin Rivers had not been cleaned and were full of silt and debris.

On behalf of my constituents, I called on Mr Warner to clear the rivers without delay, otherwise Maraval, in particular, would suffer again in 2012 as it did in 2011. I was ejected from Parliament, and Mr Warner dismissed my concerns and refused to address the problem. No work was done, hence the flooding.

It is high time the People's Partnership Government gets serious about governing this country, does the work it was elected to do and puts an end to the endless public relations gimmickry that now passes for government in T&T.

Again, on behalf of my constituents, I insist that the Maraval, La Sieva, Dibe and Diego Martin Rivers be cleaned immediately.

Colm Imbert,

MP Diego Martin North/East

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/letters/Clean_up_those__trouble__rivers_now-165884236.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
Clean up those 'trouble' rivers now

As the MP for Diego Martin North/East, I am calling on the Government to move quickly to mobilise all relief agencies to assist the victims of yesterday's flooding in north-west Trinidad, particularly, Maraval and Diego Martin.

Further, the flooding could have been avoided if the former minister of works had done his work instead of playing to the gallery. I was thrown out of Parliament a few months ago for highlighting the fact that the Maraval and Diego Martin Rivers had not been cleaned and were full of silt and debris.

On behalf of my constituents, I called on Mr Warner to clear the rivers without delay, otherwise Maraval, in particular, would suffer again in 2012 as it did in 2011. I was ejected from Parliament, and Mr Warner dismissed my concerns and refused to address the problem. No work was done, hence the flooding.

It is high time the People's Partnership Government gets serious about governing this country, does the work it was elected to do and puts an end to the endless public relations gimmickry that now passes for government in T&T.

Again, on behalf of my constituents, I insist that the Maraval, La Sieva, Dibe and Diego Martin Rivers be cleaned immediately.

Colm Imbert,

MP Diego Martin North/East

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/letters/Clean_up_those__trouble__rivers_now-165884236.html

Alyuh read the comments following these articles, I really believe the PP does pay people to post.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
Imbert does have a point, but mud slides were not caused by the clogged rivers. The people who clear cutting indiscriminately throughout the country is a HUGE part of the problem.  The clearing of land for housing (with a view) and gardening must be monitored closely.

A good friend lost everything when the water/mud went through his home. Everything is gone, including stuff (can't replace) with close connection and memories.

BTW, the same rivers imbert speaking about was neglected for years (even under his administration) so is he ready to take some of the blame?
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
I do not see and end in sight for people in the west. The land space is very limited. The only piece of land for development is Chagaramus and that is a designated park. Where else these people go build. They can go east. They can try central. Other than that they only option for them is up. I don't see the government moving them or stopping them. So they have to pay the consequences.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »
any body know what is the real reason behind dat level of flooding?

I grow up in dat area, even after days of heavy rain I never see crystal stream highway flood like that.
It have ah huge drain next to the road to siphon off a lot of that water....

I cyah believe ppl in that area suddenly trowin fridge & stove over dey backwall into the river

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:44:11 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
A lot of the land slides came from high up in the mountains where there are no houses or clearing of land.

The mountain just came a tumbling, i dont know how much drainage could of averted this.

The thing is, most of the drains ravines/ rivers are completely filled with rubble so much so that they are level with the land around it. Picture this, on one side of a street bridge the river way is 20 feet deep x 15 feet wide, on the next side of the bridge is filled and compacted level with the road so much so that it can be walked upon. Right next to it, a guys upstairs house was on 12feet columns, now he has a flats.

One woman actually survived one of the land slides cause the initial mud and water washed her bed out of the way with her on it. The house is completely filled with dirt and boulders. Really really terrible.

I really dont know how these ravines can be cleaned because of access...and is sooo much work..

This is going to happen again and may be worst is rains come again.

Oh yeah the army was doing a great job up in la Puerta drinking bears and liming on Sunday...

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
Alert, there is a massive thunder storm coming in from the east, please make sure your house is secured if you are prone to flooding. God help the Diego Martin people. It raining hard.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:27:40 AM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
Alert, there is a massive thunder storm coming in from the east, please make sure your house is secured if you are prone to flooding. God help the Diego Martin people. It raining hard.

weather changing in chaguanas already
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »
skies look clear again
I pity the fool....

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Identify and fix flood factors
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Identify_and_fix_flood_factors-166210926.html

Identify and fix flood factors
Story Created: Aug 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT

Even as the clean-up efforts and assistance continue, a cogent analysis of the causes of last weekend's disastrous floods must be undertaken. One explanation already gaining credence is unregulated land use, whether from housing developments or from cutting trees. In fact, eight years ago, then-prime minister Patrick Manning in his Budget presentation had stated that "poorly-engineered and poorly-constructed land and building developments" were causing floods in previously safe areas. But this assertion was never followed up with any action against those contractors who were almost certainly flouting building codes and Town and Country regulations. Nor, to judge from the extent of the floods last Saturday in north-east Trinidad, did the Local Government bodies do their part to alleviate the problem.

