March 29, 2024, 08:08:07 AM

Author Topic: Another must win as T&T go down to Haiti.  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Another must win as T&T go down to Haiti.
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:06:32 AM »
Another must win as T&T go down to Haiti.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago has once again found itself in a final-day must win situation after this country’s Men’s Under 20 footballers suffered a 2-0 loss to Haiti in their Group A CFU World Cup qualifying encounter at the Waterhouse Mini-Stadium, Kingston on Wednesday evening.

A win would have pushed T&T through to next year’s CONCACAF Final round in Mexico but they must instead now defeat Curacao in Friday’s closing match to make sure. This became the scenario after Puerto Rico defeated Curacao 2-1 on Wednesday to  move level with T&T on three points  and stay alive in the race for one of the two spots.

The Puerto Ricans face the already qualified Haitians (six points) from 5pm on Friday with T&T meeting Curacao from 3pm (4pm T&T time).

Earlier this year, the T&T Under 23s needed a last game win over Suriname to advance to the final stage after losing to St Kitts/Nevis in their second outing and in the previous round, this same Under 20 outfit needed to overcome St Vincent/Grenadines after losing to Suriname following their first match win over Guyana.

T&T  found the going tough in Wednesday’s match-up and paid the price for a lackluster showing, particularly in the opening half which saw Haiti take a 31st minute lead through Luckner Horat who rifled a right footer past an outstretched Quesi Weston in goal.

Missing from the starting team was Adan Noel, the provider for the opening goal in Monday’s win over Puerto Rico. He was sidelined with a hamstring injury and 16-year-old Akeem Garcia was not once allowed the luxury of time and room to make any penetrative runs into or around the penalty box against a well organized and vigilant Haitian defence.

Coached by Cuban Manuel Rodriguez, they controlled much of the first half play, enjoying better possession and seemed more intent on seizing the initiative. But it was actually T&T who created the early chances.

Defender Alvin Jones had a header  miss the near right post  in the 4th minute and hardworking midfielder Xavier Rajpaul had T&T’s best opportunity but shot over bar moments later from the inside the six yard box after Garcia found him from the right. Forward Shackiel Henry, who netted against Puerto Rico, could only direct his effort wide of the left far post after collecting from Garcia in the 22nd minute.

Haiti found their stride midway through the half and were unfortunate not to go ahead when France-based professional James Jean Francois had his low shot saved by Weston after Dumy Fede’s initial attempt was blocked.

Then on the half hour mark, Francois’ header came off the upright  and was scrambled away to safety.  Jean Francois is attached to French club Le Mans FC and was a force for his team for much of the ninety minutes.

And what Francois couldn’t finish, Horat didn’t hesitate to show how it was done as he collected on top the area and let fly with his right foot. All Weston could do was retrieve the ball for the restart from the centre.

T&T's players bowed their heads for the remainder of the half and head coach Ross Russell would have hoped his fiery half time talk would have spurred on skipper Duane Muckette and his men. But that was not to be.

Two minutes into the second half, Samuel Pompe stepped up to convert a penalty to send Haiti 2-0 ahead after defender Anthony Charles was called by Guyanese referee Sherwin Johnson for committing a foul.

Russell introduced Carapichaima forward Shaquille Holder and Marcus Gomez in place of Henry and the  ineffective Jomal Williams.

Both replacements  gave better efforts but to no avail. Muckette, who struggled to find his footing in the first half, got more involved as the game progressed but the Haitians maintained their poise and never buckled even as T&T pressed for a first goal.

Gomez had one try at goal in the 76th and Muckette, with a clear sight of the goal, fired over bar in the 84th minute of play.

It’s now all to play for on Friday as Muckette and his men try to keep their 2013 Turkey World Cup dreams alive.

Russell believes his team will get the desired result on Friday but wasn’t pleased with his team’s showing in their second outing

“That’s football sometimes. It didn’t go according to plan for us. Haiti had more fight in them and they deserved the win,” Russell told TTFF Media.

