April 29, 2024, 12:23:25 AM

Author Topic: T&T makes right start.  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
T&T makes right start.
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:35:35 AM »
Warriors defeat French Guiana 4-1 in Caribbean Cup opener.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior team came from a goal down to complete a 4-1 victory over French Guiana to get their Caribbean Cup off to the desired start at Warner Park on Wednesday night.

With the “Money or maybe not” issue hanging over their heads for the past few days, skipper Jan Michael Williams and his men produced a valiant display to jump to the top of Group 5 after hosts St Kitts/Nevis could only muster a 2-0 win over Anguilla in the evening’s second encounter.

Those results set up a key fixture between T&T and St Kitts from 8pm on Friday as the match winner could well finish table toppers and book their place in the next phase scheduled to take place in T&T next month.

Head Coach Hutson Charles opted for Jamal Gay as his lone forward with three in the middle of the park using Densill Theobald, Hughtun Hector and Joevin Jones with Keon Daniel on the left and Kevon Carter on the right. His back found included Carlyle Mitchell, Seon Power, Daneil Cyrus and Robert Primus.

T&T looked untroubled in the early parts but were punished in the 16th minute when Hector slipped in the middle and French Guiana broke forward with Ludovic Balal taking possession and slipping forward to Ducan Darcheuolle who collected untroubled atop the area before turning and firing low past a stranded Williams to put French Guiana 1-0 ahead.

T&T tried to hit back immediately as a minute later Gay saw his effort going inches wide of the far left post after Hector’s cross from the right found him just inside the box. Moments later Hector also had an effort narrowly missing the target.

T&T began to find momentum and pushed forward in search of the equalizer against a French Guiana side that included defender Lesly Malouda who plays for French club Dijon FCO and is the brother of Chelsea winger Florent Malouda.

Daniel, coming off a series of sterling performances for the Philadelphia Union in the American MLS brought his A-game to Warner Park and was easily T&T’s player of the match. He had two close efforts before T&T eventually equalized. Daniel was also sturdy on the defensive as well.

The ex-Caledonia AIA midfielder was involved in the build up to the goal, playing inside to Jones who played a onetime ball and Hector did the rest, clinically firing past Rudy Merille in the 25th minute.

Nine minutes later, Theobald, another solid performer for T&T on the evening, served one from the left on a platter for the lurking Gay who stabbed home from close range to push T&T 2-1 ahead.

T&T forced four consecutive corners just before the interval but were unable to stretch their lead as their opponents did everything to keep themselves in the game.

On the resumption, T&T still could not pull further away and were found to be somewhat lethargic at times as the game approached the hour mark. Charles could be heard screaming instructions for his players to “step forward” as he clearly realised a two-goal advantage was crucial at that stage.

Hector forced  Merille to save from a tight angle and Williams had to save low to deny Ducan after some miserable work by T&T around the penalty box on 56 minutes.

Then came Daniel’s superb strike. From a Hector right side corner, Mitchell headed downward and Daniel met in on one bounce to unleash a left footed volley that left Merille without a prayer.

Theobald then combined with Daniel who unselfishly laid the ball across for Plaza to bury from close range for T&T’s fourth item.

The victory was taken in good stride by Charles who had earlier been sent off the bench by Cuban referee Marcos Despaigne for questioning the official’s failure to blow for a rash challenge on Theobald in the 86th minute.

“I thought we produced the kind of football that gave us just the right start for the tournament,” Charles told TTFF Media.

“We came into this match under some pressure of course because we know a lot of eyes were on us because of everything that was taking place. I thought the guys executed well. We had a shaky start but I was pleased with the way we regrouped and bounced back.

We had a couple clear cut chances and even though we failed to put them away, the guys kept going at French Guiana.

“I thought the French Guiana team was not a bad one by any means. They had some players who understand their roles well and they played with a lot of determination and were organized at times. But we also got our act together and it showed with the final scoreline.”

Skipper Williams added “It didn’t come easily. I thought the game was well played. It was the first time we had the chance to play together in an international game. It augers well for our future games. The key for us was staying together. We showed that strength,passion and we strived  to do well for the country”.

