April 18, 2024, 10:28:35 AM

Author Topic: Shabazz requests new selection policy for Soca Warriors  (Read 3153 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shabazz requests new selection policy for Soca Warriors
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »
Shabazz requests new selection policy for Warriors
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868.com)

Trinidad and Tobago national football head coach Jamaal Shabazz has declared his intention to create a new selection policy for the “Soca Warriors” in a bid to bring more transparency to the senior squad and to better motivate Pro League players.

Shabazz, who was appointed the joint head coach alongside Hutson “Barber” Charles last week, told Wired868.com that he intends to meet technical director Anton Corneal as soon as possible with an aim towards imposing guidelines for future training squads.

He explained that the coach will continue to have ultimate responsibility for his match day squad but believes a more open process to naming a training shortlist can impact positively on the local game.

“The selection of the final squad is based on the coach’s determination but I think being called up to a training squad should require definite criteria,” Shabazz told Wired868. “What is the reward for a player who is doing well in the Pro League on a weekly basis or season in and season out? We need to develop policy and guidelines regarding that.”

Shabazz’s proposed guidelines could exclude local players outside the Pro League from representing their country.

Sylvester Teesdale, who competes in the Southern Football Association (SFA), is the lone squad player from the Caribbean Cup semifinal round in Tobago who was not invited to train with the senior squad as it prepares for the finals in Antigua and Barbuda. Several schoolboys represented the national senior team in the past too including present Defence Force assistant coach Marvin Gordon (Malick Secondary), Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones (St Anthony’s College) and Central FC defender Akeem Adams (Presentation College, Chaguanas).

But, if Shabazz has his way, players will need to first prove their ambition by joining Pro League teams.

“Teesdale is not playing in the Pro League but in the zone,” said Shabazz. “He is a good player but what kind of intensity is he facing there as opposed to Richard Roy (in the Pro League)? We have to make this a lot more scientific and transparent. A player must know that there is a pathway to the national team whether he is playing in the zone or secondary schools. So it will improve his ambition.

“If a guy is a good player and he wants to become a national player, he knows what he has to do and it makes for fairness.”

Foreign-based players in their off-season will not be exempt from the new code either.

Five overseas players involved with the present Caribbean Cup squad are on break from their club duties. In the future, Shabazz believes they should all be obligated to turn up for training with Pro League clubs.

“Foreign based players often come home and are not active or training with anybody,” he said. “Do they deserve a place in the national team? How does their inactivity impact on their fitness? I think if we put criteria in place for these things, we can help all our national teams going forward.”

Shabazz also announced that he has divorced himself from Caledonia AIA in a technical capacity in an effort to offer transparency himself.

The 49-year-old coach helped Caledonia to four titles last season including the Caribbean Cup crown while also leading Guyana to an unprecedented spot in the World Cup qualifying semifinal round. But he will concede his coaching post with Caledonia to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest, although he wants to continue representing the “Eastern Stallions” in administrative issues like fund raising.

“The major thing I will continue to do is the political side of things to ensure the survival of the organisation,” said Shabazz. “I will have to continue to do that. But I will not make any technical input or hide to coach to the team.

“I will talk to the coach (Jerry Moe) in the same way that I talk to all of the Pro League coaches.”

Shabazz helped eliminate Trinidad and Tobago from the 2014 World Cup qualifiers while operating as Guyana coach but he described his new role with the Warriors as a dream job.

There are parallels of co-leaders in business but it has never been done in Trinidad and Tobago’s football while Sweden offers the only example of it at international level. Tommy Söderberg and Lars Lagerbäck steered Sweden to the 2002 World Cup and 2004 Euro tournaments while operating as joint head coaches.

In an earlier interview, Shabazz told Wired868 that he hopes his partnership with Charles sets a good example to local citizens in all spheres.

