April 24, 2024, 06:11:34 PM

Author Topic: Robert Mugabe 'says Jamaican men only interested in smoking dope and singing'  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Robert Mugabe 'says Jamaican men only interested in smoking dope and singing'
By Aislinn Laing, Johannesburg2:47PM BST 13 Sep 2012
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/9541062/Robert-Mugabe-says-Jamaican-men-only-interested-in-smoking-dope-and-singing.html

Zimbabwe's president Robert Mugabe has sparked an angry reaction in Jamaica after he reportedly said that their men were only interested in smoking dope and singing all day.
Mr Mugabe, 88, is said to have made the undiplomatic comments in an unscripted aside during a three-hour speech at a research exposition in Harare.
"In Jamaica, they have freedom to smoke cannabis, the men are always high and universities are full of women," he is reported by the Zimbabwean Daily News to have said.
"The men want to sing and do not go to colleges, some of them twist their hair. Let us not go there."
The comments provoked fierce debate in the Jamaican papers and on radio chat shows, and brought criticism from the country's foreign minister who insisted his countrymen were "law abiding".
"Jamaican men and women from all walks of life have made valuable contributions to national development and have made their mark on the world stage," AJ Nicholson told the Jamaican Gleaner newspaper.

Christopher Tufton, the opposition spokesman on foreign affairs, said that if Mr Mugabe had such a low opinion of the Jamaicans, he should be asked to hand back the Order of Jamaica award conferred on him during a state visit to the island in 1996.
"I think that he should be called on to provide an explanation as to what he meant. It's inappropriate and, frankly speaking, rude. He should apologise to the Jamaican people," he said.
But others suggested Mr Mugabe's comments should prompt Jamaicans to do some soul-searching, pointing out that the island is the largest producer of marijuana in the Caribbean.
"Certainly, President Robert Mugabe's observation that our 'universities are full of women' while our men 'want to sing and do not go to colleges' is a truism, which none can deny," Vincent Peterkin, a Northern Caribbean University Administrator wrote in a letter to the Gleaner.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

PM Lashes Back At Mugabe
Published: Friday | September 14, 2012 66 Comments
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120914/lead/lead1.html

PRIME MINISTER Portia Simpson Miller yesterday described as "disrespectful and misguided" controversial comments made by Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe about Jamaican men, but Opposition Leader Andrew Holness says Jamaica's head of government has not gone far enough.

In fact, Holness wants the Government of Jamaica to demand an apology from the African leader.

A week after Mugabe's comments triggered intense public debate, Simpson Miller hit back saying the Zimbabwean leader's remarks were untrue.

Mugabe had last week Wednesday labelled Jamaican men as underachievers who get high on ganja, drunk on alcohol, refuse to go to college and spend time twisting their hair.

Simpson Miller yesterday said Mugabe's statement was disrespectful to the hundreds of thousands of Jamaican men who are excellent fathers, professionals and outstanding citizens.

In a statement from the Office of the Prime Minister, Simpson Miller said Mugabe's remarks, "regardless of whether they were spoken 'in jest' as was stated" in Wednesday's edition of the New Zimbabwe, "were grossly unfortunate, misguided and untrue".

The newspaper article indicated that the president of Zimbabwe was thought to have been speaking in jest.

It took eight days, since the president's controversial remarks, for Jamaica House to confirm through "exhaustive checks" by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade that Mugabe made the uncomplimentary comments about Jamaican men at the launch of a 2012 Research and Intellectual Institute Expo in the Zimbabwean capital, Harare.

Not global sentiments

Said Simpson Miller: "We are confident that the remarks of President Mugabe do not represent the sentiments of the people of Zimbabwe, other African countries and the rest of the world."

She added: "Our confidence is predicated on the fact that there are many outstanding and globally accepted examples of the character and contribution of Jamaican men who have set the benchmark as exceptional achievers."

However, Holness suggested that the prime minister's statement on the issue was inadequate.

"We should send an official letter of protest and ask for an apology in expressing our disgust and dissatisfaction at the statement," the opposition leader insisted.

He argued that Mugabe's utterances could have international implications, noting that people who read his comments in the Zimbabwean press could form a particular view about Jamaicans.

"We have Brand Jamaica to protect and that statement is certainly not helping Brand Jamaica," Holness stressed.

He said at the time Mugabe's comments were made, there was no clarification to suggest they were made in jest.

"If it were said in jest and there is an acknowledgement that the comments created, 'to use a euphemism, discomfort' for Jamaicans or were untrue, then it should not be a difficulty for Mr Mugabe to apologise. Indeed, the apology should be automatic."

Holness said the prime minister should also consider reviewing the membership in the Order of Jamaica given to Mugabe.

