April 26, 2024, 12:37:18 AM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 102315 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Keshorn enrolls at UTT
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2012, 04:19:33 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-16/keshorn-enrolls-utt

Keshorn enrolls at UTT
Published: Thursday, August 16, 2012
Shaliza Hassanali

T&T’s Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott will return to school in September. Walcott yesterday signed his letter of acceptance to the Certificate in Sport Studies Programme at the University of T&T (UTT) for the 2012-2013 academic year. The programme, which begins on September 3, 2012, comes under full scholarship which will cover personal security for Walcott, as well as books, room and board, meals, equipment, a laptop, transportation, stipend and health insurance.

The value of the scholarship was not disclosed. UTT will also rename and dedicate its High Performance Programme and build a varsity stadium in Walcott’s honour. Walcott’s manager, Sean Roach, said T&T’s second gold medallist wants to start the programme next month. “We have gotten all the packages today. We know that he (Walcott) wants to start in September so we are going to be reviewing it a couple of days and see what else is being offered. I know there is a great sports management programme here (UTT).”

Walcott could not say what he wants to focus on, education wise. “I am not looking for benefits for myself. For the country it will be great, knowing that we will have an additional stadium to train and have competitions. Now, UTT is getting their own stadium. I am sure there are athletes at UTT who may have trouble in training,” Walcott said beaming with pride, when asked what he thought about the varsity stadium that will be named after him.

The signing took place at UTT’s O’Meara campus in the presence of Tertiary Education and Skills Training Minister Fazal Karim, UTT’s chairman Curtis Manchoon, UTT’s acting president Dr Fazal Ali, Walcott’s coach Ismael Lopez and Roach two days after Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced at Piarco International Airport that Walcott would be granted a scholarship from UTT as his reward for gold medal performance in the men's javelin throw at the London Olympics last Saturday.

Walcott, 19, of Toco won the event with a throw of 84.58 metres. The certificate in sport studies runs for one year, Karim explained. “Then that leads to the bachelor’s degree. There is a future ahead in terms of how do you move from where he (Walcott) is now to where he can be,” Karim said. Karim said UTT will provide all the resources necessary to maintain, improve and enhance Walcott’s performance on the field.

Karim also revealed that Government was in search of lands for the stadium, which will not be mammoth like the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain. “What we will be looking at is track and field facilities dedicated to athletic students.” In a UTT letter dated August 15, addressed to Walcott, it states, “Further to the announcement of the honourable Prime Minister, the UTT hereby formally offers you a scholarship to pursue your education and continue your training as part of our High Performance Athletic Programme.”

Karim said once Walcott agrees to have the High Performance Programme at UTT renamed in his honour, “We intend to engage in discussions with your management to work out an endorsement contract, as is required, to facilitate your name, image and likeness in an advertising campaign for the programme of the Academy of Sports and Leisure Studies at UTT.”

Walcott will be required to enter into a scholarship contract with UTT, which will set out the value of the scholarship and details on his duties and responsibilities as a student-athlete. Karim also announced that UTT will engage the services of Roach as Walcott’s current coach.

Karim said he wants to continue collaborating with Walcott in recognition of his signal accomplishment, knowing that he has already created a big impact on T&T’s youth. “In advance of this high performance athletic programme that the University of Trinidad and Tobago, embark immediately, on design architecture for its own university stadium. That will be something of a dream come true, but it is also in pursuance of what lies ahead for the performance of our athletes.”

Karim said he intends to take the proposal to Cabinet to acquire the lands needed for the stadium. “I always believe that things do not happen by chance but certainly by intervention.” Roach said this was a happy moment for Walcott and himself. “This whole process and journey was a team effort. The plan for Keshorn to join the UTT programme was not a plan that came after the medal. It was always in our plans. When we set our goals out for Keshorn and for the accomplishments that we wanted him to achieve this year...one of the goals was education.”

Roach said they wanted to start Keshorn’s journey with the best programme available and felt UTT was the ideal institution. “The fact that Keshorn was staying home to train...we wanted to ensure that some of the successes on his journey was homegrown. The University of Trinidad and Tobago was probably one of the best decisions ever made.” Roach said he hopes that Walcott can use his brand to push and develop UTT.

Roach described Walcott’s achievement as a vessel that was needed in the country.
“When you get a national success at this level it is not just for one person...it’s everybody’s input, dreams and prayers. Everybody played an important part. And even with him coming to UTT, this is another part of that journey.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lesson from a golden javelin
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2012, 04:47:00 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-15/lesson-golden-javelin

DOUBLE ROOKS
Lesson from a golden javelin
Published: Thursday, August 16, 2012
Carl Jacobs

That a 19-year-old youngster from Toco can go to the Olympic Games and win a gold medal against the world’s best competitors seems more like the stuff of fairy tales than an actual real-life event. But that happens to be the amazing achievement which now excites our country into a paroxysm of pride and jubilation. Indeed, Trinis now appreciate that what Keshorn Walcott did at London’s Olympic Stadium last Saturday was, in many ways, more remarkable than any other achievement at the games. First he, a youth from a remote rural area of a small underdeveloped state in the Caribbean, excelled in a traditional sport, the javelin throw, that had long been the exclusive domain of athletes from the well-established countries of Europe and Scandinavia. Keshorn, in fact, is the first Olympian from the Western Hemisphere to win an Olympic field event in 60 years and the youngest ever to do it. In throwing the javelin a record distance of 84.58 metres, the Toco boy, in effect, created a one-man revolution, breaking a kind of cultural barrier and demonstrating the characteristic democracy of competitive sport itself.

As far as T&T is concerned, Walcott’s achievement comes upon us like a breath of fresh air, boosting our jaded spirit. At a time of besetting problems, particularly when so many of our young people seem to be failing the common test of survival, we could hardly wish for a more inspiring example of success against the prevailing odds. Or a more refreshing reminder that our country contains the stuff of which champions are made and that if we try hard enough, if we pursue our goals with the kind of determination shown by young Walcott, then we too can make it. In the arena of T&T chess, influence of the Walcottian saga may well play a part in the quest for higher honours. The country, for example, is yet to produce a player of International Master class, although a few have achieved a measure of success at the world chess Olympiad and other major tournaments abroad. However the lesson to be derived from Walcott’s olympian feat would most usefully be applied to the group of aspiring young chess players who clearly possess enough natural talent to mark them as future champions.

