April 25, 2024, 05:20:33 AM

Author Topic: Breaking News - JCC says - The Prime Minister Must Speak  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Breaking News - JCC says - The Prime Minister Must Speak
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »
By Richard Charan
Story Created: Sep 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM ECT
Story Updated: Sep 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM ECT
The Joint Consultative Council for the Construction Industry (JCC)
has called on Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to give
a full account of why a contentious provision of the Administration
of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act was proclaimed in the midst
of the nation's 50th anniversary of Independence celebrations.

The JCC also views as a matter of serious concern President George Maxwell Richards decision to assent to the clauses "at that particular moment of national celebration".

The JCC's statement, signed by its president Afra Raymond, also called for a repeal of the Act so that the defendants in the Piarco Airport terminal project cases can be prosecuted.
The House of Representatives convened in emergency session today for the purpose of repealing the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act.

The follow is a full text of the statement of the JCC's statement.

- The JCC is completely opposed to the recently-proclaimed provisions of the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011 which have the effect of creating a loophole to allow the high-profile persons accused in the Piarco Airport scandal to escape trial.

The Bernard Commission was an expensive and critical Enquiry into the Piarco Airport scandal which revealed evidence of massive corruption, bid-rigging, bribe-paying, back-fitting and other practices which amounted to a series of criminal assaults on our nation's Treasury. The JCC played a leading role in calling for and submitting evidence to the Bernard Commission which exposed abuse of power and corrupt practices in some of the highest offices in our country. There have been high-level convictions and imprisonments arising directly from the Bernard Commission, yet there has been no action on effectively prosecuting the accused parties in our own Courts.

The effect of the new laws which were proclaimed would have been to create a legal means for those accused persons to escape a trial and oblige the Court to have made a verdict of not guilty. The JCC deplores such an intended result in this matter as being contrary to good order and seemingly intended to promote the notion that white-collar crime pays.

The JCC is calling for immediate corrective action by the Attorney General and the Minister of Justice, including repealing the recently-proclaimed sections of this Act, to ensure that the trials of the Piarco Airport scandal accused can proceed as promised on several occasions to the public.

Justice must not only be done, it must be seen to be done.

Even after the necessary immediate corrective action, the JCC is calling on the Prime Minister to make a formal, full statement to the Parliament to give an accounting for the manner in which this most important matter has been handled, including why it was thought advisable to have those particular clauses of this new law proclaimed at the particular moment of celebrating our country's 50th anniversary of Independence.

Given the specific assurances given to the Parliament as to the pre-conditions to the government's intended proclamation of this new law, the role of the President in assenting to these particular clauses at that particular moment of national celebration and maximum distraction is a matter for serious concern.

Publish the Bernard Report now

The JCC is repeating its call for the immediate publication of the full Report of the Bernard Commission into the Piarco Airport scandal.

Implement the Uff Report recommendations now

The JCC is calling on this administration to implement the Uff Report recommendations now as promised in the 2010 election campaign. The JCC completely rejects the position of the Minister of Justice that the Joint Select Committee on Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Property is handling that implementation process. Only one of the 91 recommendations of the Uff Report has any relation to the work of that Joint Select Committee, so those need to be implemented now.

If this administration is serious about attacking the wave of white-collar crime which is drowning our country, the Uff Report recommendations will be implemented now.

Public Procurement reform now

The JCC is renewing its call for the immediate implementation of a new Public Procurement system to eliminate the waste and theft of Public Money. This administration campaigned on a promise to implement the new Public Procurement system within one year of the May 2010 election, so we are way overdue for those new laws.

The JCC and its colleagues in the Private Sector/Civil Society group have submitted a complete DRAFT BILL to the Joint Select Committee, so that needs to become law now.

If this administration is serious about attacking the wave of white-collar crime which is drowning our country, the DRAFT BILL on Public Procurement and disposal of Public Property as prepared by the Private Sector/Civil Society group will be immediately tabled in Parliament for debate and enactment

In this, our nation's 50th year of independence, our Parliament re-convened during its vacation to approve Financial laws on the request of a foreign government.

The JCC is calling for Parliament to be reconvened for the immediate correction of this gross error in proclaiming this new law.

