April 29, 2024, 11:01:04 AM

Author Topic: Woman who ruined Spanish artwork says priest knew she was painting on it  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Woman who ruined Spanish artwork says priest knew she was painting on it
By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper (TODAY)

People around the world were shocked Wednesday when images of a ruined 19th century Spanish painting of Christ were revealed. But now the woman who altered the painting is saying a priest in the church that was home to the artwork knew she was attempting to touch up the faded piece.

Cecilia Gimenez, identified only as being "in her 80s," spoke to Televisión Española after the story spread. A reporter asked Gimenez if she had been instructed to paint on the artwork.

The BBC provides an English translation of her answer as, "Of course! It was the priest! The priest knew it, he did!"

When asked if she did the work secretly, Gimenez's translated response is, "Of course not! Everybody who came into the church could see I was painting."

But the New York Times reports that authorities in the region at first suspected vandalism, and said Gimenez had acted on her own. Authorities are considering legal action against Gimenez, the Times reports.

Television Española also spoke with Teresa Garcia, the granddaughter of Elias Garcia Martinez, the artist who painted "Ecce Homo (Behold the Man)" more than a century ago. Garcia seemed to be OK with part of Gimenez's restoration work.

"Until now, she had just painted the tunic, but the problem started when she painted on the head as well," Garcia told the reporter. "She has destroyed this painting."

Officials in the area, near Zaragoza, Spain, have contacted professional art restorers to examine the painting and suggest how it might be repaired.

Reaction to Gimenez's work has been overwhelming. Many who posted responses on TODAY's Facebook page found the final result humorous, some were outraged that Gimenez attempted to alter the work and others begged for sympathy for the would-be artist.

Wrote Geraldine Hamtil Cassidy, "Look, nobody knows what Jesus really looked like. Maybe her rendition is more accurate..."

The BBC Europe correspondent described the painting's current state as resembling "a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This shouldn't be funny but  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQevyIy8hzs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NQevyIy8hzs</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This shouldn't be funny but  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I real laugh too

crazy old woman turn jesus into ah snow macaque

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
she was really a atheist in disguise ...
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
She even shave poor Jesus beard yes... I too had to stifle ah laugh, but it really sad.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
She even shave poor Jesus beard yes... I too had to stifle ah laugh, but it really sad.

I still waiting to hear this was a hoax... holding out hope
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

truetrini

she was really a atheist in disguise ...

Atheists doh move so fella.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do you think Jesus will for give her? I know so!!!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do you think Jesus will for give her? I know so!!!!

Is not like the original picture was of Jesus...  ::)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>