As the story goes, throwing the javelin came naturally to the Tobago schoolboy. He had the required strength, the physical coordination, the love for the sport and the lust to be the best in it. But the youngster needed more than those qualities to be a champion; he needed to master the special technique which this ancient sport requires. In other words, he needed a professional coach, one who would be able to hone his natural talents into an effective throwing machine. Fortunately, he found that trainer in the Cuban Ismael Mastrafe who shaped him first into the gold winner at the World Junior Championships in Barcelona last month and now at the London Olympics. If any of our young and talented chess players are to make a similar kind of breakthrough in the international arena it seems only too obvious that he or she has to come under the consistent care of a professional coach. To provide this kind of higher training is clearly is a challenge for the T&T Chess Association which, under a new administration, needs to clear away the divisive detritus of the past, put its house in proper order and establish its commitment to progress in order to earn the necessary support of both the public and private sectors. The new president Russell Smith, with his official connections in the world chess body, may be in the best position to achieve this kind of breakthrough. He would be well advised, however,  to adjust the Association’s old priorities, concentrating less on foreign trips and more on developing the skills of bright young players including getting the Association’s chess-in-school programme going at last.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Father of double Olympic medallist Keston Bledman:

My son deserves a house too

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/My_son_deserves_a_house_too-166351536.html

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
I'm a bit late with this, but in any case, some reports from Down Under:

ABC News (6.16am)

ABC News (With report, 6.18am)

Red carpet rolled out for teen medal winner (The Canberra Times)

Javelin pot of gold for Walcott in Trinidad (The West Australian)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
Now, UTT is getting their own stadium. I am sure there are athletes at UTT who may have trouble in training,” Walcott said beaming with pride, when asked what he thought about the varsity stadium that will be named after him.

When I spoke to Mike Grayson who worked with Gally at UTT, I was told that a sporting facilities was all part of the campus in Wallerfield or O'meara. Everything was dropped when the new gov't came in. So is a good thing the Walcott afterglow taking effect. Build more stadiums.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Javelin champ welcomes Toco houses
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164901.html

Javelin champ welcomes Toco houses
By KEVIN SUNICH and LARA PICKFORD-GORDON Friday, August 17 2012

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s golden boy Keshorn Walcott said yesterday he was happy with Government’s plan to construct a housing development in Cumana.

Speaking with the media at the Crowne Plaza hotel, Port-of-Spain, at the start of a motorcade into Diego Martin and Carenage, Walcott said he has always dreamt of doing something great for his community and the news of the housing development could not have come at a better time.

“In Toco, the people are in need of houses and there is also a big need for jobs. So each and everything that is being done, I hope it is being done to help the people. I want to see them have a better life in the community”, said 19-year-old Walcott, winner of the 2012 Olympic gold medal for the javelin event.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced the housing development project at the celebrations marking Walcott’s arrival from the London Olympics on Monday at Piarco. The Prime Minister said the project will bring housing as well as employment to the people of the community who rely heavily on fishing as their main source of income. The project will see 50 three-bedroom houses built in Cumana by the Housing Development Corporation. Walcott also said he was in no hurry to move into his new $2.5 million townhouse at Federation Villas, Federation Park, West Port-of-Spain. The house was one of his gifts from the State and people of Trinidad and Tobago.

“I am not thinking about that right now. I am trying to get back to my normal life at the moment. Actually I have not even see the place as yet. I not in a rush, since the house will not be going anywhere,” he said.

Walcott also said that while he has been blessed with a gift and is glad he could use it to impact lives in a positive way, he has never seen himself as a role model. He has to change his mindset now, he said.

“I think now because of my accomplishments I have to make up my mind. I hope that people will be able to learn from my experience. Each of us could accomplish what we want if we put our minds to it. I am thankful that persons will now look up at me and I am going to do my best to be inspirational and lead the way,” he said.

Later, at the first stop of the motorcade at the public swimming pool at Wendy Fitzwilliam Boulevard, Diamond Vale, Walcott, greeted by excited fans, both adults and young people, said he was taking the public attention in stride; that he knew the medals would bring attention.

“While in London I was trying to prepare for it too, the other guys were telling me about it so I prepared mentally,” he said.

Yesterday, Walcott, along with other Olympic athletes Machel Cedenio (4×100m relay team), Mikel Thomas (Hurdles) and Roger Daniel (shooter) shared out hampers to persons affected by last Saturday’s flood in Diego Martin.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn to move in among VIP neighbours
« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-08-16/keshorn-move-among-vip-neighbours

Keshorn to move in among VIP neighbours
Published: Friday, August 17, 2012
Rhonda Krystal Rambally

When Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott moves into his $2.5 million home at Federation Villas, he can expect to see familiar faces such as Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, Minister of Tobago Development Dr Delmon Baker and another who was demoted in the Cabinet reshuffle in June. Sources yesterday said the politicians were among some of the occupants of the high-class townhouses at Federation Park, St Clair. When contacted, Ramlogan denied that he lived in one of the units, while Baker referred all questions to the Ministry of Housing and its acting permanent secretary Joy Creese. Calls to the other minister’s mobile phone went unanswered. Ramlogan said units were assigned to various ministries. He said foreign lawyers who represented the State would usually stay at the residence instead of the Hyatt which was more costly. “My residence is in San Fernando,” he said. The AG admitted that from time to time he would overnight in one of the units if Parliament sat late into the night or if he had late meetings. “If one is available I would stay, but most times they’re always booked,” he said.

A security guard stationed at the booth outside the property yesterday said Federation Villas was a private development for government officials. It was his only response about the property, despite being questioned for about ten minutes. Two men were seen walking between neatly trimmed hedges and outdoor lamps. The guard refused to say what the men were doing. A silver SUV was parked in the driveway of one of the units, several feet from the remote-controlled gate at the entrance. Towards the side of another unit there were three jhandis (Hindu flags).

The units, which were built townhouse-style, are owned by the Housing Development Corporation (HDC). Sources said there were 16 fully-furnished units “which are all outfitted the same.” Walcott’s mother, Beverly, said her son or his coach Sean Roach were better suited to talk about moving into the new home. “I have no idea about it,” she said. For winning a gold medal in the men’s javelin throw, Walcott will also receive $1 million, 20,000 square feet of land in Toco and a scholarship from the University of Trinidad and Tobago. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced the rewards on Monday during a ceremony at Piarco International Airport. On Wednesday, Walcott enrolled at the university and signed his letter of acceptance to the Certificate in Sport Studies programme for the 2012/2013 academic year. His name will be carried on a new Caribbean Airlines aircraft, and the Toco Lighthouse and Toco Secondary School will be named after him. The PM also announced that the HDC will launch a housing project in Toco.

