April 25, 2024, 06:16:48 PM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 102293 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Keshorn’s gets CAL’s youngest jet
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,165209.html

Keshorn’s gets CAL’s youngest jet
By Vernon Khelawan Thursday, August 23 2012

THE promise made by Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar to have one of Caribbean Airlines’ (CAL) aircraft adorned with the name Keshorn Walcott, this country’s only gold medallist at the recently concluded London 2012 Olympics, has been kept.

Late last week the fleet’s youngest Boeing 737-800 Next Generation aircraft, registered Y-SXM (St Maarten) and just about a year old, was brought into the hangar at Piarco after it landed from a North American flight and in just about an hour had Keshorn Walcott’s name painted on the fuselage, before almost immediately taking off on a flight to New York.

Walcott created the greatest upset at the London Olympics when he threw the javelin 84.58 metres to cop the top spot in the field event, which for decades have been dominated by the Europeans making himself the youngest winner ever in that sport.

Chairman Rabindra Moonan told Business Day, the process took very little time to be completed. When asked why the choice of the B-737 and not one of the larger B-767s, the first of which is expected to arrive in the country tomorrow, Moonan gave three reasons for the decision.

He said the company wanted the name to be on the youngest aircraft of the fleet and secondly the B-737 has a lower profile (stands lower to the ground) and the name could be more easily seen, whereas the B-767, although a much older aircraft, stands very high off the ground. Additionally, the B-767s would be used almost exclusively on the London service and that’s where the Olympics were held, while the B-737 is on all CAL’s North American and Caribbean services, “where we need to send the message of our success”.

Moonan said that in the not-too-distant future, a small ceremony will be held at Piarco to officially mark the event.

Meanwhile the airline’s third brand new turbo prop ATR, registered TTC, which arrived a week ago and is awaiting its final certification, was pressed into service at the weekend to take members of the Defence Force to Tobago for celebrations marking the 50th Anniversary of the country’s Independence. While the aircraft cannot carry fare-paying passengers until the company gets the green light from the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA), it was allowed to transport the soldiers to the sister isle.

As for ATR # 4, no set time has been given for its arrival in Port-of-Spain, the brand new aircraft is ready for delivery and has been for some time, although Business Day has been informed that arrangements are currently being made to raise the money (US$19 million) to pay for the plane, which will be registered TTD whenever its gets to Trinidad.

Although the first of the two B-767s leased from Lan Chile is expected tomorrow, it would not operating the transatlantic service because there would still be some legal and certification issues to be completed.

Those aircraft were specifically chosen to do the POS-London Gatwick (LGW) service which began last June 14, but some regulatory and oversight challenges debarred that from happening, forcing CAL to lease a similar aircraft for the service.

Robert Corbie, acting CEO, told Business Day last week that while the aircraft are on the ground they would be used for refresher training for both cockpit and cabin crews. It is anticipated that the TTCAA would do everything in its power to have the certification process concluded in the shortest possible period, to allow the aircraft to begin their transAtlantic flights.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott’s manager hails national award
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37:30 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,165674.html

Walcott’s manager hails national award
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Saturday, September 1 2012

Yesterday, Olympic Men’s javelin gold medallist, Keshorn Walcott became the youngest ever Trinidad and Tobago national to receive the nation’s highest and most prestigious award, the Order of the Republic.

Walcott was the only 2012 Olympian to receive this iconic recognition, while eight other London Olympic medallists attained the Humming Bird Medal (gold). They were the 4x400m Relay bronze medal team of Lalonde Gordon, Ade Alleyne-Forte, Jarrin Solomon, Deon Lendore and the 4x100m equivalent of Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, Marc Burns, Keston Bledman and Emmanuel Callender.

These nine athletes have joined an illustrious list of 70 other highly respectable and historic locals who were also on the receiving end of some of this country’s highest accolades.

Speaking to Newsday before Walcott received the Order of Republic of Trinidad and Tobago yesterday, Walcott’s manager, Sean Roach expressed high levels of gratitude with his javelin prospect’s decorated achievements, both on and off the field.

Roach admitted that Walcott’s rewards were a true reflection of hard work and dedication by the coaching staff, managerial team and the gold medallist. “It’s a success for him (Walcott), it’s a success for me and it’s a great success for Trinidad and Tobago as a whole. We deserved it and the country deserves it as well. This is what happens when you work hard. I have dreamt about this for sometime now. By Keshorn having all this success and achieving a lot of his personal goals, at the same time, I am also achieving mine,” he stated. Even though Roach was grateful for all the national, regional and international recognition, he was hopeful that their winnings would inspire various forms of athletic development. He believed that this would be key in TT’s success at the forthcoming 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro and beyond.

“While we made it happen (Olympic gold), I would prefer if we can create multiple Keshorn Walcotts. Athletes that can go out there and bring home more gold for Trinidad and Tobago, so that when an Olympic contingent is returning from a Games they will be coming back with over 10 gold medals. It’s a proud and honourable feeling,” he added. Walcott’s coach, Cuban Ismael Lopez Mastrapa, also shared similar sentiments and credited the young athletic stalwart on his national achievement.

“I feel very happy for him and Trinidad and Tobago. He has been working very hard over the years and he is a good kid,” he said. Speaking from Texas yesterday, Keshorn’s brother, Elton (national triple-jumper) was elated with the news of his brother’s national recognition.

He explained that this was the type of motivation athletes needed to further elevate themselves competitively.

“I think that the honour being placed upon him shows that dedication towards living a better life gives you the drive needed to excel. He is a great athlete. He is the example of a success story written in the stars!” he exclaimed.

Elton admitted, his brother’s Olympic achievement has increased the awareness of field sports and highlighted the less popular athletes, who came from much simpler backgrounds.

“It (Olympic gold) has already done a lot for the sport. He has shown that there is versatility in track and field and there is a lot of talent in the rural areas,” Elton added.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn Walcott says "Choose Sport"...
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,165635.html

CHOOSE SPORT
By Andre Bagoo Saturday, September 1 2012

THE YOUNGEST ever recipient of the country’s highest award, Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott, 19, last night issued an appeal to the youth of the nation to turn away from the temptations of a life of crime and instead choose sport.

“Sport is a good way of not wasting time out there,” he said when asked what message he had for youth. “You should consider it an option. It’s the better option for young people out there to go into rather than going into crime.”

He was speaking to the media at Queen’s Hall, St Ann’s, minutes after he rose from the front row of the hall, took eight steps up to President George Maxwell Richards to receive the Order of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, 20 days after winning gold at London, throwing the javelin 84.58 metres.

Walcott dedicated the award of the nation’s highest honour to the people of Trinidad and Tobago.

“I am proud to have received this knowing that it was big surprise to me when I was told. I am just really happy right now. I was told this week,”Walcott said. “Other than winning the Olympic gold medal this is another big achievement in itself, getting the highest award of Trinidad and Tobago. I would have to dedicate this award to the people of Trinidad and Tobago for all the support that was given.”