The JCC is also calling on this administration to make the passing of new Public Procurement laws an urgent priority.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News - JCC says - The Prime Minister Must Speak
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
Stueps she never speaks. Always silent
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
Kamla Persad Bisessar SC

an this woman just doesnt have a clue...when i look at most that carry that SC title its laughable that Kamla has that attached to her name as well...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
Kamla Persad Bisessar SC

an this woman just doesnt have a clue...when i look at most that carry that SC title its laughable that Kamla has that attached to her name as well...

SC in dis case mean wha? Cause it have real possibilities eh!

Question: The longest that we can wait for an election is Sept 18th 2015 right?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 06:35:15 AM »
All yuh.  Ah have a serious, serious question to ask.  I have been debating it in my mind for the past two days or so when it became known that it was a cabinet decision to proclaim section 34.

My concern has to do with the PM's role in all of this.  Can a cabinet decision take place without the PM's knowledge or approval??

The PM is head of the cabinet.  If this was done with her knowledge then she needs to resign and call fresh elections now.  If this was done without her knowledge, then I find that even more scary than the scenario above.  Because I am getting the uncomfortable feeling that this women eh have a firetrucking clue about what is happening in her government.  She is merely there to smile and wave and look pretty for the cameras but nothing else and I didn't vote for that!!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:38:45 AM »

Made that point yesterday morning.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=58005.0

She is merely there to smile and wave and look pretty for the cameras?

Are you serious, Brownie??

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:57:03 AM »
All yuh.  Ah have a serious, serious question to ask.  I have been debating it in my mind for the past two days or so when it became known that it was a cabinet decision to proclaim section 34.

My concern has to do with the PM's role in all of this.  Can a cabinet decision take place without the PM's knowledge or approval??

The PM is head of the cabinet.  If this was done with her knowledge then she needs to resign and call fresh elections now.  If this was done without her knowledge, then I find that even more scary than the scenario above.  Because I am getting the uncomfortable feeling that this women eh have a firetrucking clue about what is happening in her government.  She is merely there to smile and wave and look pretty for the cameras but nothing else and I didn't vote for that!!!....

Well said.

What a waste. First woman prime minister, huge majority govt and the people was behind her. Done absolutely diddly with that.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 07:04:52 AM »

Cou[le of scenarious.

The AG would have brought the note to cabinet and he could have said simply that this was in furtherance of wanting to reduce to number of outstanding matters before the courts as is the intention. Nobody realises to full portent apart from this most disgusting criminal AG.

Or

He brings it to them and says the same thing and also that potentially the Piarco 17 could go free and the rest of cabinet ent say nutten and allow it to go.

I think this is a UNC plot that dates back to before elections and the UNC inner cabal were well aware of it , so  it is scenario 1  and yes Kamla is part of it.

Maybe they hoping it will be another 9day wonder thing but they should all go to jail for it.
They actually using the trust of a nation to get people off criminal charges !!!

I hope this group of criminals ease up on the amount risks they taking so that the general public doh reach explosion point and they have to leave office other than through an elections.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:12:27 AM »

The PM is head of the cabinet.  If this was done with her knowledge then she needs to resign and call fresh elections now.  If this was done without her knowledge, then I find that even more scary than the scenario above. Because I am getting the uncomfortable feeling that this women eh have a firetrucking clue about what is happening in her government.  She is merely there to smile and wave and look pretty for the cameras but nothing else and I didn't vote for that!!!....

this!

on top of all dat it has been three years without d articulation of viable gov't policy direction for anything that is really important for the country as a whole most importantly wake d economy from its long sleep...........I have also heard that they are having a hard time attracting any significant large foreign investments due to a sense of uneasiness about doing business in and on behalf of this country World GTL/Petrotrin(started under PNM), smelter contract cancellation (can't honestly say ah not glad doh), d OPVs (damn shit dat one) were "talking point".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:28:20 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
All yuh eh realize all yuh vote Kamla queen. Old Patos word coming to pass he said Kamla would reign and d fellas rule.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
All yuh eh realize all yuh vote Kamla queen. Old Patos word coming to pass he said Kamla would reign and d fellas rule.

