April 24, 2024, 07:12:26 PM

Author Topic: Raheem Sterling  (Read 7929 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Raheem Sterling
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Hard to believe this kid is only 17 years old. I believe there are many more like him in Jamaica, but for lack of proper football facilities and structured system, falls by the wayside. The Daily Mail did a feature on the player. Theodore Whitmore said he looked at the player a year ago before he was a star, and passed up on him!
 :frustrated:

"It is a long way from his beginnings in Maverley, Jamaica - a community with no-go areas controlled by gangs.

It is 'one of the most deprived areas on the whole island', according to a Jamaican journalist. 'It contains marginalised ghetto communities lacking basic facilities and struggling to control gun crime.'

When he was just 14, Sterling was featured on the front page of The Gleaner, held up as a local Maverley boy done good and the newspaper suggested he might choose to play international football for Jamaica rather than England.

Sterling returned to Maverley this summer for the funeral of his grandfather and was trailed by awed youngsters aware of his growing stature for Liverpool and England. He played football with them, yards from the home he once lived in on Reapers Road, where a 15-year-old was shot dead in 2009.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224063/The-extraordinary-story-Raheem-Sterling.html

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
Good talent, tough call on who he should represent internationally, a kinda sentiment versus stature.

I eh sure about that mohawk he rocking these days either.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
Utd will buy him. Then all of jamaica will be Utd fans. He he
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
Good talent, tough call on who he should represent internationally, a kinda sentiment versus stature.

What do they call that a fauxhawk?  Sort of a variation on the fade.  A couple of the Vincy players have it too as does Ricardo Vaz Te for West Ham I think, maybe Neymar too.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

What do they call that a fauxhawk?  Sort of a variation on the fade.  A couple of the Vincy players have it too as does Ricardo Vaz Te for West Ham I think, maybe Neymar too.

Faux hawk is when there's hair only on the top.  Not sure what you mean by "variation on the fade"... but the only real problem with the haircut is just that, it needs to be faded better.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:48:16 PM »

Faux hawk is when there's hair only on the top.  Not sure what you mean by "variation on the fade"... but the only real problem with the haircut is just that, it needs to be faded better.

That's my point, these fellas have haircuts that look like they bought a WAHL and used a hand mirror in their bathroom at home.

Men on TV every week with horrible haircuts.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Hard to believe this kid is only 17 years old. I believe there are many more like him in Jamaica, but for lack of proper football facilities and structured system, falls by the wayside. The Daily Mail did a feature on the player. Theodore Whitmore said he looked at the player a year ago before he was a star, and passed up on him!

Misleading ... iz not like he flashed from JA when he was 12, 13, 14 ... de yute lef when he was an infant?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 11:43:17 PM »

That's my point, these fellas have haircuts that look like they bought a WAHL and used a hand mirror in their bathroom at home.

Men on TV every week with horrible haircuts.
I think james saunders the sports caster from CTNT have one ah dem hair styles.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:46:59 PM »
The man said growing up in jamaica, when in actuality the kid spend most his life in england.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »
WOW...2 kids already and one one the way. That's the only blotch on his C.V!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England's Courtship of Wilfried Zaha and Raheem Sterling Is Just The Start
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
England's courtship of Wilfried Zaha and Raheem Sterling is just the start

Dual nationality is not a new phenomenon, but the England manager
will surely have to deal with a lot more of it in future

If there was a grading system for meaningless international friendlies – perhaps starting off at Meaningful Friendly, descending down through the gears of Fairly Meaningless Friendly right down to the far end and those terrible onerous Friendlies of Death in the bleak months when England have just failed to qualify for a tournament – then England's trip to play Sweden in Stockholm on Wednesday would no doubt earn a distinctly middling ranking.

It is, though, a first of a kind. With the selections of Raheem Sterling, Carl Jenkinson and Wilfried Zaha, Roy Hodgson has chosen an England squad that contains for the first time three potential debutants who could yet end up playing for another country. Of these three only Jenkinson, who has played for Finland at Under-17 and Under-19 levels, has openly pledged his future to England. Sterling, who is eligible to play for Jamaica, is still uncommitted.

Zaha, likewise, is undecided whether to opt for Ivory Coast. It is a state of uncertainty that will continue beyond this match, with only appearances in a competitive fixture considered a definitive nailing of the colours to the mast. Zaha could score a hat-trick for England on Wednesday and then go on to score the goal that knocks them out of the World Cup finals in Brazil in two years' time.

