April 29, 2024, 05:52:23 AM

Author Topic: World Cup Memory Lane Thread  (Read 4427 times)

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
World Cup Memory Lane Thread
« on: February 11, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
World Cup memory lane with Nakhid, Hart and Leonson.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

What does the FIFA World Cup mean to you?

Wired868 asked some of our more illustrious football readers to share their memories of the greatest single sporting event on the planet. And we would like you to do the same.

There are three basic questions and, each week, we will take one answer from a different interviewee. So let’s kick off:

What is your favourite World Cup memory?

Former Trinidad and Tobago midfield visionary and Europe-based professional David Nakhid always had a touch of the revolutionary in him. He opens our Wired868 column in the style of his favourite team: shuffle, pass, shuffle, pass, feint, reverse pass… Goal!

David Nakhid:

There are many moments of individual and collective brilliance that we have all witnessed at the various World Cups: from the ground-breaking Brazil ‘70 team with their array of exceptional players, Johan Cruyff’s dominance in the ‘74 edition, Mario Kempes and Teófilo Cubillas in ‘78, the aesthetics of an outer-worldly Brazil in ‘82 and Paolo Rossi, Diego Maradona, Maradona, Maradona in ‘86, a ‘90 best forgotten, the synergy of Romario and Bebeto in ‘94, Ronaldo’s inexplicable meltdown in ‘98, Ronaldo as the finished product in 2002, Zinedine Zidane’s not so inexplicable meltdown in 2006, culminating in Spain’s collective and unparalleled mastery of the football in the World Cup’s last edition.

Forgive me then if my favourite World Cup memory seems somewhat abstract or downright strange. Invariably, it was the 1982 World Cup and a game between Brazil and Argentina.

Brazil was as free-flowing as ever, the team’s almost surreal brilliance chipping away at my previous notions of how this game should be played. In 1986, I would sit in the living room of my coach at US semi-pro team Virginia Spartans, John Kerr Sr, before every and watch play after beautiful play from Brazil’s 1982 team.

One play caught our eyes and we could not quite explain it… even now!

Oscar, considered the least of the disciples in footballing terms on that team, had just played the ball into the elegant Socrates as they came out of defence. Socrates uncharacteristically slipped on the ball and fell and it bounced back, luckily, to Oscar.

Oscar had time to play the ball almost anywhere else; instead, he touched the ball once and played it straight back to Socrates while he was still on the ground.

It was defiant, imperial, confident; a signal to all that we can play this way because we dare to!

It is my favourite World Cup memory!

Which is your all-time favourite World Cup team and why?

Trinidad and Tobago national head coach Stephen Hart showed his tactical flexibility by somehow managing to squeeze two teams in there. Like Nakhid, he cooed about the Brazil of yesteryear.

Stephen Hart:

The Brazil 1970 team hands down: One of the most balanced teams, playing beautiful fluent football with a variety of goal scorers.

I also like the Brazil 1982 squad for its daring to play attacking football with flair, in an era where negative football was creeping into the game. It was the team that dared to play. This was a return to what we may call “Samba Football”: a team of adventure, creativity and individualism. A true team nonetheless, one that put passes and movement together in breath taking simplicity.

The 1982 team lacked two crucial pieces that the 1970 squad had: a genuine striker and a quality goalkeeper. Waldir Peres had a very poor tournament in goal and Serginho was stage-struck. They were highly criticized for their failure to lock down the Italy game, where all they needed was a tie.

Yet, the 1982 World Cup is remembered for this Brazil team more than the Italians that won it; although, strangely enough, this was one of the more adventurous Italian teams in World Cup history.

Pick your favourite XI World Cup players of all time in a 4-4-2 formation and explain your choices.

Former “Strike Squad” star and Portugal-based striker Leonson Lewis’ first choice central defensive pairing never played in a World Cup. It was the former Trintoc pair of Stuart Charles-Fevrier and Garnett Craig:

“I had to play against Stuart Charles and Garnett Craig as a young player and those are the best two stoppers I ever played against at a local level. Stuart was short and fast and Craig was tall and fast. They were world class and could match with anyone.”

Once we got that out of the way, Lewis selected a Fantasy XI that was big on dribblers but did not care much for midfield hard-men.

Leonson Lewis:

Sepp Maier (Goalkeeper/ Germany)

My first position was as a goalkeeper at under-12 level for Searchers FC in Mon Repos. I was fascinated with the diving around and Sepp was my idol.

My dad (Lloyd “Jeff” Lewis) told me he didn’t want to be a keeper because it was too dangerous and he said he would support me if I played in any other position. So I decided to play outside and score some goals instead.

Josimar (Right back/ Brazil)

He used to do what Dani Alves does now; he was a great attacking player. I will always remember that goal he scored from a really ridiculous angle in one World Cup. He wasn’t even supposed to start, someone got injured and they put him on.

Roberto Carlos (Left back/ Brazil)

Like Josimar, he was great going forward. I loved his strength and his ability to shoot the ball and his energy levels.

