April 25, 2024, 05:44:57 PM

Author Topic: The Deon Lendore Thread  (Read 24223 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
The Deon Lendore Thread
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:22 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-08-20/advent-abilenian-deon-lendore

The advent of Abilenian Deon Lendore
Published: Monday, August 20, 2012
Dr Cliff Bertrand

Deon Lendore—Anchors T&T to 4x400m Olympic bronze

History is made and defined by landmark events. Because of these events, our world never would be the same. Such is the advent of the Abilenian, Deon Lendore. Born October, 28, 1992, to Chrispina Isaac of Mt Pleasant, Arima, Deon is the last of three children. He has a brother Jevon and a sister, Leah. He is the eyeball of his grandparents, Christine Lendore and Carmen Isaac. His schooling embraced St Theresa’s pre-school, run by Teacher Paula, Arima Boys Government and QRC. He is currently a business major at Texas A&M, University in USA. He started his running at Mt Pleasant Neighbourhood Block Party. He was discovered by Mike Perry, party organiser, who claimed that Deon was too good to compete against his peers on the block, and that he should join a club to take him to the next level of his game. His mother, Chrispina, a former athlete competing for Abilene Wildcats in the 70s, introduced her son to her former club. His world was never going to be the same. These events in his young life changed the direction of his focus. As destiny would have it, he was on the path to be Arima’s and Abilene Wildcats’ first Olympic Medalist.

Arima has produced more than 16 Olympians, but none like Deon Lendore. I called him on the night of his selection to the Olympic team and said to him, “Go get it, you are the chosen one.” He is developing. A college degree and not “The Pros” should be his priority. Financial incentive will be tempting, but short-lived. This is an important step in the decision-making process for him.

There’s no mystery. If you are in college, graduate! If you are not, ride the “elite” train! T&T took bronze in the 4x400m relay, contributing to another successful night for the Caribbean at the 30th Olympiad in London. It’s history. No T&T team has ever accomplished this feat. Gordon,  Solomon, Alleyne-Forte and Lendore combined for 2:59.40, NR (T&F News). Gordon said: “Everybody brought their best game.” Lendore added: “We had to run our best to medal.” Their splits in the final: Gordon—44.6; Solomon—44.6; Allyene–Forte—45.51; Lendore—44.73. 

T&T 4x400m Olympic bronze medal quartet—London 2012

“The world may be surprised, but as a team, watching our own performances throughout the year, we knew we would have given strong competition and take a medal.” The team broke into the elite ranks of Olympians when they finished third. Lendore, the young man from Abilene Wildcats Arima, with the “Wolf pack,” instantly scribed their names into Olympic history, and in T&T’s track mythologies.

Deon Lendore shows off his Olympic medal to mom, Chrispina, right,
and Christine Lendore, grandmother, left.

Today, his relatives are still beaming in the quiet hilly Mt Pleasant community of Arima at  their home. Seventy-seven-year-old Christine Lendore, grandmother, in a telephone conversation said: “I just could not believe that I was watching my grandson on TV running.”  His mother, Chrispina, said: “Cliff, all I could do was cry, as I never could believe what I just saw. My son anchoring the team to a medal?” Sister Leah said: “I was praying all the time, Thank you, Jesus! My little brother, an Olympic medalist?” Abilene Wildcats’ coach, Charlie Joseph said: “He was super. I can’t say it any better. He did extremely well, we are proud of him. Now, we need the velodrome to train.”
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:41:08 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

Re: The Deon Lendore Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »
Boy I kinda like this Dr bertrand eh, but he writes like he is about 13 years old.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do your patriotic duty and Vote Lendore for Bowerman Trophy
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
Vote now as Fans’ voting will close on 12th August 2014! (www.thebowerman.com)

Vote Lendore for Bowerman Trophy
Friday, August 1, 2014
By Andrew  Gioannetti (T&T Guardian)

T&T’s Deon Lendore, now one of the most recognisable faces in American collegiate track and field following an illustrious 2014 NCAA indoor and outdoor 400m double, needs one thing to top his season off—the Bowerman Award.

The Bowerman Trophy is the highest accolade awarded to the year’s best student athlete in track and field. Lendore now holds a lead over two long distance runners, Edward Cheserek of Oregon and Arizona’s Lawi Lalang, the two other finalists for the Bowerman Trophy.

Lendore reached to the summit of recognition by the United States Track & Field Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), the host of the award, after he claimed the 400m (US) national title at the NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships in 45.21 seconds and the 400m title at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships in 45.02 seconds.

