April 29, 2024, 11:39:52 AM

Author Topic: Antivirus genius John McAfee is 'person of interest' in murder  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Antivirus genius John McAfee is 'person of interest' in murder
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Antivirus genius John McAfee is 'person of interest' in murder
now.msn.com

John McAfee, the antivirus genius, is being sought in connection with a murder in his current home base of Belize. On Sunday, 52-year-old Gregory Faull, known to have been arguing with McAfee, was found at his Belize home, face-up in a pool of blood, by his housekeeper. Police are searching for McAfee, with one official now telling the AP McAfee's a "person of interest." The brilliant computer mastermind has been growing increasingly bizarre in recent years, according to reports, fighting over dogs, becoming estranged from other expats and associating with gangsters. The tech whiz has also been documenting his psychoactive drug quest for the perfect high ("indescribable hypersexuality," "smooth euphoria") by purifying the street drug known as bath salts, a mission he's attempted via rectal insertions.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Belize police looking for McAfee founder
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »
Belize police looking for McAfee founder
news.msn.com

Police in the Central American nation of Belize said Monday that they are looking for the founder of the software company McAfee Inc. to question him about the slaying of another U.S. citizen, his neighbor in an island town on the Caribbean.

John McAfee lived next door to 52-year-old Gregory Viant Faull, who was found with a gunshot wound to his head inside his two-story home north of San Pedro, a town on the island of Ambergris Caye, said Raphael Martinez, spokesman for Belize's Ministry of National Security. The housekeeper discovered the body Sunday morning and called police.

Martinez said that no charges had been filed in the case, describing McAfee, 67, only as a "person of interest" for police.

"It's too early in the investigation. To say he is a suspect would be a bold statement," Martinez told The Associated Press.

Police officers went to McAfee's home on the island but he had not been there, the spokesman said.

One resident of the island told the AP that Faull had complained about McAfee's behavior, and others said the former software executive was hard to befriend.

The case was the latest twist in McAfee's recent life as an eccentric yoga lover. He sold his stake in the anti-virus software company in the early 1990s and moved to Belize about three years ago to lower his taxes.

He told The New York Times in 2009 that he had lost all but $4 million of his $100 million fortune in the U.S. financial crisis and that he was moving to Belize.

Last April, Belize police raided McAfee's home looking for drugs and guns. McAfee said officers found guns, which he said were legal, and he was released without charge after being detained for a few hours.

Faull's killing shocked the island community. Residents said Faull was a longtime home owner there who had recently retired as a builder and moved from Florida to live full-time in the island.

"He was starting to enjoy his retirement," said a real estate agent.

The agent, who insisted on speaking anonymously out of fear of retaliation, said she had heard Faull complain about McAfee's numerous dogs barking outside his property.

Other residents said McAfee seemed standoffish and not friendly.

"His physical appearance doesn't really inspire you to go over and make friends with him. He's a little scruffy looking," said another real estate agent, Bob Hamilton.

Martinez said police had questioned other neighbors of Faull but had been unable to locate McAfee.

The AP tried unsuccessfully to contact McAfee by email. McAfee said in May that he was disconnecting his phone because he felt he was being harassed by police.

Police said Faull's computer and phone were missing, but there were no signs of forced entry at his home. Police reported finding a single 9-mm shell casing and said it appeared Faull was killed between late Saturday and Sunday morning, which was a rainy night on the Caribbean island. Faull was last seen at 10 p.m. Saturday.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Murder Suspect John McAfee: I’m Innocent
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »
Murder Suspect John McAfee: I’m Innocent
By Joshua Davis (wired.com)

As Belizean police combed the property of expat antivirus pioneer John McAfee Sunday afternoon, McAfee was closer than they could have known. He’d seen them coming, and says he hid — burying himself in the sand with a cardboard box over his head so he could breathe. “It was extraordinarily uncomfortable,” he says, in an exclusive interview with Wired. “But they will kill me if they find me.”

McAfee, 67, is the prime suspect in a murder discovered Sunday morning in Belize. Convinced that he’ll be killed if he’s taken into custody for questioning, the millionaire antivirus pioneer has gone into hiding somewhere in the Central American nation, where he moved in 2008 to retire. Starting at 10:30 this morning, Belize time, he has been calling to tell me his side of the story.

