March 28, 2024, 01:54:31 PM

Author Topic: ‘Warriors’ not invited to 50 Legends dinner  (Read 5792 times)

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Warriors’ not invited to 50 Legends dinner
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »
‘Warriors’ not invited to 50 Legends dinner
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

NOT ALL the members of the 2006 Soca Warriors team have been invited to today’s gala dinner and ceremony celebrating “50 Greatest Legends in Sport” from 1962 to present.

The dinner will be held at the Trinidad Hilton in St Ann’s and is being organised by All Sport Promotions in collaboration with the Ministry of Planning and the Economy.

Speaking to Newsday yesterday, Brent Sancho, a member of the 2006 World Cup team, revealed that he only found out about the celebrations after reading a Newsday and was stunned when he found out that a ceremony was to be held to honour them.

“Neither me nor any of the others have been invited (with the exception of Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Shaka Hislop). I haven’t received any phone calls and I have spoken to (Anthon) Wolfe and Cyd Gray and they haven’t been contacted either. I only found out about it after reading your papers. It’s a disgrace,” he declared.

Sancho, who along with 12 other past and present national players, is currently involved in litigation with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) believes this fractious relationship may have played a role in their snub.

“At the end of the day, coming back from the World Cup we were made to feel like we had done something negative rather than some positive. We’ve been shunned from functions of the TTFF before but it’s not about us, it’s about a legacy that we want to leave for the youngsters coming up,” the ex-TT defender explained.

Meanwhile, Sancho expressed hurt that 2006 World Cup captain Dwight Yorke and the inspirational Russell Latapy were given invitations yet others weren’t.

“When you’re selecting such an important group of individuals, why select us and not invite everybody back. If you’re doing things properly, why celebrate only two?” he asked.

“I clearly remember when taking the field (at the World Cup) in Kaiserslautern that we played with 11 players and not two,” he remarked.

Asked whether he would still attend if he received a late invitation, Sancho was adamant that the damage had already been done.

“I’m very disappointed with how things went down. I don’t think I would attend. I don’t know what the other guys think but I believe it is a big disrespect. They’ve had more than enough time to put this together,” he pointed out.

The 35-year-old, who played in all three of TT’s group matches at the World Cup, did express elation though to be among the 50 legends despite not been invited to the dinner.

“When I read about it I almost fell off my chair because when you look back 50 years there have been a number of top sportsmen and women. I’m very proud of it and I’m really happy on a personal level,” he stated.

Contacted by Newsday yesterday to explain the omissions, a contrite Tony Harford, Managing Director, All Sport Promotions, explained what happened.

“I wrote all the teams that made the 50 and notified their manager or the relevant Association and asked them if they would inform the players (about the celebration),” Harford said.

“I dealt with Latapy, Yorke personally because they were nominated individually. I also invited Shaka because we have a personal relationship. The TTFF (Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation) informed me that the captain will receive the award (on behalf of the team). They clearly felt that Dwight should receive the award,” he said.

Meanwhile, Harford revealed that he spoke to Sancho yesterday who understands what took place and did extend a belated invitation to him. The All Sport Promotions official explained that he would call all the other players individually and apologise to them while also extending invitations to them as well.

50th Anniversary Sport Legends Committee:

Dave Lamy, Sedley Joseph, Sandra Charles-Montano, Lloyd Agard, Alexander Chapman, Brian Lewis.

Nominees

Athletics – Hasely Crawford, Ato Boldon, Richard Thompson, T&T 4x440 yards relay teams 1964 &1966 (Wendell Mottley; Kent Bernard; Edwin Roberts; Edwin Skinner; Lennox Yearwood), Lalonde Gordon, Keshorn Walcott

Badminton – Debra O'Connor

Netball – 1979 T&T netball team

Cricket – Brian Lara, Deryck Murray, Larry Gomes, Ian Bishop, Charlie Davis, T&T Champions League team 2009, Willie Rodriguez.

Cycling – Roger Gibbon, Gene Samuel, Leslie King [deceased]

Football – Dwight Yorke, Sedley Joseph, Everald "Gally" Cummings, 2006 Soca Warriors, Lincoln Phillips, Joey Carew, Alvin Corneal, Russell Latapy, Tyrone De La Bastide

Hockey – Kwandwane Browne, Stacey Siu Butt, Sandra Charles-Montano

Shooting – Bert Manhin, Roger Daniel

Tennis – Alan Price, Peter Valdez

Weightlifting – Brandon Bailey, Hugo Gittens

Sailing – Cordell Barrow [deceased] and Rawle Barrow

Basketball – Merrick "Jim" Anatol

Bodybuilding – Mike Hercules (deceased)