He also anchored the Aggies for its 4x400m relay title which is won in a meet-record 2:59.60 with a split of 44.11 seconds, after he ran a then-world-leading 44.90 in his 2014 outdoor 400 metres debut at the Arizona State Sun Angel Classic.

In total, Lendore went undefeated in the 400m distance this season, winning 14 races and eight finals. He remains the only US collegiate runner to have dipped under 45 seconds outdoors this season, which he did twice in three finals.

Meanwhile, Cheserek and Lalang shared titles as the fastest long distance college runners. Cheserek won the 10,000m title at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships, and both the 3,000 and 5,000 metres titles at the Division I Indoor Championships, while Lawi Lalang of Arizona won the 5,000m title at the Division I Indoor Championships in a meet-record 13:18.36.

He also finished runner-up in the mile and 5,000m at the NCAA Division I Indoor Championships.

The total vote from fans will count as just one in the overall voting process, with media, statisticians, administrators and coaches all also having one vote each in the overall result.

Voting can be done online at www.thebowerman.com.

Fans’ voting will close on August 12
and the final result will be kept secret until December 17 when the Bowerman Trophy Awards Show is held in Phoenix, Arizona.

The Bowerman was first awarded in 2009 and is presented annually by the USTFCCCA to the most outstanding male and female collegiate track and field athletes based in the US.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:22:36 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do your patriotic duty and Vote Lendore for Bowerman Trophy
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
Lendore we supporting you by voting but is like you cyah even give us back a little patriotic support by running ah simple relay leg for us to help secure our first CWG 4x4 relay gold since 1966?

Wish you would have the same courage to blank your college Texas A&M for one race when they try to overwork you and bun you out by having you run everything from 4x100m to 4x400m and in between during the college season.

When they finish with you you have nothing left for your country T&T and we thought that slavery days were over and are celebrating Emancipation this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:30:11 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »
You go pay he college tuition.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 04:36:43 PM »

I'm sure he wasn't de only college student there. But ah probable should take ah pause because ah real piss off right now because it was probably a coaches decision, an American coach who doesn't care two hoots about him going to de commonwealth games representing his country.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »

Are Slavery Days not over?! Those folks at Texas A&M obviously don't care about overworking our Deon so much so that he had nothing left in the tank to help T&T win its first surety 4x4 relay gold medal since 1966.

If they are able to Texas A&M will burn Lendore out next season as well and he will be in the same situation for the 2015 World Championships as he was for 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Deon Lendore has to learn when to put his foot down and say too much is too much in the interest of his future career as a World Class 400m sprinter especially if he wants to have anything left in the tank to challenge the likes of Kirani James and Merritt after leaving college.

Read article below to see how they have been overusing/overworking Deon Lendore this season.

If Lendore does not win that Bowerman Award then I hope he realizes that all that sacrifice he made this season killing himself for Texas A&M was not in his long term interest.

‘Kind of iffy’
Lendore doubtful for Commonwealth Games

Story Created: May 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago’s Olympic medallist Deon Lendore has expressed doubt about his participation in the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Glasglow, Scotland.  “The Commonwealth Games right now is a kind of iffy situation, because this season I have really been hitting it hard,” said Lendore.

“I went from being number one indoor where I’ve been running some fast times back-to-back, to coming outdoor and dropping some serious time.” Lendore, who ran the second fastest time in the world this year to claim 400m gold in 44.36 over the weekend, says a hectic college season will leave him at a disadvantage.

The 21-year-old athlete’s achievement for his school Texas A&M earned him hero status for rewriting a 45-year-old record. Although he ran for Texas A&M, Lendore’s performance had booked him a place on the national team for the Commonwealth Games.

“I have been running a lot of races compared to everybody else. Then at the NCAA Championships, I will be running like six races. I don’t think I will be in the shape,” said Lendore  “Everybody else (is) not running the collegiate circuit. They don’t know how hard I have it right now to be running all these races.”

Earlier, the Trinidadian quarter miler anchored the Texas A&M four by one hundred metre team to gold to help his school finish first on the men’s points table. Lendore said his attention will now shift to the Regional Championships where he is expected to compete in several races.

“Within a month, I’m going to run like 12, 13, 14 races,” he said. “Everybody else will have like two races. I will be at a disadvantage. I will be tired. I won’t be able to give it my all”. The XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, is scheduled to start in July.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:05:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:53 AM »
If Lendore does not win that Bowerman Award then I hope he realizes that all that sacrifice he made this season killing himself for Texas A&M was not in his long term interest.