"I think the PM should take a look at it ... the terms on which the order was given and to see whether or not his record actually deserves having the order."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Silliness. It's Robert Mugabe.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

For real, locals call him coconut
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
serious talk dey .. di man nuh lie..nuff yard man jes wah smoke , drink , and chant.. a true thing dat.. many many Jamaican man cya read or f**king write at all... and no Joke dat. Mi know for a fact big man like elephantman jes started learning to read bout 6 years ago.. nuff nuff artist mi know cya read or write.. Di truth does hurt but the man no lie dey nuff yardman cya spell dey f**king name .. allyuh ever look up the stats on education in Jamaica?  trust me serious talk by Robert mugabe dey.. di man no lie .. by standard 5 nuff Yardman does drop out school , while at the age of 16 nuff a di gal pregnant ... is a serious thing in yard .. dem nuh like education at all .....
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
serious talk dey .. di man nuh lie..nuff yard man jes wah smoke , drink , and chant.. a true thing dat.. many many Jamaican man cya read or f**king write at all... and no Joke dat. Mi know for a fact big man like elephantman jes started learning to read bout 6 years ago.. nuff nuff artist mi know cya read or write.. Di truth does hurt but the man no lie dey nuff yardman cya spell dey f**king name .. allyuh ever look up the stats on education in Jamaica?  trust me serious talk by Robert mugabe dey.. di man no lie .. by standard 5 nuff Yardman does drop out school , while at the age of 16 nuff a di gal pregnant ... is a serious thing in yard .. dem nuh like education at all .....
war
You getting worst and worst with each waking day, just now yuh go take the title from elan and frico out right.

FYI jamaica have nuff educated men on that island. doctors, barristers,  business men,  engineers, pilots, professors, marine biologist, plenty plenty. IMO every caribbean islands have the same record, there are dunces and educated people, mugabee is fackin stereo typing.

in his country there's loads of thieves who go to neighboring south africa and menace the public, i doh see know body jumping through hoops to hire his people, and for sure they are in a worst position than jamaican men. as for women out numbering men on a university level, that holds true for most black societies.

man fack that dictator, he living in glass house and throwing bolders!

as for illiteracy in JA, nuff ah the trini yute who just started migrating here in the same boat, they cyar read and they dunce bad bad bad! every little thing does offend them, that's bc they are illiterate, so they are insecure, it's not just yard alone, it's the whole caribbean that slippin.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:23:56 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

Exactly .

Mr Mugabe, 88, is said to have made the undiplomatic comments in an unscripted aside during a three-hour speech at a research exposition in Harare.
The PM shouldn't have even dignified it with a response.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
war
What's amazing is you wear a green shirt with "Jamaica" emblazoned on the front yet you are as ignorant as Mugabe.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:00:25 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Exactly .

The PM shouldn't have even dignified it with a response.

... and they have called into question the wisdom of having conferred a national honour upon him (regardless of the polictical party under whose watch it occurred, the decision accrues to Jamaica).

Politics is often about survival until the weekend. However, diplomacy must take a longer view.

I'm surprised that Chris Tufton got drawn in by this. Portia? Not so much.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:52:33 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
war
What's amazing is you wear a green shirt with "Jamaica" emblazoned on the front yet you are as ignorant as Mugabe.
Jah dais di problem wid Trini's true facking talk is true facking talk, dais no ignorant.. ..  Di man no lie is true talk ...  when you talking truth and it offends people is because it pertains to them .. there is no easy way to say it.. Just like I say many times.. trinidadians yute nowadays wutless to f**k all dey want to do is drink rum and commit crimes...  I wrong for saying dat? I ignorant? dais just plain talk wid no bad manners......  Trini's have to stop being so thin Skin and realise not because a man criticise someone he hates dat person , he is racist, or he is ignorant. we all do it . I have learn to live wid criticism  and mi nuh care , everyone have a right to express the way he or she feals without some asshole thinking he should not say dat because he is racist, ignorant  or whatever else.. people need fi stop  being thin skin and learnn to respect other people believes . It might sound dumb to you , but trust me I been to yard , i live there and I had to get out because people no like f**king education. They rather pick up a gun and rome the streets than get sum education... some of them big big artist no even pass standard 3 and no lie dat serious talk.... just like the day mi sey Jamaicans dont like soca because its  joyfull music and nuff of dem live depress live , dat dont mean sey mi hate Jamican people.  Dais wey I feal from being around dem for many many years...  Jes like di other day a whitebwoy hit mi a had slap telling mi bout "trinidad? dat place you need a body guard to walk di streets di only thing good about that place is the wheather, dat place is a dump pile" mi nuh cuss out di man, dais he opinion.. anyway to those  who like trace di Indian like sey dem a woman ,  if mi nuh respeond to your hate mail or comments  is because mi nuh see it .. yu gone pon mi ignore list cya mi nuh like Faggots, ediats, ugly people , and ediats who dnt like Indian people, so doh dig no horrors, mi jes no wah read yu comments.
 war
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:00:35 PM by warmonga »
Black Lives Matter..

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mugabe 'says Jamaican men only interested in smoking dope and singing'
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 09:36:16 PM »
War ... no lie eh ... yuh ketch my attention at "pertains".

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mugabe 'says Jamaican men only interested in smoking dope and singing'
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »
dais true talk though dread.. if a man say something that touch you nerve, or bother you  or offend you, then di man mussi talking truth... I love mi yardie dem but true talk and no bad manners nuff a dem wutless to bloodclawt and samething wid di trini dem..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
dais true talk though dread.. if a man say something that touch you nerve, or bother you  or offend you, then di man mussi talking truth... I love mi yardie dem but true talk and no bad manners nuff a dem wutless to bloodclawt and samething wid di trini dem..
war
Would some body tell this racist indian tuh STFU aready!!!!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »
war
Would some body tell this racist indian tuh STFU aready!!!!!
he eh racist....he wish he was black.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>