He said there was now “a little” pressure on him to top his achievements to date. But he has more in store.

“There are all these things that I want to accomplish and this is just a stepping stone,” he said. “I believe that I can achieve once again. Topping this is going to be hard but I am going to try my best. It is going to put a little bit of pressure on me knowing that the expectation is there. So I am just going to go out to represent.” Walcott said he was not abandoning the people of his home town, Toco.

“I have not abandoned you guys as some people have been saying and I am coming up there soon,” he said.

Another award recipient Justice Anthony Lucky had advice for young people too, this time those thinking of a career in law.

“Always aim for excellence and to realise that the law enlightens itself to you,” he said. “Law is a jealous mistress. You have to be dedicated, committed and honest and honesty pays off in the long run. When you are honest, your conscience is clear. If you aim for this and for excellence, you will achieve. As St Benedict said, pray and work.”

Lucky who was awarded the Chaconia Medal (Gold) nine years after retiring from the bench to become a judge at the International Tribunal of the Law of the Sea (ITLS), added, “I thank God for blessing me with graces and divine mercy so that I can serve Him, my family and the community and our country. I pray that he will continue to use me in service to mankind throughout the world. I wish to thank my family wife, Cintra, my daughters both here and abroad as well as my working colleagues in the ITLS in Hamburg Germany.”

Lucky is the father of two: Antonia and Gillian Lucky, the head of the Police Complaints Authority and also a lawyer.

Other recipients of National Awards last night included John Babb, veteran journalist, who urged young reporters out there to be prepared for work.

“Young reporters out there – this is very hard work,” Babb told reporters. “You got to be on time, dig in the trenches and come up with some accurate reporting. You have to work. You have to work. Journalists now want to go onto Facebook and that’s it. That is not enough.” He warned that poor standards in the media will worsen unless journalists are drilled.

“Do not waste time,” he said. To media houses, he said, “take them, the young ones, and drill them from morning until night week after week after week.” He remembered the days when journalists had to spend months just to earn a byline. Babb received the Hummingbird Medal (Gold).

Chairman of the Trinidad and Tobago Cancer Society, Dr George Laquis, received the Chaconia Medal (Gold) for service to medicine.

“This award is all for the Cancer Society,” he said. “It was given to me but it is really for the Cancer Society and will help us in the fight against this disease.”

Attorney Lynette Seebaran-Suite, who was awarded one of the Medals for the Development of Women (Gold) said, “I am very proud to get this medal, given in recognition of work done in respect to the development of women over the years and on behalf of the various organisations I belong to.” She said the award was a tribute to the work of organisations such as ASPIRE, Family Planning Association and the Network of NGOs for the Advancement of Women.

Fashion designer Peter Elias, wearing Georgio Armani, who was awarded a Humming Bird Medal (Silver) said, “I feel happy and humble, having worked with the Miss TT process for more than 15 years as part of a larger team. I felt I gave it my all and when I look back I realise that we really did well not only in terms of competition results but in terms of putting Caribbean fashion out there and telling the world about our unique style.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott celebrated by Cuban Ambassador
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,166189.html

Walcott celebrated by Cuban Ambassador
Thursday, September 13 2012

KESHORN WALCOTT, Trinidad and Tobago Olympic javelin gold medallist, was honoured by Cuban Ambassador to TT Humberto Rivero Rosario at the Cuban Ambassador’s residence at Westmoorings on Tuesday evening.

According to Walcott’s manager Shawn Roach, “Basically they just wanted to show appreciation for the success that was brought back between the parties of myself, Keshorn and his coach (Ismael Mastrapa).

“And his coach being Cuban, they felt really proud that he was able to assist Keshorn in getting a medal. They wanted to show that the link between Cuba and Trinidad has proven well.” Roach added, “They wanted to, at least, let Keshorn know he’s always welcome in Cuba, whenever he wants to (go) and train. Sometimes, his schedule takes him to Cuba. This year, he was actually in Cuba for a month and next year he’ll be in Cuba for two months.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn admits he’s still in shock
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2012, 01:04:16 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-09-13/keshorn-admits-he%E2%80%99s-still-shock

Keshorn admits he’s still in shock
...it’s still catching up with me says gold medallist

Published: Thursday, September 13, 2012
Clayton Clarke

Olympic men’s javelin champion Keshorn Walcott is still in shock at his historic performance at the London Olympic Games on August 12. The 19-year-old Toco resident bettered the national record of 84.51 metres to stun the field and the world. Speaking at press conference with 18 of this country’s London Olympians at the Hyatt Regency yesterday, Walcott shared that the was still in awe with the achievement. “I have been trying to cope with people telling me what I did but it is still catching up with me. Just making the Olympics was one of my major goals then advancing to the finals but (winning) a medal was never there (on my list).” The Toco Secondary School graduate added that he was going to London for the experience. “I was not a favourite so coming out as the champion was a surprise for me and the country I am sure.” The four-time Carifta champion added that the support he has been given is overwhelming.

“Coming home and seeing the support has been shocking and going around the country and seeing so many persons happy (about my achievement) has been wonderful,” said Walcott. Many of Walcott’s Olympic teammates were inspired by his accomplishment. Pistol shooter Roger Daniel boasted that he felt proud of Walcott. “I was travelling (when he won the gold). He made me feel proud to be wearing the red, white and black. It is tremendous. That was the high point of the Games for me.”

World Championships women’s 400m hurdles bronze medallist Josanne Lucas indicated that she too was proud. “He did wonderful,” said Lucas, who did not compete at the Games as she was injured prior to travelling to London. But her absence did not stop her from celebrating the feat, adding: “I was not there to see him personally but I put on my national uniform and sang along when the national anthem was played. It was a proud moment to live for.” Reserve on the men’s 4x400m relay, Machel Cedenio, expressed that it was a wonderful feeling seeing Walcott take the title. “I was at the stadium when he was throwing and supporting him at every round. When he won we all jumped up and celebrated.  We were proud to be a Trinbagonians,” said the quarter-miler.

Also present were the men’s 4x100m bronze medal team of Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Marc Burns and Emmanuel Callender. Thompson said the team’s bronze medal run after taking silver in 2008 in Beijing shows the consistency of this country’s sprinters. “Over the years, we have formed a chemistry. I have to commend the guys because no one was not fully healthy as they experienced knicks and knacks (injuries) throughout the year. So for us to pull it together and win another medal is a huge accomplishment.” Also present were double bronze medallist quarter-miler Lalonde Gordon, swimmer George Bovell III, triple-jumper Ayanna Alexander, hurdler Jehue Gordon, sailor Andrew Lewis, sprinters Rondell Sorillo and Jamol James, cyclist Njisane Phillip and shot putter Cleopatra Borel.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott's manager-He was just hoping to qualify for Olympic finals
« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2013, 11:41:36 PM »
Walcott's manager-He was just hoping to qualify for Olympic finals
By Sincratio Hueben | Sunday, 24 March 2013 23:52

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - Keshorn Walcott made clean sweep of all the major awards following his historic gold medal triumph in the men's javelin at the 2012 Olympic Games.   