Why? Lendore's performances spoke for themselves. I don't think he perform for the Bowerman Award. He performed for his school first and foremost. anything else like this award is a sort of ice-ning on the cake. Will he be a senior this coming fall?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »
We can't have it both ways. he get a scholarship in the US. If the powers that be had done the same for Dion as they did for Jehue, then he would have been in TT and would have  run at CWG. The man eh no slouch. But I eh go say anything more. I know everybody just pissed off by Hewitt getting blown away by the Bahamian. At least they know where the "weakness" lies. But don't dump on Hewiit either. We may need him. You know fragile athletes are? Ask MLA.

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
We can't have it both ways. he get a scholarship in the US. If the powers that be had done the same for Dion as they did for Jehue, then he would have been in TT and would have  run at CWG. The man eh no slouch. But I eh go say anything more. I know everybody just pissed off by Hewitt getting blown away by the Bahamian. At least they know where the "weakness" lies. But don't dump on Hewiit either. We may need him. You know fragile athletes are? Ask MLA.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »

Why? Lendore's performances spoke for themselves. I don't think he perform for the Bowerman Award. He performed for his school first and foremost. anything else like this award is a sort of ice-ning on the cake. Will he be a senior this coming fall?

Not sure if he will be a college senior but hopefully that will be the case.

Regards the Bowerman Award I don't think Lendore performed all season just to win the Bowerman Award but based upon all the titles he has won this season and the sacrifices he has made to his body to represent his college and win all the titles that he did, he deserves to win the Bowerman Award this year hands down.

Therefore if Lendore does not win the award then I hope it helps him to realize that the Americans are more concerned about putting their colleges on the map than looking after the long term interest of any talented foreign athletes used to put them there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:24:24 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »
Therefore if Lendore does not win the award then I hope it helps him to realize that the Americans are more concerned about putting their colleges on the map than looking after the long term interest of any talented foreign athletes used to put them there.

That has always been the case. They using you, you using them. Running will HOPEFULLY help him in the long run. My only thing is with Dion, I think he needs to bulk up a lil more and do some 200s to help for speed.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »

That has always been the case. They using you, you using them. Running will HOPEFULLY help him in the long run. My only thing is with Dion, I think he needs to bulk up a lil more and do some 200s to help for speed.

You don't seem to be that concerned about Deon being burned out by his college and having little left in the tank to keep him at the top of the game after he leaves college and decides that he may want to go full time as a pro athlete.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
Look at the difference between Lendore's workload and Kirani's when he was at Alabama - night and day. Harvey Glance seems aware that he carries the hope of Grenada and ran him in the 400m exclusively, even had him drop the 200m he used to win as a junior.

When the Borlee twins from Belgium ran at Florida State their father kept tight control over their workload and they only ran the ACC conference meet and NCAAs, then after a few seasons and 1 NCAA title in each the 400m and 4x400m relay left and went back home.

Steve Solomon of Australia started at Stanford and runs only sparingly in relays and 400m at the PAC conference meet and NCAAs. He has been injured twice (back) and now at the CWG since joining Stanford. I would not be surprised if he stays at Stanford to get his medical degree but goes pro and gives up his scholarship to better manage that workload and tailor his season for the Aussie championship schedule.

Texas A&M has produced some scintillating teams in the 4x400m over the last 5+ years including Tabarie Henry of the USVI, but are any of those lineage 400m on the world scene today? NONE!!

But we boy went to run 400m and 4x400m relay, now he runs the 200m indoors and the 4x100m outdoors. They don't have enough short sprinters for those events? Shavez Hart his room mate from the Bahamas, Prezel Hardy, and many more. What next, 200m outdoors?

You would think his coach should ease his hand and think, "this man has a future in the pros and would be representing his country?" Lendore has done more than enough to justify his scholarship. His workload has gone way beyond that and needs to be addressed.

Whether or not he wins the Bowerman, he needs to "balls up" and say to his coach, "As NCAA indoor and outdoor champion, SEC champion, I've done more than enough for my 4 years in just 3 years, so in my senior year and beyond, what is Texas A&M going to do for Deon Lendore?"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:19:25 PM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Look at the difference between Lendore's workload and Kirani's when he was at Alabama - night and day. Harvey Glance seems aware that he carries the hope of Grenada and ran him in the 400m exclusively, even had him drop the 200m he used to win as a junior.

