April 25, 2024, 07:32:54 PM

Author Topic: Afro-Trinis so this is the new direction of T&T future ?  (Read 5582 times)

AirMan

Afro-Trinis so this is the new direction of T&T future ?
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »
taken from another site

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Afro-Trinis so this is the new direction of T&T future ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
STUEPS not even going to take this bait.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »
taken from another site

lol. Even though this aint no laughing matter... Look at the woman holding the pad. She look astonished as hell.

AirMan

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »

when will Trinis wake up ?

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
Im disgusted at this pic and Ill leave it at that  >:(
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
lord

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »
Here is the story that above photo relates to.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/politics/0,166467.html

Woman kisses Moonilal’s shoe
By DARCEL CHOY Thursday, September 20 2012

IN A show of respect and appreciation commonplace in Hindu society, a woman yesterday bowed and kissed the shoe of Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal after she received a cheque from him, to repair her home in Morvant which was damaged after heavy rains in August.

Bernadine George was overcome with emotion as she was handed the cheque and dropped to her knees and kissed Moonilal’s shoe at the cheque distribution ceremony in Diego Martin. A surprised Moonilal quickly pulled George up from the ground and hugged her.

Later, George told Newsday she was so grateful to Moonilal and his ministry for giving her some much needed help. On August 23, following heavy rainfall, the roof of her house at Second Caledonia which she shares with her daughter Sparkle and her two grandsons, was blown off and rain destroyed most of her furniture and appliances.

Since the incident, George said she and her family have been staying at her sister’s home nearby. Her daughter Sparkle said while they were thankful for all the help their family provided, they can’t wait to start rebuilding so they can return to their own home.

“Home is where we want to be so as soon as we can. We are going to start with a new roof and rebuilding two rooms. The rains really damaged our home which is old to start with. Rebuilding will be done piece by piece and hopefully we will get everything done by Christmas,” Sparkle said.

In his address to the homeowners, Moonilal explained that his ministry will distribute cheques to over 100 beneficiaries of the Emergency Shelter Relief Programme, totalling $1.8 million.

The cheques distributed yesterday ranged from $7,000 to $30,000 and was based on assessments of individuals needs.

He said the programme was established to bring about short term relief for those who have experienced sudden emergencies arising from disasters which rendered their homes uninhabitable.

“The grant provides immediate funding to carry out urgent remedial work. Our ministry has varied the standard amount of the home improvement grant funding for the purpose of home repairs and renovations which is normally $15,000. Though the amount won’t satisfy all the needs, we hope it will help in a meaningful way,” Moonilal said.

Meanwhile, three families who still occupy the Diego Martin shelter after their homes were damaged by heavy rains on August 11, are still waiting for assistance.

Samantha Silva lives at the shelter with her parents David Cemento and Patricia Silva-Cemento and son Justin Gonzales. She said it is difficult to hear that other people are getting help while they continue to stay at the shelter.

“It has been five weeks and counting, we can’t stay here for much longer. All we are asking is for a home. Somewhere we can rent and hopefully own in the future because we can’t return home. The land behind our house will continue to come down everytime it rains. It is too dangerous for us. We need help,” she pleaded.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
Why Afro-Trinis  ??? and not Trinis/bagonians (Sugar)  ???   For anyone this is very telling.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »

To what?  One woman get carried away with joy and Trinis need to wake up?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »

That's the problem, some folks are too quick to generalise!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »

Thank you
Youtube Channel

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »

Many people got cheques from Moonilal.. The question is this, why was this picture published? I am pretty sure there are other pictures of other beneficiaries receiving cheques. But this one has meaning behind it. There is no conspiracy, but rather creativity in telling a story with a picture. To me, this picture tells us who has power in T&T.. And who doesn't have power...

This picture should be a wake up call. This is the position that Afri-Trinidad is in right now. No power.. Reliance on gov't assistance.. etc.. Moonilal or UNC never set up this pic..steups
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:21:28 PM by gawd on pitch »

AirMan

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »

Many people got cheques from Moonilal.. The question is this, why was this picture published? I am pretty sure there are other pictures of other beneficiaries receiving cheques. But this one has meaning behind it. There is no conspiracy, but rather creativity in telling a story with a picture. To me, this picture tells us who has power in T&T.. And who doesn't have power...

