March 28, 2024, 02:50:48 PM

Author Topic: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread  (Read 101573 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Golden Boy Keshorn Walcott Thread
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »

Triumph through pain
Walcott very proud of Pan Am gold

http://trinidadexpress.com/20150806/sports/triumph-through-pain

Keshorn Walcott is proud, very proud of his Pan American Games men’s javelin gold medal.

“All championships are important to me, no matter what the level. I set myself some goals and Pan Am was one of them, so the gold medal was a big achievement for me.”

When he arrived in Toronto, Canada, last month, 22-year-old Walcott was battling an ankle injury and not certain to compete.

“Coming off my last competition in Monaco, I couldn’t walk for two or three days. I had to be whee l-chaired through the airport coming all the way to Canada. The decision was for me not to throw, but me and my harden self, I tend not to listen to too much people. I tend to try to find my answers in my mind.

“I took the risk,” the 2012 Olympic champion continued, “because something told me to take it. We spoke about the ankle before with the doctors and stuff. It seemed like my season was over, so I just told myself I don’t think I could do too much more harm to my ankle, so at least let me achieve one of my goals for the entire year if I have to finish up my season. I think God blessed me. I went out, I took the risk, and now I’m still able to continue.”

Walcott was the class of the field at last month’s Pan Am Games, striking gold with an 83.27 metres throw.

“It means a lot to me, knowing that I haven’t been winning that much since the Olympic Games. That was kind of a confidence boost for me. No matter the level of competition, I’m back on top. Going forward, it will set some standards for me, knowing that I added Pan Am champion to my list.”

Walcott does not relish the limelight, but could not avoid it following his 2012 Olympic triumph. He is grateful there’s no more Walcottmania in T&T.

“It died down a bit, so it’s better now. You still go places and people come at you asking for pictures and what not, but I think I’m handling it okay. And now that I’m a lot more busy, I’m out of the country a lot, it’s easier for me. I don’t have that much downtime to be out. When I train, it’s train, home, different things, so people don’t see me that much. It’s a little bit easier for me now.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Walcott: Medal bonus was a motivator
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:04 PM »
Walcott: Medal bonus was a motivator
By Mark Pouchet (T&T Express)
Published on Aug 6, 2015, 9:11 pm AST

London Olympic gold medallist Keshorn “Keshie” Walcott

London Olympic gold medallist Keshorn “Keshie” Walcott believes the medal bonus initiative by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) was a motivator for local athletes to perform and can drive them to achieve more medal success.

Walcott, winner in the javelin event, was one of three Pan Am Games medallists at Olympic House to receive their medal bonus and to mark one year to go to the RIO 2016 Olympics. As a gold medal winner at last month’s Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada, Walcott picked up US$3,000.

Fellow individual gold medallist, shot putter Cleopatra Borel will receive a similar amount. Silver medal winners, hurdler Mikel Thomas, quarter-miler Machel Cedenio and cyclist Njisane Phillip will get US$2,000, while bronze medal swimmer George Bovell III will receive US$1,000. The 4x400 gold medal and 4x100 bronze medal relay teams will get a combined US$9,000 and US$3,000 respectively.

“I think it’s a good idea to begin with the initiative. Some people may not admit it but it is always something to look forward to besides the medal itself, something that will give you a little extra push, knowing you are going to get some reward for all your hard work outside of the competition,” said Walcott. Walcott related that he and Cuban-born coach Ismael Lopez Mostrapa always try to time the big throws for the major championships like Worlds, Pan Ams, Commonwealth, and the Olympics, but said “it was a bit of a surprise” when he launched the spear to a new national record of 90.16 metres in Switzerland on July 9.

“My coach and I always try to the big throw at the right moment but we always expected that throw (over 90 metres) to come this year. I guess it came a bit earlier than we expected,” said Walcott.

