April 20, 2024, 12:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon - 2012 MLS Rookie of the Year Candidate  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nick DeLeon - 2012 MLS Rookie of the Year Candidate
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7MOp75zhhQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/V7MOp75zhhQ</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
D.C. United rookie Nick DeLeon sets record
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:13:05 AM »
D.C. United rookie Nick DeLeon sets record
By Steve Davis (NBC Sports)

There will probably be too much momentum for Chicago Fire center back Austin Berry in the Rookie of the Year race – but that shouldn’t change the fact that D.C. United rookie Nick DeLeon has put together a wonderful first-year campaign.

DeLeon’s goal in last night’s playoff-clinching win was No. 6 on the year for 22-year-old out of the University of Louisville. He was the No. 7 overall pick in this year’s MLS draft.

Santino Quaranta, Freddy Adu and Andy Najar all got to five in their rookie years around RFK, but DeLeon grabbed the mark with a game to spare.

He started fast, and now it looks like he’ll finish on the upswing, but there was a little too much of a flat line in the middle, so Rookie of the Year might be a bridge too far barring something spectacular in United’s regular season finale.

Speaking of finishing on the uptick, D.C. United is now undefeated in its last six and has not lost once at RFK Stadium this year in 16 contests.

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nick DeLeon - 2012 MLS Rookie of the Year Candidate
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »
YO this man needs to be on the tandt squad as soon as possible.........

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

Offline lovingthislife

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
this isnt even part of his highlights gentilmen.  Even when he was not scoring he was making sht happen, and thats the truth!  He may be the most well rounded player on the field - we will see what comes!

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
what u mean... the man is a constant starter on the team.... i think the national team should put him on the team... i believe he's going to be an icon for the country...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
DeLeon’s late goal lifts D.C. United into Eastern final
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
By Thomas Floyd (The Washington Times)

A superstorm, a nor’easter and a pair of corresponding postponements stood between D.C. United and the New York Red Bulls playing their decisive playoff contest as planned. But when the match finally unfolded Thursday at Red Bull Arena, the drama proved worth the wait.

As the final whistle blew, United rookie Nick DeLeon sprinted, arms outstretched, to the roughly 300 United fans in attendance, many of whom had made the trip up Interstate 95 for the second straight day.
This high-flying United team is on a mission, one Mother Nature could only delay. On to the Eastern Conference final it goes.

“Just being a part of this group, it’s been a great journey,” DeLeon said. “It’s not over yet. But it’s been a great ride.”

Paced by a penalty-kick stop from backup goalkeeper Joe Willis, a savvy assist by veteran right back Robbie Russell, and a calm 88th-minute finish by DeLeon, United defeated New York 1-0 on Thursday to claim the two-game, total-goals conference semifinal by a 2-1 aggregate score.

United, who this season ended a four-year playoff drought, will open the Eastern Conference final Sunday at fifth-seeded Houston after the Dynamo upset first-place Sporting Kansas City in the other semifinal.

While DeLeon has enjoyed a stellar campaign, plying for Rookie of the Year honors, Russell made his first start since July 15 and Willis saw his first minutes since July 21. For a squad that remains undefeated (6-0-3) since reigning league MVP Dwayne De Rosario went down with a mid-September knee injury, the role of hero has been shared by prominent and unlikely figures alike.

“This team, it doesn’t matter who you’re putting on the field,” Russell said. “Everyone comes up with big plays.”

In a series defined by myriad twists of fate, it was only appropriate this match took a wild turn late. Put in alone on Bill Hamid in the 71st minute, New York forward Kenny Cooper rounded the charging United goalkeeper and fell to the turf, drawing a penalty kick and a red card.

Initially, Cooper converted from the spot after Willis came in cold. But referee Mark Geiger waved the goal off for encroachment — the same call he made against D.C. to cost the side a win over Philadelphia in August.

When Cooper retook the shot, Willis pushed it aside.

“You don’t have a lot of time to think,” Willis said of his abrupt entrance. “You’ve just got to get ready and get out there.”

Added coach Ben Olsen: “We bailed another guy out. We bailed Bill out. And that has been the M.O. of this team. They continue to do that when the chips are down, and there is a certain spirit about them.”

