March 28, 2024, 01:18:56 PM

Author Topic: 2012 Boys & Girls SSFL & InterCol Thread.  (Read 57744 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2012 Boys & Girls SSFL & InterCol Thread.
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:51 AM »
Westmooring Tigers get ready to roam.
T&T Guardian Reports.

St Anthony’s College knows what it takes to be a champion. In fact the Westmoorings “Tigers” are quite aware of how to capture multiple titles in a season and when the BGTT Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) kicks off next Friday (September 7), the challenge will be to keep of hold of them.

With a little over a week to go before the start of zonal action, the reigning North Zone, Big Five, North Zone Intercol and national Intercol champion as well as teams in each of the five SSFL zones are fine-tuning their final preparations. “Teams will be better prepared than last year.

I expect it to be more competitive. Everybody has been getting ready for the big day and I doubt you’ll see St Anthony’s dominating like they did last season,” said SSFL president Ewing Davis.

St Anthony’s, who played undefeated in 19 matches last season, will face keen competition from last year’s North Zone runner-up East Mucurapo, Fatima College, Queen’s Royal College (QRC), St Mary’s College, and Trinity College and newly promoted Diego Martin North.

It will be the first time the Diego Martin team will be competing in the Championship Division.

“Keep an eye on Diego Martin. When they were the Junior Secondary, a lot of their players progressed to the championships division schools, but now they can secure their talent for themselves and we will see a very competitive unit,” said Davis.

He suggested that competition in the other zones will be at a high level with national Intercol runner-up Arima North, looking to retain its East Intercol crowns which it won the past two years, and regain hold of the zone’s league title, which it last won  in 2003.

Last season, the “Dial Dynamos” placed third behind winner El Dorado East and second-placed St Augustine. Also challenging the top East finishers of last season will be San Juan North, Toco Secondary, Trinity East and debutante El Dorado West.

Carapichaima was another finalist last season that went under to the powerful St Anthony’s unit, losing to them in the Big Five final (1-0).

The Central Zone champion will meet Presentation College (Chaguanas), Gasparillo, Couva West, Tabaquite and newest addition Chaguanas North.

Down in South, Shiva Boys will look to defend its zonal title against Pleasantville, Naparima College, Presentation College, Moruga, St Benedict’s and Princes Town while Tobago’s defending champion, Scarborough, will seek to keep Mason Hall, Speyside, Signal Hill and Roxborough at bay.

Double-headers are planned for each of the zones on opening day, starting at 3 pm.

Opening Day matches (September 7)

North:
East Mucurapo vs Fatima College, 3 pm
St Anthony’s vs QRC, 5 pm, Hasely Crawford Stadium

South:
Shiva Boys vs Pleasantville, 3 pm
Naparima vs Presentation, 5 pm, Manny Ramjohn Stadium.

Tobago:
Mason hall Speyside, 3 pm
Scarborough vs Signal Hill, 5 pm, Dwight Yorke Stadium.

Central:
Couva West vs Gasparillo, 3 pm
Carapichaima East vs Tabaquite, 5 pm, Ato Boldon Stadium.

East:
St Augustine vs Arima North, 3 pm
El Dorado east vs San juan North, 5 pm, Larry Gomes Stadium.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:48:09 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 SSFL & InterCol Thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »
So, the opening games of Intercol are the same day as the opening games of the Pro League....and using some of the same stadia. So what happens if the Pro League home teams want to empty the stadiums at 5pm, so that the only spectators are paying spectators?

However, if it was up to me, I'd rather the Intercol kicked off at 4pm. That way, a lot of the youths may stay in the stadium for the Pro League game and only play one Pro League game at 7pm.

I know people may say that youths should not be out alone at 9pm, but when I grew up in England, our school discos ended at 10pm and we walked home. Things asre diffferent in T&T, I know, but if kids stick together or parents could arrange to collect 3 or 4 of them, there shouldn't be a problem.

I guess many people will argue with that, and there may be some good arguments against this, but it seems a shame that after 50 years of Independence, children have far less freedom than in 1962.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »
Not sure if its possible, but why not kill three birds with one stone seeing that InterCol is the biggest league in T&T ?

Have double/tripple headers with Pro League games. Put some of the best SSFL, WoLF and Pro League teams to play on the same day ?

It dont have to be all the teams/games, but just the main ones ?

EG

Fridays
4pm, Naparima vs Presentation, Manny Ramjohn Stadium
6pm, St Ann's Rangers vs Caledonia AIA, Manny Ramjohn Stadium
8pm, T&TEC vs Defence Force, Manny Ramjohn Stadium

Saturdays
4pm, St Anthony's College vs St Augustine, Hasley Crawford Stadium
6pm, San Juan Jabloteh vs Central FC, Hasley Crawford Stadium

Sundays
3pm, Real Dimension vs Step By Step, Ato Boldon Stadium
5pm, Carapichaima vs Couva, Ato Boldon Stadium
7pm, W Connection vs Caledonia, Ato Boldon Stadium

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:00:51 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
Not sure if its possible, but why not kill three birds with one stone seeing that InterCol is the biggest league in T&T ?

Have double/tripple headers with Pro League games. Put some of the best SSFL, WoLF and Pro League teams to play on the same day ?

It dont have to be all the teams/games, but just the main ones ?

