March 28, 2024, 12:17:16 PM

Author Topic: 20 Performances of the Olympics...  (Read 6510 times)

Online gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
20 Performances of the Olympics...
« on: August 14, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
All Athletics posted the top 20 athletic performances of the 2012 London Olympics. I agree with almost everything that is on the list... Yes you guessed it Keshorn Walcott's gold medal winning performance was not included.

Looking at the list, its easy to say "they did not have to include Keshorn.. he did not achieve a record performance like the other athletes did...". Before you say that remember a few things:

-Keshorn was/is just a junior
-Keshorn comes from a country that has very little history and success in the javelin competition
-Keshorn was perhaps in the top 5 of throwers who are underfunded the most (no sponsors, but a javelin
 to practice with from the government)
-The conditions were not ideal for seeing a javelin record.. in fact it was very windy
-Despite the conditions, Keshorn threw a personal best while almost all of the throwers did not throw a
 personal best

Take in all of these factors, and it is hard to exclude Keshorn from being on that top 20 list. We should be wise of enough to know that the sports media hegemony is already beginning to treat this accomplishment by Keshorn as a fluke, or a mistake. Check out some of the stories. The majority of them are written in a way that is intended to have you thinking that it was by chance or fluke or luck that Keshorn won the gold medal.

I dont know. This lack of recognition in the wider global sporting press seems like racism to me. Seems like these sports writers/journalists are comfortable with keeping the javelin a "white mans" event as opposed to an event for all of humanity.

http://www.all-athletics.com/en-us/2012-08-12/top-20-performances-olympic-games

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Performances of the Olympics...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
Who is all athletics? (is it well known? ) I've seen Walcott name appear in a few British online news sites as most shocking winner/most memorable etc. I think IAAF website had a piece on him.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Online gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
Who is all athletics? (is it well known? ) I've seen Walcott name appear in a few British online news sites as most shocking winner/most memorable etc. I think IAAF website had a piece on him.

Dont know much about them. But DHW, sure this is a huge thing for Trinbagonians. But the truth of the matter is that this is really being over looked by the wider sporting community. And its not by chance.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
Fluke or no fluke it deserve to be there. I bet if Kishorn was American or Brit, it would definitely be there.

Looking at the list, its easy to say "they did not have to include Keshorn.. he did not achieve a record performance like the other athletes did...". Before you say that remember a few things:

looking at the list, I did thing all those people produce world records.  After all the halloobaloo done in TT and Kishorn get some deserve rest, then he will start to prepare to defend his "fluke". Kishorn, fluke them. They can't handle it.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
I really cant say it have some conspiracy , looking on the internet its all over the place. A google search of his name has 396 news articles already. Cah really use one website that leave his name out.

What would you like too see? cause i think everyone might have a different view on it.

Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
Bear in mind Javelin is not one of the glamour events of athletics it not even up dey with the Long Jump and high jump.

However, considering his background, age and TT's lack of pedigree in the event it's noteworthy.

He's broken his PB about eight times this year. And at only 19, I shudder to think how much more he will improve.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »
I tink peeps jes bein paranoid.

Javelin is extremely popular in Finland so Keshorn woulda probably get nuff press dey

Otherwise...seriously.  Would anyone have cared if anybody else other than Keshorn had won GOLD? 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
nope
Youtube Channel

Online gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »

Javelin is extremely popular in Finland so Keshorn woulda probably get nuff press dey

Otherwise...seriously.  Would anyone have cared if anybody else other than Keshorn had won GOLD? 

Paranoid? You have to resort to  ad hominem attacks (name calling) in order to make a point? What is it you dont like hearing about? Racism? Let me guess "together we aspire, together we achieve"?

I provided a strong case as to why this is a big accomplishment. Time to read between the lines and start thinking more critically. Its obvious these mega media conglomerations are happy with sweeping this one under the rugs as soon as possible. Because you havent heard the "N" word dont think everything is fine and dandy. Whenever a "white man" does well in anything, we know about it. Keshorn had the toughest road to travel and the highest hill to climb when compared to the rest of the competitors. If some young 19 year old from Scandinavia had won the event, there would be much more articles written on this accomplishment. Not only that, it would not be portrayed as a "fluke" or "good luck".

I agree that the javelin is not as popular as the running events. But that argument that "its just javelin" or "its not the 100m" "or its only popular in Scandinavia" is an attempt to devalue this huge trailblazing accomplishment that Keshorn has just achieved. There is a reason why the javelin has been a part of the games for over a century. So dont be fooled into thinking that his lack of recognition by the global media is due to the event's unpopularity.

Let me tell you something, you will never hear the Jamaican community devaluing an event like the discus or shot put if Fred Dacres or Travis Smikle had won a gold in it.