Minutes later, Red Bulls defender Rafa Marquez — a Mexican star renowned for his hot temper — received a second yellow card and was sent off, evening the sides at 10 players apiece.

With the series seemingly destined for overtime, DeLeon made his mark. Making a diagonal run behind the New York defense, he stayed onside thanks to lagging Red Bulls right back Connor Lade, latched onto a through ball from Russell, and slotted a shot past Luis Robles.

“[Russell] had a good disguised ball, and I just put my head down and hit the ball,” DeLeon said. “I wasn’t aiming anywhere.”

The aggregate win was United’s first playoff series triumph since a 2-1 victory over the Red Bulls in 2006, continuing a yearlong resurgence for what historically has been the league’s most successful club.
Second-seeded D.C. (17-10-7) and No. 3 New York (16-9-9) traded own goals for a 1-1 draw at RFK Stadium on Saturday in Game 1.

Originally set to be hosted by United on Wednesday, this decisive second leg was moved to Red Bull Arena when the organizations last week swapped home playoff dates following Superstorm Sandy. In theory, the switch was made to give the New York metropolitan area more time to recover from the storm’s devastation.

But the weather again intervened. As a nor’easter struck the region, a steady stream of wet snow caused an hour-long delay Wednesday. When it became evident the flakes were falling faster than they could be shoveled, the match was postponed altogether.

Some 700 United fans traveled Wednesday, only to head straight back to the District after the postponement. But that did not stop many from hopping on a league-provided bus Thursday to again make the trip.

“This organization has been through some tough years, and these fans have suffered,” Olsen said. “They were spoiled early, and then they went through a drought. So this gives them hope. This gives them excitement.”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HKNdnfDp52w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HKNdnfDp52w</a>

<a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756?launch=49753989&amp;width=590&amp;height=344" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756?launch=49753989&amp;width=590&amp;height=344</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: DeLeon’s late goal lifts D.C. United into Eastern final
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
I thought Hamid was harshly dismissed... but kudos to DC for staying composed down a man.  Well-taken goal by DeLeon too.

Offline lovingthislife

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »
what u mean... the man is a constant starter on the team.... i think the national team should put him on the team... i believe he's going to be an icon for the country...
I could not agree with you more.  His face will be know all over the world!

Offline lovingthislife

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
Tall, did you see his last two play off games?

Offline lovingthislife

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: DeLeon’s late goal lifts D.C. United into Eastern final
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 09:57:13 PM »
By Thomas Floyd (The Washington Times)

A superstorm, a nor’easter and a pair of corresponding postponements stood between D.C. United and the New York Red Bulls playing their decisive playoff contest as planned. But when the match finally unfolded Thursday at Red Bull Arena, the drama proved worth the wait.

As the final whistle blew, United rookie Nick DeLeon sprinted, arms outstretched, to the roughly 300 United fans in attendance, many of whom had made the trip up Interstate 95 for the second straight day.
This high-flying United team is on a mission, one Mother Nature could only delay. On to the Eastern Conference final it goes.

“Just being a part of this group, it’s been a great journey,” DeLeon said. “It’s not over yet. But it’s been a great ride.”

Paced by a penalty-kick stop from backup goalkeeper Joe Willis, a savvy assist by veteran right back Robbie Russell, and a calm 88th-minute finish by DeLeon, United defeated New York 1-0 on Thursday to claim the two-game, total-goals conference semifinal by a 2-1 aggregate score.

United, who this season ended a four-year playoff drought, will open the Eastern Conference final Sunday at fifth-seeded Houston after the Dynamo upset first-place Sporting Kansas City in the other semifinal.

While DeLeon has enjoyed a stellar campaign, plying for Rookie of the Year honors, Russell made his first start since July 15 and Willis saw his first minutes since July 21. For a squad that remains undefeated (6-0-3) since reigning league MVP Dwayne De Rosario went down with a mid-September knee injury, the role of hero has been shared by prominent and unlikely figures alike.

“This team, it doesn’t matter who you’re putting on the field,” Russell said. “Everyone comes up with big plays.”

In a series defined by myriad twists of fate, it was only appropriate this match took a wild turn late. Put in alone on Bill Hamid in the 71st minute, New York forward Kenny Cooper rounded the charging United goalkeeper and fell to the turf, drawing a penalty kick and a red card.