EG

Fridays
4pm, Naparima vs Presentation, Manny Ramjohn Stadium
6pm, St Ann's Rangers vs Caledonia AIA, Manny Ramjohn Stadium
8pm, T&TEC vs Defence Force, Manny Ramjohn Stadium

Saturdays
4pm, St Anthony's College vs St Augustine, Hasley Crawford Stadium
6pm, San Juan Jabloteh vs Central FC, Hasley Crawford Stadium

Sundays
3pm, Real Dimension vs Step By Step, Ato Boldon Stadium
5pm, Carapichaima vs Couva, Ato Boldon Stadium
7pm, W Connection vs Caledonia, Ato Boldon Stadium

Excellent idea....unfortunately, is ttff/pro league/ssfl we talkin' 'bout.......it will never happen under the current administrators.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:01:11 AM by Flex »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »
Who has 6 hours to go and watch football.
I think the biggest issue is the double headers that they run in TnT are not condusive to the time crunch people have nowadays.

People want to get in and out and on to the next thing.

I dont like the double and triple header thing.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I think the biggest issue is the double headers that they run in TnT are not condusive to the time crunch people have nowadays.

Yeah, yuh right, six hours is a long time and does take a lot of commitment....but you might could still get a large flow of people coming to watch one or two games.....and, admittedly, another concern as well would be ssfl players that are on some of the pro league's rosters. 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »

Yeah, yuh right, six hours is a long time and does take a lot of commitment....but you might could still get a large flow of people coming to watch one or two games.....and, admittedly, another concern as well would be ssfl players that are on some of the pro league's rosters. 

SSFL players are not allowed to play Pro, just reserve football...

Secondly, KND has a point, however, as is, it will still generate more audience, radio, TV, crowd etc that it currently stands....

Uniting the leagues will only improve it from an overall standpoint.

Taping into the SSFL could be a stepping stone to the Pro league.

Imaigne buying a SSFL season ticket and getting a Pro League game as a bonus ?

Money is already made upfront, wether they stay to see the game or not, money is already made. And eventually, fans will stay... the clubs just have to get them to get attach to their players, hype it up....

Guys, give me 6/8 months with T&T football, national or domestic and I will show you how much can be done.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:19:03 AM by Flex »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »

Secondly, KND has a point, however, as is, it will still generate more audience, radio, TV, crowd etc that it currently stands....

Money is already made upfront, wether they stay to see the game or not, money is already made. And eventually, fans will stay... the clubs just have to get them to get attach to their players, hype it up....

Guys, give me 6/8 months with T&T football, national or domestic and I will show you how much can be done.

:beermug: :beermug:

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »

I like the way you're thinking, but, with respect, you're thinking football not business!! At double headers, the majority of supporters arrive around 7.30. So the first game is always underattended. People aren't usually coming to watch a specific team, but rather, Pro League football. The same would happen to a lesser extent if there was an SSFL game at 4pm. Some people would arrive at, say 5.30.

The main benefit is concessions. Even if people only stay for two hours, you can maybe get them to spend $100. The kids may spend $20. Have free entry before 5pm to get people in and matchday lotteries which are drawn at half time of the 2nd game to keep people there.

DJ playing tunes at half time and between games. Maybe a penalty shootout in between matches.

Gradually the youngsters would want to stay longer as they get into Pro League football and adults may come earlier as they appreciate SSFL.

Maybe, and this is really thinking outside of the box, a father could meert his son at the stadium after the SSFL game and they could watch a Pro League match together?

You can't keep people in there for 6 hours, but like the great man almost said, "yuh cyan keep all de fans all de time, but yuh can keep all  de fans some of de time!!"   (I really must learn to type with a Trini accent!! - apologies)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Tigers prepare for tough season.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:01:13 AM »
‘Tigers’ prepared for tough season
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

A new look St Anthony’s College will seek to defend its Secondary Schools Football League, League, Big5, and InterCol titles, when the 2011 “invincibles” kick off its season against Queen’s Royal College, in the second match of the opening round North Zone double-header, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, from 5 pm today.

The mouth-watering encounter will follow the league-opener between last season’s North Zone runner-up East Mucurapo and Fatima College, which is set to start at 3 pm.

Both St Mary’s College and newly-promoted Diego Martin North Secondary will kick off their season, tomorrow at St Mary’s Ground, Serpentine Road, at 3.45pm, while the zone’s other team, Trinity College is on a bye. All four other divisions, East, Central, South and Tobago, will also open today with two matches in each zone. The champion team, however, has a new challenge this season.

According to St Anthony’s College long-standing coach Nigel Grosvenor, the team has entered a new cycle with the departure of 13 key members of last year’s successful team, which won all of its 19 league and InterCol matches, and will now have to integrate a younger team into the “Tigers” system. All but three regular starters have left, including last year’s captain Dwight Ceballo.

Ceballo, a national U-20 defender now plies his trade in the United States, after being awarded a scholarship to the University of Connecticut. Grosvenor, who also coaches an in-form Westside Superstarz in the blink/bmobile National Super League admitted that the new season will come with its challenges with the remodelling of the team’s roster.

“Quite a number of our Under-16 team, which won their division last season will come into the senior team. “We’ll also have the services of Xavier Rajpaul (a national U-20 midfielder), who was turned down from returning to Fatima College last season.

He’s now in form six and will be a huge boost.” “The younger guys will, however, have the guidance of some of the older and more experienced guys who have remained, including Jamali Garcia, Jonathan Cruickshank, Savion Kirton and Adrian Millette.”