On Friday, four time Carifta champion, won the First Citizens Sports Foundation Sportsman of the Year. Walcott became this country's second ever Olympic champion after Hasely Crawford who won the men's 100m dash at the 1976 Montreal, Canada Olympics.

Walcott's manager Sean Roach said the champion success in London was unexpected as "just qualifying for the quadrennial Games was his major goal." The 19 year old was content with dominating the junior scene.

"One goal was to become number one on the 2012 World Junior rankings and wanted to be number one from his first throw. He was number 9 at the end of 2011. Another goal was to throw a record at every meet and end off his final year at Carifta with a win.

"His team also wanted him to win the world Junior Championships and qualify for the Olympics. Attaining the gold (in the London) was never in the picture. But in London we said he got so far why not go not go one step further," explained Roach.

Roach added that Walcott is a hard worker. "He still training hard and never miss a practice and you can see he could not be here tonight. He wants to continue to be successful and make up proud." Roach, a former national high jumper, added that Walcott will looking to continue the phenomenal year he had in 2012.

"We are looking at just continuing to be successful. Now he is doing his final preparations (in Cuba) before starting competition. He has not taken a competitive throw since the Olympics. He will compete in his first meet here at home before heading out to the Diamond League in Europe. His main goal is the World Championships in Moscow, Russia from August 10 to 18 .

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2013, 02:09:43 AM »
Keshorn Walcott
Published in Carifta Greats

Trinidad & Tobago javelin thrower Keshorn Walcott was born on the second of April 1993.

The Shocker

On the final evening at the London Olympic Games, Walcott performed a feat that was certainly the shocker of the London Games.

Also, no male athlete from any country other than Cuba in the Central America and Caribbean region has ever made it to a final in the javelin; much less win the Gold in the javelin.

It is also quite unusual for any male athlete in the Americas, other than the Cubans, to reach an Olympic or World Championships final.

It is different with the females though, as Cuban Maria Colon won the Gold medal in the javelin in Moscow in 1980 and another Cuban, Osleidyz Mendez captured the Gold medal in Athens and the Bronze medal in Sydney. She also held the World record for the event.

Quick Accent

Walcott rose quickly in the event.

In 2009 he participated in the Bressanoe IAAF World Youth Championships in the javelin, throwing 66.72m (218’11”) with the 700g instrument.

In the Carifta Games in the Cayman Islands in 2010 he threw 63.41m (208’-1/2”) moving to the 800g javelin.

At the Central American and Caribbean Jr. Championships held in Santo Domingo, Walcott won with a 67.01m (219’10-1/4”) throw. Moving to the IAAF World Junior Championships in Moncton, Canada, he finished ninth in the second qualifying group with a throw of 66.05m (216’8-1/2”).

He improved to 72.04m (236’4”) in Montego Bay, Jamaica in 2011, at the Carifta Games for the victory. Then at the Pan Am Games in Guadalajara, Mexico in October of 2001, Walcott further improved his best to 75.77m (248’6-1/2”).

At the Carifta Games in Bermuda at Easter of 2012, Walcott improved his personal best yet another time, achieving 77.59m (254’6-1/2”) for the Gold. That July he made a giant throw of 82.83m (271’8-1/2”) at the Central American and Caribbean Jr. Championships in Salvador, El Salvador to win. This was a new championships record as well as an Olympic qualifying distance.

At the IAAF World Jr. Championships in Barcelona several weeks later Walcott won the Gold medal with a throw of 78.64m (258’0”) on his final attempt.

A month later, the kid from Trinidad & Tobago shocked the world by winning the Olympic Gold with a throw of 84.58m (277’6”) another Trinidad & Tobago national record.

The shock went all the way to the Scandinavian countries who have dominated this event for years.

Here was a “young boy”, who nobody had ever heard about until the World Junior Championships, winning the greatest prize of all, The Olympic Gold.

Walcott’s Place in Javelin History

The World record in this event is held by Czech Jan Zelezn’y at 98.48m (323’1”), done in 1996. Zelezn’y is World and Olympic champion also.

Walcott is just eighty-fifth on the World All Time list.

Cuba’s Guerlermo Martinez holds the Central American and Caribbean record done in Guadalajara at the Pan American Games in 2011. His record is 87.20m (286’1”) (A).

Walcott is third on the All Time Central American and Caribbean All Time list and seventh on the All Time NACAC list.

Born in Toco in the northwest corner of Trinidad, Walcott was coached by, would you believe, Cuban Ismael Lopez.

Walcott was the youngest athlete ever to capture an Olympic javelin Gold medal. He also was the first athlete to win both World Junior and Olympic crown in the same year.

Rising Star Award

With a year like 2012 Walcott could not escape winning the Male Rising Star of the Year at the IAAF Gala in Barcelona in November. This award was presented by none other than the World record holder Jan Zelezn’y.

Alpheus Finlayson

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »
...Says consistency key for Walcott
Story Created: Apr 1, 2013 at 9:29 PM ECT

“If Keshorn Walcott never wins anything else in his lifetime, he would have already achieved the ultimate,” says former 100m Olympic silver medalist Ato Boldon.
But the USA-based Boldon is backing the London 2012 javelin champion to continue to making great strides in the sport.
Walcott, who only turns 20 today, was a surprise winner of the Olympic gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London with a 84.58 metres throw which made him the youngest-ever Olympic champion in javelin history, and also the second non-European to ever win javelin gold. Prior to beating Ukraine’s Oleksandr Pyatnytsa and Finland’s Antti Ruuskanen, Walcott was the 2012 javelin World junior champion in Barcelona, but still only considered a junior athlete.
“I am actually one of those persons betting on Keshorn Walcott simply for the reason that he was still so green in London and is open to so much improvement. I back him, not necessarily to win the World Championship, but to continue to improve.”
Boldon said the task for Walcott’s Cuban coach Ismael Mastrapa is to ensure that the young Trinidadian gives consistent performances now that he is competing as a senior athlete this season.
“No matter what Keshorn did at the Olympics it would have been a great achievement simply to have been in the final. What he has to concentrate now is on personal growth and improving consistently, rather than just winning World Championships and such,” Boldon said.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
Thanks Aviator, brought goosebumps and tears to my eyes

Keshorn Walcott Olympic medal ceremony.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xi8ee2tgYdY&amp;feature=channel&amp;list=UL" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xi8ee2tgYdY&amp;feature=channel&amp;list=UL</a>

dem cats on de podium with Keshorn probably saying " where the F@#k is Trinidad and Tobago?"  :rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2013, 08:47:08 PM »
I had an interesting conversation in Vevey, Switzerland at a Nestle event with Andreas Thorkildsen, he of the 2 Olympic javelin golds and a world title plus 3 world silvers. First of all, he was absolutely tickled at the fact that Keshorn Walcott won the Olympic gold, because of how it shook up the event, and how he did it, making everyone choke trying to chase his first throw in London. More importantly, I got a chance to ask him about Keshorn, and if he was 'the real deal', as I have said repeatedly he seems to be, although I know nothing about the event. "Absolutely" was his response. "Keshorn has every tool you want in a javelin thrower, and he will be around for a long time. He will have a dip in form perhaps in the next few years during his transition to being a pro, as I myself did, but watch out with that kid. He also has a great coach" I needed to get this out there so that Trinis, some of whom have already started the inevitable march towards writing him off as a one-year wonder, can know that someone with no reason to do so, who is one of the best ever in that event, says Keshorn will be better than he already has been. Just leave him alone with the negativity.