Gerard Piqué (Defender/ Spain)

I always liked the stoppers who can play. He can defend well and pass the ball. I like any player who can really pass the ball.

Franz Beckenbauer (Defender/ Germany)

I loved his class, his ability to pass the ball and his reading the game and simple but effective style.

Zinedine Zidane (Midfield/ France)

Zidane is just an amazing player. He is total class; his touches, his passing, his ability to see all around. He is my favourite midfielder.

Ronaldinho (Midfield/ Brazil):

I love his natural flair and creativity. I think he is right up there alongside Zidane.

Denilson (Left wing/ Brazil)

I love his speed and dribbling ability. I really find him to be a joy to watch.

Garrincha (Right wing/ Brazil)

When I watched football from that time, he caught my eye more than Pelé. Pelé was the young one who was getting the goals but Garrincha was the master of that team. He was incredible and most of Pelé’s goals were from Garrincha passes.

Diego Maradona (Forward/ Argentina)

He is the best player that the world has ever seen. He was fast, he could dribble, he could score goals, he could set up goals, you couldn’t get the ball from him and whenever he had the ball you knew something would happen. He was like a workhorse too; he was always looking for the ball.

Pelé and his generation played at a walking pace. I always preferred Maradona as a more modern player in a faster-paced, energetic game. For me, Maradona will always be the best.

The most incredible thing I have ever seen is when he ran from halfline against England and beat six players to score. It is the best individual goal I ever saw and he did it at World Cup level too.

Nothing compares to him.

He was so prolific. He hardly missed. He could score from anywhere and using any part of his body. I loved his bicycle kicks the most.

I remember going out as a young boy and doing it over and over and over so that I could do it as well as him. Even when it was not necessary, I would use the bicycle kick to make a pass in a game. I made it a trademark because of Pelé and how well he did it.

World Cup Quote of the Day:

What better way to round off a trip down World Cup’s memory lane with a word from the men that made it so special?

Today, we feature two seemingly contrasting quotes from two men who played in two of the most brilliant teams that never lifted the World Cup crown: Socrates from Brazil 1982 and 1986 and Johnny Rep from Holland 1974 and 1978.

Socrates:

To win is not the most important thing. Football is an art and should be showing creativity. If Vincent van Gogh and Edgar Degas had known when they were doing their work the level of recognition they were going to have, they would not have done them the same.

You have to enjoy doing the art and not think, ‘will I win?’

Johnny Rep:

Anyone who says the only important thing is to play beautiful football, well, they are crazy… Yes, we liked to play too, but our character to win was 200 percent. With so many great players in one team you make art; you don’t mean to, but you do.

It’s different now—good players like Bergkamp and Kluivert lack the hardness to win.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:00:38 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup memory lane with David Nakhid, Stephen Hart and Leonson Lewis
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:09 PM »
Tim Vickery is working on a documentary on the 1982 Brazilians. He's interviewed about 4 of the squad so far ... Spoke to Eder last week. He says to a man they remain haunted by 1982 like it was yesterday. Should make interesting viewing.

Re: the 1998 inexplicable meltdown

Vickery made comments to the effect that Ronaldo Fenomeno was sleepwalking.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup memory lane with David Nakhid, Stephen Hart and Leonson Lewis
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
Tim Vickery is one of the best in the business. That should be a really good documentary.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
World Cup Memory Lane with Shaka, Fazeer and Kelvin
By Wired868

Wired868 asked some of our more illustrious football readers to share their memories of the greatest single sporting event on the planet. And we would like you to do the same.
There are three basic questions and, each week, we will take one answer from a different interviewee. So let’s kick off week two:

My favourite World Cup memory

World Cup 2006 stand-out and former England Premier League goalkeeper Shaka Hislop is renowned as a cool customer. But Hislop admitted that he can get quite worked up when the World Cup is in the air.

Shaka Hislop:

My favourite World Cup memory is an easy one. I’ve answered this question countless times, yet I never tire of telling it and it still raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It was hearing the Trinidad and Tobago National Anthem play in Dortmund on 10 June 2006.
I was a student at Howard University in 1989 when we fell at the final hurdle on November 19 and failed to qualify for Italia 1990. I shed tears that day. I honestly thought that I’d never see the day that T&T qualified for a World Cup.
I almost cried again on November 16th 2005, in Bahrain, when we did qualify. Almost! (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!  )
Everyone knows that I wasn’t actually carded to start our first game against Sweden. The late call up, and the occasion had me more focused than I think I ever had been. Still, hearing our National Anthem play for all the world to hear, was surreal.
The way I see it is that I was a fan long before, and will be long after, I was a player. Being there, at football’s highest stage, meant more to me than whatever was about to follow against Sweden.

Which is your all-time favourite World Cup team and why?   

Fazeer Mohammed is one of West Indies cricket’s most esteemed commentators and columnists while he also hosts the Morning Edition on TV6 where he has put everyone from politicians to environmentalists and educators beneath the microscope.
But he is also a life-long football and Liverpool supporter and was willing to be interrogated by Wired868.