Initially, Cooper converted from the spot after Willis came in cold. But referee Mark Geiger waved the goal off for encroachment — the same call he made against D.C. to cost the side a win over Philadelphia in August.

When Cooper retook the shot, Willis pushed it aside.

“You don’t have a lot of time to think,” Willis said of his abrupt entrance. “You’ve just got to get ready and get out there.”

Added coach Ben Olsen: “We bailed another guy out. We bailed Bill out. And that has been the M.O. of this team. They continue to do that when the chips are down, and there is a certain spirit about them.”

Minutes later, Red Bulls defender Rafa Marquez — a Mexican star renowned for his hot temper — received a second yellow card and was sent off, evening the sides at 10 players apiece.

With the series seemingly destined for overtime, DeLeon made his mark. Making a diagonal run behind the New York defense, he stayed onside thanks to lagging Red Bulls right back Connor Lade, latched onto a through ball from Russell, and slotted a shot past Luis Robles.

“[Russell] had a good disguised ball, and I just put my head down and hit the ball,” DeLeon said. “I wasn’t aiming anywhere.”

The aggregate win was United’s first playoff series triumph since a 2-1 victory over the Red Bulls in 2006, continuing a yearlong resurgence for what historically has been the league’s most successful club.
Second-seeded D.C. (17-10-7) and No. 3 New York (16-9-9) traded own goals for a 1-1 draw at RFK Stadium on Saturday in Game 1.

Originally set to be hosted by United on Wednesday, this decisive second leg was moved to Red Bull Arena when the organizations last week swapped home playoff dates following Superstorm Sandy. In theory, the switch was made to give the New York metropolitan area more time to recover from the storm’s devastation.

But the weather again intervened. As a nor’easter struck the region, a steady stream of wet snow caused an hour-long delay Wednesday. When it became evident the flakes were falling faster than they could be shoveled, the match was postponed altogether.

Some 700 United fans traveled Wednesday, only to head straight back to the District after the postponement. But that did not stop many from hopping on a league-provided bus Thursday to again make the trip.

“This organization has been through some tough years, and these fans have suffered,” Olsen said. “They were spoiled early, and then they went through a drought. So this gives them hope. This gives them excitement.”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HKNdnfDp52w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HKNdnfDp52w</a>

<a href="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756?launch=49753989&amp;width=590&amp;height=344" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756?launch=49753989&amp;width=590&amp;height=344</a>

guess you did

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
From infamy to fame for Nick DeLeon
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »
From infamy to fame for Nick DeLeon
By Jeff Carlisle (Soccer USA)

Roughly two days after Nick DeLeon became a playoff legend, the D.C. United midfielder was still at a loss for words. His goal in the 88th minute in the second leg of United's Eastern Conference semifinal matchup against the New York Red Bulls proved to be the series winner, yet the soft-spoken Phoenix native is still trying to wrap his head around all that transpired.

First Superstorm Sandy caused a venue change that resulted in DCU losing home-field advantage. Then a snowstorm postponed the second leg, and finally, enough craziness in the match to fill an entire postseason culminated in his epic goal. DeLeon has since recorded another playoff tally, scoring against Houston in this past weekend's 3-1 first-leg defeat. But on this day, he was still basking in the upturn in fortunes for both himself and his team.

"Words don't do it justice," he said via telephone. "It's hard to explain, unbelievable for sure."

DeLeon's mother, Kristy, was a bit more verbose. Having returned to Phoenix after attending the match, she's spent considerable time watching the replay, including DeLeon's manic celebration.

She said: "I told him, 'Oh my gosh, honey, I thought your head was going to explode, you looked like you didn't know what to do.' He said, 'Mom, I wanted to rip my shirt off, but it got stuck on my head. Then I didn't know what to do.'"

So DeLeon finds himself living out his boyhood dream. This, by itself, ranks as an immense accomplishment, something that few ever get to experience. But what makes his success even more compelling is that DeLeon is just 17 months removed from the absolute lowest moment in his life.

DeLeon had a stellar junior season at the University of Louisville that saw the Cardinals reach the final of the NCAA tournament, and he seemed a lock to someday play in MLS. But in April 2011, police intercepted a UPS package addressed to DeLeon's house, one that just happened to contain two-and-a-half pounds of marijuana. DeLeon and two housemates were subsequently arrested for marijuana trafficking and possession of drug paraphernalia. Instead of looking at an MLS career, he was looking at a possible fine of $10,000 and up to five years in prison.

