March 28, 2024, 09:33:49 AM

Author Topic: 2012 Boys & Girls SSFL & InterCol Thread.  (Read 57731 times)

Offline kaiser

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Boys & Girls SSFL & InterCol Thread.
« Reply #360 on: December 05, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
In other news related to the post St Anthony's College Tigers win intercol  :wavetowel: they beat gustine 2 to 0

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 05, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
In other news related to the post St Anthony's College Tigers win intercol  :wavetowel: they beat gustine 2 to 0

Dey t'ief... we want ah replay.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 05, 2012, 06:49:11 PM »

Dey t'ief... we want ah replay.

SO Bakes, why you did not run on the field and attack the ref to force a replay?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 05, 2012, 07:26:39 PM »
SO Bakes, why you did not run on the field and attack the ref to force a replay?

Me?  Everybody know I'z just ah internet badman lol

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
smh yes ... I eh asking yuh, ah telling yuh ... because it is as such. This is qualitatively different from you knowing what you suppose I don't know.

And I not asking you either... did you see a question mark at the end of my statement? 

There are 18 jurisdictions which have legislation directed at protecting sports officials.  One would have to take a look at the legislative history (complete with comment and minutes) to determine the motivation and intent behind the particular legislation.  This is elementary stuff, to be honest, I don't need to have an argument with you on this.  Unless you have looked at the legislative history and can point to comments that substantiate your claim that "[Legislatures] recognize that this has nothing to do with a comparative of utility between public/quasi-public functionaries and sports officials." then you cannot speak to the motivation behind these laws.  And yes, I know what you don't know because even a cursory review of the legislative history shows that in at least the 10 of those 18 states that I picked at random (CA, IL, KY, MT, DE, PA, NJ, NV, NC, TX) there is no "recognition" of this "comparative utility" that you mention.  So yes, I know that yuh don't know what yuh talking about.

The incident of assaults on officials are sufficiently rare as to serve as a reminder that additional legislative protection is unnecessary.

Patently false. The incidence of assaults on officials is not "sufficiently rare". 

Anyway:

http://www.naso.org/Portals/0/downloads/reports/SpecReptAssault.pdf

http://www.naso.org/Resources/Legislation/StateLegislation.aspx

You pointing to a ten-year old document, that itself borrows liberally from a Marquette Law Review article from 1998, to argue that there is a high incidence of assaults on sports officials TODAY?  Neither of the documents seek to quantify the incidence of assaults on sports officials, relative to the incidence of assault in the larger context.  This is how you determine whether the occurrence is rare or not. Both documents list a relative handful of assaults on sporting officials, compared to assaults on the larger civilian population.  I understand that this might be confusing to you, but that actually supports my argument that the incidence is rare.  Unfortunately for you, no amount of false bravado or assumed authority on your part changes that.

Fella, you are a comedian, yes. Wake up and unchain yuhself, nah. All you've done is confirm what I stated originally.  Also, did you miss, the "anyway"?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »

Fella, you are a comedian, yes. Wake up and unchain yuhself, nah. All you've done is confirm what I stated originally.  Also, did you miss, the "anyway"?

Since yuh slow...

Quote from: asylumseeker
"[Legislatures] recognize that... 

Quote from: Bakes
in at least the 10 of those 18 states that I picked at random... there is no "recognition"...

In other words, they didn't do what you claimed they have done... but keep making up shit to convince yuhself that yuh know what yuh talking about.  And I already addressed your "anyway".

Moving on.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:00:54 PM by Bakes »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
Try yuh bess eh ... normally yuh not this dimwitted. Right here you state:
... I just don't buy that people engaged in play, be it free or for money are somehow on the same level of importance or substance as those providing a service of direct and tangible benefit to the public.

... I subsequently described this same level of importance or substance as a "comparative of utility". All that on the record.

Dahis just a sophisticated way of saying:
Yeah, we know ... referees are not Attorneys General or firemen. So what?

I'm about as slow and as patient as I have to be with your viscous twat (I was even gracious enough to let your "incident" for "incidence" slide).

