April 24, 2024, 02:02:41 PM

Author Topic: Toyota Classic Thread  (Read 51621 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Toyota Classic Thread.
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »
I guess another stupid outcome from the decision to force teams to play in 90% empty stadiums to justify their costly construction?

TT Pro League didn't build the stadiums. They happen to be the closest we have to decent playing surfaces, and not enough priority for their use is given by SPORTT to the Pro League. The fact that the stadiums are empty is due, in most part, to the way professional football has evolved in T&T. We are starting to see teams with local support coming through. However, we need to closely examine the playing fields, facilities and safety provisions at the community fields before we get too excited.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:14 AM »
Well well well, I guess Mr Sancho and Mr Harrison took my advice and grease Dexter Skeen marbles so the fixtures would land JP vs Central.

Even an under strength Joe Public can get the better of Central.

I cant wait for this game.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
Well well well, I guess Mr Sancho and Mr Harrison took my advice and grease Dexter Skeen marbles so the fixtures would land JP vs Central.

Yes, Jack, it was a great idea of yours! Of course, your full strength side only managed to draw with our reserves last Wednesday! It must be very exciting for you, I'm sure, after all, the worse you can do is finish second in this game. A big improvement for your boss who always seems to finish third  :rotfl:
Come over and say hello at the game, bro, we can share a beer or two.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »

Yes, Jack, it was a great idea of yours! Of course, your full strength side only managed to draw with our reserves last Wednesday! It must be very exciting for you, I'm sure, after all, the worse you can do is finish second in this game. A big improvement for your boss who always seems to finish third  :rotfl:

Grudge match! Record it on video!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:08 AM »

Grudge match! Record it on video!

This is not a grudge match for Central. Joe Public have never even played in the Pro League since Central joined. There is no history between the clubs. Mr Horner hates Central, and that's fine. Thousands hate Joe Public for various reasons. That's fine too. This game is just a stepping stone to winning a second trophy for Central. Of course, in football, there are no guarantees and staging the game at Marvin Lee is a very curious decision, but we would hope that the best team on the day wins, and, of course, we would hope that's Central!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »
Connection, Central driven by individual feats.
ttproleague.com.

The engines of Couva based football clubs, DIRECTV W Connection and Central FC, can be considered revved, ahead of this weekend’s 2013 Toyota Classic Round of 16 which brings together the best seven (7) Super League clubs against the TT Pro League clubs.

Connection— two-time Toyota Classic winners (2005 and 2011) and present Digicel Pro League leaders—have been firing on all cylinders in the league championship with 5 wins in as many matches.

Meanwhile Central—third on the league standings with 8 points—are the recently crowned 2013 First Citizens Cup champions.

“Obviously we are over the moon in winning our first title in our short history,” said Central FC managing director Brent Sancho, following the Toyota Classic seeded-random draw on Monday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium VIP Lounge.

Two and a half weeks ago Central defeated Defence Force 2-1 in the Final of the First Citizens Cup at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Eventual MVP, Tobagonian Rundell Winchester set up an equalizing item scored by Dwight Quintero, before hitting the winner himself.

On Monday the 19 year-old Winchester added another piece of metal to his cabinet after being revealed as the Wendy’s Player of the Month for October.

But beginning on Friday, it’s an entirely new tournament, and a lot of fierce match-ups, as the nine (9) DPL and (7) SL clubs eye the Toyota Classic trophy. The winners will also receive $50,000 and $20,000 to the runners-up in the Final on November 29.

“As far as Central FC is concerned, every tournament is different, very game is different and every game situation is different,” Sancho continued.

“We have set goals at the start of the season and the Toyota Classic is one of them.”

On Friday Connection will host the Super League’s Real Maracas from 6pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium in a double header which will see SL leaders Club Sando tackle Police FC from 8pm.

“I’m sure that the inclusion of the Super League will make it interesting,” said W Connection assistant coach Earl Jean.

“We are not underestimating any team,” continued the former St. Lucia and W Connection forward, although looking well ahead to the Final.

“We have respect for the other teams. It’s true that we have won the tournament twice and we are very confident at the moment. We are on a good run and we are enjoying it. But it’s always difficult to maintain the standards that we have. We are expecting tough games, but we are confident that we can make it to the Final.”

Simultaneously at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Friday, 1976 FC Phoenix of the SL will meet defending DPL champions Defence Force 6pm, and from 8pm Caledonia AIA and St. Ann’s Rangers will meet in the only all-Pro League clash of the Toyota Classic Round of 16. Only last weekend Caledonia trashed the St. Ann’s club 6-1 in league action, and the Toyota Classic provides Rangers an early opportunity for revenge.

On Saturday, Toyota Classic action returns to the Marvin Lee Stadium, when Central takes on SL outfit Joe Public from 6pm, and SL’s third positioned Malabar FC against leading DPL goal-scorer Kerry Baptiste and San Juan Jabloteh from 8pm.

