March 28, 2024, 02:51:02 AM

Author Topic: Jamal, oh Jamal...  (Read 3249 times)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamal, oh Jamal...
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »
Text of letter to TV6 Head of News Dominic Kalipersad
Story Created: Oct 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT
Story Updated: Oct 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

Mr Kalipersad,

I write these few lines as a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago and a silent observer of all things in the media...

These words are not official Government positions but just the vibes of an insignificant, Muslim coolie from San Juan.

I respect your role in the media and the years of effort and sacrifice you have carved in the media fraternity in our country.

I may not always agree with your point of view and opinions expressed but I will give my life for you to have the freedom to express yourself.
I know the importance of a free press and I have seen for myself what happens when the media is used and abused.
Something seems to be going on at TV6 and the Express and it is not too nice.
A blind man can see that there is a clear bias at both TV6 and Express.

On the one hand, items and reports are being presented in the name of investigative journalism and the only rationale for these reports is to embarrass certain individuals.

Perceptions are being encouraged and these perceptions are based on lies, half-truths and innuendo.

It is clear to me that there is a specific agenda to discredit Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and members of her Government. Since May 2010, I have seen for myself a deliberate and targeted barrage of accusations and misrepresentations about the People's Partnership as if there is an ultimate objective to make the Government fall. Notwithstanding the fact that the Partnership received an overwhelming mandate from the People, TV6 and Express have embarked on a sad journey to discredit and destroy.

To make matters worse, a deliberate programme has appeared on both TV6 and the Express, where the PNM is being re-branded, refreshed and re-aligned so that it will become a new PNM ready for governance with the fall of the People's Partnership.

I have noticed that anytime {without exception} there is a perceived problem concerning the Partnership Government, there is always a PNM official ready, willing and able to make a comment.
This is most unfortunate.

May I remind you, Mr Kalipersad, that I respect the views of TV6 and Express. If it is the wish of the Editorial Board to see the removal of the People's Partnership, I have no problem with that. That is their right and privilege so to do. As a private company, you all have every right to go in any direction. All I wish is that you be fair.

Stop the mud-slinging and speculation against members of the Government and be willing to let people defend decisions that have been made. Within the PNM, there is a view that no one else has the right to govern this land and up to today, we often hear that "this is PNM country".

Unfortunately, this myopic and naive view can never be true. There are many other citizens, not of the PNM, who are quite capable of offering leadership in this land. We should be willing to change and encourage change in this country.

For too long, we have been caught in a backward and dangerous mode of maintaining stupid and archaic ways of dealing with our problems.

Whether we like it or not, the People's Partnership was given a mandate to change the way we do business in this country. Those who fight to maintain the status quo must now give way to meaningful change.

Let it not be one-way traffic for the PNM or an orgy of embarrassment for the Partnership.
"The theory of the free press is not that the truth will be presented completely or perfectly in any one instance but that truth will emerge from free discussion.

Breathe easy, brother.
There is room for all of us.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Text_of_letter_to_TV6_Head_of_News_Dominic_Kalipersad-175715821.html

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamal, oh Jamal...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »
Jamal under fire
...after 'personal' e-mail to TV6 claiming bias

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Oct 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT
Story Updated: Oct 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM ECT

Communication Minister Jamal Mohammed yesterday came under fire for attacking TV6 and the Express under the veil of a personal and private opinion.

Mohammed on Tuesday sent a private and confidential e-mail to TV6 Head of News Dominic Kalipersad, which he said he was writing not as Communication Minister, but as an "insignificant, Muslim coolie from San Juan".

In the e-mail, Mohammed accused TV6 and the Express of being in cahoots with the Opposition People's National Movement (PNM) in an attempt to destabilise the People's Partnership Government through biased reporting.

It is not the first time Mohammed has claimed biased reporting at TV6 and the Express. Last Saturday, Mohammed also e-mailed an Express journalist, in his private capacity, taking issue over an article which he believed was taken out of context, saying his doctors had called "to find out if I had thoughts of committing suicide".

Mohammed's personal e-mails to media members have sparked serious concern over his inability to differentiate between his personal and professional portfolios.

Kalipersad said Government members have every right to criticise the media.
"If the objective of the e-mail, however, was to point out alleged bias against the PP Government and perceived collusion with the Opposition PNM, what was the Minister's strategy in writing a letter of complaint to the head of a news operation under the cover of personal observation?" asked Kalipersad.

