April 24, 2024, 09:59:27 PM

Author Topic: Minister in the Ministry of Natonal Security arrested???  (Read 4276 times)

truetrini

Minister in the Ministry of Natonal Security arrested???
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
Is it true that the Minister in the Ministry of National Security Hon. Colin Partap was arrested last night for driving under the influence (drunk driving) after attending a party at a night club???

ANyone can verify this?

It is also reported that he REFUSED to do the breathalyzer test.

Is this accurate?   Anyone??

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Minister in the Ministry of Natonal Security arrested???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »
Ain't hear nothing yet
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
If this is true we would not hear much about it after today.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
Ok he take the test and pass in the police station after he refused to take the test first time. The acting police commisioner had to come and tell him to take the test. Why?

It's not clear how much time pass between first refusal and time he took it in the station.

Law states if you refuse he should of been charged on the spot. Penalty is a fine of 8000 or jail time. This did not happen.

Hinds call on him to resign.

This is what I understand from news
Youtube Channel

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
@PMKamla: Prime Minister: I have decided to advise the President...to revoke the appointment of Minister Colin Partap with immediate effect. #news

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »
@PMKamla: Prime Minister: I have decided to advise the President...to revoke the appointment of Minister Colin Partap with immediate effect. #news

WOW

edit: And good riddance
Youtube Channel

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/MINISTER_HELD-167505895.html

MINISTER HELD
...takes breathalyser test over an hour later

By Renuka Singh

Minister in the Ministry of National Security Collin Partap was yesterday detained for not taking a breathalyser test. Police attached to the Belmont Police Station yesterday confirmed that just after 5 a.m., Partap was initially stopped by officers for activating a police-issued blue swivel light and for turning on an emergency siren in the vehicle.

Police sources say officers had noticed him with a bottle of alcohol in his hand before he got into the driver's seat and subsequently stopped him at the corner of Keate and Frederick Streets, Port of Spain, where he was asked to take a breathalyser test.

Police say Partap refused and was detained and taken, just after 6 a.m., to the Belmont Police Station, where he made contact with his lawyer and made another call. At this point, they say, Partap was still adamant that the test not be administered.

Police officers say they were then surprised to see acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams arrive at the station within the hour, but it was only then that Partap submitted to the test. As a consequence, the test was taken more than an hour after he was detained. Partap was subsequently found to be within the legal limit.

Williams, in a telephone interview yesterday, confirmed he "stepped in to take charge of the situation involving Minister Partap".

"It was imperative for me to assume direct leadership, and the matter was addressed. I am preparing an official report for the Minister of National Security on the matter," he said.

When asked about the police lights and siren on the Government-issued vehicle, licensed PCM 1016, Williams said the officers did not tell him anything about that. Williams said all non-emergency service vehicles can only be granted those amenities through the Commissioner of Transport, Reuben Cato.

"Lights on a vehicle have to be authorised, but there are restrictions for it and more restrictions for the siren, but again, I have not been informed of that in this case," he said.

In response to questions, National Security Minister Jack Warner issued a press statement, saying that at approximately 6 a.m. yesterday, he received a call from the acting Commissioner of Police, informing him that Partap was at the Belmont Police Station, where he was being asked to take a breathalyser test.

"I informed the DCP that I was in church and would call after my morning service had ended. I did so at about 7 a.m. and was advised that breathalyser tests were conducted on Minister Partap and the results showed he was within the legal limit and that a report would be filed with me on the entire matter.

"The acting Commissioner confirmed the advice which had been given to me. I await his report before making any further comment on the matter. I thank the acting Commissioner. I await his report before making any further comment on the matter," he said.

According to the amendment of the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act, under Section 70 (B), it states inter alia that where a constable has reasonable cause to suspect that a person driving or attempting to drive or in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place has alcohol in his breath or blood exceeding the prescribed limit, he may require him to provide a specimen of breath for a breath test at or near the place where the requirement is made. The law says where a person, without reasonable excuse, fails to provide a specimen of breath, he is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on conviction, to a fine of $8,000 or to imprisonment for three years.

