March 28, 2024, 09:20:25 AM

Author Topic: Racism in football Thread.  (Read 201509 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racism in football Thread.
« Reply #1350 on: July 16, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »
Chelsea Racism
Victim of alleged fans' racism says he was violently pushed

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150716/sports/chelsea-racism

LONDON (AP) — A man allegedly racially abused by Chelsea supporters in Paris says he was "violently" pushed off a metro train.

A statement from Souleymane Sylla was read out on Thursday at a London court where four men are fighting police attempts to issue them with football banning orders, and deny wrongdoing.

Video showed Sylla being pushed off the train by Chelsea supporters, who were singing "we're racist, we're racist, and that's the way we like it." It happened in February before a Champions League game against Paris Saint-Germain.

"When I approached them to enter the coach, one of them pushed me away violently to put me back on to the platform," Sylla said in statement read out at Stratford Magistrates' Court. "I again approached the carriage, explaining to this person I wanted to get back on the train.

"He didn't seem to understand what I said to him, and other supporters behind him were shouting and singing in English. As I don't speak English, I didn't understand what they said. Another person made a sign indicating to the color of the skin on his face."

Richard Barklie, 50, Jordan Munday, 20, Josh Parsons, 20, and William Simpson, 26, all deny any racism. Defense lawyers for all four men said they were not chanting or being racist, and Sylla was pushed off the train simply because it was full.

Barklie, a former police officer in Northern Ireland who now works as a human rights activist, admitted pushing Sylla off the carriage. But Barklie insisted he had no "racist motive," and Sylla was the only one "using aggression" by barging his way on to the train.

Speaking about video footage played in court, which shows him forcing Sylla off the train, Barklie said he put his hands up to protect himself.

"From what I've seen, and what I've viewed, (Sylla) was aggressively forcing himself into a space where there was none," Barklie said.

The case was adjourned until next Wednesday when District Judge Gareth Branston will give his ruling.

A fifth man, 32-year-old Dean Callis from north London, has already received a five-year banning order from football matches for his role in Paris and other incidents involving violence

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »
This is old news, is it not?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 16, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
This is old news, is it not?

Old news, but the article is more than about the event per se. It's about their defense and seeking to maintain/protect their privilege of attending matches.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
More Racism in Football: Do we really need a World Cup in Russia?
« Reply #1353 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
Emmanuel Frimpong sent off over gesture after fans make monkey chants

The former Arsenal player Emmanuel Frimpong was criticised by his own club and now faces a multi-game ban after he was sent off in Russia for his response to racist chants from opposing supporters.

The Ghanaian midfielder says he was subjected to monkey chants by Spartak Moscow fans while playing for FC Ufa in the opening game of the Russian Premier League season on Friday. The game ended 2-2.

Frimpong gestured with a finger toward the Spartak stands in the 31st minute, for which he received a straight red card.

Afterwards he said on Twitter that he had been “racially abused for the game that I love”.

“When the match was stopped, the fans started shouting ‘monkey’ at me,” he told reporters. “Then the monkey chants started. I don’t have any problems with the Spartak fans in general. I just did not keep my cool, I showed my emotions and it was my mistake. I want to say sorry for what I did.”

The Ufa general director, Shamil Gazizov, said his club would not seek any punishment against Spartak: “It was an unfortunate incident. There were people who could have shouted things. These are emotions which go away after the game. We are partners with the red and whites and are on good terms.

“What Frimpong did was wrong. Sometimes you even have to hold back the tears and just put up with it.”

In a series of tweets he later said: “Want to apologize for the sending off after being provoked shouldn’t have happened but also am a human being shouldn’t be racially abused for the game that I love.

“Fantastic result to draw with Spartak proud of team and I’m going to serve a sentence for being abused … and yet we going to hold a World Cup in this country where African will have to come play football.

“I must stressed not all Spartak fans done that only one person had to ruin it Spartak fans were brilliant and created a good atmosphere shame one person ruin it.”

