March 28, 2024, 11:38:34 PM

Author Topic: NBC Sports Network Outbids Fox Soccer for EPL Broadcast Rights  (Read 16694 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NBC Sports Network Outbids Fox Soccer for EPL Broadcast Rights
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
But you haven't clarified anything. If anything, you've misinformed since Fox was very infrequently (and only recently at all) airing EPL matches on the main network.

The clarification is there for all to see, you just assumed that there was some kinda fight down and so yuh responded as though somebody shit in yuh cornflakes.  You mentioned "European league football on a major network" as though this was new, when in fact it wasn't.  The broadcasts weren't frequent, this is true, but often enough that those who follow the way the sport is marketed here in the US stood up and took notice.  Nothing new about it either... it goes back three/four seasons.

The more important clarification is that your post seemed to imply that the games would be on "NBC", when in fact the majority of games will be on NBC Universal... not a "major network".  In short, in terms of visibility for the sport, not much will change. The weekly broadcasts are a very good thing, as is availability of all the games... but most games will still be out of reach to the casual viewer.  That has to change in order for us to reall "see the sport growing".

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
But you haven't clarified anything. If anything, you've misinformed since Fox was very infrequently (and only recently at all) airing EPL matches on the main network.

The clarification is there for all to see, you just assumed that there was some kinda fight down and so yuh responded as though somebody shit in yuh cornflakes.  You mentioned "European league football on a major network" as though this was new, when in fact it wasn't.  The broadcasts weren't frequent, this is true, but often enough that those who follow the way the sport is marketed here in the US stood up and took notice.  Nothing new about it either... it goes back three/four seasons.

The more important clarification is that your post seemed to imply that the games would be on "NBC", when in fact the majority of games will be on NBC Universal... not a "major network".  In short, in terms of visibility for the sport, not much will change. The weekly broadcasts are a very good thing, as is availability of all the games... but most games will still be out of reach to the casual viewer.  That has to change in order for us to reall "see the sport growing".

Sigh..all I said was that its great to see European football on major network tv in the U.S. on this level. It was a simple post just happy to see a big step up for the game's visibility. Yes, Fox aired some games, but it wasnt on this level of publicity and visibility (even with NBC being once a week). That's all it was. There's no need to 'clarify' anything, or argue what I implied, or argue that this isn't a big deal. It's historic and will be great for the game. If you disagree, fine, but I couldn't see how anyone could see this as anything but a positive. I don't mind debating it but Fox wasn't a very good comparable; and does such a simple, positive topic, that most would agree is historic, have to be turned into a debate?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:52:36 PM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Sigh..all I said was that its great to see European football on major network tv in the U.S. on this level. It was a simple post just happy to see a big step up for the game's visibility. Yes, Fox aired some games, but it wasnt on this level of publicity and visibility (even with NBC being once a week). That's all it was. There's no need to 'clarify' anything, or argue what I implied, or argue that this isn't a big deal. It's historic and will be great for the game. If you disagree, fine, but I couldn't see how anyone could see this as anything but a positive. I don't mind debating it but Fox wasn't a very good comparable; and does such a simple, positive topic, that most would agree is historic, have to be turned into a debate?

Fella who is debating?  Again, for there to be a "debate" there has to be disagreement.  I "clarified", "elaborated" on your post... whatever you want to call it, and you took umbrage at that.  Look thru this entire thread and you'll see several points where people express excitement at the thought that we getting football on 'free' or 'regular' TV... or implied that to be the case.  I clarified that point and yuh responded in a petulant manner, now yuh questioning why it turn into debate, lol.  Okay. :peace:

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »

Fella who is debating?  Again, for there to be a "debate" there has to be disagreement.  I "clarified", "elaborated" on your post... whatever you want to call it, and you took umbrage at that.  Look thru this entire thread and you'll see several points where people express excitement at the thought that we getting football on 'free' or 'regular' TV... or implied that to be the case.  I clarified that point and yuh responded in a petulant manner, now yuh questioning why it turn into debate, lol.  Okay. :peace:

Aight, Im sure we're both just looking forward to watching the EPL this season. Should be fun.
Hart for president

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2013, 05:18:55 AM »
Well as it stands Liverpool level on points at the top of the table so is the best time of the season fuh me, lol. But seriously, it will be interesting to see what NBC's broadcast looks like. I'm definitely not excited at the prospect of Arlo White being lead commentator.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
Well as it stands Liverpool level on points at the top of the table so is the best time of the season fuh me, lol. But seriously, it will be interesting to see what NBC's broadcast looks like. I'm definitely not excited at the prospect of Arlo White being lead commentator.