"Minister Mohammed, the Government spokesperson, as it were, as Minister of Communication, erred in thinking he could divorce his personal and professional capacities in dispatching such accusations. I am tempted to forgive his clear inexperience in these matter. But, I am also wary that he may be cleverly attempting to exercise influence on the media, while hoping that his views would not be subjected to public scrutiny," he added.

Express editor-in-chief, Omatie Lyder also wondered why Mohammed would think he could write "Private and confidential. Not for Publication" letters as the Minister of Communication, and questioned whether Mohammed needed help with understanding his portfolio.

"Ever so often, I get an earful from a government minister about how biased we are against the Government at the Express, and this latest letter to the TV6 Head of News by the Communication Minister is in the same vein. I have seen a letter he also wrote to one of our journalists, which makes me wonder if this particular minister needs help understanding his portfolio," she said.

"When the 2010 election campaign was in progress, the Express was accused of being in bed with the People's Partnership, now we are being accused of being against them. But we have a job to do and will continue to do it fearlessly. The mere fact that we seek other opinions for our stories shows that we strive for balance," she added.

President of the Media Association of Trinidad and Tobago (MATT) Suzanne Shepherd said an official statement will be released soon.

She noted, however, that when the PNM was in government, it too alleged there was biased reporting by the Express and TV6.
"In all the years I've been in media, I've heard this allegation made so often. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of the role of the media. It seems as though politicians are happy as long as we operate as PR (public relations) agencies for them. The role of the media is to look at what politicians are doing, put the spotlight on them to ensure they are serving the people," she said.

Veteran journalist Sunity Maharaj was critical of Mohammed's e-mail, stating it was difficult to accept that it was sent by a minister of communication.

"Assuming, however, that it has been verified as having been sent by him, I cannot see how Minister Mohammed could expect to enjoy the right to anonymity and privacy in a matter in which he is clearly representing the responsibilities of his portfolio as well as the interest of the Government," she stated via e-mail.

"The letter is puerile, ill-advised and unworthy of a minister of government. I am sure that the Express and TV6 are more than equipped to defend themselves against his allegations. The question that remains, however, is whether the Government of Trinidad and Tobago can defend itself against the consequences of such actions by one in such high office," Maharaj added.

Patricia Worrell, former lecturer at the University of the West Indies School of Journalism, stated that Mohammed's actions were worrying.
"First, I want to express some surprise that the Minister thinks that he can speak as an insignificant individual at this point. His portfolio adds immediate weight to whatever pronouncements he makes on the media in T&T. To think otherwise suggests a somewhat disconcerting naivete about himself and his responsibilities," she stated via e-mail.

Worrell said it would be much more fruitful for Mohammed to attempt to establish some grounds for working productively with the media instead of indulging in some personal conspiracy theory.

"...I want to suggest that the Prime Minister and her Government (for whom Mr Mohammed speaks) should continue to be very careful to avoid acts which may appear to be attempts at browbeating any media organisations and their representatives," advised Worrell.
Former president of the Law Association Martin Daly stated that Mohammed seems to believe the mandate given to this Government by the people suspends freedom of the press and free speech.

"The reference to his origins reflects post-colonial insecurity and his own class bias against those he perceives to be part of an elite that does not understand what the average man on the Priority Bus Route is thinking. Note that he wants to keep his communication secret so it may influence you without his views being subjected to the free discussion that he says he supports. It is dreadful that this type of thinking is part of the official communications portfolio," stated Daly.

The Express tried to reach Mohammed yesterday, but several calls to his cellphone went unanswered.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Jamal_under_fire-175715831.html

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
This comedy of errors no longer funny.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »

as alot of commentators put it..this seems to be a smokescreen and i cant say im inclined to disagree..something(s) brewing..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »

as alot of commentators put it..this seems to be a smokescreen and i cant say im inclined to disagree..something(s) brewing..

I doh watch news watch 2nite 2 c d news bout JA. Only 2 hear this nonsense. Me eh really care what brewing I just fed up 2 d nth power. D coolie comment is really not necessary.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:52:37 AM »

This really ent no different to Manning running from the Barber shop to the Radio station.
 All politicians find that the media is their enemy when they in power.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:56:57 AM »

This really ent no different to Manning running from the Barber shop to the Radio station.
 All politicians find that the media is their enemy when they in power.

honestly i aint feelin sorry for those hosts because it was a couple impsy dj boys quite frankly talkin a setta nonsense and uninformed uneducated jabber like the usually do...it was wrong for patos to do but honestly as a listener yuh does want to run up in the studio and hit dem clout in they head for d shit they usually speak...