Imbert: Rewards appropriate

Former government minister under the People’s National Movement, Colm Imbert, said it was his understanding that some government ministers were housed at Federation Villas.

In a telephone interview, Imbert said the development was completed before the May 2010 general election and the units were reserved for use by visiting dignitaries and diplomats.

He said ministers who were in receipt of government housing cannot be entitled to a housing allowance.

“If you have to be placed in government housing then you have to give up the allowance,” he said.

He said there was “some” justification for Tobagonian ministers to stay at the residence.

Commenting on the rewards given to Walcott for his achievement, Imbert disagreed with the particular house and the scholarship.

Everything else, Imbert said, was appropriate.

He said the home at Federation Villas was not a good move.

“They should have given him a stand-alone house.

“They should have identified a suitable property in Federation Park or its environs and renovated it rather than give him a house in that particular development with other government officials,” Imbert said.

He said he believed Walcott should have been given an open scholarship to study at any of the best sporting universities in the world.

He added bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon, the bronze winning 4x400 metre and the 4x100 metre teams should be given a combination of cash and other things and the choice to study sports wherever they wanted.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2012, 03:23:27 AM »
Daniel praises Walcott
'We can't pay him for what he's done'

By Roger Seepersad

Former Trinidad and Tobago Olympian Alvin Daniel heaped praises on Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott and said the 19-year-old deserves everything he got and more.
Daniel, who represented T&T at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain in the men's 400 metres and the 4x400-metre relay, said: "We can't even pay this young man for what he has done for this country.
"I am impressed by Keshorn, but one of the things that was disturbing was some of the things some people are saying about the rewards he got for his achievement," he added.
"I have been listening to some of the statements people have been making and they need to understand what it takes to win an Olympic medal or any medal of that nature.
"Athletes give up a lot of their lifestyles to represent T&T. They dedicate a lot of their time to training and I don't think we can fully repay Keshorn for giving up ten years of his life to give us that status and put T&T on the map," Daniel added.

"We must always come together as one and support each other's achievements and we must show appreciation and move on. What he (Walcott) got and is still getting, I am all for that because to sit at home and have your anthem playing in front of 80,000 people in an Olympic Stadium...they can not finish paying him for that."
Daniel also believes that Walcott is in good hands with his manager Sean Roach and says the young man from Toco should not be made into a political tool.
"We need to sometimes put aside the politics a little bit. This young man did something for Trinidad and Tobago, not the UNC (United National Congress), not the People's Partnership or the PNM (People's National Movement). He did it for Trinidad and Tobago...don't make him feel like he is doing something for a political party," Daniel said.

Daniel also called on the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Sport to come together and implement more programmes within the primary and secondary schools to identify talent and work with them.
He also congratulated Petrotrin for coming to the forefront and supporting the athletes and hopes that other corporate bodies do the same.

He also had some advice for Walcott, saying: "When you achieve certain things, while you may not want your life to change, it will change.

"The most important thing is be down to earth, be humble and never forget where you come from, remember your neighbours, friends and most importantly, your family," Daniel concluded.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:53:43 AM by Socapro »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hasely to Keshorn: I feel sorry for you
« Reply #219 on: August 19, 2012, 05:12:09 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/features/0,165030.html

By COREY CONNELLY Sunday, August 19 2012

His ascent from struggle to stardom is by no means a novel one.

But what made Keshorn Walcott’s success so phenomenal was his ability to muzzle those who felt that he stood little chance of winning a medal against the stellar line-up of European javelin throwers in the recently-concluded Olympic Games in London.

For many, the Toco-bred Walcott, 19, was the underdog of the competition, a face without a name.

Few, it appeared, knew though, that he entered the Olympic javelin toss as the world’s junior champion and had been participating competitively in the field event for years before his glorious win, more than one week ago.

Now, Walcott, Trinidad and Tobago’s second Olympic gold medallist, seems poised for greatness and has been bestowed with a slew of attractive rewards, including $1 million in cash and an apartment in Federation Park, courtesy the People’s Partnership Government.

“To win a gold medal you need a lot of character and clearly he (Walcott) has that,” said Hasely Crawford, who won TT’s first gold medal in the 100-metre race at the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal, Canada.

“A lot of us will see a little boy but bear in mind he has been breaking records for the past few years. Three years go he won two gold medals in Carifta. He has been winning but we have not been paying attention because it was a little boy from Toco.”

Crawford, who witnessed Walcott’s winning throw in London, told Sunday Newsday on Thursday that he has been following the young man’s career for several years and was deeply impressed by his grit and determination.

In fact, Crawford said he was confident the athlete would have medalled in London.

“The point I am making is that he has serious character but we weren’t seeing it. Something about that fella, he loves a challenge. That is why it was so easy for me to predict that he would have won a medal because I was paying attention,” he said during an interview at his home in Federation Park.

Defying all odds, Walcott’s powerful javelin throw of 84.58 metres, was one of the major upsets of the Olympics —a victory which threw light on the potential of Caribbean athletes to excel in a sport, which, for years, had been dominated by Europeans.

But while he also enjoys an esteemed position as the youngest athlete to win the javelin toss at the Olympic Games, Crawford said Walcott must be wary of those who may seek to capitalise on his hard-won success.

Crawford, who celebrated his 62nd birthday on Thursday, said, “He needs to have a proper management structure around him in every sense of the word — in terms of his finances, his future endeavours, his coaching programme, or else he will fail. My advice to him is to get a proper structure of people who are really there for his welfare. If that don’t happen, he will be in trouble.”

The San Fernando-born Crawford was 26 when he won the Men’s 100-metre race in a time of 10.02 seconds at the Montreal Olympics to become the country’s first Olympic gold medallist.

The then Dr Eric Williams-led People’s National Movement (PNM) Government named a British West Indian Airways (BWIA) jet after him. He also received four free flights per year for the rest of his life courtesy the airline. More than a decade later, in 2001, the nation’s premier sporting facility, the National Stadium, would be renamed the Hasely Crawford Stadium in honour of his achievement.

Crawford also appeared on postage stamps and was awarded the country’s highest honour, the Trinity Cross (now Order of TT) in 1978.