That I agree with you on 100%. Wish they could just simulcast the British broadcast.... I saw NBC's soccer daily show and it looks well done. The production value looks sweet.
Hart for president

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »

What's wrong with Arlo White?
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »
What's wrong with Arlo White?

He does a decent enough job judging from the few Sounders games I've seen, he's not bad... but he's no Martin Tyler, who I'm sure was available.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
Hmm aight papa. When last u listen to Martin Tyler...cuz even though he still a boss he is not d 2002 Martin Tyler anymore. Arlo been doing the MLS games since NBC got the contract and he does well, may not be excitable as previous/current commentators...but excitable ain't everybody scene. Once u know what u talking about and don't try to dumb down the action for first time American viewers u off to a great start and he doesn't do that. Also he gonna be paired with ppl like Le Saux in the booth...NBC make excellent hires thus far (except Kyle Martino). Rebecca Lowe, Lineker, Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe...they making the right moves and before doing a single game have already surpassed what FSC offered.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6KeG_i8CWE8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6KeG_i8CWE8</a>
Hilarious!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
Hmm aight papa. When last u listen to Martin Tyler...cuz even though he still a boss he is not d 2002 Martin Tyler anymore. Arlo been doing the MLS games since NBC got the contract and he does well, may not be excitable as previous/current commentators...but excitable ain't everybody scene. Once u know what u talking about and don't try to dumb down the action for first time American viewers u off to a great start and he doesn't do that. Also he gonna be paired with ppl like Le Saux in the booth...NBC make excellent hires thus far (except Kyle Martino). Rebecca Lowe, Lineker, Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe...they making the right moves and before doing a single game have already surpassed what FSC offered.

Sounds like you more up on things than I am then... Martin Tyler not excitable, but he has a certain gravitas, that was even on display during the Community Shield match between Man U. and Wigan.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
Arlo white has very little commentating experience and, I think, no experience at all calling EPL. He also better be calling the game live and on location.
Hart for president

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
taking a look at sportsmax2 today. seems to be basically bpl 24/7 and some episodes of sportsmax zone in the mix havnt seen any skysports news though and i kinda liked that
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
taking a look at sportsmax2 today. seems to be basically bpl 24/7 and some episodes of sportsmax zone in the mix havnt seen any skysports news though and i kinda liked that

sportsmax never had Sky Sports News

Only FSC and they about to fold up... I imagine Fox Sports 1 will bring back Sky Sports News when they come to life on the 17th

Right now FLOW replaced FSC with Fox Soccer Plus and SportsMax2 took channel 315 which was vacated by Fox Soccer Plus which is now channel 77

If things go accurately Fox Sports 1 should take channel 78 on Saturday when they absorb Speed

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
flow didnt mention fox sports 1 coming back and when i checked the fs1 preview i dont think they have room for skysports news there

but we shall see
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »

September 27, 2013
Premier League Coverage Pays Off for NBC
By RICHARD SANDOMIR

STAMFORD, Conn. — It was teatime here in NBC’s Studio 3 as Liverpool began playing Southampton in England’s Premier League on Sept. 21.

“How stereotypical,” said Rebecca Lowe, the host of “Premier League Live,” referring to drinking tea as she held a full Royal Wentworth cup.

Lowe is part of the pervasive British flavor of the NBC Sports Group’s coverage of Premier League soccer, which began last month under a three-year contract. Her tea-drinking co-analysts that day, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe, former players, are also British. All the games are produced in England by Sky Sports, BT Sport or the league, and are called by British announcers. Only the analyst Kyle Martino, a former Major League Soccer player who joins Lowe, Earle and Mustoe in the studio, is American.

