March 28, 2024, 05:56:59 AM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 101560 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2012, 02:55:21 PM »
Keshorn Walcott receives his Gold Medal (1080p)

someone embed this please

I want to cry.  ;D :laugh:

Lol, doh worry I shed mines sat.

I will upload the full airport ceremony late tonight. Will be finished by morning. It's about 30 minutes long.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Glory hoes and politricks.  ::)

Anil: Astounding, amazing, spectacular
Trinidad Express

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts yesterday described Keshorn Walcott's gold medal win in the Olympic men's javelin as "amazing, astounding, spectacular".

"There aren't enough adjectives to describe what this young man has done for Trinidad and Tobago. We recognised Keshorn's talent from early. He was first spotted two years ago at one of the Ministry's Rural Sport Caravans. Since then, we have been observing his progress, assigned the best coach to develop his raw talent and we're pleased to see Keshorn's emergence as an athletic phenomenon and now Olympic gold medallist! Keshorn has fulfilled his potential and exceeded the expectations we all had for him to succeed. The Government will ensure that he is rewarded appropriately and continues to improve at his craft because at his age, the best is yet to come, " Roberts said in a statement.

"It was a history-making effort at the London Olympics as the 19-year-old Walcott became this country's second gold medallist. Walcott set two national records in the javelin throw final, launching the spear at 84.58m on his third throw.

"The Toco-born Walcott, whose brother Elton is a national triple jumper, is coached by Cuban Ismael Mastrapa, an athlete/coach development officer at the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago," the statement added.

Keshorn Walcott is the youngest gold medallist and the first athlete from the Western Hemisphere to medal in the javelin event in 40 years.

"The javelin is traditionally dominated by Europeans but Trinidad and Tobago can now boast of having broken that tradition, creating a legacy of which the country can be justifiably proud," stated the release.

Now read...

Manning on Walcott’s achievements
Gail Alexander (Trinidad Guardian)

Walcott’s achievement also spurred recuperating former Prime Minister Patrick Manning to say yesterday:

“Mr Walcott’s gold medal may have come as a surprise to most T&T nationals, but he did it humbly and without fanfare. He has done extremely well  and we laud him as a giant of a man to have propelled T&T towards a celebration that has been 36 years in the making for this gold medal. I wish to congratulate him very sincerely.”

“Mr Walcott was not only the recipient of a sports training programme in 2009 but it was also a training programme for elite athletes at that time of the programme. At the age of 19, Mr Walcott has made a stunning achievement for the whole world and again I congratulate him very sincerely and I feel sure in years to come we will hear more of his continuing achievements.”

Former PNM sports minister Gary Hunt  said Walcott was homegrown talent honed by a Cuban coach in an exchange programme with Cuba under the PNM administration. Hunt added: “The coach married a T&T national and he worked for the Sports Company of T&T. That Cuban coach achieved a record of improving the skills of athletes in certain sports such as javelin throwing. He was sent to Toco and various areas. In Toco he discovered young Walcott—and the rest of history.”
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:22:17 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
Glory hoes and politricks.  ::)

Anil: Astounding, amazing, spectacular
Trinidad Express

Minister of Sport Anil Roberts yesterday described Keshorn Walcott's gold medal win in the Olympic men's javelin as "amazing, astounding, spectacular".

"There aren't enough adjectives to describe what this young man has done for Trinidad and Tobago. We recognised Keshorn's talent from early. He was first spotted two years ago at one of the Ministry's Rural Sport Caravans. Since then, we have been observing his progress, assigned the best coach to develop his raw talent and we're pleased to see Keshorn's emergence as an athletic phenomenon and now Olympic gold medallist! Keshorn has fulfilled his potential and exceeded the expectations we all had for him to succeed. The Government will ensure that he is rewarded appropriately and continues to improve at his craft because at his age, the best is yet to come, " Roberts said in a statement.

"It was a history-making effort at the London Olympics as the 19-year-old Walcott became this country's second gold medallist. Walcott set two national records in the javelin throw final, launching the spear at 84.58m on his third throw.

