March 28, 2024, 05:02:53 PM

Author Topic: Guerra shines as T&T qualifies in style with 1-0 win over Cuba  (Read 5526 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guerra shines as T&T qualifies in style with 1-0 win over Cuba
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
Guerra sinks Cuba as Warriors top group
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Ataullah Guerra transformed the Dwight Yorke Stadium into a love nest tonight with the decisive goal as the “Soca Warriors” advanced to next month’s 2012 Caribbean Cup finals in style with a 1-0 victory over Cuba 1-0 in Bacolet, Tobago.

Guerra hopped along the running track, blowing kisses to the crowd. And the patrons screamed back at him with adulation. It was Trinidad and Tobago football’s best moment this year so far.

The Warriors had qualified before the opening whistle thanks to a surprise 1-0 win for Suriname over St Vincent and the Grenadines at the same venue. St Vincent coach Cornelius Huggins did the hard work with his team, which managed successive 1-1 draws with Trinidad and Tobago and Cuba, and then left Tobago to attend a coaching symposium on his own island.

Only Huggins can say whether his decision was based on misplaced optimism or forced by his employers. Either way, the result was dire for “Vincey Heat” and there might be some awkward conversations when Huggins next meets his players.

In contrast, Trinidad and Tobago interim head coach Hutson “Barber” Charles was beaming with pride as he addressed the media after the final whistle.

“We are very pleased to top the group,” said Charles. “We grew from strength to strength after every game.”

Trinidad and Tobago has now gone six games without a defeat while the win also means that the Warriors will avoid Jamaica in the group phase next month. Instead, captain Jan-Michael Williams and his men will play hosts Antigua and Barbuda, Martinique and the runner-up from another qualifying group that includes Haiti, Grenada and French Guiana.

Williams insisted that his team’s ambition is to regain the Caribbean title for the first time since 2001.
“The most important thing for us is to make the country proud,” said Williams. “We want to put Trinidad and Tobago back in its rightful place at the top.”

Trinidad and Tobago’s last two Caribbean Cup excursions ended in group stage elimination under veteran coach Francisco Maturana in 2008 and novice Russell Latapy in 2010. It would be a stretch to say that the current squad has distinguished itself from either of the previous teams on the field yet.

But, mentally, the current crop seems primed for achievement. Arguably, they should not even be here.

Read More

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:46:05 AM by Flex »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Guerra shines as T&T qualifies in style with 1-0 win over Cuba
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »
Nicely. Nice.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »
Big up guerra, i specifically remember that it was you , hyland and peltier who went to arsenal and pompey 5 yrs ago on trial, but only pelteir and hyland got the bly, i also remember wenger and harry lauding your ability, so i'm not surprised.  well done. :applause: :cheers:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »
Big up guerra, i specifically remember that it was you , hyland and peltier who went to arsenal and pompey 5 yrs ago on trial, but only pelteir and hyland got the bly, i also remember wenger and harry lauding your ability, so i'm not surprised.  well done. :applause: :cheers:

Actually, only Peltier was on trial at Arsenal. Portsmouth wanted to sign all three, but there were work permit issues. Celtic also wanted them, but that deal fell through.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:59:03 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Raul

• Full Warrior
  • ¡Hala Madrid!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
Warriors into Caribbean Cup finals
Published:
Monday, November 19, 2012
Clayton Clarke

T&T’s Soca Warriors advanced to next month’s Caribbean Cup finals without kicking a ball, after the first match of the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet, double-header, yesterday resulted in a 1-0 victory for Suriname over St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Despite the win, which came as a result of a converted penalty from Suriname’s captain and custodian Ronny Aloema in the latter stages of the first half, neither team was able to advance, leaving the other two teams in its group T&T and Cuba to scrap for top spot in the night’s second match, despite both teams progressing. T&T lost 1-0 to Cuba, who topped the group with T&T finishing second.

Cuba’s goal came in the 28th minute through Artulo Guerra.