Fazeer Mohammed:

The 1982 French squad: style, flair, passion and unpredictability. Like the Brazilians of that year, this was a side that played football as it should be played, even if it meant squandering a 3-1 lead in extra-time against West Germany in the semi-finals.
The midfield of Michel Platini, Alain Giresse, Jean Tigana and Bernard Genghini must surely rank as one of the greatest of all time. Every game they played was a delight to watch, because it was all about playing delightful, attacking football from beginning to end.

The 1982 French squad: style, flair, passion and unpredictability. Like the Brazilians of that year, this was a side that played football as it should be played, even if it meant squandering a 3-1 lead in extra-time against West Germany in the semi-finals.

The midfield of Michel Platini, Alain Giresse, Jean Tigana and Bernard Genghini must surely rank as one of the greatest of all time. Every game they played was a delight to watch, because it was all about playing delightful, attacking football from beginning to end.

What made it all the more tantalising to see them in action was that the back four of Marius Tresor (the captain), Maxime Bossis, Patrick Battiston and Manuel Amoros seemed to have as much of a challenge protecting their shaky goalkeeper Jean-Luc Ettori as feeding that magnificent midfield before service was provided to their strikers Didier Six and Dominique Rocheteau.

And yes, that last line was merely to show off that I can reel off the entire starting line-up 32 years later without having to resort to Google or any World Cup publication!

My favourite XI World Cup players of all-time in a 4-4-2 formation

Kelvin Jack was Trinidad and Tobago’s first choice goalkeeper in its 2006 World Cup campaign although injury meant he only played in the final group match against Paraguay in Germany.

Jack has played professionally in Scotland and England and his no-nonsense approach is well known by former teammates.

So what World Cup players impressed him most? He opted to ignore second-hand opinions and go with players he saw in action a lot.

Kelvin Jack XI:

Rinat Dassaev (Goalkeeper/ USSR)

To me he is one of the best of all time. I first saw him at the 1982 World cup in what was my first memory of the tournament. He could dominate his penalty area, was a superb shot stopper, his distribution was outstanding and he barked instructions to his defenders.

He had a terrific presence and was captain of USSR at the 1986 tournament. He never won a major tournament but was instrumental in leading the USSR to the 1988 European Championship Final against Holland. Top class keeper.

Julio Cesar (Centre back/ Brazil)

An intimidating presence and a mountain of a man who had a fantastic tournament in 1986. He could tackle, he could head it, his reading of the game was exemplary and he was a leader. He also had a fearsome shot. He enjoyed a wonderful club career as well at Borussia Dortmund.

Franco Baresi (Centre back/ Italy)

He was just class, pure class. You could just tell he commanded a huge amount of respect. He always looked in control and was a master at reading the game. He had a wonderful career at AC Milan and deserved to be a World Cup champion. A true great of the game.

Cafu (Right back/ Brazil)

This is a player who epitomised discipline and desire and was technically and tactically outstanding. Although his attacking talents are legendary, his defending was also very, very good.

He also never seem to get tired. He surely must be the greatest right back to have played the game; a World Cup champion, World Cup captain and with over 100 caps for Brazil.

Andreas Brehme (Left Back/ Germany)

This was a toss-up between the remarkable Roberto Carlos and the German great Andreas Brehme. I’ve gone for Mr Brehme because he was a slightly better defender.

He could attack and he had the renown German discipline and tenacity. He took penalties as well and his two-footedness was a sight to behold; almost technically and tactically perfect.

He scored the winning penalty against Diego Maradona’s Argentina in 1990. An exceptional defender.

Zinedine Zidane (Centre midfield/ France)

He demonstrated his supreme talent in helping France win the World Cup in 1998. His touch and vision was almost too good to be true; he willed France to their World title.

A strong character who summoned something extra to get France to the final in 2006 and one of the greatest players to play the game.

Lothar Matthäus (Centre midfield/ Germany)

This man could play midfield on his own; he dominated games. Matthäus played in two World cup finals and won one. He was an inspirational captain for Germany and his passing range and feel for the game was very good. He had a terrific shot with either foot; the perfect partner for Zidane.

Diego Maradona (Left midfield/ Argentina)

I know I put him in left midfield and he won’t stay there; but he need not worry because Mr Brehme will defend for him!

He is the only man to win the World Cup on his own in 1986. His performances were imperious and he is without question the closest player to Pelé.

He had the greatest presence to step on a football pitch and an amazing talent that could not be contained. He was mentally strong and a true giant of the game. Peerless. (Click here for rarely seen footage of Maradona’s most famous goal).

Garrincha (Right midfield/ Brazil)

This is a player I’ve seen videos of. He was the master of the dribble and could make any defender look useless.

If he played in today’s game, he would be unstoppable with the amount of protection that players get now. One of the greatest players who ever stepped on a football pitch in my opinion.