Admitting to have fallen prey to the adulation in the wake of his success, Crawford said he later made a conscious decision to stay away from the limelight.

Instead, the former Olympic champion, during his glory days, said he chose to nurture relationships with several members of his support team and others whom he felt had his best interests at heart.

Of those post-1976 years, Crawford said, “I saw a lot of two-faced people. They come to you with a lot of ulterior motives. I had my guard up early o’clock and I started to move away from people. Keshorn will have to be very careful of the kinds of people he deals with.”

In fact, Crawford said he felt sorry for Walcott, who, like him, emerged from modest beginnings to be at the top of his game.

“In a sense I feel sorry for him because I haven’t seen anything put in place for him. Maybe, he has a management team around him. I hope he can really get that kind of support,” he said.

Almost four decades after his victory, Crawford, who has maintained his burly physique, makes no apologies for “retreating into a shell” over the years.

“I had to pull back and people called me cocky because of it,” he said.

While many regarded him as a national hero, others sought to take advantage of his status, he said.

To demonstrate this point, Crawford recalled an incident in which a jeweller deliberately hiked up his fee for services on an item because he felt the former athlete had received a large amount of cash from the then Government for winning the Men’s 100-Metre race. Crawford recalled that a former Chancellor of Germany had given him a gold watch “that was dear to me,” but after a minor mishap, it needed to be repaired.

“I took it to a jeweller and he told me, ‘You is Hasely Crawford, you have money, you win gold. You is Eric Williams boy.’ He charged me $15,000 to fix the watch and he did not even open the watch yet. He just tell himself I had money. So all these things made me pull away,” he said.

The ill intent did not end there. Crawford said people ridiculed him on the streets, saying that he would have lost the race if there was another five yards to go.

Many also scrutinised the persons with whom he interacted, he recalled.

He said, “I remember people started calling me a womaniser and when I tried to fix that in terms of who I was seen out with and I started hanging out with more guys, they called me gay. I am not scared to talk about it because I was never gay. “But I am saying these things because I want people to know what you go through as an athlete. You name it, I was it. It’s sad but I learned from my mistakes. All these things happened because I was trying to find way to protect myself.”

The unfortunate episodes, Crawford said, “made me get hard and I paid dearly for it.”

He said in hindsight, he would not have done it any other way.

Crawford said Walcott, too, will have to develop a strategy to protect himself during his reign as an Olympic javelin champion.

“That is why I feel sorry for him because he will go through it. And it is a good thing once you can deal with it. I think I had the strength to deal with it,” he said.

“ Maybe the discipline of the sport helped me to deal with it. I was very disciplined. I always gravitated towards people who could help me. My advice to him is that he has to be careful of the people he has around him. People will come around him because of who he is, not necessarily because they really care about him. He also has to find a way quickly to really analyse people. That is what I did.”

A long-serving member of the National Association of Athletics Administration of Trinidad and Tobago (NAAA), Crawford described Walcott as focussed, saying he did not appear to be interested in the trappings of fame.

In fact, Crawford said he and Walcott were similar in many respects.

“I had a qualified, experienced coach around me and he has a qualified, certified coach around him for years. To really be successful, you need a good coach,” he said.

Like Walcott, Crawford said he also had a good support staff.

“So, I had a structure around me. It don’t happen just like that. You have to have structrure around you that you believe in 100 percent.”

Asked about the gifts that have been presented to Walcott, Crawford would only say, “Whatever he gets, he deserves it. There is something about the young man I like. I can’t say what it is. Maybe I see myself in him. But is something about that fella that touches me.”

Former Siparia-born Olympic quarter-miler, Ian Morris, who has also enjoyed a successful track career, told Sunday Newsday that he took his fame in stride.

“I deal with mine simple. I didn’t make anything go to my head. I just went with the flow, whatever happened, happened,” he said.

Commentators mentioned Morris’ name (in reference to the Caribbean line-up) during the finals of the Men’s 400-metre race in London when Grenada’s Kirani James, 19, ran 43.94 seconds to win the event. James had also delivered the island’s first-ever Olympic medal.

“I felt happy to know that they remembered and they mentioned it — that Kirani James had broken Ian Morris’ Caricom record,” he said.

Saying that he was pleased with the gifts that have been bestowed on Walcott, Morris said, “I believe that the young fella has a good head on his shoulders. He has good people behind him — his manager, his coach — and I am hoping that they can advise him in the proper way and not let him squander and let the things get to his head and falter. It is tremendous to see that he has gotten so many great gifts.”

Morris, who regarded his personal best time of 44.21 seconds in the semi-finals of the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain, as the pinnacle of his career, said he would like to see other local athletes excel in their respective events.

“We had, this year, the biggest entourage of about 30-something athletes and to me nearly all of them who had competed did extremely well for Trinidad an Tobago and the Caribbean on a wider scale because if you looked at how the Caribbean athletes performed, we have dominated events where the Americans had dominated especially in the track and field,” he said.

Morris said he was also delighted that the corporate fraternity has expressed a renewed interest in supporting local athletes.

“I am seeing that Petrotrin has come on stream because of what has happened. Where were they before? he asked. “Why choose now, because of our success? Why didn’t they come on stream to help before?”

Morris said he was in Jamaica during the start of the track and field competition at the London Olympics providing commentary on the performances of the Caribbean athletes.

“The Caribbean athletes did extremely well this Olympic year,” he said.

Morris also noted that the business community in Jamaica had thrown its support behind the country’s athletes, who included sprint sensations Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Warren Weir, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Veronica Campbell-Brown.

“Corporate Jamaica came out and supported. You don’t wait for someone to break a world record or win a gold medal, silver medal or bronze medal. But they do come out and support.” Morris said he hoped Petrotrin would invest heavily in track and field over the next few years

He said, “We can identify a lot of talent here in Trinidad. We can groom athletes right here in Trinidad instead of going abroad, just as how the Jamaicans did.”

Morris also wants the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) to widen its track programme with a view to keeping young athletes at home.

“If we could see that happening then we will be doing things for the country. If they could do that instead of going abroad to study — although there is a wider scale in terms of good competition — but of they could do it here in Trinidad I would be happy,” he said.

Crawford told Sunday Newsday that Walcott’s talent was unearthed more than a decade ago during the National Gas Company’s (NGC’s) Right On Track initiative, a national track and field programme which targeted young children.“People believe he just came out of the blue but he was part of a talent identification programme all through the country,” he said.