How you feel about this – and there will be plenty who see some conflict in it – possibly depends on how you feel about nationality itself in a wider context. What is certain is that we should approach the subject gently as there are genuinely difficult questions of cultural identity attached. Speaking about his footballing loyalties Zaha told the Guardian: "It's 50:50 because I was born in Ivory Coast, but all I know is England. When the time comes, I'll make a choice. For now, I just want to reach the top." Which sounds refreshingly honest and nuanced and human. Except that this is international football and it is possible for this kind of choice to become inflamed, from the fringes, by less coherent emotions.

Take for example the equally complex case of Sterling: a teenager who spent the first six years of his life in Jamaica, whose parents are Jamaican, and whose mother is said to favour her son representing the land of his birth. Hodgson's own comment last week on Sterling's failure as yet to commit himself either way was widely overlooked, but it hints at some frustration.

"Of course if you do have the option to play for two countries you can choose," Hodgson said. "He might just come to me and say 'Look, I don't want to play for you, I want to play for Jamaica'. But I hope that won't be the case. Certainly I'm hoping when he's called up here he'll be happy about that. I suppose I have the somewhat naive point of view that if you've been brought up in England and you have the chance to play for the national team that should be a very joyous occasion.I don't know that you should necessarily be looking over your shoulder to see if there are any other national teams that want to take you."

Careful, there, Roy. If there is something a little jarring about this it is the apparent analogy here with a player at the end of his contract having a shifty about to see if anybody else will take him on. Sterling's concerns are almost entirely the opposite of this. Money, for once, is not the primary concern here. Sterling's agent may or may not be pleading with him to plump for England – think of the contracts, Raheem, think of the status-boost: will somebody please think of the supermarket adverts? – but this is a man wrestling instead with more personal notions of loyalty and family.

If there is an obligation to tread with a little care here, it is worth noting that these issues are likely to become an increasingly significant aspect of managing an international team at a time when the old certainties – and the fixed point of nationality itself – are becoming increasingly blurred. Plus dual nationality has been common in the England team since the first generation of black English players in the 1970s. Cyrille Regis could also have played for France, via his French Guyanese roots. John Barnes, capped 79 times and a World Cup semi-finalist, might also have chosen Jamaica. Albeit, West Indian influence aside, there have been surprisingly few footballers taking the reverse-colonial route. Tony Dorigo was born and raised in Melbourne. Owen Hargreaves had never lived in England until he signed for Manchester United, six years after his first England cap.

The cases of Zaha and Jenkinson seem to point to a more urgent transformational force, a more generalised sense of globalism. Jenkinson has a Finnish mother.

Zaha's family came to England from Abidjan when he was four, a very London kind of story. Plus there is the nature of club football itself, a global bazaar, within which nationality starts to look slightly outmoded. Manuel Almunia was once touted, narrowly, as an unreliable overseas addition to England's domestic unreliable goalkeeping pool. Sylvain Distin could qualify for England (as well as Guadeloupe). Mikel Arteta was keen to play for England and Fabio Capello keen to have him until it emerged that the minutiae of Fifa regulations made him ineligible.

There will be more of this. Current rules demand not that the majority of a squad be English or Italian, but simply that those players qualify by being present in that country for three years before the age of 21 (Gaël Clichy and Arsenal's Denílson, for example, both count as home-grown, with the latter – currently on loan at São Paulo – also now eligible to play for England). Hence the anticipated hike in global through-traffic in the bigger clubs' academies and the imperative to sign talented players at a younger age. A generation of players currently emerging through this system in the Premier League will, in many cases, find themselves with a choice to make when it comes to international football.

Does any of this matter? It is tempting to accuse those who attach a value to provenance in international football of adopting an uncomfortably old-fashioned position. And also to point out that players have always changed trains: Luis Monti played for Argentina at the 1930 World Cup; four years later he was back playing for Italy (one losing final, one victorious). Alfredo Di Stéfano played for Argentina, Colombia and then Spain. Eduardo is as Croatian as the next man. Chris Birchall, born in Stafford, has been capped 39 times for Trinidad and Tobago and helped drive his adopted nation towards a World cup appearance.

If there is an argument against this kind of pluralism it is simply a systemic one, a sense that it is a shared footballing, rather than ethnic, identity that gives international football its basic – and in fact only – point. For the purist, international football is interesting because it represents a clash of systems, a testing of one footballing culture against another. It has intellectual rather than jingoistic interest: a macro-clash of coaching regimes, youth systems, of the simple notion of how, exactly , you're supposed to go about playing football.

