March 29, 2024, 01:30:46 AM

Author Topic: 7 Basketball only schools to leave Big East  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
7 Basketball only schools to leave Big East
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
Big East Likely to Lose 7 Colleges That Want To Put Basketball First

By TIM ROHAN
After looking on as realignment diluted and marginalized the Big East Conference, the seven universities in the league that are not part of the Football Bowl Subdivision are expected to depart in the coming days and form a league revolving around basketball.

Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul are expected to exit, according to an ESPN report, pending the resolution of legal and semantic details, and barring any last-minute maneuvering by Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco. The complexity of the situation, with seven colleges leaving at one time, may delay an official decision or announcement.

“The judgment on the part of the seven schools, they probably feel they can generate more dollars per school as a basketball conference than to share the revenues they would be getting from a combined football-basketball deal” with the current Big East, said Neal Pilson, a television consultant and a former president of CBS Sports.

“The Big East isn’t the same conference it was 12 months ago,” he said. But, he added, “basketball economics don’t equal football.”

In the last 15 months, the longtime Big East members Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia announced they were leaving the conference for better football leagues — the Atlantic Coast Conference for Syracuse and Pittsburgh, the Big 12 for West Virginia — and the more lucrative TV contracts that come with them. Then Notre Dame announced it would take its basketball team to the A.C.C., and last month Louisville said it would soon follow. Rutgers is leaving for the Big Ten.

While the Big East, which started as a basketball conference, scrambled to maintain a certain number of members, those colleges that did not compete at the F.B.S. level in football were essentially left to watch as the conference became a very different version of itself, both from a historical and geographical perspective.

Next year, Houston, Southern Methodist, Central Florida and Memphis will join the conference for all sports, and Boise State and San Diego State will for football. To replace Louisville and Rutgers, the Big East added Tulane for all sports and East Carolina as a football-only member, beginning in 2014. Navy is joining as a football-only member in 2015.

Aresco, a former executive with ESPN and CBS, has tried selling the Big East as a conference with a national reach, with an equal emphasis on its elite basketball and improving football.

“I didn’t want to neglect basketball,” Aresco said in an interview this month. “So much of the realignment had been focused on football, I felt that when you had basketball, as good as the Big East has it, with the quality schools, the brands, that basketball has to be a significant part of the conversation.”

Instead, four months into his tenure, the seven so-called basketball colleges, all Catholic institutions, are moving toward an official consensus to control their future.

They could form a basketball conference with like-minded schools. ESPN quoted Notre Dame Coach Mike Brey as saying that the discussion among the seven colleges was to form a national conference of Catholic universities with Xavier, St. Louis, Dayton, Creighton, Gonzaga and possibly St. Mary’s.

The seven Big East basketball colleges met with Aresco on Sunday to discuss their concerns about the conference’s future, which is tied to the TV rights deal the league is shopping.

The value of a new deal was diminished by the string of departures, starting with Syracuse and Pittsburgh last year. A few months before that, the Big East turned down an offer from ESPN similar to the $155 million deal the A.C.C. had recently signed. The Big East would not attract that type of deal now.

Other details will need to be worked out before the seven colleges leave, including the fate of the Big East tournament, held each year at Madison Square Garden. Would the seven colleges, all Catholic institutions, retain the Big East name? What would become of the Big East’s remaining members?

Boise State could leave before it arrives in 2013. Whatever universities are left — primarily ones no other power conference wanted or needed — could trudge on without the basketball reputation that Aresco had expected to lean on.

This week Aresco has pushed to appease the seven colleges, but after adding too many universities with too little appeal, it may be too late.

Greg Bishop contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/sports/ncaabasketball/big-east-likely-to-lose-7-colleges-that-want-to-focus-on-basketball.html?ref=sports

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Basketball only schools to leave Big East
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
Bakes boy, congrats on the regular season championship season. Hoyas were convincing over the Orange. I have a feeling allyuh might lose Porter to the pros. All the media making this prediction.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
Bakes boy, congrats on the regular season championship season. Hoyas were convincing over the Orange. I have a feeling allyuh might lose Porter to the pros. All the media making this prediction.

Yeah I came into town for the game, man we take over Chinatown... we still liming, since this morning. Got to see some ah mih real bros from back in the day, including several past players.  I agree with you that we might lose Porter to the League.  But considering how this team playing right now, imagine if he comes back next season?  We lost our top scorer and second-leading rebounder to academic problems, plus we have a UCLA transfer who will be eligible next year.  Beast team shaping up.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 09:05:46 PM »
Funny, you in Dc, I in Brooklyn by meh family. But I caught most of the game on ESPN. Yes, it was total bulldogs in the Verizon center. I could imagine Chinatown. That place has transformed that area of DC into one of the liviest spot in the metro area. Good luck in the March Madness journey.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
Funny, you in Dc, I in Brooklyn by meh family. But I caught most of the game on ESPN. Yes, it was total bulldogs in the Verizon center. I could imagine Chinatown. That place has transformed that area of DC into one of the liviest spot in the metro area. Good luck in the March Madness journey.

Enjoy de lime up in Brooklyn :beermug:

1]; } ?>