Earlier in the day, the Mahaica Oval in Point Fortin is the venue for a 3:30pm kickoff between DPL second positioned Point Fortin Civic against the SL’s Stokely Vale.

And on Sunday, the Round of 16 comes to a close at another community field—the Guayaguyare Secondary School Ground—when home team and second positioned SL outfit, Guaya United, welcomes defending Toyota Classic champions North East Stars from 3:30pm.

“The Toyota Classic [allows us] to deal with teams outside of our league,” Sancho added. “The Super League has shown this season that they can not only compete on the field, but off the pitch in terms of what they have been doing with the crowd support. So we look forward to the challenges.”

2013 Toyota Classic Round of 16

Friday 8 November

W Connection vs Real Maracas—6pm, Ato Boldon Stadium
Club Sando vs Police FC—8pm, Ato Boldon Stadium

1976 FC Phoenix vs Defence Force—6pm, Marvin Lee Stadium
Caledonia AIA vs St. Ann’s Rangers—8pm, Marvin Lee Stadium

Saturday 9 November

Point Fortin Civic vs Stokely Vale—3:30pm, Mahaica Oval, Point Fortin

Central FC vs Joe Public—6pm, Marvin Lee Stadium
Malabar FC vs San Juan Jabloteh—8pm, Marvin Lee Stadium

Sunday 10 November

Guaya United vs North East Stars—3:30pm, Guayaguayare Secondary School Ground

Quarter Final Round

Saturday

16 November
Sunday

17 November

Semi Final Round

Friday

22 November

Final

Friday

29 November

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What a McKnight: Club Sando spanks Police in Toyota Classic first round
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
What a McKnight: Club Sando spanks Police
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

Club Sando registered the first Super League triumph of the 2013 Toyota Classic competition last night with an emphatic 3-1 win over Police FC at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

Nippy Sando striker Teba McKnight scored in each half while former Trinidad and Tobago and San Juan Jabloteh full back Nigel “Ganja” Daniel also got on the score sheet. Police captain Todd Ryan had initially given “the Lawmen” the lead from the penalty spot.

It was the only upset of the first night of matches as Defence Force and DIRECTV W Connection easily dispatched Super League teams 1976 Phoenix (3-0) and Real Maracas (2-0) respectively while Caledonia AIA continued its mini-resurgence with a 3-0 triumph over St Ann’s Rangers.

Defence Force, the defending Pro League champions, has had a miserable start to the season and, at present, is just three points off the foot of the League table. But coach Ross Russell’s troop had too much firepower for Tobago outfit, Phoenix, at the Marvin Lee Stadium in Macoya.

Winger Jemel Sebro and forward Richard Roy both scored their first goals of the 2013/14 season and Roy got a double for good measure as Defence Force advanced to the quarterfinal round.

Caledonia’s match-up with Rangers is the only meeting between Pro League teams in the Classic competition’s first round. But it was a straightforward affair in Macoya as a goal each from Noel Williams, Marcus Ambrose and Kithson Bain eased the “Eastern Stallions” into the next round.

In Couva, Connection was never troubled against Maracas although the “Savonetta Boys” did not make things easy for themselves.

Somehow, midfielder Silvio Spann contrived to get sent off in a game controlled by Connection as referee Neal Brizan showed him a second yellow card after an ill-advised tumble in the opposing penalty box.

But Hashim Arcia ensured there would be no upset with a close range header after a Jerrel Britto cross in the 22nd minute while Colombian Yhon Reyes made it 2-0 with a neat lobbed finish in the 51st minute.

No such luck for Police in the closing game at Couva, though.

Police captain and “Mister Dependable” Todd Ryan opened the scoring in the 24th minute. But that was good as it got for the Lawmen as Sando recovered to swagger into the next stage of the competition.

Sando, led be the duo of ex-Police technical director Muhammad Isa and former St Ann’s Rangers coach Anthony Streete, has made little secret of its ambition to become a Pro League team.

And, yesterday, Club Sando walked into Pro League territory, shifted furniture around to suit itself and put its feet up.

Police custodian Adrian Foncette did well to keep out a free kick from Sando left back and former Connection employee, Kemuel Rivers, in the 37th minute. But, from the resulting corner kick, Rivers picked out team captain Teba McKnight, another former Connection player, whose powerful header crossed the line despite a valiant effort from opposing defender Christon Thomas.

Sando celebrated with a synchronised dance move at the sideline. And boy was it a McKnight for dancing.

Three minutes into the second half, San Fernando fans were dancing again as McKnight ran on to a through pass and forced a low shot under Foncette’s body and into the back of the net.

By the hour mark, Sando should have been three goals clear as Ryan Frederick failed to take either of two decent chances and the Lawmen imploded in fury at the impertinent lower league outfit that was making a mockery of all attempts to arrest its progress.

Thomas resorted to Police brutality with a lunge over the ball and into Rivers that referee Larry Lalchan punished with a straight red card in the 66th minute.

