April 25, 2024, 12:35:32 AM

Author Topic: Prakash backs Howai's decision to fire lawyers  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Prakash backs Howai's decision to fire lawyers
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »
Prakash backs Howai's decision to fire lawyers

Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Prakash_backs_Howai_s_decision_to_fire_lawyers-174127771.html
By Camille Bethel camille.bethel@trinidadexpress.com
October 14, 2012

Political Leader of the Congress of the People (COP) Prakash Ramadhar sees no issue with the Minister of Finance Larry Howai's decision to fire lawyers who were representing the Ministry in the CLICO Commission of Enquiry and replacing them with new ones.

Under current Finance Minister Larry Howai, the team of lawyers headed by Senior Counsel Fyard Hosein and Michael Quamina, who had been hired under former finance minister Winston Dookeran's watch, were axed and replaced by Seenath Jairam SC, president of the Law Association, leading Jagdeo Singh and Congress of the People chairman Joseph Toney last week.

Ramadhar yesterday told the media during an interview at the COP office at Caroni Savannah Road, Charlieville: "The People's Partnership is about fairness and you cannot have a select few in any field whether legal or otherwise getting all of the work, all of the time. I can tell you I have been a lawyer for 25-plus years and I have never received a brief from any State agency or from government. I am very happy with that but in terms of the wider fairness, we do not want it to be that a select group getting all of the work and I think we should be looking at it in that positive light."

Ramadhar added that he would like to believe that this was an attempt to allow the best talents of the country to get opportunities that they have never had and said he is sure that the fired lawyers would understand that there is a need to share the spread of government work.

Responding to questions by the media Toney said he received a junior brief to represent the Ministry of Finance at the Commission of Enquiry.

"I want to make the point I am representing the Ministry of Finance. I am not representing the present Ministry of Finance I shall be representing the Ministry of Finance which was in office at the time in office of the Clico/HCU fiascoes so it is not to say that I will be representing the government of the day
."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:55:16 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Prakash backs Howai's decision to fire lawyers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:32 AM »
I have a slight suspicion that this wasn't Larry's call.

Ramadhar actually provides some insight into the selection process for state lawyers in this country. His statement is an incremental upgrade of 'is we time now'. Keep eating da food .

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
This gov't have a way of changing lawyers all willy-nilly.  Remember the AG changed the state lawyers who were fighting Ish and Steve's extradition case....and they lost that one.

But I can't understand something...is Winston Dookeran...his former COP leader and MoF who hired the first set of lawyers anyway.

And it is reported in the legal circles that the AG have his own clique when it comes to getting gov't briefs.  So wtf he talking about sharing up the thing now. 

I wonder if he when he was building his house, if he fired the initial contractor midway thru the construction and hired another contractor...based solely on the grounds that he giving other contractors an opportunity to "eat ah food" ?

I know if the money was coming out of their own pockets they woulda think twice before deciding to change lawyers after hundreds of thousands of documents already filed in the case.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »

The 2 lawyers a big time PNM ....... normal politics
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »
So allyuh leave the comess half way?

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-10-18/karl-damage-done-law-association

Karl Hudson-Phillips, QC, yesterday submitted the following letter to Seenath Jairam, SC, president of the Law Association, after Jairam had returned his brief to the Ministry of Finance following controversy over his appointment as attorney for the state in the commission of enquiry into Clico/HCU.

“Dear Jairam: “I am relieved to learn that you have returned the brief which you accepted to appear in the Clico commission of enquiry in place of our colleague, Fyard Hosein. “I intended to write you in any event because of my disagreement with what I perceive to be conduct short of the best traditions of the Bar. This is more so because you now hold the position of president of the Law Association of T&T.

“I recall your telephoning me soliciting my support for your candidacy to be elected president at the last annual general meeting of the association in June this year. “I told you then, and I repeat it now, that I could not support you because I did not have confidence that your motivation was purely to advance the standing of the profession in T&T.

“I think I put it more crudely and accused you of putting yourself forward only to ingratiate yourself with the executive to get briefs. When I spoke to you on the telephone I indicated that another senior colleague was present. You have realised the fear I then expressed. “My understanding is that Hosein and (Michael) Quamina were retained by the Minister of Finance and have been appearing before the Clico commission since its appointment.