Rumble young man, rumble.
BORN TO DO IT

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #250 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
I had an interesting conversation in Vevey, Switzerland at a Nestle event with Andreas Thorkildsen, he of the 2 Olympic javelin golds and a world title plus 3 world silvers. First of all, he was absolutely tickled at the fact that Keshorn Walcott won the Olympic gold, because of how it shook up the event, and how he did it, making everyone choke trying to chase his first throw in London. More importantly, I got a chance to ask him about Keshorn, and if he was 'the real deal', as I have said repeatedly he seems to be, although I know nothing about the event. "Absolutely" was his response. "Keshorn has every tool you want in a javelin thrower, and he will be around for a long time. He will have a dip in form perhaps in the next few years during his transition to being a pro, as I myself did, but watch out with that kid. He also has a great coach" I needed to get this out there so that Trinis, some of whom have already started the inevitable march towards writing him off as a one-year wonder, can know that someone with no reason to do so, who is one of the best ever in that event, says Keshorn will be better than he already has been. Just leave him alone with the negativity.

thank you for sharing cause we have plenty "experts" on this forum.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 17, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Yeah thanks for sharing this AB

I am wary of the culture of "inferiority complex" we grew up under and I believe is still strong in T&T.

I never did my best in an environment of --looking for the one negative in the midst of plenty positives.

I like what the football forum is doing with the positive messages to the NT.

We need to have a balanced approach BUT you can't go wrong with encouragement and belief in yourself and ourselves.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2013, 01:00:54 AM »

The only problem with this is keeping him away from the dotish politicians in TT that will fete him at every turn for their own selfish needs.

Hopefully his handlers will manage his training and development in such a manner that he remains focussed and is kept away from the politico
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn’s house ready
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
Keshorn’s house ready
Wednesday, September 3 2014 (T&T Newsday)

The house promised to Olympic gold medallist, Keshorn Walcott, has been completed and the keys will be handed over to him in a few days.

Housing Minister, Roodal Moonilal, disclosed this yesterday at a press conference at his ministry’s office, South Quay, Port-of-Spain.

Upon his return from the London Olympics in August 2012, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced several rewards for Walcott’s achievements including a house in Federation Park worth $2.5 million, 20,000 square feet of land and $1 million in cash.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:37:03 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
High praise for Cuban coach
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
High praise for Cuban coach
By Nicholas Clarke (T&T Guardian)
Published: Thursday, September 4, 2014

President of the T&T Olympic Committee Bryan Lewis has praised Cuban-born coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa for his impact on Olympic gold medallist Keshorn Walcott.

Following an injury-plagued 2013, Walcott bounced back to set new national javelin records at both last month’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and this weekend’s Zurich leg of the IAAF Diamond League.

Lewis said that Mustafah, who has worked with Walcott since 2009, had been instrumental in the 21-year-old’s good form.

“Keshorn’s success is a reflection of the hard work he has been putting in with his coach and team,” he said. “We are blessed to have a coach of Ismael Mustafah’s calibre working with our athletes. Obviously his programme is working.”

Lewis is attending a preparation forum in Brazil for the Rio 2016 Olympics. He said that while it would be premature to speculate about Walcott bringing home another gold medal in two years time, he was confident about his continued improvement.

“Once good health prevails, Ismael will have athletes where they need to be. He has an excellent understanding of sporting science and long term athletic development. He knows what needs to be done and where athletes need to be at particular points in time.”

Meanwhile, NAAA PRO Peter Samuel said that Walcott could take satisfaction from having answered his critics.

“You don’t break the national record twice within a month by fluke. A lot of people criticise him without understanding the sport properly. Keshorn is still only 21, which is very young for a javelin thrower. If you check the history of the event, a lot of athletes peak in their late 20s and early 30s. He’s still mastering his trade and will get better as the years go by.”

Samuel added that Walcott was on course for a stellar career.

“We in T&T like to write people off. He had an injury last year but he is over that now. This season he’s got better and better and the sky’s the limit for him... I foresee Keshorn throwing into the early 90s range within two years time and barring injury, I think he can be in three more Olympics.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lewis makes case for housing for athletes
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »
Lewis makes case for housing for athletes
Story Created: Mar 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Keshorn Walcott receives keys and plaque for new fully fitted house as reward for his Olympic gold

Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) president Brian Lewis’ proposal of an Elite Athlete Housing Assistance Programme is receiving positive support from sports and other  stakeholders in Trinidad and Tobago.

Lewis, who said the housing programme would work along similar lines as the Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP), envisions that housing for national athletes would be geared towards those athletes who dedicate years of their youthful life to representing their country at Olympic and world level sport.

“Their choice to dedicate themselves to national duty and service through sport ostensibly place them at a significant social and economic disadvantage. This is a situation and a burden that must be addressed,” Lewis said via press release.

“Currently the burden is a de-motivating one for athletes. Representing T&T at the Olympic and world level should be considered national duty and service,” Lewis said.

The former Harvard rugby player said  unlike the EAAP, the housing programme would address team sports and Lewis is including team sports in the proposed #10golds24 athlete housing assistance programme.

“The TTOC is preparing a request to send to the relevant authorities with a view to having the proposed Athlete Housing Assistance Programme implemented as soon as possible,” he stated.

Lewis added that there are national athletes who have served the country with distinction for five years or more who need assistance to obtain HDC housing, and this initiative aims to give  priority  to those athletes similar to the priority given to members of the national security services.

“I am proposing that a similar policy be implemented for national sportsmen and women who have a history of long and meritorious service.

Just as is done with the Elite Athlete Assistance Programme, the national sport organisations and the TTOC are well positioned to clarify and confirm those athletes in both team and individual sports that merit favourably consideration under the Elite/High Performance Athlete Housing Assistance Programme,” Lewis explained

He said that a policy for housing for national sportsmen and women, with a priority on those who have represented T&T at Olympic and World level in both team and individual sports, would be a powerful statement of intent.

“This country’s athletes-sportsmen and women have earned the right to receive consideration. Dedication to national duty and service through sport must no longer place our athletes at a disadvantage and compromise their constitutional and human rights to the dignity of a roof over their heads.

