March 29, 2024, 09:04:16 AM

Author Topic: Season kicks off with Digicel Charity Shield  (Read 833 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Season kicks off with Digicel Charity Shield
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Season kicks off with Digicel Charity Shield
ttproleague.com

The 2012-2013 TT Pro League calendar will kick off on Saturday 8 September with the introduction of a Digicel Charity Shield.

The inaugural Digicel Charity Shield will be contested between the winner of last season’s Digicel Pro League Championship, DIRECTV W Connection and the winner of last season’s Digicel Pro Bowl, Defence Force from 5pm at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium.

The Shield is to be contested annually by the champions of the League and Pro Bowl, or in the case of the winner being the same in both competitions, the League runner-up becomes the opponent.

“The Pro League continues to seek new ways to be creative and innovative in order to improve the attendance at the games,” explained TT Pro League CEO Dexter Skeene.

He added, “This is another brand extension that we are introducing which is in line with our mission to stimulate the growing interest in the League and to bring the public closer to the clubs and players. These initiatives are intended to contribute to the sustainable development, not only to the sport of football, but the various communities represented by the TT Pro League.”

The Digicel Charity Shield winner will have $10,000 donated to a charitable cause of choice, while part proceeds generated from the gate receipts go towards introducing the “Read to Rise” Primary Literacy Program to a school within the club’s community.

Gates open from 4pm with the Fiesta Saturday vibe—which is very much a family type atmosphere of games, bouncy castles and much more.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jean gives thumbs up to Digicel Charity Shield initiative
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »
Jean gives thumbs up to Digicel Charity Shield initiative
ttproleague.com

DIRECTV W Connection assistant coach Earl Jean has heaped praise over the Digicel Charity Shield initiative which will be played on Saturday 8 September at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium.

The Charity Shield brings together last season’s Digicel Pro League Champion, Connection and the Digicel Pro Bowl Champion, Defence Force from 5pm at the Marabella venue.

The Digicel Charity Shield winner will have $10,000 donated to a charitable cause of choice, while part proceeds generated from the gate receipts go towards introducing the “Read to Rise” Primary Literacy Program to a school within the club’s community.

Not drifting from the fact that Connection wants to add the Digicel Charity Shield added to its illustrious cabinet Jean said, “It’s always an exciting time when we have to play for any trophy because DIRECTV W Connection is a club that thrive on winning trophies and that’s what they pay us to do.

I think it’s very important. We want to win and if there is a trophy we want to take the trophy home. The charity could have the money.”

The former Connection and St. Lucian international striker went on to add, “It’s a very good thing that they are doing. Anything for charity, I believe professional players and the Pro League supposed to be doing work for it.

I think whoever came up with the idea, that’s well done. I think we can do a lot more to help the society in whatever way and I think it’s always important when you hear about the Charity Shield, you’re talking about the top teams that won different competitions in the League. I hope that the public come out and support because I think the clubs need the support, the players need the support and it’s for charity so let’s see if the public would come out and give their full support.”

The Shield is to be contested annually by the champions of the League and Pro Bowl, or in the case of the winner being the same in both competitions, the League runner-up becomes the opponent.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Season kicks off with Digicel Charity Shield
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N63IuOPYefU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N63IuOPYefU</a>

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Nice initiative, nice idea!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
High aiming Defence Force wants to start with Digicel Charity Shield
ttproleague.com

Defence Force Head Coach, Ross Russell, aims high after boasting a trophy per season in the last three seasons since taking charge of the Soldiers in 2009.

Russell, in his debut season, guided the Soldiers to the First Citizens Cup and followed up brilliantly in 2010-2011 winning the Digicel Pro League Championship thanks to a record ten (10) match winning streak taking the first round by storm.

The Soldiers failed to defend its title in 2011-2012 following a late start and basically no preparations because of a four-month State of Emergency issued by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago, but ended the season with the Digicel Pro Bowl title after reaching three knockout finals.

Now with a full complement of players including the return of striker Devorn Jorsling and a full pre-season, Head Coach Russell fancies “three or four” titles.

“I’m sending the warning right now,” voiced Russell. “We are not just focusing on the League. We will be focusing on all the (knockout titles) and we are coming to excite the crowds.”

The former Trinidad and Tobago international goalkeeper wants to start with the Digicel Charity Shield on Saturday 8 September against last season’s Digicel Pro League winner, W Connection from 5pm at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium.

The Charity Shield brings together the winners of the League and Pro Bowl with the winner having $10,000 donated to a charitable cause of choice, while part proceeds generated from the gate receipts go towards introducing the “Read to Rise” Primary Literacy Program to a school within the club’s community.

Russell told ttproleague.com, “I think W Connection would be [a little more match fit] because they are playing at a very high level right now. When you’re playing in the CONCACAF (Champions’ League) every game is tough. I saw them play two games so I think they would be a handful to deal with.

But because of the preparation we did, we are not really scared of anyone. We just want to go out and play, and enjoy ourselves. So I think our guys are looking forward to that. We are not studying what W (Connection) did for the year; we are studying what we could do for the year.

“We were prepared to play since last week. And the Charity Shield is just a step to the start of the season. It’s always good to start with a Cup so we are fully prepared to go and play. It’s for charity and we are a charity team. So we are going out to be the champions of the Charity Shield,” said Russell.

The 44 year old went on to strengthen certainty by adding, “The team is (getting stronger) every year and we are now progressing back to our championship style.

“We’ve prepared just like we prepared to win the League [in 2010-2011]. The guys are happy, they are excited to play. With Devorn Jorsling and Kevon Carter back fully, we are back to full strength like when we won the League. So I think we are prepared to play from our hearts and excite the League and bring out the crowds.

“So far in the three (seasons) since I took over, we won three trophies. Every year we won a trophy. This year we are trying to win around three or four trophies to show our dominance is back in the League.

“We always tried winning the League or the FA, but this time we have a lot of depth in the team so we can mix and match wherever we want and play guys in the (knockout tournaments) as well as in the League. So we are out to give a lot of trouble to the other clubs.”

The Soldiers are also looking towards the Military Games later this year, which serves as a qualifier to the Military World Cup 2013 in Qatar. But will take the field for its first 2012-2013 Digicel Pro League match on Friday 14 September against St. Ann’s Rangers at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:33:07 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>