This kind of interest will naturally be diluted when the boundaries become blurred, albeit at this point the notion of what is a footballing culture begins to take in the league that nurtures these players, the clubs behind them, just playing in the same geographical space. And really it is simply footballing nationality that counts, the question of where you learnt to play. The France team that won the World Cup in 1998 had four players born outside France and 11 squad members who were dual qualified. There is an argument to say what they represented best was not some rainbow notion of greater France but an unrepeatable generational success for the Clarefontaine academy, nothing more than a pool of talent brilliantly nurtured and managed.

It is probably best to see this kind of thing as an accurate reflection of the societies football entwines itself around. There will be more and more occasions in the future where choices must be made. It is a scenario Hodgson, Sterling and no doubt also Zaha will have to manage in the coming months. The depleted, lopsided England squad that travels to Sweden this week might even prove a landmark in its own way, an early staging post in a quietly inevitable reshaping of what it means to be an international footballer.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/13/england-wilfried-zaha-raheem-sterling-courtship

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »
The is dual citizenship choice is kind of jokey. The Euros have been doing it forever, whenever it suits each individual countries. GB and NI, one country with one passport has 4 teams because of colonial legacy. An English with Scottish roots 2 grandpa removed can play for Scotland. I remember Arsenal had an excellent GK, Bob Wilson. He was always knocking on England door but could not get on the team. He eventually played for the Scots because he granma was Scots. Ryan Giggs chose Wales over England. It can work both ways, but it finally left to the individual to choose. We benefitted from Birchall. George Bovell could swim for the Canucks, insteead he choose TT and we have an Olimpian medallist. Nesty born in TT, in chose Suriname. Italy can probably make a claim for Messi, too.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 07:56:58 AM »
The is dual citizenship choice is kind of jokey. The Euros have been doing it forever, whenever it suits each individual countries. GB and NI, one country with one passport has 4 teams because of colonial legacy. An English with Scottish roots 2 grandpa removed can play for Scotland. I remember Arsenal had an excellent GK, Bob Wilson. He was always knocking on England door but could not get on the team. He eventually played for the Scots because he granma was Scots. Ryan Giggs chose Wales over England. It can work both ways, but it finally left to the individual to choose. We benefitted from Birchall. George Bovell could swim for the Canucks, insteead he choose TT and we have an Olimpian medallist. Nesty born in TT, in chose Suriname. Italy can probably make a claim for Messi, too.

Deeks this going on since International football start. Look at the early WC selection for Italy. 3 from Uruguay. France way back from Just Fontaine times & France 98 is the closest thing to a Caribbean team winning a WC  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
England desperate.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »
maybe pick Jamaica because on england squad you might never get any game.

At least with Ja he have more of a chance to play day in and day out.

on the down side the travel is more and less chance of making a world cup

so is give and take

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »
callme mad man but jamica have a better chance of meking world cup than england.. look at this the top 4 teams in concacaf is usa, mexico, costa rica and Jamaica . Now teams like honduras, TNT, Panama, guatemala , elsalvador all is hit or miss ..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
Eh... mods, the article only tangentially deals with Sterling... allyuh read it?  Why allyuh doh merge all dem Central FC posts or the Wired868 posts?  steups

Anyways, the central issue is the "dual-citizenship" or switching international allegiances thing.  I thought the author was very fair in how he dealt with it.  I understand Roy's comments about basically "I don't know, if you grow up in a country (England) then I would think that it would be an honor to represent that country."  I think this has strong resonance for most.  Imagine, say if Yorke had parentage from Grenada and opted to rep Greens instead, despite growing up in 'bago and going to school there and in TnT... getting discovered as part of the TnT set up etc.  Man on here would be bawling.

But on the other hand, there's something noble about wanting to rep your birthplace, or for some... the birthplace/heritage of your parents.  Was just reading on Sky Sports last night that Drogba getting in on the recruitment of Zaha.  As much as I support the Three Lions... I liking that Ivorian side more and more and they would be formidable if they really had all their available players play for them.  Sterling stands to gain more individually from repping England... professional opportunities will be greater as will commercial opportunities.  That said however, he'd likely walk into Jamaica's starting lineup and get steady run with them... might even have an easier path to WC qualification than he would with England.  He definitely have a lot of deliberating to do... not the least of which would be the impact on his club availability depending on which way he chooses.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
Eh... mods, the article only tangentially deals with Sterling... allyuh read it?  Why allyuh doh merge all dem Central FC posts or the Wired868 posts?  steups

Anyways, the central issue is the "dual-citizenship" or switching international allegiances thing.  I thought the author was very fair in how he dealt with it.  I understand Roy's comments about basically "I don't know, if you grow up in a country (England) then I would think that it would be an honor to represent that country."  I think this has strong resonance for most.  Imagine, say if Yorke had parentage from Grenada and opted to rep Greens instead, despite growing up in 'bago and going to school there and in TnT... getting discovered as part of the TnT set up etc.  Man on here would be bawling.