The homicide victim is McAfee’s neighbor, Gregory Faull, a 52-year-old American expatriate, who, like McAfee, lives on Ambergris Caye, an island off the coast of Belize. According to police, Faull was found face up in a pool of blood with a single gunshot wound to the back of his head. Authorities found a single Luger brand 9mm expended shell at the scene.

Asked what he knows about the shooting, McAfee said, “Nothing — other than I heard he had been shot.” In fact, McAfee added, he’s worried that whoever shot Faull may have actually been gunning for him. “I thought maybe they were coming for me. They mistook him for me. They got the wrong house,” he said. “He’s dead. They killed him. It spooked me out.”

If McAfee is involved, it may trace back to the half-dozen dogs McAfee keeps at his beachside compound. Faull, like other McAfee neighbors, had been complaining about the dogs and reportedly filed a formal complaint about them with the mayor of the nearby town of San Pedro last week. According to McAfee, the dogs were poisoned on Friday night.

McAfee blames the death of the dogs on the Belizean authorities, with whom he has been tangling for months. In April, the Gang Suppression Unit raided his property on the mainland and accused him of manufacturing methamphetamine and possessing unlicensed weapons. Those charges were dropped but McAfee believes that the government has a vendetta against him. He believes the death of his dogs was just another attempt to get him to leave the country.

“The coast guard dropped off a contingent of black-suited thugs at 10:30 tonight at the dock next door,” McAfee wrote me in an e-mail Friday night. “They dispersed on the beach. A half hour later all of my dogs had been poisoned. Mellow, Lucky, Dipsy, and Guerrero have already died.”

For months, I have been investigating McAfee’s claims against the government and the government’s charges against him. While I was interviewing him in Belize in August, one of his neighbors complained about the dogs. Anytime someone walked by on the beach, the animals would charge the fence and bark. In addition, McAfee employed a contingent of armed guards to protect the property. They walked the perimeter carrying shotguns. The neighbor was scared. The next morning, McAfee hired a carpenter to build another fence to keep the dogs away from the beach.

When I spoke to McAfee Saturday morning, I asked him if he thought a neighbor might have been involved in the demise of the dogs given that they had voiced complaints. McAfee dismissed the possibility. “They’re still dog lovers,” he said. “And I talked to them this morning. No one here would ever poison the dogs.”

He spoke specifically about Faull. “This is not something he would ever do,” McAfee said. “I mean, he’s an angry sort of guy but he would never hurt a dog.”

Faull, who moved to Belize from central Florida, has had at least one run-in with the police himself — in the U.S. In December 2009, the 5-foot-11, 220-pound Faull was arrested by the Seminole County Sheriff’s office and charged with aggravated battery.

Marco Vidal, the head of Belize’s Gang Suppression Unit, says that McAfee is a “prime suspect” in Faull’s death and rejects McAfee’s assertions that the GSU is framing him. “Absolutely no truth,” Vidal says. “This guy amazes me every day. We don’t have anything personal against Mr. McAfee. There is no need for us to poison dogs.”

The police spent several hours Sunday searching for evidence and confiscated a number of weapons. While I was interviewing him over the summer, I observed 9mm Luger ammunition sitting on his dining room table, but McAfee says both of his 9mm guns were confiscated by the police during the April raid.

McAfee is currently on the run from the police. “Under no circumstances am I going to willingly talk to the police in this country,” he told me this afternoon. “You can say I’m paranoid about it but they will kill me, there is no question. They’ve been trying to get me for months. They want to silence me. I am not well liked by the prime minister. I am just a thorn in everybody’s side.”

Nonetheless, McAfee insists he has no plans to leave the country. “I like it here,” he says. “It’s the nicest place on earth.”