Five minutes later, Police left back Dexter Alleyne joined Thomas in the dressing room as he tired of being given the slip by Sando winger Devon Modeste, a former Rangers stalwart, and clattered into him for his second yellow card.

But Sando had no intention of curbing its provocation of the outnumbered Police outfit. By then, Streete had brought a certain Nigel “Ganja” Daniel on to the field.

And, in the 76th minute, “Ganja” was alight as a right side McKnight cross landed at the feet of the versatile former Pro League champion and Daniel’s shot deflected under the boot of Police defender Brendon Christopher for Sando’s third.

Police managed a less illustrious hattrick as Anton Hutchinson got the Pro League team’s third red card with a lunge at Modeste in stoppage time.

It did not damper Sando’s celebration and one supporter enthusiastically waved a flag that read: “We not stopping.”

There was certainly no stopping McKnight on the night.

(Teams)

Club Sando: 1.Andre Marchan (GK); 13.Kern Cupid, 20.Dwayne Charles, 22.Coneal Thomas, 6.Kemuel Rivers; 4.Anthony Parris, 9.Jesse Downing (12.Nigel Daniel 64), 19.Ryan Fredericks (18.Andre Phillip 87); 24.Devon Modeste, 11.Teba McKnight (captain) (10.Andy London 80), 8.Kerron Smith.

Unused substitutes: 33.Alexei Julien (GK), 3.Kirwyn Jackson, 14.Randy Britto, 26.Ryan Dipsingh.

Coach: Anthony Streete

Police FC: 18.Adrian Foncette (GK); 19.Christon Thomas [Red Card], 5.Anton Hutchinson [Red Card], 25.Kemron Purcell, 17.Dexter Alleyne [Red Card]; 6.Kenaz Williams (11.Kareem Perry 74), 21.Todd Ryan (captain), 39.Joel Lewis (7.Brendon Christopher 74), 10.Trent Noel, 8.Akiba Peters, 20.Elijah Belgrave.

Unused substitutes: 31.Theon Browne (GK), 1.Errol Charles, 27.Dwayne Salazar, 28.Aaron Stewart, 40.Jabari Williams.

Coach: Richard Hood

Toyota Classic results

(Fri Nov 8.)

W Connection 2 (Hashim Arcia 23, Yhon Reyes 51), Real Maracas 0 at Couva

Club Sando 3 (Teba McKnight 38, 58, Nigel Daniel 76), Police 1 (Todd Ryan 24 pen) at Couva

Defence Force 3 (Jemel Sebro 29, Richard Roy 54, 64), 1976 Phoenix 0 at Macoya

Caledonia AIA 3 (Noel Williams 4, Marcus Ambrose 72, Kithson Bain 79), St Ann’s Rangers 0 at Macoya

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:46:44 AM by Flex »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What a McKnight: Club Sando spanks Police in Toyota Classic first round
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »
Central F.C. 3-0 Joe Public

Malabar 4 -3 Jabloteh

Point Fortin 11-0 Stokely Vale

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
McNight is not Twenty-two. He may be Thirty-two.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
McNight is not Twenty-two. He may be Thirty-two.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2013, 08:38:49 AM »
Thanks. I got McKnight's age online. I will just leave it out until I can be certain.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
No worries, i just know him personally as we played with and against each other in school, club, and national teams. Good report though, thanks.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »
Good article. I wonder how Jack Horner feels right now :p

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »
Congrats to Central FC, despite playing an under strength JP team, a win is a win. I miss the game and will be in Trinidad tomorrow.

I was told that JP played very well until ref gave Ricardo Bennett a red card, after which Central scored 2 goals.

I will view the tape and see what really happen, I was very disappointed and I know Fenwick instigate things.

I was also glad to see JP players Tinto, Highley, Goodridge, Toussaint, Alexis, Weslie and Joseph helping their teams. JP did very well and to date many clubs are benefitting.

I expect to see a new winner this year, maybe Malabar FC, Club Sando or Point Fortin Civic.

Gorien Highley should be in the Pro League.

Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
Congrats to Central FC, despite playing an under strength JP team, a win is a win. I miss the game and will be in Trinidad tomorrow.

I was told that JP played very well until ref gave Ricardo Bennett a red card, after which Central scored 2 goals.

I will view the tape and see what really happen, I was very disappointed and I know Fenwick instigate things.

I was also glad to see JP players Tinto, Highley, Goodridge, Toussaint, Alexis, Weslie and Joseph helping their teams. JP did very well and to date many clubs are benefitting.

I expect to see a new winner this year, maybe Malabar FC, Club Sando or Point Fortin Civic.

Gorien Highley should be in the Pro League.

Thanks Jack. Watch the tape, then give us your verdict. It looked like a straight kick to the head of Jamaal Jack which, I think, gets a straight red?
Obviously, because JP had an understrength side, Fenwick evened things up by not starting Benjamin and Winchester. I think your keeper made some important saves to keep the score respectable.  :beermug:

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
JP were compact but didn't have any real possession in the match. 80 % of the match was played in the JP defensive third and Aberdeen did make a few good saves and collections.