Walcott also related that he and Mostrapa pondered heavily on his decision to participate in the Pan Am Games after he injured the left ankle on July 17 in Monaco, days before his event in Toronto. He said he was embarrassed to be pushed in a wheelchair through the Pearson International Airport in Toronto ahead of the quadrennial hemispheric Games.

“I always tell myself tomorrow is never promised, so I always try to do my best when I get out there to achieve my goals while representing the country to the best of my ability. So coach and I sat down and decided this may be my only chance (at a Pan Am Games) and we might as well take it’’, Walcott said.

Walcott said he has matured significantly from the dark-horse 19-year-old who shocked the world with a gold medal toss at the 2012 London Olympics, and is a more experienced and seasoned campaigner these days.

And he was especially complimentary of his training partner and fellow Pan Am Games gold medallist Cleopatra Borel, the Women’s shot put champion.

“Cleo and I have been training together and knowing how hard she works, it is great seeing that she is rewarded in her performances. Hopefully she can go on an do much better and achieve more success at Worlds and other major championships,” Walcott said.

The TTOC hosted the ‘One year to Rio 2016’ acknowledgement at Olympic House on Wednesday in unison with the rest of the world in marking the one-year countdown to the Olympics on August 5 next year.

According to Lewis, the TTOC used the landmark day to celebrate the road to Rio and commemorate the athletes that had achieved excellence in Toronto.

The proceedings opened with a short video presentation highlighting team TTO’s performances in Canada and TTOC president Brian Lewis reinforced the vision of achieving the ten or more gold medals by the year 2024. “Toronto 2015 and the performances of our athletes started to make some people believe that it (#10Golds24) may have been possible; that it wasn’t far fetched and unrealistic,” he stated.

“Rio 2016 therefore, in the context of ten or more Olympic gold medals by the year 2024 is going to be very important because thereafter comes Tokyo 2020 and then 2024,” he continued.

National Association of Athletic Administrations (NAAA) president Ephraim Serrette said his organisation had a good working relationship with the TTOC and would work hard to facilitate the athletes in their pursuit for international glory.

Also in attendance on Wednesday was Emmanuel Callender and Dan Neil Telesford, both part of the 4x100m relay team, the country’s first Olympic gold medallist Hasely Crawford, TTOC general secretary Annette Knot, Pan Am Games Chef de Mission Diane Henderson and former TTOC general secretary, senator Elton Prescott.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:28:56 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2015, 03:26:24 PM »
Keshorn after failing to qualify for the final round in Biejing World Championships

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/w5hZTRLWif8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/w5hZTRLWif8</a>
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 03:41:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ankle injury not to be blamed, says Walcott
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:12 PM »
Ankle injury not to be blamed, says Walcott
Published: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Keshorn Walcott about to start training session in Finland.

BEIJING—Reigning Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott is suggesting that an ankle injury is not to be blamed for his elimination from the Javelin event at the World Championships on Monday.

Walcott was eliminated after placing 26th out of 33 competitors, managing only two legal throws, 75.16 metres and 76.83, his best effort.

“I just went out there, tried to perform well but it was just a bad competition,” said the Trinidadian athlete who set three new records for 2015.

“No other explanation, just a bad competition. Of course, I expected better throws but I do not know what was going on.”

Walcott, 22, entered the championships as one of the pre-event favourites with a personal and season best of 90.16m. However he has been battling an ankle injury which he said did not hamper his performance.

“The distances were way off and you can see the results,” he said. “There was a lack of competition for me since my ankle injury but my ankle held up good today and I am thanking God for that.  But I would have to say it was a bad competition because I was really out of it”. Walcott says he is considering ending his season to allow his ankle injury to completely heal in time for the next season.