Its not paranoia.. Its having knowledge of black history and the understanding of how racism/white supremacy manifests itself.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:47:02 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:22:15 PM »
Can you prove his accomplishments is being hidden or not being taken seriously? Other than just that website where the author didn't mention him? . It seems you are basing your argument off that one article. Why should you care if one random website doesn't put his name?

Like I said before, there are more well known websites that have actually praised his accomplishments all over the world, even a few track/javelin forums I've read have nothing negative to say about him and congratulated him.

What else do you want the media to do? Cause I'm not seeing the lack of recognition from the media you speak of. Unless you think BBC, British papers, Espn, Indian papers, American websites, IAAF website etc are small fries. He is all over the net. If they were racist they sure doing a bad job at showing it.

I dont know. This lack of recognition in the wider global sporting press seems like racism to me. Seems like these sports writers/journalists are comfortable with keeping the javelin a "white mans" event as opposed to an event for all of humanity.

These are just some stories in the last few days, do you really care what some random article says over this? Where is the lack of recognition from writers/journalists? I really don't know how you can call this racist

After springing biggest surprise of the Games, Walcott 'enjoying every moment'
http://www.iaaf.org/Mini/OLY12/News/NewsDetail.aspx?id=67522

London 2012 Olympics: Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott earns lighthouse with javelin gold medal
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/9475686/London-2012-Olympics-Trinidad-and-Tobagos-Keshorn-Walcott-earns-lighthouse-with-javelin-gold-medal.html#disqus_thread

London 2012 Olympics: Javelin champion Keshorn Walcott throws party for great democracy of athletics
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/9473679/London-2012-Olympics-Javelin-champion-Keshorn-Walcott-throws-party-for-great-democracy-of-athletics.html

Olympics: Keshorn Walcott given lighthouse for gold
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19253050
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:22:26 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »

Paranoid? You have to resort to  ad hominem attacks (name calling) in order to make a point? What is it you dont like hearing about? Racism? Let me guess "together we aspire, together we achieve"?

I provided a strong case as to why this is a big accomplishment. Time to read between the lines and start thinking more critically. Its obvious these mega media conglomerations are happy with sweeping this one under the rugs as soon as possible. Because you havent heard the "N" word dont think everything is fine and dandy. Whenever a "white man" does well in anything, we know about it. Keshorn had the toughest road to travel and the highest hill to climb when compared to the rest of the competitors. If some young 19 year old from Scandinavia had won the event, there would be much more articles written on this accomplishment. Not only that, it would not be portrayed as a "fluke" or "good luck".

I agree that the javelin is not as popular as the running events. But that argument that "its just javelin" or "its not the 100m" "or its only popular in Scandinavia" is an attempt to devalue this huge trailblazing accomplishment that Keshorn has just achieved. There is a reason why the javelin has been a part of the games for over a century. So dont be fooled into thinking that his lack of recognition by the global media is due to the event's unpopularity.

Let me tell you something, you will never hear the Jamaican community devaluing an event like the discus or shot put if Fred Dacres or Travis Smikle had won a gold in it.

Its not paranoia.. Its having knowledge of black history and the understanding of how racism/white supremacy manifests itself.

My bad poster.  I honestly never meant to make any attack...ad hominem or otherwise on you or anyone else.  Obviously I haven't read into this issue nearly as much as you have.  Probably just makes me ignorant and you enlightened..and I have no problem with that.

Respeck
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
He hasn't proven anything , while he may be right with certain things that happen, im not seeing that to be the case here. I am still yet to see the fluke and good luck articles he speaks of or the lack of articles. How do you quantify how many articles is too little?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:49:23 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »

Dont know much about them. But DHW, sure this is a huge thing for Trinbagonians. But the truth of the matter is that this is really being over looked by the wider sporting community. And its not by chance.

You talking shit. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »
He hasn't proven anything , while he may be right with certain things that happen, im not seeing that to be the case here. I am still yet to see the fluke and good luck articles he speaks of or the lack of articles. How do you quantify how many articles is too little?

Bob Costas made particular mention of it the night they showed the competition... wish I'd recorded his comments as well and not just the competition itself.  He said, and I'm paraphrasing: "in the wake of the electrifying performance of Usain Bolt and his Jamaican team mates in the 4x100, it is easy to overlook the accomplishments of Keshorn Walcott, a 19-year old from Trinidad & Tobago..."

Gawd on Pitch would have you believe that is "racism" why we (really, he... not 'we') ent hearing more about Walcott's achievement.  How then would he explain all the attention being showered on Bolt, Blake, the US Women's 4x100 team, Gabby Douglas et al?

Or is it that they being "racist" against Trinis?  ::)

1]; } ?>