The law states that any person who fails to undergo the test is liable to prosecution. It also states that two separate breath specimens be provided and "there must be an interval of not less than two minutes and not more than ten minutes between the provision of specimens".

Several attempts to reach Partap proved futile and while he did text to say he would return the calls, up to press time, he did not.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
Heard he with be fired

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:47:26 PM »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 05:11:32 AM »
PARTAP FIRED
...PM dismisses Minister after failing to take breathalyser test
By Renuka Singh

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar acted swiftly last night when she fired Collin Partap as Minister in the Ministry of National Security, rendering him a backbencher, the first and so far only one on the Government’s bench in the Parliament.

The Prime Minister’s decisive action came hours after Partap’s detention for not taking a breathalyser test.

A short statement from the Prime Minister's office was sent out last night, stating:
“I have decided to advise the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, His Excellency Prof George Maxwell Richards, to revoke the appointment of Minister Collin Partap with immediate effect.

“This decision was made subsequent to reports received from the Ministry of National Security and Mr Collin Partap.”

Police attached to the Belmont Police Station earlier yesterday confirmed that just after 5 a.m., Partap was initially stopped by officers for activating a police-issued blue swivel light and for turning on an emergency siren in the vehicle.

Police sources say officers had noticed him with a bottle of alcohol in his hand before he got into the driver’s seat and subsequently stopped him at the corner of Keate and Frederick Streets, Port of Spain, where he was asked to take a breathalyser test.

Police say Partap refused and was detained and taken, just after 6 a.m., to the Belmont Police Station, where he made contact with his lawyer and made another call. At this point, they say, Partap was still adamant that the test not be administered.

Police officers say they were then surprised to see acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams arrive at the station within the hour, but it was only then that Partap submitted to the test. As a consequence, the test was taken more than an hour after he was detained. Partap was subsequently found to be within the legal limit.

Williams, in a telephone interview yesterday, confirmed he “stepped in to take charge of the situation involving Minister Partap”.

“It was imperative for me to assume direct leadership, and the matter was addressed. I am preparing an official report for the Minister of National Security on the matter,” he said.

When asked about the police lights and siren on the Government-issued vehicle, licensed PCM 1016, Williams said the officers did not tell him anything about that. Williams said all non-emergency service vehicles can only be granted those amenities through the Commissioner of Transport, Reuben Cato.

“Lights on a vehicle have to be authorised, but there are restrictions for it and more restrictions for the siren, but again, I have not been informed of that in this case,” he said.

In response to questions, National Security Minister Jack Warner issued a press statement, saying that at approximately 6 a.m. yesterday, he received a call from the acting Commissioner of Police, informing him that Partap was at the Belmont Police Station, where he was being asked to take a breathalyser test.

“I informed the DCP that I was in church and would call after my morning service had ended. I did so at about 7 a.m. and was advised that breathalyser tests were conducted on Minister Partap and the results showed he was within the legal limit and that a report would be filed with me on the entire matter.

“The acting Commissioner confirmed the advice which had been given to me. I await his report before making any further comment on the matter. I thank the acting Commissioner. I await his report before making any further comment on the matter,” he said.

According to the amendment of the Motor Vehicles and Road Traffic Act, under Section 70 (B), it states inter alia that where a constable has reasonable cause to suspect that a person driving or attempting to drive or in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place has alcohol in his breath or blood exceeding the prescribed limit, he may require him to provide a specimen of breath for a breath test at or near the place where the requirement is made. The law says where a person, without reasonable excuse, fails to provide a specimen of breath, he is guilty of an offence and shall be liable, on conviction, to a fine of $8,000 or to imprisonment for three years.