"The Toco-born Walcott, whose brother Elton is a national triple jumper, is coached by Cuban Ismael Mastrapa, an athlete/coach development officer at the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago," the statement added.

Keshorn Walcott is the youngest gold medallist and the first athlete from the Western Hemisphere to medal in the javelin event in 40 years.

"The javelin is traditionally dominated by Europeans but Trinidad and Tobago can now boast of having broken that tradition, creating a legacy of which the country can be justifiably proud," stated the release.

Now read...

Manning on Walcott’s achievements
Gail Alexander (Trinidad Guardian)

Walcott’s achievement also spurred recuperating former Prime Minister Patrick Manning to say yesterday:

“Mr Walcott’s gold medal may have come as a surprise to most T&T nationals, but he did it humbly and without fanfare. He has done extremely well  and we laud him as a giant of a man to have propelled T&T towards a celebration that has been 36 years in the making for this gold medal. I wish to congratulate him very sincerely.”

“Mr Walcott was not only the recipient of a sports training programme in 2009 but it was also a training programme for elite athletes at that time of the programme. At the age of 19, Mr Walcott has made a stunning achievement for the whole world and again I congratulate him very sincerely and I feel sure in years to come we will hear more of his continuing achievements.”

Former PNM sports minister Gary Hunt  said Walcott was homegrown talent honed by a Cuban coach in an exchange programme with Cuba under the PNM administration. Hunt added: “The coach married a T&T national and he worked for the Sports Company of T&T. That Cuban coach achieved a record of improving the skills of athletes in certain sports such as javelin throwing. He was sent to Toco and various areas. In Toco he discovered young Walcott—and the rest of history.”

so who lying ?

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
Field event facilities will be built details to come in future.

Caribbean airline plane to be named after him.

Housing development project in toco.

1mill to be given to Walcott.

New home in federation park. Valued 2.5 million.

Scholarship to UTT.

New world class programme to be established for field events.

More stuff still to come

All that glitters is not gold

So Shaq get $10M to visit Beetham, Machel get $5M to compose a gold medal song, and the Chutney monarch get $2M but our first gold medallist in 36 years gets $1M?

What Keshorn and his family going to do in Federation Park - sit down and wave to strangers? Fed. Park is so far away from home and family? The value of those "old" government houses in Fed. Park is mostly due to location, most of them are old and in a state of disrepair. I understand they only give him 4 lots in Toco. Why not shelf the Fed. Park house offer and build the man and his family a nice house on those 4 lots, in Toco.

I hope the field event training facilities are close to where he chooses to dwell, that it benefits Toco, as it seems they want to move him to POS then build something there, forgetting about Toco.

I know he and his family cannot complain about what is being provided, but just as the court of public opinion forced the government to remove the "jokey" ambassador, I hope they do the same so that we celebrate this young man in a more respectful way.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:59:17 PM by STMB »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
I hope he leaves and goes overseas to further hone his skills and abilities. This kid has an olympic gold medal in a field that is usually dominated by white Europeans, with the right agent he could make a killing with endorsements and sponsorships. Hope he doesn't sign anything to quickly that ties his image to stuff like "Bmobile" and "Penta". Let the youth become a global face man. He could be the new Tiger Woods.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:02:54 PM by congo »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
It's neither Pnm or Unc achievement. None of them pick up a javelin to throw anything. None of them woke up early to go training. None of them travelled from Toco to Port of Spain for training on a regular basis. GTFOH.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
He isn't going overseas he is sticking with his coach, who is very good. He will be studying locally.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:06:02 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2012, 04:05:15 PM »
He isn't going overseas he is sticking with his coach, who is very good. He will be studying locally.

Coach could go with him too.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
I also hope his manager has a bit more sense.

So the team flies 10 hours, couldn't this manager prepare his speech on a 3x5 card on the plane, or even hand it to him if he was in Trinidad, and coach him before his moment? Image management is key out of the blocks.

