April 28, 2024, 11:52:48 PM

Author Topic: Tim Kee is one of two TTFF presidential nominees; promises to work with SWO  (Read 8532 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Tim Kee to be elected unopposed.
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 04:12:38 AM »
Tim Kee to be elected unopposed.
By Andrew Gioannetti (Guardian).

Nine days before what was anticipated to be the most vital elections in local football’s history, the only person remaining to oppose Raymond Tim Kee as president of ther T&T Football Federation, Colin Murray, has pulled out, essencially creating a one-horse race.

Murray, who called a media conference at Hotel Normandie, St Ann’s, yesterday, called it quits citing personal reasons for his decision, essencially handing Tim Kee, a TTFF vice-president, the post of president, unopposed.

The TTFF’s Interim President Lennox Watson also ruled himself out of the November 11 election, over a week ago. Murray, Carib Brewery Sponsorship and Promotions Manager, announced that he was approached by the Northern Football Association several weeks ago, and gave much thought and consideration into the prospect of presidency and agreed to run for the position, before making his final decision yesterday.

“It is a personal decision... I will not be entertaining any questions. I would like to congratulate Raymond Tim Kee in his assumption of president of the TTFF,” said Murray, offering no more insight into his decision. “We all know the state of football, and we know what needs to be done,” he said.

Murray turned his attention to the imminent president, warning him of beaurocratic swindling. “During the election (campaign), and I’m going to say it very openly, I heard people (have) been promised things, people have been promised assignments, from coaching to administration, among other things. I really hope that Raymond is not playing that game. “I am very hopeful that he does not play politics with our football,” Murray said.

He continued, “If he is really interested in football, and wants football to move forward, Raymond will stand up like a man and fight for what is right.” Murray claimed that he was given “ammunition” to use against Tim Kee in the election, but thought better of it. “I am not a politician,” he said. “What you see is what you get from me.”

He said that granted things remain the same with the affairs of football, he may return to run for the post in the next election, in 2014. He thanked the four zones which he met with and got support from, along with the Women’s Football League, and the other associations which has a stake in the election.

He even went on to defend some of the zones saying that there are “good people in football” He said: “All the talk that football has people who don’t know what they’re doing and football is being run badly, let me tell you: there are good people. I think the problem is that football needs to be managed properly.” Murray also urged the incoming president does not exclude the contributions of the North Zone becuase they showed him support in the campaign.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Kee is one of two TTFF presidential nominees; promises to work with SWO
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:43 AM »
please pray for we football. Since Tim Kee promise Tallman his ear, maybe we cud start putting together some tough questions for an interview on how we want to see the TTFF (/A) change. I for one would want to start with the electoral process - more bodies being able to nominate and vote.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
Murray is entitled to withdraw, but to assert that things have become too political is f**kery disingenuous. Inherently, the position and all routes leading to obtaining it are political.

Colin Murray is not an idiot. Mere withdrawal of his candidacy should have been accompanied by the forwarding of a replacement candidate agreeable to the zones that supported Murray - otherwise the football public have been played for fools.

This outcome is a travesty and is anti-democratic. If one wants to pull out for personal reasons so be it, but the consequences of withdrawal should not impact the overarching dynamic of local football and its future. I find this state of affairs to be a regression, and there should be an outcry on the matter, rather than a helpless or reluctant endorsement of Tim Kee. Such acquiescence runs counter to all the progressive voices heard on this forum and others. This is bullshit.

And let me say this also ... the candidate for this position should be younger than 50 and not a consumer of the same old wine rebranded in new gourds.

Best we rally outside TTFF offices and line up for drinks from  the poisoned chalice because that's the cup we're drinking from in silence.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:23:16 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 09:05:38 AM »
Good post Asylum  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
When was the last time we've had a meaningful TTFF election (one with more than one candidate)?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
Asylum, agree with much of what you are saying.  Where are all the 'good people in football' Murray referred to? Are they so subservient they run back to relive the same nightmarish program with open arms like an abused woman? It will take perhaps a decade or more to cleanse football of this culture of dependency and gutless mediocrity.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:39:32 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Kee on i sports, topic today is football
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Chatting 1 set ah nonsense. Imagine Andre ask if u will keep Groden he eh say HELL NO.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Chatting 1 set ah nonsense. Imagine Andre ask if u will keep Groden he eh say HELL NO.
Tim Kee say he will keep Groden? The same Groden LP say was as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. You would think replacing some of the poor performers in the organization would be close to the top of his to do list.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
Listen to Tim Kee's interview again to get a clear understanding and in regards to keeping Groden put it on replay. I wish him the best. lets move forward.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:46:39 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
Tim Kee say he will keep Groden? The same Groden LP say was as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike. You would think replacing some of the poor performers in the organization would be close to the top of his to do list.