In addition to the analysts’ expertise, NBC might be banking on the authenticity and familiarity that British voices and productions bring to the Premier League as the soundtrack for its coverage. But the network has taken an American approach to promoting the group, with billboards in Times Square and a humorous video starring the actor Jason Sudeikis as an American coach in England who does not know the rules of the game. The video promotion has been viewed online by more than 5.7 million visitors.

Lowe was tickled that she has delivered Premier League reports Sundays on NBC’s “Football Night in America” pregame show, bringing Wayne Rooney to an audience far more familiar with Dan Rooney.

“I’ve never been with a company that has invested so much on marketing,” said Lowe, who previously worked for ESPN U.K. and the BBC.

So far, the formula is working. NBCSN’s 22 telecasts have been seen by an average of 391,000 viewers, 70 percent better than the average game last season on Fox Soccer, which carried most of the games, and ESPN and ESPN2, which broadcast about one game a week in a licensing deal. NBCSN, however, has about twice as many subscribers as Fox Soccer. More important, at least to NBC, is that NBCSN’s daily viewership from Aug. 17 to Sept. 22 swelled 67 percent, to 77,000 viewers.

That is still a fraction of ESPN’s 1.2 million in that period and fewer than the month-old Fox Sports 1’s 121,000. But the highs are getting higher. Last Sunday afternoon, 852,000 viewers watched Manchester City trounce Manchester United, 4-1, in one of the Premier League’s marquee early-season matches. That was the biggest audience so far on NBCSN.

John Guppy, a veteran soccer executive who founded Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing, said, “What they’ve done — and it’s not that Fox didn’t do it, but maybe it comes across more directly to consumers — is they’ve made the Premier League feel special and important.”

NBCSN has become the NBC Sports Group’s Premier League centerpiece, filling as many as 40 hours a week on the cable network. Mark Lazarus, chairman of the NBC Sports Group, said the kickoff times of Premier League games, as early as 7:45 a.m. on Saturdays on the East Coast, had helped. Even the day’s latest matches start before American football games begin to dominate the channel lineup.

“They’re largely in windows without live sports,” Lazarus said. “It’s not totally unencumbered, with college football Saturday afternoon and the N.F.L. on Sunday. But the beauty of this league is that it goes from August to May.”

The Premier League’s success has helped Major League Soccer, which also has games on NBCSN. Viewership of the eight M.L.S. games on the network since coverage of the Premier League began on NBCSN has jumped 60 percent, and the number of unique visitors to M.L.S. games streamed by NBC has soared 322 percent. All of that should help M.L.S. in talks to extend its contract beyond next season.

For the NBC suite of networks, the Premier League was a property to covet. NBC wanted to capitalize on the league’s popularity and to breathe oxygen into NBCSN, which will show 154 of the 196 games that the NBC family of networks is televising; NBC is showing 21 games this season, with others on CNBC, USA, Telemundo and Mun2.

Another 184 games, which are not being televised, are available free at Premier League Extra Time, a service available to cable, satellite and telephone subscribers. The entire season of 380 games is being streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra.

Lazarus is politic enough not to declare that NBCSN’s identity has quickly become tied inextricably to the Premier League. That would irk other leagues it carries or longtime properties, like the Tour de France. NBCSN also carries the Olympics every two years.

Still, during an interview here at NBC Sports international broadcast center, Lazarus said: “It’s part of our definition, but you have to put it up with the N.H.L. This adds another pillar product to go with the N.H.L., and I think Nascar will be the third.”

NBC is paying the Premier League $250 million over three years, still triple what Fox Soccer was paying annually. NBC’s winning bid defeated one made jointly by Fox Soccer and ESPN. Fox Soccer folded and became FXX, an entertainment channel, but plans were in place during the bidding process to show Premier League games on Fox Sports 1.

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League’s chief executive, said in an interview last week that some American club owners were nervous about shifting the United States rights to NBC.