“Implement a housing for national sportsmen and women aspect of the 100 houses a week distribution drive,” Lewis said.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:46:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott 7th in Ostrava
« Reply #256 on: May 27, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
Walcott 7th in Ostrava
...as Bolt claims 200m, Powell takes 100m

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on May 26, 2015, 8:48 pm AST (T&T Express)

Keshorn Walcott competing at Ostrava 2015

Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott finished seventh in the men's javelin, at the Ostrava Golden Spike IAAF World Challenge meet, in the Czech Republic, yesterday.

The reigning Olympic champion's best throw on the day was a season's best 81.56 metres, produced in the sixth and final round of the competition.

Julius Yego struck gold with a huge 86.88m effort-a new Kenyan national record. German Thomas Rohler (85.36m) finished second, while third spot went to Finland's 2007 world champion Tero Pitkamaki (83.96m).

Walcott's first throw was 81.22m, good enough for second spot after the opening round. He improved to 81.50m in round two, and stayed in the runner-up position.

By the end of the third round, however, Walcott was sixth, four throwers moving ahead of him. Among them was Yego, with his superb 86.88m effort. The reigning African and Commonwealth Games champion then opted to pass on his last three attempts.

Walcott threw 80.38m in round four, and 79.73m in the penultimate round. The 22-year-old Toco field athlete then closed off on a high, landing the spear 81.56m.

The Ostrava meet was Walcott's second outing this season. He opened his 2015 campaign on May 15 at the Doha Diamond League meet in Qatar, where he finished eighth with an 80.68m throw.

Usain Bolt was the star attraction in Ostrava. The Jamaican sprint legend emerged victorious in the men's 200 metres event. He stopped the clock at 20.13 seconds for a comfortable cushion on Isiah Young, the American finishing second in 20.35.

Another Jamaican sprinter, Asafa Powell won the men's 100m dash in 10.04 seconds. Young secured the runner-up spot in 10.13.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sergio DuFour's report on IAAF Ostrava track meet
Story Created: May 26, 2015 at 10:43 PM ECT (TV6TNT.com)

Keshorn Walcott was in action today at the IAAF World Challenge in Ostrava and managed a seventh placing with a 81.56metre effort.

He was the only T&T athlete in the competition, which witnessed Jamaican Usain Bolt in action in the 200m event and Asafa Powell took the 100m.

Click link to view report: http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Ostrava-track-meet---305105341.html

Ostrava - Men's Javelin Throw
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lx7cIysl-aU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lx7cIysl-aU</a>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:51:10 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott explodes at Golden Gala
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Walcott explodes at Golden Gala
Friday, June 5 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Keshorn Walcott sets new natonal record at Rome Golden Gala 2015

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO’S Keshorn Walcott stunned spectators at the IAAF Diamond League Meet in Rome yesterday, throwing the spear a fantastic 86.20 metres to snatch bronze in the Men’s Javelin event and smashing his own national record in the process.

The 2012 Olympic champion left it very late; in fact, it was his sixth and final throw that got him among the medals. In his first five attempts, Walcott had recorded distances of 79.52, 80.59, 78.77, 76.76 and 81.62, and seemed likely to finish out of the top three. However, the Toco-born athlete got everything right in his final throw, eclipsing his previous national mark of 85.77, set last year in Zurich.

The winner, Vitezslav Vesely of the Czech Republic had a best throw of 88.14, while Kenya’s Julius Yego (87.71) took the silver medal. Walcott’s effort on Thursday took him into fifth in the Diamond Ranking for 2015 with just one point; Vesely leads with five points.

Keshorn Walcott (T&T) 86.20m NR Javelin Rome Diamond League 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q0L1BSlyXbk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q0L1BSlyXbk</a>

Following his performance, the National Association of Athletics Administrations of Trinidad & Tobago (NAAA) issued a public congratulation to Keshorn on his achievement.

TT’s other athlete in Rome, Jehue Gordon, did not fare nearly as well. The World Champion, who fell and did not finish at the Prefontaine Classic last weekend, finished seventh yesterday from a field of nine in the 400 metre hurdles, clocking in 49.22 seconds; it was his fastest time for the year. American Johnny Dutch took the gold, as he did in Prefontaine, finishing slightly faster this time in 48.13.

Meanwhile, US sprinter Justin Gatlin maintained his run of form, taking the men’s 100 in 9.75; Frenchman Jimmy Vicaut was adjudged second after clocking the identical 9.98 as American Michael Rodgers. Jamaican Nesta Carter (10.06) finished fourth.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:05:50 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Record-breaking Walcott ...Olympic champ bags bronze at Golden Gala
« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
Record-breaking Walcott
Olympic champ bags bronze at Golden Gala

By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Jun 5, 2015, 12:01 am AST

HERCULEAN EFFORT: Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott competes in the Men's Javelin event at the Golden Gala, the 4th stage of IAAF Diamond League 2015 at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome, Italy, yesterday. —Photo: AFP

Keshorn Walcott saved his best for last at the Golden Gala IAAF Diamond League meet, in Rome, Italy, yesterday. In the sixth and final round of the men's javelin, the reigning Olympic champion landed the spear 86.20 metres—a new Trinidad and Tobago record—to grab bronze.

World champion Vitezslav Vesely struck gold in the event, the Czech Republic thrower producing an 88.14m effort. Silver went to Julius Yego, the reigning African and Commonwealth Games champion breaking his own Kenyan record with an 87.71m throw.

Walcott's 86.20m effort was 43 centimetres better than his previous national record, the 85.77m standard he had established in Zurich, Switzerland, last August.

World champion Jehue Gordon finished seventh in the Golden Gala men's 400m hurdles, the T&T athlete getting home in a season's best 49.22 seconds. Americans Johnny Dutch and Michael Tinsley finished first and second, respectively, clocking 48.13 and 48.34. Puerto Rico's Javier Culson was third in 48.65.

Another T&T athlete, Wayne Davis II clocked 13.84 seconds to finish ninth in the men's 110m hurdles. Russian Sergey Shubenkov earned gold, just getting the better of France's Garfield Darien. Both hurdlers got to the line in 13.23 seconds. American Jeff Porter, meanwhile, was third in 13.32.

On Tuesday, at the Aileen Meagher International Track Classic, in Canada, Kyle Greaux snapped up silver in the men's 200m in 21.30 seconds, behind Cuban Roberto Skyers (21.18) and ahead of Canadian Gavin Smellie (21.45). In the 100m dash, Greaux was seventh in a wind-aided 10.92. Barbadian Ramon Gittens clocked 10.40 for the win.

Greaux's T&T teammate, Alena Brooks seized silver in the women's 800m in two minutes, 09.33 seconds. American Bethany Praska emerged victorious in 2:05.99.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn Walcott sets T&T record in Rome
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
Keshorn Walcott sets T&T record in Rome
June 5th, 2015 8:54am (TrackAlerts.com)

Keshorn Walcott, Trinidad & Tobago Javelin National Record Holder.

Olympic Games champion Keshorn Walcott set a new Trinidad & Tobago national javelin record at the Golden Gala Pietro Mennea Diamond League Meet in Rome, Italy on Thursday (4 June) (Video Below).

