March 28, 2024, 12:50:50 PM

Author Topic: My latest Novel  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
My latest Novel
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
My latest Novel
folks,
I have a new novel out on the shelves.
It is titled "Across from Lapeyrouse"

It is available:
On Amazon (worldwide) for KINDLE and in paperback

Barnes and Noble for NOOK and in paperback

personally autographed copies available at:
Commess University
(supplies running low for the paperback!)

also in Toronto at:
A Different Booklist

in Trinidad at:
Paper Based Bookshop
Reader's Bookshop
Tales 'N Treasures

Overview
Jeneva is growing into a startling beauty, but she's not your typical young girl; she's the youngest of the Savanoys, a high profile Trinidadian family. Her father is the chief of police; her mother: beautiful, talented, tormented and distant. Her protective older brother can't shield her from life's bruises if he can't deal with his own fears. And Jeneva herself is growing into a testing adulthood, full of uncertainty and sudden lust, shining moments and stifling tension.

Hers is a family with secrets, and they are not the only ones. Everyone wears masks as intriguing, as deceptive and as weighty as the elaborate masquerade costumes the Savanoy Carnival Group creates each year to compete in Trinidad's Dimanche Gras Competition. And as each secret is revealed, Jeneva faces difficult decisions, adventure, heart break and some seriously sizzling sex.

Author Nathalie Taghaboni deftly weaves the lives of her characters in and out of the pulsing Caribbean culture. The glorious street theatre that is Trinidad Carnival is a fitting backdrop for the drama that Jeneva seems to attract.

critical review:
Never before has carnival, sand, soca and sex met in such a combustible mixture! Across From Lapeyrouse conjures it all as we fall in love with Jeneva Marie, the queen of the bands. The Savanoy family lives large in the pages of this trail blazing work by a Trini expat. You can hear the twang and see the streets of Port of Spain and Toronto as the story unveils with brilliant style and shrewd story telling.

Hope you folks grab a copy and read. Let me know what you think! The book has its own facebook page or you can review it on Amazon/Barnes and Noble!

thank you

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: My latest Novel
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »
Well look I learn more about you in 5 minutes than ah learnt in five years... congrats on the new book!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:02:09 PM »
Great stuff!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »
nice, nice

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/lifestyle/2012-09-13/romance-writing-alive-and-well-tt

It's kinda hard for an author to hide but I hid quite well for years while writing a newspaper column under this nom de plume. But once my first book hit back in 2007, it became increasingly difficult to do so. This latest book is under my real name and now my whole baxide is out in the road.
All I can do now is keep it tidy... :rotfl:

Hope you all will spread the word and support yours truly.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/lifestyle/2012-09-13/romance-writing-alive-and-well-tt

Romance writing alive and well in T&T
Published: Friday, September 14, 2012
Bobie-lee Dixon

Romance, tragedy, a simply sweet love story, shame and scandal in the family, bacchanal, commess and sex at its best have been depicted in thousands of romance novels for generations. And thanks to a new group of local authors like Roslyn Carrington, Ariti Jankie, Narisha Khan and Nathalie Taghaboni there are modern additions to the Caribbean romance genre.

Romance novel readers can find a good read in books like Taghaboni’s Tales From Ice-box Land and her latest, Across From Lapeyrouse—a book she describes as “commess, mas and sizzling sex.” Then there are Carrington’s many love stories which also include themes such as family, redemption and self-discovery. But does the public patronise the work of these local writers? According to Metropolitan Book Supplies who has long supported the work of local writers, they do. In an interview with the T&T Guardian, a representative said they continue to carry the books because people actually buy them. However, Ishmael M Khan and Sons does exactly the opposite as not much material in the category is available. Others like Mohammed’s Book Store and RIK say they once carried such books by local authors but they no longer do, because not enough material is available.

Local writers’ challenge

Is it easy for local writers to get their material out on the international market or even accepted locally? US-based Taghaboni says it isn’t. She described it as “difficult and frustrating.” “Not only is it difficult in getting the mainstream publishing world to acknowledge Caribbean writers, but they are also faced with dismissal by Caribbean publishers unless the work sounds and feels mainstream,” she said. Taghaboni, who now runs her own publishing company, said some on the international scene still believe that Caribbean writers are not literate. “To add insult to injury, I recently had one T&T bookseller tell me that ‘Trinidadians don’t read and when they do, they prefer foreign fiction’. “Publishing a book is very costly especially if the book is going to be of the highest quality. Unless T&T booksellers become serious about the work of local writers, the difficulty will remain,” said Taghaboni.

Carrington was also fortunate to have not experienced the challenges many local writers face. This is down to her agent who is based in the United States. "Everything fell into place for me. My agent ... has one of the most sought-after agencies in the US and continues to manage and represent my US affairs." Carrington said a local writer would probably have to do that all on their own which can be challenging. "I think the Internet has opened up the world to local writers, as we no longer have to do like the Selvons and Lovelaces and travel to be published. "The challenges now are probably more due to the shrinking market and the large publishing conglomerates dictating what is published and by whom, but e-publishing has changed that and has put the power back into the hands of the self-published author," she added. Director of Paria Publishing, Dominic Besson agrees that it might be a bit more difficult for a self-publisher because of the costs incurred but depends largely on the type of publication.