You keep comparing kamla and patos but they are both the same .... politicians that doh really give ah dam about the people that vote for them

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

You keep comparing kamla and patos but they are both the same .... politicians that doh really give ah dam about the people that vote for them

No thou try that this bunch ah jokers at a new level of nonesense. Patos and he bunch of buffons at least was running d country. I wuk education 4 8 yrs and 1 ting Hazel and even d dumbo Esther was able to insure that d majority of schools opened on time. D schools that were not going 2 open a press release would b sent way in front. What happen wit Tim Malick school had an electrical fire they repaint where was burnt. They try 2 put back d lights on and d whole of Malick went. All that and children turn up 2 school.

This is but 1 example where tings got worse since all yuh drink d koolaide and put this sorry bunch in power. I buckle up since May 24th 2010 4 d ride I know what happen 1995-2001 wit them so they could have never get me 2 vote 4 dem. So I steups and make sure d  PNM candidate get back he deposit because I live UNC country. Once is Kala etal is d option 2 d mottley crew that is d PNM I have no choice but go wit d Mottley crew.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:06:24 PM by weary1969 »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »

I did not refer to the collective but to Kamla and Patos, as TT says if it was not for Patos and his madness PNM probably would have still been in power.

Esther taught me in school and she is no dumbo.
 I played Hockey with Mariano and he is as good as they come and I have interacted at various levels with other ministers and senior PNM people.
If it was not for madman who did not care about what people were telling him and his absolute ruler type governance PNM would be still in power.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
Although Patrick got carried away, i think he genuinely wanted good for the country.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »

I did not refer to the collective but to Kamla and Patos, as TT says if it was not for Patos and his madness PNM probably would have still been in power.

Esther taught me in school and she is no dumbo.
 I played Hockey with Mariano and he is as good as they come and I have interacted at various levels with other ministers and senior PNM people.
If it was not for madman who did not care about what people were telling him and his absolute ruler type governance PNM would be still in power.

When Esther taught u she probably had sense. When she was the Minister of Education she was total buffoon. Anybody who could wake up 1 Monday morning and decide to name a school Aranquez or Arima South Secondary cyah b 2 bright. That we continue 2 harp on Patrick shows we eh understand thathe may have been arrogant and high handed but guess what d country was being run. All yuh blinded by patrick and he arrogance is y we have Queen Kamla at d helm. So continue 2 study Patrick d way we practice d Westminister system is d problem. Eric, Robbie, Panday all of them had a my way or d high way attitude. Robbie the only PM I ever voted for an eh steups tell Public Servants no amount of marching and shouting will change anyting. That is arrogance people say Abu should have killed him now he is held in high regard. even Sammy in this thread sayin Patos wanted d best 4 d country. U cyah say that bout Kamla and she bunch of croonies.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
Well boy, like ah eh too far off from the truth where the PM is concerned in all this!!!....she either trying to take she self out now that the shit hit the fan or she really firetrucking clueless....and the latter scares me more than the former......

Section 34 imbroglio...
Secret prevents PM from taking action

A dirty little secret in relation to corruption charges being slapped against two former People’s National Movement ministers is said to be one of the main reasons why Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is hesitant to take decisive action following the Section 34 imbroglio. But sources say while decisive action was taken against Mary King and Collin Partap, some Cabinet members are arguing that the greater good would be to protect the Government from the implications of any fallout if such action is taken.

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister, Sunday Guardian learned, has confided in close allies that she was duped into believing the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011 was aimed at easing the backlog of cases before the nation’s courts and not intended to pave the way to freedom for United National Congress financiers, Ish Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson.

A Cabinet source told the Sunday Guardian that while Section 34 of the controversial act has been repealed, the Prime Minister remains disturbed by the turn of the events. “The Prime Minister is very upset over what transpired. The Prime Minister was taken by surprise by the controversial clause, but moved to immediately correct what happened. She wasted absolutely no time,” the Cabinet source said.

The Sunday Guardian understands several members of the Cabinet have also expressed concern over the impact the turn of events could have on the Government and have suggested to the Prime Minister that tough decisions may have to be made.

Conspiracy?
It is said that the rush to have the controversial clause proclaimed was part of a conspiracy to have the fraud charges arising out of the Piarco Airport scandal dropped. An alleged conspiracy, according to well-placed sources, also led to former PNM government ministers Franklin Khan and Eric Williams facing the courts when corruption charges surfaced more than nine years ago. The charges against both ministers were dropped owing to unreliable evidence that failed to demonstrate a prima facie case.