Kirton, Millette and Garcia were instrumental in the team’s successes last season, which ended fittingly with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Arima North Secondary.

Should the team continue its successes of last season, it will likely meet some of the most promising, up-and-coming Colleges and Secondary Schools from around the country in the National Coca-Cola InterCol competition, which will get rolling in late November.

Shiva Boys Secondary, which edged out Presentation College San Fernando for the South Zone title last year will open its league account versus the third-placed finisher Pleasantville Secondary, at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella, from 3 pm.

The East Zone competition will begin with a clash between St Augustine Secondary versus InterCol finalist Arima North at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima, from 3 pm, followed by the league champions, El Dorado East Secondary’s opener against San Juan North Secondary.

In Tobago, league champions Scarborough Secondary takes on runner-up Signal Hill, at Dwight Yorke Stadium, from 5 pm. Action in Central will see Couva West taking on Gasparillo Secondary, at Guaracara Park, from 3 pm, while Carapichaima East challenges Tabaquite, in Carapichaima, at 4 pm.

All zonal matches are expected to conclude on October 24, five days before the BGTT Big5 quarterfinals kicks off. The Big5 final is scheduled for November 11, four days after the InterCol zonal quarterfinals begin.

Fixtures [Today]

North Zone
• East Mucurapo v Fatima College, Hasely Crawford Stadium - 3 pm
• St Anthony’s College v QRC, Hasely Crawford Stadium - 5 pm

East Zone
• St Augustine Sec v Arima North Sec, Larry Gomes Stadium- 3 pm
• El Dorado East Sec v San Juan North Sec, Larry Gomes Stadium - 5 pm

Central
• Couva West Sec v Gasparillo Sec, Guaracara Park - 3 pm
• Carapichaima East v Tabaquite, Carapichaima - 4 pm

South

• Shiva Boys v Pleasantville, Manny Ramjohn Stadium - 3 pm
• Naparima College v Presentation College, Manny Ramjohn Stadium - 5 pm

Tobago
• Mason Hall v Speyside, Dwight Yorke Stadium - 3 pm
• Scarborough Sec v Signal Hill, Dwight Yorke Stadium - 5 pm
• Roxborough - Bye

Tomorrow

North Zone
• St Mary’s College v Diego Martin North Secondary, St Mary’s Ground - 3:45pm
• Trinity College - Bye

Central
• Presentation College (Chag) v Chaguanas North Secondary, Presentation College Ground - 3:45 pm.

East
• El Dorado West v Trincity East, El Dorado - 3:45 pm
Toco West - Bye

South
•Moruga v St Benedict’s College, Moruga - 3:45 pm
• Princes Town - Bye.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:39:23 AM by Flex »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Tigers prepare for tough season.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 02:01:50 AM »
Fatima continues to not "play the game."

It might end up hurting we.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:47:38 AM »
SSFL kicks off today in 4 zones
By Donstan Bonn & Kern De Freitas (Express).

It's that time of the year again, when the schoolboys lace up their boots and step out on the field to challenge for BG T&T Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) supremacy across the five Zones--North, South, East, Central, and Tobago.

St Anthony's College recorded a perfect season last year, winning all their matches as they swept both the BG T&T "Big Five" and Coca Cola InterCol titles, as well as the North League and InterCol titles.

But as is usual with schools football, much can change in a year, and it leaves, in every Zone but Central, much difficulty in making predictions as to who will triumph this year.

Today, action will begin with double headers in each of the Trinidad Zones, while the start of the Tobago Zone is delayed until September 15.

NORTH ZONE

Most North teams have stated that they are rebuilding. St Anthony's have lost nine starters, said coach Nigel Grosvenor. Yet the "Tigers" have retained some talent, with striker Adrian Millette and clever winger Kiel Pierre, along with some defensive support.

East Mucurapo Secondary have retained their core squad from last year and should prove dangerous under Selris Figaro and Ian Clauzel, themselves former skillful T&T attackers. Forward Aaqil Campbell will lead the team in attack and with captain's armband, but their defensive end may prove crucial.

Debutants Diego Martin North Secondary are hoping to make a splash in the new season, but Fatima College and Queen's Royal College (QRC) will also make the Zone fascinating. Both teams have lost players to foreign scholarships, and QRC will blood a new defence. But T&T under 17 captain Brendon Creed will stand in Fatima's midfield, while for QRC, striker Akiel Morris and Makesi Lewis will add some attacking power.

St Mary's College have lost their goalkeeper, but retained captain Kyle Beggs in defence and Akhil Noel up front. Trinity College struggled last year, and leave questions to be answered with a mostly new team.

EAST ZONE

If history and optimism levels are anything to go by, the winners of the East Zone will come from this group—defending champions El Dorado East Secondary, 2010 winners St Augustine Secondary and feisty Arima North Secondary.

San Juan Secondary, according to coach Keith Jeffrey, have lost the bulk of last year's squad, and have faced big obstacles in getting players together to prepare for this season. They are hoping to take full advantage of the draw to get much needed practice in.

Trinity College East and Toco Secondary have struggled in past years to consistently compete with the bigger names, while newcomers El Dorado West Secondary add an unknown dimension to the East. But their rivalry with their eastern neighbours, the "Blue Thunder", should prove interesting.