Pelé (Striker/ Brazil)

A three-time World Cup champion and the greatest player to walk this planet. Over a 1000 goals? That statistic is almost science fiction.

He won the World Cup at 17 in 1958. He was not the tallest but he had a great leap, he could shoot with either foot, was fast, could dribble, take free kicks and was a team man. He was the perfect striker.

Ronaldo (Striker/ Brazil)

This wonderful Brazilian cannot be overlooked. His 15 World cup goals are the most in history and he defied injury to become world champion.

An immensely talented player and three-time World Player of the Year who would have been close to Pelé without injury.

World Cup Quote of the Day

Jorge Valdano, a 1986 World Cup winner, an ex-Real Madrid forward and coach and an esteemed football commentator, reflects on his legendary compatriot and former teammate Diego Maradona.

Jorge Valdano:

Diego Maradona was a technical leader: a guy who resolved all difficulties that may come up on the pitch.

Firstly, he was in charge of making the miracles happen, that’s something that gives team-mates a lot of confidence.

Secondly, the scope of his celebrity was such that he absorbed all the pressures on behalf of his team-mates.

What I mean is: one slept soundly the night before a game not just because you knew you were playing next to Diego and Diego did things no other player in the world could do, but also because unconsciously we knew that if it was the case that we lost then Maradona would shoulder more of the burden, would be blamed more, than the rest of us.

That was the kind of influence he exercised on the team – I would say it’s more technical than social…

Through his volcanic personality, with that look of a poor man with money, with the language of an unpolished revolutionary, with that energy that seemed indestructible…

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:59:56 AM by Flex »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »
World Cup memory lane with Skeene, Nakhid and Sherwood
By Wired868

There are three basic questions and, each week, we will take one answer from a different interviewee. So let’s kick off week two:

TT Pro League CEO and former “Strike Squad” forward Dexter Skeene was known for his uncanny ability to find space within the opposing defence.

Today, he finds room to strike a decisive blow against millions of romantics as he savours an unforgettable moment in football history from the side of the supposed villains of the piece:
(My favourite World Cup memory)

1982 was the year. I still smile every time I remember it, as Italy squeezed an unexpected result over the mighty Brazil in the quarterfinals of the World Cup.

It was the most memorable moment in world cup history for me because I was the only one in my house supporting Italy. My father, my older brother and I sat with eyes glued to the television to watch that game with both of them telling me I was backing the wrong team.   

I did not mind their opposition because I had other thoughts. As far as I was concerned, I was an Italian, not by birth, but more so because I loved the way Paolo Rossi played and specifically his well-timed, exquisite runs off the ball and how he manoeuvred away from defenders to find space and punish the opposition by scoring goals with clinical accuracy and regularity.

I recall when he scored the third goal how I was jumping for joy and laughing as my father and brother watched one another in amazement at the turn of events in that game. Brazil had scored to equalize moments earlier to make it 2-2 and they were then making fun of me because all Brazil needed was a draw so they thought Brazil had done enough at that time to seal the spot in the semis.

Throughout that game because of the sequence of how the goals were scored there were contrasting emotions in the house. Every time Brazil scored. my father and brother felt elated and every time Italy scored I was ecstatic.

Little did they know that round the corner the irrepressible Paolo Rossi had other ideas. To put the icing on the cake, he was on spot to deflect a corner home inside the six yard box, his third of the game and a well-deserved hattrick, to turn the game on its head and send Italy forward in to the next round.

You can imagine my posture and boasting as I felt like I was king for a day. It was even sweeter as Italy went on to win the world cup.

They told me Italy was lucky but I told them that the master had prevailed.

My favourite World Cup team

Former Trinidad and Tobago football captain David Nakhid was Skeene’s teammate at St Mary’s College during the 1982 World Cup.

And it is clear that the CIC midfield schemer was not on the same page with his striker with regards to the unforgettable game in Spain:

My favourite World Cup team was the most avant-garde National team in the history of the beautiful game. Whereas Johan Cruyff was the embodiment of total football for the Dutch in ’74—indeed every aspect of their play was centralized on his tactical and technical brilliance—the Brazil ‘82 team had creativity gushing from every player in every position.

Not only did full backs Leandro and Junior venture forward to devastating effect, Luisinho, the Trinbago-looking central defender, made transitioning from defence to attack look as pleasing to the eye as Socrates outrageous flicks, dummies and back-heels.

Falcao provided the balance with exquisite elegance and Cerezo (whom I had the pleasure of playing against in the European Cup) did the running with intelligence and some degree of steel.

Zico was the creative fulcrum and provided moments of undoubted genius, Eder did the extraordinary when needed, especially from dead-ball situations, and, lastly, the much-criticised Serginho who, despite not possessing the talents of his colleagues and being somewhat profligate, was the perfect foil for this very offensive midfield as he often dropped into midfield and left the space for Zico, Falcao, Socrates and even Junior to make use of.

They tore teams apart with the most expansive football I have seen on the world stage.