When the Borlee twins from Belgium ran at Florida State their father kept tight control over their workload and they only ran the ACC conference meet and NCAAs, then after a few seasons and 1 NCAA title in each the 400m and 4x400m relay left and went back home.

Steve Solomon of Australia started at Stanford and runs only sparingly in relays and 400m at the PAC conference meet and NCAAs. He has been injured twice (back) and now at the CWG since joining Stanford. I would not be surprised if he stays at Stanford to get his medical degree but goes pro and gives up his scholarship to better manage that workload and tailor his season for the Aussie championship schedule.

Texas A&M has produced some scintillating teams in the 4x400m over the last 5+ years including Tabarie Henry of the USVI, but are any of those lineage 400m on the world scene today? NONE!!

But we boy went to run 400m and 4x400m relay, now he runs the 200m indoors and the 4x100m outdoors. They don't have enough short sprinters for those events? Shavez Hart his room mate from the Bahamas, Prezel Hardy, and many more. What next, 200m outdoors?

You would think his coach should ease his hand and think, "this man has a future in the pros and would be representing his country?" Lendore has done more than enough to justify his scholarship. His workload has gone way beyond that and needs to be addressed.

Whether or not he wins the Bowerman, he needs to "balls up" and say to his coach, "As NCAA indoor and outdoor champion, SEC champion, I've done more than enough for my 4 years in just 3 years, so in my senior year and beyond, what is Texas A&M going to do for Deon Lendore?"

Couldn't say it better!
Lendore has more than paid his dues to his college and needs to balls up to his coach as his future as a successful pro athlete is now being jeopardized with all this excessive workload and possible total burn out by the time he leaves college.
Lendore needs to let his Texas A&M college coach realize than he has already done way more than is expected of a student athlete and slavery days are now over as he wants to have a future career as a top athlete after college!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:12:43 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 09:34:48 PM »
Well then allyuh encourage him to leave Texas.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 09:49:22 PM »
Well then allyuh encourage him to leave Texas.

He doesn't need to leave, he just needs to balls up to his college coach.
He shouldn't have a workload that is many times more than his college class mates.
Hopefully he puts his foot down next season if he wants to have a successful future in track after college.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:54:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lendore nominated for US track award
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
Lendore nominated for US track award
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created:    Aug 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM ECT (T&T Express)

Vote for Deon Lendore.

No need to panic. The talented Trinidad and Tobago athlete has not made the decision to hang up his spikes, in favour of a career in politics.

Lendore is a finalist for the prestigious Bowerman Trophy—awarded annually to the most outstanding male and female track and field athletes in the United States collegiate system.

The Bowerman Trophy is presented by the US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). The system of selection, however, includes a fan voting element that could prove crucial in determining the eventual winners. To vote, simply log on to www.thebowerman.org.

Lendore was outstanding in 2014 for Texas A&M University, winning the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) indoor and outdoor 400 metres titles.

Lendore was the 2014 world-leader in the indoor 400 with a 45.03 seconds national record run, the clocking earning him gold at the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Indoor Championships.

And at the SEC Outdoor Championships, Lendore clocked a jaw-dropping 44.36 seconds to strike gold and become the second fastest T&T quartermiler in history, behind Ian Morris (44.21). The 21-year-old Abilene Wildcats athlete is currently fourth on the 2014 world outdoor performance list with the 44.36 run.

Lendore completed his 2014 campaign unbeaten in individual events, winning 14 400m races—six indoors and eight outdoors—as well as an indoor 200m event.

Lendore anchored Texas A&M to NCAA Outdoor Championship 4x400m gold, as well as SEC outdoor and indoor titles in the same event. He even stepped out of his comfort zone to anchor his school to the SEC outdoor 4x100m title and second spot at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

The other finalists for the Bowerman Trophy men’s award are Kenyan distance runners Edward Cheserek (University of Oregon) and Lawi Lalang (University of Arizona).

Fan voting at www.thebowerman.org opened last week Monday, July 28, and closes next Tuesday, August 12.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:26:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
Leh we see wha will happen on Dec 17th

Lendore & Roesler Earn The Bowerman Trophy Fan Vote Victories

While The Bowerman Trophy – collegiate track & field’s highest individual honor – will not be officially awarded until December 17, the results of the Fan Vote made clear the general public’s picks to win the men’s and women’s awards: Deon Lendore of Texas A&M and Laura Roesler of Oregon.