“So I just have to go back and continue working on it because I do not want to start back training with any problems. I think I am going to call the season there, and continue working on my ankle,” said Walcott. (CMC)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:54:46 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott 3rd Bronze too for Mikel Thomas*
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2015, 03:54:40 AM »
Walcott 3rd Bronze too for Mikel Thomas*
By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Sep 8, 2015, 10:54 pm AST (T&T Express)

OLYMPIC CHAMPION: Trinidad and Tobago's reigning Olympic champion Keshorn Walcott competes in the men's javelin qualifying event, at the IAAF World Championships at the Bird's Nest Stadium in Beijing, China, on August 24. —Photo: AP

Keshorn Walcott returned to 80-metre land in his first outing since a forgettable campaign at the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China, last month.

Competing at the IAAF World Challenge meet in Zagreb, Croatia, yesterday, Walcott threw 82.99 metres to secure third spot in the men's javelin. Thomas Rohler landed the spear 85.44m to top the 10-man field, forcing his fellow-German Andreas Hofmann to settle for silver with an 84.98m throw.

At the World Championships, Walcott could only manage a 76.83m effort, the Trinidad and Tobago field athlete finishing 26th in the qualifying competition. It was the second time in as many World Championship appearances that the 2012 Olympic champion failed to advance to the final.

Yesterday, Walcott put the Beijing 2015 disappointment behind him, bagging bronze in Zagreb with a solid performance.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:09:51 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott spears bronze at World Challenge
« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »
Walcott spears bronze at World Challenge
Wednesday, September 9 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Keshorn Walcott competes in the Men's Javelin event at the Golden Gala 2015

TRINIDAD AND Tobago’s Olympic Javelin champion Keshorn Walcott marked his return to competition following a disappointing World Championships with a podium finish at the IAAF World Challenge in Croatia yesterday.

The 22-year-old, who failed to qualify for the “Worlds” final after all his throws fell under 77 metres in Beijing, produced a best effort yesterday of 82.99m, good enough to take the bronze medal.

Gold and silver went to the German pair of Thomas Rohler (85.44m) and Andreas Hofmann (84.98) respectively.

Walcott, who has been working around a foot injury for several months, will next see action on Friday at the season-ending IAAF Diamond League meet in Brussels, Belgium.

However, earning a medal in Belgium will take some doing; among his rivals will be Rohler, Hofmann, Vitezslav Vesely of the Czech Republic and Julius Yego, the Kenyan who took the gold at the World Championships in China.

Up to press time yesterday, the only other TT athlete listed to compete in the Diamond league finale was Renny Quow, in the Men’s 400m.

Meanwhile, TT ’s Semoy Hackett finished a disappointing 7th in the Women’s 100m in 11.60 seconds; American Candyce Mc Grone won it in 11.10 and was followed home by the Ivory Coast’s Marie-Josee Ta Lou (11.17) and Simone Facey of Jamaica (11.25).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:10:09 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Quow golden; Keshorn 3rd in Diamond ranking
« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
Quow golden; Keshorn 3rd in Diamond ranking
Saturday, September 12 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Kevin Borlee congratulates Renny Quow after his victory in Brussels 2015 DL 400m

Keshorn Walcott in Brussels the day before Diamond League javelin competition

Seasoned quarter-miler, Renny Quow, struck gold at the final leg of the AG insurance Memorial van Damme Diamond League Meeting in Brussels, Belgium, yesterday, ending his 2015 campaign in the prestigious athletics competition on a high.

Meanwhile reigning Olympic men’s javelin champion, Keshorn Walcott, settled for bronze in his pet event, capping off a strong season where he cracked the 90m barrier for the very first time. Keshorn also finished third in the Diamond standings.

Earlier, the 28-year old Quow clocked 45.29 seconds, holding off eventual silver medallist, Belgian Kevin Borlee (45.43s) and bronze receiver, Jamaican Peter Matthews (45.74s). Quow, who partnered with compatriots Machel Cedenio, Lalonde Gordon and Jarrin Solomon to grab gold in the Men’s 4x400m relay event at the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada, will wind down his competitive campaign in the coming weeks as he prepares for a hectic 2016 track season, prior to the Olympic Games. Grenadian Kirani James, who did not compete yesterday won the Diamond after a stellar season. In the men’s javelin, the 22-year old Keshorn launched the spear a distance of 84.03m to grasp bronze.