St Augustine are banking on the T&T Under-17 trio of wingers Akeem Garcia and Aikim Andrew, and Shannon Gabriel at right back, and have had a good pre-season run. "El Do" East have a "sturdy" squad, according to veteran coach Trevor Spicer. They have big losses from last year, but have kept dangerous striker Shaquille Bertrand, captain Keylon Hernandez in midfield and goalkeeper Akeem Lucas.

And Arima are quietly confident of their chances with a young team built around talented playmaker Marcus Gomez, who led them to last year's InterCol final. But they will have to prove coach Peter Lewis right that they're "the best team we've had in years".

CENTRAL ZONE

Carapichaima East Secondary are expected to dominate Central once again. Their squad has been steady over the past few years, meaning they may have a number of new faces this year. But it is not likely to change their control of the Zone, with teams like Presentation College Chaguanas, Gasparillo Secondary and Couva West Secondary all reporting big losses to their starting squads.

It shows in that none of these teams have listed winning the zone among their ambitions this year. Gasparillo coach Everol Joseph is hoping his team can play well enough to stay up in the Zone, while Curtis James (Presentation) wants a top-three position, and Couva's Keith Kirton is hoping to build a team with a view to 2013.

SOUTH ZONE

Shiva Boys Hindu College wrested the South Zone from the clutches of perennial winners and arch-rivals Naparima College and Presentation College San Fernando, under coach Dexter Francis of "Strike Squad" fame, and will be hoping to repeat. They have lost a couple of key players, but have T&T Under-20 goalie Kwesi Weston, as well as striker Nathaniel Garcia at their service.

Naparima, always South Zone contenders, will this year have Brazil-born, former W Connection midfielder Jose Seabra as head coach. Seabra has replaced Leonson Lewis, and will be keen to bring the team success this year despite the loss of several accomplished players. Adan Noel is also in doubt as "Naps" captain, with T&T Under-20 duty looming.

"Pres" Sando are the third of the three expected to challenge for zonal honours, and again the losses have hit them. But Shaquille Henry, last year's leading goalscorer, will return. And their entire defence, including goalkeeper, is also intact.

The big three will contend with Dexter Cyrus' St Benedict's College, Pleasantville, Princes Town and returning Moruga Secondary.

St Benedict's, a.k.a. the "La Romaine Lions", are set to field a youthful team, including Yaseu Rougier, the nephew of former T&T player Anthony Rougier. The St Benedict's wagon fell apart last year, and manager Nolan Bernard feels there's no place for his team to go but up.

Moruga's mission is to gain experience, after losing some key players after the battle for the South Senior Division title.

"P'ville are hoping for teamwork over stardom, with a young team studded with a few experienced names.

And Princes Town, without an abundance of flair, are hoping their team will get better as the season progresses.

TOBAGO ZONE

Scarborough Secondary and Signal Hill Secondary have led the rush for Tobago Zone glory over the years, with Mason Hall joining in in recent times. Although little is known about 2011 Tobago winners Scarborough and their arch-rivals Signal Hill, Mason Hall are positive about their chances.

Mason Hall have a young squad, the core of which helped them win the Tobago Under-14 final a few years back.

The other schools in the zone are Roxborough Secondary and Speyside Secondary.

The Tobago teams will have to wait until next week to start their battle due to scheduling and venue issues.

Today's Fixtures

Central Zone

Couva West Sec vs Gasparillo Sec, Ato Boldon Stadium, 3 p.m.
Carapichaima East Sec vs Tabaquite Sec, Ato Boldon Stadium, 5 p.m.

East Zone

St Augustine Sec vs Arima North Sec, Larry Gomes Stadium, 3 p.m.
El Dorado East Sec vs San Juan North Sec, Larry Gomes Stadium 5 p.m.

North Zone

East Mucurapo Sec vs Fatima College, Hasely Crawford Stadium, 3 p.m.
St Anthony's College vs QRC, Hasely Crawford Stadium, 5 p.m.

South Zone

Shiva Boys vs Pleasantville Sec, Manny Ramjohn Stadium, 3 p.m.
Naparima College vs Presentation Sando, Manny Ramjohn Stadium, 5 p.m.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »
Mucu 1 x Fatima 0 after 30 mins.

Fatima d look like Chelsea d, 'reel reel shakey'.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 07:39:11 PM »
pres put 3 on our arch rivals naparima college

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 05:56:16 AM »
Fatima continues to not "play the game."

It might end up hurting we.

VB

So true...

Since Fatima's previous principal left, they have been in a football decline. Doesn't seem like the present principal is as interested in the sport. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe in student/athlete before athlete/student, but if a guy has the qualifications to get into form 6 why not take him back? Unless he was a terror.

Fatima needs to 'play the game'

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
St Anthony’s whip QRC in SSFL opener.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (Newsday).

Defending champions, St Anthony’s College had a successful start to their 2012 campaign as they roared to a 3-1 victory over Queen’s Royal College in the opening fixture of the BGTT/ FCB North Zone Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, yesterday.

Led by coach Nigel Grovesnor, the St Anthony’s squad were in to take no prisoners. The first-half was dominated by the “Tigers”, who passed the ball well. In as early as the third minute, St Anthony’s pressed for the opening goal but were denied by QRC’s goalkeeper (Clint Marcelle) and a well marshalled defence.

QRC also had some early opportunities but were denied by St Anthony’s goalkeeper Carlton Alfonso.

