March 29, 2024, 07:35:35 AM

Author Topic: Leston Paul Thread  (Read 10236 times)

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leston Paul Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
Tallman that league pays better than our local league but it cannot be stronger !!

First of all it is harder by a long shot. It’s on the same level as Guatemala and Honduras. Alianza beat both Platense (Honduras) and Antigua GFC (Guatemala) just this past season in Concacaf also losing the match with Olimpia (in the last minute, after Olimpia had easily crushed Alajuelense of CR) while the TT Pro league teams were busy collecting 4-5 goals per match.

Second how come Willis Plaza who scored dozens in TT Pro and India, was terrible in Alianza and couldn’t score?

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
Dragon last season with Jamal Jack while being in relegation zone and dead last had two very close matches with Portland Timbers which were both lost 2-1 well into injury time. Portland was using all its starters. Meanwhile W Connection was taking 12 goals over two matches with Pumas reserves

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
These are the CVs of some foreign players in El Salvador. There are players with South America first division experience and some with Copa Libertadores experience. Not quite like the amateur Caribbean players in TT Pro from Barbados, St. Kitts, Grenada, etc

https://www.transfermarkt.com/wanderson-silveira/profil/spieler/195993

https://www.transfermarkt.com/sergio-souza/profil/spieler/74272

https://www.transfermarkt.com/lorenzo-frutos/profil/spieler/416223

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ricardinho/profil/spieler/389934

https://www.transfermarkt.com/james-cabezas/profil/spieler/105710

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 10:47:16 AM »
Tallman that league pays better than our local league but it cannot be stronger !!

A 2016 CONCACAF league ranking placed them three spots above the Pro League.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 10:53:31 AM »

A 2016 CONCACAF league ranking placed them three spots above the Pro League.

That ranking is directionally correct but Panama league is not higher than the other Central American leagues. Quality wise this is the ranking:

1. Costa Rica
2. Guatemala Honduras El Salvador Panama
6. Nicaragua
7. Belize

Money wise this is the ranking:
1. Guatemala
2. Costa Rica
3. Honduras
4. El Salvador
5. Panama
6. Nicaragua
7. Belize

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 11:40:19 AM »
WATCH: Highlights of Leston Paul - Trinidad and Tobago and CD Pasaquina midfielder

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_w7vhdltWnQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_w7vhdltWnQ</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 12:42:36 AM »
Back with Central FC.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
Leston Paul has joined Memphis 901 FC.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
WATCH: Leston Paul with the assist on Memphis 901 FC's second goal in their 3-1 win over Charlotte Independence.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5vVitFR4LxA?start=97" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5vVitFR4LxA?start=97</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2020, 12:14:19 PM »
WATCH: Leston Paul | 2020 Season Highlights | Memphis 901 FC

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Iti_WDGyei0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Iti_WDGyei0</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »
WATCH: Leston Paul displays strength and tenacity in providing a sublime assist during Memphis 901 FC's 3-2 loss to Sporting Kansas City II.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zR4DDveVCQk?start=71" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zR4DDveVCQk?start=71</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2021, 12:58:59 PM »
Leston Paul made his club leading 50th appearance for Memphis 901 FC on September 22nd 2021.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2021, 11:12:01 AM »
Good stuff, well deserved.

I think if he had skipped post-secondary and gone straight to professional he might have surpassed even players like Molino in terms of impact on the game. But that education will pay dividends long after his playing career. T&T needs good leaders this to clean up and rejuvenate sports
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Memphis 901 FC re-signs team captain Leston Paul
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2022, 06:27:01 PM »
Memphis 901 FC re-signs team captain Leston Paul
By Sarah Jent (memphis901fc.com)

Memphis 901 FC announced on Wednesday the re-signing of midfielder and team captain Leston Paul for the 2022 USL Championship Season pending league and federation approval.

“Leston is the only remaining player that has been with this Club since day one and is our Club’s fearless leader,” said Head Coach Ben Pirmann. “He epitomizes what it means to ‘Defend Memphis’, gives everything he has day in and day out and is a tremendous example to the rest of this team.”

Paul will return to 901 FC for a fourth season in Memphis after a move from Trinidad and Tobago’s Central FC in 2019. Since arriving in Memphis, Paul has been a constant presence in the middle of the pitch with 60 appearances and over 4000 minutes.

The Trinidadian veteran has also made multiple appearances for Trinidad and Tobago at the international level and brings a wealth of knowledge to the middle of the pitch.

Memphis 901 FC is coming off its first playoff appearance in team history in 2021 and is set to begin its fourth season in USL Championship in March. Additional information about the 2022 season will be released in the coming weeks.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2022, 02:00:03 PM »
WATCH: Leston Paul - 2021 Season Highlights

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xaMX5p5yluc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xaMX5p5yluc</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2023, 06:23:59 PM »
Captain Leston Paul has now amassed 100 appearances for Memphis 901 FC. Leston achieved the milestone whilst playing the full 90 minutes in a 1-1 draw against Detroit City FC. 👋

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2023, 07:16:59 PM »
Becoming the Skipper: Leston Paul captains Memphis with focus on here and now
By Josh Clayton (memphis901fc.com)

The day in Couva, Trinidad and Tobago, would go down in USMNT infamy.