“Our midfield needs to adjust because they didn’t show up today. There are some things to talk through and tidy up going into Friday’s game. We need to improve our finishing. Our guys need to be a bit more calm but also have that killer instinct in front of goal. I think they still have a lot of the College league syndrome in them.

“We need more urgency in our play and a longer period with these players to drill certain things into them. Once we go through to the next phase which I think we will do, we need to continue our preparations and address a lot of things as soon as we get back home.”

Teams

T&T: - 20.Quesi Weston, 2.Anthony Charles, 3.Alvin Jones, 5.Damani Richards, 7.Neil Benjamin, 8.Duane Muckette (capt), 10.Jomal Williams (19.Marcus Gomez 62nd), 11.Xavier Rajpaul, 14.Akeem Garcia, 15.Shaquille Nesbitt (18.Garvin Samaroo 73rd), 17.Shackiel Henry (12.Shaquille Holder 52nd).

Unused Subs: – Kevin Dodds (GK), Dwight Quintero, Shannon Gomez, Keane McIvor.

Coach: - Ross Russell (T&T).

Haiti: - McDonald Mervil, Jean-Voltaire Ismaël, Samuel Pompée (capt), Jude Saint Louis, Charles Alexandre, Amily Frandelin (Spencer Désir 89th), Augusma Wilberne (Renald Metelus 71st), Maurice Jean-Dany, James Jean-François (Alfred Sonthonax 81st), Fede Dumy, Horat Luckner.

Coach: - Manuel Rodriguez (Cuba).

Referee: – Sherwin Johnson (Guyana).

Venue: - Waterhouse Stadium - Kingston, Jamaica.

Attendance: - 300.

Video:  I  Highlights.

Standings - Group A

P  W  T  L  GF  GA  GD Pts
Haiti  2 2 0 0 4 1 +3 6
Trinidad & Tobago  2 1 0 1 2 2 +0 3
Puerto Rico  2 1 0 1 2 3 -1 3
Curaçao  2 0 0 2 2 4 -2 0

Standings - Group B

P  W  T  L  GF  GA  GD Pts
Cuba  1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
Jamaica  1 1 0 0 1 0 +1 3
Suriname  1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
Antigua & Barbuda  1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:43:22 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Another must win as T&T go down to Haiti.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MAqxd2kbyXI&amp;list=UUYjTv-40_nhaU5HVy5er3U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MAqxd2kbyXI&amp;list=UUYjTv-40_nhaU5HVy5er3U</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 06:55:46 AM »
Will someone remind me what year are we in? I am hearing the same excuses , different words that I heard
 over the last six years. Scoring goals is a problem , yet the forwards are scoring in the College League.
 So what is the College League mentality that the Coach is talking about. Oh Well , I guess to look on the bright side we will win tomorrow and move to the next round and all will be well. If I may humbly suggest that some serious scouting take place in England and the USA for the next Qualifiers. Notice Haiti already did not leave anything to chance and have players from the French League.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
Ah hate de stupid local coaches bro, only silly excuses.

Just admit yuh get yuh ass buss.

Yuh missing one player and bitching.

This is why yuh pick de best 18.

Wait, de senior team next, one player injured and de team cant proform.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:00:52 AM »
When I watch them SSFL games and seeing one setta blade passing...I does wonder WTF does happen when man reach on the national team.  All through that clip I didn't see not one real tackle on the ball.  Man only running and shadowing the player on the ball and allowing them Haitians to play they game comfortably.  The time we winning ball is through bad bounce and bad passes.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:03:18 AM »
 sorry for curacao .. after 2 games I think di yutes dem ready ... dey gonna put a  good cutarse on curacao.
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
This team needs a shake up ...... if they qualify for the next round
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »
No offence to Haiti.

But imagine a country with less resources beating us at this level every time.

It shows how poor we are at the administration level.

The Haiti team looked much more organised and give us less playing time on the ball, closed down all spaces too, they seemed better coached.

I to am not happy with Ross Russell as a coach.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:37:44 AM »
Let us hire Celtics Coach- Now that is Coach

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
No offence to Haiti.

The Haiti team looked much more organised and give us less playing time on the ball, closed down all spaces too, they seemed better coached.