However, it took the defending champions just over 30 minutes to find the back of the net after an attempted shot from right-winger Kiel Pierre rebounded off the goal post and fell at the feet of Shaquile Long who made no mistake and blasted his right-footed shot into the roof of the QRC goal to send his team ahead (1-0).

Pierre also showed great athleticism in the first period and wowed the crowd with some of his sleek and skilful footwork. Before the end of first-half, both QRC and the defending champions missed several golden opportunities to increase the score-line, but all to no avail.

The second period was also riddled with many missed chances from both schools. Twenty minutes in, QRC forward Akil Morris found himself one-on-one with the St Anthony’s goalie but directed his shot toward him, wasting a golden effort. The “Tigers” continued to hunt in search of more goals as tiredness began to show on the faces of the QRC boys.

Fifteen minutes from full time, Pierre was finally rewarded for his persistence. The St Anthony’s player, on the right flank, received a defence-splitting pass, cut inside before unleashing a powerful shot to send St Anthony’s 2-0 up.

QRC’s Morris again went one-on-one with Alfonso, but once more failed to capitalise. Eight minutes from the final whistle, QRC’s Terrique Ransoms grabbed a lifeline to make it 2-1.

Their joy was short-lived as St Anthony’s forward Jonathon Cruickshank ended all QRC’s hopes with an impressive goal in final two minutes of time added on.

In the opening fixture, last year’s North Zone runners-up Mucurapo East Secondary made their presence felt with a comfortable 2-0 win over Fatima College at the same venue. Mucurapo got the ball rolling from as early as the 10th minute with a well-placed shot from captain Aaqil Campbell (1-0).

Just eight minutes later, forward Akeem Roach bagged another for the Mucurapo boys, as he slid his goal-bound effort just past the hands of Fatima’s goalkeeper John Barkley. Fatima failed to capitalise on their few chances as they started their league campaign with a defeat.

Today’s North Zone matches will see the defending champion take on Diego Martin North at home while Trinity College are on a ‘bye’.

Tigers, Shiva Boys begin defence with a bang.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Experience was the difference in attack between the two teams, as last season’s treble winner St Anthony’s College, opened its account in the BGTT Secondary Schools’ Football League (SSFL) North Zone, with a comfortable 3-1 win over Queen’s Royal College, yesterday.

Starting the season with a fresh batch of players, three of a handful who remained from last season’s successes were on target as the “Tigers” walked away with a deserved victory, in the second match of a double-header played at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

A close-range rebounded effort from Shaquille Long, in the first half along with well worked goals in the second session from from Kiel Pierre and Jonathan Cruikshank put St Anthony’s on top of the standings along with last season’s North Zone runner-up East Mucurapo, which defeated Fatima College 2-0, in the earlier encounter.

QRC pulled one goal back, which St Anthony’s led 2-0, through Tariq Nichols. In the opening match, East Mucurapo started off stronger despite playing on the counter-attack for large spells. Its strategy paid off with first half goals from the ever-dangerous attacker and captain Aaqil Campbell and from promising midfielder Akeem Roach.

Campbell finished from a close-range rebound, before Roach found the back of the net with a neat finish in the bottom right-hand corner, with a shot from outside the penalty box.

Fatima was arguably the better team in the second half, but a flurry of attempts was insufficient in seeing Fatima respond to the early blows. In the East Zone, 2011 InterCol finalist Arima North Secondary was held 1-1 by St Augustine Secondary, at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima.

Creative attacker Marcus Gomez, who is a new addition to the TT Pro League’s North East Stars, opened his account in the 20th minute, which took Arima into the half with a one-goal lead.

However, in the 73rd minute, his item was cancelled out by an effort from Gerard Maloney in the 73rd minute, as both teams went away with one point each.

The Zone’s second match also followed with a 1-1 stalemate between El Dorado West Secondary and San Juan North. El Dorado’s top forward Shaquille Bertrand scored in the 68th minute, just three minutes before Kwesi Elvin levelled for San Juan North.

Shiva Boys also started its defence of the South Zone league title strongly with a 3-0 victory over Pleasantville Secondary.

Attacking prodigy Nathaniel Garcia scored a goal in the 20th minute, before completing a hat-trick in the second half (48th, 76th). Presentation College defeated Naparima College by the same scoreline. Akil Pierre, J’van Pontiflet and Angel Williams scored the goals for “Pres”.

Opening day action in the Central Zone was postponed a day later as a result of the inclement showers.

The two matches scheduled for last evening, will now be played in a double header at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, today, beginning with a clash between Couva West Secondary and Gasparillo, from 3 pm. Zonal champions Carapichaima East Secondary will tackle Tabaquite Secondary in the second match, at 5 pm.

The other match will see Presentation College Chaguanas taking on Chaguanas North Secondary, at Presentation College Ground, at 3:45 pm.