The law states that any person who fails to undergo the test is liable to prosecution. It also states that two separate breath specimens be provided and “there must be an interval of not less than two minutes and not more than ten minutes between the provision of specimens”.
Several attempts to reach Partap proved futile and while he did text to say he would return the calls, up to press time, he did not.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
Oh and well done to the PM for acting this quick!
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »

Oh yes.  She finally found her balls.  To fire Colin Partap.  An expendable.   :applause: :applause: ::) ::)

If she really wants to impress that she's serious about good governance she would fire that other guy in the same Ministry.  Then the AG, Deviant Maharaj, Ganga Singh, Emanuel George, herself.  In fact, they should all just fire themselves!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 05:48:29 AM »
hmmm... could be why her cabinet is so big. Use the ministers in the ministry as canon fodder.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:14 AM »

:applause: :applause: :applause: dey learn from d nizam fiasco............dey goh find some little high payin corner to hide him though...normel normel
I pity the fool....

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »
Fire jack
Youtube Channel

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hinds: Why wasn't he charged?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 06:54:12 AM »
Hinds: Why wasn't he charged?
By Renuka Singh (T&T Express)

Opposition Senator Fitzgerald Hinds yesterday said the People's National Movement (PNM) was calling for the immediate resignation of Minister in the Minister of National Security Collin Partap following his run-in with the law early yesterday morning.

Partap was yesterday taken to the Belmont Police Station after refusing to take a breathalyser test. Even after being taken to the station, Partap allegedly refused the test, only submitting to it after speaking with his lawyer and acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams.

"He refused to take the test. That in itself is an offence," Hinds said.
Hinds said according to the law, failure to submit to a breathalyser administered by the police was a chargeable offence.

"We would also like to know the [acting] Commissioner of Police's role in all of this, and demand he explain why he was there," he said.

He said Williams's presence at Partap's side continued to bring the independence of his office into question. "I have several other questions. Was the Minister authorised to drive that Government vehicle? Where is the driver that he is given an allowance for? Does the insurance for a Government vehicle cover the Minister?" he asked.

Hinds also did his own investigations and said the vehicle Partap was driving should not have had the police siren or emergency lights on it, and then questioned the legality of those amenities on a non-emergency vehicle.

"It carries the blue swivel lights. Is a civilian authorised to drive a vehicle with that light? It is supposed to be used only in the context of emergencies," he said.

Hinds said he understood it was the use of those amenities that attracted the attention of the police, who then questioned the Minister's sobriety.

"Why at this point [were] no charges laid against this Government Minister? That is what I would like to know," he said.

"Is it one law for them, another for us?" he asked.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »

Them fellas should not be using the vehicle for limin' it supposed to be for "official" duties only.
Maybe he make a speech on behalf of government at Zen

He walk out with ah bottle of alcohol....... beer, JW Blue.... Puncheon Rum.. c'mon reporter.

He could not have been that drunk if he had the presence of mind to delay the test long enough for him to test below the limit. (Smart Guy)

As for charging him. No peewat police doing dat. Min of Nat Security, lawyer, Jack fren.
The lil police woulda be thinking that he ent too sure about the law to allow the man to speak to his lawyer and look the Commish coming , let the Commish charge him.
Ah want de woman on de bass

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »

Them fellas should not be using the vehicle for limin' it supposed to be for "official" duties only.
Maybe he make a speech on behalf of government at Zen

He walk out with ah bottle of alcohol....... beer, JW Blue.... Puncheon Rum.. c'mon reporter.

He could not have been that drunk if he had the presence of mind to delay the test long enough for him to test below the limit. (Smart Guy)

As for charging him. No peewat police doing dat. Min of Nat Security, lawyer, Jack fren.
The lil police woulda be thinking that he ent too sure about the law to allow the man to speak to his lawyer and look the Commish coming , let the Commish charge him.

Most probably the Acting CoP let him walk out sans charges.  Drunk?  Define drunk, he can be legally over the limit and still have his faculties, bedsides he is a friggin lawyer!    Real question is why the police allowed him to drive his own car to the police station AFTER they suspected him of being over the limit.  I mean he must have been impaired or real narcissistic to walk out holding ANY type of liquor.

truetrini

Partap blowing
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
sentence him to hang then everyone go be happy.. ..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
y

war

yeah. hang he modder kant weh
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »

war

war, what if Colin was not stopped by the police and went on to hit someone with the car or  got in an accident with another vehicle (God Forbid) injuring passengers, including himself. This is not a joking matter. What if was one of your family was involved, that would not be funny.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »
I was hearing yesterday he is a country buckie gladman ,the person said it was jus a matter of time for him ,he is the sacrificial lamb of the peepee .

