April 27, 2024, 06:10:03 AM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 102453 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
How do we know what is too much or to little? I glad the youthman getting his rewards. But allyuh should know in TT, any gov't in power go ride on someone's international success. Last time was Lara, the warriors, then the Beijing athletes, now Keshorn and the rest. We should not be surprised. This was so unexpected, more so than when Crawfie won his. The gov't had nothing in mind for an enventual gold medal winner. So lot of things was by vaps. But I will excuse them on that. But like everyone's concern is about promises made. Is a good thing everybody did not win gold(being sarcastic). Because they would have to build a sporting facility in every community where each athlete came from. I feel the only facility we need badly right now is an indoor velodrome. While they building the new pool, the swimmers can still use St. Anthony's. But I still feel they should build the pool, velodrome, tennis, new indoor arena and dormitories near Ato stadium. It is more centrally located. But they should upgrade and maintain the regional and local play grounds. Then there are coaches and nuturing program. That going to be politics. I honestly don't see fairness happening without being align with or have close connection with the gov't. Why I say so. Seeing that the gov't always have to put a disproportinate amount of funds in sports, they will call the shots. So we have to deal with Anil, whether we like it or not.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
Federation Park has a number of homes for high end government and public service officials, I have been to quite a few. Most of them are now very old and outdated. Saying that he got a $2.5M there means he got house on property that otherwise empty would cost most of that sum. Unless they do some serious renovation and upgrades/refurbishment and furnishing for free, that gift will also be a headache.

If I were his family I would sell that house, and use that money to build a nice home and guest house in Toco so that long term the family would be comfortable in familiar surroundings and have a means to support themselves when all the noise and his career winds down.

Regarding the others, it would be unfair to have a parade for the bronze medallists when most of them are still in Europe competing, it's like have a birthday party for yourself and you not there. I expect that will come later.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
I find it would be better if they just say he will get a gift of cash and a house, no need to state the amount and the value/location of the house.  That stinks of the gov't trying to impress the masses with their generosity.  Nobody need to know the details of the man business especially wit all de wotless dregs lookin to stick somebody for their money.
It will also avoid ppl comparing this one's gift with what the other one get.

I don't know what was said at the rally but I hope the PM expressed gratitude to all the athletes.  It woulda been nice to bring them out and introduce each one to the crowd.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:01:22 PM by Peong »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Federation Park has a number of homes for high end government and public service officials, I have been to quite a few. Most of them are now very old and outdated. Saying that he got a $2.5M there means he got house on property that otherwise empty would cost most of that sum. Unless they do some serious renovation and upgrades/refurbishment and furnishing for free, that gift will also be a headache.

If I were his family I would sell that house, and use that money to build a nice home and guest house in Toco so that long term the family would be comfortable in familiar surroundings and have a means to support themselves when all the noise and his career winds down.

Regarding the others, it would be unfair to have a parade for the bronze medallists when most of them are still in Europe competing, it's like have a birthday party for yourself and you not there. I expect that will come later.

As I said... "for all returning athletes".

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 14, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Keshorn Walcott receives his Gold Medal (1080p)

someone embed this please

Internet police take down the video  :(
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 14, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Awe_Sf14hPU&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Awe_Sf14hPU&amp;</a>

Memories  ;D cah stop watching
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
first time I seeing this. I could cry. ;D

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:55 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/166012876.html

BREAKING NEWS - MILLIONS FOR KESHORN WALCOTT
Story Created: Aug 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago's Gold Medal Olympian Keshorn Walcott returned home from London today, to be feted at the Piarco International Airport before a motorcade accompanied him to his Toco home. The teenager left the airport a multi-millionaire, after the Prime Minister announced a bag of goodies to reward the nation's new athletic hero. Among the gifts -

* $1 million cash
* A house in Federation Park valued at $2.5 million
* 20,000 square feet of land in Toco
* A scholarship at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT).
* Caribbean Airlines aircraft to be named after Keshorn Walcott
*Toco Lighthouse to be named the “Keshorn Walcott Toco Lighthouse”.
* Housing Development Corporation (HDC) project in Toco.

Trinidad and Tobago's Gold Medal Olympian Keshorn Walcott returned home from London today, to be feted at the Piarco International Airport before a motorcade accompanied him to his Toco home. The teenager left the airport a multi-millionaire, after the Prime Minister announced a bag of goodies to reward the nation's new athletic hero. Among the gifts -

Ok, so I all for rewarding achievement, but this seems like major overkill

20,000 square feet of land?!!...ah school named after him?
whey go happen if he win in brazil 2016, he go get half de country or wha?

an wham to  the other 8 fellahs that achieve an olympic medal? dem gettin ah bag of salt?

20k sq ft of (4 lots of EMPTY) land in Toco which for most part is hilly is nothing. They could have built his family a new home on the land. Naming his school after him, a matter of a sign. No big deal.

The fact is it has been 36 years since Crawfie, yet a chutney monarch singing about rum and woman can win $2M whereas a young man who's efforts were recognized worldwide, thereby bring focus to T&T is only offered $1M. Something biased there.

I am glad the school principal in Toco asked the PM to consider providing facilities in Toco. They want to take the Toco boy out of Toco and bring him to town to spoil. It is Toco that produced him, let Toco benefit, not just in the area of sport but infrastructure - roads, tourism, etc.

Even though they shouldn't, these politicians do not even know how to capitalize well on an opportunity - so myopic.

I suspect since Gordon, Solomon, Thompson, Bledman, etc did not come back to complete the entire relay contingents they are probably awaiting an opportunity to have them all back to celebrate. I would suspect it would be Independence Day or Republic Day that comes after the close of the European Circuit.