The complete story of McAfee’s journey from high-profile tech entrepreneur to accused murderer will appear in Wired’s January issue.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Antivirus genius John McAfee is 'person of interest' in murder
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
dey need to do a scan of the island and quarantine him. But he afraid dey go delete him from the vault.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »
dey need to do a scan of the island and quarantine him. But he afraid dey go delete him from the vault.

u is ah real ass yuh know :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ;D ;D ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:01:11 AM »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
Update: In Blog Post, John McAfee Claims to Have Fled Belize After Elaborate Ruse Involving Body Double
By Sam Gustin (TIME.com)

In a posting on his website, John McAfee (or someone writing under his name) claims that the fugitive software pioneer has fled Belize and is now safely outside the country “in the company of two intrepid journalist(s) from Vice Magazine, and, of course, Sam.” (Sam is the young woman McAfee has been hiding out with.) McAfee claims to have dispatched a body double carrying a North Korean passport under his name, who was briefly detained in Mexico, before being released. “I left Belize because of a series of events which led both Sam and I to believe that she was in danger of capture,” McAfee writes. He also suggests, as he has in the past, that the entire episode is the result of his one-man crusade to battle corruption in Belize. I’ll update the story as more details become available.

Three weeks ago, police in the small Central American country of Belize discovered U.S. software mogul John McAfee’s neighbor, 52-year old American businessman Gregory Faull, lying dead in a pool of blood with a 9-mm. bullet wound to the head. Just days earlier, authorities had been summoned to McAfee’s beachfront home after the eccentric software millionaire shot four of his own dogs, in order, he claimed, to put them out of their misery after they had been poisoned by unknown assailants.

Belizean authorities insist they only want to question McAfee about the murder — he hasn’t been charged with a crime. But rather than submit to questioning, the 67-year-old McAfee freaked out and declared that he would be killed if taken into custody by Belizean authorities. That, apparently, is why McAfee has decided to lead Belizean authorities, not to mention the international press corps, on a rapidly escalating wild goose chase that keeps getting weirder by the day. Reached by phone, a spokesman for McAfee claimed not to know where his client was, but acknowledged that McAfee is on the run.

“We have no idea where he is,” the McAfee spokesman told TIME. “But it seemed very unsafe for him to remain in Belize.” Earlier an item on McAfee’s personal website said: “We have received an unconfirmed report that John McAfee has been captured at the border of Belize and Mexico.” Belizean officials denied that report, but said they do not know McAfee’s whereabouts. The country’s prime minister has publicly referred to McAfee as “bonkers.”

Earlier Saturday, CNN aired a cloak-and-dagger flavored interview with McAfee, who was questioned by veteran correspondent Martin Savidge, after an elaborate set-up involving secret passwords, multiple cellphone numbers, and different drivers. “I will certainly not turn myself in, and I will certainly not quit fighting,” McAfee told CNN. He added that fugitive-living had begun to take its toll on his previously lavish lifestyle. ”It hasn’t been a lot of fun,” he said. “I miss my prior life. Much of it has been deprivation. No baths, poor food.”

John McAfee is one of the more well-known figures to come out of Silicon Valley‘s software boom. He founded the anti-virus computer software firm that bears his name, and his net worth is estimated to have been $100 million at its peak. Nearly two decades ago McAfee left the company and hasn’t been involved since. In 2010, McAfee Inc. was acquired by chip giant Intel for $7.7 billion.

In 2008, McAfee moved to Belize, where he purchased several tracts of property, and soon launched a herbal drug venture. That’s when the trouble began. Instead of leading a quiet life of beach-front relaxation, McAfee reportedly embarked on a course of personal excess that allegedly involved a “retinue of prostitutes,” an exotic and highly dangerous designer drug known as MPVD (aka bath salts), and shotgun-toting enforcers. Science journalist Jeff Wise, who has travelled to see McAfee in Belize, said his most recent visit “really scared the hell out of me.”

“Around the time his herbal drug plan collapsed, he started to get really heavily into this kind of synthetic, hallucinogenic hyper-aphrodisiac,” Wise told FoxNews.com. “Everyone was scared of McAfee. He was walking around the beach carrying a gun.” Earlier this year, according to Wise, local authorities raided McAfee’s home, where the 67-year-old was found living with a 17-year-old Belizean girl, and discovered “seven pump-action shotguns, one single-action shotgun, two 9-mm. pistols, 270 shotgun cartridges, 30 9-mm. pistol rounds, and twenty .38 rounds.” After fourteen hours in custody, McAfee was released.

Wise also reported that McAfee allegedly liked to frequent drug-themed online message boards, where he discussed his affection for MPVD, and offered helpful pointers about how to consume the substance via rectal insertion. “I think it’s the finest drug ever conceived, not just for the indescribable hypersexuality, but also for the smooth euphoria and mild comedown,” McAfee is alleged to have written. Boasting of his expertise, McAfee allegedly added: “We’re in an arena (drugs/libido) that I navigate as well as anyone on the planet here.”

