March 28, 2024, 05:43:01 AM

Author Topic: "Brooklyn" Nets  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
"Brooklyn" Nets
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »
As a Knicks fan and one-time Brooklyn resident, one who's first home in the US was within spitting distance from the new arena at 334 Dean St., everything about this move rankles me.  The Nyets, as I call dem (as in Russian fuh 'no', and as in "not yet"), come like de NBA version of Chelsea with they Russian money, and all ah sudden Prokhorov trying to buy pedigree fuh he team by latching onto de "Brooklyn" brand. 

In speaking to other Knicks fans and fellow Brooklynites, another thing that rubbing we wrong is de unmistakeable smell of gentrification behind the whole thing.  This is just an extension of the invasion of Brooklyn by the white people and them who rushing into Fort Green and Bed-Stuy and pushing out long time residents with the high rent that following in the wake.

But politics aside...

Start of a nice new rivalry which ah know the League loving... good game the other night too between the two, Round 1 to the Nyets.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "Brooklyn" Nets
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
So Bakes, you desert you borough! living with the bourgoise, now  ;D ;D. But you are right about the gentrification. The other day some pardners took me to a small SierraLeonese restaurant on Washington, not far from the Brooklyn museum. Bro, you swear you in Georgetown, DC. That Flatbush, Atlantic area gone. Maybe with your disposal income you may rethink and come back in the area. ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:15:52 PM by Deeks »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:51 AM »
Even many parts of crown heights.  Used to live in Harlem, still cut meh hair there, take a drive through there, same story on 125th
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
As a Knicks fan and one-time Brooklyn resident, one who's first home in the US was within spitting distance from the new arena at 334 Dean St., everything about this move rankles me.  The Nyets, as I call dem (as in Russian fuh 'no', and as in "not yet"), come like de NBA version of Chelsea with they Russian money, and all ah sudden Prokhorov trying to buy pedigree fuh he team by latching onto de "Brooklyn" brand. 

In speaking to other Knicks fans and fellow Brooklynites, another thing that rubbing we wrong is de unmistakeable smell of gentrification behind the whole thing.  This is just an extension of the invasion of Brooklyn by the white people and them who rushing into Fort Green and Bed-Stuy and pushing out long time residents with the high rent that following in the wake.

But politics aside...

Start of a nice new rivalry which ah know the League loving... good game the other night too between the two, Round 1 to the Nyets.

Bakes yes that area gentrifying but I have a whole squad living over there... and my last set of friends who all move over there are all caribbean and/or black. You could argue that they are economically successful though.

I was also lucky enough to be invited by Barclays to the Knicks Nets game and it did not disappoint at all at all... it was like a real derby with an even split and loud section of fans!

add in to the Nets beating the Celtics and beating up the Celtics  ;D last night... The "new" franchise off to a nice start.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
i support both, but im a knicks fan first and foremost, its good for new york

as for the gentrification, it was bound to happen, they have been trying to do it to harlem for a while now, so no surprises there

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
Deeks, oh gawd, lemmih win ah big case fuss before yuh accuse mih ah having disposable income nah... dem new ambulance these days come wid overdrive, ah chasing but cyah quite ketch up yet.  Fuh de hour I'z still ah member ah de 47% and have mih 'entitlement program' card tuh prove it.  ;D

FF yeah, is not all about race... is ah class thing.  De arena sitting on top de very spot whey JRG Fashion Cafe used to be... whey I used to attend some nice Sokalypso fete back in de day.  Half dem fellas who bawling "Broooook-lyynnn" (say nutten of Joe Johnson) cyah tell yuh Flatbush from Flatlands, but dey talking 'bout "We've arrived!".  Arrive whey... downtown?  Win something first nah.. lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
Pierce eat dis one from Johnson nice, nice...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/72L-BD2qY48&amp;sns=tw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/72L-BD2qY48&amp;sns=tw</a>

... you reach, I teach.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
Pierce eat dis one from Johnson nice, nice...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/72L-BD2qY48&amp;sns=tw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/72L-BD2qY48&amp;sns=tw</a>

... you reach, I teach.

oh gawd...pierce look he age dey lol

but all kicks aside...knicks for life!!!  wham to these interlopers boy???

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
but all kicks aside...knicks for life!!!  wham to these interlopers boy???