Exactly. How much money did the police from Canada get? How much money did they give for Shaquile Oneil and the basketball program? The government feels that since he is not "well off" any monetary item is sufficient. I am glad that there is an attempt to encourage him to go to complete University. But a scholarship to UTT is just there to appease the masses because UTT is practically free to attend through government programs. If you know how I does get vex when people say " well the government looking after him with those gifts". Last, 20,000 square feet  of land only sounds like a lot...

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Keshorn tells Toco sorry for midnight arrival
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Keshorn_tells_Toco_sorry_for_midnight_arrival-166210866.html

Keshorn tells Toco sorry for midnight arrival
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM ECT

Sorry, Toco.

Olympic Gold medallist Keshorn Walcott apologised to the people of Toco at 1 a.m. yesterday for having to wait for hours at the Toco Secondary School to welcome him home.

"I'm sorry for being late; it wasn't my fault. I just want to say thanks to everyone: thanks for all the ministers, the hard work today, thanks to all the people who came out to the airport; it is a long, long journey to Toco to have this function, so I would just like to thank God for everything ...thank my parents, and thank my coach and thank the people for all their support," said Walcott as the crowd cheered loudly.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar explained to the upset Toco people that their arrival in Toco should have been hours before, but it was just not possible because Walcott was mobbed by thousands of people along the way.

"I stood on that truck from Piarco airport, and my strength came from Keshorn Walcott standing next to me. My strength came all along the route; we should have been here hours ago, Mr Walcott, not true? Mrs Walcott, you were on the truck, too, but everywhere along this route, Keshorn was mobbed; there was an outpouring of love, a tribute to young Walcott here," said Persad-Bissessar.

She said Walcott asked her not to make any long speeches, so the Prime Minister spoke for just about seven minutes where she listed the rewards for Walcott before adding a new one —the renaming of the Toco Secondary School after him. (See story below)

The Prime Minister and Walcott arrived at the Toco Secondary School at approximately 12.20 a.m. yesterday.

By 12.33 a.m., Persad-Bissessar, hand in hand with Walcott's mother, Beverley, had walked onto the stage with Walcott where a short welcoming ceremony followed.

From early afternoon, hundreds from Toco and surrounding areas such as Cumana, Balandra and Sangre Grande, as well as other parts of the country, had gathered at the school to welcome home Walcott.

The numbers eventually dwindled as people left the venue, tired of waiting.

Walcott had arrived at Piarco International Airport from London at 11.15 a.m. on Monday where hundreds had filled the atrium of the airport to show their appreciation.

By 1.15 p.m., following a victory celebration, a large motorcade comprising of Government ministers, officials and members of the public left Piarco for Toco.

Walcott, together with Persad-Bissessar, stood at the back of a decorated three-tonne Kia van for the journey, which turned out to be 11 hours long.

The motorcade snaked along the route as citizens came out and lined the streets to greet Walcott.

In some areas such as Sangre Grande, the traffic was at a standstill for almost two hours as the crowds increased.

Along every community, people came out in their numbers. By 9 p.m., the motorcade had reached Matura, and nearing 11 p.m., it had made its way to Cumana.

The large contingent of cars and trucks had crawled along the route for most of the journey as the roadways were narrow, and all oncoming traffic was instructed by police to pull to the side.

The large music truck had difficulty making its way to the Toco Secondary School because of the narrow, winding roadway.

When the motorcade entered Toco, people on the roadsides were visibly upset.

"You know how long we waiting?", "Why allyuh keep the boy so long?", "We fed up wait!", "Not fair to Toco!" they shouted.

Some people dressed in traditional Carnival costumes had waited patiently until midnight for Walcott.

Scores of Toco residents who had left the Toco Secondary School and had gone home started walking back to the venue to meet Walcott.

At the school, people were upset and booed as Toco/Sangre Grande MP Rupert Griffith made his way to the podium to announce the arrival of the long-awaited guests.

Sensing the anger of the people, Persad-Bissessar explained that the delay was due to the outpouring of love for Walcott.

However, only Walcott was able to placate the people when he apologised to them, and they in turn roared in support.

At 1.20 a.m., there was a huge display of fireworks for about ten minutes, and just after 2 a.m., the Prime Minister departed the venue by helicopter.

A very tired-looking Walcott, still wanting to share in the celebration with his peers, stayed back to lime on the roadway as the motorcade departed. The Express was unable to contact Walcott yesterday for a comment on the long-delayed motorcade.

Contacted yesterday, Griffith told the Express he was booed because people were tired and frustrated of waiting.

"There was nothing I could have done," he said.

Griffith said he had left the motorcade and made his way to the school to prepare for Walcott's welcome.

He said thousands had gathered from early evening as he had organised buses to transport people from Toco and surrounding areas to go to the airport and then back to the school for celebrations.

Griffith said while he understood the people of Toco were upset, there were a "million and one" positives.

A large stage was erected in the savannah of the school compound where a number of performances, including that of soca star Machel Montano, were carded.

Griffith said Montano did not come because of the late timing, but other performers entertained the crowds and left.

Government Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, who was part of organising Walcott's welcome, said the delay was not expected.

"The fact is the delay was caused largely by the enormous outpouring of love and support for Walcott," he said.

"Yesterday was history; the people united in love and patriotism; the only thing that didn't happen was the dead didn't come to life," said Moonilal.

Asked if, in retrospect, the motorcade should have been better planned, Moonilal said it was a moment of celebration, and the country took pride in Walcott's historic achievement.

He said there would be more activities in the Toco community to pay tribute to Walcott.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
REST FOR WALCOTT ...Olympic champ to take time off after extended season
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/REST_FOR_WALCOTT-166211046.html

REST FOR WALCOTT
Olympic champ to take time off after extended season

By Kern De Freitas

A long, well-deserved rest.