Walcott hurled the iron spear out to 86.20m to improve his previous national mark of 85.77 achieved at the Weltklasse Meet in Zurich, Switzerland on 28 August last year.

The new national figures were good enough to earn Walcott third, his best placing for the year.

In a release, the National Association of Athletics Administrations of Trinidad & Tobago (NAAA), sent congratulatory message to Walcott.

"This is the third time in ten months that he has broken the National Record," the release said.

In Rome, the Toco javelin star was beaten by reigning World Champion Vitezslav  Vesely  of Czech Republic and Commonwealth champion Julius Yego of Kenya.  Vesely threw a world leading mark of 88.14 to take the top spot while broke his Kenya record with a 87.71m effort.

Also, "The NAAA's will also like to congratulate Jehue Gordon on his season's best (49.22) in the 400m Hurdles also in Rome. It was good seeing Jehue back on the track after he crashed out in the same event just five days ago in Eugene Oregon."

Keshorn Walcott (T&T) 86.20m NR Javelin Rome Diamond League 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q0L1BSlyXbk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q0L1BSlyXbk</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn’s coach predicts ‘something better’
« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2015, 11:30:26 PM »
Keshorn’s coach predicts ‘something better’
By JOEL BAILEY Saturday, June 6 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Keshorn Walcott alongside his Cuban coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa after training session

ISMAEL LOPEZ Mastrapa, coach of Trinidad and Tobago’s second Olympic gold medallist, javelin thrower Keshorn Walcott, is pleased with the improvement shown by the 22-year-old, who broke his national record at the IAAF Diamond League Meet in Rome, Italy on Thursday.

Walcott earned a bronze medal with a distance of 86.20 metres, bettering his previous standard of 85.77 which he registered last year.

In a telephone interview yesterday, the Cuban-born Mastrapa commented, “I feel happy of course.

We (were) waiting for that. I was not surprised for him because this year our training has been good.

“He improved a lot from last year,” Mastrapa added.

“That’s why I was not surprised, but we’re waiting for something better.”

Mastrapa noted that Walcott will be aiming to reach peak form ahead of the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada from July 21-26, as well as the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China from August 22-30.

He said, “the World Championships is coming. We are using, for preparation for the World Championships, the Pan Am Games.

We think that he will continue improving if he keeps at it.

He have a little problem with the left ankle but we hope that everything is going to be okay.” But the National Championships are scheduled from June 26-28 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Mastrapa stated, “he comes back from Europe next week.

We will continue in preparation for the Pan Am (Games) and the World Championships. Of course he will take part in the National Championships.”

With the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil around the corner, Walcott’s coach said, “to keep at that level, he has to compete with the best in the world.

He has to compete at a high level. That’s our goal.

“I was waiting on that ‘jump’ to 86 metres,” he added. “He’s improved on everything from last year.”

Concerning Walcott’s ankle, Mastrapa stated, “the ankle is getting better but elite athletes, they have to deal with those kind of problems. But it’s okay.”
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:46:10 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn breaks javelin record again
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:09 PM »
Keshorn breaks javelin record again
Monday, June 8 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Keshorn Walcott breaking records and inspiring

OLYMPIC CHAMPION Keshorn Walcott set a new national javelin mark and Cleopatra Borel produced a superb shot putt effort, as Trinidad and Tobago made its best showing at the IAAF Diamond League for the year, picking up a silver and a bronze medal in Birmingham yesterday.

Walcott reset his national javelin mark for the second time in the space of three days, hurling the spear 86.43 metres to earn his second-successive bronze medal, while Borel produced an 18.80m throw to take silver in the Women’s shot putt.

Walcott’s second-successive bronze medal came in a drama-filled javelin contest among the same three men who mounted the podium in Rome on Thursday last.

Kenyan Julius Yego led from the opening round with a distance of 85.95 metres, only for Walcott to eclipse that in the third round, with his best effort of 86.43m. The lead changed hands again as World Champion Vitezslav Vesely of the Czech Republic produced an 88.18m throw with his final effort; but Yego had the final say, hurling the spear a fantastic 91.39m with his last effort.

It was a Diamond League record, an African record and the best in the world since 2006.

Aside from his second-successive bronze medal, the Toco-born Walcott had the satisfaction of confirming his return to form, following a series of unremarkable performances in recent times. Yesterday’s throw went 0.66 metres further than last Thursday’s effort of 85.77m.

In the Women’s shot putt, Borel produced her best for the day with her final effort. It was 0.88 metres behind the winning throw of 19.68m that earned Germany’s Christina Schwanitz the gold, and Borel left four Americans, a Hungarian and a British athlete all in her wake.

Sprinter Keston Bledman finished fifth in the men’s 100m heats in 10.11 seconds, the ninth-fastest of the 16 entrants. The American Marvin Bracy won the final in 9.93 seconds, ahead of Britain’s Adam Gemili and American Mike Rodgers, who both clocked 9.97. Jamaica’s Nesta Carter was fourth in 10 seconds flat.

TT quarter-miler Jarrin Solomon contested the Men’s 300 metres and finished eighth and last in 33.22 seconds.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Borel silver, Walcott bronze but javelin record falls again
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2015, 10:19:21 PM »
Borel silver, Walcott bronze but javelin record falls again
Published: Monday, June 8, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Keshorn Walcott...second bronze medal in Diamond League in four days.

Four days after resetting the national javelin record in Rome, Keshorn Walcott did it again, raising his and T&T’s best ever mark to 86.44m for another third place finish at the latest Diamond League leg, yesterday in Birmingham, England. The event also saw shot putter Cleopatra Borel claiming second place with a top class effort of 18.80 metres which put her sixth overall on the world leading list.

With one scratch, all five other throws were in excess of the 80-metre mark, the third of which gave the 22-year-old another confidence booster ahead of next month’s Pan American Games and August’s IAAF World Championships. His other efforts were 80.56, 85.21, 85.59 and 84.97m.

This followed last Thursday’s national breaking throw for Walcott, who placed third in Rome with an 86.20m effort. It would also mean that Walcott broke the national record for the fourth time in under a year. He did it twice at the beginning and end of August last year, when he threw 85.28m in a qualifying event for the Commonwealth Games and then 85.77m at the Zurich leg of the 2014 IAAF Diamond League.

Yesterday’s javelin programme was regarded among the most dramatic and eventful in Diamond League history with that discipline hosting the most revered group of athletes in any of the other track and field events on the day.

An exceptionally special day for the traditional favourites in the men’s javelin, Kenyan Julius Yego, last year’s Commonwealth gold medallist, won the leg on his final throw with an incredible 91.39m effort, the best throw in the world this year. In fact, Yego’s effort also broke the African record and was the best javelin throw by any athlete since 2006. World champion Vitezslav Vesely finished second with an 88.18m, his best of the year.

Yego took an early lead with an 85.95m throw on his first attempt, significantly better than 80.56m opener. However, Walcott and Yeho then exchanged leads by the third round after the former threw his national record breaking 86.43 effort.