Three other black players have been punished for between two and four games since 2013 for making insulting gestures in reaction to racist abuse in the Russian league. A recent report revealed over 100 racism-related incidents in football over two seasons in the country.

Here's the thing: The Ufa general director, Shamil Gazizov, said "What Frimpong did was wrong. Sometimes you even have to hold back the tears and just put up with it." I wonder how long Comrade Gazizov would "just put up with it" if hundreds of people went to his place of work and called him a Communist murderer for 30 minutes?

Maybe the boy shouldn't have reacted but, HELLO, if those morons weren't shouting abuse, there'd be no reaction by Frimpong.   

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: More Racism in Football: Do we really need a World Cup in Russia?
« Reply #1354 on: July 20, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
Russia's approach to racism for the past god knows how long has been "na-na-na can't hear it", god knows how it'll go at the World Cup with homosexuals as well.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 20, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »
Racism for years in Italy and Spain too, also in England too.. ah doh hear nobody crying when them countries hosted WC's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 20, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
Racism for years in Italy and Spain too, also in England too.. ah doh hear nobody crying when them countries hosted WC's

I can't speak for Italy or Spain, but racism has been aggressively confronted in the UK since the 80's especially in sport. I'm not saying it's fully eradicated by any means, but it's definitely not ignored. In fact, there are more mixed race marriages in London than in any other city in the world.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 20, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »

I can't speak for Italy or Spain, but racism has been aggressively confronted in the UK since the 80's especially in sport. I'm not saying it's fully eradicated by any means, but it's definitely not ignored. In fact, there are more mixed race marriages in London than in any other city in the world.

Racism in football still exist in UK TODAY. Do some research about Chelsea and their fans.

I doh care about mixed marriages. Your thread is highlighting Racism in Russia and you have the NERVE to ask why Russia hosting a WC.  Germany and France hosted the WC when there were racism in their domestic leagues as well.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 20, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

Aye Football Supporter wha happening in UK eh? Took a look above^^ yuh want to question racism in Russia and asking why dem hosting WC.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 20, 2015, 02:20:20 PM »

Racism in football still exist in UK TODAY. Do some research about Chelsea and their fans.

I doh care about mixed marriages. Your thread is highlighting Racism in Russia and you have the NERVE to ask why Russia hosting a WC.  Germany and France hosted the WC when there were racism in their domestic leagues as well.

There always has and always will be racism in every country. Take a look in your own country. But if a club/league/football association/government does not even recognise that it's wrong, then you have an institutional problem. By the way, Chelsea are not the worse in my experience. Take a trip to the Boleyn Ground one day!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 20, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »

Aye Football Supporter wha happening in UK eh? Took a look above^^ yuh want to question racism in Russia and asking why dem hosting WC.

Why are you singling out the UK?   

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:47 PM »
The kick racism out of football campaign as well as well as government and fa support  have helped the uk stamp out racism but there is still a lot more to be done not just here in the uk but world wide.

FS for me the worst place was the den / new den.
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 20, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
The kick racism out of football campaign as well as well as government and fa support  have helped the uk stamp out racism but there is still a lot more to be done not just here in the uk but world wide.

FS for me the worst place was the den / new den.

Yeah, that was bad for a long time. But I remember West Ham fans making monkey chants at black opposition players and they had several black West Ham players on the pitch. The ICF used to target Asians when they went to the Midlands.

Offline gb8702

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 20, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
It's a lot better now mate still not 100% but I'd say we are trying to combat the situation. The ones that are racist are brain dead morons that will abuse the local shop owner then have a curry at the shop owners brothers restaurant
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:46:20 PM by gb8702 »
Fail to prepare - Prepare to fail

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Racism In Football Thread
« Reply #1364 on: July 21, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »

If FIFA serious about the Kick Racism Out campaign they have to be prepared to play football in what they may deem "hostile territory". That is the real test.

Go on "Offence" with the message.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:36:43 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1366 on: March 25, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
Ex-USMNT great DaMarcus Beasley: FIFA doing nothing to stop racism
ESPN

Former United States men's national team player DaMarcus Beasley said that FIFA isn't doing anything to combat racism in the sport and it is "disheartening" that players are still enduring abuse.

