March 28, 2024, 03:23:32 PM

Author Topic: Racism in football Thread.  (Read 201639 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2013/14 UEFA Champions League Thread
« Reply #1320 on: May 24, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
David Villa just seems to be in his own dimension time-wise. He collects the ball and time slows down, and then he just turns away and makes a pass.

Not up to game speed ... he hasn't been getting a tremendous amount of time on the pitch this season.

I meant that as a good thing. With the ball, he just seems to have more time than everybody else.

Frankly, I wish Simeone had played him a tad more. There were games that Costa stayed on way past the dregs. Same feeling about Diego (the Brazilian). Once Del Bosque announces, if he stays in the squad, the WC might be where he hits his sweet spot.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 24, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
This game had tuh have drama. :pissedoff:  :)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
Real could sub in Ronaldo for the extra time.  :devil:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 24, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Real could sub in Ronaldo for the extra time.  :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 24, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »
Momentum is tilting. AM must display character right now.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 24, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »
Yes!!!

Game on now!

I told a fella int he pub last week. I thnik if Atletico win the league, then they win the Champions League too. If they lose, they lose both.

They are proving me right at this moment

:praying: ... and that Bitter is Nostradamus, Amen.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 24, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »
oh shit
I pity the fool....

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 24, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
Yes!!!

Game on now!

I told a fella int he pub last week. I thnik if Atletico win the league, then they win the Champions League too. If they lose, they lose both.

They are proving me right at this moment

:praying: ... and that Bitter is Nostradamus, Amen.

You ent see I change my prediction...

Hard luck dey Atletico

Bale to win it now...

:peace:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 24, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
I miss de damn goal. Feed stuck. Iz only because of radio commentary I knew wha happen.

Vamos, Atleti!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 24, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »
La Decima!  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 24, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
 2 goals ah miss ...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 24, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »
DIVE! Penalty!
4-1

This turned ugly quickly...

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 24, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
Well i sure didnt see dat coming. WOW!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »
Now Simeone on the pitch.

Just take yuh licks nah man.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 24, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »
I like how CR7 celebrating like he do anything in this match.

Marcelo was an inspired sub. Di Maria was MoM for me.

I think because of the Diego Costa thing, Atletico didn't have the sub they needed at the end.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 24, 2014, 03:25:52 PM »
Congrats to RM!!!

I eh ketch much of anything in the 2nd extra time period. All ah hearing on de radio is gol, gol, penal ... gol.  ;D

Should make for interesting viewing.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 24, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »
Ah shame to even celebrate cos ah had write off Madrid.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 24, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
I like how CR7 celebrating like he do anything in this match.

Marcelo was an inspired sub. Di Maria was MoM for me.

I think because of the Diego Costa thing, Atletico didn't have the sub they needed at the end.

Fully agree regarding the bold.

Costa? ... yeah, that will surely be mooted, but it might equally have been as unwise to inject him late as starting him seems to have been. I would have preferred a start without Costa.

AM has shown to be a squad with balance, and perhaps some depth, but the absence of Arda Turan can't be overlooked. At the end of the day, Sergio Ramos opened the door to create this result ... which I sensed was more likely than not given Madrid's assets. Madrid didn't start balling till inspired. Fitting final ... distorted scoreline.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:48:00 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 24, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »
Very, very happy for Bale and Modric.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Ah shame to even celebrate cos ah had write off Madrid.

You ent have no faith. Dat equalizer was coming
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 25, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
Best final I see in a while.  Great comeback although I wanted Atletico to take it.
Those injuries hurt Atletico too much.
Ramos with the hero goal, that was a beauty.
And yeah Di Maria is a special player.  Maximum effort from that man.  Bale lucky to get another good chance after he fluff 3.
Cristiana do nothing whole game, wasting free kicks and being marked out of the game, then want to rip off shirt and flex steups.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 25, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
Yeah, C. Ronaldo geh pound on TV for that display. I would like to see the foul preceding the penalty call again because de lil piece I saw in slo-mo seemed suspect. Ah want to see if he crafted that to end on a high note of glory. Some idiots have described him as scoring the "winning" goal.  ::)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Race and racism in Honduran soccer and society
« Reply #1342 on: July 03, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/06/19/race-and-racism-in-honduran-soccer-and-society/

BY JOSHUA NADEL

In 2011, a number of incidents surrounding soccer and racism grabbed international headlines (most notably the  John Terry-Anton Ferdinand and Luis Suarez-Patrice Evra affairs). Outside of the limelight of most of the international press, Afro-Honduran players voiced their own charges to end racial discrimination. Osman Chávez, then a starting center back for los Catrachos (as the Honduran national team is sometimes called) and many of his teammates decided to boycott the national media as part of a campaign called “journalism without discrimination.” Racist comments on newspaper webpages appeared regularly, which disparaged him and many others on the team. He could understand racism in Poland, where he played professionally, as partly stemming from not seeing many people of color. But “in your own country, brother, where you were born,” he said, “it is intolerable, you just can’t fit that in your mind.” In October of that year, Johnny Palacios, also at the time a national team player, accused a referee in the Honduran professional league of racially abusing him during a game.