But on the other hand, there's something noble about wanting to rep your birthplace, or for some... the birthplace/heritage of your parents.  Was just reading on Sky Sports last night that Drogba getting in on the recruitment of Zaha.  As much as I support the Three Lions... I liking that Ivorian side more and more and they would be formidable if they really had all their available players play for them.  Sterling stands to gain more individually from repping England... professional opportunities will be greater as will commercial opportunities.  That said however, he'd likely walk into Jamaica's starting lineup and get steady run with them... might even have an easier path to WC qualification than he would with England.  He definitely have a lot of deliberating to do... not the least of which would be the impact on his club availability depending on which way he chooses.

And what's more, he could be just another England player in 15 years time, while he could be another Bolt in Jamaica and drink free forever.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

Misleading ... iz not like he flashed from JA when he was 12, 13, 14 ... de yute lef when he was an infant?

His formative years were spent in Jamaica. Yes, he would probably be in football wilderness today if he had stayed in Ja. Fact that the man leave all the way in england to attend a funeral for a relative in Jamaica tells you how much he is connected to the island of his birth and his legacy there. When you grow up in a household with Jamaican parents...you are Jamaican through and through brother.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »
And what's more, he could be just another England player in 15 years time, while he could be another Bolt in Jamaica and drink free forever.

That too... free Red Stripe fuh life and parry from all kinda Kingston bad ting  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
His formative years were spent in Jamaica. Yes, he would probably be in football wilderness today if he had stayed in Ja. Fact that the man leave all the way in england to attend a funeral for a relative in Jamaica tells you how much he is connected to the island of his birth and his legacy there. When you grow up in a household with Jamaican parents...you are Jamaican through and through brother.

Uhm... he left when he was six... He skull hardly fuse by that time, let alone "formative years".

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »

Uhm... he left when he was six... He skull hardly fuse by that time, let alone "formative years".

Try telling that to his parents. I'm talking first hand here as a parent...in fact my three kids were born in the US...but they identify themselves as Jamaicans wherever they go.  I dont think its any different with Raheem. Obviously Jamaica takes no credit for his football development...we simply dont have the football culture/facilities here to properly identify and develop young talent the way England can, but Jamaicans will claim Raheem as one of ours.  The kid holds a Jamaican passport! he is a naturalized citizen of England! In fact, let him commit a serious crime in the UK and see what they do wwith him. Yes, they send him back "home" to Jamaica. If he were to have decided he wanted to sell drugs for instance, you and other swould not resist the first opportunities to label him "Jamaican" ... it works both ways brother.  Hodgeson will start him in the next world cup qualifier to tie him to them, just like they did with Daniel Sturridge.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:08:05 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
I have no idea what you arguing against nah fella... my contention is not whether he genuinely sees himself as Jamaican or whether objectively speaking he's authentically Jamaican enough.  That is somebody else's argument.  I'm simply saying you can't say he spent his "formative years" in Jamaica when he left the island at the age of six.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
Burell and dem come back from UK yet ???...how much allyuh getting this time ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
I have no idea what you arguing against nah fella... my contention is not whether he genuinely sees himself as Jamaican or whether objectively speaking he's authentically Jamaican enough.  That is somebody else's argument.  I'm simply saying you can't say he spent his "formative years" in Jamaica when he left the island at the age of six.

I hear ya.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Burell and dem come back from UK yet ???...how much allyuh getting this time ???

they are still there shopping. One things for sure, they are not coming back with Sterling.
In any case, we will have a stronger BENCH when these players come in.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
Jamiaca FA is making real joke

they pass on Asley young, Sturidge and Raheem.

That front line would gaurantee the next 2- 3 world cups.

If men eligible to play you have to tie them down by any means necessary.

A few Skets, a nice beach view condo and a bag full with some money would have done it.

None of these men gauranteed a spot on england team

So a sure spot on JA squad may have looked good

But you need to sell the plan... As a group with more men to come and make the team strong in the future.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »
Sturidge is ah f00cking goat !!!!!!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »

A few Skets, a nice beach view condo and a bag full with some money would have done it.

But you need to sell the plan... As a group with more men to come and make the team strong in the future.

Problem with the JFF is that they dont know how to deal with high-calibre players. They are afraid that the players egos would dwarf theirs.  Marlon King is no longer a Jamaica player because of this.

1]; } ?>