That's what is in store for Trinidad and Tobago's new Olympic javelin champion Keshorn Walcott after what his manager Sean Roach and coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa prescribed for the athlete following an extended season.

Walcott on Saturday shocked the globe by snatching the title with an 84.58-metre throw, becoming only T&T's second Olympic gold medallist after Hasely Crawford's 100m win in Montreal in 1976.

He is also the first male Olympic javelin throw champion from the Western Hemisphere in 60 years. Those feats earned Walcott many accolades, including $1 million, a house in Federation Park, and the honour of having his alma mater, Toco Secondary, renamed in tribute to the 19-year-old Toco resident.

Roach told the Express yesterday that Walcott has worked really hard and deserves to have some rest before he resumes training.

"In terms of Keshorn's (training)...really after all the festivities [what he needs] is rest. He has had a very, very, very long season, and everyone would understand."

Since the world junior champion returned to T&T along with some other Olympic athletes after an eight-hour delayed flight on Monday—which was declared a public holiday in their honour—the thrower was celebrated for more than an hour at Piarco International Airport.

He left the airport in a motorcade that proceeded North East to Toco and got there 11 hours later, before the celebrations continued into the early hours of yesterday morning.

Walcott was notably low key yesterday, possibly trying to escape the attention directed his way since his flight touched down at Piarco.

Roach explained that Walcott has had a packed year so far and needs to recover now.

"A lot of athletes trained towards the Olympics," Roach pointed out. "[Keshorn] trained for the Carifta (Games), then CAC (Central American and Caribbean Juniors), and then he went to World Junior (Championships), and then the Olympics, so his body is very tired. His coach really wants him to rest up. I want to make sure he's well rested."

The plan is to have the Olympic champ recuperate for at least six weeks, with the World Championships in Moscow, Russia looming in August next year.

His management team will not rush Walcott back into action. Roach also confirmed that the teenager, now a senior athlete, will not compete for the rest of the year. In fact, they have not yet confirmed which events he will compete in for 2013, although Roach hinted that they will be looking at some Diamond League events.

"We haven't planned [his programme for next year] as yet," Roach said. "He's not going to be competing at any more meets for the year. Most likely Diamond League meets and whatever his coach tells us he's ready for."
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PM: No expense spared for school named after medallist
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM__No_expense_spared_for_school_named_after_medallist-166210856.html

PM: No expense spared for school named after medallist

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar yesterday bestowed an additional gift on Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott yesterday by naming the Toco Secondary School after him.

Just before one o'clock yesterday morning, Persad-Bissessar made the announcement at a reception for Walcott at the Toco Secondary School, energising the very tired crowd who had waited hours to see him.

Persad-Bissessar said as she was walking into the school compound, she saw Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh and told him the school would be named the Keshorn Walcott Secondary School.

The Prime Minister also assured the school's principal, Verona Davis-Modeste, that the school would be taken care of in terms of the need for resources.

"Madam, I know you heart is with the development of our children as mine is, and our Minister of Education is now instructed to do whatever is necessary to develop the facilities here at this school at Toco, and Madam principal, if he doesn't do it, come and tell me; I'll take care of you," said Persad-Bissessar.

Davis-Modeste, who spoke before Persad-Bissessar, highlighted the many challenges the school faced with its sporting programmes.

"It was here that the talent of Keshorn Walcott, 2012 men's javelin gold medallist, was unearthed and nurtured; it is moments and accomplishments like these that remind us that amidst our many constraints, amidst our limited resources and amidst the many challenges we face, we can still rise," said Davis-Modeste to loud applause from the audience.

Toco Secondary School, she said, had, from its inception, provided a field of learning and different opportunities for pupils to participate in different sporting activities, which include football, track and field, netball, volleyball, table tennis and cricket.

She said the school faced many challenges in continuing to provide avenues for students to develop holistically.

"These challenges include the lack of proper training facilities and modern equipment, the enormous cost of transportation to access training and competition venues, the high cost of outfitting teams and inability to attract sufficient top-level coaches in all the sporting disciplines due to financial constraints," she said.

Most of the problems, she said, were as a result of the school's geographical location.

She said for the 2011/ 2012 academic year, the school incurred a transportation cost of $48,800 and a coaching cost of $88,090, amounting to approximately $136,890 to manage the sports programme.

"Many have questioned the large sums of money spent yearly on our sporting programmes, but today, Keshorn, you have justified our expenditure," she said.

"If the school and, by extension, the athletes of Toco are to maintain sporting excellence at a national level, we look forward to our field being upgraded, to a Keshorn Walcott Stadium built in the community and the Ministry of Sport assuming the responsibility of paying coaches," said Davis-Modeste.

"Without a doubt, Keshorn has made the country proud; he has made the country recognise what we have known for years that athletes of Toco are a force to be reckoned with. There is no school throughout Trinidad and Tobago whose sporting history, record and accomplishment can compare to ours," she added.

She thanked Walcott for putting Trinidad and Tobago and, in particular, Toco on the world map.

"Thank you for making the world take notice of Trinidad and Tobago and, by extension, Toco.... We will share with generations to come the tears that came to our eyes and the joy that filled our hearts when the Trinidad and Tobago flag was hoisted at the London Olympics and our national anthem played," said Davis-Modeste.

She also offered words of advice to Walcott, saying, "Keshorn, you have put Toco on the world map; keep it in mind, stay humble, never forget those who would have helped along the journey and never forget the hurdles and hardships you have had to overcome along the way."