Of course the leg history doesn't reference comparative utility! It doesn't because it is my term as applied to your words ... and because as I explicitly stated here:

Legislative initiatives in the various jurisdictions (within and outside the US) recognize that this has nothing to do with a comparative of utility between public/quasi-public functionaries and sports officials. That is not the benchmark on which the legislative protection should be assessed or is/was assessed. Yeah, we know ... referees are not Attorneys General or firemen. So what?  

So doh come rong here trying to attribute shit I didn't assert to me.

False bravado, assumed authority ...? Iz only you went to school or wha? Yuh more clueless than a deaf lesbian in a whorehouse. Unless I had looked at the leg history? LOL. At that point yuh shoulda done know ... way before this thread was conceived. I initiated the topic?!

Had your over-lubricated ego been less eager and had you stuck to describing substance we would not be at this point. If yuh want to be the brightest light in the room doh stand next to the frigging sun.

Yuh right: move on.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:35:46 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #367 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:17 AM »
Tigers roar to victory
...St Anthony’s stop ‘Green Machine’ for 6th title
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

Red was the colour of celebration yesterday, as St Anthony’s College clawed their way to yet another national Coca Cola InterCol title after a testing 2-0 victory over St Augustine Secondary at Hasely Crawford Stadium.

It was not easy for the “Tigers” from Westmoorings to stall the “Green Machine” and the North Zone champions got some breaks, but in the end they did look the better team overall.

The result means St Anthony’s are joint first atop the all-time list of InterCol winners with Naparima College and Signal Hill Secondary with six such titles, and second on the overall list of national wins (including “Big Five”) with nine, alongside St Augustine and Naparima, and one behind leaders Signal Hill (ten).

The Tigers were also the last team to defend their InterCol title, which they also did in 2003.

St Anthony’s dominated the first half and had more chances as St Augustine defended deep, waiting to counter-attack. But the Tigers were not clinical enough, and St Augustine created problems for them with long overhead balls, and sometimes a diagonal run from the left.

St Augustine striker Ricardo John was unfortunate to be called for offside before St Anthony’s took advantage of some lax defending to edge in front. The Green Machine fans were celebrating in the 37th minute when John headed in on the third St Augustine try with the St Anthony’s defence all at sea, until they realised the assistant referee had raised his flag.

To add insult to injury, St Anthony’s took the lead seven minutes later. One too many times, St Augustine were caught sitting deep, waiting on the Tigers to make a mistake and this time they did not.

Having won the ball deep in St Augustine’s half, the Tigers shuffled around the passes until Carlton Long had space to slip the ball from centre to right, and a surging Millette slammed it into the roof of the net with his right foot.

That ended the half in their favour, and left St Augustine with work to do.

However, the determination that has been the hallmark of St Augustine’s InterCol campaign this year surfaced in the second period, particularly through the hard work of Jordan Devonish, whose approaches from both the centre and the right represented clear and present danger.

Twice in the space of two minutes they missed close shots on goal, one called for offside and the other by Devonish, who would later fire overbars from good shooting range off a cross from Kwesi Williams in the 64th minute. But it just wasn’t going to be their night.

Although his pass provided the opener, Long just did not have his shooting boots on. He missed twice more from inside the penalty area with a free shot on offer.

Keane McIvor sealed the affair in the 82nd from 20 metres thanks to a pass from Kadeem Corbin. McIvor completed the counter-attack when given too much room outside the penalty area, and he made space on his left foot, unattended and drilled past Romain with the help of a slight deflection.

Andrews had the last chance of the match with a few minutes remaining, hitting wide from the left of goal.

In the end the effort meant little as the Tigers hoisted the trophy for a second successive year to the chants cheers and drums of jubilant supporters. It gave them yet another taste of history.

Tigers claim 6th National Intercol title.
By Kevin Sunich (Newsday).

ST ANTHONY’s College outplayed St Augustine 2-0 in the final to retain their Coca Cola Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) National Intercol title at the Hasely Crawford Stadium yesterday.

Adrian Millette and Kean Mc Ivor found the net to give the defending champs their sixth intercol title. The match which was witnessed by a fair sized crowd, most of whom were supporters of the Westmooring Tigers had a Carnival style atmosphere.