My favourite all-time World Cup XI

Former Trinidad and Tobago national youth team stand-out Anthony Sherwood does the duty of selecting this week’s all star team. Sherwood had the playmaking duties when the two island republic made its FIFA debut at the 1991 World Youth Cup in Portugal.

And there a few exotic picks in his squad:

Gordon Banks (Goalkeeper/ England)

One of the greatest goalkeepers in history and a World Cup winner in 1966.

I believe that he revolutionized the way the right back position is played today. I am quite certain that there were others, but he is the first that I can remember who got forward that much as a right back.

Gerard Piqué (Defender/ Spain)

I strongly believe that he one of the keys to Spain’s current success in world football. He is a very simple player who is extremely good defensively but is also a playmaker from the back.

The epitome of what a captain is all about. He was a great leader but also an amazing footballer; he had all the qualities of a highly skilled player but also the tenacity of a warrior. Roberto Carlos (Left back/ Brazil)

Again, another defender who possessed all of the characteristics of an attacking left winger. He scored amazing free kicks and, along with Cafu, he is one if those players that set the standard for how outside backs play today.

Dr. Socrates (Midfielder/ Brazil)

He was amazingly calm and collected; an excellent leader and an example of what a footballer should be. He appeared to be a player that instilled confidence in his teammates.

Jairzinho (Winger/ Brazil)

I’ve heard many speak of the greatness of this player and I have seen many videos of him.  He was a great Brazilian winger and a key member of the magical World Cup winning team in 1970.

Garrincha (Winger/ Brazil)

He was a great dribbler. I recall seeing a documentary on this player and it was amazing how good he was. I always remember my father talking about the amazing skill that he possessed.

Diego Maradona (Attacking midfield/ Argentina)

There is not much more that can be said about the greatest ever. His performance in the 1986 World Cup is something that I will never forget.

Pelé (Forward/ Brazil)

No explanation needed. It goes without saying that he was simply amazing. The only man to win three World Cups! (Click here for amazing footage of Pelé at work).

Mario Kempes (Forward/ Argentina)

I remember playing against Argentina in the River Plate stadium (at national under-20 level) and thinking about how Kempes won that tournament in for Argentina in that said stadium. It was a very nostalgic moment!

He was top scorer and the World Cup winning hero for Argentina in 1978 and his flair on the ball was inspiring.

World Cup Quote of the Day

Today, we listen to two former World Cup stars.

Holland 1974 World Cup icon and playmaker Johan Cruyff discusses the philosophy that led to his coaching success at Barcelona; and England 1986 and 1990 star poacher Gary Linker explains why he thinks great goal scorers make poor coaches.

Johan Cruyff:

Dominate the ball—move it around quickly with good technique and get to a position where you can attack as quickly as possible and never ask players to do what they can’t do. I’ve played with players all my life with less quality than I have. Don’t ask them to do in a game what they don’t have the technique to carry off.

The problem for most coaches is preventing even good players from doing things in a game they don’t do well. Football is essentially a game of mistakes—if you do seven things well in every 10, you’ll be a great player, if that drops to five you’ll have a losing side on your hands.

Gary Lineker:

I don’t think many strikers get good coaching because many managers don’t understand it, having not been great strikers themselves. There have been forwards—Kenny Dalglish, Mark Hughes—but how many out-and-out goalscorers? Maybe it is because we are individuals within a team sport.

Strikers don’t make great managers—discuss. We’re a selfish bunch by nature and maybe that’s the problem. To be bluntly honest, I would be reasonably happy if we lost a game 3-1 if I’d scored. That’s quite an admission. I had a chat with Alan Shearer and he said much the same.

It’s very selfish but goals are how everyone judges you. They’re what your career adds up to. And particularly goals in meaningful games, which is why, during pre-season, I’d tell the centre halves: “Don’t kick me and I’ll make you look good.”

It’s probably not the thought process of a budding manager.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:58:19 AM by Flex »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Facing Diego Maradona: W/Cup memories with Fenwick, Leonson and Hart
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:47:01 AM »
World Cup memory lane with Fenwick, Leonson and Hart
By Wired868

There are three basic questions and, each week, we will take one answer from a different interviewee. So let’s kick off week four:

My favourite World Cup moment

Central FC coach and ex-England World Cup defender Terry Fenwick is the product of a coal mining town in Sunderland; as tough as nails and not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Today, he shares a tale of when he met a pint-sized Argentine football who lacked none of his courage and was technically better than anything he had ever seen:

I won’t call it my favourite World Cup moment but this one is certainly my most vivid memory. It was about 45 minutes before kick off against Argentina in the World Cup quarterfinal and Bobby Robson came to give me a briefing about facing Diego Maradona.

He said: Not to worry about him Terry; he is only a small lad and he has only got one foot!

I can laugh about it now but it was years before I could see the funny side after being held responsible for the greatest goal of all time.

I had never played against Maradona before (that day) and I don’t think anyone in the team had. England was on a six-year ban from European football at that point. We all recognised he was a great player and I was expecting a man to man job to mark him because that is what I was good at. But it didn’t happen like that at all.