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »
Keshorn Walcott receives his Gold Medal (1080p)

someone embed this please

Internet police take down the video  :(

I downloaded it, thanks a lot.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Javelin dare pays off
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164790.html

Javelin dare pays off
By Carol Matroo Wednesday, August 15 2012

After feting into the wee hours of yesterday morning Toco once again slipped into its relaxed existence.

Residents took to the streets of Toco on Monday night as they celebrated the victory of one of their own—Keshorn Walcott, who won the first ever gold medal in the javelin thrown for Trinidad and Tobago at the Olympic games in London last Saturday.

As Newsday visited the village in the aftermath of the celebrations it was as if the revelry never happened as the grounds of the Toco Composite School, where the 19-year-old attended, were cleaned of the bottles, cups and other debris from just hours before. Villagers went about their business while others sat on stoops or in bars liming.

Neighbours in Trois Rouche, where Walcott grew up, revealed the Olympic champion had left the village that same morning. In fact, no one was at home however two Finnish visitors Hassan and his wife Erja Abahassine were photographing the house. The Finns placed third in the javelin throw this year. The javelin king’s grandmother Joycelyn Walcott, speaking at her home in L’Anse Noire, said Walcott had been staying with his manager in San Juan for the past seven months to access better training facilities. The proud grandmother said she felt very good about Walcott achievements.

“I feeling real nice, Keshorn born and grow in this house until he started going to the L’Anse Noire Moravian School when he was five-years-old. Then he went to live with his mother (Beverly) in Trois Rouche,” she said. Joycelyn said Walcott had always been a humble, quiet person and did not believe that the multi-million dollar gifts he received would change his personality. She felt her grandson deserved all that he got because of his accomplishments and the pride and joy he had brought to the country.

Walcott’s aunt Anna-Lee, a teacher at Toco Composite, said Walcott had no immediate plans regarding the $1 million in cash he is to receive. She also believed that moving to a $2.5 million townhouse at Federation Park would not change him.

She said the young gold medallist came from an athletic background and has been involved in sports since primary school.

Anna-Lee and her elder brother Elton represented this country in sporting events before both suffered injuries.

“He really wanted to play cricket, he wanted to be a fast bowler. I believed if he had followed cricket he would have succeeded because he was good,” she said.

Anna-Lee said Walcott began throwing the javelin after a dare from his classmates.

“He was in Form Three and he was practising the long jump when he saw some other boys throwing the javelin. He told them, ‘I bet I could throw it further’. They did not believe him but he did,” she said. Anna-Lee said Walcott was a very disciplined athlete and wanted to keep training with his Cuban coach Ismael Lopez.

She said the youths in TT needed more support from their parents when it came to sports.

“Many parents believe that playing a sport would amount to nothing good, Keshorn has proven that is not so,” Anna-Lee said, co-founder of the Toco track and field athletic club. Next door to Walcott’s parents home in Trois Rouche, neighbour Alicia Williams was beside herself with pride for young Walcott.

“Right now I can’t ketch myself,” she said. Her husband Reynold Horn said it was time that Toco be recognised. “Who is we that we can’t put something out there too, you see how he nice up the place?” Horn said as he pointed out the newly graded road that led to the house which sat on a hill.

“When I leave here this morning (yesterday) this place was only bush now the place clean,” he beamed. A contractor was later seen measuring the roadway to continue work on it. Horn said he always believed that Walcott was going to succeed. “He is a black man as long as he reach there he will perform, is yam and dasheen we does eat here,” Horn said.

Teenagers Kimmel Williams and Nishelle Bishop said Walcott’s victory has inspired them to reach for greater things. Debbie-Ann Marcano said Toco is very proud of Walcott.

“People tend to look at Toco as ‘behind God back’, now everyone knows where Toco is,” she said. Macarno added the proposed housing development promised by Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar was a welcomed plan as it would bring jobs for the young men who are unemployed. Anez Baptiste leaned across her front door chatting with several other residents, “I feel real proud of Keshorn with Toco being a rural area and for bringing gold to this environment, I really appreciate everything the Government has given to him, even though he should get some more because he is from a poor family,” Baptiste said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Missing – Keshorn’s javelin throw
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164791.html

Missing – Keshorn’s javelin throw
By MIRANDA LA ROSE Wednesday, August 15 2012

How to include the nation’s latest Olympic gold medalist, Keshorn Walcott, in a completed collection of murals commemorating the 50th Independence anniversary, is now on the mind of Minister of Tourism, Stephen Cadiz.

“The ministry will now have to see how Walcott’s win, could be included in the murals, or what could be done before Independence Day,” said Cadiz.

The stories of the nation’s achievements in athleticism, at the local and international levels, are on show in a panel of murals that have been added to the collection on the walls of Tower D, International Waterfront, Port-of-Spain. The murals on sport feature prominently Trinidad and Tobago’s first Olympic medal, won in 1976 by Hasely Crawford, along with other sports icons.

However, the murals were completed before Walcott copped the gold medal in the javelin throw at the London Olympics, and days before the nation marks the 50th anniversary.

At 19 years of age, Walcott is the youngest competitor ever to win a javelin throw at the modern Olympics, the first from the Western Hemisphere to win a gold medal in the event, the first in 40 years from the western hemisphere, and the first national of TT to win a gold medal in a field event. Asked if the panel of murals could be modified to include the nation’s latest achievement won by Walcott, Cadiz yesterday told Newsday, “I don’t know if it could be done.” Making any changes in the murals at this stage, Cadiz said, “wouldn’t be the call of the designer. It would be the ministry’s.”

“Considering what happened over the weekend with Keshorn Walcott winning gold,” he said, “the Ministry will now have to see how Walcott’s win could be included in the murals, or what could be done before Independence Day.” The panel of murals was one of ten, which now adorn the walls of Tower D, are due for an official unveiling by next weekend. The ten panels of murals which complete the Independence anniversary collection, features the peoples who came to TT with their cultures including, religion, commerce and politics.