The Tigers enjoyed the better of the first half as they had more chances and more possession. The “Green Machine” who also had a couple of chances in the first period resorted to sitting back and allowing the North Zone champions to do as they wanted. Adrian Millette should have scored in the 20th minute however, his shot went just wide of the target.

The Tigers point man Shaquille Long then saw his point blank range shot saved by Romain Romario.

Gustine who had a couple of chances go wide of the mark could count themselves unlucky as a Ricardo John goal in the 35 minute was disallowed after the linesman raised his flag on the play which came from a left side free-kick.

The home team would however, take the lead just before the final whistle as Millette ran onto a pass on right side of the box before firing past Romario which sparked wild celebration by the St Anthony’s supporters.

Gustine started the second with more purpose and got two early chances. First John ran onto a through pass, however, he was denied by a defender in the box. A minute later Jordan Devonish ran onto a pass, evaded an advancing Sample in the box, but over ran the ball and it was cleared by a defender.

At the other end Trevin Latapy went just wide of the target for Tigers in the 55th minute.

They had another chance in the 66 minute however, Long’s shot from a left side cross went high over the bar from the top of the six-yard box.

Gustine’s captain Nicholas Marcano went just over the bar from a 35-yards right side free-kick in the 69th minute.

The St Anthony’s rhythm section was so loud that it corked the St Augustine supporters.

Gustine after starting the second half on the attack soon resorted to once again sitting back and allowing the Tigers to their way.

Mc Ivor then put the icing on the cake with a beauty, hammering a left foot shot from 35-yards out which flew past a helpless Romario in the 82nd minute to make it 2-0.

Gustine had a couple of chances last but the St Anthony’s defence was equal to the task as they held on for the win.

Tigers head coach Nigel Grosvenor said it was just reward for the team this season. “It has not been easy for us this season. We have lost a number of players due to injury this season and this is a welcome title. We have worked very hard and the boys did what they had to do and it resulted in this title.

Meanwhile Gustine’s coach Michael Grayson said they have only themselves to blame for the defeat.

“When you don’t put away your chances it will hurt you. We had our chances in the first half and we failed to convert and that could have been the turning point,” said Grayson.

He said the result however, would have been different had his three national Under-17 players been on the pitch and not in Colombia.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2012, 05:04:08 AM »
Francis: Shiva Boys keep improving.
By Kevin Sunich (Newsday).

SOUTH Intercol champions Shiva Boys Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) season came to an end on Monday as they went under 4-2 on penalty kicks to defending Coca Cola National champions St Anthony’s in the semi-final.

While they were dethroned by Presentation College in the league, coach Dexter Francis said it was a good season for his boys. Shiva would have gotten some consolation when they defeated Pres in the national quarter-final, a replayed fixture. The initial meeting was abandoned with ten minutes to go and Pres up 2-1 as a result of a fan assaulting the linesman.

Francis said the team has shown improvement every season since they entered the championship division. “In the first year we came fifth and we showed a lot of improvement as we came second the following season. We took it a step further by winning the title in 2011.

However, we came short this season and placed second. We were then able to claim the South Intercol title. All in all I think there is always room for improvement but the guys are doing well,” said the coach.

He feels that his boys will improve even further next season. “I should have more than half of my squad from this season so things look good. It is a grooving thing.

We have from under 12 and under 14, it is a process for things to move on. You need to have continuity and you must have development and this is what Shiva keeps doing,” added Francis.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
Tigers roar to victory
...St Anthony’s stop ‘Green Machine’ for 6th title
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

Congrats to them...once again  :applause:

Might as well gih dem the trophy for the next year and confirm the legendary status early
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:15:29 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #370 on: December 07, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »
Grosvenor: 2012 InterCol title 'most satisfying'
By Mark Pouchet (Express).

"This has been the most satisfying of our InterCol wins because we weren't expected to win."

That's how St Anthony's College coach Nigel Grovesnor summed up his feelings  about his school's sixth lien on the National InterCol title, which they won Wednesday when they beat St Augustine Secondary 2-0 at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

"This one is special because we were not expected to win. Last year we lost ten players, but we were still able to be competitive make the semi-final of the national league and then win this."