"In publishing material you have to consider the details like print quality, design layout, illustrations, colour etc," said Besson.

He added, cost of production usually offsets the cost of quantity, that is if you print 100 hundred books the cost of production will be more than the cost of those actual 100 books. He said offset printing is very costly locally and as a result, can often deter writers, especially young and upcoming ones. He advised that before going to a publishing company, the author should do the research on the process of publishing so that they can come prepared.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

It's kinda hard for an author to hide but I hid quite well for years while writing a newspaper column under this nom de plume. But once my first book hit back in 2007, it became increasingly difficult to do so. This latest book is under my real name and now my whole baxide is out in the road.

Ah still digesting... gimmih 'til de morning when food settle nuh?  ;D

I know what yuh mean though... last 5 years or so I fighting tuh keep de cloak of anonymity on mih shoulders.  Harder as public and private lives continue to mesh.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »
 :beermug:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »
Bakes, just doh visualize, you should be good to go!

Thanks all. But doh forget, talk is one ting, but we authors need you to BUY the book and THEN talk!!

Nice?  :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »

I have too pick this book up. I will spread the word. Best of luck

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
looking forward to feed back from y'all!
It is not strictly a romance and from what I'm told by the males who have read it, it can possibly appeal to men too.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:35:10 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
I have read it months ago and loved it. Loved the suspense and build up to the climax. Loved the mystery in the title. Loved the Tobago ting. Enjoyed it. I've been a fan of your writing for years now. I have spread the word.

Went to a Caribbean Book Reading last night at St. Francis college here in Brooklyn. Lovelace and others were there and read portions of their work. Loved it.

BTW this weekend is Brooklyn Book Festival. Downtown, Court Street. Don't miss it
As a fellow writer, I enjoy great writing.

All the best
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
awww man, thanks Cocorite!  :-[ ah blushing!
Book two is well underway and I hope to release it, at least in e-version, by mid 2013! Carlton and helene mash up the place, and Gloria..well...boy...commess...troo troo.. :devil:

Heard about the Brooklyn lit fest. Wish I were there!
point me in the direction of your writing please?

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
Well more of an aspiring writer. . .and more non-fiction. First book was on faith, "Informed Faith: From The Unseen To The Undeniable" for the thinking person. Available at Amazon. I've published in peer reviewed journals. Second book is practically done on the topic of the influence of a father in his kids lives. Interviewed 100 New York City residents and crafted a book out of research and my own human call for a fatherly mentor. The third book is a collection of short stories about growing up in T&T set during the 70's. Papa Yo. Look Ting. I'm about half way through that. I'm just having fun and playing with the people language.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 07:41:57 AM »
I'm pleased to report that I now have 12 copies left...after that, I am personally sold out!
yaaaay!
(and yes, I printed more than 12...steupse)

Cocorite, stay the course. If I didn't write I'd drink...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
I'm pleased to report that I now have 12 copies left...after that, I am personally sold out!
yaaaay!
(and yes, I printed more than 12...steupse)

Cocorite, stay the course. If I didn't write I'd drink...

Lol... congrats.

... but what kinda bajan 'steupse' is dat? :D

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »

Is the onlyest steupse I have...spitty and ting.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:20 PM »

Is the onlyest steupse I have...spitty and ting.

Mih bajan friends are de only ones I ever see spell it like that lol

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 05:33:47 AM »
maybe they spell it like me?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
maybe they spell it like me?

Whatever... I think we need to check yuh passport  :Police:

The book available in any of the e-book formats?

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
My passport says STEUPSE too  ;D

It is available:

Commess University

If you don't have a kindle or nook, you can go to www.commessuniversitycom and order a simple e-verson.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:16:51 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
I am embarrassed to report that I missed a whole box of books and actually have 40 copies left, not 12.
steupse...

:clown:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
My passport says STEUPSE too  ;D

It is available:

Commess University

If you don't have a kindle or nook, you can go to www.commessuniversitycom and order a simple e-verson.

Cool, today was mom's birthday... I think is time to add to her Nook library anyways, will check it out.

Online gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
Always down for supporting TT writers. Much respect Queen!