The first panel shows the indigenous peoples along with the arrival of the Europeans. Other panels depict the cultures of the Africans, East Indians, Chinese, Syrians/Arabic, Spanish and French, and from colonial power to the attainment of political independence, a special feature on Tobago, and last but not least, sport, carnival and industry and commerce.

In July, when the first three panels of murals were installed, Roman Catholic priest Fr Kenneth Assing criticised some of the symbols, such as elephants, portrayed in the artwork saying that they should not have been there.

Cadiz told Newsday that the artist/designer, Brian Mac Farlane, who was commissioned to do the designs, was licensed to depict the historical and contemporary lives in TT, based on his interpretation. The murals, made from papier mache, has a metallic finish.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toco school also to be named after Walcott
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2012, 01:43:01 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-15/toco-school-also-be-named-after-walcott

Toco school also to be named after Walcott
Published: Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Kevon Felmine

It was an overwhelming experience for Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott as thousands of supporters lined the main road from Arouca to Toco on Monday, waiting to catch a glimpse of their hero at the head of a motorcade following his arrival from the London Olympic Games. For some, the blazing sunlight turned into a cool night but they remained undaunted, waiting for many hours for the 19-year-old javelin champion of the 2012 Olympics to acknowledge their support.

Walcott, who was greeted as a returning hero at Piarco Airport just before midday, arrived in Toco after midnight. This was after enduring a 13-hour flight from London’s Gatwick Airport to Piarco. After the ceremony at the airport, he went on a nine-hour motorcade to Toco on the tray of a truck. Alongside him were his parents, Beverly Walcott and Endy King, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Sports Minister Anil Roberts.

Other Government officials, including National Security Minister Jack Warner, Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh and Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Dr Lincoln Douglas, followed on another truck. Remaining calm, Walcott waved to his admirers who lined the Eastern Main Road from Lopinot Junction, Arouca, to Hamburg Village in Toco. A visibly exhausted Walcott arrived at 12.15 am yesterday at the Toco Composite School, where many had congregated for a function planned for much earlier in the day.

In a short interview, Walcott said he intended to return to school to further his education and pursue his sports career. However, he could not say when. Asked what was his next step, he simply said: “Rest.” While his next javelin competition is carded for next year, Walcott said the Olympic experience was great.

He said: “Well, as you can see, it was a great experience. I won gold. Everything went well although the place was a bit boring but other than that everything was good. The people were friendly, the facilities were great and I really enjoyed it.” Commenting on his gifts from the Government for his record-breaking achievement, he said:
“I am just thankful for everything. I really was not looking for all the gifts. So I am just thankful for what I have received. When I  was over there (London), I was told by the other 2008 medallists it would be crazy so I was kind of premeditating in my mind but it still has not caught up to me as yet.

“I am thankful for the support. The people came out... I am guessing like nine hours... because we took really long to come up here, so I am just grateful they came and we are going to celebrate with them.” Addressing supporters who had to squeeze into the school auditorium and corridors, Persad-Bissessar announced another reward for the champion in addition to those revealed at the airport. She said the school from which Walcott graduated will be renamed the Keshorn Walcott Secondary School and its facilities will be improved.

This comes in addition to her promises made at the airport that Walcott will receive $1 million cash to invest; a $2.5 million house in Federation Park, St James; 20,000 square feet of land near his Trois Roche Village home and a scholarship at the University of Trinidad and Tobago. The Toco lighthouse will also be renamed after him and a CAL aircraft will carry his name.

Persad-Bissessar added that the Housing Development Corporation would build a housing development in the area which she said would create much-needed jobs and provide homes for at least 100 people. She added those were only some of the gifts the Government had in store for Walcott. When Walcott took the podium, he expressed his gratitude. He said: “Firstly, I’d like to say good morning. I apologise for being late, it was my fault. I just want to say to thanks to everyone.

“Thanks to the ministers for all their hard work. Thanks to the people who came down to the airport and made that long, long, journey to Toco to have this function. “I just want to say thank God for everything. I thank my parents, I thank my coach and I would just like to thank all the people for their support. Thank God.” The event ended at 2.40 am with a ten-minute fireworks display at the school grounds Shortly after, people started the long journey out of Toco.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
Keshorn Walcott uses his mother's last name.

His father's last name is King and Keshorn's grandfather is from St Vincent.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
^^^I nearly facking dead jess now when I see that on FB.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
^^^I nearly facking dead jess now when I see that on FB.

I did buss out laughing. We good idle yes. :rotfl:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
So i did some reading of Finland views on the win.

Make sure you using google chrome if you want to translate it automatically.

Jan Zelezny the world record holder named Walcott the biggest surprise of the games.

Zelezny named the Olympic Games, the biggest surprise
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/olympialaiset/uutiset.shtml/2012/08/1596691/zelezny-nimesi-olympiakisojen-suurimman-yllatyksen

Javelin Olympic champion will be rewarded handsomely
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/yleisurheilu/art-1288491906634.html

Walcott thrown a javelin in just four years
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/yleisurheilu/art-1288491391274.html

Javelin winner will receive a surprise kotimaaltaan plush gifts
http://www.aamulehti.fi/Urheilu/1194761665476/artikkeli/keihaan+yllatysvoittaja+saa+kotimaaltaan+muhkeat+lahjat.html
Youtube Channel

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/166012876.html

BREAKING NEWS - MILLIONS FOR KESHORN WALCOTT
Story Created: Aug 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM ECT

* $1 million cash
* A house in Federation Park valued at $2.5 million
* 20,000 square feet of land in Toco
* A scholarship at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT).
* Caribbean Airlines aircraft to be named after Keshorn Walcott
*Toco Lighthouse to be named the “Keshorn Walcott Toco Lighthouse”.
* Housing Development Corporation (HDC) project in Toco.