Lendore notched 52.56 percent of the men’s vote with 8,812 total votes – this year’s highest total for either gender – to win by a wide margin over Edward Cheserek of Oregon in second and Lawi Lalang of Arizona in third.

Roesler accrued 41.71 percent of the women’s competition with a final total of 8,239 to defeat runner-up Courtney Okolo of Texas and third-place Sharika Nelvis of Arkansas State.

The results of the Fan Vote will count as one ballot in the overall process alongside the ballots of former winners and track & field media members, administrators, statisticians and experts from around the country.

By virtue of their Fan Vote victories, Lendore and Roesler will both receive three points in the overall The Bowerman Trophy voting process. Cheserek and Okolo will both receive two points, and Lalang and Nelvis will earn one

http://www.ustfccca.org/2014/08/featured/lendore-roesler-earn-the-bowerman-fan-vote-victories   

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
Nice, good luck dec 17th

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
Lendore wins the Bowerman Award

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251650-Bowerman-Awards-2014/article/29088-Roesler-and-Lendore-Win-The-Bowerman#.VJNsXAL0F4

Says he will add the 200m to his schedule - he better manage his race/workload with 2015/2016 post-NCAA champs in mind
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:31:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
Congrats to Deon!!  :beermug:

Here is video of full awards show!!

The Bowerman Presentation 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kPEE2MojVVk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kPEE2MojVVk</a>
Go to 1:37:38 for Deon's Career Profile and Award Presentation!

The Bowerman Presentation (7pm MT) and The Red Carpet Show at The Bowerman (6:25pm MT). Held in conjunction with the 2014 USTFCCCA Convention at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix, Ariz.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:05:37 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
Congrats. Real happy for this dude.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:32:17 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
Some more interview links:

Deon Lendore wins the 2014 Bowerman Award:
http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251650-Bowerman-Awards-2014/video/754717-Deon-Lendore-wins-the-2014-Bowerman-Award

Congrats to him  :beermug:

Look forward to seeing him run for T&T next year

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »
So he will be a senior in 2016?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lendore awarded 2014 Bowerman Trophy
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
Monday, December 22 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Trinidad and Tobago and Texas A&M 400m sprinter, Deon Lendore, and Oregon mid-distance runner Laura Roesler were awarded The Bowerman Trophy as the Most Outstanding male and female collegiate track & field athletes respectively of the 2013-14 season in a ceremony held Wednesday evening at the US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Convention.

Lendore is the first male athlete from the South Eastern Conference to win this award while Roesler is the first female athlete from the Pac-12 to capture such honours. The national sprinter’s victory saw him become the fourth straight Bowerman awardee claimed by an international athlete. Roesler is the first athlete of either gender to win with the 800m as her primary event, while Lendore is the first man to win on the strength of his performances in the 400m.

After receiving the esteemed award, Lendore stated, “I’d like to thank God for giving me talent and bringing me to the United States, and the board for selecting me. We’re all great athletes, and all of the finalists are winners today.”

Lendore put together one of the most dominant collegiate campaigns ever. He ran in eight 400m finals in 2014, winning them all and going 1-0 in the 200m to boot. His 45.03s was the fastest indoor time in the world this year, and his 44.36s outdoors led the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). In addition to indoor and outdoor national titles in the 400m, the junior anchored the winning 4×400 meter relay and the runner-up 4×100 at outdoor nationals.

Speaking after the ceremony, Lendore added, “I’m very happy. The long wait since August (nominations) is over and now we know who’s the winner. We had a good season and if it was up to me I would have split (the award) three ways with my fellow nominees. It’s really a nice way to end the season.”

Asked about his 2015 preparations, the successful track athlete revealed, “I’m not going to be complacent with this year. I’m going to go out there and push to the limit and get the best out of myself. I want to see what’s the best I can get out of Deon Lendore.”

Roesler was similarly untouchable in 2014. The Duck senior won six out of the seven collegiate 800 metre finals–including the indoor and outdoor NCAA championships–she entered this season. (Her only loss at any distance this year came when she dropped out at the MPSF indoor meet) She’s one of the fastest collegians ever. Her 2:00.54 at Mt SAC is the fastest in NCAA regular season history. Both Roesler and Lendore won the fan vote this summer. They join the ranks of former winners of The Bowerman that includes decathlon world record holder and Olympic gold medallist Ashton Eaton, 1500 metre world champion Jenny Barringer (Simpson), Olympic 10k silver medallist Galen Rupp, 2013 100-metre hurdles world champion Brianna Rollins and 2012 Olympic high jump bronze medallist Derek Drouin.