Grovesnor is  the architect behind St Anthony's dominance for the past 15 years, which has seen them win six crowns, a record only matched by Naparima College. Overall they have nine national titles, including three "Big Five" wins, a record bettered only by Signal Hill Secondary (ten), and matched by Naparima and St Augustine, and San Fernando Tech, who dominated in the 1970s and 1980s.

" Although the first one (InterCol title) we won in 1997 will always be the best, this victory was the most satisfying of all, because last year at least we had a quality team and a deep bench.  This year we had a lot of players filling in. So it was hard and grueling but we stood our ground," Grovesnor said.

According to the longstanding St Anthony's coach, his school's ability to produce consistent results at this level is due to their foundation and transitional programme.

"When I started at the school here, I started from the ground level, placing a lot of emphasis from the under-14s come up, the youth programmes. Because of that foundation, we find that it is easy for the guys to come and fill in for experienced  players who have to leave. That's what happened this year and that has been happening quite consistently since I have been here," he said.

Looking forward to next year's competition, despite the fact that he will be losing experienced players like captain Jamali Garcia and striker Adrian Millette next year, Grosvenor is confident of giving another year of rock solid performances in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) competition.

"I always go into each year with a certain amount of confidence," Grovesnor said, "Next year won't be any different. We are going to focus on our physical and mental preparation. For me, and this is how I like my team to look at it, every year presents a new challenge, and so we try to find new things to focus on so the guys don't get bored.

"So I am looking forward to next year . There is no guarantee we will win or be as successful as this year. But one thing is that we will certainly try to win," he concluded.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
Tim Kee supports lifetime ban for football hooligan.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Football Federation president Raymond Tim Kee is supporting a lifetime ban on the football hooligan who assaulted Kevin Charles, an assistant referee, at an InterCol match between Presentation College San Fernando and Shiva Boys’ Hindu College at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium.

Tim Kee was delivering the feature address on Wednesday night at the Central Football Association (CFA) appreciation dinner at the Plaza De Montrose, Chaguanas. Tim Kee said he was deeply disturbed at the act of violence on Charles. He said the banning of the perpetrator would send a clear signal that such behavior would not be tolerated.

Tim Kee also knocked security officials on the day of the match. He said the security should have had their eyes trained on the crowd instead of spending their time watching the match. Tim Kee suggested that if the ban takes effect photos of the individual may be posted outside matches in a bid to keep the guilty party out.

In his address Tim Kee also advised referees to ensure that errors are minimised as not to anger the crowd. He said people are passionate about football and noted that in some countries some individuals commit suicide or even murder when decisions do not go their way. He said referees should be careful about the way they conduct the quality of the game and ensure that there was integrity at all times.

Clyde George of SPORTT urged referees to read up on the rules and ensure that they train at all times. George said knowledge and training were two essential tools needed to ensure that they are prepared at all times for the games. The Most Promising Referee award was given to Aton Guerro while the Referee of the Year was Oswald Myers.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2012, 08:08:46 AM »
Not sure how many St Anthonys players are on the National U17, but, hats off to Grayson, he released his players to the National squad, understanding the importance of the National Team & his role in player development.   :applause:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 09, 2012, 08:21:29 AM »
Not sure how many St Anthonys players are on the National U17, but, hats off to Grayson, he released his players to the National squad, understanding the importance of the National Team & his role in player development.   :applause:

Grovesnor is the St Anthony's coach bro not Grayson and there are no St Anthony's college players on the under 17 team that's in Colombia.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:28:15 AM by Errol »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »

Grovesnor is the St Anthony's coach bro not Grayson and there are no St Anthony's college players on the under 17 team that's in Colombia.