Ok, so I all for rewarding achievement, but this seems like major overkill

20,000 square feet of land?!!...ah school named after him?
whey go happen if he win in brazil 2016, he go get half de country or wha?

an wham to  the other 8 fellahs that achieve an olympic medal? dem gettin ah bag of salt?

20k sq ft of (4 lots of EMPTY) land in Toco which for most part is hilly is nothing. They could have built his family a new home on the land. Naming his school after him, a matter of a sign. No big deal.

The fact is it has been 36 years since Crawfie, yet a chutney monarch singing about rum and woman can win $2M whereas a young man who's efforts were recognized worldwide, thereby bring focus to T&T is only offered $1M. Something biased there.

I am glad the school principal in Toco asked the PM to consider providing facilities in Toco. They want to take the Toco boy out of Toco and bring him to town to spoil. It is Toco that produced him, let Toco benefit, not just in the area of sport but infrastructure - roads, tourism, etc.

Even though they shouldn't, these politicians do not even know how to capitalize well on an opportunity - so myopic.

I suspect since Gordon, Solomon, Thompson, Bledman, etc did not come back to complete the entire relay contingents they are probably awaiting an opportunity to have them all back to celebrate. I would suspect it would be Independence Day or Republic Day that comes after the close of the European Circuit.

Exactly. How much money did the police from Canada get? How much money did they give for Shaquile Oneil and the basketball program? The government feels that since he is not "well off" any monetary item is sufficient. I am glad that there is an attempt to encourage him to go to complete University. But a scholarship to UTT is just there to appease the masses because UTT is practically free to attend through government programs. If you know how I does get vex when people say " well the government looking after him with those gifts". Last, 20,000 square feet  of land only sounds like a lot...
only shows tt ppl priorites facked up ... Is all.. Meanwhile Diego & woodbrooke ppl, amongst many, shovelling, bailing & celebrating "Gold, boy"

"As long as ah get it , ah happy, ah happy, ah happy". .. We mix up bad... Remove smartmen & Clown leaders and replaced by smartmen & Clown leaders.....this must be the mad part...yep..i done gone mad ahready..no need to cuss me

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:57:31 PM by maxg »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ut5Qafi-6ZA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ut5Qafi-6ZA</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
Isn't tertiary education already free for citizens of Trinidad and Tobago? How can one get a "scholarship" to go study at University of Trinidad and Tobago if it is already free of charge? ??? ???

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
Isn't tertiary education already free for citizens of Trinidad and Tobago? How can one get a "scholarship" to go study at University of Trinidad and Tobago if it is already free of charge? ??? ???
It's called gimmicks my friend. Wha yuh worrying bout?!
This is normal behaviour under the current government!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympics: lighthouse named after champion Keshorn Walcott
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19253050

Olympics: lighthouse named after champion Keshorn Walcott

Great Britain's gold medallists may be happy with a stamp and a golden postbox, but it doesn't quite match up to Trinidad and Tobago's offering.

Keshorn Walcott threw 84.58m in the men's javelin to win his nation their first Olympic gold in field events.

His reward came in the shape of £100,000, around 20,000 square feet of land and a lighthouse named after him.

Walcott will also have his name adorn a Caribbean Airlines plane, as well as a luxury home after his Olympic success.

The 19-year-old, from the tiny farming village of Toco, became the first non-European to win the men's javelin since American Cy Young in 1952.

He returned home on Monday to Trinidad's Piarco International Airport, where thousands dressed in the national colours of red, black and white greeted him.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had declared Monday a national holiday after the victory - only the second Olympic gold in Trinidad and Tobago's history following Hasley Crawford's victory in the men's 100m at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

Walcott, who is the reigning world junior champion, said: "I was proud to carry the flag of Trinidad and Tobago. Thanks to everyone for all the support and thanks to Mum and Dad, my brothers and sister."

Swimming against the tide

Trinidad and Tobago have only ever won two Olympic gold medals, and 18 medals in total.

Most of those belong to athletics, although there's three weightlifting medals and a solitary swimming bronze - George Bovell in 2004 in the men's 200m individual medley.

Olympics Javelin Analysis
Steve Backley
Triple Olympic javelin medallist and BBC pundit

"The double Olympic champion Thorkildsen has failed to get on the rostrum and that is a huge upset in javelin throwing. A surprise win for Keshorn Walcott. Everyone else struggled with the wind and he has walked away with the gold medal."

Video: Keshorn Walcott of Trinidad and Tobago wins gold

Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott throws a national record 84.58m to claim a surprise Olympic gold medal in the men's javelin.

The 19-year-old beat Ukraine's Oleksandr Pyatnytsya, who came second with 84.51m, while Finn Antti Ruuskanen's 84.12m took bronze.

Defending Olympic champion Andreas Thorkildsen of Norway had to settle for sixth place.

BBC video link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19230880

Available to UK users only.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:58:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Javelin pot of gold for Walcott in Trinidad
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42:10 PM »
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/14547052/javelin-pot-of-gold-for-walcott-in-trinidad/

Javelin pot of gold for Walcott in Trinidad
Associated Press, The West Australian
August 14, 2012, 11:13 am

Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott didn't just return to a hero's welcome in his Caribbean homeland of Trinidad & Tobago.

He was also promised a cheque for about $US155,000 ($A148,000), a luxury home and a large block of land near his home town.