Speaking with ESPN's Herculez Gomez, Beasley recounted to his former USMNT teammate about when he suffered racist chants by fans in Montenegro during a Champions League qualifying game in August 2007.

Beasley and his Rangers teammate Jean-Claude Darcheville endured the chants in a 1-0 victory over FK Zeta. Beasley scored the goal in that game, his first for the Scottish side following a move from Manchester City.

"To hear monkey chants while you're playing, every single time you get the ball you feel rage, you want to do something more than just play the game," said Beasley.

Beasley, a mainstay for the national team and the only American to play in four World Cups, retired in 2019 after a club career that saw him play abroad in the Netherlands, England, Scotland, and Mexico. He last played for the Houston Dynamo in MLS.

Beasley said that FIFA has not combated the issue more directly and added that the incident in 2007 "was sweeped under the table."

"For me, I feel for players that are still getting that kind of treatment," Beasley added.

Beasley lamented that "it's gonna take [a player] going into the stands and knocking somebody out" if the sport doesn't do more to prevent racist acts.

Tottenham Hotspur's Eric Dier leapt into the stands to confront a spectator at Norwich City earlier this month who had insulted his brother. There were also allegations that a fan had also racially insulted a Spurs player.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1367 on: June 05, 2020, 07:14:49 AM »
How Britain is losing the race: what Yorke, Hislop, Sancho and more faced in UK.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

This report was initially written by Lasana Liburd for the Trinidad Express newspaper and published there on 25 November 2004:

It was not, as Birmingham City chairman David Sullivan pointed out, the ‘crime of the century’. The British Soccernet website claimed that the Blackburn Football Club, the site of the latest racial incident in the British game, harboured just two racist fans.

Some Blackburn supporters claimed there was just one.

In any case, Sullivan insisted that it was no big deal and suggested that Trinidad and Tobago’s Dwight Yorke, effectively his employee, should have ignored it rather than confront the offending patrons.

Unanimously, the British media insisted that the monkey gestures and racist taunts aimed at the T&T star and Birmingham striker on Sunday were ‘small’, ‘isolated’ and, most importantly, ‘nothing like Spain’.

Last Wednesday in Madrid, thousands of Spanish fans made sickening monkey chants whenever a black Englishman touched the ball. Spain was quickly branded an ‘uncivilised nation’ by the British press and Professional Footballers Association (PFA) chief executive Gordon Taylor insisted that the English team should have walked off the field.

Tellingly, he did not say how many fans need to be making racial jibes before a team could head for the showers in good conscience.

Perhaps there were too few in Yorke’s case; which, of course, was an isolated one. Like Ron Atkinson’s gaffe, for instance.

Atkinson—who ironically coached Yorke at Aston Villa in the early ‘90s, where he sometimes ordered players to punch and kick Yorke to toughen him up at training sessions—infamously referred to former France captain and World Cup winner, Marcel Desailly, as a ‘f**king, lazy, thick nigger’ in the ITV television studio after a Champions League match this April.

The microphone was still on, though, and ‘Big Ron’ was asked to resign and complied.

It was not Atkinson’s first racial jibe as a television commentator. He once referred to a Cameroon player as brainless during the 1990 World Cup. His producers quickly chided him but Atkinson got in the last word during the interval. “Well if his mother is watching up a tree in Africa…”

Once more, his comments were inadvertently broadcast live in some countries and ITV received a complaint, but Atkinson remained on staff. That Ron Atkinson, they chuckle, never knows when to keep quiet.

There are other recent cases.

Dundee and Trinidad and Tobago defender Brent Sancho was called ‘a black bastard’ and hauled out of a taxi last October; but after a fight ensued, Sancho and not his racist assailant was thrown into a cell and charged. (Sancho was later acquitted).

Fulham striker Luis Boa Morte was called ‘a black c**t’ by Everton forward Duncan Ferguson in a Premiership match last season and reported the matter to the English FA.