The Toco-bred field athlete was the only competitor hailing from the western hemisphere, but still showed mettle on the day by securing a podium finish.

Winning gold was Finnish athlete Tero Pitkamaki (87.37m) while German Thomas Rohler snatched silver with 86.56m.

With yesterday’s meet counting for double points in the Diamond Ranking, Pitkamaki’s victory made sure he would pocket the diamond with an unassailable 17 points while Vitezslav Vesely, who placed sixth yesterday, was second with 15 points. Walcott trailed in third with eight points.

Yesterday’s Belgian stage brought to an end the 13-leg 2015 Diamond League series. Competition resumes in June next year in Doha.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:54:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 23, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »

VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153716551192996/

RUNDOWN TO RIO - KESHORN WALCOTT

When we say javelin, who is the first person that comes to mind? Keshorn Walcott, right?

As we continue our 'Rundown to Rio' segment, Ryan Bachoo talked to Keshorn about being the face of local javelin.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott mentors Santa Cruz youths*
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2015, 08:52:13 PM »
Walcott mentors Santa Cruz youths*
Published on Nov 10, 2015, 9:11 pm AST (T&T Express)

LIKE THIS: T&T’s reigning Olympic men’s javelin gold medallist Keshorn Walcott shows the youngsters how to take a free kick during his visit to the Santa Cruz United Football Academy at the Brian Lara Recreational Grounds, Santa Cruz, on Saturday.

T&T’s reigning Olympic men’s javelin gold medallist Keshorn Walcott took time off his pre-season training for next year’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to visit the Santa Cruz United Football Academy, at the Brian Lara Recreational Grounds on Saturday.

Walcott’s visit was part of the Academy’s mentorship programme. He shared with young footballers how hard he trained to excel in his sport of javelin and how he threw coconuts and mangos on the beach (in Toco) as part of his preparation. The 22 year-old also encouraged them to be disciplined in order to be successful.

He also showed off his dribbling and ball skills. Walcott played for the Toco Secondary School football team while attending there. He was one of many sports celebrities to speak to the youngsters recently. West Indies and T&T cricketer Dwayne Bravo also visited the Academy.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:58:04 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »

See Video Report; http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-SPORT-PERSONALITY-KESHORN-WALCOTT-2007---360512991.html

SPORT PERSONALITY KESHORN WALCOTT

It's that time of the year again where TV6 looks into the outstanding performances of five of the top athletes. This evening our personality is none other javelin thrower Keshorn Walcott... who has had his ups and downs. Nonetheless, the Olympic gold medallist did have some performances, which brought joy to the people of T&T

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott grateful for elite $$ assistance
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »
Walcott grateful for elite $$ assistance
By JOEL BAILEY Wednesday, February 24 2016 (T&T Newsday)

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Darryl Smith, hands over
Elite Athlete Assistance Programme Funding cheque to Keshorn Walcott.

OLYMPIC JAVELIN champion Keshorn Walcott expressed his appreciation for the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, who provided him with a cheque yesterday, at the VIP Room, Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, as part of its Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP).

Walcott was among a group of 15 athletes who received a total of $1.4 million from the EAAP. The other athletes who were beneficiaries of the funding yesterday were Cleopatra Borel, Aleena Brooks, Machel Cedenio, Jehue Gordon, Jamal James, Emmanuel Mayers, Jarrin Solomon, Reyare Thomas, Kamaria Durant, Quincy Wilson (track and field); Marlon James Moses, Clement Marshall (shooting); Dylan Carter (swimming) and Kale Wilson (squash).

