April 26, 2024, 10:22:19 PM

Author Topic: Malala to T&T students: Give thanks for your education..I met Brian Lara  (Read 2715 times)

socafighter

Malala to T&T students: Give thanks for your education
Published: Guardian
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Taureef Mohammed

Former West Indies cricket captain Brian Lara looks on as Pakistani schoolgirl and education activist Malala Yousafzai tries her hand with a cricket bat during a private meeting with him at a Port-of-Spain hotel on Monday evening. Malala, an avid cricket fan, met Lara at her request. Yesterday she said: “I met an amazing person yesterday (Monday) who I thought I would never meet in my life. I met Brian Lara.”

Children in T&T should be thankful for the educational opportunities and must take full advantage of them, says world-renowned education activist Malala Yousafzai. Addressing an audience of schoolchildren at the National Academy for the Performing Arts, Port-of-Spain, yesterday, the 17-year-old, ranked in 2013 as one of the 100 most influential people in the world by Time Magazine, said: “In this country, you get quality education that is free from the primary level up to the tertiary level and even up to the post-graduate level they also help you.
“You are really lucky that you have free education and I tell you, this is a great opportunity for you to focus more on your education and to continue it.”

The Pakistan-born teenager told students— who came from all levels: Primary, secondary, and tertiary — about other children throughout the world who would have given anything to have similar opportunities.

She added: “Children here, I am very happy that you give importance to your schools and you are getting quality education but it is important that you know about other countries as well. “There are 10.5 million children in Nigeria who are out of school. There are five to seven million children in Pakistan who are out of school. That’s about five or six times your whole population. “Because of child labour and child-trafficking in India and Pakistan and many other countries, children are facing many, many problems. “There are more than 57 million children who are out of school and who really need support. So what you have got, you should be thankful for it and you should focus on it,” Malala said.

Highlighting one of her projects in Jordan for Syrian children who are refugees from the civil war, she said: “They are amazing, amazing children who have so many dreams — some of them want to become doctors, engineers, teachers, journalists — but they have so many difficulties in their lives. “They don’t get schooled. They don’t get the right books. They don’t have the well-qualified teachers. They don’t have schools and shelters. There are so many difficulties that they are suffering through.” She said her organisation, the Malala Fund, was established to speak up for those underprivileged children and to provide opportunities for them. Saying she was just an ordinary girl, Malala said everybody had something special to offer to the world and school was the place to find it. “We are all special. I may not be good at singing but I will be good at painting. I may not be good as a doctor but I will be good as an engineer. When we go to school, we discover the skills and talents we have,” she said.

A student of Edgbaston High School for Girls in Birmingham, UK, Malala said she had already discovered her calling, politics. “I’m really interested in politics. I know some say it’s a kind of bad thing but politics is the way through which you can help your country. “When you become prime minister you can bring great changes in your law and constitution so I am hopeful that someone will vote for me,” she said with her typical light sense of humour.

Who is Malala?
“Who is Malala?” That was the question asked by a Taliban member before he shot Malala Yousafzai on a school bus on October 9, 2012. “I was a girl born in a family that was not very rich, economically, but was very rich morally and ethically. “I was born in this very nice family where my mother and father respected education and they believed that a girl should be allowed to go to school,” Malala said to an audience of schoolchildren at the National Academy for the Performing Arts, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.

In 2009, she began writing a blog for the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), under the pseudonym Gul Makai, to highlight the difficulties girls faced in getting an education in Pakistan.
Together with 20 of her friends, she formed the Malala Education Foundation which sought to promote education for girls in Pakistan. Her recognition made her a target for the Taliban, leading to that fateful moment in 2012. Dressed in a pink headscarf and traditional Pakistani clothes, Malala condemned the Taliban for their wrong interpretation of Islam.

She said: “In Islam it is said that it is the duty of every Muslim, man or woman, to get knowledge and to get educated. “The word Islam means peace. It gives the message of harmony, patience and tolerance but I think they (Taliban) were not reading the Qur’an or were not understanding the real meaning of the Qur’an. “In Islam, women are respected as equally as men and women have equal rights.” Malala, who was nominated twice for a Nobel Peace Prize, addressed the United Nations on July  12, 2013, her 16th birthday, when she said: “One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.” 

