March 28, 2024, 10:38:59 PM

Author Topic: Man dies after roach-eating contest  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Man dies after roach-eating contest
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:30:53 AM »
Man dies after eating dozens of insects
local10.com

A man from West Palm Beach died after eating dozens of cockroaches and worms as part of an eating contest, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Edward Archbold, 32, participated in an roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach on Friday evening. The winner of the contest won a python.

According to BSO, Archbold, who won the contest, started regurgitating after it was over. He later collapsed in front of the store.

Archbold was then transported to Broward Health North, where he died.

Archbold's sister, Tina, said the family is devastated by his death. She said Archbold lived alone in West Palm Beach and, although he was outgoing and friendly, was also introspective and private.

The family is now planning his funeral.

"That's insanity. I mean, you're talking about a cockroach," said Shane Santa Croce, whose daughter was at the event on Friday. "They were giving away a really expensive snake, so, you know, people do what they have to do, I guess. Not my cup of tea for sure."

"Very saddened by this. I mean, it was a shock," said Ben Siegel, the owner of the store. "Eddie was a very nice guy. We just met him that night, but everybody that works here was very fond of him. He was outgoing, he was the life of the party, and he really made our night more fun."

Siegel said contestants must sign a waiver saying they are sober and don't have allergies to shellfish, which have similar allergens to cockroaches.

Luke Lirot, a lawyer representing Siegel issued a statement, saying in part: Some facts that have come out include the fact that all participants in the contest were entirely aware of what they were doing and that they signed thorough waivers accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest. The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken form an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles... Mr. Siegel and his staff did all that anyone could to try and help Mr. Archbold, and they send out their deepest sympathy to the family.

None of the other contestants had any medical issues after the contest.

Archbold’s body was transported to the Broward Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy. They are awaiting test results in order to determine a cause of death.

"At this point, I really can't talk about it too much just because we're still waiting to find out exactly what happened. We know Eddie passed away. Very, very sad," said Siegel.

BSO is investigating.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Man dies after roach-eating contest
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:43:25 AM »
c**t
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »
I guess he shouldn't have sprayed them with sheltox first...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:47 AM »
He look for dat.........cockroaches??

As Shadow say....what is life!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq5x3AqFB10
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:36 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »
Allyuh do sleep on roaches nah, they carry ah very heavy high allergy level.

nuff nuff ppl are allergic to roaches as i've learn when i took my kids to get tested. even ded roaches are not good to be in your houses since they give off fumes just like mold, which could also trigger allergic reactions just by breathing in that shyte.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
For a damn python.  People rell dotish oui!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
Disgusting :puking:

AirMan

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »
memories of watching fear factor just surfaced in my mind

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:28:53 AM »
Allyuh do sleep on roaches nah, they carry ah very heavy high allergy level.

nuff nuff ppl are allergic to roaches as i've learn when i took my kids to get tested. even ded roaches are not good to be in your houses since they give off fumes just like mold, which could also trigger allergic reactions just by breathing in that shyte.

dais is why so many people here allergic to you??

1]; } ?>