"Honestly, I couldn't believe it," he said during a midseason interview. "I was devastated because I knew how close I was [to a pro career]. I just saw everything that I worked hard for get flushed out in one moment."

The ensuing investigation revealed that DeLeon's involvement consisted of knowledge of what was taking place and nothing more. A spokesman with the Jefferson County Attorney's Office confirmed that after he successfully completed a pretrial diversion program, the charges against DeLeon were ultimately dropped.

It was a dark period in DeLeon's life, but one when Louisville coach Ken Lolla proved to be a critical ally. In the aftermath of the arrest, Lolla could easily have kicked his star midfielder off the team. Instead, he stuck by his player and used the incident as a massive teachable moment. The fact that DeLeon admitted to his knowledge of what was taking place helped as well.

"We felt that was a big part of our responsibility here, not to simply dismiss it, but to one, hold [DeLeon] accountable to it, and then help him grow through it," Lolla said. "He was responsible and owned up to it as well. It was one of those things where he could have blamed others or made excuses. One of the reasons why we were going to help him through this was he owned up to it."

DeLeon added that Lolla was "there like a dad, he mentored me through it," and the player ended up more than repaying his coach's faith. By his own admission, DeLeon's training habits were not what they needed to be, and with the incident behind him, he rededicated himself to having a great senior season and getting his MLS aspirations back on track.

"It was hard, but I've got to say it was probably the biggest wake-up call I've had and also the biggest motivator to change my lifestyle, just the way I live, and my priorities," DeLeon said. "Even though it was probably one of my lowest points, you've just got to flip it to the best you can.

"As far as just my work ethic, before, I was a lazy guy. I don't know what it was. But [after the arrest], every day I set priorities. I've got soccer, school and that's all that mattered at that time, and I just put all my focus into that instead of procrastinating or going out to practice and not really caring. That's how it changed. I went out and started busting my butt every day and getting my schoolwork done."

DeLeon went on to tally six goals and six assists during the season and helped lead the Cardinals to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament. Based on those performances he was thought to be a shoo-in to be one of the top three picks in the MLS SuperDraft. But DeLeon injured his hamstring early during the MLS Combine, preventing teams from getting one last look at the midfielder. Worse, there were whispers that DeLeon was not performing well in interviews with prospective clubs.

"I was just honest," DeLeon said. "I probably could have sold myself a little better."

But that honesty is precisely what appealed to D.C. United manager Ben Olsen, who remarked that such frankness "was all I was really looking for. But he's a great kid. He's a quiet kid, who you can tell really wants to make it, and is willing to do the work it takes to be a very good professional player."
That said, the United brass was skeptical that DeLeon would be around by the time the team made its first selection with the No. 7 pick. But DeLeon did fall that low, and DCU didn't have to be asked twice about whom it would take.

As it turned out, DeLeon became a professional in the same city where his father Leroy, a former Trinidad & Tobago international, had once performed back in the days of the NASL. And the impulse is to think Leroy had a massive influence on Nick's youth career. But the elder DeLeon was not a steady presence in his son's life, especially after he and Kristy separated when Nick was a freshman in high school. So it fell to DeLeon's mother, who also played, to support her son's soccer dreams. In addition to driving him and his sister Jessica to all their games, she served as an assistant coach on several of her son's teams. Given her love of the game, she didn't mind one bit.

"Nick sat in the car seat at my practices," she recalled. "He was pretty much on the field since he was conceived. I played until I was five months pregnant, so he was destined."

The road was far from smooth, however. Nick's talent was obvious from the start, so much so that people would often come up to Kristy and say: "There's something special about him." But Nick was one of the smaller kids on the field during his youth, and this lack of size saw him fail to climb the youth soccer ladder that often ends with selection to a youth national team.

DeLeon was finally spotted by Mario Sanchez, a coach who brought him into the Olympic Development Program setup as well as to UNLV, where Sanchez was then the head coach. When Sanchez left to become Lolla's assistant at Louisville in 2010, DeLeon followed.