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A Pakistani activist who wants to meet Lara? NO surprise here. Lara is a household name in a Cricket loving country like Pakistan

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This young lady is a blessed child. I hope the youth in TT listen to just this "Children in T&T should be thankful for the educational opportunities and must take full advantage of them.  I also admired her Father and Mother who gave the courage to fight stupidity.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
She is very impressive. She has graced very influential forums and has captivated some people who are rarely moved. I eh want to put goat mout on her, but her longevity is not assured.

... to put it diplomatically.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Audio bad for first few minutes

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WY8DkFqYxmY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WY8DkFqYxmY</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good thread Socafighter... and I echo your thoughts in terms of her influence Asylum.

socafighter

Message from Malala
By Gillian Lucky
Story Created: Aug 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM ECT
Express

Malala Yousafzai is an inspiration for millions and although she has met world leaders, celebrities and other icons, she has not lost the common touch.

It is quite easy to compare Malala with Pakistan’s first and only female prime minister, the late Benazir Bhutto who possessed an unbridled determination to promote the principles of democracy in her homeland. When she became Prime Minister of Pakistan on December 2, 1988, she addressed the massive crowd with the words: “We gather together to celebrate freedom, to celebrate democracy, to celebrate the three most beautiful words in the English language- ‘We the People’.”

But whereas Bhutto came from a politically powerful family — her father Zulfikar Ali Bhutto being a former prime minister — Malala comes from humble beginnings and has been catapulted into the spotlight because of her refusal to succumb to the domination of those who reject equal rights for women, including the right to education.

That a young girl would stand up and speak out against the Taliban policy of preventing girls from receiving an education is admirable, especially in light of the several warnings her family received that their lives were under threat. 
But an indomitable spirit cannot be extinguished and a voice that speaks out for that which is right and just cannot be silenced.

According to Malala, “On the day I was shot, my weakness, fear and hopelessness—they died and strength, courage and power was born.  On that day I realised God was supporting me.  Death did not want to kill me.  Death knew that I was right.”

And the will of God proved its supremacy because the bullet that was meant to silence Malala forever actually led to heightened awareness of her mission to ensure that children around the world are not deprived of an education.

Malala wants the world to be filled with minds that can work together to enhance the quality of life for all citizens. Her crusade is for a just society that respects the fundamental principles of democracy. Malala is already a leader in her own right and in years to come, one can expect that she will hold high political office in her homeland, if that is the will of the Almighty.

Perhaps one of her most outstanding of qualities is that Malala leads by example.  Even before she was shot in 2012, Malala and her friends agreed to establish a foundation to speak up for those children who suffer from domestic abuse and forced marriages.  Malala used all available avenues, including a blog, to share the plight of all who suffered under the hands of the Taliban.
 As a girl, she experienced sexism and “…wanted to see myself as a woman; to have an identity; to be known; to be accepted with equal rights.”

Malala is a genuine individual who is not captivated by the limelight. She is surrounded by her loving family that undoubtedly provides the tremendous support required by one who is an international icon on a journey to make the world a better place. 
Malala’s fortune, if one can use that word, is that she was encouraged by her father Ziauddin from a very early age to advocate for the right of children to be educated. When the rest of the family retired to bed, Malala’s father, who is an educational activist, encouraged her to discuss politics and social issues.
 Instead of forcing his daughter to conform to the policies of the Taliban, Ziauddin said, “I did not clip her wings. I let her fly.”

Undoubtedly, Ziauddin recognised that his daughter could be a spark to get the light of positive change going. And going it has, because Malala has visited several countries and spread the message of education for all, especially girls. 
Malala has not forgotten where her journey began and the persons who prepared her for the bold steps she is making today, as she travels around the globe encouraging leaders to stop discrimination, acts of violence and unfair treatment to women. Her message is much more than the right to education for young people.  It is a message of hope, respect and love.
Young people in our country would do well to devote time to listen carefully to the most important message that Malala delivered when she visited recently — appreciate and make good use of free education.

I know someone who is involved in education and was lucky to meet young Malala just before she left our shores. The meeting lasted no more than ten minutes and during that time the senior educator was able to interact with the much younger activist.
 After the chance encounter, the older woman remarked how inspired, honoured and privileged she felt that Malala took the time to engage in a private meaningful audience with her.

Malala possesses the virtues of a leader who is on the path of achieving even more greatness — simplicity, humility and compassion.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Would have been surprised if the outcome was different ... Malala honored with the Nobel Peace Prize.  Her next destination is sure to be an elite institution.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/world/asia/nobel-peace-prize-awarded/?c=&page=1

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30411049

1]; } ?>