“But now they’re saying it’s the best thing we’ve ever done,” he said. 

Still, John Henry, the owner of Liverpool, one of the Premier League’s cornerstone clubs, said he had no skittishness about selling the league’s rights to NBC. “I thought Fox and ESPN did a great job,” he said in an e-mail message, “but I knew NBC was serious about their commitment, and they have done everything right thus far.”

For any network that shows soccer, one large financial oddity exists: there are no commercial breaks during the games — except for advertisers’ names and logos that poke out of the corner score boxes during play.

That is why NBCSN is awash in Premier League programming: pregame, halftime, postgame studio shows; game replays,  previews, reviews and news shows; and the weekly “Manchester Mondays.” Some of it is seen in the wee hours, especially before games on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays.

Seth Winter, the executive vice president of sales for NBC Sports, said improved viewership and the Premier League’s increasing appeal to young, affluent viewers 18 to 49 has helped advertisement sales.

The network’s expenses are relatively modest: it does not produce the games it televises — paying only satellite access fees — and sends announcers to only two of the six games it shows each week.

Mark Noonan, a former executive at the United States Soccer Federation and Major League Soccer, said that NBC stepped into the Premier League at an appropriate moment, with a young, multicultural audience enamored with world sport.

“I don’t even think it’s reached  a tipping point,” he said. “NBC’s timing couldn’t be better.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/28/sports/soccer/premier-league-coverage-pays-off-for-nbc.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
I like NBC, for a number of reasons. The main one being, I can watch it for free on their app, as long as I got it on one of the providers they are on.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
I like NBC, for a number of reasons. The main one being, I can watch it for free on their app, as long as I got it on one of the providers they are on.

ESPN had that as well... but only had a handful of games.  NBC has every single game available for streaming.  Incredible!  Public responding too.  Premier League about to make a mint in three years when contract up for renewal, if the numbers keep up like this.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »

ESPN had that as well... but only had a handful of games.  NBC has every single game available for streaming.  Incredible!  Public responding too.  Premier League about to make a mint in three years when contract up for renewal, if the numbers keep up like this.
I hope they don't get cheap like FSC and lose it to another sports channel that charges people extra to watch. I like that I can pick any game I want to watch.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »
I hope they don't get cheap like FSC and lose it to another sports channel that charges people extra to watch. I like that I can pick any game I want to watch.

If they have to pay a premium to re-up the deal they might look to pass some of that onto consumers though... meaning we might have to start paying for some games.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
NBC is crap I prefer fox because they had football all all day
When I turn to nobs and formula one is one I does get frustrated bc I miss the game
At least with fox they would show a rerun

Is football all day

NBC will kill the football is the us

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
Funny oui...NBC at least 10 times better than Fox. There is something call DVR...no reruns and u complaining? I can watch Man Utd game on my tv, man city game on my ipad, another game on my phone...this is heaven. Tonight I can watch Match of the Day, they have premier league news show, premier league match pack, premier league download etc. They showing games on the main NBC channel...Fox showed delay. They far from killing football

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »
NBC is crap I prefer fox because they had football all all day
When I turn to nobs and formula one is one I does get frustrated bc I miss the game
At least with fox they would show a rerun

Is football all day

NBC will kill the football is the us

Regular NBC channel doh show the re-runs, but NBC Sports does be running replay regular.  I know because no matter how ah program mih DVR (that reach by you yet? :D) tuh record only first run programs, ah does still end up with 4-5 games by Tuesday.

Plus like 2cents say... yuh could watch across all yuh devices and stream online for free.  Fox used to make yuh pay fuh dat.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:17:02 PM by Bakes »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
REPLAY HACK for NBC Website

This is via a hack where I changed the “PID” of the match on NBC’s website. I noticed that the Chelsea match had an ID of 105 last week Saturday so figured I’d +2 it for the Sunday midday match. NBC hasn’t announced its replay availability so I cannot guarantee if it will stream in its entirety. If it does then you can tape over your Betamax cassette.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/premier-league/index_premier-league-auth.html?pid=107

1]; } ?>