“Every Saturday morning we used to take a bus, we take our coaches, our equipment, buy our own water and food and go to all the far flung communities. Athletes were exposed to all the state of the art equipment and some coaching and Keshorn arose out of that programme.”

So successful was the programme, Crawford said it was subsequently taken to Grenada, St Vincent, Dominica and St Lucia on a pilot basis.

“That is how Kirani James was found,” he said.

Crawford said Right On Track highlighted the fact that youngsters who have expressed an interest in track and field need to be supported.

“If we really want to get more of those Keshorn’s and Ato Boldon’s, we really need to support them at that tender age. People really want to come but they need a lot of support in terms of equipment.”

Crawford said Walcott must always believe that success was well within his grasp.

“To be successful, you have to eat it, sleep it, dream it, to reach to the top,” he said. “Athletes do not enter an event to fail. When you go out there, you want to beat people.”

Crawford recalled that he was “one cocky fellow” during his heyday in athletics.

“I remember on the night before my 100-metre Olympic race, I went to Don Quarrie’s room (to intimidate him) and his manager had to run me. Nobody was better than me,” he said with a laugh.

Quarrie, of Jamaica, had placed second in the event, and for many years, was Crawford’s closest rival. The two men have since remained good friends.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T patriotic frenzy converts into dollars for local merchants
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/business/2012-08-19/tt-patriotic-frenzy-converts-dollars-local-merchants

T&T patriotic frenzy converts into dollars for local merchants
Published: Sunday, August 19, 2012
Michelle Loubon

Hurling his javelin, Olympic gold medal Keshorn Walcott, 19, set Trinidad and Tobago in a frenzy on August 13. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar remarked residents in the north western peninsula who were affected by floods paused and sang the National Anthem on the historic day. Walcott’s  victory coincides with T&T 50th anniversary celebrations. These twin events have prompted a surge of patriotism and nationalism in this small island state.

National flags are spotted sprouting from people’s cars. Official buildings are draped with the red, white and black colours. It is wrapped snugly on columns. There are zig zag buntings galore at malls. Citizens are registering their support and solidarity by purchasing national flags, bangles, T-shirts and memorabalia. There is a renewed sense of optimism. Both proprietors and hucksters reported a surge in sales of national bric-a-brac and mementoes.

At Khemlani’s, proprietor Raj said: “We have started seeing a big upsurge. Trinis are always last minute. A lot of people are coming in for a miniature flag. Even little tokens for the children. But I would say next week would be the big bang.” Quizzed on whether it was due to Walcott’s win, he said: “Yes. It does have something to do with it. We are all proud of him. People were gearing up for Independence. They were coming in. There is a bigger influx.”

His shop boasted the novelty item—windmills turning in red, white and black colours. Casting his eye in the direction of a windmill guarding his cash register, he said: “It goes for $49.99. People are putting it outside their homes. It is eyecatching. It is just waiting to catch the wind.” Among the myriad of items being sold were flags from $9.95 to $15, bangles  ($35) key chains ($6.95), T-shirts ($59.95 to $75) and belts at $49.95. The steelpan fetched $135.

He also noticed several Trinidadians living in the North America who returned for the August vacation were purchasing souvenirs. One such customer was Queen’s New York resident Stacey Charles. Gushing about how excited she was to be in town for the Walcott celebration, she said: “I spent about $600. I bought items for friends..like pen holders and a big map with the clock. I am proud to be a Trini. I will take a drive to Toco (Walcott’s hometown). When you tell people you are from Trinidad, it’s real swag. They say “You all like to party. I say  lime (dialect for hanging out).”

Walcott a hit on Charlotte Street

In never ending line, vegetable and fruit vendors at Charlotte Street, Port-of-Spain, draped the red, white and black flag on their stalls. Port-of-Spain mayor Louis Lee Sing and the City Corporation had bequeathed the fabric to them. They were groaning with cassava and freshly sliced pumpkin. Random checks with the vendors like Glenda  Mutroo revealed they were immensely proud of Walcott. They complained about relocation since their produce got wet when the rains fell.

At the mere mention of Walcott’s name, they erupted into euphoria. Having calmed herself sufficiently, Diane Williams said she had noticed an increase in the sale of die. She said: “Yes. I think it is because of the Walcott medal. I think it has to do with Independence. “I sold about 40 die at $20. each. People are putting them in their cars. They are buying it for their children. We are selling flags at $20. Throwing caution to the wind, she said: “Sales have gone up by 100 per cent.”

At East Side Plaza, Shirley Bobb said she had checked a San Juan supplier for flags. But she had been unsuccesful. While she was proud of Walcott, she felt the shoddy treatment meted out to remaining Olympians marred the true meaning of Independence. “At the same time...they should have focused on the other guys too. We had people like Lalonde Gordon from Tobago. It didn’t look good. We had to celebrate everyone.” Apart from waving flags, citizens like Hope Melville wore a red top  and matching bangles.

Small businesswoman Lorraine Smith stocked up on red shoes with red pom poms at $185 and red tops from $40 to $100. Unlike the flag sellers, Smith said: “Sales have been slow. I am hoping for it to pick up by Independence.” Stuck in traffic, retiree Christopher Hill said: “I am looking forward to Independence. I was a young man during Independence. It  was the Dr Eric Williams’ era. It is a new generation...a Walcott generation.”

At Henry Street, huckster Kevin Phillip sold red, white and black bangles at $10. They caught the eyes of Maxine Wilson and her daughter Zarelle Maillard. Wilson said: “I am planning to spend about $100 on flags for Independence. I always try to cheer up the children.” At the busy intersection by the fast food outlet, Cherli Ann Marson’s flag was conspicuous. She said: “Yes. I’am looking forward to Independence. When we all came out to support Walcott, I did not see no race on that day. That is the way team T&T should always be.”
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:18:15 AM by Socapro »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/features/0,165030.html

By COREY CONNELLY Sunday, August 19 2012

His ascent from struggle to stardom is by no means a novel one.

“A lot of us will see a little boy but bear in mind he has been breaking records for the past few years. Three years go he won two gold medals in Carifta. He has been winning but we have not been paying attention because it was a little boy from Toco.”

Crawford, who witnessed Walcott’s winning throw in London, told Sunday Newsday on Thursday that he has been following the young man’s career for several years and was deeply impressed by his grit and determination.

In fact, Crawford said he was confident the athlete would have medalled in London.

