April 23, 2024, 02:20:37 AM

Author Topic: Miss T&T Universe & Miss World Thread  (Read 102515 times)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: First Indian-American crowned Miss America
« Reply #420 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
I saw that she did a traditional indian dance in full indian wear for the costume or talent segment or whatever it was and it had me thinking. Is that really American culture? I feels so distant though. I could have sworn I was watching a contestant from India. How can you be representing a country as diverse as America and come with such as ethnocentric display? I understand that you are proud of your heritage and such but you representing everyone now, not just "your" people. I think she could have come with something more mainstream and unifying.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 17, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
I saw that she did a traditional indian dance in full indian wear for the costume or talent segment or whatever it was and it had me thinking. Is that really American culture? I feels so distant though. I could have sworn I was watching a contestant from India. How can you be representing a country as diverse as America and come with such as ethnocentric display? I understand that you are proud of your heritage and such but you representing everyone now, not just "your" people. I think she could have come with something more mainstream and unifying.

it was not miss universe nor miss world, so she was not representing the us at this point. that was her talent. now if she went on an international stage and start with that, she looking for pressah
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
Now allyuh what Black women does have to deal with or used to deal with..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:42:12 PM by Deeks »

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 17, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
Now allyuh what Black women does have to deal with or used to deal with..

how about women in general? but yea, I see your point.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 17, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »
it was not miss universe nor miss world, so she was not representing the us at this point. that was her talent. now if she went on an international stage and start with that, she looking for pressah

You have time.  Next he go come argue it doesn't represent New York... it too ethnocentric  ::)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
Is Miss America Too Dark-Skinned To Ever Be Crowned Miss India?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/is-miss-america-too-dark-skinned-to-ever-be-crowned-miss-ind
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »
de bess part of dis story is all dem redneck wanted miss kansas - de one with de tattoo - to win. she blond, done military service and ah sure that tattoo have some bible verse.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:47 AM »
Allyuh see my girl come en 4th. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 19, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »

in trute, I forget you was promoting for that lady a few months ago

Whey yuh do for she again,, design the evening gown? ah forget
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 19, 2013, 06:24:08 AM »
Hmmm what Preacher do for she? Hehe
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »

in trute, I forget you was promoting for that lady a few months ago

Whey yuh do for she again,, design the evening gown? ah forget
:rotfl:  Either that or he braid she hair

Yea Preacher I noticed people on twitter was raving about Miss MN, she didn't look bad at all

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2013, 10:35:15 PM »
 :rotfl:  Allyuh is kicks yes.  I produced her video.  Interesting enough the same kind of girl won the runner up.   You never know with these competitions. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Miss UNiverse
« Reply #432 on: November 02, 2017, 04:46:17 AM »
Miss Universe T&T stripped.
By Geisha Kowlessar (Guardian).

This country’s Miss Universe T&T pageant first runner-up Martrecia Alleyne is now being considered to replace stripped delegate Yvonne Clarke.

The local franchise holder for the pageant, Jenny Douglas, was weighing this option yesterday after she stripped Clarke of her title over an alleged breach of contract nine days before she was due to leave for the international event in Las Vegas.

Less than two weeks after winning the title, Clarke was told via email from Douglas that she would no longer be able to represent the country.

But during a press conference at the St James studio of soca artiste Fay Ann Lyons yesterday, Clarke demanded an apology from Douglas, saying she did nothing wrong in seeking sponsorship on her own, including from Lyons. She claimed she was left with no choice after all she received from Douglas was an “old black dress” and an admittance they did not have “all the resources” to get her to the competition.

“I asked her if there was anything else the franchise could give me beside a dress and she (Douglas) said no. I did not do anything without the authorisation of the franchise holder. She even sent me letterhead from the Miss Universe TT which to this day I did not use,” Clarke maintained at the press conference.

She said Douglas told her she could seek sponsorship from anyone locally “except from the Government.” She said from day one of the local pageant she felt something was wrong, as there were several “hiccups” along the way. This, she said, prompted her to document all her conversations with Douglas, including taping telephone conversations.

Saying she was forced to dip into her personal finances to prepare herself, Clarke said through a friend she was told to approach Lyons for help.

Lyons, Clarke said, had been instrumental in getting her a plane ticket, professional hair and make-up artists and even organising several professional photo shoots.

As she went through hardship getting sponsorship, Clarke, who broke down in tears at some points, said she also offered advice to Douglas regarding how to deal with issues on social media.

“I said to Jenny digital media management is important because she was getting into feuds with citizens on social media about the way in which the franchise was being run. I told her to avoid social media conflict because it not only brings the Miss Universe pageant into disrepute but it also brings me, as a delegate, into disrepute,” Clarke said.

“The reason why I am so hurt by this was because when T&T was bashing her and saying she was unprofessional I was the one who supported her.”

She also accused Douglas of deliberately withholding her contract after she signed it some months ago.

Douglas also hinted that Clarke may not have had a US visa but yesterday Clarke said she did.

Lyons, who also spoke, said she too wanted an apology from Douglas, as all she did was help a “beautiful and talented young lady” realise her dream. She described the incident as unfortunate, saying too many times “we as a people” refuse to support each other.

“I was very disappointed because some people had some ridiculous comments to make,” Lyons said.

In a statement yesterday, Douglas said, “The Miss Universe T&T committee has voted unanimously to disqualify Miss Yvonne Clarke from representing Trinidad and Tobago in this year’s Miss Universe 2017 Pageant competition.

“We are saddened by this turn of events, however, we have to maintain our strict contractual agreements. We will, however, make sure another suitable representative will go and who will abide by the Miss Universe T&T rules and regulations under their contractual agreement.”

In an interview with Guardian Media, Douglas also accused Clarke of making statements which “misrepresented” the franchise and of “being on television and begging for money.”

Yvonne Clarke, who was disqualified from representing T&T at the Miss Universe 2017 Pageant, responds to questions from the media during yesterday’s press conference. At left is soca artist Fay-Ann Lyons. PICTURE SHIRLEY BAHADUR

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Miss T&T Universe & Miss World Thread
« Reply #433 on: November 02, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
So what is the breach of contract here? The fact the she got her own sponsorship?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 02, 2017, 11:05:22 PM »
So what is the breach of contract here? The fact the she got her own sponsorship?

Like you, I still confused. I trying to figure out what it is she said or done that deserved a termination of her post.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 19, 2022, 05:04:12 AM »
Leave Jeanine Brandt alone.

Worried about the image of T&T? There are several other matters of higher priority to be engaged ... without being hypersensitive to truths and laundry washed in public.

1]; } ?>