Meanwhile, DeLeon had begun to grow into his body, complete with the broad shoulders that allowed him to finally compete on equal terms with physical opponents. When combined with his ability to take defenders one-on-one, his path to a professional career began to open up.

"There are some guys that have pretty good size but don't play big," Lolla said. "Nick plays big. He's strong, he's powerful, and yet he's very technical as well. That's the wonderful thing about Nick. I think he's the full package. He's explosive, he's got good feet, he has a good feel for the game, and he's capable of playing in physical environments and not only surviving but doing well."

That combination of traits led United player/assistant Josh Wolff to call DeLeon "as MLS-ready as I've ever seen a player come in." And DeLeon proved it on the field early in his rookie year, tallying three goals and three assists in his first seven appearances. Then came the dreaded rookie wall. DeLeon said that his legs began to feel heavy all the time, and he eventually picked up a hamstring injury that slowed his progress. Even after he returned, his form was slow to come back.

During this time, DeLeon leaned on veterans like Wolff, Dwayne De Rosario and now former teammate Danny Cruz to get him through that spell.

"Those guys have been in my ear every day; little tips, little things I could do here and there to improve my game," DeLeon said. "It was really everybody. But when I first got there Danny Cruz was a big part of it. It was more of a comfort thing. For some reason for me, it always takes me -- whatever level I've gone to, it was the same in college -- half a year to a year just to get fully acclimated. [Cruz] was just there for me when I needed someone to talk to."

The time off had its benefits, however, as it gave DeLeon time to rest his body. Gradually the midfielder regained his fitness and enjoyed a strong finish to the season, ending up with six goals and four assists.

"DeLeon has got his juice back, his explosion is back," Olsen said. "He's willing to take contact and put his stamp on the game a little bit more. His confidence on the ball, everything has just come back. Early in the year I was so impressed with the way he played the game, his confidence on the ball, his understanding was beyond your average rookie. And I don't think he cares who he plays against, or how many people are in the stands, or if it's a playoff game or a Wednesday night game. He plays hard, he wants to win, and he's a competitive kid."

And in the process, there has been a reconciliation between father and son as well. Leroy has come to see Nick play on his old stomping grounds and is now in frequent contact, talking him through the rigors of being a pro.

"My dad has just been a big mentor for me, to help put my mind at ease when I'm feeling stressed, so he's been a pretty big impact," said the younger DeLeon.

Now DeLeon finds himself peaking at precisely the right time. If not for his midseason lull, there might have been more rookie of the year buzz surrounding him. But the United midfielder will gladly settle for the progress he's made, both on and off the field, over the course of the campaign.

"I'd have to say, my speed of play has gotten a lot better," DeLeon said. "And my decision-making, I'd say those are the two things that have really progressed over this first year. Mentally, just the day-in, day-out grind of going in and giving it everything you have in practice and games. I would say that's been a huge learning experience as well."

Just one of many.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: From infamy to fame for Nick DeLeon
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 06:01:20 AM »
Whip out the tissue!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 12:13:10 AM »
Whip out the tissue!

Ent!!!!

So it's confirmed, he is the ROY, what's next? Hmmm lemme see, Socawarriors or USMNT???? Decisions, decisions:)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
Nick DeLeon declines T&T call-up

Nick DeLeon has never been to Trinidad & Tobago, the Caribbean nation where his father is revered and his younger sister has played for the junior national teams. The D.C. United winger was born and raised near Phoenix, idolized American players and longed to someday represent the United States on a big stage.

So late last week, when the Trinidadian federation unexpectedly invited him to camp ahead of a Feb. 6 friendly against Peru, he declined. For now, his mind is set on someday playing for the U.S. squad.

“I grew up here and it’s always been my dream to play here,” DeLeon, 22, told the Insider. “It felt pretty good to get invited, to be honest. It’s a big honor. But I don’t think it’s the right time.”

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
Yeah i never thought he would come now, at the earliest the decision to join us would be made after the 2014 world cup roster is made. If he is left off that roster then we can make another move for him.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
Respect. I am officially a fan

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
Call in Boucaud as a replacement.Let's see what he has to offer.Having one of his best seasons in the English leagues.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
good decision.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nick DeLeon - 2012 MLS Rookie of the Year Candidate
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »

Nick DeLeon has never been to Trinidad & Tobago, the Caribbean nation where his father is revered and his younger sister has played for the junior national teams. The D.C. United winger was born and raised near Phoenix, idolized American players and longed to someday represent the United States on a big stage.