Bennet's red card did open it up a bit. It was surely a straight red though. He stamped into Jack's lower abdomen.

Quintero-Winchester partnership now has 8 goals in 388 mins this season. That's a goal in every half.  :beermug:

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Highley entertaining: Malabar stuns Jabloteh in seven-goal thriller
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
Highley entertaining: Malabar stuns Jabloteh in seven-goal thriller

The unmistakable scent of marijuana wafted through the night’s breeze at the Marvin Lee Stadium in Macoya last night and, inadvertently or not, everyone got a sniff or three.

But, by the final whistle, the Centre of Excellence was high off Gorian Highley as the former youth prodigy scored a second half hattrick to lift Super League club, Malabar FC, to a 4-3 triumph against Pro League opponent, San Juan Jabloteh in the first round of the Toyota Classic competition.

It was the second Super League upset of this tournament so far, after Club Sando’s 3-1 triumph over Police FC on Friday night. And Guaya United can make it three wins for the lower league division today if it can make home advantage count against North East Stars from 3.30 pm at the Guayaguayare Secondary Ground.

Super League club Joe Public did not enjoy it so much as the “Eastern Lions” were whipped 3-0 by Central FC in Macoya while the Toyota Classic was an absolute nightmare for the Stokely Vale team, which was mauled 11-0 by Point Fortin Civic at the Mahaica Oval.

Ironically, Point Fortin failed to gain promotion to the Super League earlier this year before opting to skip a level by finding the resources to secure a berth in the Digicel Pro League. And Stokely Vale found out exactly how much the southern club has improved as the Tobagonians trailed 7-0 by halftime while Point Fortin registered double figures with 20 minutes to spare.

Playmaker Marcus Joseph led the rout with a first half hattrick while striker Andre Alexis and winger Matthew Bartholomew both notched doubles.

At Macoya, defender Dwight Pope gave Central an early opening but it was only after the 57th minute ejection of Public substitute Ricardo Bennett, for a clumsy high boot at Central defender Jamal Jack, that the game really opened up.

Central’s teenaged forwards were both on the score sheet as Dwight Quintero doubled his team’s advantage with a deflected strike in the 63rd minute and then threaded a pass through for substitute Rundell Winchester to grab a third for the “Couva Sharks” in the 67th minute.

Jabloteh might have thought it was heading for a similarly straightforward victory as the “San Juan Kings” stormed into a two-goal lead within the first 21 minutes and led 3-1 at the break.

Jabloteh attacker Rennie Britto had a hand in all three goals for his team. He teed up captain Kerry “El Corbeux” Baptiste for a typically predatory close range finish in the ninth minute; it was Baptiste’s 11th goal from eight outings this season.

And Britto, a journeyman whose former employers include DIRECTV W Connection, Central and Ma Pau, showed his own finishing ability as he steered the ball into the far corner, after being sent clear in the 21st minute.

Malabar earned a lifeline in the 33rd minute as winger Hayden Tinto’s angled effort deflected off Jabloteh right wing back Nyron Jones and past goalkeeper Kevin Dodds.  The item was harshly adjudged to be a Jones own goal and not credited to Tinto.

Seconds later, the Super League team should have been level as Tobago-born striker Kevon Woodley, another former Pro League journeyman, steamed into the penalty box but blasted his effort off the underside of the bar.

And, as Malabar bemoaned its bad luck, Jabloteh immediately increased its advantage as left wing back Lekon Elie’s low, precise cross was converted by Britto in the 35th minute.

At halftime, Malabar’s Rastafarian coach Julius Edwards might have whispered a silent prayer to Haile Selassie. But it was Highley who came to his rescue.

Highley made the score 2-3 in the 51st minute as he fanned over the ball with his left foot before surprising Jones and Dodds with an angled effort from outside the box that arrowed into the far corner.

And, nine minutes later, the former Arima Secondary Comprehensive schoolboy and Connection youth team player pulled Malabar level with a composed, curled effort around Dodds from inside the area, after a Tinto through ball.

Jabloteh could and should have reclaimed the lead.

Midfielder Jelani Felix saw a speculative left foot effort hit the far upright in the 56th minute, Baptiste missed a sitter in the 78th minute as he failed to connect cleanly with another Britto cross while, in the 82nd minute, Britto failed to beat Malabar goalkeeper Zane Coker in a one-on-one situation.

It was Britto’s last taste of action as Coker clattered into him and the diminutive attacker had to bodily lifted off the field and replaced by Shane Hospedales.

Highley showed no sympathy.

Five minutes from the end of regulation time, the three-man Jabloteh defence failed to properly clear its lines and Highley swung his left boot a third time and the ball whizzed to Dodds’ right.

And Jabloteh could find no way out of the Malabar matrix.