“This generation has got to demonstrate to the past generation that the day of Mao, Gaddafi and Mubarak is no more,” said Shabazz, a Jamaat-al-Muslimeen member. “The idea of mutual consultation is a powerful concept in leadership in Islam.”

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:41:39 AM by Flex »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shabazz requests new selection policy for Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
I like what Shabazz is saying.....but Teesdale is signed to T&TEC now. Not sure if it's a loan, but I think he played in their last game.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
Makes no sense. If you are a prodigy in highschool and not attached to a club what then, no chance.

What if you are in a league in Colombia, you getting blank??

I wish reporters would ask relevant questions rather than just copy what these men say.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »
Shabbaz needs tuh stop fackin talking!! hutson charles has been coach for little under a yr and did much less talking than this new fella!

for the little time charles was there he only reported on the positives, i really loved this guy as coach, and this half chinese bum had to go spoil it by bringing in this monkey man!

boy how i'm beginning to hate Trinidad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frustrated:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:31:36 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
 In the same breath,  ah wonder if he think there ought to be a new policy on how coaches are appointed to national teams?

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »
In the same breath,  ah wonder if he think there ought to be a new policy on how coaches are appointed to national teams?

Co- Frigging Sign !!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
Best thing i've ever head emanated from your finger tips.   :applause: :applause:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
So dat mean Jorsling will always be in the team then  :cursing: , Super League teams showing that they are on the level of and even better that some Pro League teams and dis is the s#*t he talking. No chance for the likes Rundel Winchester(Stokely Vale), Darren Mitchell,(Phoenix), Duane Muckette (FC Santa Rosa) getting a fair chance...  ??? smfh

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
Maybe it's just his way of trying to promote the Pro League and encourage players to sign professional? 

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:52:11 PM »
The man eh say WE, he say ME.

Is this him alluding to who really in charge of the MNT?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
he's a cunnnnyhole! why he doh stfu with he big mouth...i rel dislike this fella boy...i wish i had he # i woulda call him and let him know he eh deserve shit!

Trying to implement a criteria for selection....organise one for coach selection too nah!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
Seems he is to Soca Warrior fans what Benitez is to Chelsea fans...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:41:40 AM »

U tink Barber will challenge Jamal? Only if he plan 2 use he army training and they goin hand 2 hand combat.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »
What Shabazz is saying if looked at in a certain context, may have merit.

If I read it right he is speaking about selection of players playing in T&T

First to begin it will force the better players to play in the pro league. Which in itself will be good for the league and may assist with the marketing & promotion. I have long felt that T&T football is way too fragmented.

College players will need to be aligned with a club. This is essential, you cannot have players playing football in a 3 month season and expect they will be prepared for International football.

The Pro League fixture list can now fall in place with CONCACAF competitions & FIFA dates, aiding in the release of players.

T&T Football will now have a platform, where at the end of the season ZONAL squads (North, South, East, Tobago etc) can be selected, for a major competition, which if promoted right can make money &
create a selection base / camp for the National team

The proposal should not be simply cast aside simply because of dislike for Shabazz. It may be helpful if the forum members could use this TOPIC / thread and add to the discussion

just a thought
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:18 AM »
Make sense

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
Stupid to exclude players from outside of the Pro League from selection.  Men get called up from the Championship in England all the time.  That makes no sense.  And if a schoolboy prodigy is good enough to represent a national senion team, then they too should be selected on merit.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »

First to begin it will force the better players to play in the pro league. Which in itself will be good for the league and may assist with the marketing & promotion. I have long felt that T&T football is way too fragmented.

College players will need to be aligned with a club. This is essential, you cannot have players playing football in a 3 month season and expect they will be prepared for International football.

The Pro League fixture list can now fall in place with CONCACAF competitions & FIFA dates, aiding in the release of players.