The video of the airport celebration and his "speech" are sure to be seen by the GMs of bpTT, Neal & Massey, etc, or even by marketing executives of Nike, Adidas, Coca Cola et al. What will they think about how his personality might connect the general public to their products?

Remember he is the first person of African descent, and the first javelin OG champion from the Western Hemisphere to win in 60 years. His victory and story is very interesting in so many ways that he is a marketer's dream, even in the US.

I hope his manager is thinking outside of T&T, and that he has a plan to determine how best to match Keshorn to global products out there, not just bMobile as you say or Gingseng Up, Sanatogen, and those minor local brands.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:11:05 PM by STMB »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
From all accounts he isn't leaving. We shall see
Youtube Channel

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »
I hope his manager has a bit more sense.

So the team flies 10 hours, couldn't this manager prepare his speech on a 3x5 card on the plane, or even hand it to him if he was in Trinidad, and coach him before his moment? Image management is key out of the blocks.

The video of the airport celebration is sure to be seen by the GMs of bpTT, Neal & Massey, etc, or even by marketing executives of Nike, Adidas, Coca Cola et al. What will they think about how his personality might connect the general public to their products?

Remember he is the first person of African descent, and the first javelin OG champion from the Western Hemisphere to win in 60 years. His victory and story is very interesting in so many ways that he is a marketers dream.

I hope his manager is thinking outside of T&T, and that he has a plan to determine how best to match Keshorn to global products out there, not just bMobile as you say or Gingseng Up, Sanatogen, and those minor local brands.

You and me both. This is such a tremendous opportunity to transform this young man's life and the generations that will come after him. They can't slip at all. These local brands would never understand the value of this guy's worth. They themselves have no global image. He has a gold medal.

I saw them using his image in a promo for a cooler cruise. People in this country are so disrespectful and opportunistic. Have some respect for your Olympic gold medallist man.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:13:48 PM by congo »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
London 2012 Olympics: Javelin champion Keshorn Walcott throws party for great democracy of athletics

Amid the incredible Mo and Bolt show on the final day of the glorious Olympic athletics track programme, it was easy to overlook another quite extraordinary happening in the Olympic Stadium.

Sandwiched between Mo Farah annexing the 5,000 metres so gloriously and Usain Bolt landing his third gold of the meeting – and a world record – in the sprint relay, a 19-year-old kid called Keshorn Walcott was busy showing us why athletics remains the one Olympic sport with a true global reach.

Here was a teenager from a little Caribbean island with no heritage in the throwing events becoming the youngest ever javelin winner in the history of the Games. Cricketing geniuses like Brian Lara, yes. The odd dazzling footballer like Dwight Yorke, too. Or a one-off champion sprinter like the 1976 100 metres king Hasely Crawford. But a Trinidadian javelin thrower? Now we were in the realms of ‘cool chuckings’ fantasy.

Then Keshorn told his amazing story. About how he had been no good at sprinting or triple jump so had started off hurling bamboo sticks around on the beaches near his home and then graduated to throwing a javelin for fun with his cousins on an old school field. About how he had no proper facilities to train so ended up having to make the regular slog to Port of Spain just to learn his trade.

Yet within four years, even though he never believed he could win here, he had beaten all the powerhouses from the European javelin strongholds and sent Trinidad into such sheer delight that Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced Monday as a national holiday.

Keshorn’s fairytale seemed to sum up what a magnificent, surprising championships London 2012 was treated to in the Olympic Stadium.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/9473679/London-2012-Olympics-Javelin-champion-Keshorn-Walcott-throws-party-for-great-democracy-of-athletics.html
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
Field event facilities will be built details to come in future.

Caribbean airline plane to be named after him.

Housing development project in toco.

1mill to be given to Walcott.

New home in federation park. Valued 2.5 million.

Scholarship to UTT.

New world class programme to be established for field events.

More stuff still to come

All that glitters is not gold

So Shaq get $10M to visit Beetham, Machel get $5M to compose a gold medal song, and the Chutney monarch get $2M but our first gold medallist in 36 years gets $1M?