Meawhile, Lendore’s performances against collegians compared favourably to most professionals’ seasons this year. The junior ran the fastest indoor 400 time in the world, and his outdoor season best (run at the SEC meet at Kentucky) made him the fourth-best performer in the world this year.

Like Roesler, Lendore had an outstanding relay season. His 44.63 split for the Aggie indoor 4×400 is the fastest two-lap split in college history. And his anchor leg in Eugene clinched the 4×4 outdoor national title for Texas A&M. That squad ran 2:59.60, just one one-hundredth of a second shy of the collegiate record.

The Bowerman, which debuted in 2009, is presented annually by the USTFCCCA to the most outstanding male and female collegiate track & field athletes in the nation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 04:29:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
Monday, December 22 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Deon Lendore, T&T and Texas A&M 400m sprinter, receives 2014 Bowerman Trophy

Trinidad and Tobago and Texas A&M 400m sprinter, Deon Lendore, and Oregon mid-distance runner Laura Roesler were awarded The Bowerman Trophy as the Most Outstanding male and female collegiate track & field athletes respectively of the 2013-14 season in a ceremony held Wednesday evening at the US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Convention.

Lendore is the first male athlete from the South Eastern Conference to win this award while Roesler is the first female athlete from the Pac-12 to capture such honours. The national sprinter’s victory saw him become the fourth straight Bowerman awardee claimed by an international athlete. Roesler is the first athlete of either gender to win with the 800m as her primary event, while Lendore is the first man to win on the strength of his performances in the 400m.

After receiving the esteemed award, Lendore stated, “I’d like to thank God for giving me talent and bringing me to the United States, and the board for selecting me. We’re all great athletes, and all of the finalists are winners today.”

Lendore put together one of the most dominant collegiate campaigns ever. He ran in eight 400m finals in 2014, winning them all and going 1-0 in the 200m to boot. His 45.03s was the fastest indoor time in the world this year, and his 44.36s outdoors led the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association). In addition to indoor and outdoor national titles in the 400m, the junior anchored the winning 4×400 meter relay and the runner-up 4×100 at outdoor nationals.

Speaking after the ceremony, Lendore added, “I’m very happy. The long wait since August (nominations) is over and now we know who’s the winner. We had a good season and if it was up to me I would have split (the award) three ways with my fellow nominees. It’s really a nice way to end the season.”

Asked about his 2015 preparations, the successful track athlete revealed, “I’m not going to be complacent with this year. I’m going to go out there and push to the limit and get the best out of myself. I want to see what’s the best I can get out of Deon Lendore.”

Roesler was similarly untouchable in 2014. The Duck senior won six out of the seven collegiate 800 metre finals–including the indoor and outdoor NCAA championships–she entered this season. (Her only loss at any distance this year came when she dropped out at the MPSF indoor meet) She’s one of the fastest collegians ever. Her 2:00.54 at Mt SAC is the fastest in NCAA regular season history. Both Roesler and Lendore won the fan vote this summer. They join the ranks of former winners of The Bowerman that includes decathlon world record holder and Olympic gold medallist Ashton Eaton, 1500 metre world champion Jenny Barringer (Simpson), Olympic 10k silver medallist Galen Rupp, 2013 100-metre hurdles world champion Brianna Rollins and 2012 Olympic high jump bronze medallist Derek Drouin.

Meawhile, Lendore’s performances against collegians compared favourably to most professionals’ seasons this year. The junior ran the fastest indoor 400 time in the world, and his outdoor season best (run at the SEC meet at Kentucky) made him the fourth-best performer in the world this year.

Like Roesler, Lendore had an outstanding relay season. His 44.63 split for the Aggie indoor 4×400 is the fastest two-lap split in college history. And his anchor leg in Eugene clinched the 4×4 outdoor national title for Texas A&M. That squad ran 2:59.60, just one one-hundredth of a second shy of the collegiate record.

The Bowerman, which debuted in 2009, is presented annually by the USTFCCCA to the most outstanding male and female collegiate track & field athletes in the nation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here is short video of Deon collecting his award!!

The Bowerman Award for 2014 goes to Deon Lendore, yet another race the Aggie could not be beat in!

Deon Lendore | 2014 Bowerman Award Winner
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/88cwKHPOB9o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/88cwKHPOB9o</a>

And here is longer 15 minuite video clip of Deon's interview at the show and then being announced the The Bowerman Award 2014 winner.