A current government official was fingered as the mastermind in that conspiracy. Police refused to say yesterday whether that matter is still engaging the attention of investigators. It is alleged the plot came about because an official had stopped receiving jobs due to the change of board members at National Petroleum when Khan was appointed Energy Minister under the Patrick Manning government.

The plot was allegedly hatched at a beach resort in Mayaro and a document was drafted implicating Khan and Williams in accepting bribes and seismic contracts. Copies of the correspondence were also forwarded to Kamla Persad-Bissessar as the Siparia MP, who read out the contents of one of the letters during a sitting of Parliament in April 2005. Persad-Bissessar told Parliament she had found the letter in her mailbox.

On the basis of the allegations, Manning referred the letter to former attorney general John Jeremie, who handed it over to the Integrity Commission for investigation by Assistant Commissioner of Police Wellington Virgil of the Special Branch. Both Khan and Williams were subsequently charged but later freed. Investigations revealed the letter was suspect. Several text messages sent to the Prime Minister seeking responses remained unanswered up to yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-09-16/secret-prevents-pm-taking-action
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:26:00 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
It gets better, somebody have to lose they wuk for this. The shitty excuses the AG giving is pure bullshit. I doh believe Kamla that dotish though
Youtube Channel

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »
“The Prime Minister is very upset over what transpired. The Prime Minister was taken by surprise by the controversial clause, but moved to immediately correct what happened. She wasted absolutely no time,”

As a Senior Counsel, it is incredible to learn that Kamla was "surprised". All members of the cabinet should be aware of implications of any bill they are passing. But in the case of complex legal ramifications, it must be the responsibility of those with legal minds to educate and guide the non legal members. So, either the PM is a lousy lawyer,( in which case, why was she awarded silk?)  or she knew! There is no winning position for her here.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
Oho! De lawyer rocking silk now.....is de same lawyer who was acting on behalf of a former councillor who have the same initials as a former chelsea striker ent? I remember hearing bout that "plot".

So since it is alleged that he was involved in dis....and dat......why the reluctance? Wha's the secret? Unless our esteemed PM have cocoa in de sun too...dis shouldnt be an issue ent?

We look for dat.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:31:24 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
CCN TV6 ‏@tv6tnt
PNM plans 'mass mobilisation' to press Govt to explain premature declaration of Section 34 and press AG, Volney to resign

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »
Volney verbal volley to voters

http://www.wired868.com/2012/09/16/volney-verbal-volley-to-voters/
Posted Sunday 16 September 2012 by Mr. Live Wire in Good Morning

Justice Minister Herbert Volney was identified in today’s Sunday Express as the Cabinet official responsible for the proclamation of the controversial Clause 34 of the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011.

Thankfully, the St Joseph MP had an explanation for the hasty proclamation of that clause, which he shared with the Trinidad Guardian.

“You know unless there is certainty in introducing change and in this case unless a date was fixed certain for the operationlising of the new system,” said Volney. “No one would take preparing for it seriously.

“In order to facilitate that it was necessary for the legislation act to be proclaimed in part so that governance would recognise the existence of the need in a live statute, because when a statute is enacted and requires a proclamation, it gets its life from the proclamation.”

All cleared up then. Mr Live Wire is anxious to hear the St Joseph MP repeat that explanation to his constituents at the next general elections.

Not that Volney thinks he would be required to.

“It is a ten-day wonder, if as long,” said Volney, of the clause that might have freed without trial several persons charged with stealing millions in taxpayers’ money.

If a public does indeed get the government it deserves, Trinidad and Tobago citizens must have a collective fetish for S&M.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:03:50 PM by Bourbon »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Hahaha
Youtube Channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
I'm no wiser from reading that guardian article. It seems to be conceived in rumour  and comments made by a 'source.' I say this not to dismiss it outright but to acknowledge that this story has been given the latitude to gain plausibility because the Prime Minister has refused to speak on the issue at all. What's more is that if it is valid it is grave indictment on the way we do business. That KPB has been silent and her two ministers responsible for this debacle are still in the employ of the State is preposterous. 

1]; } ?>