“I’m always grateful for the help from the Ministry of Sport,” said Walcott. “They have been helping me since early in my career. I’m thankful for the help.” Sports and Youth Affairs Minister Darryl Smith, in his address to the athletes in attendance, noted, “you all usually get these cheques in April (or) May. (It’s) just proper planning and putting things in place.

We were thinking about the future and we’re just planning ahead now.

“And we’re able to give these cheques two (and) three months earlier,” he added.

“Because we don’t want the rushing that is the usual norm when you have to travel and you want to train.” The Minister admitted, “we have inefficiencies. We are not perfect but we are trying our best to put policies and things in place to put the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs back on top. And I will not sleep a night until I get that done.” The 22-year-old Walcott will enter the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil as the first Trinidad and Tobago athlete to be defending his title since Hasely Crawford did so at the 1980 Games in Moscow, Soviet Union (now Russia).

“The season has been good,” said Walcott. “I’m still in different aspects of training now, in the general stages still. My meets are a long way off. I don’t have indoors.” Walcott added, “training has been good, preparation has been coming along really well so hopefully I’ll continue doing what I need to do.” The 2015 Pan American Games champion has his training sessions at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, under the guidance of the Cuban-born coach, Ismael Mastrapa.

“Most times I go to Cuba for a few weeks,” said Walcott.

“When I start competition I normally have a base, either in Finland or some other (European) country, just for the travelling.” On his current tag as an Olympic champion, the 2014 Commonwealth Games silver medallist pointed out, “it feels good to know I’m the Olympic champion. Hopefully I’ll go out there and do my best and retain my title. That will be my goal.” He added, “me and my coach, that’s what we’re (preparing) for, for the last four years, and hopefully things will go how we want.” Walcott admitted that his season will start in May but his schedule has not been mapped out as yet.

“(It usually) starts with the Diamond League or, hopefully, a local meet,” he said.

“We don’t map out the entire season because things tend to change. Nothing is carved in stone. The season will begin in May and continue until September.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keshorn launches T-shirt line
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
Keshorn launches T-shirt line
Published on Mar 11, 2016, 10:14 pm AST (T&T Express)

Keshorn Walcott at his T-shirt line launch at The Fan Club, Trincity Mall

Keshorn Walcott will be launching his official line of T-shirts today at The Fan Club, Trincity Mall, at 2 p.m.

T&T’s second Olympic gold medallist will also take the opportunity to meet fans, sign autographs and take photos with fans who purchase his brand new shirts. Four different lines of shirts will be available for sale at a price of $175 for the first edition.

Walcott’s manager Sean Roach said the launch of the shirts is in keeping with calls from Keshorn’s fans to be part of the young champion’s support as he prepares for the Rio Olympics. “It has taken a while but we are happy to let Keshorn’s fans know that they can now associate with him and show their support in a meaningful way.”

Walcott said he was looking forward to the launch. “I am always happy to be with the fans. They have always been supportive of me, and I hope that this line of shirts will give them a greater reason to be part of the Keshorn Walcott success.”

« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:41:56 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Walcott pleased with brand test*
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
Walcott pleased with brand test*
By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Mar 15, 2016, 11:50 pm AST (T&T Express)

KEEPING THE FANS HAPPY: Keshorn Walcott signs one of his jerseys for a fan, at Trincity Mall on Saturday. The 2012 Olympic men’s javelin champion has launched his official line of T-shirts.
 —Photo: ANISTO ALVES

Keshorn Walcott was a satisfied man, following the launch of his official line of T-shirts, at the Fan Club in Trincity Mall, on Saturday. “It went well,” the reigning Olympic men’s javelin champion told the Express, “better than I thought knowing we only advertised it one day.

“The people came out, whether it be more for pictures than jerseys,” he quipped. “It was good. Hopefully it will be better in the future. I’m thankful to the people, knowing that they’re looking at what I’ve been doing.

We just posted it on social media and also did something in the papers, and the people came out. It has been a long time since we’ve done anything, and since we’re out of competition now, it was an opportunity for the people to get to see me and know what I’m up to.”

