April 29, 2024, 05:25:44 AM

Author Topic: Bunji and Nigel different, but the same  (Read 5905 times)

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji and Nigel different, but the same
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
what alyuh think bout the vid

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I</a>

Slightly less disappointing than Bunji standing in a 1980's TTT studio with plastic plants in the background and a disco ball providing the lighting effects.

They coulda take this in so many other directions, I can't understand how they decide on this.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:33:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
what alyuh think bout the vid

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I</a>
Big disappointment!

This unofficial video is much better!

Bunji Garlin - Differentology (Unofficial Music Video) DJRighteousStudio
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uuQA32iSeg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_uuQA32iSeg</a>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:36:12 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
lord i ent know one person who like it...too many directions...shoulda stick to one storyline

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
He shouldn't of make no video.

The director copy the ole 3 canal mud madness and then say lemme mix it with gladiator and den say I hadda throw in some costumes and BAM...a hot mess.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
that video is pure tata ah wonder if he really listened to the song

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
I have to agree the video is disappointing. Especially for a big song like that. It really lame.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:33:08 PM by Deeks »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Nigel Thompson talks Differentology video
Nigel Thompson talks Differentology video
Date: Sat, 01-06-2013

Gladiators, horses, swords, spears, axes, mud, mas and hot sun all scream step aside Spartacus, make way for Differentology!

For director Nigel Thompson the concept for the much anticipated Differentology video was clear; it would be theatrical, over the top and as epic as the song itself.

“The idea for the video had been brewing in mind since the song’s release.

Then after the brainstorming session which involved Jarod Faria (marketing and distribution), Alana Ramlal (Marketing Manager) and Bunji Garlin we came up with the concept of merging elements of J’ouvert and the Viking mythology which dominated Garlin’s 2013 Carnival persona. The gladiator aspect was actually used to invoke the spirit of mas man, George Bailey. It also symbolises Carnival, past, present and the future,” said director and CEO of Black Ice entertainment, Nigel Thompson.

The only thing that was left to acquire was the costuming needed to transform Bunji Garlin into the Viking.

After searching online for the props to no avail, a friend assured him that the swords, axes, spears and goatskin capes could be made locally.

So, he got them made and was not disappointed. In fact the final products exceeded his expectations.

So far Thompson is happy that the video has been accepted with open arms for the most part but he knows that there are some people that don’t like it.

Despite the latter Thompson knows everyone has an opinion about the ways things should be done but this is his take on it.

“Soca videos don’t all have to follow the same format. For a long time artistes have been bent on making their music more international sounding, but it has to look that way too. Why should I follow a format that isn’t working, it goes right to a definition of madness. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I’m not knocking fete footage with girls wining in slow mo though, it’s just that it has been done so many times,” said Thompson.

Thompson, who is also the elder brother of the producer of the hit track, Keron Thompson aka Sheriff, added that the elaborate nature of the video was to present more than just a wine and jam video and present something of an artistic nature that would have some sort of shelf life.

“Everyone knows Trinis could wine…and yes Carnival is about that but it’s not all that Carnival expression is. To me, using the costuming of K2K Alliance was symbolic of the future because as fashion is everywhere, even in mainstream Carnival and that where it’s at right now in terms of moving forward in mas creation,” said Thompson.

The video was shot in three days at TCL/Readymix Melau quarry in Valencia and at La Chiva in Maraval.

While shooting the video went well, the editing process was where the real work began.

“My take on film production is not about hustling. It’s about utilising ideas and crafting a product that is worthy to be called art,” said Thompson.

Roughly 20 years ago Thompson started off in TV but viewed it only as a job—something to pay the bills.

After a couple stints at some broadcasting houses he realised that wanted to make it his career.

He was soon working independently developing television commercials and business features.

“It was actually because of others noticing me that I identified something in my work and ideas. People were always telling that my ideas and perception of things were different. I was always interested in starting my own business and I knew that I had to get out of the big business model to be able to nurture and expand my ideas,” said Thompson.

As far directing music videos go, Thompson’s approach is one of honesty. If he doesn’t feel the track he simply can’t do the video.

“I feel songs for what they are. I listen and wait for images to form in my head. Sometimes in flows all together seamlessly, then sometimes it comes as segmented bits of one idea but all in all I’m searching for a story to tell. I like telling stories, and I try to add that dimension to it. Sometimes people get it sometimes they don’t. If you don’t get it shoot me a message and I’ll explain,” said Thompson.