(Teams)

Malabar FC (3-1-4-2): 69.Zane Coker (GK); 22.Dinell Lopez, 3.Keston Pierre (captain), 15.Sherwayne Morris; 7.David Power Bernard; 26.Noel George (82.Shandel Samuel 86), 18.Kendall Velox (13.Calvin Shepherd 72), 9.Cyrano Glen, 10.Hayden Tinto; 19.Kevon Woodley, 20.Gorian Highley.

Unused substitutes: 1.Shane Mattis (GK), 6.Julio Noel, 11.Dorian Daniel, 17.Jameel Neptune, 90.Nicholas Armstrong.

Coach: Julius Edwards

Jabloteh (3-5-2): 1.Kevin Dodds (GK); 25.Alfie James, 18.Jevon Morris, 12.Jamal Spencer; 16.Nyron Jones (17.Kerry Daniel 64), 19.Dillon Kirton (14.Shaquille Bertrand 65), 9.Jelani Felix, 20.Kevon Piper, 3.Lekon Elie; 7.Rennie Britto (22.Shane Hospedales 83); 10.Kerry Baptiste (captain).

Unused substitutes: 13.Savion Kirton, 5.Daryl Mark, 6.Dario Holmes, 11.Akel James.

Coach: Keith Jeffrey

Toyota Classic results

Round of 16

(Sat Nov 9)

Central FC 3 (Dwight Pope 5, Dwight Quintero 63, Rundell Winchester 67), Joe Public 0 at Macoya

Malabar 4 (Nyron Jones OG 33, Gorian Highley 52, 61, 85), San Juan Jabloteh 3 (Kerry Baptiste 9, Rennie Britto 21, 35) at Macoya

Point Fortin 11 (Weslie John 24, Marcus Joseph 36, 40, 44, André Toussaint 43, Kelvin Modeste 45, Matthew Bartholomew 50, 57, André Alexis 63, 82, Andrei Pacheco 70), Stokely Vale 0 at Mahaica Oval

(Fri Nov 8.)

Club Sando 3 (Teba McKnight 38, 58, Nigel Daniel 76), Police 1 (Todd Ryan 24 pen) at Couva

Caledonia AIA 3 (Noel Williams 4, Marcus Ambrose 72, Kithson Bain 79), St Ann’s Rangers 0 at Macoya

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:43:25 AM by Flex »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Highley entertaining: Malabar stuns Jabloteh in seven-goal thriller
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Guaya 2 - 0 North East Stars

Jagdeosingh 22" 59"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
upsets galore!
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »
Guaya sends defending champs N/E Stars skidding out of Toyota Classic.
ttproleague.com.

Ex-employees Kevin Jagdeosingh and Ryan Stewart served as spokes in the wheels of North East Stars on Sunday, on a very sloppy Guayaguayare Secondary School Ground surface, as Guaya United defeated the defending Toyota Classic champions 2-0 in the 2013 preliminary round.

Jagdeosingh, also the brother of ex-Stars forward and Trinidad and Tobago footballer, Kendall Jagdeosingh, scored on either side of the half to send the Ron La Forest coached-Super League outfit into the quarter-final round.

While Stewart, a former Caledonia and Stars standout, was the general in midfield for Guaya, which also had other former Pro Leaguers as Beville Joseph, Carlon Hughes and John Stewart in its starting line-up.

Guaya advances to meet second positioned Digicel Pro League club Point Fortin Civic, which defeated Super League side, Stokely Vale, 11-0 in their preliminary round clash on Saturday at the Mahaica Oval.

Other quarter-final fixtures include: Caledonia AIA against Super League leaders Club Sando, recently crowned First Citizens Cup champions Central FC against Defence Force—their third meeting this season—and two-time Toyota Classic champions DIRECTV W Connection against Malabar FC.

Jagdeosingh, headed Guaya in front in the 22nd minute, after meeting a hard-worked Hughes cross which goalkeeper Cleon John only managed to touch onto the crossbar.

And in the 59th minute, Jagdeosingh doubled Guaya’s advantage when he directed in a cross from the left—in what a couple onlookers deemed a “Hand of God” item.

However in clear view, assistant referee Marvin Pierre didn’t object to the item.

Pierre was undisturbed in another incident, five minutes before the break, when Anthony Wolfe pleaded for a foul after going down inside the area against a John Stewart tackle.

But everything, including a fierce Guayaguayare crowd, a sloppy surface—because of constant rainfall during the day—and a motivated opponent were all against the visiting Sangre Grande club.

Stars also had themselves to blame despite failing to find footing on the eventually muddy surface.

Less than a minute into the contest, speedy Stars’ forward, Trevin Caesar—the most dangerous on the day—was denied by goalkeeper Kevon Saunders.

Guaya responded in the 9th minute when Earlon Thomas headed a dangerous Ryan Stewart free-kick just wide, and in the 11th minute Jagdeosingh had a crack high over bar.

Saunders was also a hero for Guaya, pulling off two excellent saves to deny Caesar before the break and preserve his side’s advantage.

Caesar, who struck wide of the upright in the 38th minute, showed his electrifying speed down the middle on a counter-attack in the 44th minute, blowing past two defenders but Saunders, quickly off his line, made a blockout.