Teams

T&T: - 1.Jan-Michael Williams (capt), 5.Carlyle Mitchell, 3.Joevin Jones, 12.Robert Primus, 20.Seon Power, 17.Daneil Cyrus, 7.Hughtun Hector (2.Clyde Leon 88th), 19.Keon Daniel, 18.Densill Theobald, 11.Kevon Carter (14.Willis Plaza 79th) 15.Jamal Gay (10.Richard Roy 69th).

Unused Subs: – Marvin Phillip, Curtis Gonzales, Kareem Moses, Devorn Jorsling.

French Guiana: - 1.Rudy Merille, 2.Michael Rimane (5.Serge Lesperance 67th), 4.Rhdy Evens, 10.Lesly Malouda, 3.Marvin Torvic, 7.Albert Ataiso, 9.Darcheuoville Ducan, 6.Ludovic Balal, 12.Samuel Sophie, 15.Nekie Adipi (11.Gary Pigree 75th), 16.Cary Marigard.

Unused Subs: – Choune Ho-Meou, Francois Sampain, Miguel Haabo, Stephan Clet, Jean Petot-Homme.

Standings (Group 5)

P  W  D  L  GF  GA  Pts
Trinidad & Tobago  1  1  0  0  4  1  3
St Kitts & Nevis  1  1  0  0  2  0  3
Anguilla  1  0  0  1  0  2  0
French Guiana  1  0  0  1  1  4  0

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:08:38 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T makes right start.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:50:23 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uz9v5KiclV8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uz9v5KiclV8</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:13:21 AM »
Positive start!  :applause: Keep it up guys!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »
going by that line up...looks like one of the defenders played in Mid field ...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 05:50:38 AM »
going by that line up...looks like one of the defenders played in Mid field ...

Most likely Joevin Jones.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:06:03 AM »
Keon that was ahh very good goal keep it up
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:02 AM »
Thanks for posting the highlights Flex.

Anyone know what the yellow card that Gay received after scoring the second goal was for? Did he take off his shirt or something?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:38 AM »
Good to see Daniel playing to potential.  Anyone surprised that our local coaches were not able to get the best out of this lad?  As I will say again: our local coaches enable these so-called "star boys", who are led to believe that they have made it, even before anyone has even heard about them outside of Trinidad.  We need to instill a workmanlike attitude to the game back home; every session that a player takes part in should be one where he aims to better himself.  Our approach to training back home is too laid back, with not enough intensity and pace in how we play, so come game time, when we have to turn it up a notch, we can't do it, because we don't train at that level of intensity enough.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:56:50 AM »
Thanks for posting the highlights Flex.

Anyone know what the yellow card that Gay received after scoring the second goal was for? Did he take off his shirt or something?
for knocking over the corner flag

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »
Good to see Daniel playing to potential.  Anyone surprised that our local coaches were not able to get the best out of this lad?
The intensity of the MLS forced him to step his game up. Cyah develop a workmanlike attitude in a lackadaisical league. Which is a cultural thing more than a football thing.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
I was wondering what the hell the commentators were talking about "Ducan" with the goal for French Guiana.  Their scorer was Jean-Claude Darcheville who played in the Premier League and the Champions League.  I'm surprised they got rid of so much of their usual squad.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:17:57 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
Tenorsaw, I agree with you to apoint that the TT players needs to step up their game. But how can our guys play upstart football when Jack refuse to have our team play meaningful international games.After the 2006 WC cup how many meaningful international practice game have we played. I talking against non-Carib teams. Maybe 2 or 3. Correct if I am wrong. How many JA played? How much Canada played? How much Mex, CR, USA played. I know it is much more than us. And we have money? Jack hire Maturana. We could not even get a game with Colombia. They have decent club teams, we could not even invite a couple to play us.? How do youexpect our guys to gage their worth? We right next to Ven. We can't even get a game with them. The so-called door mats od SA football.

Yes, our guys needs work but the past administration is the one for our lowering of standards. ANd I don't see that changing until we figure out who running TTFF and what direction they moving. I do hope Tansley and Selby(VFOTT) have their organization to challenge this current admin.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
Tenorsaw, I agree with you to apoint that the TT players needs to step up their game. But how can our guys play upstart football when Jack refuse to have our team play meaningful international games.After the 2006 WC cup how many meaningful international practice game have we played. I talking against non-Carib teams. Maybe 2 or 3. Correct if I am wrong. How many JA played? How much Canada played? How much Mex, CR, USA played. I know it is much more than us. And we have money? Jack hire Maturana. We could not even get a game with Colombia. They have decent club teams, we could not even invite a couple to play us.? How do youexpect our guys to gage their worth? We right next to Ven. We can't even get a game with them. The so-called door mats od SA football.

