March 28, 2024, 01:53:05 PM

Author Topic: NBC Sports Network Outbids Fox Soccer for EPL Broadcast Rights  (Read 16689 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NBC Sports Network Outbids Fox Soccer for EPL Broadcast Rights
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »

OCTOBER 26, 2012, 6:53 PM
NBC Sports Group Outbids Fox for E.P.L. Rights

By KEN BELSON AND RICHARD SANDOMIR
Fox Soccer has lost the rights to broadcast English Premier League games in the United States, the latest blow to a channel that once dominated the soccer scene on American television.

Fox and ESPN jointly bid for the three-year contract starting in 2013 to show E.P.L. games, but they appear to have been outbid by the NBC Sports Group, which has been eager to find must-see sports shows for its recently rebranded NBC Sports Network.

Fox has broadcast the E.P.L. in the United States for nearly two decades, growing along with the world's most popular league. ESPN broadcast about 80 of Fox's E.P.L. games each year under license.

But NBC has bid about $85 million a year for the new E.P.L. rights, just under four times more than Fox currently pays for the rights, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. Greg Hughes, a spokesman for NBC Sports Group, declined to comment.

If NBCSN wins the E.P.L. rights, which will be announced in the coming days, it would boost their struggling lineup. NBCSN wildly exceeded all its past records during the London Summer Olympics, but it is without any N.H.L. games because of the ongoing lockout. Its other programming includes Major League Soccer, cycling, boxing, college sports, bull-riding, hunting and fishing, as well as a variety of studio shows.

But it does not carry N.F.L games, and the NBC Sports Group chose not to spend lavishly to acquire the rights to Major League Baseball.

Sports Business Daily first reported that Fox and ESPN had been outbid by NBC Universal.

In a statement, Lou D'Ermilio, a spokesman for Fox, said: "We were disappointed to learn today that English Premier League has elected to move forward with a different media partner despite Fox Sports Media Group's aggressive bid."

Fox Soccer still has the rights to broadcast a sizable number of games, including the UEFA Champions League, UEFA's Europa League, the F.A. Cup, the Concacaf Champions League and Gold Cup. Fox also will broadcast the World Cup and Women's World Cup beginning in 2015.

Viewership of E.P.L. games on Fox Soccer peaked in the 2009-10 season at 149,000 viewers. This season, the league's games have averaged 136,000 viewers.

beIN Sport, a new sports network started by Al Jazeera that has aggressively bid for soccer rights, declined to say whether it has bid for the United States rights to the E.P.L.

In August, beIN Sport won the rights to broadcast the top leagues from Spain, Italy and France in the United States, as well as the American national team's World Cup qualifying road games. GolTV lost the rights to La Liga, Spain's top league, and Fox Soccer was outbid for the rights to show Ligue 1 from France and Serie A from Italy.

beIN Sport is available in far fewer households than Fox Soccer, ESPN and NBC Sports Network.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/nbc-sports-group-outbids-fox-for-e-p-l-rights/

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: NBC Sports Network Outbids Fox Soccer for EPL Broadcast Rights
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »
So ummm this means T&T salting then ? Cause we don't have that channel
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
So ummm this means T&T salting then ? Cause we don't have that channel

That was one of the main subsidiary channels that NBC used for broadcasting the Olympics... I sure somebody will pick it up.  I kinda sorry to see Fox lose the rights, but on the flip side NBC Universal free on DirecTV (although that might change now), whereas FSC is part of the premium "Sports Pack".

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
Man, I can't keep up with these acquisitions. I have universal sports, so it appears I cool for now. But like Bakes said, it is a bit sad to see Fox go. They did a real good job with football.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
Viewership of E.P.L. games on Fox Soccer peaked in the 2009-10 season at 149,000 viewers. This season, the league's games have averaged 136,000 viewers.

I'm surprised that this figure is still so low. Thats less than attendance at 3 games. I really thought it would be in the millions, given the audience reach of the broadcasts.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

I'm surprised that this figure is still so low. Thats less than attendance at 3 games. I really thought it would be in the millions, given the audience reach of the broadcasts.

What reach?  FSC isn't on free TV... not even on basic or premium cable.  You to pay completely separate from whatever your cable package is in order to get FSC and BeIN... even more is you want FSP (Fox Soccer Premium).  Also, considering the fact that many games are broadcast early on a Saturday morning when people getting caught up on errands they can't do during the work week... I'm not surprised.  I'm surprised the average viewership level has decreased though.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »

What reach?  FSC isn't on free TV... not even on basic or premium cable.  You to pay completely separate from whatever your cable package is in order to get FSC and BeIN... even more is you want FSP (Fox Soccer Premium).  Also, considering the fact that many games are broadcast early on a Saturday morning when people getting caught up on errands they can't do during the work week... I'm not surprised.  I'm surprised the average viewership level has decreased though.

OK, I'm not familiar with US programming! I watch FSC free in T&T as part of the Flow standard package!! 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:37 AM »
I musta been high when I typed that... or more tired than I thought.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »

OK, I'm not familiar with US programming! I watch FSC free in T&T as part of the Flow standard package!! 

d free FSC aint shit. FS Plus have most of the games. And sportsmax. honeslty i dont cater where the EPL games go as that doesnt interest me. serie a/ la liga/ bundesliga cool. i even added RAI for more serie a. hope flow picks up on beinsports

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
the scene changing from FSC and GolTV in the 2000s to NBC and beinsport for the next few years yes.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
I was sad to See Goltv go but Being TV AND fOXSPORTS GAVE ME - ENGLAND- FRANCE _ SPANISH LEAGUE .
 BeIng Sports are also giving me the South American World Cup Qualifiers. So I am not complaining

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
I watch all the games on FoxDeportes, GolTv and ESPNDeportes. Not paying $15 extra for FSC.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Fox just have to be more creative now if they really care about the game

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

Have you seen that shite they showing now called Fox Soccer News? They replaced they changed the nightly show into one that seems pop cultureish and lacking any real substance. They changed the hosts and analyst who actually presented as credible with younger, "hippy" people, who sound forced, when they commenting on the sport. is like dey tryin tuh become ESPN.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
sounds like yuh fall out of the 18-49 demographic giggsy boy....