Results

North

East Mucurapo 2 (Aaqil Campbell 6th, Akeem Roach 19th) v Fatima College 0

St Anthony’s College 3 (Shaquille Long, Kiel Pierre, Jonathan Cruickshank) v QRC 1 (Tariq Nichols)

South Zone

Shiva Boys 3 (Nathaniel Garcia 20th, 48th, 76th) v Pleasantville Sec 0

Presentation College S/do 3 (AKil Pierre 11th, J’van Pontiflet 52nd, Angel Williams 58th) v Naparima College 0

East Zone

St Augustine Secondary 1 (Gerard Maloney 73rd) v Arima North 1 (Marcus Gomez 20th)

El Dorado West 1 (Shaquille Bertrand 68th) v San Juan North 1 (Kwesi Elvin 71st)

Fixtures (Today)

North

St Mary’s College v Diego Martin North Sec, St Mary’s Ground- 3:45 pm

Central Zone

Couva West v Gasparillo, Ato Boldon Stadium- 3 pm
Carapichaima East v Tabaquite, Ato Boldon- 5 pm
Presentation College Chaguanas v Chaguanas North, Presentation- 3:45 pm

East Zone

El Dorado West v Trinity College East, El Dorado- 3:45 pm South Zone
Moruga v St Benedict’s College, Moruga- 3:45 pm

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:30:13 AM by Flex »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »
Benedict's crushed Moruga 8-1.

Offline kaiser

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
Just give St Anthony's the crown again what all yuh even waiting for?  ;D all them other teams afraid :devil:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
Couva West, ‘Caps’ get huge wins in Central.
By Andrew Gioannetti & Clayton Clarke (Guardian).

While Presentation College Chaguanas and Chaguanas North Secondary played out a stalemate, both Couva West and Carapichaima North Secondary (Caps) combined for a flurry of goals in big wins to kick off the BGTT Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Central Zone season, yesterday.

“Pres” and Chaguanas North’s fixture ended 0-0, at Presentation College Ground, while the double-header at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva saw Couva West and Carapichaima North, defeat Gasparillo 6-0 and Tabaquite 7-0, respectively.

In the earlier match, Jaffat Williams returned to the spotlight for Couva West with a hat-trick, while Seon Edwards scored a brace. Gabriel Boyd got the other goal for the ruthless 2011 zonal runner-up.

The run-away Central winner last season, Carapichaima, followed with a similarly one-sided win. Shaquille Holder, who has represented the school brightly for several years tucked away four goals, while Kern Alexis, Leon Wiley and Yasseel Rivers scored the others.

In the North Zone, St Mary’s College edged Diego Martin North Secondary 1-0 at St Mary’s Ground, Serpentine Road, to round up action in the division. The team’s leading goalscorer last season, Rashad Hyacinth made a welcoming return for the Saints with a match-winning effort in the 77th minute.

Hyacinth finished clinically with a header from a corner after being found by substitute right winger Joel Superville, who shone on his season debut, coming off the bench.

St Benedict’s College dropped Moruga 8-1 in another assertive display in the South Zone. Jamille Goatswain began the season for St Benedict’s brilliantly with five goals.

Tyler Williams got a first-half goal, while Anthony Herbert and Yaseau Rougier scored one each in the second half. Moruga got a consolation goal from Aaron Julien after trailing 4-0 for much of the match.

A day prior, the brilliant 2011 treble winning team St Anthony’s College dominated in its season opener, with a 3-1 victory over QRC.

East Mucurapo, the zone’s second placed team last season also impressed with a 2-0 win over Fatima College. In Tobago, none of the scheduled matches in the opening round were played yesterday and were postponed for two weeks.

An official attached to one of the teams, cited the unavailability of uniforms as a possibility for the delay in the matches.

The official explained that he was told that the suppliers of the uniforms are no longer accepting invoices from the Division of Education, Youth Affairs and Sports of the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) as the Division has been late in completing payments in the past.

When contacted, THA Director of Sports, Anthony Price shared that he is not aware of the situation as no one has brought it to his attention. Former Director of Sports and now Policy and Research officer at the THA, Theophilus Trim told the Trinidad Guardian that it is disappointing if the claims made by the official are true.

In yesterday’s opening round, Mason Hall Secondary and Speyside were due to meet with defending zonal champion Scarborough Secondary set to clash with rival and zonal Intercol winner Signal Hill Secondary. 

Results

North

St Mary’s College 1 (Rashad Hyacinth 77th) v Diego Martin North Secondary 0

Central

Presentation College Chaguanas 0 v Chaguanas North Secondary 0.

Couva West 6 (Jaffet Williams 3, Seon Edwards, Gabriel Boyce) vs Gasparillo 0.

Carapichaima East 7 (Shaquille Holder 38th, 40th, 55th, 86th, Kern Alexis 30th, Leon Wiley 58th, Yasseel Rivers 90th) v Tabaquite 0

East

Trinity East 2 (Nathan Regis 35th, Jameel Sempel 60th) v El Dorado West 0.

South

St Benedict’s College 8 (Jamille Goatswaim 9th, 70th, 78th, 81st, 90th, Tyler Williams 42nd, Anthony Herbert 46th, Yaseau Rougier 75th) v Moruga Sec 1 (Aaron Julien 69th)

St Benedict's, Caps win big.
T&T Express Reports.

St Benedict's College welcomed Moruga back to the BG T&T Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) South Zone Championship Division with an 8-1 whipping, at Moruga Secondary, yesterday.

The "La Romaine Lions" had five goals from striker Jamil Boatswain, and one each from Tyler Williams, Yaseu Rougier and Anthony Herbert. Aaron Julien had the only reply for Moruga.

In Central, Carapichaima East Secondary also started out big, beating Tabaquite Secondary 7-0.

In the North, St Mary's College edged newcomers Diego Martin North Secondary 1-0 on a Rasheed Hyacinth goal, while in East Zone play, Trinity College East eased past debutants El Dorado West 2-0.