But the FA dismissed the case for lack of evidence and the papers suggested that Boa Morte was a mischief-maker, which prompted a flood of abuse for the Portuguese striker by visiting fans.

“There were people on my team who heard it and there were people on the Everton team who heard it too,” said Boa Morte, “but they didn’t want to say anything. I had two or three really low weeks, I felt gutted.

“Why would I have taken it to the FA if the thing didn’t happen?”

Another one-off, I suppose. But how many isolated incidents do it take before the relevant authorities accept that there is a problem?

Racist chants at the Millwall Football Club last season; English international defender Jonathan Woodgate convicted for assaulting an Asian student in a nightclub; Newcastle and Welsh striker Craig Bellamy racially abused an Asian door man… A 2003 University report, supported by the PFA, found systematic exclusion of minorities at community clubs and ‘extremely poor’ numbers of non-whites in managerial and staff positions at football clubs.

It might not amount to much for some influential figures like Sullivan, but it means a great deal to the rest of us. It certainly means a great deal to me.

Racism in football, even the vile stuff we observed when Jamaica-born ex-England and Liverpool star John Barnes was routinely pelted with bananas, is merely the tip of the iceberg.

Manchester United star Rio Ferdinand recalled that he would be stopped and questioned roughly ten times a week by the police when he drove across London from Peckham to West Ham for training as a teenager-barely seven years ago.

Trinidad and Tobago and Portsmouth goalkeeper Shaka Hislop remembered when, at Newcastle, a group of youths screamed racial insults and ran towards him in a threatening manner at a gas station. Then, they recognised him and subsequently begged for autographs.

So what of blacks who are unprotected by celebrity status in England?

Those still referred to in some quarters here, as ‘darkie’, ‘coloured’ and ‘negro’—and those are the affectionate references.

It is not like Spain—or at least what we saw of them at that shameful international match—that is undisputed. But this does not necessarily mean it is significantly better.

The Race Relations Act, passed in 1976, makes it an offence to racially abuse or assault someone, which can result to the offender being expelled from a bar or sporting ground or, in violent cases, jailed up to 14 years.

While the British Government and anti-racists groups have made progress in silencing racists, there is the feeling that insufficient headway has been made in converting them. By and large, it has allowed passive racism to fester.

On Saturday, I was ejected from a train while returning from an afternoon in Birmingham. The train conductor suggested—rather vaguely—that I had stolen or fraudulently acquired my rail pass, although I had the relevant travel documents on me.

After a lively debate, in which I refused to pay a fine, I was told that we would stop at then next station to locate a policeman to which I readily agreed. Once we had both disembarked, the conductor hopped back on the train, though, leaving me at a desolate and extremely cold stop.

I have already arranged a meeting with Central Trains to pursue the matter, but it was not an isolated case.

Once, the Portsmouth Football Club secretary, when trying to describe me over the telephone to an official enlisted to take me towards the players’ dressing rooms, curiously explained to his listener: ‘you will know him when you see him’.

But, generally, you are made to feel an outsider without words.

Like the young white couple I attempted to help as they struggled to keep their stalled car from rolling down a hill in the early evening.

On seeing my approach, the lady left her male companion with the weight of the vehicle on his back and sprinted to the other side of the car. He gesticulated frantically for me to come no closer.

“No thank you, mate!”

Perhaps Barnes summed it up best last week when he was approached for comment on the Spanish scandal and surprised the journalist by insisting that England was in no position to take the moral high ground.

“Because we don’t hear it any more we think we’re getting rid of racism,” Barnes told the London Observer. “Please, let’s not all believe we’re much better in this country. The biggest thing for me is the hypocrisy of the people who were around 10 or 15 years ago when this was going on in English football.

“Why weren’t they saying anything then? Is it just politically correct to be doing it now?”

Silence, he explained, does not mean harmony.

“When you talk about kicking racism out of football,” he said, “people automatically assume you are talking about on the terraces and on the football field.