A minute later, Saunders was forced into action and produced another save against the Tobagonian forward.

Caesar wasn’t done trying, but just couldn’t hit the target as Guaya defended with everything.

The former T&T Under 23 forward, who has been called up by T&T Senior Team coach Stephen Hart for the “Warriors” second leg friendly against Jamaica on November 19 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, struck the side netting in the 68th minute after he was set free by a Kennedy Hinkson throughball.

Hinkson found Caesar again in the 87th minute with a right side cross, but the Tobagonian struck wide again.

And 17 minutes earlier Anthony Wolfe was denied by the crossbar after meeting a Hinkson cross with a header.

Three minutes stoppage time played by referee Gordon Maloney didn’t do the Sangre Grande club, which survived a Ryan Stewart free-kick in the 87th minute, much favours.

2013 Toyota Classic Full Preliminary Round Results

W Connection 2—0 Real Maracas
Hashim Arcia (23’), Yhon Lopez (51’)

Club Sando 3—1 Police FC
Teba McKnight (38’), (48’), Nigel Daniel (76’)  ;  Todd Ryan (24’)

1976 FC Phoenix 0—3 Defence Force
Jemel Seabro (29’), Richard Roy (54’), (64’)

Caledonia AIA 3—0 St. Ann’s Rangers
Noel Williams (4’), Marcus Ambrose, (72’)  Kithson Bain (79’)

Saturday 9 November

Central FC 3—0 Joe Public
Dwight Pope (5’), Dwight Quintero (63’), Rundell Winchester (67’)

Malabar FC 4—3 San Juan Jabloteh
Own goal (33’), Gorian Highley (52’), (61’), (85’)  ;  Kerry Baptiste (9’), Rennie Britto (21’), (35’)

Point Fortin Civic 11—0 Stokely Vale
Weslie John (24’), Marcus Joseph (36’), (40’), (44’), André Toussaint (43’), Kelvin Modeste (45’), Matthew Bartholomew (50’), (57’), André Alexis (63’), (82’), Andraie Pacheco (70’)

Sunday 10 November

Guayaguayare United 2—0 North East Stars
Kevin Jagdeosingh (22'), (59')  ;

Teams

Guaya United—1. Kevon Saunders, 17. Ryan Stewart (capt.), 4. Kevin Jagdeosingh, 5. John Stewart, 7. Jody Allsop (70. Kheelon Ferrier 81st), 9. Earlon Thomas, 10. Carlon Hughes, 14. Sherlon Campbell, 18. Leston Paul, 19. Beville Joseph (Yellow Card), 77. Leroy Jones

Unused substitutes—80. Marius Des-Cartes (GK), 2. Marcus Ramkhelawan, 3. Akeil Alvarez, 6. Zavion Navarro, 8. Kerdell Alfred, 27. Kheelon Mitchell

Coach—Ron La Forest

North East Stars—22. Cleon John (capt.), 5. Aquil Selby (Yellow Card), 6. Jeromie Williams, 9. Akiel Guevara (7. Elijah Manners 62nd), 11. Anthony Wolfe, 12. Jason Joseph, 18. Kaashif Thomas (2. Kareem Moses 62nd), 19. Glenton Wolfe, 20. Trevin Caesar, 23. Kennedy Hinkson, 25. Keryn Navarro (3. Kevon Villaroel 81st)

Unused substitutes—1. Stefan Berkeley (GK), 4. Keithy Simpson, 16. Neil Mitchell, 47. Andrew Smith

Coach—Angus Eve

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
I like this Toyota Classic it just proveing my point,i'm not seeing the games but i could just imagine the lessons and wake up call these Pro teams are getting,these Super League teams are often criticized for the grounds/facilities they play on,the quality of coaches they have,the skills of the players etc etc i could just imagine the crowds and entertainment at it's best,this is what people in T&T wants to see.

Watch out for the Colleges,i tell alyu the local Coaches not easy. :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:23:54 PM by Coop's »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
Good to see the small community teams playing well!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
Super Leaguers ready for Point Fortin clash on Sunday.
ttproleague.com.

Supporters helped Guaya conquer Stars in Toyota Classic says Ron

Guaya United head coach Ron La Forest believes that his players “lived up to expectations” on Sunday by ousting defending Toyota Classic champions North East Stars 2-0 in the preliminary round.

Ron also believes that his team’s strong fan support contributed to the win, which sends the second positioned Super League outfit through to the quarter-final round of the 2013 Toyota Classic against second positioned Digicel Pro League club Point Fortin Civic on Sunday at the Mahaica Oval from 3pm.

“Our players aren’t really committed to the coaches,” said La Forest. “It’s that they have a requirement to deliver to the people of Guaya. They know they have a crowd to answer to, and if you were there on Sunday, you would have seen and heard the reaction of the crowd towards our players.”

The Guaya coach dismissed the claims by some that a muddy surface at the Guayaguayare Secondary School Ground served as an advantage to his team.