Yesterday's Scores

North Zone

St Mary's 1 (Rasheed Hyacinth) vs Diego Martin North 0

East Zone

Trinity College East 2 (Nathan Regis, Jameel Sempel [P]) vs El Dorado West 0

South Zone

St Benedict's 8 (Jamille Boatswain 5, Tyler Williams, Yaseu Rougier, Anthony Herbert) vs Moruga 1 (Aaron Julien)

Central Zone

Carapichaima East 7 vs Tabaquite 0

Couva West 6 vs Gasparillo 0

Pres Chaguanas 0 vs Chaguanas North 0

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
Just give St Anthony's the crown again what all yuh even waiting for?  ;D all them other teams afraid :devil:

I agree 100% breds!! :beermug:

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »

not this year...the title going south or east this year.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »
Moruga FTW.........     :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »
Intercol in T&T is real shitty football, yuh could see better football at some games de Blind Institute playing.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

not this year...the title going south or east this year.

We go see about dat doh worry

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:00 AM »
Tigers tackle newcomers Diego North Sec in SSFL.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Defending four-title champion St Anthony’s College will be seeking to remain unbeaten in 21 matches, since the beginning of last season, when they face North Zone’s newly-promoted Diego Martin North Secondary, on resumption of zonal action in the BGTT Secondary Schools’ Football League (SSFL).

They will meet in the second match day, with all fixtures kicking off at 3.45 pm. The Westmoorings “Tigers,” who are the reigning North Zone, Big Five, North Zone Intercol and national Intercol champions, started the season well with a 3-1 victory over Queen’s Royal College (QRC), which is on a bye today. Diego Martin, on the other hand, suffered a 1-0 defeat on its opening day travels to St Mary’s College.

In the same zone, a battle of traditional rivals will see Fatima College host St Mary’s College at its Mucurapo grounds. Fatima was outplayed in the first match when it was defeated 2-0 by last season’s North Zone runner-up, East Mucurapo.

Travelling east, another keen battle between namesake neighbours will ignite the league when El Dorado East and El Dorado West clash at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima.

Neither team managed to get off to a bright start on the opening match day. El Dorado East got a late goal from Shaquille Bertrand to secure a 1-1 draw with San Juan North, while “El Do West” was dropped 2-0 by Trinity College East.

In South, St Benedict’s College, which thrashed Moruga 8-1, will be back in action versus Naparima College, which lost 3-0 to Presentation College San Fernando.

Fixtures

North

Diego Martin North vs St Anthony’s College, D/Martin Grd, 3.45 pm
Fatima College vs St Mary’s College, Fatima Grd, 3.45 pm
Trinity College vs East Mucurapo Sec, Trinity Grd, Moka, 3.45 pm
QRC—Bye

East

Toco Secondary vs Arima North Sec, Toco, 3.45 pm
Trinity East vs St Augustine Sec, Trincity, 3.45 pm
El Dorado East vs El Dorado West, Larry Gomes Stadium, 3.45 pm
San Juan North—Bye

South

Pleasantville vs Moruga, Manny Ramjohn Stadium, 3.45 pm
St Benedict’s College vs Naparima, La Romaine, 3.45 pm
Princes Town vs Presentation College S/do, Princes Town, 3.45 pm
Shiva Boys—Bye

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »

X2
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »
benedicts (1) vs naps (2)
pleasantville (3) vs moruga (1)
ptown (1) vs pres (3)

i heard jose seabra coaching naps, anybody know what happened to leonson lewis?

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
ptown (1) vs pres (3)

[/quote
ptown (1) vs pres (3)

Playing small goal in pleasantville secondary school
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »

He was most recently an assistant coach with the T&T U-17 team.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 05:23:16 AM »
Tigers held to first SSFL draw in over a year.
By: Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

Title favourites, St Anthony’s College finally had its 100 percent winning streak from the beginning of last season come to an end after being held to a goalless draw away to Diego Martin North Secondary in the BGTT Secondary Schools’ Football League (SSFL) North Zone match day two, yesterday.

The match was staged at the Diego Martin Secondary Ground, at the same time as the two other North Zone fixtures, which resulted in upsets.

The Westmoorings “Tigers” which has a new-look line-up with only a handful of players remaining from last year’s successful campaign, failed to break down the newly-promoted Diego Martin North’s defence, which lost 1-0 to St Mary’s College, on Saturday.

Meanwhile, in another upset, St Mary’s College, despite dominating most of the encounter, suffered a 1-0 defeat away to rivals Fatima College, at the Fatima College Ground, Mucurapo, while Trinity College let a lead slip away on two occasions as East Mucurapo fought back to draw 2-2.

Fatima defender Keon Matthews scored with less than 15 minutes remaining to sink St Mary’s College. St Mary’s started the much more dominant team in open play and may have created more opportunities in the first half had it not been for a strong performance from Fatima’s defence led by Matthews.

Both Fatima and St Mary’s found the back on the net in the second half, but both efforts were blown off by the referee for offsides.

Subsequently, Fatima took a lead against the run of play when Matthews, who played the role as temporary captain, bounced on a ball which fell to his feet with a clinical low driven effort which made its way into the far post.

St Mary’s never recovered and were left to rue a result which kept it on three points from two matches. Fatima, meanwhile, made amends for its 2-0 opening day defeat to East Mucurapo.