Golf – Stephen Ames, Maria Nunes

Horse Racing – Emile Ramsammy

Administration – Ann Browne-John, Alloy Lequay (cricket); Lystra Lewis (netball); Alexander B Chapman (Olympics); Eric James (football)

Boxing – Giselle Salandy (deceased)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:47:00 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Warriors’ not invited to 50 Legends dinner
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:50:03 AM »
I believe Rodney Wilkes and Lennox Kilgour should be on that list in the Weightlifting category.
That's a major major oversight right there!!  :-[

You can check our Olympics History at this link (http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=54969.0) to understand why I am so disappointed with those two sporting legends being left out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:55:26 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »
I am surprised that Warren Archibald is not mentioned here. I have watched this guy in Haiti in  the 1973 Concacaf final round and let me tell you,  I never saw a better Trini player than him, that's included D. York
By the way is this guys still alive or is he dead?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
I am surprised that Warren Archibald is not mentioned here. I have watched this guy in Haiti in  the 1973 Concacaf final round and let me tell you,  I never saw a better Trini player than him, that's included D. York

He is alive, lives in the US and hangs out in Brooklyn a lot...

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
So this is not about legends then, its a friend, friend thing.

Harford is a dam clown.

Hislop, please, two good games in 26 games and Stern John have 70 goals in 115 games and he not invited.

I expect Latapy and smartman Yorke to go, lets see if Shaka is man enough to stand up with his teammates and not attend.

And where is Manny Ramjohn and Larry Gomes. ?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
I believe Rodney Wilkes and Lennox Kilgour should be on that list in the Weightlifting category.

You can check our Olympics History at this link (http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=54969.0) to understand why I am so disappointed with those two sporting legends being left out.

Rodney Wilkes is the first trinidadian ever to win an Olympic medal. Silver in '48 and Bronze in '52. Also won gold in PanAm and CAC. Something is very wrong with this list.  :bs:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
What about the main man, Dennis Lawrence who goal got us there !!!!

And Chris Birchall who gave us a life line against Bahrain.

Or Stern John double vs Guatemala and Mexico.

Or Kelvin Jack last minute save in Manama....

Infact, all of the players sould be there, no doubt, this is pure politics.

Everybody should boycott this and have their own celebrations.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »

I too was shocked that Rodney Wilkes didn't make the list given his outstanding accomplishments, but then I re-read the article - "NOT ALL the members of the 2006 Soca Warriors team have been invited to today’s gala dinner and ceremony celebrating “50 Greatest Legends in Sport” from 1962 to present."

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
Ooops... but it is still kinda stupid. It didn't have true sportsmen before independence? Come nah man at the end of the day they are still trinbagonians.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
I can understand from a cost point of view why all 23 were not invited to the dinner. However, the respectful way of doing this would be to ask the 23 to select, say 5 representatives amongst themselves. Dwight Yorke is probably the only player who should have been invited seperately as he won just about every trophy with Man U. I understand the love for Latapy, but realistically, his achievements in the game do not warrent automatic inclusion above the other 21 warriors.
I'm also interested to learn if the entire 1979 T&T netball team will attend as well as the entire T&T Champions League team 2009?

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
Ooops... but it is still kinda stupid. It didn't have true sportsmen before independence? Come nah man at the end of the day they are still trinbagonians.

Agreed. Embarrassingly, it wasn't until a couple months ago that I came to learn of Rodney Wilkes and his accomplishments. It's really sad to know that this sporting icon is still alive (although in poor health) and living in poverty somewhere in Trinidad. The government should honour him now before it's too late....but in Trinidad I guess "too late too late" will always be the cry.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:39:55 AM by Michael-j »

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »
Cricket – Brian Lara, Deryck Murray, Larry Gomes, Ian Bishop, Charlie Davis, T&T Champions League team 2009, Willie Rodriguez [also football], Joey Carew, Alvin Corneal, Russell Latapy, Tyrone De La Bastide

:thinking:
I know Alvin was a cricketer worthy of mention, but....
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »
Pardners, I think that is a mistake with Tyrone on the cricket. Off course Alvin has to be there because he played both football and cricket for TT. He was on the WI football team and was on the verge of being selected as an opening batsman for the WI in the 70's. No issues with Willie Rodriguez.  Allyuh might laugh at meh if I tell allyuh Wes Hall should be on that list. Wes played for TT and help greatly in TT back to back Shell Shield victories. He did great things for youth cricket with Witco sponsored Wes Hall league.

I would have liked them to have a 50 Greatest Sportmen and Women pre-1962. Then people like Wilkes, Ramjohn, Kilgour, Sybil DonMartin, Agostini, Compton Gonsalves, etc.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:44:42 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »

Archie is still alive and well in NY.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:16 AM »
indicative of last minute thing.