“The commission was appointed on November 17, 2010 and its first sitting took place on June 30, 2011.The commission has therefore been sitting for almost 18 months.“I have spoken to Hosein who told me that his instructions were withdrawn on October 5, 2012 with no prior discussion with the client or reasons given. “He next received a letter from you, dated October 8, 2012, in which you indicated that you had accepted a brief delivered to you on Saturday, October 6, 2012 by instructing attorneys.

“This letter also indicated that briefed with you were Joseph Toney and Jagdeo Singh as your juniors. That was the first and only communication Hosein claims you had with him concerning your replacing him as counsel in the matter. I find this not only surprising but very disturbing. “Nobody questions the undoubted right of any client to “hire and fire” attorneys. But attorneys are under no obligation to accept briefs in circumstances which violate existing rules of professional conduct and the duties of one attorney to another in keeping with the traditions of our once noble profession.

The code of ethics, as you ought to be aware, states as follows: “‘48: An attorney-at-law shall not accept instructions to act in court proceedings in which to his knowledge the client has previously been represented by another attorney-at-law, unless he first notifies the other attorney-at-law of the chang and makes reasonable efforts to ensure that attorney has been paid for his services, but shall be deemed to have notified the other attorney-at-law if he has made reasonable efforts to notify him.

“‘52: Nothing herein contained shall be construed as derogating from any existing rules of professional conduct and duties of an attorney-at-law which are in keeping with the traditions of the legal profession although not specifically mentioned herein.’

“That the brief concerned an appearance before a commission of enquiry and not a court of law makes no difference.The spirit of the rule is that you should not accept instructions to appear before speaking to an attorney whom you know has been previously briefed in the matter.

“It is also a question of common professional courtesy and prudence. A client may be exercising his or her right to fire counsel but this may be for reasons which are unacceptable to the legal profession.

“In such a case counsel should refuse to accept a brief to replace a colleague. Attorneys are under no obligation to accept all briefs regardless of the circumstances surrounding the matter.

“It is not a question of entitlement to work (‘eat-a-food’) as one of your juniors is reported as stating or of professional competence to do the legal work involved. It is a rule for the protection of fellow colleagues in the profession to whom a special and very high duty is owed.

“Your conduct as president of the Law Association can be likened to that of the president of a trade union who accepts a vacancy caused by the lockout of a member of his union by an employer. That is called ‘scabbing’.

“The matter is compounded by the fact that I understand that you accepted the brief to appear before the Clico Commission although you appeared in appeal CA No 8295 of 2012 for the appellants, Percy Farrell & Others, against the very Colonial Life Insurance Company Ltd, Minister of Finance and the Attorney General.

“This is the very Minister of Finance from whom you have accepted the brief to appear in the Clico Commission. This is also offensive to the Attorney General against whom you appeared in the Court of Appeal and who is responsible for organising legal representation for the State including the Minister of Finance.

“You are reported in the Trinidad Guardian on Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 as saying that you returned the brief of the policyholders on October 4, 2012.

“The article went on to report your saying that a conflict of interest did not rise since ‘technically the lawsuit (the constitutional aspect was filed against the office of the Attorney General.’

“The report went on to quote you as saying that ‘I was approached on a brief and I accepted. A client is always entitled to change representation.’

“This report if correct, in my view, demonstrates an alarming and crass lack of knowledge and sensitivity by the president of the Law Association of T&T as to what is a conflict of interest.

“Indeed, if in fact there was a conflict of interest there was absolutely no justification in your returning the brief and thereby abandoning the client. But that is not all.

“I also understand that, after your public announcement of having returned the brief in the Farrell & Others matter, as recently as last Friday  October 12, 2012 you attended a conference with that client and other attorneys to discuss issues arising out of that appeal.

“If that is true, how do you reconcile continuing to be involved in that matter while accepting a brief from the Minister of Finance in the Clico enquiry?