The 22-year-old field athlete said there’s more to come from the Keshorn Walcott brand.

“We did the jerseys as a test to see how strong the brand is going to be. We’re trying to do small things first, and build up to something big. So hopefully, after the T-shirts, we can get into something better.

We’ll venture into different things and learn. You can go into selling T-shirts and not know what else you could advance into.

“The T-shirts,” Walcott continued, “can make money, not just for me but for the other athletes with our training group. It can help, for example, when we’re going to Cuba. If some other athlete needs to go but does not have the funding, we could help. But the main focus is trying to keep my brand strong.”

Walcott, his training partner Shakeil Waithe, discus thrower Quincy Wilson and shot putter Cleopatra Borel will train in Cuba for close to six weeks under the watchful eyes of their Cuban coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa. Walcott, Waithe, Wilson and Mastrapa are expected to fly to Cuba on Saturday. Borel, meanwhile, will travel to the northern Caribbean island following her campaign at this weekend’s IAAF World Indoor Championships in Portland, Oregon, USA.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:53:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »

Add a bronze to your Olympic medals young man :applause:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160820/news/bronze

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
I am going to make a bold prediction from now!!
Keshorn Walcott provided that he remains fit and keeps improving is going to be our first three times Olympic medallist at three separate Olympic games, London 2012, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020.

Also I expect Keshorn to medal at London 2017 World Champs provided he remains injury free. This will prove his consistency and make him one of the most respected Javelin throwers in the world in this new Javelin era where Black Javelin throwers start changing the mainly European domination of the sport.

Hopefully by next year Shakeil Waithe will also become a regular 83m plus Javelin thrower and will also be able to join Keshorn Walcott at upcoming World Championships and Olympic Finals.

In fact by Tokyo 2020 we could possibly have 3 Javelin throwers Keshorn Walcott, Shakeil Waithe and Tyriq Horsford (who will be 20 by 2020) in the Olympic Men's Javelin Final and become like Finland and Germany who are both regularly able to qualify up to 3 world class Javelin throwers to the Olympic Finals.   8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:33:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
I am going to make a bold prediction from now!!
Keshorn Walcott provided that he remains fit and keeps improving is going to be our first three times Olympic medallist at three separate Olympic games, London 2012, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020.

Also I expect Keshorn to medal at London 2017 World Champs provided he remains injury free. This will prove his consistency and make him one of the most respected Javelin throwers in the world in this new Javelin era where Black Javelin throwers start changing the mainly European domination of the sport.

Hopefully by next year Shakeil Waithe will also become a regular 83m plus Javelin thrower and will also be able to join Keshorn Walcott at upcoming World Championships and Olympic Finals.

In fact by Tokyo 2020 we could possibly have 3 Javelin throwers Keshorn Walcott, Shakeil Waithe and Tyriq Horsford (who will be 20 by 2020) in the Olympic Men's Javelin Final and become like Finland and Germany who are both regularly able to qualify up to 3 world class Javelin throwers to the Olympic Finals.   8)

yeah we have good young talent in javelin

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
Four years is a long time from now. I am looking forward to next year World Champs and next year regional Championships to see how our athletes improve from this year to next year.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2016, 03:24:59 AM »

Keshorn the Redeemer
A review of Team TTO at the Rio Olympics

You've heard of “Christ the Redeemer”, the iconic statue overlooking Rio de Janeiro, atop the Corcovado mountain. Well, a new saviour was at work in the Brazilian city on Saturday, August 20. “Keshorn the Redeemer”.

While not on the same scale as Jesus Christ, who was killed on a cross some 2,000 years ago so the world could have the opportunity for salvation, Keshorn Walcott's many hours of sacrifice, training at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, brought deliverance.
For 15 days, Trinidad and Tobago waited on a podium finish at the 2016 Olympics. And then, on Day 16 at the Games of 31st Olympiad, Walcott allayed the fears of a nation with men's javelin bronze.