“The point I am making is that he has serious character but we weren’t seeing it. Something about that fella, he loves a challenge. That is why it was so easy for me to predict that he would have won a medal because I was paying attention,” he said during an interview at his home in Federation Park.

Defying all odds, Walcott’s powerful javelin throw of 84.58 metres, was one of the major upsets of the Olympics —a victory which threw light on the potential of Caribbean athletes to excel in a sport, which, for years, had been dominated by Europeans.

But while he also enjoys an esteemed position as the youngest athlete to win the javelin toss at the Olympic Games, Crawford said Walcott must be wary of those who may seek to capitalise on his hard-won success.

Crawford, who celebrated his 62nd birthday on Thursday, said, “He needs to have a proper management structure around him in every sense of the word — in terms of his finances, his future endeavours, his coaching programme, or else he will fail. My advice to him is to get a proper structure of people who are really there for his welfare. If that don’t happen, he will be in trouble.”

The San Fernando-born Crawford was 26 when he won the Men’s 100-metre race in a time of 10.02 seconds at the Montreal Olympics to become the country’s first Olympic gold medallist.

The then Dr Eric Williams-led People’s National Movement (PNM) Government named a British West Indian Airways (BWIA) jet after him. He also received four free flights per year for the rest of his life courtesy the airline. More than a decade later, in 2001, the nation’s premier sporting facility, the National Stadium, would be renamed the Hasely Crawford Stadium in honour of his achievement.

Crawford also appeared on postage stamps and was awarded the country’s highest honour, the Trinity Cross (now Order of TT) in 1978.

Admitting to have fallen prey to the adulation in the wake of his success, Crawford said he later made a conscious decision to stay away from the limelight.

Instead, the former Olympic champion, during his glory days, said he chose to nurture relationships with several members of his support team and others whom he felt had his best interests at heart.

Of those post-1976 years, Crawford said, “I saw a lot of two-faced people. They come to you with a lot of ulterior motives. I had my guard up early o’clock and I started to move away from people. Keshorn will have to be very careful of the kinds of people he deals with.”

In fact, Crawford said he felt sorry for Walcott, who, like him, emerged from modest beginnings to be at the top of his game.

“In a sense I feel sorry for him because I haven’t seen anything put in place for him. Maybe, he has a management team around him. I hope he can really get that kind of support,” he said.

Almost four decades after his victory, Crawford, who has maintained his burly physique, makes no apologies for “retreating into a shell” over the years.

“I had to pull back and people called me cocky because of it,” he said.

While many regarded him as a national hero, others sought to take advantage of his status, he said.

To demonstrate this point, Crawford recalled an incident in which a jeweller deliberately hiked up his fee for services on an item because he felt the former athlete had received a large amount of cash from the then Government for winning the Men’s 100-Metre race. Crawford recalled that a former Chancellor of Germany had given him a gold watch “that was dear to me,” but after a minor mishap, it needed to be repaired.

“I took it to a jeweller and he told me, ‘You is Hasely Crawford, you have money, you win gold. You is Eric Williams boy.’ He charged me $15,000 to fix the watch and he did not even open the watch yet. He just tell himself I had money. So all these things made me pull away,” he said.

The ill intent did not end there. Crawford said people ridiculed him on the streets, saying that he would have lost the race if there was another five yards to go.

Many also scrutinised the persons with whom he interacted, he recalled.

He said, “I remember people started calling me a womaniser and when I tried to fix that in terms of who I was seen out with and I started hanging out with more guys, they called me gay. I am not scared to talk about it because I was never gay. “But I am saying these things because I want people to know what you go through as an athlete. You name it, I was it. It’s sad but I learned from my mistakes. All these things happened because I was trying to find way to protect myself.”

The unfortunate episodes, Crawford said, “made me get hard and I paid dearly for it.”

He said in hindsight, he would not have done it any other way.

Crawford said Walcott, too, will have to develop a strategy to protect himself during his reign as an Olympic javelin champion.

In fact, Crawford said he and Walcott were similar in many respects.

“I had a qualified, experienced coach around me and he has a qualified, certified coach around him for years. To really be successful, you need a good coach,” he said.

Like Walcott, Crawford said he also had a good support staff.

way and not let him squander and let the things get to his head and falter. It is tremendous to see that he has gotten so many great gifts.”

Morris, who regarded his personal best time of 44.21 seconds in the semi-finals of the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain, as the pinnacle of his career, said he would like to see other local athletes excel in their respective events.

“We had, this year, the biggest entourage of about 30-something athletes and to me nearly all of them who had competed did extremely well for Trinidad an Tobago and the Caribbean on a wider scale because if you looked at how the Caribbean athletes performed, we have dominated events where the Americans had dominated especially in the track and field,” he said.

Morris said he was also delighted that the corporate fraternity has expressed a renewed interest in supporting local athletes.

“I am seeing that Petrotrin has come on stream because of what has happened. Where were they before? he asked. “Why choose now, because of our success? Why didn’t they come on stream to help before?”

Morris said he was in Jamaica during the start of the track and field competition at the London Olympics providing commentary on the performances of the Caribbean athletes.

“The Caribbean athletes did extremely well this Olympic year,” he said.

Crawford won gold in 10.06.
Morris' 44.21 was in the 1992 final. Not the semis.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
I saw a pic on facebook earlier of Keshorn on stage with some models showing Island People costumes at their band launch. 

Ah wonder if that is the kinda thing Crawford is warning against....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
Yep, guess so. Or Maybe Island People donating some of their huge proceeds to his scholarship fund???? who knows. Maybe when he is forty or fifty he will open up like Crawfie.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
I hope he have he head on. Rel people look like they want to use him.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »

VB

Morris ran 44.25 in the final but set the NR of 44.21 in the semis

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »

VB

Morris ran 44.25 in the final but set the NR of 44.21 in the semis
:beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D7MB40wzos4&amp;sns=fb" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D7MB40wzos4&amp;sns=fb</a>

Description

"For those who are interested in something else than the running events , this competition provided certainly the biggest surprise of the Games in athletics with the win of Keshorn WALCOTT from Trinidad who was not even one of the outsiders in spite of his recent world junior title in Barcelona. But the 19 year was afraid of no one of the big names and to qualify for the top 12 final was already an achievement.
as he has with 82,83m the 2nd lowest PB.The competition conditions were not for a great javelin wind (indeed most of it came from the left) . The Greek LEBESIS had the 1st lead with 81,21m but soon WALCOTT landed the 1st punch with 83,51m to get the lead. Every body was thinking " Well good , nice throw , but wait for the big guns to start firing !" Indeed most of the favorite got over 80m in the 2nd round (Pitakamaki 82,68m, Thorkildsen 82,63m , Vesely 81,69m) but they received another punch right in the face when WALCOTT improved to 84,58m.