“But all racists have to do is keep their mouth shut for 90 minutes and they’re fine. It’s good that people are talking about it, but it’s how they’re talking. Let’s not believe that we are much better in this country.”

Another former Arsenal player and present youth team coach, Paul Davis, revealed that he was overlooked for promotion at Arsenal for the third time last September. Instead, Steve Bould was given the post although he had five years less experience and was markedly less qualified than Davis.

Davis, when he questioned the snub, was told by Arsenal that he did not have the ‘right personality’ for the job.

“It doesn’t make sense,” he said. “I obviously can’t say that it was racism because it wasn’t spelt out to me like that, but it wasn’t done properly. There were no appraisals, no proper information on candidates; basically it was one person making the decision.

“But [racism] is the hardest thing to accuse anyone of because how are you gonna prove it?”

Racism is scariest off the football field.

An undercover BBC investigation found ‘shocking and widespread’ racism at the Greater Manchester Police force last October, where policemen were taped boasting of victimising ‘pakis’ and ‘niggers’. Yet Home Secretary and British MP David Blunkett initially slammed the BBC for their ‘covert stunt’ before quickly back-pedalling after condemnation by anti-racism groups.

The BBC documentary was in response to a sharp rise in racially motivated crimes over the past decade. It is the same monster of racial prejudice that reared its head at Blackburn on Sunday.

Sullivan would have us look the other way.

Yorke did not!

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 04, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
Latest incident: Diakhaby (Valencia) on the receiving end of a comment by Cala (Cadiz).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 04, 2021, 06:08:44 PM »
Davinson Sanchez (Tottenham) had an ugly episode on Instagram. It's repulsive when you read about it, but it is particularly vile and putrid when you see the actual images.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1371 on: July 12, 2021, 06:30:21 PM »
FIFA, Concacaf to act on death threats, racism to T&T players.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

Football's world governing body FIFA and the Confederation of North, Central America and the Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF), are set to deal with issues of death threats, racism and attempts to physically harm directed to members of the T&T football team at the ongoing CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States.

Angry Mexican fans hurled racial slurs and threw bottles at the T&T players during a Group A encounter between T&T and Mexico at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, USA on Saturday. This situation was further exacerbated by a clash between Mexican winger Hirving 'Chucky' Lozano, goalkeeper Marvin Phillip and defender Alvin Jones at the end of the first half which resulted in Lozano being rushed to the hospital with a suspected injury to the head.

The game ended in a goalless draw as coach Angus Eve employed a counter-attacking strategy that, not only frustrated the tournament's defending champions, but prevented them from scoring.

Eve, yesterday confirmed to Guardian Media Sports that because of death threats to him and his players- Phillip and Jones, there has been heightened police presence at the hotel where the team is currently based.

The T&T Football Association has since reacted to this development by writing to both FIFA and the CONCACAF and has since received a promise that something will be done about it soon, the coach said.

Eve, a former national player, did not have this experience during his five years of playing for T&T at the Gold Cup, and in reliving the horrifying experience said they were outnumbered in terms of support at the stadium. However, the Mexican fans became very angry when their team could not score, so they started chanting racial slurs, throwing bottles at the players on the touchline and even shouted death threats.

"I must admit that I felt a bit bad for my players, and though there would normally be a police presence at our hotel, there was a heightened presence because of the death threats," Eve explained.

Eve in the post-match interview said the match was stopped three times because of the crowd's behaviour, noting: "At the third time I felt the referee should have stopped the match and awarded it to us because we have to stamp out this type of behaviour in the game."

To date, the T&TFA football page has been littered with threats and abuse from Mexican fans, with many also directed to Jones and Phillip. Phillip has since apologised to Lozano, saying there was definitely no intention to cause harm and later wished the Mexican player a speedy recovery.

On Sunday, Guardian Media Sports got a glimpse of some of the things that were said on the TTFA football page. Among the comments were: " Y'all some of the nastiest people I've ever seen play soccer. Y'all just go against Mexico to try and injure them. We're starting a petition to lick y'all out of the Gold Cup. Y'all aren't worth it"; "y'all some hoes for what cha did to Chucky Lozano"; "You will pay for Chucky Lozano you monkeys,".