Trinidad and Tobago was able to breathe a huge sigh of relief, thanks to Walcott's third-place finish, the 23-year-old athlete following up on the gold he had earned at London 2012. Walcott was indeed the country's last hope for a podium finish at Rio 2016 for he was the last T&T athlete in competition, his medal-winning 85.38 metres throw coming on the penultimate day of the Games.
Walcott's teammates, too, would have been relieved, for they had come under attack from members of the public in the preceeding fortnight. The criticism of national teams is common.
Read More; http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160902/sports/keshorn-the-redeemer

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #290 on: May 15, 2021, 06:48:46 AM »
Walcott: 'I will do whatever it takes for Olympic glory'
JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (T&T NEWSDAY).

Two-time Olympic medallist Keshorn Walcott is in Puerto Rico working on an intense training regime in anticipation of a long-awaited return to top-flight competition.

The javelin ace returns to the international stage at the 60th Ostrava Golden Spike Games in Czech Republic on Wednesday, after a hiatus of over 19 months from the sport, owing to the pandemic. His last meet was the IAAF World Athletics Championships in September 2019.

Walcott arrived in Puerto Rico ten days ago and will use it as a base to travel to competition in Europe ahead of the July 23-August 8 Tokyo Games. His coach, Ismael Lopez-Mastrapa is expected to join him within the coming days.

The 28-year old described the past year “non-existent,” as he was unable to compete at the few major meets on the European circuit. From mid-March 2020 to early November, all sporting facilities were shut down to reduce the spread of covid19.

On November 6, however, the government announced that athletes preparing to represent TT on the local and international circuit could resume training at sporting facilities, once they adhered to strict covid19 protocols.

As tough as it was to delay outdoor training during that seven-month period, Walcott used the down time to get some much-needed rest. Now, with the Olympics just over two months away, Walcott is eager to return to competition.

“I decided to take it upon myself this year. Last year was non-existent regarding competition. There were competition still ongoing in Europe, but clearly I’m at a year’s disadvantage in terms of catching up. I decided to try my best to leave TT early as possible.

“Whether or not it would take three or four months out here (preparing) before Olympics, I have to make it happen if I have any hopes of performing well at the games, You can train all you want, but it’s a different setting when it comes to competition.”

After next week’s stint in the Czech Republic, Walcott travels to Gateshead, Great Britain, for the IAAF’s first instalment of the 2021 Wanda Diamond League. From there, he heads to Finland for the June 7-8 Paavo Nurmi Games. Walcott is also scheduled to participate in a handful of other meets before the Summer Games.

With all of his competition venues in the eastern hemisphere, Walcott will have to pass through an array of covid19 checkpoints, quarantine facilities and other mandatory requirements to enter various countries. He has no plans to return to TT before the Tokyo Games.

Luckily, he has already received his first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine in Trinidad and is open to receiving his second dose in another country, once it's made available.

Walcott supports the idea of athletes being vaccinated beforehand to minimise the risk of catching the virus, especially during international transit.

Additionally, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and China recently teamed up to offer vaccines to athletes and teams preparing for the Tokyo and 2022 Beijing Winter Games.

“I am not one of those anti-vaccine people. I am trying to achieve something (Olympic glory) and I will do whatever it takes for me to achieve that.

“For me, it’s easy staying at home in Trinidad. When I’m abroad and moving about, passing through different countries and airports, I don’t want to put myself at risk. I had to do what it takes, and that (getting vaccinated) was one of the steps. I did it as soon as I was able to. I see the many comments on those for and against the vaccination every day on social media. But everyone has their opinions,” he said.

Walcott's plan, of two or three events each month leading up to the Olympics, is geared towards assessing where he’s at and improving his craft.

He says training has been going well and he has been recording some good distances over the past few months.