He said, “Both teams played on it. They (North East Stars) have their fitness programme and so do we. I have to give kudos to my physical trainers and my players.

“It rained for two days and the ground was heavy … but it was playable. I was happy in terms of the fitness of our players and from Sunday’s game I can say that my players are starting to mature. They are starting to blossom as we go along.

“You couldn’t tell who were Pro League, who weren’t,” said La Forest, a former Trinidad and Tobago international.

Read More

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
Interesting times indeed ...for local football . wishing Ron la and his Guaya team the very best keep the good work going ..... keep the guys focus .... come on super leaguers  make dem pro leaguers sweat all the way . no given for them !!  loving it :)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »
Lets go Central.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
I like this Toyota Classic it just proveing my point,i'm not seeing the games but i could just imagine the lessons and wake up call these Pro teams are getting,these Super League teams are often criticized for the grounds/facilities they play on,the quality of coaches they have,the skills of the players etc etc i could just imagine the crowds and entertainment at it's best,this is what people in T&T wants to see.

Watch out for the Colleges,i tell alyu the local Coaches not easy. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thank God North East Stars coach by a local coach to.

Malaba FC gets over 160 thousand dollars from Anil Roberts in support, they should be doing good.

De Pro League teams playing in deserted Stadium based out of communities and de Super League teams have all de community field and reaping support when it should be de other way around.

I expect Angus Eve to get fired soon.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guaya season: Handy Jagdeosingh floors Stars
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
Guaya season: Handy Jagdeosingh floors Stars

A Kevin Jagdeosingh double of contrasting style, one off his head and the other punched in with his right hand, brought the Toyota Classic first round to an end with another upset as Super League outfit, Guaya United, downed Pro League team North East Stars 2-0 in an east coast derby at Guayaguayare yesterday.

Guaya’s “Green Army” will now line up alongside fellow Super League teams Club Sando and Malabar FC in next weekend’s Classic quarterfinals.

Guaya will face Point Fortin Civic while Sando tackles Caledonia AIA, Malabar takes on DIRECTV W Connection and Defence Force and Central FC square off.

The Green Army will not be short of confidence.

“Come Guaya; let North East Stars go back Grande crying!” shouted one supporter, soon after kick off yesterday.

There were no tears at the final whistle but then resignation from the visitors had set in some time before. If there was any consolation for Stars coach Angus Eve, it is that not many teams could have resisted Guaya in those conditions.

The Guayaguayare school ground yesterday looked like a scene from a dark thriller: overcast skies, persistent drizzle, mud everywhere and a partisan sharp-tongued home crowd.

It did not help either that match referee Gordon Maloney failed to get his two biggest decisions right.

Still, Guaya, steered by former Joe Public and Ma Pau coach Ron La Forest, deserved its win.

Buoyed by the impressive central midfield partnership of captain Ryan Stewart and two-time former Trinidad and Tobago World Youth captain Leston Paul, Guaya stayed compact, pressured everything in its own half and almost always avoided the puddles as they moved the ball around menacingly on the heavy, sloppy ground.

From back to front, the Green Army was a united front of perspiration and resilience.

And yet Stars was unlucky to fall behind.

The Sangre Grande/Manzanilla team was on the front foot when Guaya countered successfully through striker Carlon Hughes in the 22nd minute. Hughes, under pressure from defender Aquil Selby, managed to get in an awkward left side cross, which flew between Stars custodian and captain Cleon John and his own goal.

John clawed the ball away from his goalmouth but only steered it into Jagdeosingh’s path; and the right winger easily nodded home for the opening item.

Stars’ best opportunity came in the 41st minute as right back Kennedy Hinkson, who was excellent throughout, found teammate and Manzanilla resident Anthony Wolfe inside the penalty box. But the latter’s progress was stopped by makeshift Guaya defender, Beville Joseph, who chopped him down from behind and the momentum carried the pair sliding across the area in the mud.

Remarkably, Maloney signalled for a corner kick.

But the visitors’ bemusement at that decision turned visitors turned to fury in the 59th minute as Jagdeosingh, a former Stars player and the elder brother of Thailand-based “Soca Warrior” Kendall Jagdeosingh, doubled Guaya’s advantage.

A left side cross fizzed into the area and Jagdeosingh had again sprinted in from the right flank to meet it. He appeared to have miscalculated the trajectory of the ball though. And, as Jagdeosingh strained his neck to connect with the cross, it was his right fist that made contact.

Somehow, Maloney and his assistant, Marvin Pierre, failed to spot the handled ball and a goal was given.

There was another talking point in the 70th minute as Joseph headed an attempted clearance off his own bar after a Wolfe header had finally beaten the grasp of in-form Guaya goalkeeper Kevon Saunders. The Stars players insisted the ball had crossed the line although that appeal seemed hopeful at best.

Eve introduced Kareem Moses and Elijah Manners off the bench and pushed Hinkson further upfield. But his choice to replace Kaashif Thomas, one of Stars’ best players on the day, always seemed a gamble and Manners was very poor.