Racism is certainly nothing new in Honduras. Honduras identifies itself as a mestizo nation — of mixed indigenous and European roots — and officially only about 2 percent of the population is of African descent (though the actual number may be as high as 10 percent). And the fact that roughly half the Honduran national team at the 2014 World Cup is Afro-Honduran only serves to suggest that other issues are at play, such as access to education and job opportunities. But history is at stake as well, and the team exposes the contortions that the Honduran state historically attempted to “whiten” the nation.

In the early 20th century, Honduran nationalist leaders adhered to ideas of mestizaje — a valorizing of the mixed race nature of Latin American nations popularized by the Mexican thinker José Vasconcelos — as a way to inspire national pride. While mestizaje uplifted the indigenous, it was still based on 19th century racist ideology, which placed Africans at the bottom of the racial hierarchy. People of African descent were seen as an impediment to national development, and their presence had to be minimized. Blacks, according to Honduran thinkers of the era, were “retarded ethnic elements” and represented “a problem for the purity for the ‘Honduran race.’ ”

So in the early 1900s, Honduran intellectuals and government officials began searching for ways to highlight Honduras’ indigenous heritage. In the 1920s, they “found” their new national hero: the Lenca warrior Lempira. He had waged a futile war against Spanish conquistadors in the 1530s, but he was rewarded nearly 400 years later. Though no images of Lempira existed, the Honduran government produced one, which still graces the Honduran banknotes that bear his name.

In embracing Lempira, Honduran nationalists not only created a cultural icon for a nation supposedly built on European and indigenous bases, but also explicitly rewrote the history of the nation’s African roots.  According to the early 20th century thinkers, Honduras’ black population arrived as part of the influx of Anglophone Antillean workers for banana plantations in the late 1890s, and they remained confined to the north coast and the Bay Islands. They coupled the discursive reconfiguration of Honduran history with practical racism: Immigration laws in 1929 and 1934 banned blacks from entering the nation.

In fact, however, Honduras’ African roots are much older. People of African descent arrived in four different waves. Many Africans arrived in Honduras in the 1500s along with the first Spaniards (and may have fought against Lempira) and played a crucial role in the development of the colony and its economy.

A second African-descended population emerged — in the 1600s — from intermarriage between shipwrecked and runaway slaves and indigenous populations on the north coast. The Miskitos, as they are known, aligned themselves with the British and intermittently raided Spanish settlements. The third major influx of people of African descent came in 1797, with the arrival of the Black Carib — runaway slaves and members of the Carib indigenous group — who were deported to the Bay Islands after losing a war against England and France. These exiles moved quickly to the mainland and became known as the Garifuna, who remain the largest African-descended ethnic group in Honduras. And the fourth wave — the so-called negros ingleses — arrived in the late 1800s from the British Caribbean to work on banana plantations.

While history books sought to de-Africanize Honduras, census data also played a role in minimizing the presence of non-mestizos in the nation. In a linguistic sleight of hand, the Honduran state erased the possibility of claiming African roots. The 1910 census enumerated seven different races: ladino (a catchall term for people of mixed race), indigenous, mestizo, white, blacks, mulattos and “yellow.” But by 1916, there were only two (indigenous and ladino), and by the 1920s racial categories ceased to exist. There were no blacks in Honduras, because there were only Hondurans. Racial identification would eventually be added back into the census, but no categories that allowed for African descent — ladino, mulatto or black — existed until 2001.

Yet Afro-Hondurans have always been visible in the nation, and especially on the national soccer team. While the team for Honduras’ first international match — in 1921 — is unknown, in 1930, when Honduras won its first game, at least four members of the team were black. And this at a time when Brazil would not to allow Afro-Brazilians to represent the nation internationally. So too in 1982, when Honduras shocked hosts Spain with a 1-1 draw, Afro-Hondurans made up much of the team, including defenseman Alan Anthony Costly (father of current Honduran striker Carlos Costly) and goalkeeper Julio Cesar Arzú.

Presence on the soccer team, however, does not equal acceptance. For most of the 20th century, the Honduran state has ignored its African-descended population — or worse. In 1937, the government of Tiburcio Carias massacred 22  Garifuna leaders in the village of San Juan. Garifuna language was banned in school curriculums until the 2000s. Social indicators among black Hondurans tend to rank near the bottom; access to education and jobs lags behind much of the rest of the country. And in soccer, racism persists as well. In 2006, a politician claimed that blacks brought the level of play on the team down because they were not as “intelligent” as other Hondurans. In response to Chávez’s 2011 anti-racism campaign, a former Honduran national team psychologist argued that “blacks, by nature, have low self-esteem and therefore look for ways to call attention to themselves.”