Yes, our guys needs work but the past administration is the one for our lowering of standards. ANd I don't see that changing until we figure out who running TTFF and what direction they moving. I do hope Tansley and Selby(VFOTT) have their organization to challenge this current admin.
Well said!  My thoughts exactly.  Every time there is an official FIFA break, these countries are playing International friendlies with meaningful opposition to develop their squads.  What do we do?  NOTHING!!!!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
TBH that French Guyana team dont look as they could stretch anybody,lets hope that TT improve coz really they shouldn't score a goal on us and we should have beaten them by at least 6-0.I am happy we won and lets hope it gets better.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »

Well said!  My thoughts exactly.  Every time there is an official FIFA break, these countries are playing International friendlies with meaningful opposition to develop their squads.  What do we do?  NOTHING!!!!

Well, both of you are right, but the one thing omitted to date is the nature of being a big fish in a small pond.  A local baller with immense talent just simply has to leave our shores to realize his/her true potential and not because foreign better, which many of the leagues are (of course), but for the fact that you only push yourself as far as your competition would facilitate.  Additionally, the star boy mentality and culture of lassez faire dominates to some degree.

Having said that, as you all said, really nice to see KD doing some damage, even in those limited highlights he clearly stood out
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »

Deeks, my post is alluding to the culture of local coaching methods and the general lackadaisical attitude to the game back home.  No amount of friendlies can instill that attitude and intensity, unless the clubs change the format of their practice sessions, etc.  If you depending on the national team for development of players, you looking in the wrong place, if yuh ask me, as players spend the majority of time with their clubs.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »
Good to see Daniel playing to potential.  Anyone surprised that our local coaches were not able to get the best out of this lad?
The intensity of the MLS forced him to step his game up. Cyah develop a workmanlike attitude in a lackadaisical league. Which is a cultural thing more than a football thing.
Daniel has always been a goal threat, he scored in every competitive group round he ever played in for T&T except the hex of 2009.

very good player on his day, ah hope he gets much more goal in this tourney.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
TBH that French Guyana team dont look as they could stretch anybody,lets hope that TT improve coz really they shouldn't score a goal on us and we should have beaten them by at least 6-0.I am happy we won and lets hope it gets better.
That french guiana team had 6 foreign based players who all play in far more competitive leagues than our boys, give the guys credit, especially coming from a goal down. they dug deep got anchored and turned in ah great performance, lets not find fault, just big up the fellas, they did good.   :applause:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »

Deeks, my post is alluding to the culture of local coaching methods and the general lackadaisical attitude to the game back home.  No amount of friendlies can instill that attitude and intensity, unless the clubs change the format of their practice sessions, etc.  If you depending on the national team for development of players, you looking in the wrong place, if yuh ask me, as players spend the majority of time with their clubs.

It is very difficult for me  to gauge TT club football from foreign. But honestly I don't think players lackadasidical or laissz-faire. I doubt a man like John Williams will tolerate that and highly unlikely Charles-feverier will encourage that. I agree our local league needs improvement in coaching. That means money. If you bring all foreign coaches for the local league, who paying them, gov't?  Better coaching means more money. If you paying them coaches more money, obviously the main people, the players, will want more money, like it or not.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:36:56 PM by Deeks »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
Glad for de win, but how can a weak ass team like that score on us and we play a 4-5-1 formation.

Charles need to focus on that defence.

If we make it out I hope they call back Jlloyd, Birchall, Boucaud and Sheanon Williams, we need some solidity, still glad to see Cyrus and Primus there though.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »
Glad for de win, but how can a weak ass team like that score on us and we play a 4-5-1 formation.

Charles need to focus on that defence.

If we make it out I hope they call back Jlloyd, Birchall, Boucaud and Sheanon Williams, we need some solidity, still glad to see Cyrus and Primus there though.

I doubt that very much.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
Glad for de win, but how can a weak ass team like that score on us and we play a 4-5-1 formation

I don't think that team is that weak. They appear not to have practice very much. Their foreign based apparently did not settle in. But a win is a win. Good luck to the Warriors.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0m-wrKrx47Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0m-wrKrx47Q</a>

1]; } ?>