April 26, 2024, 02:34:21 AM

Author Topic: Lee Sing: No one in T&T should be poor.  (Read 774 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lee Sing: No one in T&T should be poor.
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
I thought i was alone on this.

I know this man does carry on rediculous sometimes, but i have to say this time he's on point, as ah matter of fact hes the only politician that ever address this fact in an open forum. we done sir.     :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Lee Sing: No one in T&T should be poor
'Population small, resources great'
By Camille Bethel camille.bethel@trinidadexpress.com

This country's failure to use its resources wisely has led to the current high rates of poverty, said Port of Spain Mayor Louis Lee Sing.

Speaking at the Mayor's Ball, the city's charity event, on Saturday night at Jackson Square, St Clair, Lee Sing, who deemed the event a success, lamented the rates of poverty in Trinidad and Tobago.

"This country's population is too small and its resources too great to have so much poverty. Over the last three decades, because of our revenue, this land of ours should never know want or need, yet we have it in abundance.

"Given the small population and the amount of money we have had, everybody in this country should be reasonably well off...that is not the case. My own feeling is that we have done badly with respect to all of our richness and this country is rich in many manifestations.

"I sometimes say it is like God wants us to create a paradise on earth. He has given us so many natural resources. He has given us so many bright people and it is almost as if He is willing us to marry the two and create a paradise here on earth but we continue to squander our inheritances and simply we have been failing in many areas."

While addressing those who supported the event, which was hosted under huge white tents that evoked a feeling of an enchanted garden, Lee Sing said as Mayor he has come to accept poverty.

"And I am happy that you have joined me to do small things to reduce the burdens of some of our unfortunate brothers and sisters."

Lee Sing told the Express that 600 tickets were sent out and that the response to the event was exceptional since people not only bought tickets but came to the event.

"I signal out for example our internationally-famed cardiologist Dr Ronald Henry, who not only bought the tickets but he and his family came out here and identified with the event. But he is not alone, we got extremely good support from across the country—Mayor Clyde Paul from Point Fortin is here, chairman of the Tabaquite Corporation Dave Persad is here, so that in more ways than one this is a success story."

Lee Sing said the city decided to host the event outdoors rather than at the Hyatt Regency hotel to enhance the bottom line.

"When we did the maths we found out that if we did it here ourselves, all the things that we could get sponsored would ensure a greater bottom line for the charity and that is why we have done it here. It is also an illustration of how you can use the green spaces in the city for good causes."

Lee Sing said the charities that would benefit from the event are wide and varied and include the purchase of books and uniforms for students, which was done in September to the tune of $55,000, as well as food for people every week.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:53:40 AM by Flex »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Lee Sing: No one in T&T should be poor.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
i agree

1]; } ?>