In other words, while Afro-Hondurans make up a large portion of the national team — and always have — their presence has not yet led to greater tolerance. Nor has it occasioned a change in Honduras’ dominant narrative about race. What does this mean? The persistence of racist attitudes in Honduras implies that soccer, which many claim capable of changing attitudes about race and creating a more just world, may not be the panacea that many would like it to be.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Race and racism in Honduran soccer and society
« Reply #1343 on: July 03, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
I said it before and i'll say it again; "The Institution" never had a problem with Blacks on the field, the problems lie in Blacks in the bleachers. And is not like they have a problem with a recognized "known" Black or three, in between the crowd  - but regular ole black people littering the stands equally as the whites. Well that was blasphemous to even imagine.

If the African didnt have the Midas touch and could individually turn things into gold - like "dribble de basketball a bit before yuh shoot nah" then they wouldnt even be in the teams but there is no denying the African's resilience. Their aptitude to learning, will keep them included in everything - Golf, Lawn Tennis, Bob Sledin - haha.

Different races brings different attitudes - Culture clashes poses the biggest problems I feel.   for e.g.

There is one guy who does see yuh walking home from a hard, day at work, block yuh in the trace and take de lil 300 yuh now win playin wappi down de street.

There is another guy, yuh normally encounter him after yuh done playin wappi, he in de mall. He about to sell you a shirt and a pants; de monopoly that exists, sees this guy, able to charge 300% more than it should be so ah cool 600% yuh loss. You thank him when you leave he thanks you if he does!

Both were thieves but one stuck his hand in your pockets and the other made you stick your hands into your pockets!

There is one guy who know he's right and that justice is on his side so he want to cuss yuh in yuh face and possibly cuff yuh in your face too - with all right too; while  another guy may rather have his attorney cuss yuh behind big wooden courthouse doors and get his justice by way of judgement.

I ain't trying to make one system look better than the next; sometimes is only a shakedown or a cuff in de face will do but for certain, there are also many things along these lines, we can adopt from our whites.

I believe these different methods of handling everyday issues - created the opportunity for the unjust among whites, to make household claims and create household names about an entire people.

If only Blacks were as good collectively as they are individually, Unions might have been born earlier and all that free labor, (Slavery), would instead have been securely safeguarded and traded at a fair price to all the first-worlders coming looking for "Sun-Agreeable" people to further their development kick.

Ubuntu should be a gift, earned, even with foreign men, after trial and proof.

Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 07, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
look at costa rica and honduras fans at the world cup. how much ah dem look like the players on the field?

same thing for brazil. indicative of the ranking of black people in latin america.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 07, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
look at costa rica and honduras fans at the world cup. how much ah dem look like the players on the field?

same thing for brazil. indicative of the ranking of black people in latin america.

[/quote

When we played Bahrain how much die hard fans were present? The issue for them is race for us is class.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 12, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
here is an article from Huff. Post about isssue of land rights and Afro-Brazilians.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/brazil-quilombos_n_5572236.html

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fifa asks FIGC to probe Italy racism row
« Reply #1347 on: July 29, 2014, 04:52:45 AM »
Fifa asks FIGC to probe Italy racism row
T&T Express

FIFA has asked the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) to investigate comments made by Carlo Tavecchio, the favourite to become its next president, in which he referred to African players as “banana eaters”.

“Media reports concerning alleged racist comments by one of the presidential candidates for the Italian FA have alerted FIFA’s Task Force against racism and discrimination and its chairman Jeffrey Webb,” FIFA said in a statement yesterday.

“As such, FIFA has written a letter to the Italian FA asking it to take the appropriate steps to investigate and decide on this matter and report to FIFA.”

FIGC vice-president Tavecchio has received a wave of criticism for his comments, which came at the summer assembly of Italy’s amateur leagues (LND).

He suggested that Italy should replicate England’s stringent requirements for non-EU players.

“In England, they identify the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play,” said 71-year-old Tavecchio.

“Here instead we get ‘Opti Pobà’, who previously ate bananas and then suddenly becomes a first team player with Lazio.

“That’s how it is here. In England, you need to demonstrate what you have on your CV and your pedigree.”
Tavecchio has apologised twice for his remarks but said yesterday he will not end his candidacy for the FIGC presidency.

“I’ve got the support of the Leagues, and I’m carrying on with my campaign for the presidency of the FIGC,” he told Italian news agency ANSA.

Tavecchio is hot favourite to beat former AC Milan and Italy midfielder Demetrio Albertini to Italian football’s top job in an August 11 vote.

The pair are vying for the position left vacant by Giancarlo Abete, who stepped down immediately after Italy’s embarrassing early exit from the World Cup in Brazil.

On Sunday, the first signs of a crack in the strong support for Tavecchio from Serie A and B clubs came from Fiorentina, who said that he should step aside.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racism in football Thread.
« Reply #1348 on: October 13, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »
How de 2013-14 UEFA thread geh merge in here?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racism in football Thread.
« Reply #1349 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:13 AM »
Anyway, here's 14:16 of yuh life yuh wouldn't waste:

https://audioboom.com/boos/2535509-5lnews-racism-in-football-04-oct-14

The power of radio!

1]; } ?>