“I fear that you have done irreparable damage to the Law Association of T&T and to the legal profession. As president you have failed to demonstrate an adherence, not to the highest, but to the most basic principles of professional etiquette and conduct of the Bar. You have failed the association and the profession.

“You have also done a grave disservice to the Hugh Wooding Law School of which you proudly declared in the Trinidad Guardian that you are among the first of its students to receive silk.
“Need I say more as to what your duty now is and what you should do?”
Karl T Hudson-Phillips, QC
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
And den!

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/I_M_NOT__LEAVING-175107231.html

I'M NOT LEAVING
Law Association president on call by Hudson-Phillips to step down:
By Asha Javeed asha.javeed@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Oct 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

Story Updated: Oct 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

Law Association president Seenath Jairam SC is not stepping down as president even as a bitter verbal battle is being played out publicly between Jairam and former attorney general Karl Hudson-Phillips, QC.

After a scathing rebuke from Hudson-Phillips for accepting a state brief last Thursday, Jairam yesterday lashed back with an equally stinging letter.

Jairam is neither stepping down as president of the Law Association, as he was called upon to do by Hudson-Phillips, nor does he believe there was anything "wrong" with him accepting a brief from the Ministry of Finance.

Yesterday, Jairam sought to clinically deal with the issues raised by Hudson-Phillips but questioned how personal correspondence exchanged between them reached the press.

In a reply to Jairam last night, which he also copied to the press, Hudson-Phillips insisted that Jairam's actions were "wrong" and refused to sympathise with him.

Last Thursday, Hudson-Phillips wrote to Jairam chastising him for accepting the CLICO brief from the Ministry of Finance along with junior counsels Joseph Toney and Jagdeo Singh after the Ministry fired former attorneys Fyard Hosein SC and Michael Quamina.

Jairam and Toney returned the brief on the same day.

And caught in the middle of the verbal barbs between the two senior members of the Bar is the council of the Law Association which held an emergency meeting last Friday, without Jairam or Hudson-Phillips to discuss the very public exchange.

The council, the Sunday Express learnt, is concerned with the public perception of the profession following last week's events. They're seeking a meeting with Jairam to account for his actions.

"If Mr Husdon-Phillips was serious, he should have filed a complaint with the disciplinary committee of the Law Association or called (Jairam) on the phone and spoken to him. It is quite simple, if a client doesn't complain, there is no conflict of interest with Jairam accepting the brief. But we need to hear from the president," a member of the council who did not want to be identified told the Sunday Express yesterday.

Jairam, in his eight-page reply to Hudson-Phillips' first letter, accused him of "egregious" conduct and of having an "insatiable craving for the limelight" as the letter meant for him found its way to the press "so as to enable you to obtain the fullest publicity of your vilification of my character and reputation by these unfounded and vile accusations against me; this was obviously your intention".

"Karl, you denigrated me and used me as a scapegoat despite our long and close relationship over the years to seize media coverage," wrote Jairam. See Page 11 for full letter.

He prefaced his letter by saying that he could not address him as "Dear Mamoo (Uncle) as he had done for over two decades because, "you are not deserving of such accolade or reverence as I cannot imagine my mother's brother would want to destroy his nephew as you are attempting to do to me".

Jairam said he never solicited Hudson-Phillips' support for the candidacy of the Law Association president and had merely called him in June as a courtesy.

With regard to the best traditions of the bar, Jairam said that Hudson-Phillips broke two rules in the Legal Profession Act of publicly chastising a member of the bar and treating with fairness and good faith.

"It is clear from your letter and your haste to go to the press before calling me that you were not acting in good faith and demonstrated a patent lack of courtesy and fairness," stated Jairam.

In dealing with the issue of professional conduct, Jairam produced correspondence which showed that he had communicated with Hosein twice and sought the attorney's interest in ensuring that their fees were paid before the resumption of the CLICO/Hindu Credit Union (HCU) Enquiry tomorrow.

Further, Jairam charged that Hudson-Phillips's comments about his meetings with the Farrell case involving CLICO which he had represented was "intrusive behaviour" which sought ammunition to "demean and denigrate me".