Errol I never said Grayson coached St Anthonys! The article stated, Grayson had 3 players on the U17 team, so I applauded. I do not know if St Anthonys have any on the squad.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »

T&T U-17 Squad for Colombia Tour, November 28th – December 10th, 2012

Players

D’eandre Villaroel (Fatima College)/ San Juan Jabloteh           
Stephon Seepersad (Naparima College)/ W. Connection
Josiah Trimmingham (San Juan North Secondary)/ San Juan Jabloteh
Mateon Watson (Naparima College)/ W. Connection
Shannon Gomez (St. Augustine Secondary)/ San Juan Jabloteh
Leland Archer (Fatima College)/ St. Ann’s Rangers
Maurice Ford (Belmont Boys Secondary)/ St. Ann’s Rangers
Brendon Creed (Fatima College)/ SKHY F.C.
Jabari Mitchell (Naparima College)/ W. Connection
Jarred Dass (Naparima College)/ W. Connection
Dominic Jangoo (Trinity College)/ SKHY F.C.
Matthew Woo Ling (Fatima College)/ W. Connection
Kishun Seecharan (El Dorado West Secondary)/ 1st FC Santa Rosa
Anderson Toussaint (Princess Town West Secondary)/ SFA Centre of Excellence
Akeem Garcia (St. Augustine Secondary)/ San Juan Jabloteh
Yafeu Rougier (St. Benedict’s College)/ W. Connection
Weah Adams (Roxborough Secondary)/ Roxborough Lakers FC
Andre Fortune (US based)/ Needham B. Broughton High School
Mani Walcott (US based)/ Eleanor Roosevelt High School
Kyle Braithwaite (US based)/ D.C. United

No St Anthony's players are listed on the squad. Interesting. Perhaps the coaches might recruit one or two players from there to help strengthen the U-17s for next year 

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Hooliganism invades T&T football.
« Reply #376 on: December 16, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
Hooliganism invades T&T football.
By Reshma Ragoonath (Guardian).

In certain sports blood and violence is expected, but often it occurs within the confines of a ring or a cage. But those elements found their way onto the field in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) in what can only be described as an act of football hooliganism.

Sports Minister Anil Roberts condemned the incident, which he described as a “blemish” on T&T’s proud history of sportsmanship. On November 26, football fan Godfrey Adams, 53, of Penal, breached security at the stadium during the Coca Cola InterCol South Zone final between Presentation College, San Fernando, and Shiva Boys’ Hindu College and struck linesman Kevin Charles on the head with a glass bottle.

Appearing in court, he pleaded guilty to wounding Charles and was fined $2,500 and ordered to pay $9,000 in compensation. Shiva Boys went on to win the match in the replay on December 1 at the stadium.

Read More

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
South’s Weston, Taylor cop SSFL MVP awards
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
South’s Weston, Taylor cop SSFL MVP awards
T&T Guardian

South Zone players, Qwesi Weston of Shiva Boys Hindu College and Kayla Taylor of Debe Secondary were recognised as the top players of the recently concluded season, when the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) staged its annual awards ceremony, at the Plaza de Montrose, Chaguanas, yesterday.

Weston, which played reliably in the positions of a goalkeeper and a striker, helped Shiva Boys to its first ever Coca-Cola South Zone InterCol title and a national semifinal. He got the nod ahead of four other top players. They were national youth attackers Shackiel Henry, who scored over 25 goals for Presentation College of San Fernando and Marcus Gomez, who was pivotal in Arima North’s East Zone league victory this season, along with Weston’s teammate Nathaniel Garcia and captain of successive national InterCol champions St Anthony’s College, Jamali Garcia, all of whom made up the top five players of the year.

In the senior girls’ division, Taylor, who scored 26 goals in all competitions this season led the country’s most recognised force in girls’ football, Debe Secondary, to yet another league, Big-Four and national InterCol title.

Taylor, who also won the prize in 2010, had been outstanding for the past several years and was expected to receive the award.

She, along with St Joseph’s leading scorer Maya Matouk, St Augustine attacker Naomi Guerra and Natiesha Radgman of Bishop’s High of Tobago’s, which finished runner-up in the Big-Four and national InterCol competitions, were the top five players of the year in the girls’ division.

The treasured trophy of the SSFL would be handed to St Anthony’s College, which for the second year running and for a record sixth time in its history (joint with Naparima College), won the national InterCol. The “Tigers”, led by coach Nigel Grosvenor defeated St Augustine Secondary 2-0 in the final, some two weeks ago.

The league, despite being graced with several exciting moments, experienced several hiccups this season, not limited to the several postponements and replays in matches, which caused gripes between affected schools. There was also the unfortunate attack on an assistant referee by a fan during the South Zone InterCol final, which was abandoned and eventually replayed.

Read More...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>