April 29, 2024, 07:05:39 AM

Author Topic: Afro-Trinis so this is the new direction of T&T future ?  (Read 5600 times)

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Afro-Trinis so this is the new direction of T&T future ?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
Many people got cheques from Moonilal.. The question is this, why was this picture published? I am pretty sure there are other pictures of other beneficiaries receiving cheques. But this one has meaning behind it. There is no conspiracy, but rather creativity in telling a story with a picture. To me, this picture tells us who has power in T&T.. And who doesn't have power...

This picture should be a wake up call. This is the position that Afri-Trinidad is in right now. No power.. Reliance on gov't assistance.. etc.. Moonilal or UNC never set up this pic..steups

Allyuh jokers can't be serious... "creativity in telling story"?? Dude, the picture is the story.  The photographer had nothing to do but snap the shot... the woman and her actions is what makes the story.  What bullshit 'creativity' talk yuh coming with?  I does try to be patient but not when man on here trying to push ah divisive agenda.

Bakes, I know what you are saying. But I have a question. Do you think the photographer took pictures of others receiving cheques from Moonilal? Again, I not saying there is a conspiracy of some sort. But this type of picture is what is called "shock advertising".  This is used to stir emotions and tell a story. Let me ask you another question, do you think any Indians received cheques? If so, how come we arent seeing any of those pics... Again, pictures are published for a reason. Only few understand this multilayering of story telling that lies in visual communication. It exists all over the place.

Semiotics

I think you readin too much into that breds...if 10 people did shake the minister hand and one lady did give him a big hug, the hug woulda be the front page pic.

It jus so happen her reaction was way worse (at least visually) than any hug

I just playing devil's advocate here eh but...Moonilal did pull her up and gave her a hug...however we ent get to see the pic with the hug.  ;D

My photography teacher started off the class with the statement that.."every good picture tells a story...the story is not always evident, but the more the evident the story is, the better the picture seems to be."
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 09:16:40 AM »
People insecure. Taking a simple picture and putting all kinda meaning to it. I am seeing a happy lady personally. Don't know how the poor lady pic turn into a race issue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:22:52 AM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
People insecure. Taking a simple picture and putting all kinda meaning to it. I am seeing a happy lady personally. Don't know how the poor lady pic turn into a race issue.

:beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

AirMan

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »

Oh wow !

Woman: I was praying, not kissing feet

By Jensen LaVende jensen.lavende@trinidadexpress.com

THE woman depicted in three daily newspapers yesterday, supposedly kissing the feet of Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, was in fact praying.

That was the explanation given to the Express yesterday by the woman, 58-year-old Bernadine George, during a telephone interview.

George, of Second Caledonia, Morvant, said she was heckled by neighbours yesterday when they saw the picture in the newspapers. She said many of her neighbours angrily asked why she had done such a thing, but when she explained to them what she was actually doing they refused to accept it.

"Everybody saying that I bowed down and kiss Mr. Moonilal foot and have me crying and feeling embarrassed like a little fool. I felt good for everything that people did for me so I give praise because I am very grateful for it. I went down to the ground and say, 'Thank you, Jesus', and say a little prayer and then I got back up," George said.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Woman__I_was_praying__not_kissing_feet-170612186.html

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »

:beermug:

Good call.

I glad for she oui.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Afro Trinis... this is what we coming to??  Bending down and praying in public??  She not even Hindu  ::)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
Many people got cheques from Moonilal.. The question is this, why was this picture published? I am pretty sure there are other pictures of other beneficiaries receiving cheques. But this one has meaning behind it. There is no conspiracy, but rather creativity in telling a story with a picture. To me, this picture tells us who has power in T&T.. And who doesn't have power...

This picture should be a wake up call. This is the position that Afri-Trinidad is in right now. No power.. Reliance on gov't assistance.. etc.. Moonilal or UNC never set up this pic..steups

Allyuh jokers can't be serious... "creativity in telling story"?? Dude, the picture is the story.  The photographer had nothing to do but snap the shot... the woman and her actions is what makes the story.  What bullshit 'creativity' talk yuh coming with?  I does try to be patient but not when man on here trying to push ah divisive agenda.

Bakes, I know what you are saying. But I have a question. Do you think the photographer took pictures of others receiving cheques from Moonilal? Again, I not saying there is a conspiracy of some sort. But this type of picture is what is called "shock advertising".  This is used to stir emotions and tell a story. Let me ask you another question, do you think any Indians received cheques? If so, how come we arent seeing any of those pics... Again, pictures are published for a reason. Only few understand this multilayering of story telling that lies in visual communication. It exists all over the place.

Semiotics

I think you readin too much into that breds...if 10 people did shake the minister hand and one lady did give him a big hug, the hug woulda be the front page pic.

It jus so happen her reaction was way worse (at least visually) than any hug

I just playing devil's advocate here eh but...Moonilal did pull her up and gave her a hug...however we ent get to see the pic with the hug.  ;D

My photography teacher started off the class with the statement that.."every good picture tells a story...the story is not always evident, but the more the evident the story is, the better the picture seems to be."

Thanks Pardners.. I learned the same thing. Visual Communication might be a little to deep for some to understand on here. There is no "guess work" when these publishers, editors, journalists etc, choose to put a picture like this on the front page.

Just to clarify myself, I do not think this picture was staged in anyway whatsoever. Editors and publishers chose this picture to tell the story. I am pretty sure they had dozens of pictures from this event that could have easily been chosen to tell the story (government provides assistance to storm victims). There are usually dozens of pictures to choose from. But this one was chosen to be on the front page. Why? Not mainly because of race... But because this picture has many stories when its viewed through different lenses (class, race, gender, politics etc). Publishing this picture in a racially and politically charged environment like T&T is bound to create a stir with some folks.  Dissecting this picture and using it as an opportunity to find your understanding of what is taking place in T&T is good enough for me. 

Again, I dont think this picture was staged, nor do I think Kamla or anyone in her administration called the Guardian and told them to publish this picture. Remember these Journalists, Editors, Publishers studied visual communication... They know how the masses will react when pictures are published. No guess work here guys.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »
They know how the masses will react when pictures are published. No guess work here guys.

Hence  the reason we have this thread
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 03:13:20 PM »
... They know how the asses will react when pictures are published. No guess work here guys.

Fixed it fuh yuh  :beermug:

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
... They know how the asses will react when pictures are published. No guess work here guys.

Fixed it fuh yuh  :beermug:

lol.. Yeah they know.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
lol.. Yeah they know.

The picture was chosen because it helps sell papers... that's the long and short of it.  Not because it holds some special meaning for, or was intended to send some message to Afro Trinis as the thread starter seemingly implies.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
lol.. Yeah they know.

The picture was chosen because it helps sell papers... that's the long and short of it.  Not because it holds some special meaning for, or was intended to send some message to Afro Trinis as the thread starter seemingly implies.

Yup shock value, better potential to sell. If a man only buys one daily out of the three, odds are that the eye catching picture or crazy headline wins
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
lol.. Yeah they know.

Yup shock value, better potential to sell. If a man only buys one daily out of the three, odds are that the eye catching picture or crazy headline wins

Indeed... When politics is involved, pictures and stories like this are good tools for public relations and manufacturing consent.

1]; } ?>