His 2 do list should be 1. Fire Groden 2. Address d TTFF/TTFA issue. If that eh happen he eh serious.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

His 2 do list should be 1. Fire Groden 2. Address d TTFF/TTFA issue. If that eh happen he eh serious.

add constitutional reform to that list

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Tim Kee to take TTFF presidency today.
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2012, 05:58:57 AM »
Tim Kee to take TTFF presidency today.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Former T&T Football Federation (TTFF) first vice-president Raymond Tim Kee, will officially take up the post of the federation’s president, when the uncontested election for the lone post is conducted today, at Cascadia Hotel, St Ann’s.

Tim Kee will face no opposition, with the only other nominated candidate, former T&T cricketer Colin Murray opting out of the election nine days ago.

Interim president Lennox Watson also ruled himself out.

Instead, Tim Kee, an insurance executive, will take up the portfolio as president from Watson, who replaced long-standing TTFF president Oliver Camps in October, 2011, who resigned after 19 years at the federation’s helm. Watson will remain as a vice-president.

The incoming president is expected to be faced with several challenges upon his appointment, not least in finding a resolution in the disjointed relationship between the federation and the Ministry of Sport, which has resulted in inconsistency of funding for national football teams.

Early last month Minister of Sport Anil Roberts advised at a media briefing that the federation should not expect government funding until an election is contested. Watson claimed subsequently that the date of the election has no relation with Roberts’ threat.

Tim Kee is also expected to face the challenge of settling a bonus dispute involving 13 players of the 2006 World Cup team and surfacing accounts from revenue of the said World Cup, which the federation indicated would have been resolved by the end of last month. He has indicated, however, that all subsequent judgements by the courts will be respected.

When Tim Kee announced his nomination for presidency at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain, over two weeks ago, he vowed to bring accountability, transparency and stability to the federation. He also addressed issues of constitutional reform.

According to Tim Kee, his tenure as vice-president, which ended in 2009, came as a result of “pressures” with respect to his political ties. However, after being nominated and seconded, and receiving support from several stakeholders from affiliated associations, Tim Kee decided to contest the election.

He has since distanced himself with estranged former TTFF special advisor Jack Warner, who was at the heart of “cash for votes” bribery accusations during the FIFA presidential election last year, which ultimately led to the opening of an inquest by the sport’s world governing body, and Warner’s stepping down.

Tim Kee issued a release 12 days ago which stated, “One of the main reasons which influenced my decision to contest the election is the fact that Mr Warner is no longer in the TTFF, CFU, Concacaf or FIFA, and has in fact resigned from all football bodies.”

Tim Kee takes over TTFF today.
T&T Newsday Reports.

A new chapter of local football will start today when Guardian Life insurance executive Raymond Tim Kee takes over the reins of president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) today.

The Federation will be staging its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Cascadia Hotel, St Ann’s where Tim Kee, the ex-TTFF vice-president, is set to be elected unopposed in the election process.

The road was paved for Tim Kee to take charge of the local football body after his sole rival Colin Murray shockingly decided a week ago to opt out of the presidential race. Murray did not give any specific reason for dropping out of elections.

Acting TTFF boss, Lennox Watson — who took over after the resignation of Oliver Camps last year — also refused to put his hat in the election fray, but is expected to revert to his previous role as vice-president, alongside Rudolph Thomas and Krishna Kuarsingh.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tim Kee: I am my own man.
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »
Tim Kee: I am my own man.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

Today we have taken just another small step in pursuit of national greatness.

The democratic process that has resulted in the appointment of a President and a National Executive signals that as a Federation we have come of age; we have matured, a full sign that we are ready to face the world and again stamp our name in the annals of world football history.

As a Federation we have been through some rough times, scarred internationally, regionally and even on the national level but never have we lost focus a sure sign that our faith is intact and together once again we shall overcome.