"You called Mr Farrell on the phone and questioned him about the conference to which you referred. That was highly unprofessional and unethical," he said.

In seeking to justify which Hudson-Phillips should not be permitted to "castigate" him, Jairam referred to a matter which the Queen's Counsel lost at the Privy Council because of "improper conduct".

"While you sought to berate, denigrate and belittle me by your letter, you demonstrated crass behaviour, not class, which is most unfortunate. As we get older, we should become gentler and wiser. Those are the hallmarks of a gentleman and a statesman," concluded Jairam.

However, Hudson-Phillips yesterday maintained that he had a duty which transcended friendship and personalities.

"Members of the legal profession and indeed all professions are under an obligation to report and expose serious deviations such as yours from proper professional standards. This is so regardless of the pain it may bring a colleague and indeed a friend. As president of the Law Association of Trinidad and Tobago you have the crushing responsibility to adhere to the highest standards of professional conduct. Your predecessor, Seetahal, learnt this in what must have been an embarrassing way," wrote Hudson-Phillips.

He insisted that Jairam missed the two issues of "serious infraction"—accepting a brief for which a colleague was formerly retained without enquiring the reasons for his losing the brief and the conflict of interest in having represented CLICO policyholders and now was on the other side of the fence.

"If no reasons were given to your colleague for removing him from the brief, you should have refused to accept the brief and not encouraged a client to dismiss a colleague without reason. Your first communication to Fyard Hosein was that you had already accepted the brief- wrong. Your letter to him after the fact seems to concentrate on the question of fees—this shows an unhealthy priority-fees-money—unless this was the prime motivation," wrote Hudson-Phillips.

Hudson-Phillips observed that Jairam's matter against the state on behalf of the policyholders appears not to have been concluded before he accepted the state brief.

"You must have realised that this was wrong otherwise there was no apparent reason for your returning the brief in that matter. I cannot congratulate you for returning the brief in the Farrell matter because one does not return a brief except for very good cause. Switching 'horses' to appear for the Minister of Finance was not a good cause. Nor can I join others in congratulating you in doing 'the right thing' (whatever that means in this context) for something you should never ever have done in the first place. That is twisted logic," he said.

Hudson-Phillips ended: "Your descent into vulgar personal vituperation is regretted and alien to this country in the Caribbean. We all need to band together to protect and defend moral and ethical standards in the legal profession and in Trinidad and Tobago. I wish you well."

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
Aside from the potential conflict of interest for having represented the CLICO policyholders and now representing the state... I fail to see what the issue is.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
So allyuh leave the comess half way?

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-10-18/karl-damage-done-law-association

Karl Hudson-Phillips, QC, yesterday submitted the following letter to Seenath Jairam, SC, president of the Law Association, after Jairam had returned his brief to the Ministry of Finance following controversy over his appointment as attorney for the state in the commission of enquiry into Clico/HCU.

“Dear Jairam: “I am relieved to learn that you have returned the brief which you accepted to appear in the Clico commission of enquiry in place of our colleague, Fyard Hosein. “I intended to write you in any event because of my disagreement with what I perceive to be conduct short of the best traditions of the Bar. This is more so because you now hold the position of president of the Law Association of T&T.

“I recall your telephoning me soliciting my support for your candidacy to be elected president at the last annual general meeting of the association in June this year. “I told you then, and I repeat it now, that I could not support you because I did not have confidence that your motivation was purely to advance the standing of the profession in T&T.

“I think I put it more crudely and accused you of putting yourself forward only to ingratiate yourself with the executive to get briefs. When I spoke to you on the telephone I indicated that another senior colleague was present. You have realised the fear I then expressed. “My understanding is that Hosein and (Michael) Quamina were retained by the Minister of Finance and have been appearing before the Clico commission since its appointment.

“The commission was appointed on November 17, 2010 and its first sitting took place on June 30, 2011.The commission has therefore been sitting for almost 18 months.“I have spoken to Hosein who told me that his instructions were withdrawn on October 5, 2012 with no prior discussion with the client or reasons given. “He next received a letter from you, dated October 8, 2012, in which you indicated that you had accepted a brief delivered to you on Saturday, October 6, 2012 by instructing attorneys.