Oh, and a lighthouse and a Caribbean Airlines plane will be named after the 19-year-old javelin champion, too.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar lavished Walcott with gifts and praise on Monday at Trinidad's Piarco International Airport, where a few thousand revellers dressed in the national colours of red, black and white greeted the young athlete.

Monday was named a national holiday in honour of Walcott, who won the Olympic javelin title with a throw of 84.58 metres.

Walcott's victory was Trinidad's first Olympic gold in a field event and its second overall. The first one was notched 36 years ago at the Montreal Olympics when Hasely Crawford won the 100m dash.

"On behalf of the people of Trinidad & Tobago, we thank you, Keshorn, and may the Lord continue to bless you," Persad-Bissessar shouted into a microphone, trying to get her voice above the crowd's chanting of "Keshorn!".

Walcott, who is from the tiny Trinidadian farming village of Toco, looked slightly stunned by the outpouring of gratitude from his countrymen.

"I was proud to carry the flag of T&T and thanks to everyone for all the support and thanks to mum and dad, my brothers and sister," said Walcott, who was the world junior champion in javelin before his big weekend win at the London Olympics.

Cricket fans might wonder if he is related to the great West Indian batsman Clyde Walcott, but there is apparently no link. Clyde Walcott was from Barbados.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Full BBC Video coverage of Olympic Javelin Final featuring Keshorn Walcott
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
Full BBC Video coverage of Olympic Javelin Final

Men's Javelin: Dedicated coverage of the Men's Javelin Final (No commentary).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w3367

Go to Section 1 (00:06:00) for startlist and introduction of 12 finalists just before start of competition*
Go to Section 2 (00:15:00) for Keshorn Walcott's Attempt 1 83.51m NR*
Go to Section 3 (00:27:29) for Keshorn Walcott's Attempt 2 84.58m NR & gold medal throw*
Go to Section 4 (00:39:30) for Keshorn Walcott's Attempt 3 foul*
Go to Section 5 (00:57:00) for Keshorn Walcott's Attempt 4 80.64m*
Go to Section 6 (01:06:40) for Keshorn Walcott's Attempt 5 foul*
Go to Section 7 (01:14:27) for Keshorn Walcott's victory celebration with T&T flag*

Gold: Keshorn Walcott–men’s javelin final–84.58 metres

Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott throws a national record 84.58m to claim a surprise Olympic gold medal in the men's javelin.

The 19-year-old beat Ukraine's Oleksandr Pyatnytsya, who came second with 84.51m, while Finn Antti Ruuskanen's 84.12m took bronze.

Defending Olympic champion Andreas Thorkildsen of Norway had to settle for sixth place.

BBC video link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19230880

Available to UK users only.

http://www.iaaf.org/mini/oly12/Results/ResultsByDate.aspx?racedate=08-11-2012/sex=M/discCode=JT/combCode=hash/roundCode=f/results.html#detM_JT_hash_f

Results Javelin Throw - Men FINAL
Afternoon session

Final - Saturday 11 August 2012 - 19:20
Position   Bib   Athlete   Country   Mark

1   3052   Keshorn Walcott  TRI 84.58    (NR)
2   3143   Oleksandr Pyatnytsya  UKR 84.51    .
3   1727   Antti Ruuskanen  FIN 84.12
4   1525   Vítezslav Veselý  CZE 83.34    .
5   1726   Tero Pitkämäki  FIN 82.80    .
6   2599   Andreas Thorkildsen  NOR 82.63    .
7   1982   Spirídon Lebésis  GRE 81.91    .
8   1901   Tino Häber  GER 81.21    .
9   2609   Stuart Farquhar  NZL 80.22    .
10   2219   Roderick Genki Dean  JPN 79.95    .
11   1725   Ari Mannio  FIN 78.60    .
12   2322   Julius Yego  KEN 77.15    

Youtube Video coverage of Final Day's T&F Finals

Includes Olympic Javelin Final & Victory Ceremony plus Men's 4x100m Relay Final & Victory Ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/user/olympic/London2012

Go to (0:00:00) for Keshorn Walcott's 1st Round Attempt 83.51m NR*
Go to (0:12:30) for Keshorn Walcott's 2nd Round Attempt 84.58m NR & gold medal throw*
Go to (0:58:40) for Keshorn Walcott's victory celebration when he realised he won*
Go to (1:47:30) for Keshorn Walcott's victory ceremony with T&T anthem being played*
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:51:41 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott to study at UTT
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164839.html

Walcott to study at UTT
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Thursday, August 16 2012

Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott has turned down offers from the United States (US) to accept a full scholarship offered by Government to pursue tertiary studies at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT).

At a gala reception at the Piarco International Airport on Monday, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar revealed Government will be honouring the 19-year-old for his phenomenal achievement in London last Saturday.

Among the list of rewards to Walcott was the scholarship to study whatever he desires at UTT.

Walcott was also given a house in Federation Park worth $2.5 million, 20,000 square feet of land and $1 million in cash.

To also honour him, the Toco Lighthouse was renamed the Keshorn Walcott Lighthouse, a Caribbean Airlines aircraft would be named after him, his former secondary school, Toco Composite, will also now bear his name.

Speaking to Newsday yesterday, Walcott, who was offered scholarships in the US, revealed he is staying in Trinidad and will be attending UTT.

“Yes I accepted it (the scholarship) but I’m not sure as yet (what I am studying),” he said.

Walcott, who has gone from virtual obscurity to one of the most famous people in the country, previously attended the now Keshorn Walcott Secondary School in Toco where he wrote his CXC examinations.

He later returned to the same school to pursue Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE). Walcott wrote his Level I exams but due to a hectic 2012 season was unable to write the final Level II exam.