Deon Lendore of Trinidad & Tobago wins 2014 Bowerman Award

Deon Lendore of Trinidad & Tobago became the first Caribbean athlete to win The Bowerman Award announced on Wednesday December 18, 2014.

And here is video of full awards show!!

The Bowerman Presentation 2014
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kPEE2MojVVk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kPEE2MojVVk</a>
Go to 1:37:38 for Deon's Career Profile and Award Presentation!

The Bowerman Presentation (7pm MT) and The Red Carpet Show at The Bowerman (6:25pm MT). Held in conjunction with the 2014 USTFCCCA Convention at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix, Ariz.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:30:13 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
12th Man Magazine Feature: Fast Track
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 08:52:13 PM »
12th Man Magazine Feature: Fast Track
February 06, 2015  | Courtesy: Texas A&M Athletics

Deon Lendore—T&T and Texas A&M’s Olympic medalist

FAST TRACK

with the completion of its new home in the south end zone of Kyle Field,
12th Man Productions will have the premier facility of its kind in the SEC

We’ve all heard the famous adage—you can fool some of the people some of the time.

But you can’t fool mom.

Deon Lendore—Texas A&M’s Olympic medalist, national champion, all American and newly-crowned winner of the prestigious Bowerman Award, collegiate track and field’s Heisman Trophy—has his mother’s intuition to thank for kick-starting his career in the sport.

As a two-sport prep athlete at Queen’s Royal College in his native Trinidad and Tobago, Lendore admits he wasn’t into track that much. Soccer was his passion and love but his mother, Chrispina Edmund, wasn’t fond of her son playing such a physical sport. Deon would leave the house with his track spikes, but keep his soccer boots at school and frequent soccer practice instead.

That is, until mom stepped in.

“One day, I don’t know how she figured it out…I think I was too dirty when I came home,” Lendore recalls. “She asked me if I went to practice, and I just couldn’t lie. She told me she didn’t ever want to see me going to soccer anymore. She sent me back to track and I had to stick with track.

"Deon is a true Aggie. This kid will be an Aggie his whole life. He’s one that loves the institution, loves the opportunity and loves the environment here."

- Pat Henry, Head Coach

“But, after I saw how I was progressing? Over time, I realized I wasn’t that bad. And track wasn’t too bad.”

He got better and faster, but his ceiling was low on the tiny Caribbean island where sport is dominated by soccer and cricket. His high school coach, Charles Joseph, pushed Lendore to leave Trinidad and head to the United States—explaining that stiff college competition would make him a better athlete.

Next came the big decision…where to go?

Watching track races on the internet, Deon and a friend stumbled upon a video of the Aggies’ 2010 national champion 4x4 relay team. The results spoke for themselves.

“They were just great,” Lendore recalls. “From that, one video led to another, and I thought to myself, ‘I think I want to go to this school’.”

After working through a friend who had a friend who was a student at A&M, Lendore made contact with the coaching staff and less than two weeks later was inside the Gilliam Indoor Stadium on an official visit.

“I came to that home meet and saw the atmosphere, and I fell in love. I wanted to come to (A&M).”

One of the first things that stuck out to the Aggies’ hall of fame coach, Pat Henry, during the recruiting process was Lendore’s determination and desire to be the best in everything he does.

“Just like a great quarterback or a great running back, (track athletes) want to go to an environment where they know they’ll be a part of a competitive team. And that’s Deon. He’s a team guy, and that was a big part of it…he knew this was a place he might want to look real hard at.”

"I love running for Texas A&M. The people here are so welcoming. They accept you for who you are and support you 110 percent."

- Deon Lendore

As a wide-eyed freshman trekking around the College Station campus, 3,000 miles from home, Lendore says he spent his first year learning the tradition—soaking it all in, from ‘Howdy’ to “the Aggie sway”, as he calls it.

He claimed three Big 12 titles that spring and ran well enough at Trinidad’s national championships that summer to earn a spot on the country’s track delegation for the 2012 London Olympics.

At just 19 and a freshman in college, here he was running the anchor leg on his country’s 4x4 Olympic relay team. He led Trinidad to the top qualifying time in the semifinals and the following day, with a medal at stake, he got the baton as the anchor leg again. Turning the homestretch he heard a roar from the Olympic Stadium crowd and a quick glance behind him showed a flash of white—the host country was hot on his heels. Lendore held off the challenge by 13 hundredths of a second, crossed the line and…passed out.