On October 10, 2017, The Soca Warriors of Trinidad and Tobago would hold off the United States in the final match of 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying to win 2-1 in one of the biggest upsets in international soccer history.

With a look back at that match any American soccer fan can see future 901 FC Sporting Director Tim Howard in goal for USMNT, but Memphians might recognize the man patrolling the central midfield, wearing No. 23 for the side in red.

Leston Paul played all 90 minutes in that contest, and not long after the landmark victory for Trinidad and Tobago, he had agreed to move to Memphis to become one of the first Beale Street Boys.

“I was in Trinidad and was playing with Central FC. The owner of the team at the time knew the (then-Memphis) GM Andrew Bell. Andrew reached out to him and told him there was a new team forming in Memphis,” Paul said.  “He reached out and they came to Trinidad, the GM and the Head Coach. We met and sat down, they came to watch a game. It was a new project and they hoped to build something for the future and I was up for it.”

Since joining the startup soccer club for its inaugural season in 2019, Paul has seen a lot in the Bluff City. He was there for the 9-18-7 record in the first year. He was there for the Eastern Conference Semifinals in 2022. He was there when they knocked off an MLS team for the first time in club history in this year’s Open Cup.

Paul is the only player that has been with 901 FC since the beginning, and reflects on his time proudly after reaching his 100th cap with the club earlier this month.

“I came in and in the first year it was a bit rocky as a new franchise. We had a base where we were trending upwards compared to the first year. Every year we were building and getting better and went a step further,” he said. “It’s something that I want to be a part of just seeing that the team is growing every year and it’s a blessing to be a part of that.”

Becoming the Skipper

Paul quickly developed a leadership role with the club and was asked to become the permanent team captain ahead of the 2021 season. He knew the title came with more than just wearing the armband every match or leading the team out of the tunnel.

“Straight away I was like I would never turn this down,” he said. “It’s just making sure that the guys are comfortable and everyone is bought into what we’re doing. You have a team of 20-something players and everyone would come in with different ideas and different playing styles with different goals.

“Me being the captain is more than just on the field. I feel like I’ve done a great job of taking care of off the field stuff and making sure that everyone gives 100% when it’s game time.”

Those captain duties were limited entirely to off the field for most of 2023.

Paul has played over 7,000 minutes since 2019 only missing time for international duty, but this season has been different as the veteran missed extended time due to injury for the first time in his career in the first half of the season.

“It’s been tough because this is the first time in my 10-year professional career that I’ve been sidelined for this amount of time,” he said. “Dealing with injury, personally, has been tough with not being able to be here every day to drive the guys because I had to focus on my rehab and individual stuff.”

‘Every Game is a Final’

When Paul had to spend time away from the training ground, he’d get reports and feedback on how every session went, connecting with his teammates even if they couldn’t hear his voice everyday. Finally, Paul’s long-awaited season debut came on July 2 and he’s since moved back into the starting lineup to wear the captain’s armband nightly.

With six matches remaining in the regular season, Memphis is fighting for a top four position in the USL Championship to grab a home field advantage in the first round of the postseason. The veteran maintains that the club’s focus remains on the next practice and the next match, then let the chips fall where they may.

“We want to win as many games as possible and see what happens at the end of the season. Hopefully, we get a home field playoff game. It’s one game at a time and you don’t want to look forward too much and just look at taking care of Hartford,” he said. “Every game is a final in our minds. We go in with that mindset to win.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2024, 08:34:05 AM »
Memphis 901 FC signs Captain Leston Paul to contract extension through 2025
By Josh Clayton (memphis901fc.com)

Memphis 901 FC announced on Wednesday Leston Paul has signed a contract extension with the club through the 2025 season, pending league and federation approval.

The team captain will return for his 11th professional season and sixth season with the club on a player contract while additionally assuming an expanded leadership role, shadowing the coaching staff with eyes toward a managerial future.

“Eventually when I’m done playing, I want to move into coaching and now coming down to the last couple of years of my playing career, I think it’s the right time to start transitioning into that phase and shadowing the staff,” Paul said. “I think it’s a good place for me to start, being here for the past five years. I’m thankful for the opportunity and look forward to grasping it with both hands.”

The Trinidadian midfielder is the only player that has been with the club since its inaugural season in 2019, appearing in 107 matches with over 7,000 minutes on the pitch for 901 FC. Paul has served as team captain since 2021.

“I see Leston as a vital part of our plans, having been with the club since day one,” Head Coach Stephen Glass. “As well as his contributions to the team on the pitch, we’re looking forward to bringing Leston closer to the coaching staff in order to help him as he plans for the long term in his career.”

Paul returns with a strong Memphis midfield including Bruno Lapa, Samuel Careaga and Emerson Hyndman along with new addition Zach Duncan.

“I’m looking forward to having a great group of guys who are bought in to the culture and philosophy of the club and the city,” Paul said. “I’m going into my 11th professional year. I’ve been around the game for a while, but I think this is something new for me and I’m open and ready to learn.”

1]; } ?>