The only serious reaction came from Oleksandr PYATNYTSYA 84,51m , 7cm short ! . 7 of the finalists had PBs over 85m and could go for the win , especially the CZE Vesely who had such a nice qualification throw at 88m but VESELY was running too fast and could not finish his throws properly ,but throw after throw they look more and more disappointed , The NZL FARQUHAR was out after 3 rounds and only 80,22m. PITKAMAKI an THORDKILSEN were consistent over 80m , not able of more. People were starting to think " and if this junior was finally going to win ! " ...And he won when the last desesperate throws of RUUSKANEN 84,12m (Who saved the Finns honor in the throwing events at these games) for the Bronze , PYATNYTSYA 83,53m to confirm his 2nd place and VESELY 83,34m for a disappointing 4th place.

This young man from Trinidad is a good champion . He is talented indeed , but has a good and efficient technique . We also noticed the good throwing from the Greek LEBEDIS (7th 81,91m) , and the Kenyan (yes Kenya has throwers !!!) small but good thrower Julius YEGO. A new generation is coming in the javelin throw ! You could see the faces of most of the throwers after the competition , obviously they were still under shock !"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:22:20 PM by Socapro »
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
Nice video from Olympic Committee

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-fjUWhSM6Hc&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-fjUWhSM6Hc&amp;</a>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:23:29 PM by Socapro »
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
Now, UTT is getting their own stadium. I am sure there are athletes at UTT who may have trouble in training,” Walcott said beaming with pride, when asked what he thought about the varsity stadium that will be named after him.

When I spoke to Mike Grayson who worked with Gally at UTT, I was told that a sporting facilities was all part of the campus in Wallerfield or O'meara. Everything was dropped when the new gov't came in. So is a good thing the Walcott afterglow taking effect. Build more stadiums.

The whole sport programme was about to be shut down. His javelin throw saved an entire programme.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

The whole sport programme was about to be shut down. His javelin throw saved an entire programme.

Amazing how people don't see the benefit of sport. But they say they want to stop crime
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2012, 02:26:46 PM »

Amazing how people don't see the benefit of sport. But they say they want to stop crime

:applause:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2012, 02:41:18 PM »
One thing that might have been overlooked (unless I missed the posting), is that Keshorn missed the WJR by 11cm with his 84.58 throw.

He is second for all time WJ throwers.
http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/inout=o/age=j/season=0/sex=M/all=y/legal=A/disc=JT/detail.html

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn's home attracts tourists ...but roads a problem
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/business/Keshorn_s_home_attracts_tourists-166988916.html

Keshorn's home attracts tourists
...but roads a problem

By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM ECT

TOCO has seen an increase in the number of local tourists to the area following the recent gold medal success of Keshorn Walcott at the London 2012 Olympics, councillor Terry Rondon has said.

More than 1,000 local visitors went to Toco on Monday for the Eid-ul-Fitr public holiday, Rondon said.

Toco, known for its beautiful beaches, now has a new tourist attraction: the childhood home of Olympic champion Walcott.

Walcott shot to international stardom with his gold medal-winning javelin throw of 84.58 metres in the London Olympics on August 11.

His achievement has drawn local tourists from throughout the country to his family's home at Trois Roches, Toco.

And while Rondon and the residents of Toco are glad for the influx of visitors, a new problem has arisen.

The road to Toco is in "urgent need of repair" and Rondon yesterday made an appeal to the Central Government for help.

Rondon, the councillor for Toco/Fishing Pond, said the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation was doing its best but it needed the Government's help to fix the road.

Rondon said there were several traffic accidents along the Toco Main Road on Monday as motorists swerved to avoid potholes.

"We are always grateful for all the visitors we get, people have come in search of Walcott's home and his hometown village and we are happy for that but we need help with the roads," Rondon told the Express yesterday.

"We (the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation) are responsible for cleaning the beaches, and trying to ensure the area is beautiful but we need help with the roads, it is too much," he added.

Rondon said he was grateful for all the Government has done for Walcott but road woes in the area also needed to be addressed.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WALCOTT vs LARA
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/WALCOTT_vs_LARA-166989416.html

WALCOTT vs LARA
Olympic gold medallist to bowl to 'Prince' in T20 for 50 Festival
Story Created: Aug 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago's Olympic javelin champion Keshorn Walcott will try his hand at cricket when he bowls to batting legend Brian Lara on the second day of the Twenty20 for 50 Cricket Festival at Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain on Saturday.

Teenager Walcott, who won the gold medal in the men's javelin at the London 2012 games, will ceremoniously bowl the first ball of the innings to another famous son of the soil, Lara, who captains one of the four squads competing in the tournament, which is being held in commemoration of T&T's 50th anniversary of Independence.

In a media release yesterday, the organisers said: "Fans will be treated to this symbolic interaction between the two men, both of whom have flown the red, white and black high, and brought international fame to themselves and to T&T, through their excellence in sport."

The release added: "Keshorn is a most exciting addition to the line-up of distinguished patrons of the event, which includes Sir Garfield Sobers, Sports Ambassadors Dwight Yorke, Lara and Daren Ganga."

Lara and Ganga will each captain an all-star team in the tournament which also features the T&T and Jamaica national teams.

The T20 for 50 will feature two games being played each day, the first at 2:30 p.m. and the second from 7 p.m. There will also be top local artistes performing between matches and tickets for the tournament cost $100 per day.

Trinidad and Tobago will be using the three-day tournament, which bowls off on Friday, as preparation for the Champions League T20, which takes place in South Africa in October.

T&T continue their preparation for this weekend's tournament with a training session at the National Cricket Centre, Balmain, Couva from 9 a.m. today.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott vs Lara
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-22/walcott-vs-lara

Walcott vs Lara
Published: Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Olympic Gold medallist Keshorn Walcott will get another dream come true when he bowls to former West Indies captain Brian Lara to open the second day’s play of the Twenty20 for 50 Cricket Festival at the Queen's Park Oval on Saturday. This was revealed via a statement issued to the media yesterday. Walcott, who won the gold medal in the Men’s Javelin event at the London Olympic Games earlier this month, had once hoped to be a star cricketer like Lara but realised his talent in the field event which has brought him much success. The javelin thrower will be one of several sporting icons involved in the three-day festival, along with legendary West Indies allrounder Sir Garfield Sobers and former Soca Warriors captain Dwight Yorke. Sobers will serve as the ambassador and manager for the Brian Lara All Star Team, and will be present at all of the matches, as will Yorke in his capacity as sports ambassador. The tournament, which is being held to commemorate the country’s 50th Anniversary of Independence, will also include a Daren Ganga All Star XI as well as the T&T and Jamaican national teams.