Bobby never brought him up in team meetings and we went out with the usual 4-4-2 system. Forty-five minutes before kick off, Bobby told me that he was small and only had one foot and that was it.
(Maradona) was very small but he was as wide as he was tall. He was a strong bastard. What I was in awe of is he wanted the ball all the time. It didn’t matter how tight or crowded the area was or where on the pitch the ball was or how physical we were or the occasion or any of that; he wanted the ball every time and he was fearless and so full of confidence.

I had never come up against someone like that in my life. He was on a different planet to us and I think he was the difference between the two teams. I thought we actually had a better eleven than Argentina. But they had him.

Those two goals were unbelievable for different reasons.

For the “Hand of god”, I think everyone was in shock as to how could that happen in a World Cup game. I remember watching the referee looking at the linesman who was looking back at him and both seemed to be waiting on the other to make the decision. (Peter) Shilton was shocked. I ran past all my teammates chasing after the referee and demonstrating that it was a hand ball but I was the only one.

We were literally still in shock when the second goal happened five minutes later. Although it was a great goal, I think we were still recovering from the “Hand of god” goal. Samson was out of position, ‘Butch’ was running all over the place and we were stretched.

I could have taken him down but I was already on a yellow card and I felt, if I had, that would have been a red and we would have had no chance to come back into the game (with ten players). And remember we did get a goal back after that and had two good chances to score an equaliser.

I felt we could have gone on to win the World Cup if we had only gotten past (Maradona).

My favourite World Cup team

Former “Strike Squad” and Boavista (Portugal) striker Leonson Lewis was one of the standouts in a golden era for Trinidad and Tobago football with his pace and clever finishing ability.

And he attributed much of his enthusiasm for the game to an extraordinary Brazil team:

My favourite team of all time is the Brazil (1982) team of Eder, Falcao, Socrates, Zico, Junior and Paolo Isidoro. I really enjoyed the individual skills of that team and the special understanding that they had of each other.

I was on the national youth team at the time and the players would ask me to commentate on the games because I knew all the players’ names.

At the time, I was playing with guys like Russell Sutton, Hutson Charles, Andrew Ali, Sean Walkes, Dexter Sandy, Quinton Thomas, Jerry Moe and Sean Legendre… We would come to training and try to do the backheel pass like Socrates and so on and it was such a happy time for me.

Even the commentary of games with that Brazil team inspired us.

‘We can play and we can all finish; the positions really don’t matter…’

I was a real Brazilian football fan at the time along with my dad. But then Maradona came along and the arguments started…

My favourite all-time World Cup XI

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Stephen Hart did not much appreciate Wired868 pigeon-holing him into a 4-4-2 formation.

But he was happy to share his thoughts on the top players of all time. And we graciously allowed him a tactical tweak as he set up his squad in a diamond midfield shape.

Don’t tell Lewis; but there were no Brazilians in Hart’s engine room:

Gordon Banks (Goalkeeper/ England)

He was so intimidating with his spectacular saves that strikers were afraid to shoot. If you managed to get past that defence, then there was Banks.

The man with two hearts. He could run all day and deliver great crosses from the right. He forced opposing attackers to play defensively, thus nullifying their effectiveness completely.

No explanation needed. After all, he was “Der Kaizer.”

Gaetano Scirea (Defender/ Italy)

He had an exceptional ability to read the game and organize a defense. He was comfortable on the ball too and could be mean when needed.

Andreas Brehme (Left back/ Germany)

He was a solid defender who would come forward into the attack at the right moment. He was completely two footed, one of the best crossers of the ball ever and he scored goals.

Lothar Matthaus(Midfield anchor/ Germany)

He was a ball winner who could pass short and long, penetrate from deep and shoot from distance.

Zinedine Zidane (Midfielder/ France)

‘Zizou’ was simply one of the most balanced midfielders to play the game. He was two footed with vision, he could deliver the final pass and he was good in the air. He was fantastic to watch. (And we can prove it. Click here for 10 minutes well spent with the wizardry of Zinedine Zidane).

Johan Cruyff (Midfielder/ Holland)

He was a natural coach and leader. Cruyff was blessed with pace, two footed, could play in any position, created and scored goals and was comfortable in wide areas with his exceptional crossing ability.

Diego Maradona (Midfield playmaker/ Argentina)

Maradona had vision, penetration, goal scoring and dead ball specialty.

Ronaldo (Striker/ Brazil)

Ronaldo was a destructive player who penetrated at will with pace and dribbling ability. And, of course, he scored goals.

Pelé (Striker/ Brazil)

Pelé had the same destructive gifts as Ronaldo. But he had the added ability of being very creative from the left and right flanks and was deadly in the air.