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »

war

war, what if Colin was not stopped by the police and went on to hit someone with the car or  got in an accident with another vehicle (God Forbid) injuring passengers, including himself. This is not a joking matter. What if was one of your family was involved, that would not be funny.
deeks I eh thing it funny breds.. I jes saying They did what they had to do .. the fired the man yet still pppl bawling for blood.. If a man get sober in one hour then he was never drunk... Only in Trinidad I does hear man get sober in an hour. I drunking for years now and I never get sober in an hour,  I does get drunk innah hour sometimes but not sober. I believe of the man had tek the test he  could have pass it .. He get fired for not taking the test dais it... But as I say you can't get sober in an Hour.. no way ...
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 09:08:01 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Dana__Partap_can_still_be_charged-167785875.html

Dana: Partap can still be charged
'Cops have up to six months'
By Renuka Singh

Story Created: Aug 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM ECT

Story Updated: Aug 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM ECT

Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal said yesterday that the police have another six months in which to lay charges against former minister in the ministry of national security, Collin Partap, for failing to take the initial breathalyser test.

"It is a summary offence so they do have six months to charge him," she said in a telephone interview.

Seetahal said even though Partap was allowed to leave the Belmont Police Station without being charged on Sunday morning, the general position left him open to be charged until early next year.

Partap was stopped by police just after 5 a.m. after leaving the Zen nightclub on Keate Street, Port of Spain.

Officers noticed blue swivel lights and a siren on the vehicle and, upon stopping Partap, they asked that he take the breathalyser test. Partap refused, which is in breach of the legislation.

Police then said it was close to 7 a.m, two hours after he was initially stopped, before the test was administered. Partap was then found to be within the legal limit.

A medical expert yesterday weighed in on that two-hour delay.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the doctor said within two hours, a healthy individual who possessed the liver of a social drinker should be able to metabolise enough alcohol to bring the measurement down by 20 to 30 microgrammes. The local legal alcohol limit stands at 35 mircrogrammes.

The doctor said if the test was found to be mere points under the legal limit after two hours of metabolising alcohol, chances remained that the drinker would have been several points over that limit when they were first stopped.

Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard yesterday said he was unable to comment on the issue, as he may one day preside over the case.

In a telephone interview with the Express, Gaspard said in most cases involving public officials, police seek out his assistance before pressing charges.

"So far, the police have not approached me," he said.

Asked to comment on the issue, Gaspard said: "I have not seen the evidence. I have seen the paper, but that is not evidence, so I have no comment to make on it especially in light of the fact that the police may, may I stress, eventually approach me, so I do not want to say anything that might amount to a prejudgment." See Page 8

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
'I'M NO DRUNK'
By COREY CONNELLY Wednesday, September 5 2012
Newsday

Saying he did not regret Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s decision to fire him “one iota,” former Minister in the Ministry of National Security Collin Partap yesterday made it clear that he was “not a drunk,” nor did he refuse to take a breathalyser test after being asked to do so by police officers outside of the newly re-opened Zen nightclub in Port-of-Spain, more than two weeks ago.

Breaking his silence on the now infamous matter during a hastily-called news conference at his Cumuto/Manzanilla constituency office, in Guaico, Sangre Grande, yesterday, a confident Partap, 38, claimed he was verbally abused by the police officers who had initially asked him to stop the vehicle he was driving after they spotted blue swivel lights emanating from it, moments after he left the popular nightclub, at the corner of Keate and Frederick Streets, during the early hours of August 19.

Regarding the flashing lights on the vehicle, Partap yesterday explained, “I made some mistakes and I think that was done accidentally at that point in time. You don’t know if the lights are on or not. You can’t tell from the inside of the vehicle because it is on the grill. Maybe, I had put it on accidentally when I went to put on the AC (Air Condition Unit).”