As far as the future is concerned, Thompson has his eyes set on movie making. He has already worked out the concept for his first film and gave us a little sneak peek.

“The movie is going to be a social commentary about life in T&T. It will focus on the evolution and also the devolution of our society throughout the years. But as far as the format of the movie you will have to just wait and see it for yourself,” he said.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to hear it today on The Joint on Sirius Satellite Radio.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to hear it today on The Joint on Sirius Satellite Radio.
Lets hope it could be a legit international hit this year/summer as many folks home were hoping or predicting!  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
EXCLUSIVE: Bunji Garlin signs major music deal with European label! Deets inside…
Written by Jay Blessed (Celebrity Gossip)

Four-time International Power Soca Monarch, Bunji Garlin, who recently signed a recording deal with VP Records, has also signed on with French independent music label – Playon.

In a historic move for the Ragga-Soca singer turned international music phenom, Bunji Garlin’s ascent into global popularity was further catapulted after the release of his smash single, “Differentlogy.” Since it’s release in late 2012, the single has been an agent of tremendous good fortune for the award-winning singer, songwriter and producer.

As elated as the artist is about the new deal, his new team over at Playon are even more excited at the limitless possibilities with the Trinbagonian artiste.

“We are extremely proud to announce the signing for Europe of the famous Trinidadian artist Bunji for Europe (besides the UK), “ stated Sebastien Duclos, co-founder of Playon.

Duclos continued, “This is a huge priority for us and has great expectancies for the end of 2013 and 2014. Music is about passion, and we are truly passionate about Bunji’s music and extremely optimistic about our ability to touch a broad audience in the territories we handle.”

In an exclusive interview with JAYBLESSED.com, Bunji Garlin’s manager – Ian Pantin gave us the full details on this new Playon deal and what it means for Soca music. Pantin stated that with the assistance of Jean Michel Gibert, he was able to set up a team of high profile label consultants in Europe, North America and the Caribbean.

“Collectively, we pooled our resources and was able to secure interest from several labels, before selecting the ones he (Bunji) signed on with,” said Ian Pantin.

Bunji Garlin’s Differentology has been signed as a single release for all of Europe, excluding England on Playon.

In clarifying the European deal, Pantin stated, “Even though Differentology is doing respectably in Europe, the Differentology Major Lazer remix is the focus here. Bumaye a smash hit between Busy Signal and Major Lazer is doing exceedingly well over there. The idea here is to promote the Differentology remix in a similar vein using the EMI /Play On resources available to promote and network the song. This will open up festival performance opportunities across Europe for him and his band and with an impending follow up album, the Bunji Garlin Brand will grow globally.”

Expounding more on the differences between Bunji Garlin’s U.S. label deal vs his European deal, Pantin added, “The culture of sound is diametrically different between the US and Europe. Europeans appear to be more accepting to the music genres of the world. In addition, rave music continues to grow in Europe and internationally. The sound of the Differentology remix is soca/rave. Different but fused as such to an audience that can relate and accept. So the marketing strategy for Differentology between the US and Europe will play different routes.”

“Bunji Garlin’s philosophy has always been that any new avenues and doors that opens up for him, he will work for opportunities to open up the same for other soca artistes as well,” Pantin continued.

When asked if he knew Differentology would be such a global hit, Pantin confessed, “What I do know is that from day one in its raw stages before the final mix it continued to give me goose bumps. So I knew it was a hit. The magnitude of which it has attained is a dream come true for Bunji Garlin. This is 15 years in the making, I knew it would happen one day, just was not certain which song and when.”

Bunji Garlin is set for a seven country European tour in Spring 2014. He will perform at the end of August 2013 in England for Notting Hill Carnival and will then headline in the U.S. at the Barclays Center on Saturday August 31st for the Caribbean Fever Irie Jamboree Music Festival.

ABOUT PLAYON: Playon was founded in 2006 and has become, in just a few years, one of the leading french independent labels. For three consecutive years ,its market share is amongst the highest of all labels (in albums sales, and media visibility: TV/Radio/Clubs). Playon has activities in music production, publishing, touring, and dvd editors. Warner Music is a major shareholder in Playon.

1]; } ?>