This picture should be a wake up call. This is the position that Afri-Trinidad is in right now. No power.. Reliance on gov't assistance
.. etc.. Moonilal or UNC never set up this pic..steups

boss its sad

AirMan

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
Here is the story that above photo relates to.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/politics/0,166467.html

Woman kisses Moonilal’s shoe
By DARCEL CHOY Thursday, September 20 2012

IN A show of respect and appreciation commonplace in Hindu society, a woman yesterday bowed and kissed the shoe of Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal after she received a cheque from him, to repair her home in Morvant which was damaged after heavy rains in August.

Bernadine George was overcome with emotion as she was handed the cheque and dropped to her knees and kissed Moonilal’s shoe at the cheque distribution ceremony in Diego Martin. A surprised Moonilal quickly pulled George up from the ground and hugged her.

Later, George told Newsday she was so grateful to Moonilal and his ministry for giving her some much needed help. On August 23, following heavy rainfall, the roof of her house at Second Caledonia which she shares with her daughter Sparkle and her two grandsons, was blown off and rain destroyed most of her furniture and appliances.

Since the incident, George said she and her family have been staying at her sister’s home nearby. Her daughter Sparkle said while they were thankful for all the help their family provided, they can’t wait to start rebuilding so they can return to their own home.

“Home is where we want to be so as soon as we can. We are going to start with a new roof and rebuilding two rooms. The rains really damaged our home which is old to start with. Rebuilding will be done piece by piece and hopefully we will get everything done by Christmas,” Sparkle said.

In his address to the homeowners, Moonilal explained that his ministry will distribute cheques to over 100 beneficiaries of the Emergency Shelter Relief Programme, totalling $1.8 million.

The cheques distributed yesterday ranged from $7,000 to $30,000 and was based on assessments of individuals needs.

He said the programme was established to bring about short term relief for those who have experienced sudden emergencies arising from disasters which rendered their homes uninhabitable.

“The grant provides immediate funding to carry out urgent remedial work. Our ministry has varied the standard amount of the home improvement grant funding for the purpose of home repairs and renovations which is normally $15,000. Though the amount won’t satisfy all the needs, we hope it will help in a meaningful way,” Moonilal said.

Meanwhile, three families who still occupy the Diego Martin shelter after their homes were damaged by heavy rains on August 11, are still waiting for assistance.

Samantha Silva lives at the shelter with her parents David Cemento and Patricia Silva-Cemento and son Justin Gonzales. She said it is difficult to hear that other people are getting help while they continue to stay at the shelter.

“It has been five weeks and counting, we can’t stay here for much longer. All we are asking is for a home. Somewhere we can rent and hopefully own in the future because we can’t return home. The land behind our house will continue to come down everytime it rains. It is too dangerous for us. We need help,” she pleaded.

Is the woman Hindu ?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »

This picture should be a wake up call. This is the position that Afri-Trinidad is in right now. No power.. Reliance on gov't assistance.. etc.. Moonilal or UNC never set up this pic..steups

Allyuh jokers can't be serious... "creativity in telling story"?? Dude, the picture is the story.  The photographer had nothing to do but snap the shot... the woman and her actions is what makes the story.  What bullshit 'creativity' talk yuh coming with?  I does try to be patient but not when man on here trying to push ah divisive agenda.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:42 PM »
Is the woman Hindu ?

What does her being Hindu or not have to do with anything?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:37:05 PM »
How does one woman action reflect the state of Afro Trinis in the country? Come out and say what alyuh want to say nah. But using the pic a little bit too much.
Youtube Channel

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »

Allyuh jokers can't be serious... "creativity in telling story"?? Dude, the picture is the story.  The photographer had nothing to do but snap the shot... the woman and her actions is what makes the story.  What bullshit 'creativity' talk yuh coming with?  I does try to be patient but not when man on here trying to push ah divisive agenda.