mr mastana bahar is a totally different thing especially when considering the slew of episodes of the PP vs the media..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:58:47 AM by mukumsplau »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:59:32 AM »

I doh watch news watch 2nite 2 c d news bout JA. Only 2 hear this nonsense. Me eh really care what brewing I just fed up 2 d nth power.D coolie comment is really not necessary.6

I agree. However, I think Martin Daly captured partially why it was used. Spot on, Mr. Daly. I would contend also that it was used to juxtapose deliberately the perceived sophistication of Dominic Kalipersad versus the "insignificant, Muslim ... from San Juan".  Clearly, he din account for Dominic Kalipersad not being intimidated.

To wit ... Despite whatever we have in common, we are really not the same Mr. Kalipersad ... and dahis de only damn reason yuh supporting the other side, buh ah know your game, and the PP, through me in my private capacity, is calling you on it. What he really wants to say is that DK is traitor to his race.

Other than that, this is material for a paragraph of the book Jah Gol should write about governance under the PP. I suggest a foreword by Brownsugar.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:07:10 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »

I doh watch news watch 2nite 2 c d news bout JA. Only 2 hear this nonsense. Me eh really care what brewing I just fed up 2 d nth power.D coolie comment is really not necessary.6

I agree. However, I think Martin Daly captured partially why it was used. Spot on, Mr. Daly. I would contend also that it was used to juxtapose deliberately the perceived sophistication of Dominic Kalipersad versus the "insignificant, Muslim ... from San Juan".  Clearly, he din account for Dominic Kalipersad not being intimidated.

To wit ... Despite whatever we have in common, we are really not the same Mr. Kalipersad ... and dahis de only damn reason yuh supporting the other side, buh ah know your game, and the PP, through me in my private capacity, is calling you on it. What he really wants to say is that DK is traitor to his race.

Other than that, this is material for a paragraph of the book Jah Gol should write about governance under the PP. I suggest a foreword by Brownsugar.

Glad 2 know Daly found his voice again and no longer writing bout fishing.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »

Last night via Twitter TV6 almost facetiously asked if the term the Minister used to describe himself was acceptable. I responded that perhaps more telling was the closing statement.

Breathe easy, brother.
There is room for all of us.

I think the Minister has misconstrued lineage with kinship and misguidedly felt liberated to reveal his tribal motives. I feel this is more important than his crass language, not that we should excuse crassness from a Minister of Communication, or in another country, Information. Another misfit appointed by the President at the advice of the Prime Minister. She'll hope it goes away but I suspect that it won't. It will be days before she says anything at all .

I found Prakash Ramadhar's comments about distinguishing between public and private statements to be a sort of attempt at sorcery meant to keep thought and reason at bay.  Now a loyal lieutenant of the PM - How far from grace has he fallen.

I don’t know Mohammed but his judgment is evidently obscenely poor and he compensates with hubris masquerading as humility. The formula is one part bold, two parts stupid.

;D Seeker you feel you bright I won’t be baited into saying the obvious. I won’t say the minister shouldn’t make statements like this. I won’t say he should know better that to believe he could take of his ministerial hat. I won’t say the PM should act and I definitely won’t say his comments are injurious to the UNC et al and their supposed multicultural platform.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:16:05 PM »
[I don’t know Mohammed but his judgment is evidently obscenely poor and he compensates with hubris masquerading as humility. The formula is one part bold, two parts stupid.

+1
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
So...wha this smokescreen supposed to be blocking now?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »

WHO KNOWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS but he give license 4 peeps 2 call on d radio and say that coolie ... uwill just say ah repeatin what d minister said.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
The motion of censure against the AG begins next week.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »

Begins today......I will be tuned into the Parliament Channel from the word go.  I expect nothing more than circus and pappy show behaviour from the Government benches......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:12 AM »

Begins today......I will be tuned into the Parliament Channel from the word go.  I expect nothing more than circus and pappy show behaviour from the Government benches......
They will talk about Calder Hart and Juliana Pena.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »

They will talk about Calder Hart and Juliana Pena.

4 SHRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
Like someone said. He telling Dominic that he is a friggin traitor for investigating the PP every move. It seem that they never did that to Patos. But we know better.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »
PICK A PAM POLITICS

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »

Nah..hadda be something deeper. De ole talk go pass back and forth...and den govt MP's would fall in line and thats it. It hadda have something more.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
OPV = SMOKE SCREEN?

1]; } ?>