Yego, on the same round, again took the lead with a 86.53m hurl. But prior to Yego’s final hurl,  Vesely also took a turn in the lead when he seemingly won the leg with a season best effort of 88.18m.

No one thrower, including Walcott was able to respond  to Vesely, with the exception of Yego who lit up the arena with his best ever effort on the final throw of the night.

There was confusion and debate as to the legitimacy of the mark given that the spear fell out of the sector given that they had not been extended beyond 87 metres.

And, even after it was measured, the judged decided it was outside of the sector.

It took all of 20 minutes, even after the meeting ended, for the officials to reverse their decision and to award Yego the victory and a legitimate personal, national continental and IAAF Diamond League record and the world leading mark.

At the end of the event, Yego went within one point of Vesely on the Diamond League rankings with six points, while Walcott remains tied in fourth with two points.

Keston Bledman lined up in the men’s 100m heats but was unable to make it to the final which was eventually won by USA’s Marvin Brady, who clocked 9.93 seconds, followed by runners-up Adam Gemili of the UK and the other American Michael Rodgers, who tied in 9.97. Nesta Carter of Jamaica placed fourth in ten seconds.

Bledman ran 10.11 seconds in the first round, one spot behind France’s Jimmy Vicaut who barely made it into the final with 10.09 seconds. Kim Collins of St Kitts was also unable to progress to the final after he finished fifth in the heats clocking 10.17 seconds.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Record re-set ...Walcott throws 86.43m for Birmingham bronze
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
Record re-set
Walcott throws 86.43m for Birmingham bronze

By Kwame Laurence
Published on Jun 8, 2015, 1:00 am AST (T&T Express)

Keshorn Walcott sets new T&T national record again!

Keshorn Walcott re-set his own Trinidad and Tobago men's javelin record at the Sainsbury's Birmingham Grand Prix IAAF Diamond League meet in England, yesterday.

The reigning Olympic champion threw 86.43 metres to improve on the 86.20m standard he had established in Rome, Italy, last Thursday. Walcott's new national record earned him bronze in yesterday's competition.

Walcott's series of throws was impressive. He opened at 80.56m, and followed up with an 85.21m effort. The 86.43m T&T record came in round three, and was followed by an 85.59m throw. Walcott fouled in the fifth round, but bounced back to land the spear 84.97m in the sixth and final round.

Julius Yego had the statisticians busy, joining the 90-metre club with a huge 91.39m effort in round six. The monster throw re-set the Kenyan and African records. Czech Republic's reigning world champion, Vitezslav Vesely threw 88.18m to snap up silver.

Watch the video 'Keshorn Walcott sets new national record'
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yAK144M7TTE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yAK144M7TTE</a>

Meanwhile, T&T's Cleopatra Borel threw the iron ball a season's best 18.80m to pick up silver in the women's shot put, behind Germany's Christina Schwanitz (19.68m). However, Jarrin Solomon trailed the field in the men's 300m, the T&T athlete finishing eighth in 33.22 seconds. South Africa's Wayde van Niekirk won in 31.63.

In the men's 100m, T&T sprinter Keston Bledman clocked 10.11 seconds to finish fifth in heat one and ninth overall in the qualifying round, just missing out on a top-eight finish and a lane in the final. American Marvin Bracy topped the championship race in 9.93.

At the Flanders Cup, in Belgium, on Saturday, T&T's Josanne Lucas triumphed in the women's 400m hurdles in 57.61 seconds.

At the Jim Bush Track and Field Championships, in California, USA, T&T athlete, Mikel Thomas struck gold in the men's 110m hurdles in 13.39 seconds.

Janeil Bellille seized silver in the women's 400m hurdles in a season's best 56.72 seconds. Magnolia Howell was sixth in the women's 400m in 54.96, and seventh in the 200m in 23.95.

In Florida, Semoy Hackett, back in competition after serving a 28-month doping ban, opened her season in fine style, securing silver in the Star Athletics Sprint Classic women's 200m. The T&T sprinter completed the half-lap race in 22.81 seconds. Shermund Allsop clocked 10.51 to finish second in the men's 100m “C” race.

At the New Jersey International Invitational, Andre Marcano bagged bronze in the men's 100m dash in 10.70 seconds. In the qualifying round, Marcano clocked 10.63, and Lalonde Gordon got to the line in 10.88.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

VIDEO; http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-Keshorn-on-NAAA-Meet--7450---309683531.html

Keshorn on NAAA Meet

Even though Olympic gold medalist Keshorn Walcott is getting set to compete at the NAAA's national championships this weekend, he isn't taking the meet too seriously. In fact, his goal is to shine at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing this summer, with the hope of medaling. We met up with Walcott while he was training at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott goes for ‘Worlds’ redemption
« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »
Walcott goes for ‘Worlds’ redemption
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH Friday, June 26 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Keshorn Walcott with javelers Julius Yego, Tero Pitkamaki & Vitezslav Vesely in Birmingham

AFTER FAILING to finish in the final top 10 at the 14th edition of the IAAF World Championships in Russia two years ago, Olympic men’s javelin champion Keshorn Walcott is intent on restoring his international competitive presence when the 15th version of the decorated track and field event runs off in Beijing, China, from August 22-30.

And even though the 22-year old recently reset his national record at back-to-back Diamond League events in Rome, Italy (86.20 metres) and Zurich, Switzerland (86.43m) earlier this month, Walcott is determined to better his performance this time around, after a shaky showing at the Worlds in 2013. Presently in a pre-Olympic year, the Toco-bred athlete dismissed early preparations for the 2016 Summer Games just yet, and has decided to direct all focus on the Beijing Champs in August.

“I currently feel no pressure for the Olympics because my goals haven’t been set for Brazil as yet,” said Walcott. “This is because I really want to focus on the World Championships. I had a disappointing performance last time around and I really want to redeem myself. The World Championships is on my mind and I really want to put forward my best. Once I do well this year there (China), its going to be a confidence boost for me going into the Olympic year.”

The reigning national champion admitted that prior to his recent distances, he struggled a bit in other competitions worldwide. Pleased with his improvements under ace throw coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa, Walcott also revealed that his hectic season ahead will be focused mainly on maintaining his form throughout and until Rio de Janeiro.

Since his historic golden throw at the London Games, the 2012 World Junior Championships winner has been increasingly competing on the world stage among the globe’s best athletes. He has also spent a large amount of travelling with these world renowned field athletes and has been constantly amplifying his knowledge of the sport.

“I learn more by talking to them,” he said. “We travel a lot together so we share a lot of information amongst each about training and things like that. “Everybody has their individual strengths and specific techniques. But there are some similarities in the javelin throw that we all need to know, so by watching, and talking with each other, we all help each other out.”

Walcott is presently nursing a minor ankle injury but is confident that he will fully recover for the National Senior Track and Field Championships, which begins today at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

His next major international event will be the Diamond League meet in Lausanne, Switzerland on July 9.