Like the proverbial ostrich, I am not prepared to bury my head in the sand at what has been both the recent and antecedent memory of our Federation but as President, what I am prepared to do is trod the beaten paths that would bring about healing to those who have been wounded, reconciliation for those who have been ostracized and redemption for the many who have been left behind.

This is the time for restoration.

This is the time when all hands are needed on deck and none must be left behind.

This is the time when as lovers of the beautiful game we need to stand together and mend the breeches, which have been broken.

These are serious times, in which we live, not for the faint and timid but for those who dare to be strong and those who dare to be brave.

Today I stand on the structure, which was built by Presidents past. Today, I am the beneficiary of the collective wisdom of not only past presidents but also past national executives. I have come to this Presidency with no grandiose perception of who I am and what I can do except to confess that my goal is to leave local football a little better than I have found it.

Read More

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:01:28 AM by Flex »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Kee: I am my own man
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
Admittedly I realize I need professional help for my cynicism yes, sigh:(
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »
Admittedly I realize I need professional help for my cynicism yes, sigh:(

Boy, I used to wonder why the old timers was so cynical. I had to find out the hard way.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2012, 04:53:08 AM »
 Everyone know, no normal fella would take on a job he cyah finish...so next question normally is...WHY ?
Yet most great men brave and/or chupid so.on the other hand, some fellas just have lotsa time on they hands  an like ah good fight for a good, is like they get a vision, not many of those today..but maybe, maybe, this time...hey, the last one made us see a W C, ent

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2012, 05:23:20 AM »
time will tell...this fella have a nation of foootball lovers behind ime...the TTFF is like what bush did to the US...it go take time to heal...in the right hands...lets wait and see.
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 06:23:34 AM »
Tim Kee first test is immediate,the national senior team,we seem to have a problem in getting our senior players together. 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Tim Kee: I am my own man.
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2012, 07:13:53 AM »
New TTFF president must earn the nation’s trust.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

“I don’t know very much about the gentleman who is taking over,” British attorney Michael Townley told Wired868. “I do know he was vice president for a decade when so many unethical things were going on. So I can’t see that he will exert much influence in the right direction given that he has never done anything to help before.”

Today, at the Cascadia Hotel, Guardian Life executive Raymond Tim Kee is set to become the third Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) president in just over a year. His acceptance speech is sure to be peppered with warm sentiments, he will shake hands firmly, smile and promise blue skies.

But Tim Kee will not erase the doubts regarding his ascension. Not yet, anyway.

Townley has never visited Trinidad and Tobago for more than a few days at a time and, even then, you can probably count his arrivals at the Piarco International Airport with one hand. But as the lead lawyer for 13 World Cup 2006 players in one of football’s most scandalous cases, he spent many hours studying the behaviour of the local football organising body.

And, devoid of sentiment, Townley sees no reason for excitement at this change at the TTFF’s helm.

It is hard to dismiss emotion at ground zero, though.

Trinidad and Tobago football needs someone to open a window, let some sunlight in and start sweeping. And it is easy to be seduced when Tim Kee, a salesman by profession, promises to do just that.

Football is considered a poor man’s sport. But that is only at ground level.

National Security Minister Jack Warner, a school teacher by profession, became a millionaire from football without ever kicking a ball.

The ongoing World Cup bonus dispute revealed that millions of dollars went straight into accounts under Warner’s supervision without even stopping at the TTFF’s offices first. And the High Court case only singles out funds for one qualifying campaign.

God alone knows how much money might have been diverted in almost four decades as a football administrator if Warner was so compelled.

The influence of his position also made Warner one of the Caribbean’s most recognisable names and paved the way for his successful entry into the political arena.

Even now, the evidence suggests that Warner refuses to walk away from the game.

In April, the United National Congress (UNC) Chairman used his political office in an attempt to starve the TTFF of funds after he accused the local body of failing to back his chosen successor for the post of Caribbean Football Union (CFU) president. Sport Minister Anil Roberts has waged war with the TTFF ever since.

Tim Kee says that his impending presidency will bring a halt to friction between the TTFF and the government. But who could sanction such a ceasefire but Warner himself?

In the short-lived 2012 TTFF election campaign, Tim Kee was vocally supported by Central Football Association (CFA) president and a close Warner aide, Brian Layne. The other presidential nominee, Colin Murray, surprisingly withdrew his challenge after nominations closed for personal reasons that he refused to disclose.