What Keshorn and his family going to do in Federation Park - sit down and wave to strangers? Fed. Park is so far away from home and family? The value of those "old" government houses in Fed. Park is mostly due to location, most of them are old and in a state of disrepair. I understand they only give him 4 lots in Toco. Why not shelf the Fed. Park house offer and build the man and his family a nice house on those 4 lots, in Toco.

I hope the field event training facilities are close to where he chooses to dwell, that it benefits Toco, as it seems they want to move him to POS then build something there, forgetting about Toco.

I know he and his family cannot complain about what is being provided, but just as the court of public opinion forced the government to remove the "jokey" ambassador, I hope they do the same so that we celebrate this young man in a more respectful way.

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »
It's neither Pnm or Unc achievement. None of them pick up a javelin to throw anything. None of them woke up early to go training. None of them travelled from Toco to Port of Spain for training on a regular basis. GTFOH.

Yes but d big mouth fella have done absolutely nutten since he has been there. They have a right d blow their own trumpet because is funding from d much criticise SPORTCO that has made this possible. Look at the field results from CARIFTA and u would c the gr8 results. I hope it motivates the other Toco field athletes to do well.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
HOLIDAY, RECEPTION FOR JAVELIN KING WALCOTT
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,164704.html

HOLIDAY, RECEPTION FOR JAVELIN KING WALCOTT
Monday, August 13 2012

TODAY, Monday August 13, has been granted as a public holiday by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar while a motorcade will take place from the Piarco International Airport to Toco, via Arima, for the 19-year-old olympic javelin king Keshorn Walcott.

On Saturday, Walcott created history by becoming the youngest Olympic javelin champion, and Trinidad and Tobago’s second Olympic gold medallist (after Hasely Crawford’s 100-metre success in 1976) when he registered a throw of 84.58 metres at the Olympic Stadium, London, England to defeat his 11 rivals in the final.

Walcott will be the marquee name among a group of eight TT athletes returning home at 9.45 am today from London, along with officials and Walcott’s Cuban-born coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa.

In an address to the nation last evening, PM Persad-Bissessar disclosed, “I have advised His Excellency, Acting President (Timothy) Hamel-Smith that Monday 13th August be appointed a national holiday in honour of the winning of the Olympic gold medal to Keshorn Walcott in the men’s javelin final on Saturday 11th August 2012 and in recognition of the outstanding performance of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic team at the Olympic Games in London.”

Moments earlier, PM Persad-Bissessar commented, “with each event, dreams were fulfilled, greatness was achieved and our patriotic spirit was renewed in very majestic fashion. Our Olympic athletes not only validated our belief and faith in their superior sporting talent but, once again, they proved to the world that Trinidad and Tobago is a force to be reckoned with, (taking) one gold and three bronze medals (at the 30th Olympiad in London).”

She continued, “our people and our passion have now become international benchmarks for greatness.”

The Prime Minister said, “I convey my most sincere gratitude to Keshorn and indeed to all our Olympians.”

She also extended congratulations towards Lalonde Gordon, who finished third in the men’s 400-metre sprint last Monday, as well as the bronze medal relay teams - men’s 4x100m and men’s 4x400m.

PM Persad-Bissessar also urged the TT athletes to strive to become, and indeed remain, as role models for the future generation.

“It is for you to remind those who will now want to walk the trail that you’ve blazed, that whatever your circumstances, wherever you live, however challenging the path in front of you may be, victory is possible.”

Some of the other athletes who will be touching down at the Piarco International Airport include bronze medallist (men’s 4x400-metre relay) Ade Alleyne-Forte, cyclist Njisane Phillip (who finished fourth in the sprint and seventh in the keirin) and pistol shooter Roger Daniel.

Also returning home are Michelle-Lee Ahye, who featured in both the women’s 100m and the women’s 4x100m relay squad, Mikel Thomas (men’s 110m hurdles) and the pair of Machel Cedenio (a reserve member of the 4x400m relay) and Reyare Thomas (a back-up member of the women’s 4x100m relay).