After he was asked to pull the vehicle to the side of the street at about 5 am, Partap, son of former UNC minister Harry Partap (now Ambassador to South Africa), yesterday said the officers then asked him to submit to a breathalyser test which he agreed to.

He sought to clarify acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams’ role in the incident, particularly as it related to the administering of the breathalyser test.

“When I pulled over to the side of the road, I heard some utterances from the police officers and being a citizen, not only a minister at that time, it got me gravely concerned — concerned beyond belief of what I heard. That made me think, ‘What if I take the breathalyser, what would be the result? I wanted some body independent there. I think anyone of you would have felt that way,” he told reporters, in full view of constituents who crammed the small office at the corner of Guaico/Tamana Road and the Eastern Main Road, to lend support.

Partap, who has kept a low profile since the incident, was flanked by Cumuto/Manzanilla constituency officials as well as councillors and aldermen of the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation. Claiming he had fully complied with the requests of the police officers and at no time was told he was under arrest throughout the ordeal, Partap insisted they were verbally abusive in their approach.

Asked if he recalled specifically what the police officers had told him, Partap said he would paraphrase.

“Now remember I am a Minister of National Security of all other things and if you heard the utterances in the back (of the police vehicle), ‘We gonna get this one tonight’ - to that effect. What would you do?” he asked.

“I did not ask for the commissioner to come and bail me out. I asked for the commissioner to be an independent observer as to when the test was going to be administered.”

Partap, a lawyer by profession, also claimed he was also treated somewhat aggressively when he entered the police vehicle to get to Belmont Police Station.

“I went into the vehicle and sat right behind the driver. I was told ‘Get around. Move over.’ I moved over and I was whisked away into the police station. You would have sworn there was a fire of some sort. At the police station when we arrived, ‘Get out,’ I looked over.‘ Get out.’ I again complied. At no point did I not comply with the police request,” he claimed.

Minister of National Security Jack Warner, however, said in an almost immediate response to the incident that the police officers’ approach to Partap was never confrontational.

In a statement last Monday, Warner chastised Partap for telephoning Williams and said the former minister’s request was unfounded.

“The Ministry of National Security conducted its own investigations which reveal that there was no evidence of any confrontational situation between the then Minister Partap and any police officer and as such the then minister’s request for the presence of the acting Commissioner of Police was deemed injudicious, unnecessary and inappropriate,” Warner had said in an e-mailed press release.

“A report on the circumstances was submitted for consideration of the Honourable Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. Following discussions with the then Minister Partap, the Prime Minister took the decision to advise the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, His Excellency, Professor George Maxwell Richards to revoke the appointment of Minister Partap with immediate effect.”

Partap yesterday declined comment on Warner’s statements. Contrary to media reports, Partap, giving his version of the events, said he first called his lawyer (whom he did not name) when he was asked to submit to a breathalyser test at the Belmont Police Station.

He said, “I first called my lawyer and he didn’t answer the phone. I then tried the deputy commissioner and he didn’t answer. I tried the commissioner (Stephen Williams) and on the second time he answered.”

Partap repeated he never wanted the commissioner to grant him any favours.

“But, I just wanted him to be an independent observer as to what was going to take place — an independent observer.”

When Williams arrived at the police station, Partap said, the top cop immediately advised him of his options.

“I went into the station. I was asked to do the breathalyser. The commissioner arrived a few minutes later. And, I must say the commissioner acted professionally. He came, he told me of my options which I already knew — either to take it (breathalyser) or take the charge. I said, ‘Commissioner I will take the breathalyser. I just want you here to witness.’”

Partap, who maintained that his decision to contact Williams was not an abuse of his power as a minister, claimed the test showed he was under the limit.

“There is a study that shows that the alcohol decay rate in someone’s system is .01 micro grammes per hour. My reading, I was told, was .28 (micro grammes), which means even if I had been there for two hours, I would have been below the level, which is .35,” he claimed.

“At no point in time was I drunk and I want to dispel the allegations that are being levelled against me that I was drunk. I was drunk at no point in time — no point in time that night and no point in time after.”

Describing the incident as “unfortunate,” the MP said it was a source of great “heartache to myself and my family.”