Whispers within the football circuit hinted that Murray, a marketing and events manager, was asked to step down by his superiors at Carib Brewery.

If true, it would suggest that the forces working in Tim Kee’s favour are very powerful indeed.

The new TTFF President emphatically denied any link with Warner and insisted that he could not be tempted by money. The latter is a curious statement since the gathering of wealth is considered to be an incurable compulsion by the affluent and, in any case, the post at stake is an unpaid one.

Warner has also demonstrated the clout that comes with the position of “football boss” and Tim Kee, an active member of the People’s National Movement and a former State board chairman, is surely not immune to the allure of influence.

None of the aforementioned is proof that Tim Kee is at the behest of Warner or drawn by personal greed, of course.

Tim Kee pointed out that it would be impossible for anyone to be nominated without winning the support of a past or present Warner ally and it is a valid point.

It is also true that he has no reputation for being pliant, even though he spent over a decade within an organisation that operated on the say-so of a non-executive member.

He vowed to give independent auditors a free reign with the TTFF’s accounting books and also promised to offer full cooperation to the High Court in resolving the long-standing bonus dispute with its most successful squad.

Both would be crucial first steps as Tim Kee tries to gain the confidence of a public that is arguably more wary of political figures than ever before.

There will be no honeymoon period for the new President. Trinidad and Tobago’s football has been stagnant for too long and it is time to move forward now.

Jamaica has usurped the two-island republic as the Caribbean’s dominant football force while Cuba, Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda, Haiti and Grenada also threaten to leave the “Soca Warriors” in the dust.

Trinidad and Tobago’s present FIFA ranking of 79th means that locals can no longer qualify for a work permit in Britain, which has been a finishing school to native talent like Dwight Yorke, Stern John, Kenwyne Jones and dozens more for over two decades.

Tim Kee cannot afford to get it wrong. So, for the sake of the local game, football stakeholders are left praying that he is true to his word.

Wired868 wishes the new TTFF President a successful term, which helps aid the revival of the country’s football fortunes.

But Tim Kee should be warned that such kindness should not be mistaken for weakness.

Townley’s own scepticism cannot be easily dismissed.

“I think it is a shame that the only person who is contesting this TTFF election was very much involved when all of this mess was going on,” he said. “That doesn’t sound like a new broom to me.”

Tim Kee, we hope, will eradicate such doubts.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Kee to take TTFF presidency today.
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
Well said Mike.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 08:53:30 AM »
when he qualify the senior team for a world cup, talk to me, otherwise this is a waste of my time, one setta recycling in tt football

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2012, 01:44:45 PM »
New president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation elected
See pic in link:  http://www.caribbean360.com/sports/633455.html#axzz2C8JFTLOh
Will be closely watching to see what he does as successor to Jackulito and Watson, the latter having been starved out of the job which had no money in it for him. Change is always good as it cyah possibly geh any worse.

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Tim Kee to witness CFU qualifiers.
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:08 AM »
Tim Kee to witness CFU qualifiers.
T&T Guardian Reports

Newly installed T&T Football Federation President Raymond Tim Kee will witness his first international match involving the Soca Warriors since taking up his new position when they face St Vincent and The Grenadines at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet, Tobago from 8 pm tonight.

Tim Kee will arrive in the sister-isle today ahead of the Caribbean Football Union Cup second round Group Eight qualifiers which will see Cuba taking on Suriname in first match from 6 pm.

No stranger to these kinds of events, having held the vice-president portfolio in the past, Tim Kee has urged skipper Jan-Michael Williams and his teammates to simply continue their valiant efforts of recent past which saw them come away with maximum nine points from their three previous Caribbean Cup matches in St Kitts/Nevis.

“As far as the future goes, it starts now and now meaning that road to the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup,” Tim Kee said. “This is the first international game I will witness as president and having not performed as well as would have liked in recent times following our 2006 World Cup appearance, I am looking forward the team performing in a way that will demonstrate their capabilities and our drive as a Federation to move our country’s football upwards to greater heights.

I truly believe that though we have been facing some challenges, we can now face up and overcome these from here on. We must do it collectively and with the right approach and succeed in our efforts in pursuing a spot in the Gold Cup, something which we have not accomplished since 2007,” Tim Kee added.