Bakes, I know what you are saying. But I have a question. Do you think the photographer took pictures of others receiving cheques from Moonilal? Again, I not saying there is a conspiracy of some sort. But this type of picture is what is called "shock advertising".  This is used to stir emotions and tell a story. Let me ask you another question, do you think any Indians received cheques? If so, how come we arent seeing any of those pics... Again, pictures are published for a reason. Only few understand this multilayering of story telling that lies in visual communication. It exists all over the place.

Semiotics
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:43:04 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
How does one woman action reflect the state of Afro Trinis in the country? Come out and say what alyuh want to say nah. But using the pic a little bit too much.

Symbolism D.H.W... Semiotics.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Ok what now? Enjoy the ride till next election.
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 08:47:18 PM »
Bakes, I know what you are saying. But I have a question. Do you think the photographer took pictures of others receiving cheques from Moonilal? Again, I not saying there is a conspiracy of some sort. But this type of picture is what is called "shock advertising".  This is used to stir emotions and tell a story. Let me ask you another question, do you think any Indians received cheques? If so, how come we arent seeing any of those pics... Again, pictures are published for a reason. Only few understand this multilayering of story telling that lies in visual communication. It exists all over the place.

Semiotics

Dude... that woman coulda been green with horns and ah extra titty on she back.  From de moment she bend down on de ground that was making front page.  Ent no setta "layering" going on here.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 08:49:39 PM »
People will see what they want to see, that's the moral of the story.
Youtube Channel

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »

Semiotics

Dude... that woman coulda been green with horns and ah extra titty on she back.  From de moment she bend down on de ground that was making front page.  Ent no setta "layering" going on here.

But the fact is she isnt green with horns and an extra titty. Chances are she is living pretty close or under the poverty line. And Moonilal is in the position of power to make decisions that affect people occupying the same social location (class mainly) as her. Thats what that snapshot is capturing.

What are you afraid of hearing about Bakes?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:58:45 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
But the fact is she isnt green with horns and an extra titty. Chances are she is living pretty close or under the poverty line. And Moonilal is in the position of power to make decisions that affect people occupying the same social location (class mainly) as her. Thats what that snapshot is capturing.

Afraid?  I look like I afraid of anything... let alone shit talk?  I want to hear what this has to do with "Afro Trinis".  Maybe she and Roodal plan it... she will kiss he feet in a symbolic subjugation of Afro Trinis to Indo interests... not that there's a conspiracy  ::)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »

Afraid?  I look like I afraid of anything... let alone shit talk?  I want to hear what this has to do with "Afro Trinis".  Maybe she and Roodal plan it... she will kiss he feet in a symbolic subjugation of Afro Trinis to Indo interests... not that there's a conspiracy  ::)

Bakes, all I am saying is that this picture is conveying meaning about who is where in Trinidad. And yes, Afri Trinis are starting to occupy the lower echelons of the class structure more frequently than any other group in T&T. This pictures tells me and some of us that same narrative. Last, be cognizant that the pics along with the story are put together by editors who are not as naive as you think. They know what pictures along with story can garner the most attention. Journalism is a science now. It s deeper than just taking "one picture" and writing about it. Its so Political too.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYvf8h1O5Xs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uYvf8h1O5Xs</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 11:53:05 PM »
Steupsss, the woman only doing what she saw her prime minster did.   ;D 

all jokes aside though, this is not good, but who am i to judge this chick, after all, i have ah home and things are good, so i cyar vex with she if someone gave her a home or the means to repair what was lost of her home.

like sharks said, maybe her became over whelmed with emotions.   

God be praised.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 08:17:07 AM »

Semiotics

I think you readin too much into that breds...if 10 people did shake the minister hand and one lady did give him a big hug, the hug woulda be the front page pic.

It jus so happen her reaction was way worse (at least visually) than any hug
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 08:18:11 AM »
steups.

If Ms. John had given her the money, she would've probably kissed her foot too.

The woman just glad that she get help...doesn't matter who helped her.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>