“I’m excited, and feel like I haven’t competed in several years. I hope I can carry my good efforts from training over into competition. I know the first few competitions for me are never really the best, but I hope this year to start at a much different level.

“My main objective this year is to throw far. I think once I continue and remain healthy, I would be able to accomplish that.

“I’m not going to put myself down and say I can’t do it because I haven’t been competing for a while. Sometimes the rest is good and it’s what your body needs. I’m going to go in with an open mind for the first competition and hopefully I can get a good performance.”

Walcott also acknowledged his longtime sponsors bmobile and the TT Olympic Committee for going all out to ensure he is well taken care of in the final phases of his Olympic preparations.

Walcott won TT’s second-ever Olympic gold medal with a distance of 84.58m at the London Games. Four years later, in Brail, he bagged bronze with 85.38m. His best distance and national record of 90.16m was achieved at the Lausanne leg of the Diamond League in 2015.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2021, 05:06:33 PM »

BOOM! Walcott today threw his season’s best of 82.84m to earn the silver medal in the men’s javelins at the Paavo Nurmi Games 2021. Walcott surpassed his previous best of 82.75 by some nine centimeters. https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/514143699931811/

Keep on pushing Keshorn!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2021, 11:10:20 PM »
Boom !!!! Boom!!! Boom!!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 26, 2021, 10:06:37 PM »
Keshorn just keep getting better better as the Olympics draw closer! He threw the best throw in his career yesterday in Finland. 89.12m

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/524713102208204/

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2021, 12:35:40 AM »
Keshorn Walcott throws season-best 89.12m to claim silver in Finland
JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (T&T NEWSDAY).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympic-bound Keshorn Walcott delivered a season-best throw of 89.12 metres to capture silver in the men’s javelin event at the Kuortane Games Athletics Meet in Kuortane, Finland on Saturday.

Walcott achieved the distance on his second throw. He fouled his third and opted out of his remaining three throws.

Topping the field was 2017 World Championships gold medallist German Johannes Veter, who produced a mammoth effort of 93.59 metres. India’s Neeraj Chopra was third with a distance of 86.79 metres.

Walcott wiped away his previous 2021 best throw of 82.84 metres, which was achieved in another runner-up performance at the Paavo Nurmi Games in Finland two weeks ago.

Since his return to competition, the 28-year old bagged bronze (82.75 metres) in Czech Republic on May 19 and then silver (77.78 metres) at the Wanda Diamond League in Gateshead, England four days later.

In a recent interview with Walcott, the Toco-born athlete said he had observed some technical mistakes with his recent performances on the European circuit. These distances however, were achieved without his coach Ismael Lopez Mastrapa at his side.

Two weeks ago, Mastrapa joined up with Walcott in Portugal and the pair used this time to work on these shortfalls. Heading into Saturday’s competition, Walcott did say he would have bettered his previous distances owing to Mastrapa’s guidance over the past 14 days.

The two-time Olympic medallist returns to action on Tuesday at the Spitzen Leichtathletik in Lucerne, Switzerland and climaxes his pre-Olympic competition on June 13 at the London leg of the Diamond League.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »
#3 in the world last time I looked. Literally the ONLY hope for a TTO track and field olympic medal.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »
#3 in the world last time I looked. Literally the ONLY hope for a TTO track and field olympic medal.

But remember! You said last month that T&T will get NO medals. So obviously Keshorn is out to prove you wrong!  ;D

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 30, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »
Tyra Gittens. .

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 30, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
I not changing what I said.

Keshorn still remains the only hope, but it's very slim.

Tyra had a whole college season but now she going to win medals against pros? Come on, men.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2021, 03:15:48 PM »
Walcott remains T&T ONLY athlete with any serious medal chances. With weeks he moved from outside the Top 30 to now Top 12. Maybe inspired by Ato NO medal prediction from last month

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/posts/528649355147912

1]; } ?>