T&T Football will now have a platform, where at the end of the season ZONAL squads (North, South, East, Tobago etc) can be selected, for a major competition, which if promoted right can make money &

The proposal should not be simply cast aside simply because of dislike for Shabazz. It may be helpful if the forum members could use this TOPIC / thread and add to the discussion

just a thought
  :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
Shabbaz needs tuh stop fackin talking!! hutson charles has been coach for little under a yr and did much less talking than this new fella!

for the little time charles was there he only reported on the positives, i really loved this guy as coach, and this half chinese bum had to go spoil it by bringing in this monkey man!

boy how i'm beginning to hate Trinidad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frustrated:

Yeah, I agree ... the chatter from him seems a bit distasteful.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
Stupid to exclude players from outside of the Pro League from selection.  Men get called up from the Championship in England all the time.  That makes no sense.  And if a schoolboy prodigy is good enough to represent a national senion team, then they too should be selected on merit.

But Championship players are playing up to 60 games per season and train consistently. Even League 2 teams have better fitness than the Pro League.
An exceptional schoolboy may be useful as a squad player, but he needs professional coaching to become a first team player. speaking from experience, the step up from school football to the Pro League is vast. Some adapt quicker than others. Their skill isn't the problem, it's their work rate, attitude and general professionalism that fails them. This may be corrected in the Pro League Reserves, or even the senior team, but they cannot learn on the job in international football. That is a whole new learning curve in itself.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »

From reading he spoke about all players

How many players can the Pro Legaue employ? Those players who are not firtunate enough to be seen by a Pro Legaue coach but can cut it, what about them?

These 3 months players who play at top program may be as fit and possess as much a professional attitude as the pro league. It can be argued they may even show a bit more professionalism than some in the pro league as they are in an environment where they are monitored and there are specific expectations they need to meet.

What has/had stopped the PL from aligning its dates with FIFA calendar? Why the selction criteria being touted make for such an implementation?

just a thought
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
Ammm...while I use meh lil critical thinking skills to analyze what dis c$#t talking bout...I have one question...WHY?

Using the Teesdale example, if ah youth not playing for a pro team (for whatever reason) he cyah get picked right, but how much men we have that fit that criteria?

Of the current U-17 team, 11 of the 20 players attached to pro teams, well maybe Kishun Seecahran fron Santa Rosa might suffer but me eh hear nobody talking bout he ripping enough to make the senior team??

And lastly...ah cyah wait to hear what Pullis (or whoever the foreign-based coach is) will say if KJ (or whomever) get he knee blow out while practicing with Jabloteh in order to make dis c*&t team.

Furthermore we should only have ah FEW locals on de damn national team (well for de most part i.e)!! Foreign based playing in foreign for a reason right???

If ah missing something, I'm always open for enlightenment?

"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »

Not sure this is accurate, the last player outside of Zaha to get a cal up from the Championship for England was who?

Outside of that, I agree with what you are saying. However, for such a small country T&T football needs to be stream lined.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »

Not sure this is accurate, the last player outside of Zaha to get a cal up from the Championship for England was who?

Outside of that, I agree with what you are saying. However, for such a small country T&T football needs to be stream lined.
They called up a young Championship keeper recently as well.
Difference is that the Championship is still a professional league. I doh have a problem with establishing professional standards for our football. Too much 'oh gosh, nah...' and 'giving a bligh' in TT culture as it is.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:03:39 PM by Dinner Mints »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »
YAWN.......

:sleepy:

wake me up when the nightmare is over with...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

Rob Green was called up, Jack Butland, Jay Bothroyd, and Kevin Phillips.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:42:07 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
okay thanks for the info.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

They called up a young Championship keeper recently as well.
Difference is that the Championship is still a professional league. I doh have a problem with establishing professional standards for our football. Too much 'oh gosh, nah...' and 'giving a bligh' in TT culture as it is.
The keeper was actually in League 2 when he was first called into the team

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Not bad suggestions from Shabazz, since it would help streamline our players and congest the pro league with more quality, but he have to be a mad man to think that a foreign based player have to train with a local club to make a national side.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

1]; } ?>