These men donnt mean bad they just clueless on how to be properly organized.

How you expect to run an entire football program if you cannot get things straight for a dinner.

Last minute thing....

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
the whole team while being nominated should have been invited

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
Dey cyah invite EVERYBODY

No matter who they invite, somebody will be upset that they get leff out.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
They invite the 1979 netball team
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »

Just curious, how many are on the '79 netball team? If its no more than 7, then it seems the invitations are partially based on numbers rather than poor planning.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »

Just curious, how many are on the '79 netball team? If its no more than 7, then it seems the invitations are partially based on numbers rather than poor planning.

If 23 on a football team and you using numbers, then 3 from 23 is a total skew of 7 from 7?

Also, read the article again, especially the last part about Harford apologising. Poor planning, frenism and toatl dotish people.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »

If 23 on a football team and you using numbers, then 3 from 23 is a total skew of 7 from 7?

Also, read the article again, especially the last part about Harford apologising. Poor planning, frenism and toatl dotish people.

Huh??? That makes no sense in relation to the question. I'll try again; how many players from the '79 netball team are available to attend? Taking into consideration a netball team is usually less in numbers, it may not be a fair comparison to question why netball team was invited but not a football team. In the end, these events are and will always subjective in nature. We haven't had substantive issue about T&T football in a while so this is a welcome interruption of the doldrums.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
Correct meh if ah wrong: From a sporting standpoint.
Football: Shay Seymour play in the English Football League when he debut for Bury in 1954, Add Steve David and Leroy De Leon to the list as well.

No Journalist was mentioned and many personalities missing from the list. Wey, Ralph Ellis Knowles, or ‘Raffie. was involve in sports as well.

Basketball : Victor "Voot" O'Garro.

Cricket: Bernard Julien, Jack Noreiga (deceased) he remains the only West Indian to take nine wickets in a Test innings 9 for 95.

Table Tennis: Mansingh Amarsingh  One of T&T’s most famous and talented table tennis player.

Hockey:Margaret Hoyte-Pollard.

Track and Field: Sybil Allen-Donmartin the “Flying Housewife”.

That is a grocery list to go price smart that they created. The people who put that list together real crazy yes...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:34:24 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
So according to that list Latas get nominated for cricket not football?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
I'm still waiting for the governments 50 greatest sporting scandals awards. Hmm....maybe that would be a good thread right here?  :thinking:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »
Huh??? That makes no sense in relation to the question. I'll try again; how many players from the '79 netball team are available to attend? Taking into consideration a netball team is usually less in numbers......

Maybe because the netball team were joint World Champions.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
Huh??? That makes no sense in relation to the question. I'll try again; how many players from the '79 netball team are available to attend? Taking into consideration a netball team is usually less in numbers......

Maybe because the netball team were joint World Champions.

SMH. :banginghead: I'm not debating the merits of those who were invited or acknowledged. Whether the netball team was world champion vs. the soca warriors being participants in a world championship tournament is not the question. The question is how many surviving netball team members are around to attend the gala? The reason for the question is if the number of netballers is considerably less than the 23 players who made up the 2006 WC team, it may be plausible that not inviting the Soca Warriors was a resource issue rather than an oversight.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »
What is interesting is that they invited 5 dead people to a gala dinner ?

This is not a hall of fame ceremony but rather a dinner.

I know this is not just for football, so wouldn't it make more sense inviting Njisane Phillip instead of Leslie King or Andrew Lewis instead of Cordell Barrow as both Barrow and King are deceased.

I dont know about the rest but Dave Lamy and Sedley Joseph is two bias guys to have on the committee.

Tempo is right, this is more of resource issue rather than an oversight.

They trying to cut course by inviting dead people, what a slap in the face.

Leo Beenhakker should be the first man on this lists of footballers.

Anthony Harford is really a waste if you asked me, and I know everyone cannot be invited, but did he at least think for a minute or just decided to leave out some of the REBEL Warriors.   :devil:

Aparently Jack still has the voodoo stick over Harford's head.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:33:40 PM by Flex »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
Nice idea

Horrible execution.  Appears that VERY LITTLE THOUGHT went into this event.

Almost to de point where it mighta be better if dey did jes have a lime and invite who dey want.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »
It's  been talked about on i95 now.. i sports.
http://www.i955fm.com/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:28:52 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
The guy on the radio raised a good point, Sandra Charles-Montano on the Committee nominated herself and 3 for hockey !!!!

And Table Tennis got nothing.... that Dexter St. Louis guy representing T&T since I use to live there !!!!!

Hhhmmmm.....

1]; } ?>