Meanwhile, according to The New York Times, McAfee embarked on a one-man crusade to “clean up” a small Belizean village named Carmelita, after being convinced by a local prostitute that the town was “riddled with crime and a hub of narco-trafficking.” McAfee reportedly “converted a local brothel into a bar and a family swimming-pool area, christening it Studio 54.” (Nothing unusual about that.)

Over the last few weeks since the murder of his neighbor, McAfee’s behavior has grown increasingly erratic, even by his own standards. He has called numerous journalists with rambling explanations of his conduct, including a now-infamous episode last Friday when he dropped the F-bomb live on CNBC (at 6:52 in this video). (A Wired magazine reporter described McAfee as “unhinged.”) Then, on Saturday morning, CNN aired its interview with McAfee, in which the network revealed the fugitive’s disguise.

No one has heard from McAfee since Friday night, and he did not return a request for comment left by TIME on his cell-phone voice-mail. According to his spokesman, McAfee has been on the run with another person, described as a young woman in her early twenties. It’s unclear if the pair have been separated, or even apprehended. McAfee’s camp could not confirm his whereabouts, but claimed to have been told that he had been taken into custody near the border with Mexico. Belizean officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but a local reporter in Belize told the San Jose Mercury News that McAfee was still on the lam as of Saturday night. “I can tell you positively that John McAfee has not been captured,” Jorge Aldana, a senior reporter at the San Pedro Sun, told the paper.

San Pedro Mayor Daniel Guerrero, who’s in charge of the beachside town some 160 miles from Belize City, also knocked down reports of McAfee’s capture: “It’s not true.” Guerrero said that local police have informed him that McAfee is still at large, and said that officers have been conducting what the paper described as “house-to-house searches on the north end of Ambergris Caye, the island where San Pedro sits.” Meanwhile, McAfee is nowhere to be found.

It’s not clear how this saga will play out, but many questions remain. Has McAfee been caught somewhere near the Belize/Mexico border, as his website suggested? Or is he hiding out somewhere in the jungle in Belize, or even Guatemala, and laughing at everyone? If he is still at large, is he travelling with another person? Are they carrying any weapons or large sums of hard currency? If they are running, how do they plan to escape the country: by air, sea, or land? Finally, just what — if anything — does McAfee know about the murder of his neighbor?

One thing we do know for sure: McAfee is an extremely smart — if wildly eccentric — person with a penchant for publicity and practical jokes. He has repeatedly insisted that he will not turn himself in to authorities, claiming he would be killed if he did so. But as each day goes by, and McAfee’s predicament gains worldwide notoriety, this situation is growing increasingly bizarre. It’s unlikely that he’ll be able to keep running forever.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:56:34 AM »
why is he doing all this silliness? is either he commit the crime or not. All this making me believe he is guilty
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
wdfThis bitch really movin like James Bond oui

Kill ah man....ok fine,allegedly..disguise he way troo ah central american jungle, pretend to be ah patient and end up sippin Mojitos on de beach
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
The man is South Beach Miami

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/13/justice/florida-john-mcafee/?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- American technology pioneer John McAfee said he faked a heart attack while detained in Guatemala to buy time for his attorney to file a series of appeals that ultimately prevented his deportation to Belize, hastening the government's decision to send him back to the United States.

After weeks on the run and days in immigration detention, McAfee arrived in Miami on Wednesday.
He said Belize authorities in April 2011 accused him of running a methamphetamine lab, before the November 11 killing of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull, and have since persecuted him.

McAfee fights to stay out of Belize
"I have absolutely nothing to do with the murder in Belize," he said Thursday. "This is not about a murder in Belize. This began on the 30th of April of last year when 42 armed soldiers stormed my property."
Mystery follows McAfee to Miami

For the past week, the 67-year-old antivirus software company founder has waged a public battle, requesting asylum in Guatemala and arguing that police in Belize were after him following his apparent decision to shed light on corruption in the country.
He also said the breach resulted in Belize soldiers shooting his dog. CNN cannot independently verify his account.
"He opted to return to his country of origin," said attorney Telesforo Guerra, who has represented McAfee since he arrived in Guatemala last week.