Ent!  :beermug:

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:34:33 AM »
Minority owner Jay-Z has begun the process of selling his stake in the team so that he can become an NBA agent, according to a Yahoo! report.
ESPN's Darren Rovell tweeted that Jay-Z's .067 percent (1/15th of a percent) stake in the Nets is worth approximately $350,000,

At first I thought this was a typo, but I didn't realize that he had such a samll stake in the team. All the "part owner" talk was just alot of hype....Come to think of it, his Maybach is worth more that his share of the team....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:33 AM »
Minority owner Jay-Z has begun the process of selling his stake in the team so that he can become an NBA agent, according to a Yahoo! report.
ESPN's Darren Rovell tweeted that Jay-Z's .067 percent (1/15th of a percent) stake in the Nets is worth approximately $350,000,

At first I thought this was a typo, but I didn't realize that he had such a samll stake in the team. All the "part owner" talk was just alot of hype....Come to think of it, his Maybach is worth more that his share of the team....

Yeah, I thought we had posted about it here... but it may have been on FB.  His "ownership" was nothing more than a publicity stunt really... to better get young Brooklynites on board with the whole "Brooklyn" Nets thing.  It so shallow and artificial that it really make yuh want to laugh.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
I also see that Victor Cruz and Robinson cano fired their agents for Jay-Z (maybe he has a company) to represent them. I really hope those guys know what they're doing because that too seem to me like a publicity stunt. Let's see if his boy LeBron does the same....I highly doubt it though

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
Been to like 6 games this year, good to have a team in the boro. Will try take in a playoff game also. I see most ppl support Knicks but I hated them since Trini...went to couple Nets games when they played in the swamp so it bessss now they just a dollar van away.also on sites like stubhub Nets tix go for about 1/2 the price of Knicks tix so good for the wallet. I've sat in nosebleed for every game I went, but the way the stadium is built the view is still good although ppl hate how steep the stairs are up there.
What disappoints me and was far from my expectation is the lack of a vibe at the games. I see on tv places like Oklahoma and Sacramento fans make real noise and create a great aura. My assumption was that Knicks games are expensive and the fans at their games stush, but Brooklyn would have that OKC sac vibes because like them it's the only team around and it's a lil more working class crowd. Guess that's where u guys gentrification stuff comes in a little.
Wow that's a lot of rambling...but while I want OKC for the title must go with the hometown team for the east.
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
Brooklyn have no vibe because they fans fake... just like the team.  Bunch ah just-come yuppies and gentrifiers bawlin "Brooklyn".  One thing yuh could never accuse the Garden of being is stush or lacking vibe.  Speaking from experience... and that is just regular season.  Can't imagine how bananas the playoffs will be, especially this being only the second time in a million years.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
http://www.nba.com/2013/news/06/27/celtics-trade-garnett-pierce-to-nets/index.html

Celtics rebuild, trade Garnett and Pierce to Nets

The Boston Celtics on Thursday completed the detonation of the team that won the 2008 NBA title, agreeing to send Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, along with guard Jason Terry, to the Brooklyn Nets for a collection of players and Draft picks, according to league sources.
Brooklyn will send forwards Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace, along with guard Keith Bogans, along with first-round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018, to Boston in exchange for the three veteran players. The Celtics made no secret of the fact that if Doc Rivers left, they would accelerate their rebuilding process, and try to deal their veteran core as soon as possible.

The deal could only be completed after Garnett agreed to waive his no-trade clause, which allowed him to veto any potential deal. He was likely to waive the no-trade clause if the NBA had allowed him to go, along with Pierce, to the Clippers along with Rivers. But the league said that the Clippers and Celtics could not combine a trade of Rivers along with players.
The Nets, who hired Jason Kidd as head coach earlier this month, are putting all their chips in for the next season or two. The 37-year-old Garnett and the 35-year-old Pierce will certainly start for Brooklyn next season, with the 35-year-old Terry likely to come off the bench as the team's sixth man. They will join holdovers Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and center Brook Lopez as the Nets try to win now for well-heeled but demanding owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who promised a Finals team within five years of taking over control of the franchise.
whey boy!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
Nets gave up 3 first round picks as well??? The most they could get from those 3 is 2 years max!!! Hope they didn't shoot themselves in the leg by giving up 3 future first round picks....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »
Nets gave up 3 first round picks as well??? The most they could get from those 3 is 2 years max!!! Hope they didn't shoot themselves in the leg by giving up 3 future first round picks....

That is the roll of the dice! If they win, the front office are heroes. If they lose, ..................

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
I also see that Victor Cruz and Robinson cano fired their agents for Jay-Z (maybe he has a company) to represent them. I really hope those guys know what they're doing because that too seem to me like a publicity stunt. Let's see if his boy LeBron does the same....I highly doubt it though

Lebron too smart for that........men have to watch dey contents though.....Man still laughing to this day about Ricky Williams rookie contract negotiated by Master P and co.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/10-bad-sports-contracts.htm
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »

1]; } ?>