“My teammates caught me, then they started screaming at me. When I opened my eyes they were yelling at me, ‘We did it! We did it! We got a medal!’ I looked up at the screen and saw Trinidad and Tobago in third and I was so happy.”

That moment, he admits, changed everything for him. He knew making the choice to come back to college would mean people would expect so much more out of him—but it also gave him a tremendous boost of confidence.

“After running in the Olympics, I think I can run anywhere now.”

Much like football, basketball and baseball, lucrative pro contracts are out there. But for Lendore, he couldn’t picture being anywhere but Texas A&M.

“Deon is a true Aggie,” Henry says. “This kid will be an Aggie his whole life. He’s one that loves the institution, loves the opportunity and loves the environment here. You have to understand…after winning a bronze medal at the Olympics he could have signed a pro contract, but he put all that off because his education is very important to him. Being an Aggie has been very important to him.”

Sitting in the stands of the track stadium and seeing him beam when he discusses being an Aggie, there’s no doubt where he belongs.

“I love running for Texas A&M. The people here are so welcoming. They accept you for who you are and support you 110 percent. That’s what I love about Texas A&M. Being an Aggie is one of the greatest things you can be, no matter where you go and what you do.”

As his A&M career continued, the records continued to fall. The championships piled up. He helped win a team national championship in 2013.

"Being an Aggie is one of the greatest things you can be, no matter where you go and what you do."

- Deon Lendore

Then came a text message from assistant coach Alleyne Francique.

“He said to me, ‘You’re going to win the Bowerman next year’. I knew that wasn’t an easy feat. All I asked him was, how are we going to do it?

“He said, ‘We’re just not going to lose’.”

The following spring, Lendore did just that. He went undefeated through 14 races at 400 meters. He swept SEC and NCAA titles (both indoor and outdoor). He produced some of the fastest collegiate times in the sport’s history. He set national records.

All told, including relays, Lendore won five SEC championships and three NCAA crowns.

In one season.

It’s no surprise that his name was called as the Bowerman winner last month.

“The Bowerman is such an important award for our sport,” A&M head coach Pat Henry explains. “We have as many people participate in track and field as there are playing football at the NCAA level—and there’s only one award. For him to be named the best male out there—that is just outstanding.”

In a sport dominated by individual performances, he is the consummate ‘team’ guy. Lendore makes sure to point out how his victory will help his beloved Aggie track and field program.

“It’s a great feeling to win the Bowerman. It’s all about completing the smaller goals for the bigger goal. And for the program, people will respect it even more. It shows that Texas A&M impacts the track world and the Aggies too can be up there with anyone else.”

"He’s about making the best. He wants to make you a great athlete and he likes the challenge of making great athletes. That’s what I like about Coach Henry."

- Deon Lendore

The engaging 23-year-old, who will earn his degree in sports administration with a business minor this December, has one semester left in his collegiate career. And even after all the national recognition, he is ever grateful to Pat Henry for taking a chance on bringing him to Aggieland.

“When I came here, I wasn’t the best and I wasn’t the fastest out of high school. There were a lot of guys faster than me. But Coach Henry took me, and the fact he actually took me and told me that he’d make me a great athlete gave me a lot of trust in him and in the program.

“He’s about making the best. He wants to make you a great athlete and he likes the challenge of making great athletes. That’s what I like about Coach Henry.”

So after all the records, the Olympic medal, the national championships, the Bowerman Award…what is there left to accomplish?

“I like breaking records,” Lendore says with a big grin. “All the old records I have I will try and break again. My goal when I came up here was to try and be one of the best quarter milers that have ever run for Texas A&M, and my goal this year…is to try and make Texas A&M even more well-known out there.

“I want people to not only know Texas A&M, but to fear Texas A&M…and know that once there’s a Texas A&M uniform out there you should be scared. You should be worried about what we’re capable of doing.”

Deon Lendore's Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/deonlendore
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:57:46 AM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Deon Lendore Thread
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
Looks like the injury bug may have bitten tonight. He. Has a DNF next to his name from his heat at. The SEC championships.

http://results.flotrack.org/2015/02-27-SEC/Web/Result-Track.php?EN=22&RN=1&ST=Official&D=1

27   Chris Walker
SR - South Carolina   48.88                       7(4)
28   Gabriel Aird
JR - Florida   49.01                       8(4)
29   Greg Chiles
FR - South Carolina   49.58                       2(4)
30   Adam Civitano
SR - Auburn   50.58                       4(4)
DNF   Deon Lendore
SR - Texas A&M               
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>