Partap, who also dispelled claims that he had entered the vehicle with a bottle of alcohol, said he was particularly peeved by the fact that photographs of him taking the breathalyser test and talking to persons on his cellular phone were taken at the police station and posted on social networking sites. Insisting the photographs were taken by police officers since there were no civilians in the police station at the time he was there, Partap said he intends to write the relevant authorities to investigate the matter.

He complained, “There were pictures circulating of me in the police station — two pictures — one of me taking the breathalyser and me sitting there on the phone. No one knows who I was calling or which call I received but everyone is quick to make judgement — Oh, he is calling for help....”

Partap added, “I have been the butt of many jokes over the last week — drunk minister.

“Those pictures were taken by police officers. I have no doubt about that. There was no civilian in the police station when I arrived and I want to call upon the relevant authorities and I will be writing to them to investigate that matter because a normal citizen should not have to go through that. When you are taking a breathalyser you should not be on TV or the newspaper. This has gone viral. This has gone to many countries in the world.”PARTAP from Page 3A

Asked what course of action he was likely to take in this regard, he told reporters, “You will know soon enough.”

Williams had told a news conference last Wednesday that the police was seeking advice on whether or not to charge the former minister.

“Complete investigations will be conducted in relation to that matter and the advice of the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) will be sought, in order to determine whether to prosecute the ex-minister for his refusal in the first instant to submit to a breath test,” Williams had told reporters during the weekly media briefing at Police Administration Building.

“As the Commissioner of Police, I am responsible for taking decisions as I see fit which are within the law and which are responsible. In my opinion the action taken by me was reasonable.”

DPP Roger Gaspard could not be reached for comment yesterday.

As he awaits an outcome to the investigation, which is now in the hands of the DPP, Partap said he had “no malice for anyone.”

“I just want to say my side of the story. Which is I am not a drunk. I did not refuse to take the breathalyser. That is what I want the general public to know and my constituents,” he said.

He also apologised profusely to his constituents, promising to re-double his efforts in bringing services and amenities to the region.

“Over the last week, it know it would have been hard for me. I know it would have been hard for you all. To my constituents, I know that it would have been hard for you all to know that your MP has been going through this in some shape form of fashion and I would like to apologise to you for any hardships that I have caused — profoundly apologise.

“And I want my constituents to know that now I have been freed of ministerial portfolio, I will be here to make sure that you have the representation and the delivery of services that you so sorely need and so sorely deserve,” Partap said, adding that he was elected to serve as an MP and not a minister.

He also thanked Persad-Bissessar for giving him the opportunity to serve as a minister over the past two years.

Asked if he felt the Prime Minister (PM) acted hastily in firing him, Partap said, “I never said that the PM acted out of haste and I don’t regret the PM’s decision one iota. The PM had to make a decision that affects her Government. What I have stated is what happened.

“I am not going to comment on the Prime Minister’s decision. She made the decision on the facts that were available to her at the time. My opinion is that the PM did what she had to do,” he added. Partap was first appointed Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister when the People’s Partnership won the May 24, 2010, general election. During the PM’s June 2011 Cabinet reshuffle, he was shifted to the National Security Ministry as a junior minister. Partap’s removal as a minister has now made him a backbencher — the first and only on the Government’s benches in the Parliament.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
“But, I just wanted him (Stephen Williams) to be an independent observer as to what was going to take place — an independent observer.”

Nope, Partap did nothing wrong. No abuse of power. In fact, if I understand Partap, who was at the time Minister in the Ministry of National Security, correctly, you can't trust the police:-  ‘What if I take the breathalyser, what would be the result? I wanted some body independent there. I think anyone of you would have felt that way,”

I thinks it's only fair that we all have the same non abuse of power that Partap had, and therefore we should all be provided with the CoP's home number so he can be a witness on our behalf too. 

If a Minister in the Ministry of National Security doesn't trust the police, how the hell are we supposed to? Shocking.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:35 AM »
This.

If a Minister in the Ministry of National Security doesn't trust the police, how the hell are we supposed to? Shocking.

1]; } ?>