In a post on an Internet chat group, former works minister and Diego Martin North/East MP Colm Imbert noted that he had recently issued a warning in Parliament about the failure to clear drains and rivers in his constituency. Mr Imbert, who himself failed as works minister to regulate construction projects that exacerbated flooding, may have been on the button. But drains clogged by rubbish was probably only one of several factors behind the disaster.

Many residents who were affected noted that, while flooding has happened before, the scale and intensity have worsened. This change has occurred over periods ranging from five to 20 years. Since the rainfall patterns over Trinidad have not changed significantly over this period, it seems likely that man rather than Nature is responsible for the problem. Indeed, it is noteworthy that flooding problems now more affect the northern part of Trinidad rather than, as had been the case for decades, the central areas. That change happened because of focused projects, particularly dredging of key waterways, started under Mr Imbert's tenure.

It appears that the north floods pose a different kind of challenge. But identifying man-made causes is the easy part — doing something about them is the crux of the matter. Assuming that unregulated development is one cause, then the Government has to take action against the irresponsible individuals and companies, who should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Residents can point to particular developers who have denuded the hillsides for their construction, so tracking down these individuals should not be difficult. If, however, it turns out that the contractors haven't broken any laws, then the regulations need to be updated. In that regard, the Government must also identify those State agencies and officials who, through neglect, facilitated the devastation that resulted in two lives being lost.

All this, however, is still speculation. What is not speculative is that this situation will only worsen unless strong action is taken.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
When will we ever learn?
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/letters/When_will_we_ever_learn_-166210696.html

When will we ever learn?
Story Created: Aug 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT

Rain and more rain! Floods! Disaster! Death. When will we learn? Talk, discussions, promises. When are we really going to address the problems?

Yes, there is climate change. Weather patterns have changed worldwide, but we could have done something to prevent this years ago. But we did nothing. Houses on steep hillsides and watershed areas where they should not be, unstable, soft coastal lands, filled-in, coastal vegetation and mangroves totally removed; nothing to hold rushing waters.

This disaster has happened before and will happen again. We know the answers and have the solutions.

What are we doing about proper land use planning and "developments" that have no permission, but are proceeding anyway?

When are we going to stop deforestation on our steep hillsides and catchment areas? When are we going to stop filling in our important wetlands and coastal areas; when are we going to clean up our upriver waterways and streams that are filled with bottles and all kinds of garbage? When are we going to pass an acceptable Beverage Container bill? When are we going to seriously promote a culture, from Government departments to the man in the street, of conservation and prevention in all aspects of management, including flood risks?

When are we going to develop co-operation and unified action among and between departments responsible for our living resources — "water", "forestry", "agriculture", "housing", and "fisheries", "wildlife, commercial and industrial projects?

When are we going to stop quick fix, short-term planning and include medium and long-term plans and projects?

We have fairly good laws, but they have to be enforced.

The cycle turns. The rains will end. Dry season will return, perhaps, with a vengeance. With the change in climate, we may face blistering, dry, hot, parched conditions like what is happening in the US. Then, we will desperately need water, the same water that flooded us then rushed out to sea a few months before, water that first of all would have been partially absorbed by trees and forests. One answer among many is that we can store rain/floodwater in additional man-made dams and reservoirs. Put some money into such a project.

We seem to fail to understand the links and interactions between climate change, water and our actions or reactions. There will be both greater rainfall and less rainfall, greater floods and severe droughts. We cannot completely change things now, but we can mitigate them.

The depth and degree of the impact and downstream effects depend on human activities. On us.

Molly R Gaskin
via e-mail
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »
local based if alyuh need to go POS and yuh eh leave home yet please dont serious rain and d water rise a'ready

take care
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 07:00:48 AM »
I took the week off so I'm not going to work today.  But I eh envying anyone who have to leave their homes today to go to work or do other business.  Ah hearing from early that City Gate in a mess, the Diego river nearly to the top, trees fall down on the Lady Young.......some parts of South apparently flood since last night.....and on and on.....

But in all this I cyar help but remember a certain fella declared that flooding would be a thing of the past.....that fella nah, the action man.....the one whose mouth does get the most action and nutten else....look let me stop eh......I eh want to mislead the foreign based..... ::) ::)

Just take care out there folks.....ah hearing of people stuck in traffic being robbed in and around East Port of Spain......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »
"Flooding in POS will be a thing of the past " renwar
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
More flood woes; cameraman on standby
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
More flood woes; cameraman on standby
wired868.com

Wired868 has been unreliably advised that, although the rainfall might seem bad, it is actually six percent less than showers last week and 15 percent less than what was experienced the week before that. So citizens are actually benefitting from what is now known as an increase in the decrease.

Just to be safe though, the National Security Minister has again sent a first-responder to Diego Martin. Wired868 cannot confirm that the cameraman is now in place outside the Opposition Leader’s office.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 08:50:55 AM »
Stay safe brothers and sisters!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »

Santa Cruz Today 23.8.12

Round about by Maritime Barataria today 23rd Aug 2012

Cocorite near Victoria Gardens.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
Oh boy. 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Well I had something 2 collect in south so I went and get it. No way POS was seein me 2day.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:50 AM »
PNM fault again
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
I haven't seen flooding like that in T&T since the one in the northern range in the late 90's....that day we had to walk to downtown POS from Moka and that was a hike.

1]; } ?>