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »

all dat analysis they have is shit.

kara lang is a boss presenter though. tat it up!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: NBC Sports Network Outbids Fox Soccer for EPL Broadcast Rights
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »

all dat analysis they have is shit.

kara lang is a boss presenter though. tat it up!

She sweet. Wish she was playing still
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:47 AM »

Have you seen that shite they showing now called Fox Soccer News? They replaced they changed the nightly show into one that seems pop cultureish and lacking any real substance. They changed the hosts and analyst who actually presented as credible with younger, "hippy" people, who sound forced, when they commenting on the sport. is like dey tryin tuh become ESPN.

They totally mess up the nightly show with this new format.. Its like they intentionally dumb it down and try to 'americanize' it to make it more palatable to an ignorant audience....

Watching the fox soccer news now does make me feel like i watching highlights on E-tv.. The presenters offer zero substance and often times they cannot even pronounce even household names like Demba Ba.

The Kara Lang ting looking good, but on any other football network like Sky, BBC, the good looking presenters does know dey football too. They "kardashianize" de forking show.

For EPL highlights, right now i download BBC Match of the Day off Piratebay on a Sunday night and run with that.

Fox Soccer News is unwatchable.

giggsy11

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »

They totally mess up the nightly show with this new format.. Its like they intentionally dumb it down and try to 'americanize' it to make it more palatable to an ignorant audience....

Watching the fox soccer news now does make me feel like i watching highlights on E-tv.. The presenters offer zero substance and often times they cannot even pronounce even household names like Demba Ba.

The Kara Lang ting looking good, but on any other football network like Sky, BBC, the good looking presenters does know dey football too. They "kardashianize" de forking show.

For EPL highlights, right now i download BBC Match of the Day off Piratebay on a Sunday night and run with that.

Agreed. The female sportscasters on Sky Sports News when they interviewing during the show does come hard and direct with their line of questioning. They know their sports and confident in their abilities to hold their own. The female sportscasters FSC had before also knew their football. Plus the best thing they had going for them was Bobby Mc, who they seemed to have phased out. I even think the show now based in LA instead of Canada.

giggsy11

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
sounds like yuh fall out of the 18-49 demographic giggsy boy....

Nope, I am 44. I just prefer substance over style.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

Agreed. The female sportscasters on Sky Sports News when they interviewing during the show does come hard and direct with their line of questioning. They know their sports and confident in their abilities to hold their own. The female sportscasters FSC had before also knew their football. Plus the best thing they had going for them was Bobby Mc, who they seemed to have phased out. I even think the show now based in LA instead of Canada.

I had actually done some research after because I didnt want to think it was just me realize just how bad the show is.

Apparently, they are repackaging the old FSC show with the old cast into a new show for the Canadian audience.

I really feel it for Bobby though, must be hard for him trying to talk ah sense and having to sit amongst them other know nothing presenters.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »
kara lang is a grapevine trini. look proof.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »
This is a good move for football lovers. FSC is a premium channel, meaning you have to pay big bucks to get it on most systems.

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Best football talk show on tv is ESPNFC Press Pass. Only problem is it is on ESPn 2 at 2am, Mon-Fri, just have to tape it.  Good intelligent discussions about the various leagues and what is making headlines, can be a little EPL top heavy, but still covers the 4 leagues.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 10:27:02 PM »
This is a good move for football lovers. FSC is a premium channel, meaning you have to pay big bucks to get it on most systems.

Now it looks as though NBC Universal will be moving to a subscription tier on DirecTV as well.

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
It would be nice if Fox pick up Bundasliga. You can't get a sniff on tv since Bein take over from GolTv. And that is the league with the most competitive and uptempo matches. I don't want to see the damn SPL.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
NBC is trying to take over a market that excludes Baseball and NFL.  They also outbid versus and some other channel for formula 1 racing.  They already show Division 2 college sports and "extreme" sports as well.  Taking out competitors Fox soccer, Cbs sports, versus, etc (American channels) I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first of many steps for NBC to try and become if not take over the number 1 sports market that ESPN is.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
ummmmmmm
they lose EPL.. so what?
hopefully it means FSC will pick up more spanish, italian, german and french football and throw away scottish football

how scottish football even gets any airtime is beyond me!?
AND rangers not even in it

giggsy11

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
NBC is trying to take over a market that excludes Baseball and NFL.  They also outbid versus and some other channel for formula 1 racing.  They already show Division 2 college sports and "extreme" sports as well.  Taking out competitors Fox soccer, Cbs sports, versus, etc (American channels) I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first of many steps for NBC to try and become if not take over the number 1 sports market that ESPN is.

To be honest, I just want a station that showing only football. Not one where they fit in football matches and showing a bunch of other sports when there are matches they can show. ESPN shows one EPL match a week, no replays. The beauty about Foxsoccer is that it is football 24/7. Bein unlike Goltv shows football and other sports. Not interested, especially if none showing Bundasliga or football matches people who love the sport want to see.

giggsy11

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
ummmmmmm
they lose EPL.. so what?
hopefully it means FSC will pick up more spanish, italian, german and french football and throw away scottish football

how scottish football even gets any airtime is beyond me!?
AND rangers not even in it

Yep, as long as they keep showing the other leagues. SPL is boo!

1]; } ?>