March 29, 2024, 07:30:31 AM

Author Topic: Guyana-born defender helps revive T&T's Caribbean Cup dreams against Suriname  (Read 2085 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warriors spank Suriname to revive chances
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Trinidad and Tobago’s recent football upheavals started—or perhaps ended—at the hands of Caribbean colleagues, Guyana. But at least, Guyana had the good grace to give something back. More on that later.

The “Soca Warriors” managed their first home victory under interim coach Hutson “Barber” Charles last night with a 3-0 win over Suriname in the second outing of their 2012 Caribbean Cup semifinal group competition at Bacolet, Tobago.

A six goal triumph would have put Trinidad and Tobago ahead of Cuba on goal difference and left the Warriors only needing one point on Sunday against President Raúl Castro’s men to be guaranteed a place in next month’s regional finals in Antigua and Barbuda. Instead, Cuba would have a slender advantage when both teams meet tomorrow from 6 pm.

Trinidad and Tobago and Cuba have four points each while St Vincent and the Grenadines can get to five points with a win over Suriname from 4 pm at the same venue.

So the Warriors’ win yesterday was encouraging without quite being satisfying. A bit like getting a saucer-sized serving of your favourite meal.

And yet something about Trinidad and Tobago’s third goal, scored by Guyana-born defender Aubrey David, felt like a good omen.

David’s finish was composed and precise. But that wasn’t the point. What mattered is that he cared enough to be here to score in the first place and then celebrated like it meant something.

“First to begin, I want to thank God for the opportunity to play today,” said David. “It is a great feeling to play for my national team and to get a goal on my (full) debut was great for me.”

Trinidad and Tobago has fielded players with two passports before with Chris Birchall being the most famous and successful example—if one omitted Shaka Hislop from the list on the grounds that he never seemed foreign. But which one of them ever rejected their home country for our sake?

Read More

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:52:52 AM by Flex »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I like charles , he's the total opposite to latas, he has class and seems to know something about players with talent, bc latas didn't.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Dumplingdinho

I like charles , he's the total opposite to latas, he has class and seems to know something about players with talent, bc latas didn't.

is not that latas didnt know talent, he just picked ppl who liked him (i.e. groupies).

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nice report Lasana, can we beg you for a player rating?

And an SWO shout out congratulating the team and wishing them well.

One thing I must say is the heart David plays with I can only hope others take note.

It's not always about money but when one plays with heart and determination the reward will come.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hmmm. I never thought about a player rating. I will give that some thought. But SWO guys can also leave comments on the site to give your shout outs;-)

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zJCSLd7Q1tk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zJCSLd7Q1tk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qI7nZuhtCbI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qI7nZuhtCbI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hmmm. I never thought about a player rating. I will give that some thought. But SWO guys can also leave comments on the site to give your shout outs;-)
Thank you for your reports.  Any chance we could get updates (here, on Twitter, on the Wired868 page) on any goals in the first match tomorrow please?  Its been very tough to get any info on the matches not involving T&T and obviously that one could affect T&T's qualification.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I always do a report on the first game within an hour on the website and that is pushed to our facebook and twitter pages and posted here. I can tweet the final score right after the final whistle.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I always do a report on the first game within an hour on the website and that is pushed to our facebook and twitter pages and posted here. I can tweet the final score right after the final whistle.
I saw your half time update, thanks for that

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
it have so much outsider in trinidad now, just now u go see china born, venezuela born, etc. on the side.or their youths.

everybody welcome. one love.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
it have so much outsider in trinidad now, just now u go see china born, venezuela born, etc. on the side.or their youths.

No offense, but what purpose did that statement serve?

for all you know you might be an outsider too. the last i checked, if ah fella don't have a substantial amount of carib or arawak blood, then he cyar bun nobody who have heritage from another country since both us yuhs are "outsiders".
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

No offense, but what purpose did that statement serve?

for all you know you might be an outsider too. the last i checked, if ah fella don't have a substantial amount of carib or arawak blood, then he cyar bun nobody who have heritage from another country since both us yuhs are "outsiders".

Is long time now I saying we should send some men to breed women in Brazil, Italy, Spain, Holland and Germany.  Let them make boy chirren and play football over there and reclaim them in 20 years time  ;D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

1]; } ?>