Walcott competed at the National Junior Championships on June 3, the National Open Championships on June 24, the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Junior Championships on June 29 and the World Junior Championship in Spain on July 13, winning gold at every single meet.

He then flew to a pre-Olympic camp in Wales before going to the Olympics in London where he beat an impressive field which included World champion Matthias de Zordo of Germany and number one ranked Vitezslav Vesely of the Czech Republic.

“Because we had to focus on certain goals (he couldn’t write the examinations),” Sean Roach, Walcott’s manager stated yesterday. It is unclear if Walcott will complete his CAPE studies or be allowed to study at UTT based on other entry level requirements.

Meanwhile, Walcott, who received a Blackberry smartphone from TSTT on Tuesday, following a visit to their branch on Edward Street in Port-of-Spain, revealed no endorsement deal has been finalised as yet with the telecommunications company.

The reigning World Junior champion was paraded before his adoring fans from Piarco to his hometown of Toco in a motorcade that lasted over seven hours on Monday, ending in the wee hours of Tuesday morning.

The outpouring of love and support for the teenager have been tremendous with more than 7,000 turning up at the airport to greet him and thousands more lining the streets to catch a glimpse of their hero.

Asked how has this experience been for him, Walcott said he really appreciated those who made his homecoming such a grand affair.

“It feels really great. Everything has been coming along great,” he said yesterday, while he noted that rest and recuperation alone are on his mind for the near future.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Javelin king moves up Elite list
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164842.html

Javelin king moves up Elite list
Thursday, August 16 2012

Winning the country’s second Olympic gold medal is expected to boost Keshorn Walcott to among the highest earners in the Ministry of Sport’s Elite Athletes Assistance Programme (EAAP) following his historic performance at the London Games on Saturday.

Walcott, the first person in 60 years from the Western Hemisphere to win an Olympic field event, collected between $75,000 to $100,000 earlier this year but will be joining the top bracket of athletes which currently includes cyclist Njisane Phillip, swimmer George Bovell III and shot putter Cleopatra Borel.

The trio each received $200,000 from the Sport Ministry in January as they were recognised as the top local performers in their field and good investments for the future.

Speaking to Newsday yesterday, Ashwin Creed, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, revealed there will be a detailed review and analysis of the performance of each athlete on the Elite list and an amendment will be made following a meeting of Cabinet later this month.

Just a few months after being included in the (EAAP), the 19-year-old Walcott repaid the faith put in him by the Ministry by bringing an Olympic gold medal to our shores.

The Toco teenager was not even on the list for the October 2010-January 2012 period, but has certainly justified his case for Elite funding in less than two months.

He set a new personal best of 82.83 metres at the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Junior Championships to win gold in late June and later flew to Spain where he became just the sixth athlete from this country to become a World Junior champion.

His exploits, already capping a perfect year, could never top what happened on Saturday where a perfect year became sensational.

Walcott shattered his national record twice in the final to walk in the footsteps of the great Hasely Crawford and become the first TT athlete in 36 years to win an Olympic gold with a massive 84.58 metre throw.

It has been a stunning and swift rise to stardom for the athlete coming out of Trois Rouche in Toco.

Contacted by Newsday concerning Walcott’s omission from the October 2010 to January 2012 disbursement list, Creed noted Walcott had not yet achieved the Olympic ‘B’ qualifying standard but was later added to the list.

“I can confirm that he did get money (prior to the Olympics), he and his brother (Elton) did get money. The Ministry also paid for a one-month training stint in Cuba for him (in May) and bought javelins at a cost of $1,500 each for him to use. It’s not his javelin but it’s for him to use,” Creed stated.

The Permanent Secretary also hinted that athletes who have not been performing may be axed from the Elite list or see their funding considerably reduced.

“We will be assessing the performance of every single athlete on the list because there are athletes who have been receiving money since 2004 and haven’t produced an individual medal as yet,” Creed declared.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:54:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn can move in within two weeks
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2012, 03:40:13 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Keshorn_can_move_in_within_two_weeks-166351526.html

Keshorn can move in within two weeks
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 15, 2012 at 9:50 PM ECT

Toco-born Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott will be able to move into his new luxury home at Federation Park Villas in about two weeks.

Housing Development Corporation (HDC) managing director Jearlean John told the Express yesterday the HDC was finalising all the legal documents required for Walcott's ownership of the townhouse.

The townhouse comprises three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a living room, dining room, study and kitchen and is owned by the HDC, she said.

The unit, she added, was fully furnished with 24-hour security on the site.

John said Federation Villas was just about four years old and was not for sale.

John explained that the townhouses were built to accommodate foreign consultants and also for Ministers who may reside in Tobago but come to Trinidad for Cabinet or Parliament meetings. They are not assigned to anyone in particular.

Asked if Walcott would be able to sell the unit if he so wishes, John said he would have the legal title to his Federation Park townhouse.

Upon his return from the London Olympics on Monday, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced a number of rewards for Walcott at a reception at Piarco International Airport.

In addition to the $2.5 million townhouse at Federation Villas, Walcott is to receive $1 million cash, 20,000 square feet of land in Toco and a scholarship from the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT).

In addition, the Toco Lighthouse was named after Walcott as well as the school he attended — Toco Secondary School.

A new Caribbean Airlines aircraft which is to arrive in this country later this month will also carry Walcott's name.

Persad-Bissessar also said the HDC would construct a housing development in Toco to offer housing to persons and also to generate employment in that area.

John said construction of the project would begin on January 2, 2013 at a site in Cumana and is expected to be completed in 18 months.

Efforts to contact Walcott yesterday proved futile as he was said to be engaged in several meetings with his manager Sean Roach.

1]; } ?>