World Cup Quotes of the Day

Diego Maradona was always the best player in every match he played; the most efficient of the artistic players and the most artistic of the efficient ones. He never made a play or move that didn’t make sense for the team…

As far as I can remember he never did anything only for its artistic value; he always put it all to the service of the team’s efficiency, and when he had to take on responsibilities—personal responsibilities as the leader of the team—fractured, injured, under enormous physical constraints like for example in Italy, he did it.

Victor Hugo Morales, legendary Uruguay commentator

(Diego) Maradona’s team-mates of old say how very reassuring it would be to line up with him and sense that opponents were afraid, even before exiting the tunnel. How he played like he had eyes on the back of his neck and was always alert and ready to return any pass, perfectly.

Marcelo Mora y Araujo, UK Guardian
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:07:21 AM by FF »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Facing Diego Maradona: W/Cup memories with Fenwick, Leonson and Hart
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »
Iniesta, Pirlo, Zidane, Maradona will be my midfield, but if Maradona hogging the ball without results, ah takin him tf off..everyday wasn't Sunday for he...most days, but not everyday.. Cruyff & Matthaus, get relegated to bench for me.. my Right back is a Brazilian, but I can't remember his name now..

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
I think Iniesta's gonna be a hall of famer for sure. But I just can't leave Matthaus out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Iniesta, Pirlo, Zidane, Maradona will be my midfield, but if Maradona hogging the ball without results, ah takin him tf off..everyday wasn't Sunday for he...most days, but not everyday.. Cruyff & Matthaus, get relegated to bench for me.. my Right back is a Brazilian, but I can't remember his name now..

No reason to name him because there's only one answer fuh that.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
Lol. In the series so far, there have been a few Brazilian right backs named. Carlos Alberto, Josimar and Cafu all got picks.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Lol. In the series so far, there have been a few Brazilian right backs named. Carlos Alberto, Josimar and Cafu all got picks.

Players who came in  from the beginning of the  tv era(1966-1970) will get all the props. Now we see the players every week. Pele and them played right when international tv broadcast took off. Imagine if we were able to see DiStefano, Djalma Santos, Garrincha, even the old TT national teams play on TV.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »

Dat eh saying nutten ... there's still only one right answer :) ... and it ain't Josimar, except out of sentimentality ... with all due respect to Leonson :) and maybe maxg  :devil:. By the way, mention of Josimar reminds me of the discussion that started with this:

Mario scored a goal yesterday. Breds, strong contender for goal of the year.

What ah talking bout? When he string up Pat Jennings from around de same spot as Balo. Quite the birthday gift for Jennings.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:09:11 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »
Josimar goal was real thunderous venom.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
Valid point Deeks.

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:53 AM »
World Cup memory lane with Fazeer, Kelvin and Nakhid
By Wired868

There are three basic questions and, each week, we will take one answer from a different interviewee. So let’s kick off week five:

My most vivid World Cup memory

Fazeer Mohammed
is a renowned West Indies cricket commentator and Morning Edition host with TV6. But he was a football fan long before either job.

Mohammed, a longstanding Liverpool supporter, explains why one of the first sportsmen to warm his heart not a suave West Indian batsman but actually a stocky Germany striker named Gerd “Der Bomber” Muller.
He picks up the tale:

My favourite memory was Gerd Muller scoring the winning goal for West Germany in the 1974 World Cup final against Holland in Munich.

This is all about sentiment and first impressions lasting. As a nine-year-old son of a sports fanatic, I was watching a “live” World Cup football for the first time; and, even then, was made aware of how big an occasion was a World Cup final.

My father was a huge fan of the Germans and especially Muller. And apparently, among his group of friends, he was the only one backing the home team against the hugely popular Dutchmen and their brilliant and inspiring captain Johann Cruyff.

So when Muller was able to turn on a five-cents piece and stroke the ball past the outstanding Holland goalkeeper Jan Jongbloed to put the Germans ahead 2-1 (the final score), just before halftime, my father leapt out his chair and jumped for joy.

It is an image that stuck with me as reflecting his passion for sport and how big a deal World Cup football is.
Now that it is more than four years since he passed away, the memory is treasured even more.

Read More

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:57:35 AM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup memory lane with Fazeer, Kelvin and Nakhid
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 02:58:53 AM »
Lasana, like yuh sign a contract with David Nakhid?

De David Nakhid franchise.

The man who sold out T&T to Bahrain have a lot to say.

De same T&T who got him out of Lebanon.