So late last week, when the Trinidadian federation unexpectedly invited him to camp ahead of a Feb. 6 friendly against Peru, he declined. For now, his mind is set on someday playing for the U.S. squad.

“I grew up here and it’s always been my dream to play here,” DeLeon, 22, told the Insider. “It felt pretty good to get invited, to be honest. It’s a big honor. But I don’t think it’s the right time.”

(continue)

U does only show up when news good for u?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »

(continue)

U does only show up when news good for u?
good now we can get over this youth :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
Zeppo back with a bang yes ...

Well, let me be disagreeable! What's so good about the decision?

1. He had NOTHING to lose! Nutten. Well, ostensibly nutten (cue Ben Olsen here ... What kinda conclusion was to be expected after a long chat with Ben Olsen? Really?!? Objective Ben Olsen?)
2. Apparently none of the rocket scientists were cultivating him in the meantime (reasonable inference based on springing de ting on him; doh matter this friendly just popped up; ent we know a next friendly had tuh have surfaced?)
3. Want to prove something? Come play v. Pizarro, Farfan et al.
4. Feel Klinsi into popular sentiment? Cho! He handling Dempsey rougher than De Leon and Dempsey is not a newbie. Anybody really expect to see him in a TT uniform now come Gold Cup? Steups.  Bookmark this and move on.

He's an American player and he will not be part of our 2018 future. If de U.S. make him bounce his head he might want to come this route ... buh guess what? ...  I rather focus on the Winchesters of the world. They not culturally ambiguous ...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:58:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

1. He had NOTHING to lose! Nutten. Well, ostensibly nutten (cue Ben Olsen here ... What kinda conclusion was to be expected after a long chat with Ben Olsen? Really?!? Objective Ben Olsen?)
2. Apparently none of the rocket scientists were cultivating him in the meantime (reasonable inference based on springing de ting on him; doh matter this friendly just popped up; ent we know a next friendly had tuh have surfaced?)
4. Feel Klinsi into popular sentiment? Cho! He handling Dempsey rougher than De Leon and Dempsey is not a newbie. Anybody really expect to see him in a TT uniform now come Gold Cup? Steups.  Bookmark this and move on.

He's an American player and he will not be part of our 2018 future. If de U.S. make him bounce his head he might want to come this route ... buh guess what? ...  I rather focus on the Winchesters of the world. They not culturally ambiguous ...

Agreed, since this won't tie him to Trinidad, it possibly could've been your link up with the US. I'm sure the US would've been watching. I was looking forward to seeing him run for we but say wha? Moving on
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

Good post Asylum, not sure why many surprised nah, right or wrong de man grow up knowing very little of his dad and his trini ties, so why would this surprise anyone.  Is not like folks who grow up in the US (or elsewhere) with strong island ties, play scrimmage football with their father in Bklyn or whereever and after dat buss up ah bake and shark at Golden Palace wid some shandy to wash it down; they were practically non-existent for de yute.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
Yeah I don't get this wait 'an see idea. Since the ame isn't binding, wouldn't it be a good opportunity to both visit T&T and get a feel for the T&T National Football Scene?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nick DeLeon - 2012 MLS Rookie of the Year Candidate
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Yeah I don't get this wait 'an see idea. Since the ame isn't binding, wouldn't it be a good opportunity to both visit T&T and get a feel for the T&T National Football Scene?

He had nothing to lose
Youtube Channel

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »

He had nothing to lose
but we did..let play who WE HAVE for we to play, and build something that is definite own the road..

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
It good fuh fackin we!!

we don't need him or none ah dem boi, we have very capable players who is born or bred trinis, why the fack we need him!! stuepss it's just like zamora, what de fack we needed him for during the World cup when we had stern john and kenwyne jones!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
Whats there to get, it's ah stall game! if he never gets ah US call up, or if he does and things don't work out then he has good ole second fiddle T&T to fall back on, it's call keeping your options open. zamora did it.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Zamora lol I forget about he. I wonder if he will come begging to play for we gold cup. You know England doh want him again.
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>