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
Bakes, guys have read it and quite liked it. It isn't exclusively chick lit.
True, there's no sci-fi and the deaths aren't from scud missiles, but still...lol

GoP, thanks eh, I appreciate the support.  :beermug:

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 01:00:27 PM »
Review in the Trinidad Guardian today.
If possible, please leave a comment. Thanks for the support!  :beermug:

http://www.guardian.co.tt/book-club/2012-10-20/more-romance

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
 :applause:  :beermug:

Across the world, still from yaad … (http://www.meppublishers.com/content/index.php/across-the-world-still-from-yaad/)

Thwarted love, high mas and family bacchanal under a Trinidad sky … that’s one of the ways to describe Nathalie Taghaboni’s second book, a Caribbean novel called Across From Lapeyrouse. It follows the coming of age of Jeneva Savanoy and all the romance, personal growth and just plain drama that comes with that. This book is a great read, but Taghaboni herself is just as fascinating and funny as her books: a Trini raised in Toronto, Canada, living in the US with her Iranian husband of 20 years and two children and causing all kinds of bacchanal on her Facebook page daily.  Find out for yourself …

MEP: You’re a Trini living in Ohio … Exactly how much does your ‘West Indianess’ stand out?

NT: The image of a fish out of water comes to mind, or perhaps a hummingbird in a flock of pelicans. Folks here in my little town often do not know what to make of me. And to add wood to fire, I am not the ‘blend in’ type. So armed with my Holy Name Convent accent, British spelling and saga-girl attitude, I stand out and don’t mind it one bit.

MEP: In addition to being an author, you’re also an entrepreneur: the owner of Commess University. What does the company do?

Commess University (also referred to as Commess University Press) is a full service, independent publishing company. Our focus is on self publishing authors. Our strength is Caribbean-centric work. Getting published is a daunting task. Commess University strives to take the angst out of the process while allowing the client to make the decisions.

MEP: Aside from your books, you’re also well-known in the Diaspora for uniquely witty writing in Trinidad dialect. Isn’t that against all the rules of writing for an international audience?

NT: Rules? RULES?? Lemme at ‘em!

I’ve learned that today’s savvy readers are willing to overlook the rules if the writer has the ability to communicate a compelling story. For me to do so in Trini Speak, I needed to break some rules.

I’ve been criticized for this. A reader or two has accused me of making us “look uneducated” by writing the way I do. But for me, the Trini Speak, the languages of each the Caribbean islands are so very rich in nuance and metaphor that to standardise it feels like murder.

It’s not an accent. It is an actual, living, vibrant, colourful communication, with references and inferences that would vanish were we to slap the taste out of it by applying rules. I can conjugate a steupse*, no mean feat.

MEP: In Across From Lapeyrouse, you’re writing about music and mas, romance and family drama in Trinidad and Tobago. But you haven’t been back to the Caribbean for several years. How does that work?

NT: I left Trinidad shortly after Columbus landed so yes, it has been a long time. But Trinidad and Tobago isn’t simply where I am from. It is who I am and I packed it in my grip when I left. The more I traipsed about, the more I understood how wonderful my own heritage is.

MEP: How have West Indians and non-West Indians responded to the book?

NT: The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Even non-Trinidadians saw the mas, felt the music and fell in love with the characters. One gentleman wrote to say that he is “married to someone like Gloria.”Another gentleman wrote to me and said he read the novel on a flight to a business meeting and shed unashamed tears. I am quite pleased to note how many of my readers are male.

MEP: We hear whispers about a sequel that looks more closely at the talented and tragic Gloria Savanoy. Tell us about it.

NT: I don’t want to spoil it for anyone but when you read Across From Lapeyrouse, it is clear that Gloria Savanoy has a story. Something is making her tick when she should tock and that something is buried deep. She is perhaps my most difficult character because her story is a tough, harsh one. But one of the things I insisted on when I first began the story of the Savanoys is that it must be as real and as close to life as possible.

I am taking my time telling her story in the sequel and working with a couple of people who know what Gloria went through. A huge part of the difficulty with painting Gloria’s picture is in making her darkness and brittle insanity ring true. It drains me – although some would insist that my writing about insanity should be a non-issue.

MEP: Who would play you in a movie about your life?

NT: I want to say Halle Berry eh, but no one would believe it. I’d like to choose a local actress for the part. Someone who can step into the role and very little coaching is needed for them to exude the rhythm in the walk and the unique humour we own. Let me come home and hold a casting call. I’ll know her when she walks in.

*Steupse – the uniquely West Indian habit of sucking or ‘kissing’ the teeth to convey contempt.

Across From Lapeyrouse is available on Amazon.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
Lawd... 20 years and dah man eh tired ah you yet?  Yuh musse know how tuh hook up ah mean Chelow Kebab nah?

Oh yeah... just purchased the Nook book  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:13:35 PM by Bakes »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:29 AM »
dais de problem with this famous authoress business....dey does put all yuh personal business out in de road.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
Twenty years this past September and going strong. It's sweet to be married to someone you respect and love and rather than fade, it grows stronger.
...kebabs notwithstanding.. ;D

Yeah Dutts, I took a long time before deciding to write this thing under my own name. I was stalked once or twice even under my nom de plume and I knew it would put my business in the road but...it's a price to pay for what I do. I was chastised for "hiding my light under a bushel." So, here I am, warts and all.. :beermug:

Let's hope the sickos back off a lil bit.

hope y'all stop by the MEP link above and put your comments. Writers live off feedback.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:32:37 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

1]; } ?>