PM Persad-Bissessar is expected to deliver a keynote address while Sports Minister Anil Roberts is due to offer remarks to the athletes.

In a media release from the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago, Roberts was quoted as saying that he is “indeed delighted to welcome home members of our most successful Olympic team. If they have not yet grasped the magnitude of their achievements, I am certain that these young, brave athletes will appreciate the warm reception they are due to receive. We wish safe travels and eagerly anticipate their return home.”

The media release stated that local entertainers will be performing to the delegation, as well as the fans and well-wishers at the Airport’s Atrium.

PM Persad-Bissessar pointed out, “at that reception we will disclose, on behalf of the nation, in what ways Keshorn Walcott will be honoured.

“Thereafter we will hold, together with Keshorn and his family, a motorcade to take our hero from Piarco, onto the Eastern Main Road to Arima, through Valencia (and) Sangre Grande, and end in a tribute arranged by the village of Toco, in partnership of the Government, at the Toco Composite School.”

At an earlier event yesterday, when questioned by reporters, PM Persad- Bissessar gave her reaction to Walcott’s success.

“I was remembering when Keshorn won (the World Junior title in Barcelona, Spain), we were in Tobago and I used the press conference then to congratulate him. Little knowing that, at the end of it all, of the Olympics, we would be congratulating a great son of the soil.”

The Prime Minister continued, “a 19-year-old who will ignite the youth, ignite our nation. He brings gold when our country is celebrating its golden jubilee. We say congratulations to him.”

She added, “the performances have been absolutely tremendous. We may be a little dot but size does not determine a great nation.”

Asked how she felt when Walcott received his gold medal and the national anthem was playing, she replied, “I did have tears.

“I was in one of my vehicles touring (Diego Martin) so I got to hear it on the radio. My security detail and my driver started to clap. They might have run off the road but everybody was so happy.”

Walcott’s victory was hailed by a number of past and present TT Olympians on Twitter on Saturday, with the 19-year-old, in his first blog on Twitter, mentioning simply, “thank you Jesus!”

Quadruple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon wrote, “attention all ‘psychics’ in TT, quit. You are out of business. If you were really psychic you would have seen this coming.”

Another Olympic medallist, swimmer George Bovell III (2004 in Athens) commented, “boom! Gold medal in javelin, Walcott = hero.”

Hurdler Jehue Gordon added, “big up to Keshorn, job well done. It was a wonderful Olympics for Team TT,” while sailor Andrew Lewis, another member of the 2012 Olympic team, stated, “amazing day for the history of Trinidad and Tobago. Sports is our way of life now and forever.”

And American-born TT hurdler Wayne Davis II joked, “Keshorn Walcott and he mango pelting techniques. Thanks to all the mango trees in his neighbourhood!”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »

Yes but d big mouth fella have done absolutely nutten since he has been there. They have a right d blow their own trumpet because is funding from d much criticise SPORTCO that has made this possible. Look at the field results from CARIFTA and u would c the gr8 results. I hope it motivates the other Toco field athletes to do well.

The big mouth boy will only ever be just that. You see they offer him a spot at UTT? The same Utt that in a mess right now with programmes getting mash up left, right and centre. These people have no shame. Take their money and run far far away from them. Poor footballers can't get their money up to now.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
Stueps the boy ain't even reach home yet since morning he on the road. They will kill him.
Youtube Channel

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Stueps the boy ain't even reach home yet since morning he on the road. They will kill him.