On Monday, the president of the T&T Olympic Committee Brian Lewis, said he was angry when he heard about it initially.

Lewis who is also chairman of the Sport Integrity Global Alliance as well as the Gender Race-Inclusion and Diversity Standing Committee said: "What I was told it was trolling, but obviously it was racist, outright racism, the term used, the 'N' word, monkeys.

We can't hide from it, the fact that it is something that I have raised on more than one occasion, about the issue of racism in global sport. In April the T&TOC joined a boycott of social media for a weekend in protest of racism, racial activities taking place on social media. So I was initially angry because even though you're aware of it when it happens in an open way, it is triggering."

Meanwhile, a news release from the TTFA on Monday states: "The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association strongly condemns the discriminatory actions, racist comments and threatening messages directed at our players, staff, supporters and country following the Senior Men's National Team 0-0 result versus Mexico on 10th July 2021. Discrimination and racism have no part in our game and our society. Official reports have been lodged with CONCACAF and we are working with them to ensure that the safety and wellbeing of the team is maintained. These actions are rooted in division, so it is paramount that we unite to stamp them out. The Fight Back is Against Racism and Discrimination."

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 12, 2021, 11:30:33 PM »
To siberia with these dastardly mexicans. the last we played them at the HCS jovin scored a scorcher that was disallowed which they went on to win one nil, they played a very nasty physical game that night by tugging on shirts kicking players heels mowing down kenwin at every chance and in spite of the flagrant fouls the referee failed to act, they even fouled molino in the box AND NO PENALTY WAS GIVEN, in fact they got all the calls that night and no one made a fuss there was no facebook no media no nothing, it was all swept under the rug and that was that.

IMO mexico and the untied states gets preferential treatment from most of these concacaf officials which gives them this feeling of entitlement when calls don't go their way. on saturday they met a fair referee who called the game properly with no favoritism and their golden boy charged into a 50/50 and got the worst of it, so screw them, let them cry all they want. i hope fifa bans them for a while with those silly chants of theirs, sore losers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:39:57 PM by pull stones »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 13, 2021, 08:10:22 AM »
Italy's fans have been very bad, is only because covid restrictions have kept fans out of the stadiums that we haven't had any recent incidents. As soon as the fans are back yuh go hear them. The league executives do nothing.
Black players should boycott that league

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1374 on: July 13, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »
TTFA, Concacaf condemn racist attacks on T&T team
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

THE TT Football Association (TTFA), as well as Concacaf (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football), have both condemned verbal attacks on the T&T men’s team during and after Saturday’s goalless draw against Mexico in the opening match of the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

It was played at the AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas.

Referee Ricardo Montero stopped play in the 86th minute, as well as the sixth minute of second-half injury time (90th plus six) because of chants from the Mexican fans about the T&T team.

The TTFA, in a post on its Facebook page, wrote, “(We) strongly condemn the discriminatory actions, racist comments and threatening messages directed at our players, staff, supporters and country following (Saturday’s game).”

The local governing body for football said it was working with Concacaf to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the team.

“These actions are rooted in division, so it is paramount that we unite to stamp them out.”

Concacaf, in a Twitter post, said, “Some of the comments in response to this post (the starting line-ups for both T&T and Mexico on Twitter) are disgraceful. We stand with the

TTFA in condemning them. Racism has no place in our game or in society and social media companies must do more to regulate this on their platforms.”

T&T coach Angus Eve, during the post-game media conference, said, “We need to stamp these behaviours out of sport.”

He said the T&T team should have been awarded full points.

In June, Mexico were ordered by the world’s governing body FIFA to play their first two home matches, in the 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Qualifiers, behind closed doors – against Jamaica (September 2) and Canada (October 7). The Mexican federation were also fined US$73,000 after fans used a homophobic chant during a pre-Olympic tournament in Guadalajara, Mexico earlier this year.

1]; } ?>