“I am definitely looking forward to these upcoming matches. I believe in the team’s ability and once we progress out of this stage then of course we will take steps to ensure that the team is sufficiently prepared to take on the more difficult challenges that lie ahead.”

Tim Kee also indicated that his meeting with Ministry of Sports Permanent Secretary Ashwin Creed on Monday was a cordial one.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »
All the best to Tim Kee. At least he has some institutional memory and he would be aware of all the wrongs committed and the irrelevance of the Constitution. That needs early fixing . If he could do it for Desmond Allum 's sake ! His efforts would not be in vain., he was one of the most honorable citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who tried his best to change / amend it as he recognized its importance in a proper functioning football governing body. Power must be put back into the hands of the clubs and they need to be more active to bring about a more democratic regime. We are so low now we can only go up. Tim Kee's  initial pronouncements seem promising.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
Flex, sorry, I have been in and out of the site and have lost a few updates.

Were you able to get any sort of support updates, interview from Tim Kee?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
Actually, Sheldon Phillips said Tim Kee is willing to do the interview now that things are a bit steady in a sense and he has a little more time than before. I declined for the moment and will probably do one when questions are more relevant and interesting. I commend both.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »
Tim Kee for president; gets full backing from TTFA executive.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

The executive of the T&T Football Association (TTFA) is throwing their full support behind incumbent president Raymond Tim Kee for another term in the upcoming elections. Yesterday, general secretary of TTFA Sheldon Phillips revealed that Tim Kee is interested in contesting the position he held for the past term and said a release stating his intentions was expected to be sent out to the media soon.

To date, Tim Kee is the second person to express a desire to contest the presidency of the embattled football association, following a release last week by W Connection boss David John-Williams that he will also be going up for the president’s position when the election of officers are held at annual general meeting (AGM) on November 29. 

However, Phillips said that neither Tim Kee or John-Williams have filed their nomination documents as yet and it is only when that happens then he will be certain who will be contesting the elections. The deadline for submission of nomination documents is Wednesday and this list will be sent out to the media some 10 days before the elections.

Meanwhile the football association will attempt to erase mistakes made in the past when it comes to dealing with finances. Phillips announced that a team of members will be appointed soon by the TTFA with specific responsibility to look after the financial affairs of the association.

“We believe that whatever happened we should not have to pay for what happened in the past and therefore this team will go out to corporate T&T and attempt to convince them to support the football association with a guarantee that there will be returns to gain,” Phillips said.

There have been reports that in the past, monies gained from sponsors, specifically due to the performances and progress of the T&T Soca Warriors team, ended up in the bank account of one man.

Phillips made it clear the team will operate independently from the TTFA, but will function under the authorisation of the football association. The Tim Kee-led association has made tremendous strides with respect to the enhancement and development of football over the past three years but still grapples to win back the trust of corporate T&T in light of the negative reports that emanated after the 2006 World Cup in Germany, which the T&T team had qualified for.

Phillips said the concept is to have people who are independent from the association deal with these issues as funding is very critical for the team to be successful. “If you look at any other country or any other successful team in the world and you would recognise that their achievements are due largely because of the corporate funding they receive and we are no different.”

The general secretary did not name who the team will be made up of but said they will be responsible for seeking funding, not only for the World Cup team but also for all the teams in the country. These funds, he adds will be used to pay coaches and players, to fund programmes and send players on tournaments etc.

“At present we have all our teams doing well. The men’s and women’s teams, the youth teams, the beach football team as well as our development programmes will all benefit from funding received from this new team,” Phillips said. “Sending a young player on a tournament does not cost less than sending Kenwyne Jones but it is important for us to maintain our youth development programmes because this is where we will be getting players in the future to make up our senior teams.”

In expressing his views on the sport presently Phillips said, “Anyone who has looked at T&T football from 2012 to present will say that the sport is in a better position now. I think we have been through the worst and now we are seeing progress in football. Today there is hope that our women’s team can beat the USA in the coming friendly matches...today there is hope that our men can qualify for the World Cup...our beach soccer team defeated Mexico recently, so we are seeing things that we didn’t see in 2012 and before.

“Our biggest challenge now is to get corporate T&T back on board and this is why we are going to appoint this team very soon.”

1]; } ?>