And the 8 hour flight from london

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Caution for Keshorn
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Caution_for_Keshorn-165941316.html

Caution for Keshorn
By Fazeer Mohammed
Story Created: Aug 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM ECT

I can see the commercial: A strapping, young man is rekindling the blissful memories of countryside boyhood days by hurling stones at heavily-laden fruit trees in his Toco village of TroisRoches. But instead of mangoes and coconuts falling victim to his powerful arm, it's an Olympic gold medal that falls into the safe hands of the thrower, who then turns to the camera and follows the director's cue with "Hi, I'm Keshorn Walcott…"

As Trinidad and Tobago's second ever Olympic gold medallist and first since Hasely Crawford's triumph 36 years ago, Walcott has probably already experienced the abundant praise and extravagant promises that parasitic politicians and opportunistic back-slappers are infamous for, assuming he returned home as scheduled late last night. By the way, let's not make light of the fact that our contingent has also brought home three bronze medals and a number of personal and national bests along with a series of finals appearances in what has made London 2012 our most successful venture ever at the quadrennial sporting extravaganza.

Yes, the new champion is certainly worthy all of the sincere plaudits. To claim Olympic gold in the men's javelin at the age of 19 is unheard of. To have done so among a field of experienced, hardened and highly-successful competitors, including the two-time defending champion, borders on the incredible. That he is the first from the Caribbean and only the second from the Western Hemisphere, and from a country that has no tradition whatsoever in the discipline to boot, to claim this honour in the last 104 years of the Olympics, is the sort of material that even Paul Keens-Douglas might have second thoughts about using in one of his upcoming storytelling routines, simply because it is more believable for Boopsie to win a beauty contest.

With apologies to Usain, this has really come as a bolt out of the blue, the biggest upset of London 2012. Look, it is still difficult to come to terms with what was achieved on that final evening of track and field competition in front of a packed house of 80,000 spectators. Even with his status as world junior champion, achieved only last month, we never saw this coming. It has left so many of us with a bit of a hollow feeling for there was really no sense of expectation and anticipation, even hope, before the 12 finalists were introduced on Saturday. According to reports, Walcott himself was just looking for a top eight finish.

Compare this situation with the other great sporting moments in our history and you will appreciate that, in every other case, the nation was building to a crescendo and lustily celebrated the moment of glory.

Whether it was Crawford's 10.06-second sprint to gold in 1976 or Dennis Lawrence's World Cup football finals-clinching header in Bahrain in 2005, we were on the edges of our seats long before the event got under way. When Brian Lara twice claimed the world record for the highest individual Test batting score in Antigua, many of us endured a sleepless night with the batting maestro unbeaten on 320 in 1994 and poised on 313 in 2004 on the mornings that he went on to make history.

Having earned bronze in the 100 and 200 metres at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, Ato Boldon was in the form of his life a year later so we were expecting something special at the World Athletics Championships in Athens, the sprinter duly obliging with the 200-metre crown in 20.04 seconds. And when it comes to great moments in boxing, we had months of speculation leading up to Claude Noel's outpointing of Mexico's Rodolfo "El Gato" Gonzalez to take the World Boxing Association lightweight belt in 1981 in Atlantic City, while Leslie "Tiger" Stewart's stopping of American Marvin "Pops" Johnson for the WBA light-heavyweight title generated even greater national fervour as it occurred in front of jubilant thousands at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in 1987.

And it's those last two examples that Walcott will do well to keep in mind, for both Noel and Stewart were well beaten in their first title defences, their defeats to Arturo Frias and Virgil Hill respectively being attributed, in part, to a loss of focus amid the festivities and indulgences following their successes. In sport, whatever the pedigree, you're only as good as your last competition, and if the Toco phenomenon wants to avoid the label of a supremely talented but inconsistent fluke by the end of his competitive days, he would do well to stay close to those who have brought him this far, and take everything and everyone else with a tablespoonful of salt.

That he has identified Jan Zelezny as one of his main inspirations is a very good sign. Arguably the greatest javelin thrower in modern Olympic history, the Czech legend dominated his event for a decade in taking three world titles and the gold medals in three consecutive Olympics, starting with the 1992 Games in Barcelona when he was 26 years of age.

It was at the same Montjuic Stadium last month that Walcott launched his name into the international limelight in taking world junior gold. No-one should be so bold, certainly not the young man himself, to suggest however that he is already ahead of the game.