Trinity, which was on a bye on the opening day, failed to capitalise on its two leads against the Mucurapo team, which finished the 2011 North Zone league, runner-up to St Anthony’s College.

Henry fires Pres to South top

National Under-20 striker Shackiel scored two second-half goals to lead Presentation College of San Fernando to a come-from-behind 3-1 triumph over Princes Town in their South Zone at Princes Town.

After a goalless first 45 minutes, Kiel Ribeiro opened the scoring for the hosts only for Henry to tie up the score in the 67th minute. Both teams looked headed for a share of the points before Henry netted in the 89th minute while Jivaughn Dimsoy added a third item on the stroke of full time to seal its second win from as many matches and maximum six points, three ahead defending champions Shiva Boys, Pleasantville and Naparima.

In the two other zonal matches, Russell Alfred netted twice in Pleasantville’s similar 3-1 win over Moruga at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella while Naparima held off St Benedict’s 2-1 at La Romaine for its first points of the season.

Dial Dynamos slam Toco 6-0

Kern Roberts and Jomal Francis scored braces on either side of the half as reigning East Zone champions, Arima North “Dial Dynamos,” slammed host Toco 6-0 to surge to the top of the standings. Roberts found the target in the 25th and 30th minute for a 2-0 cushion at the half before Francis (56th, 65th), national Under-20 midfielder Marcus Gomez (62nd) and Shilo Johnson (80th) completed the scoring to push their team to four points.

In the “Battle of El Dorado,” Shaquille Bertrand registered a second-half hat-trick to lead El Do East past neighbours, El Do West 4-2. Bertrand got his goals in the 52nd, 66th and 78th minutes after teammate Marc Williams had opened the scoring in the sixth minute.

For El Do West, Aaron Auguste had tied up the score in the 33rd minute while Anthony Allsop briefly put his team ahead in the 46th minute before Bertrand took charge and led his team to all three points and a share of the lead with reigning champions Arima North. The other match between St Augustine and Trinity East was not played.

Yesterday’s Results

North Zone

Diego Martin North 0 v St Anthony’s College 0.

Fatima College 1 (Keon Matthews) v St Mary’s College 0.

Trinity College 2 (Dominic Jangoo 48th, Isaiah Farrell 64th) v East Mucurapo 2 (Aaqil Campbell 58th, Akeem Roach 87th).

South

Naparima 2 (Johlawne Beckles 23rd, Adan Noel 40th) vs St Benedict’s 1 (Yafeu Rougier 63rd).

Pleasantville 3 (Russell Alfred 2, Stephon Bain) vs Moruga 1 (Maurice Dick).

Presentation 3 (Shackiel Henry 67th, 89th, Jivaughn Dimsoy 90th) vs Princes Town 1 (Kiel Ribeiro 55th).

East

Arima North 6 (Kern Roberts 25th, 30th, Jomal Francis 56th, 65th, Marcus Gomez 62nd, Shilo Johnson 80th) vs Toco 0.

El Do East  4 (Shaquille Bertrand 52nd, 66th, 78th, Marc Williams 6th) vs El Do West 2 (Aaron Auguste
33rd, Anthony Allsop 46th).

Trinity East vs St Augustine - DNP.

Newcomers 'Diego' snap 'Tigers' win streak.
T&T Express Reports.

St Anthony's College's win streak ended at 20 yesterday when they were held 0-0 by Diego Martin North Secondary at Diego Martin in BG T&T Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) North Zone action.

The "Tigers", who ended last season with a perfect 19 wins from as many matches, got only two matches into 2012 before losing points to the North Zone debutants.

East Mucurapo Secondary, though, failed to take advantage of St Anthony's slip-up, as they had to come from behind twice to avoid defeat to Trinity College at Moka.

In the South Zone, St Benedict's College also had their winning start to the season ruined as they were beaten 2-1 by Naparima College. "Naps" had goals by Johlanne Beckles and Adan Noel in the first half, while in-form St Benedict's attacking midfielder Yaseu Rougier hit back from the penalty spot.

East Zone action saw the Trinity College East clash with St Augustine Secondary postponed, but El Dorado East Secondary and Arima North Secondary had big wins.

Arima hammered Toco Secondary 6-0 at Toco, and El Dorado East welcomed their neighbours and newcomers El Dorado West Secondary with a 4-2 beating.

Today's SSFL Results:

North Zone

Diego Martin North Sec 0 vs St Anthony's College 0

Fatima College 1 (Keron Matthews) vs St Mary's College 0

Trinity College 2 (Dominic Jangoo 48th; Isiah Farrell 70th) vs East Mucurapo Sec 2 (Akiel Campbell 58th; Akeem Roach 87th)

East Zone

Toco Sec 0 vs Arima North Sec 6 (Marcus Gomez, Kern Roberts 2, Jamaal Francois 2, Shilo Johnson)

Trinity College East vs St Augustine Sec (Match Postponed)

El Dorado East Sec 4  (Marc Williams 6, uille Bertrand 52nd, 66th, 78th) vs El Dorado West Sec 2 (Aaron Auguste 33rd, Anthony Allsop 46th)

South Zone

St Benedict's College 1 (Yafeu Rougier) vs Naparima College 2 (Johlanne Beckles; Adan Noel)

Princes Town West Sec 1 vs Presentation College Sando 3 (Shakeil Henry 2, Shivone Dimsoy)

Pleasantville Sec 3 vs Moruga Sec 1

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:36:31 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>