---------------

I kid you not... 1:46am and this is article on the TT Guardian website

http://guardian.co.tt/sport/2012-11-18/warriors-caribbean-cup-finals

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »
I Second Dat Motion! It in yuh Homie. Everything else is on you! Play de fitball! (borrowed)
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »
" TULLA...TULLA...There's only one TULLA..There's only one TULLA
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:38:17 AM »
congrats to the players and staff...well done...on to the finals...more hard work to come...play de fitball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »
Published:
Clayton Clarke

T&T’s Soca Warriors advanced to next month’s Caribbean Cup finals without kicking a ball, after the first match of the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet, double-header, yesterday resulted in a 1-0 victory for Suriname over St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Despite the win, which came as a result of a converted penalty from Suriname’s captain and custodian Ronny Aloema in the latter stages of the first half, neither team was able to advance, leaving the other two teams in its group T&T and Cuba to scrap for top spot in the night’s second match, despite both teams progressing. T&T lost 1-0 to Cuba, who topped the group with T&T finishing second.

---------------

dey change it :D,  but poor reporting
I pity the fool....

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »
Published:
Clayton Clarke

---------------

dey change it :D,  but poor reporting
It still incorrect at the time of writing...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
This is unbelievable!!!!

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
Trinidad Guardian racks up the own goals in its 2012 Caribbean Cup football coverage this weekend

Let’s just call this a weekend to forget for the Trinidad Guardian sports desk. Or maybe it was a weekend to forget about their sport desk.
Read more: http://www.wired868.com/2012/11/19/trinidad-guardian-spoil-sports-literally/

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »
This is unbelievable!!!!
It is not unbeleivable... the so called sports journalists do not attend sporting events in Tobago. After the game then calling who ever they can to get the information. Same way they reported BHS girls playing in their usual maroon and white, when they were playing in purple....

Shameless.....

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »
Link doh work for me. 'Permission Deined'.

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
It seems that they finally realized the error and took it down

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
It seems that they finally realized the error and took it down
Now they just need to realize the error of 'Deined' and take down dat.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »
nice guerra, hardest always spoke well about you, happy to see you coming through, hoping to see you out of trinidad soon with a big club

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
Well done Mr. Charles, Staff and players  :applause:
Tough group ahead, but fully capable.
Some club leagues will be on Winter break (Dec 2), so its possible corn curls and other foreign based
can be made available.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q8csBtzk4Qo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q8csBtzk4Qo</a>
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/q8csBtzk4Qo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/q8csBtzk4Qo</a>
wow lok like cuba had sum real clear cut chances gone wide.. am happy with the win andf hoping to see us win it all if not at least get to the goal cup...
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
12 seconds into de clip Joevin Jones make a hell of ah run they sah, ah love it....

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DRqwkUZuKE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-DRqwkUZuKE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DRqwkUZuKE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-DRqwkUZuKE</a>
In the 38 sec mark it look like the tobago obeah workin good sar. that man blast ah ball wide of an empty post. from this clip i not impressed with the defense @ all, against better opposition they will make us pay dearly.

love kern cupid, very solid defender, saw him against the red bulls ah few yrs ago and he was class, hope he gets to go abraod and learn his craft well since he will never develop in the pro league, but this defense needs tightening up.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:34:35 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 02:20:38 PM »
Got to say that this yute houton hector is just pure class, a clear cut above the rest and real easy on the eye.  :applause:

this yute should be in a top flight league in europe, what ah clean immaculate player, just ah joy to watch.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
That ball Hector put across, and that man miss that header. pa-pa-yo!!!!!!

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:33 PM »
In the 38 sec mark it look like the tobago obeah workin good sar. that man blast ah ball wide of an empty post. from this clip i not impressed with the defense @ all, again better opposition they will make us pay dearly.

love kern cupid, very solid defender, saw him against the red bulls ah few yrs ago and he was class, hope he gets to go abraod and learn his craft well since he will never develop in the pro league, but this defense needs tightening up.

Look at the defense from bleeder from 2:26 to 2:38. This is supposed to be one of our 'holding midfielders'.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 11:39:39 PM »

da miss geh meh real vex dread... >:(
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEKVCKu_KGw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eEKVCKu_KGw</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »
Aye Tallman...when did u lend Tim-Kee yuh voice? De man does sound just like you. lol
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »

So Hector is the # 7, nah he look rel good ind dat clip wid dat cross, I won't even try to figure out what de hell the #16 Rasta do to unscore dat goal, ah rewind it bout 99 times to see wat ah miss:)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

1]; } ?>