In the glorious, lingering afterglow of his astonishing success, our new sporting hero will do well to stay true to the disciplines that have brought this stunning golden moment to him and his country.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
But a Trinidadian javelin thrower? Now we were in the realms of ‘cool chuckings’ fantasy.

"Cool chuckings"??  What's that phrase supposed to mean??   ???  :-\

Btw, its 9:34 and it was reported about 15 mins ago that Keshorn eh reach home yet......*sigh* 
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
But a Trinidadian javelin thrower? Now we were in the realms of ‘cool chuckings’ fantasy.

"Cool chuckings"??  What's that phrase supposed to mean??   ???  :-\

Btw, its 9:34 and it was reported about 15 mins ago that Keshorn eh reach home yet......*sigh* 
  :o
Like they want to kill the boy with their gimmickry?!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn's victory stuns the world
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Keshorn_s_victory_stuns_the_world-165939336.html

Keshorn's victory stuns the world
By Keino Swamber keino.swamber@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM ECT

THE 84.58-metre javelin throw which placed Keshorn Walcott's name in the history books as the youngest ever Olympic javelin champion and the first athlete from the Western Hemisphere to medal in the javelin event in 40 years, has not gone unnoticed by the international media.

Walcott's feat on Saturday was described by Associated Press sports writer Raf Casert in The Washington Post as "one of the most stunning upsets in the track and field programme".

"The only time the Olympic javelin title left Europe was 60 years ago when American Cyrus Young won gold," according to Caser.

London's Daily Mail said the win by the 19-year-old world junior champion was "remarkable" and "may just have provided another sporting option for the children of Trinidad".

The UK's The Sun dubbed him the "Javelin King" and reported that Walcott "stunned the world of track and field".

"Walcott won the World Junior Championships in Barcelona this year but nothing prepared anyone for what happened in London last night," said Dan King.

Walcott's throw, which set a new national record, was also reported by The Miami Herald , the BBC, NY Times, The Times of India, the Chicago Tribune, Fox News, Malaysia Star and The Hindu.

On the social networking site Twitter, Walcott's name was trending worldwide for several hours after his win.

His very first tweet after joining the site on Saturday was "Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!". He tweeted yesterday: "Thank you Trinidad and Tobago!!!!! I Love U."

Walcott, as at 4.30 p.m. yesterday boasted a following of 1,770 from around the world.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
IDEAL ATHLETE ...Praises for Golden Walcott
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/olympics/Ideal_athlete__praises_for_Golden_Walcott-165939356.html

IDEAL ATHLETE
Praises for Golden Walcott

By Kwame Laurence in London
Story Created: Aug 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM ECT

The man responsible for shaping Keshorn Walcott into an Olympic gold medallist, Cuban throws coach Ismael Lopez, says there is no limit to the heights the talented teenager can attain.

"His best quality is dedication, so we can achieve anything. Wow. I feel very happy. I'm very proud of Keshorn. I don't have words to describe."

Walcott became only the second Trinidad and Tobago athlete in Olympic history to strike gold, when he won the men's javelin with an 84.58 metres throw, at the Olympic Stadium, here in London, England, on Saturday.

Walcott's winning throw was a 1.75-metre improvement on his pre-Olympic personal best—82.83m. The 84.58m effort is a new Pan American junior (under-20) and national senior record. It lifted Walcott into second spot on the all-time global under-20 list, behind Latvia's Zigismunds Sirmais, the world junior record holder at 84.69m.

Lopez told the Express he was not surprised by Walcott's London 2012 performance.

"For me, I expected the junior world record. We were working at making his first throw relaxed. If the first throw is good, it makes things easier."

As planned, Walcott was relaxed for his first round effort, throwing the javelin 83.51m. In round two, he improved to 84.58m—the throw that would earn T&T its first taste of Olympic gold since Hasely Crawford's men's 100m triumph in 1976.

Dexter Voisin, the T&T track and field manager at London 2012, said that Walcott's triumph could not have been anticipated.