Of course, it is not easy for a player to come on in a match of that intensity and in such treacherous conditions.

The Guaya back four looked like an uncomplicated bunch from a bygone era. If it moves, they kick it; if it lies still, they walk on it.

In central midfield, Stewart and Paul mixed physical strength with clever footwork and sound decision making while, upfront, Hughes and strike partner Earlon Thomas ran on to each other’s passes like a long-married couple.

The Grande team could have played for another 90 minutes and it probably still would not have breached the Green Army in those conditions once it had fallen behind.

Stars striker Trevin Caesar, as spritely and ambitious as ever, took out his frustration with a late tackle on Guaya right back Leroy Jones, which went unpunished by Maloney. But Caesar might have preferred a yellow card to the retribution that followed.

He spent the closing minutes of the game glancing nervously towards a section of crown that hurled incessant and violent abuse in his direction.

“Boy, you don’t want to go home or what?!” yelled a supporter. “Not in Guaya boy… You mad?!”

Unsurprisingly, Caesar was soon having a plaster applied to his chin as either Jones or a teammate made sure revenge was swift.

Civic will have its work cut out against this bunch next week.

(Teams)

Guaya United (4-4-1-1): 1.Kevon Saunders (GK), 77. Leroy Jones, 19. Beville Joseph, 14.Sherlon Campbell, 5.John Stewart; 4.Kevin Jagdeosingh, 17.Ryan Stewart (captain), 18.Leston Paul, 7.Jody Allsop (70.Kheelon Ferrier 81); 9.Earlon Thomas; 10. Carlon Hughes.

Unused substitutes: 80. Marius Des-Cartes (GK), 2.Marcus Ramkhelawan, 3.Akeil Alvarez, 6.Zavion Navarro, 8.Kerdell Alfred, 27.Kheelon Mitchell.

Coach: Ron La Forest

North East Stars (4-2-2-2): 22.Cleon John (GK) (captain); 23.Kennedy Hinkson, 5.Aquil Selby, 19.Glenton Wolfe, 25.Keryn Navarro (3.Kevon Villaroel 81); 6.Jeromie Williams, 12.Jayson Joseph; 18.Kaashif Thomas (2.Kareem Moses 62), 9.Akiel Guevara (7.Elijah Manners 62); 11.Anthony Wolfe, 20. Trevin Caesar.

Unused substitutes: 1.Stefan Berkeley (GK), 4.Keithy Simpson, 16.Neil Mitchell, 47.Andrew Smith.

Coach: Angus Eve

Referee: Gordon Maloney

Toyota Classic results

(Sun Nov 10)

Guaya United 2 (Kevin Jagdeosingh 22, 59), North East Stars 0 at Guaya

(Sat Nov 9)

Central FC 3 (Dwight Pope 5, Dwight Quintero 63, Rundell Winchester 67), Joe Public 0 at Macoya

Malabar FC 4 (Nyron Jones OG 33, Gorian Highley 52, 61, 85), San Juan Jabloteh 3 (Kerry Baptiste 9, Rennie Britto 21, 35) at Macoya

Point Fortin 11 (Weslie John 24, Marcus Joseph 36, 40, 44, André Toussaint 43, Kelvin Modeste 45, Matthew Bartholomew 50, 57, André Alexis 63, 82, Andrei Pacheco 70), Stokely Vale 0 at Mahaica Oval

(Fri Nov 8.)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:45:48 AM by Flex »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »

how was the game?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »

Malaba FC gets over 160 thousand dollars from Anil Roberts in support, they should be doing good.

De Pro League teams playing in deserted Stadium based out of communities and de Super League teams have all de community field and reaping support when it should be de other way around.

Here's the funny thing. Central playing Santa Rosa on Thursday in F.A. Trophy. Can't use Ato because they have school football on Weds, Toyota Classic on Fri and Sat. We're hunting around because we WANT to play in the community. Some fields just too poor (Gilbert Park, PLIPDECO, Caldrac) Some have no changing facilities or ways of securing the perimeter to charge gate fees (New Settlement, Edinburgh 500)

Looks like we may have to opt for Woodford Lodge, which gets very waterlogged.

Again, if we got support from the regional corporation like Point Fortin, more games could be played in the community.

But I am still concerned about safety. I note that the Guaya pitch had puddles, which can't be good for first class football and the Point vs Guaya match will attract two sets of very vocal supporters. Who will keep them apart?

There have been incidents at Ato Boldon recently when the referee for the Point Fortin game had his tyres slashed and on Friday, a car was broken into in the parking lot. As attendances increase, security must be beefed up.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »

I will still maintain if you are playing good entertaining Football don't matter where you play the crowds will come out,this is what the Super League teams are providing.
      If you all listen to what Ron Laforest had to say after the game you will understand where i'm coming from,they talking about the surface was muddy (excuse) he said both teams played on the same surface,they both have fitness trainers.
     Why fire Angus?NE doing better than they did in the past.

1]; } ?>