“This letter also indicated that briefed with you were Joseph Toney and Jagdeo Singh as your juniors. That was the first and only communication Hosein claims you had with him concerning your replacing him as counsel in the matter. I find this not only surprising but very disturbing. “Nobody questions the undoubted right of any client to “hire and fire” attorneys. But attorneys are under no obligation to accept briefs in circumstances which violate existing rules of professional conduct and the duties of one attorney to another in keeping with the traditions of our once noble profession.

The code of ethics, as you ought to be aware, states as follows: “‘48: An attorney-at-law shall not accept instructions to act in court proceedings in which to his knowledge the client has previously been represented by another attorney-at-law, unless he first notifies the other attorney-at-law of the chang and makes reasonable efforts to ensure that attorney has been paid for his services, but shall be deemed to have notified the other attorney-at-law if he has made reasonable efforts to notify him.

“‘52: Nothing herein contained shall be construed as derogating from any existing rules of professional conduct and duties of an attorney-at-law which are in keeping with the traditions of the legal profession although not specifically mentioned herein.’

“That the brief concerned an appearance before a commission of enquiry and not a court of law makes no difference.The spirit of the rule is that you should not accept instructions to appear before speaking to an attorney whom you know has been previously briefed in the matter.

“It is also a question of common professional courtesy and prudence. A client may be exercising his or her right to fire counsel but this may be for reasons which are unacceptable to the legal profession.

“In such a case counsel should refuse to accept a brief to replace a colleague. Attorneys are under no obligation to accept all briefs regardless of the circumstances surrounding the matter.

“It is not a question of entitlement to work (‘eat-a-food’) as one of your juniors is reported as stating or of professional competence to do the legal work involved. It is a rule for the protection of fellow colleagues in the profession to whom a special and very high duty is owed.

“Your conduct as president of the Law Association can be likened to that of the president of a trade union who accepts a vacancy caused by the lockout of a member of his union by an employer. That is called ‘scabbing’.

“The matter is compounded by the fact that I understand that you accepted the brief to appear before the Clico Commission although you appeared in appeal CA No 8295 of 2012 for the appellants, Percy Farrell & Others, against the very Colonial Life Insurance Company Ltd, Minister of Finance and the Attorney General.

“This is the very Minister of Finance from whom you have accepted the brief to appear in the Clico Commission. This is also offensive to the Attorney General against whom you appeared in the Court of Appeal and who is responsible for organising legal representation for the State including the Minister of Finance.

“You are reported in the Trinidad Guardian on Tuesday, 16 October, 2012 as saying that you returned the brief of the policyholders on October 4, 2012.

“The article went on to report your saying that a conflict of interest did not rise since ‘technically the lawsuit (the constitutional aspect was filed against the office of the Attorney General.’

“The report went on to quote you as saying that ‘I was approached on a brief and I accepted. A client is always entitled to change representation.’

“This report if correct, in my view, demonstrates an alarming and crass lack of knowledge and sensitivity by the president of the Law Association of T&T as to what is a conflict of interest.

“Indeed, if in fact there was a conflict of interest there was absolutely no justification in your returning the brief and thereby abandoning the client. But that is not all.

“I also understand that, after your public announcement of having returned the brief in the Farrell & Others matter, as recently as last Friday  October 12, 2012 you attended a conference with that client and other attorneys to discuss issues arising out of that appeal.

“If that is true, how do you reconcile continuing to be involved in that matter while accepting a brief from the Minister of Finance in the Clico enquiry?

“I fear that you have done irreparable damage to the Law Association of T&T and to the legal profession. As president you have failed to demonstrate an adherence, not to the highest, but to the most basic principles of professional etiquette and conduct of the Bar. You have failed the association and the profession.

“You have also done a grave disservice to the Hugh Wooding Law School of which you proudly declared in the Trinidad Guardian that you are among the first of its students to receive silk.
“Need I say more as to what your duty now is and what you should do?”
Karl T Hudson-Phillips, QC

Eh long time I eh c a slap so.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>