Former South African players Herschelle Gibbs, Makhaya Ntini, Justin Kemp and Loots Bosman along with West Indies players Fidel Edwards, Dwayne Smith, Assad Fudadin and Sunil Narine have all been confirmed for the two All Star Teams with the full line ups expected to be announced later this week. The Red Force has been in intense training over the last couple months and views the tournament as an integral part of its preparation for the upcoming Champions League Twenty20 in October. While centered around cricket, the Twenty20 for 50 is a celebration of the country’s heritage in sport and culture. In addition, top local artistes will perform between matches to entertain patrons, while the Sport Company of T&T will honour 50 nationals who have contributed to the development of sport. Patrons may continue to purchase tickets, valued at $100, at various Sports and Games locations and at the Queens Park Oval ticket office.

TOURNAMENT FIXTURES
Friday
Jamaica vs Daren Ganga XI, 2.30 pm
T&T vs Brian Lara XI, 7 pm

Saturday
T&T vs Daren Ganga XI, 2.30 pm
Jamaica vs Brian Lara XI, 7 pm

Sunday
3rd Place Play-off, 2.30 pm
Final, 7 pm

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sando hails Keshorn
« Reply #236 on: August 23, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,165183.html

Sando hails Keshorn
By LAUREL V WILLIAMS Thursday, August 23 2012

SOUTHERNERS came out in their numbers to see and greet, Keshorn Walcott, this country’s second athlete to win an Olympic gold medal. The 19-year-old champion was scheduled to arrive at 10 am at Harris Promenade, San Fernando, but although he arrived two hours later, the large crowd remained patient.

Standing on a large music truck, Walcott and other athletes, made their way on to Harris Promenade in front of the San Fernando City Corporation (SFCC) and the crowd went into a frenzy. Persons, of all ages, armed with the national flag waved and shouted his name.

Standing in the balcony of the corporation building, he briefly addressed the crowd. “Thanks for all the support. Thanks for waiting and coming out in the hot sun. I am grateful for all the support,” he said as the crowd began cheering.

San Fernando Mayor Dr Navi Muradali welcomed the young athlete and presented him with the key to the city. The mayor also gave him two plaques from the corporation. Muradali explained when he was watching Walcott on televison, it did not occur to him that a gold medal would follow.

“I remember how we all felt when we won the medal and when the national anthem was being played in London, England. He brought tears to many eyes, not only in TT but across the world,” Muradali said.

San Fernando West MP Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan also welcomed Walcott and the other athletes saying she was delighted to see them “in the flesh” in the city. “What we saw in London was the best. Keshorn is the first person in the western hemisphere in the past 50 years to win the gold medal in javelin. He is the youngest ever winner of such medal at the Olympics,” she said.

Walcott and the other athletes including Miguel Thomas, Roger Daniel, Andrew Lewis, Machel Cedenio and Reyare Thomas were treated to entertainment from various artistes. During the performances, Walcott signed many autographs and posed for photos with fans.

Keshorn is scheduled to visit the Prime Minister’s Siparia constituency this morning starting from the Bakal Recreation Ground at 8 am and then proceeding from Siparia, Erin and finally to Point Fortin.

Hasely Crawford won this country’s first Olympic medal in 1976 in the 100 metre race in Montreal, Canada.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympians celebrated in Central
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-24/olympians-celebrated-central

Olympians celebrated in Central
Published: Friday, August 24, 2012

His smiles were far and few between as is his demeanour. But this didn’t stop hundreds of fans from showering Keshorn Walcott with an outpouring of love on Wednesday evening. The fans, dressed in the national colours, waited for three hours for the Olympic team’s caravan to arrive at Gilbert Park in California. When they came, aboard an open truck, a frowning Walcott offered tentative waves. But sailor Andrew Lewis jumped down and warmly greeted fans.  The police cleared the way and when the Olympians mounted the stage, the cheers were deafening. Walcott posed with fans and when asked to smile for the photographs, he responded: “I don’t smile.” Chairman of the Couva/Tabaquite/ Talparo Regional Corporation, Dave Persad, said it was difficult to isolate the medal-winning Olympians. “All of our finalists and our coaches made us proud. Without them we will not be here today,” he said.

However, Persad said tribute must also be paid to those who had excelled not just in sports but in literature and engineering as well. Meanwhile, Couva North MP Ramona Ramdial predicted that T&T will get 16 gold medals in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. She added that all of the Olympians had gone through rigorous training to achieve their places in their respective finals. Couva South MP Rudranath Indarsingh said the T&T 2012 Olympic team was the most successful to have represented T&T. He said the Olympians succeeded in boosting patriotism and challenged the business community to support the team as they prepare for the 2016 Games.

“It was the business owners from the Point Lisas Industrial Estate who support Keshorn and his fellow Olympians as they fly our red, white and black flag high,” Indarsingh said.

Junior Chutney champion Anthony Batson serenaded the team with his songs Rangle Dal and Sundar Popo’s hit tune Nanny and Nana. Keron Williams, aka “Wakaman,” who composed a song, We win Gold, on the night of  Walcott’s victory, also showered the Olympians with gratitude. The Olympians also received hampers from KC Confectionery, which is located in the heart of Couva. Later on, the motorcade travelled to Chaguanas where Walcott was given the key to the Borough of Chaguanas by Mayor Orlando Nagessar. The bandwagon rolled into the Saith Park area around 6.30 pm and even though the event was scheduled to start around 1.30 pm, the hundreds who gathered eagerly remained until the Olympians arrived. Nagessar praised the athletes for representing T&T with distinction at the Games. The Olympians were paraded throughout the town and through the nearby village of Felicity where they were warmly greeted and congratulated for their achievements.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
Sure even Keshorn must realize by now that there is no free lunch ! I could not believe it when I saw the Caravan still travelling and Keshorn have to pass out hampers ... has the boy had a good night sleep since he arrived from London ?

1]; } ?>