On Sunday, McAfee told reporters that he hoped to go back to the United States.

"Our intent is to return to America, if at all possible, and settle down to whatever normal life we can settle down to under the circumstances," he said. "There is no hope for my life if I am ever returned to Belize."

Authorities in Belize, where McAfee had lived since 2008, say they want to talk to him about Faull's death.
After weeks in hiding, McAfee emerged in Guatemala's capital last week to ask for asylum.

Guatemalan authorities took him into custody on accusations of entering the country illegally, and his asylum bid was rejected.

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/12/world/americas/guatemala-mcafee/index.html

Miami (CNN) -- After weeks on the run and days in immigration detention, American technology pioneer John McAfee arrived in Miami on Wednesday.

He said he had no choice in the matter, that Guatemalan authorities expelled him to the United States and put him on a plane to a destination they determined.

"I was whisked out of prison," McAfee told CNN affiliate broadcaster WSVN in front of his South Beach hotel. "I was forcibly separated from Samantha, and now here I am."

Samantha Venegas is McAfee's girlfriend.

When the plane landed, U.S. officials boarded the aircraft to greet him and escort him off.
Former girlfriend: McAfee 'frightened for his life'

McAfee fights to stay out of Belize McAfee lawyer: He will stay in Guatemala
It was unclear whether he planned to stay in Miami or where he might go next.

For the past week, McAfee waged a public battle, requesting an asylum in Guatemala and arguing that police in Belize were persecuting him. Authorities turned down his request and told him he would have to leave the country.

"He opted to return to his country of origin," said attorney Telesforo Guerra, who has represented McAfee since he arrived in Guatemala last week.

Authorities in Belize, where McAfee had lived since 2008, say they want to talk to McAfee about the November 11 killing of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull.

McAfee said he had nothing to do with the death and insists he left Belize to escape police persecution.
Guatemalan authorities took him into custody on accusations of entering the country illegally, and his asylum bid was rejected.
McAfee told WSVN he has openly criticized Belize's government for seven months, making himself a "thorn in their side."

"Unfortunately, now that I'm here, they can't shut me up," he said.

CNN en Español's Adriana Hauser reported from Miami. CNN's Joe Sutton and Ana maria Luengo-Romero reported from Atlanta. Journalist Miguel Salay reported from Guatemala City.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
He looking even more guilty
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:50:36 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/12/world/americas/guatemala-mcafee/index.html

Miami (CNN) -- After weeks on the run and days in immigration detention, American technology pioneer John McAfee arrived in Miami on Wednesday.

He said he had no choice in the matter, that Guatemalan authorities expelled him to the United States and put him on a plane to a destination they determined.

"I was whisked out of prison," McAfee told CNN affiliate broadcaster WSVN in front of his South Beach hotel. "I was forcibly separated from Samantha, and now here I am."

Samantha Venegas is McAfee's girlfriend.

When the plane landed, U.S. officials boarded the aircraft to greet him and escort him off.
Former girlfriend: McAfee 'frightened for his life'

McAfee fights to stay out of Belize McAfee lawyer: He will stay in Guatemala
It was unclear whether he planned to stay in Miami or where he might go next.

For the past week, McAfee waged a public battle, requesting an asylum in Guatemala and arguing that police in Belize were persecuting him. Authorities turned down his request and told him he would have to leave the country.

Authorities in Belize, where McAfee had lived since 2008, say they want to talk to McAfee about the November 11 killing of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull.

McAfee said he had nothing to do with the death and insists he left Belize to escape police persecution.
McAfee told WSVN he has openly criticized Belize's government for seven months, making himself a "thorn in their side."

"Unfortunately, now that I'm here, they can't shut me up," he said.

CNN en Español's Adriana Hauser reported from Miami. CNN's Joe Sutton and Ana maria Luengo-Romero reported from Atlanta. Journalist Miguel Salay reported from Guatemala City.

Yet when the US wants to send back Guatemalan nationals they sometimes refuse them. smh. (However, I doubt US authorities had no knowledge of his anticipated arrival in the US).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:52:29 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
... his Guatemalan attorney is the uncle of the young woman/girlfriend (Samantha Venegas) who was with him ...

1]; } ?>