Haiti always come out to play Starchild.. Dais how I does feal about JA dey always come out wid a lion heart.. our players does jes go through di motions like dey cya wait for 90 minutes to dun....

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
The Trinis play with no heart and they play in small zones with few individual runs.

Even if we make it to the next rounds, T&T not going anywhere because we are NEVER prepared, money or none, we never.

I hope Anil squeeze the TTFF board until Anton and company leaves for good.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Fellas, it hard to judge from the highlights. I don't see such a big difference between the teams. To me both teams looked even. Haiti just took that first opportunity and scored. We had a couple of chances also. Don't say the guys don't have heart. I beg to differ. Good luck to the guys for the next game.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
question ...... whats the status with  matthew woo ling  does anybody know,  is he injured ? has he gone back on trial overseas?  its just questionable  how a youth with so much obvious talent not  on the under20 squad seeing that he  was there prior to this round of games...... hmm ???????   concerning the present coach  he better get it right for friday to have this team qualify for the next phase and stop making excuses, haiti buss we ass plain and simple yesterday !!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
question ...... whats the status with  matthew woo ling  does anybody know,  is he injured ? has he gone back on trial overseas?  its just questionable  how a youth with so much obvious talent not  on the under20 squad seeing that he  was there prior to this round of games...... hmm ???????   concerning the present coach  he better get it right for friday to have this team qualify for the next phase and stop making excuses, haiti buss we ass plain and simple yesterday !!!!!

Woo Ling was on de U-17 team, not de U-20
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »

Haiti always come out to play Starchild.. Dais how I does feal about JA dey always come out wid a lion heart.. our players does jes go through di motions like dey cya wait for 90 minutes to dun....

war

AMEN
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
ok  tallman  my bad,  thanks for the correction

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b9EfR2mAxgY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/b9EfR2mAxgY</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
No offence to Haiti.

What kind of resources you talking about? Human Resources or Financial resources. And judging by the state of your football federation, it might just be the case that there is more FINCANCIAL resources in Haitian football than there is in T&T football at the moment. The assumption here is that we not talking about money from the national treasury. I also like what guyana are doing with I assume, very meagure financial resources. Look at ghana also...relatively poor country, but can hold its own agaisnt the world powers (USA for instance) Human resources trump financial resources in football IMHO
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:45:14 PM by Reggaefan »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
resource allocation at the appropriate time is the issue with our football. The confusion between the new TTFF and govt is what is holding back the various football programs. TTFF has no money after jack left. So while this Admin. is figuring a way to get funds, they have to depend on the govt for stop gap measures. The business community is not interested in football, except if they were to reach the final of some important tournament. Then they would start coming out of the woodwork. The irony is that the business community lacks confidence in the football admin because of the corrupt practices of the socalled special advisor, who is now the min. of national security. You think them business men want to step on his toes. On the other hand the gov't is demanding strict adherences to transparency. While this a welcome move, there is strong political motivation by the sport minister to see this admin. suffer so they can put in their people.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
No offence to Haiti.

What kind of resources you talking about? Human Resources or Financial resources. And judging by the state of your football federation, it might just be the case that there is more FINCANCIAL resources in Haitian football than there is in T&T football at the moment. The assumption here is that we not talking about money from the national treasury. I also like what guyana are doing with I assume, very meagure financial resources. Look at ghana also...relatively poor country, but can hold its own agaisnt the world powers (USA for instance) Human resources trump financial resources in football IMHO

You would be surprise to know how much money places like Ghana, Nigeria etc puts into its National program. Don't just throw that out there. They play several international peparation games before they attempt to qualify.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »
i understand it's a money issue but that should not stop the players from pro forming very poorly..  :banginghead:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Haiti look a lot more prepared. The players showed that they understood their tactics and strategies well and they got it across pretty successfully.

Really liked what I saw in the highlights.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:59 AM »
Time  open up the team give thise college  players a try   lee-him ,skylar thomas , morris ,Ranjitisingh, Jeroen Blugh and the scottish striker

1]; } ?>