March 28, 2024, 12:12:28 PM

Author Topic: Don't wait for a miracle.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Don't wait for a miracle.
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
Don't wait for a miracle
By Fazeer Mohammed (Express).

For a couple minutes, it seemed as if a miracle was about to unfold.

That was the length of time it took before I realised that the traffic backed up along the westbound lane of Wrightson Road past Licensing Division had nothing to do with eager football fans making their way by the thousands to the Hasely Crawford Stadium for Friday night's Toyota Classic final.

Indeed, the spectacle of the vast majority of vehicles veering left towards Movie Towne or points farther west just seemed so symbolic of the national disenchantment over the country's most popular sport.

Having said that though, it is worth pointing out that it has almost always been thus in this fly-by-night place where national players decade after decade have grown accustomed to hearing their own voices echoing around near-deserted venues in the early stages of World Cup qualifying campaigns only for the pretentious never-see-come-sees to turn up, complete with road maps to the Stadium, face paint, iPhones and Twitter accounts to snap themselves and show whoever cares to follow those things that they are "Trini to de bone!" when the elusive prize is within reach.

Read More

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Don't wait for a miracle.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Boy fazeer, if yuh want tuh decode that mystery then go on right ahead, i wish yuh luck. right now i have no answers as to what took place in T&T over the last 25 yrs that makes this place sooooooo different from the one i knew of not so long ago, ah place brimming with energy and and not just national pride, but all round pride.

maybe we have too much foreigners migrating to T&T who don't have any kind of love or affinity to the place.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »
Boy fazeer, if yuh want tuh decode that mystery then go on right ahead, i wish yuh luck. right now i have no answers as to what took place in T&T over the last 25 yrs that makes this place sooooooo different from the one i knew of not so long ago, ah place brimming with energy and and not just national pride, but all round pride.

maybe we have too much foreigners migrating to T&T who don't have any kind of love or affinity to the place.

de other way around. brain drain.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
Fazeer is so on point! He has been around for  at least 30 years as a Sportcaster and has a lot of institutional memory! We are making the same mistakes with  the same people  advising and same approach and expecting miracles! We just adhocing and hoping from competition to tournament and just sinking lower and lower! We are now becoming the laughing stock  of the Caribbean, 
Just recently the ministry of Sport asked f or feedback  from supporters and stakeholders on the way forward and I recall there were very reasonable and useful suggestions. Not the charade of consultations at Movietowne where people went to basically defend what they were doing !Maybe they should forward to TTFF . Thy could invite further suggestions and devise a proper long term plan for revising our football .
It is not funny  anymore ! Time for Action!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:54:22 AM »
Fazzer is one T&T Sports writer I enjoy reading and I enoyed the article. Yet while reading the piece I could not help but think that this sums up all that is wrong with T&T Football in terms of Communication, Organization and Basic Delivery of the product. Here we have what should be the biggest game in T&T Club football, being played at the same time as the Caribbean Cup. Fans follow a team, this is true, but most fans want to see the top players. Why should we expect the final to attract interest, when technically the better players will not be involved.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
Unfortunately, you need a top to bottom clear out. There are too many ingrained habits and perceptions and ol skool jobs for life people, much like the crusty old F.A. was in England in the 70's/80's.

First, everybody has to accept that Pro League is T&T's football finishing school and give it respect.
Assign stadiums to teams as recognised home grounds such as Hasely to St Anns & Cali, Larry to North East & Army, Manny to T&TEC & W.Conn, Ato to Central & Police. Actually work to make the  stadiums reflect the home teams. Pro League always get priority for games. Fixtures announced in Early August AND DO NOT CHANGE!! This is the closest we can get to the community.

Introduce a draft system for 18 year olds in school football to the Pro League. Maximum age for school football should be 17 at the beginning of August. Clubs and schools should be encouraged to work together with youngsters from age 14.

Introduce competitive primary school football.

GISL create a sports dept with proficient directors, live editors, cameramen and commentators trained by BBC. Multi camera coverage of Pro League, Super League. Overseas National games to be shown live.
Prime pages in all three daily papers subsidised by govt to provide coverage of National games, Pro League and Super League.

Tax relief process for sport investment prioritised and simplified to encourage corporate sponsorship.

Government subvention paid directly to Pro League. Clubs access funding by achieving defined criteria such as community projects, youth development etc.

Subsidised buses taking supporters from hubs to stadiums and back.

Just a few ideas!!

1]; } ?>