"It was a surprise to anybody. I sat among European coaches and saw amazement in their faces.

"This shows that once you put your mind to something and stick to the game plan, you can achieve anything. Keshorn is a very disciplined guy, takes training very seriously, listens to his coach, and has a strong mind. He's the ideal athlete."

T&T chef de mission, Annette Knott, also praised the 19-year-old Toco thrower.

"Quiet confidence. He works hard, without any fuss."

Walcott has had an arduous but highly rewarding season, striking gold at the Carifta Games, the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Junior Championships, World Junior Championships, and now the Olympic Games.

Lopez said his athlete will now get a well-deserved rest, before beginning preparations for the 2013 season.

"We have to take care of him. Keshorn was invited to two meets in Europe, but he'll go home. For him, the season is finished."

Walcott's main focus in 2013 will be the World Championships, in Moscow, Russia. Hitting the 90-metre mark is also among the thrower's goals for next season.

Lopez said he is looking forward to the continued support of the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (sportt).

"I'm grateful for the camp in Cuba in April and May that they paid for. It made a big difference in Keshorn's preparations."

He said the pre-Olympic camp in Cardiff, Wales, was beneficial as well.

"It had all the facilities, everything, and played a key part in Keshorn's performance."

While Walcott has a rare gift for hurling the spear, Lopez is convinced there are other potential Olympic champions in T&T waiting to be discovered.

"There are more like him, but something needs to be in place to develop field events. We need facilities. The throwers and jumpers cannot always train at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Because of football games, the field is not always available. A field events facility is needed."

Lopez said throwing talent abounds in both Toco and Tobago.

"You have to look long-term. Start at 12/13. At that age, you have the time to teach different skills for throws. At age 15/16, the athletes can specialise in a particular throw."

If Lopez has his way, the Walcott win—arguably the biggest surprise of London 2012—will not be a one-off occurrence never to be repeated, but rather, the first of many global field successes for a nation that has built its Olympic reputation on the track.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »
ALERT

THIS IS NOT THE REAL WALCOTT it is a fake account

https://twitter.com/keshornwalcott
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
Look ting  ;D

Youtube Channel

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
KESHORN IS STILL NOT HOME.  WHAT D MUDDA C**T!!!!!

Call off d damn motorcade and let d boy go home and sleep  >:(
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
Idiots, that thing should have been put off for a next day, the man must be have a headache
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
Idiots, that thing should have been put off for a next day, the man must be have a headache
When you have a dotish gimmicky people in charge things like this does happen!

Don't think these people really care about Keshorn, they just want to ride on his popularity wave!

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »

If i was his parents and management , I was takin Keshorn off that motorcade, take him home, make him dinner and send him in his bed. Clearly no one has his best interest at heart at this point. Trinis just like a fete and bachanal. steups

and talking bout his 'management', why would that man say the medal is not Keshorn own, how it's our own. I could understand what he was trying to say but he come real outta timin with that statement. the nation had no idea who Keshorn was before Olympics except ppl in Toco and a few other persons. None of us were offering him encouragement during his years of training. the government didnt even give him funding, so management need to shut up with that one.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »

If i was his parents and management , I was takin Keshorn off that motorcade, take him home, make him dinner and send him in his bed. Clearly no one has his best interest at heart at this point. Trinis just like a fete and bachanal. steups

and talking bout his 'management', why would that man say the medal is not Keshorn own, how it's our own. I could understand what he was trying to say but he come real outta timin with that statement. the nation had no idea who Keshorn was before Olympics except ppl in Toco and a few other persons. None of us were offering him encouragement during his years of training. the government didnt even give him funding, so management need to shut up with that one.
Keshorn obviously needs a better manager with his best interest at heart.
I'm now convinced that his current manager is probably only there to bleed him dry and is probably one of those Jack Warner type characters.
Imagine the man saying that the medal doh belong to Keshorn and it belong to the people as if any them people was there supporting him all this time.
Hate all this wagonist style behaviour that some of my people in T&T like to promote.

1]; } ?>