“I know I’m still young and still learning the sport. Knowing that a lot of these guys have been involved in the sport approximately five to 10 years more than me, it’s great to know that I’m able to be up there with them. I still have a lot more to go and more improvements still to make.

Being able to compete with these guys now, its still a huge learning process for me getting used to top flight competition. When you see them at the Olympics or World Championships, it’s not really going to be any new faces so there’s no intimidation or fear by me,” he ended.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:58:56 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott returns home for championship record and first win of the year
« Reply #266 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
29 JUN 2015 Report, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Walcott returns home for championship record and first win of the year

Keshorn Walcott at the 2015 Trinidad and Tobago Championships
(Curtis Chase/Trinidad Express) © Copyright

Global champions Keshorn Walcott and Jehue Gordon enjoyed contrasting wins at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain on the final day of the Trinidad and Tobago Championships on Sunday (28).

Walcott was in a class of his own in the javelin, the London 2012 Olympic Games gold medallist landed his spear at 84.84m in the first round to break his own championship record.

Walcott followed up with an 82.71m throw in round two.

Having thoroughly entertained his adoring home fans, the 22-year-old national hero then passed on his last four attempts and eventually won by more than seven metres.

Even though Walcott was a little down on his recent form in Europe, where he set national records of 86.20m and 86.43m at the IAAF Diamond League meetings in Rome and then Birmingham, he was still pleased with his first win of the year.

In contrast to Walcott, Gordon was forced to work hard for the men’s 400m hurdles title.

The 2013 IAAF World Championship gold medallist went out aggressively but the defending national champion Emmanuel Mayers was still on level terms at the halfway point.

Gordon and Mayers were still battling stride for stride coming off the penultimate barrier but it was the Moscow champion who was a stronger at the end, crossing the line in 50.06 with Mayers second in 50.24,

“It was definitely not easy,” Gordon told local media after the race. “These guys, they’re hungry. I just had to keep my eyes on my lane, use my experience, and bring my ‘A’ game at this point in time.

"The conditions, they were not too good with the wind, but hey, we all had to compete under the same circumstances. I guess I was the better man today."

Gordon will be in Beijing in late August to defend his world title.

"I would give it my best. It’s definitely not going to be easy but you know me, it’s always about making sure I’ll be at my best at that point in time. Once it comes to the championships, it’s not really about times, but making sure that we’re fit enough to go through the rounds, make it to the final, and bring home a medal."

Making it a double victory for the Walcott family on Sunday, his older brother Elton Walcott topped the men’s triple jump field with a wind-aided 16.40m effort. He also produced a legal 16.32m jump.

Kyle Greaux won the men’s 200m title in a personal best of 20.42 while Reyare Thomas captured the women’s 200m crown in a wind-assisted 22.97.

Cleopatra Borel reached 18.46m to enjoy a comfortable victory in the women’s shot put.

Kwame Laurence (Trinidad Express) for the IAAF

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Olympic champ joins elite 90m club
« Reply #267 on: July 10, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Olympic champ joins elite 90m club
By ASHFORD JACKMAN Friday, July 10 2015 (T&T Newsday)

OLYMPIC CHAMPION Keshorn Walcott produced a throw of 90- plus metres on his first attempt, then sat back and watched as his rivals in the Men’s Javelin strove desperately and in vain to match it, at yesterday’s IAAF Diamond League Meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.

On a day when most of the pre-meet hype seemed to centre around the strongest Men’s 100-metre field assembled for the year, the Toco-born 22-year-old forced his name into the headlines with that single gold medal-winning effort of 90.16 metres, leaving all his world-ranked rivals in his wake.

Walcott’s feat set several marks. It was the third time he had broken the national record for the year; on June 4th, he produced 86.20m with his sixth and final effort in Rome, taking the bronze medal in the process. Three days later, he reset the mark at 86.43m in Birmingham.

Yesterday’s new mark was a meet record for the Athletissima, and the second-longest throw for 2015; it was also the greatest distance ever achieved by any athlete from the western hemisphere.

Responding to the news, TT Olympic Committee Brian Lewis was ecstatic. “Really great news! It’s great to see Keshorn reaping the rewards of his hard work and discipline. He has one of the best coaches (Cuban Ismael Mastrapa Lopez) in the world. Keshorn has tremendous potential.”

Lewis, speaking from Toronto where he was attending a Pan American Sport Organisation (PASO) meeting added, “He has shown progression since London 2012, and it’s a good performance ahead of the Pan Am and Worlds.”

When Newsday confirmed that Walcott had won, Sports Minister Brent Sancho responded, “I’m extremely elated to know that Keshorn has again improved on his fine display, and we’re hoping that he continues on in this great vein of form that he’s in.”

For the record, the next-best effort, by Vitezslav Vesely of the Czech Republic, was 87.97m, while Finland’s Tero Pitkamaki (87.44) claimed the bronze.

Ephraim Serrette, president of the National Association of Athletics Federations (NAAF) paid credit to Walcott and the team working with him. “I think he’s progressing well. The programme that he’s working with, actually I think they have understood the whole preparation aspect,” he told Newsday. “So he would have started throwing 80, 85, 86 and now (he’s) peaking at a time when he should be doing those type of throws; and getting it in the first throw is even better,” Serrette said, explaining that Walcott is still contending with an ankle injury, so that it might have influenced his decision not to throw again unless necessary.

Serrette added that being selective about the meets in which they compete had contributed significantly to the success of Walcott and female shot putter Cleopatra Borel. “So I think the programme they’re working with is working. If you look at Cleo (Borel), she’s done a 19.26 as well, so they continue to perform at a particular level coming closer to the World Championships. It’s now for them to hold that going into the Pan Am and the World Championships and repeat, or even do better.”

Leader of the People’s National Movement, Dr Keith Rowley, also weighed in on Twitter: “Congratulations Keshorn Walcott on winning gold for T&T @ IAAF Diamond League. What an inspiration to young people!”

While Walcott was ruling over his experienced rivals, it was a disappointing day for the other TT athletes at the Athletissima.

Running in lane six, Keston Bledman finished fifth in the star-studded 100 metres. American Justin Gatlin beat the filed convincingly in 9.75 seconds, while Jamaican Asafa Powell was adjudged to have taken second place after clocking the same time (9.92) as Tyson Gay.

Bledman and Mike Rodgers also dead-heated at 10.03, but the American was adjudged to have been ahead. World champion Jehue Gordon finished eighth and last in the 400 metre Hurdles, running a very slow 50.07 seconds.

On Twitter after the race, a disappointed Gordon stated: “Things didn’t go the way I wanted it to tonight. Know that’s not the kind of shape I’m in but God is good. Once it’s his will it will happen.”

American Bershawn Jackson took the gold in 48.71 seconds, with South African Van Zyl (48.92) and Russia’s Denis Kudryavtsev (49.01) taking the minor placings.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
Keshorn Walcott 2 One Minute

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dval7dKmxIY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dval7dKmxIY</a>
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:13:57 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>