And he claim he was fighting for black players. I find that hard to believe.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 04:19:57 AM »
Why don't we place all of these on one thread ... at least eventually. It would help with tracking the memories.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 04:23:30 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bJonZstRGc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2bJonZstRGc</a>

Plenty memorable quotes and moments. On the field action for young ballers to grasp and old ballers to reminisce. Really memorable for Drid, the ALG goalie.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:44:08 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
W/Cup memory lane with Kelvin Jack, Jan-Michael Williams and Shaka Hislop
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »
World Cup memory lane with Kelvin, Jan-Michael and Shaka
By Wired868

There are three basic questions and, each week, we will take one answer from a different interviewee. So let’s kick off week six:
My most vivid World Cup memory
Kelvin Jack will always be remembered for being in possession of the number one shirt when Trinidad and Tobago made history by qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. So Dennis Lawrence stole the headlines with his unforgettable header against Bahrain in Manama. But just as crucial for the “Soca Warriors” was Jack’s acrobatic last minute save that booked the two island republic’s World Cup berth.
But, for Jack, his most vivid memory came as a fan as he watched a legendary Brazilian striker lift the World Cup trophy:
It is definitely seeing Ronaldo—and I’m talking about The Phenomenon—lifting the World Cup.
I’d always followed the Brazilian’s career from PSV Eidhoven all the way to his last move back to Brazil. This is a guy who tore his patellar tendon twice yet he was able to be the World Player of the Year on three occasions. That takes incredible determination and mental strength.
I know a bit of his struggle first hand as I had tendinitis and a small tear in my patellar; and it is a quite serious injury.
I’ve heard many people call him lazy and they don’t know what they are talking about. You don’t have the kind of success he had and overcome such serious injuries along the way by being lazy.
He is a champion and he is a player I looked to for inspiration when I had to deal with my own injuries.
Without question, Ronaldo is the greatest centre-forward of the last 30 years; quick, strong, mentally sharp, technically perfect and his finishing was imperious.

Read More
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:45:25 AM by FF »

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Memory Lane Thread
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »
Nice idea asylumseeker. Sam, I asked everyone three questions but only use one answer per person each week.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
stumbled pon this..didn't know where to post..not dated, but we can guess
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-390597/The-smile-hide-Trinidad--Tobagos-steel.html

Daily Mail Online

The smile that can't hide Trinidad & Tobago's steel

Just about everything that Leo Beenhakker says is accompanied by a smile. But what is that saying about a smiling assassin?

The veteran Dutchman, now Trinidad & Tobago coach, barely stopped grinning as he jousted with the English media during an hour-long press conference.

But behind the laughs and the wisecracks he had a serious message. England, he believes, paid his adopted nation and their band of journeyman footballers insufficient respect in the days and weeks following the World Cup draw at the end of last year.

Is Beenhakker right about England? Tell us what you think in readers' comments below.

Tomorrow in Nuremberg he intends to remind Sven Goran Eriksson and his players that Trinidad & Tobago are in Germany to compete.

Beenhakker said: 'When countries from Africa and the Caribbean play the European or South American teams there's always a certain difference. But in football you can compensate for talent with passion and courage. Also with good preparation.

'That's why I never understood why people wrote off the other sides, the so-called smaller teams.

'After the draw you (the English) and Sweden were talking only of themselves and not of Paraguay or Trinidad & Tobago. It was as if we didn't exist.

'Well, we do exist and we're here just like everybody else in this tournament.

'To think like that was a big mistake. It's not so easy for the big teams to beat the smaller teams any more. Everybody has learned how to organise, how to prepare their sides mentally and physically.

'There are no easy games these days for the big teams — you see them struggle all the time, and that's why it's a real world championship now.'

Trinidad have already served notice of their capabilities by drawing with Sweden. So pleased was Beenhakker with that goalless result that he gave his players 24 hours off.

'"Go away", I told them,' he said. 'I didn't want to see them for 24 hours. And I didn't.'

Where Beenhakker's players went for their down time is hard to work out. In the small German village of Rotenburg where they are based there is a bowling alley, a tiny cinema and that's about it.

But while Trinidad's latest set of sporting heroes let their hair down, Beenhakker, 63, was watching DVDs of England.

He added: 'Just like Sweden, England on paper have much more talent than us. After the Sweden match I pointed out that their front line were from Anderlecht, Juventus, Arsenal and Barcelona. We had a back-line from San Juan Jabloteh (of Trinidad), Gillingham, Wrexham and New England Revolution.

'We compensate for that. We've a lot of respect for our opponents, but you shouldn't overestimate them.

'In the last two matches, against Jamaica and Paraguay, England scored seven goals — and five were from dead balls.

That's part of the game. But that means they're also struggling to beat opponents from open play, creating open chances. That's clear.

'So, in football, nothing is impossible and that's why we go into this game with courage and confidence. We're not here to follow the Olympic ideal of just taking part. Not at all. This is about winning.'

Beenhakker was invited to begin a war of words with the team his team meet tomorrow.

On the whole, he was having none of it. He had his own agenda and could not be persuaded to deviate from the script. There were kind words for Sven Goran Eriksson — 'one of football's top coaches' — and for Wayne Rooney — 'I hope he plays for his own sake' — but he was happy to play ball with one English question.

With his experience of work with the Holland national team, with Ajax and Feyenoord and Real Madrid, would he not have liked a call from the English FA when they were seeking a replacement for Eriksson?

'No, I would not,' he said, with the obligatory smile. 'I say that 90 per cent of my life is football, 10 per cent is private. If people are interested in that 10 per cent, I'm not interested.

'I don't feel sorry for Sven. That's a part of the job and you know that, when you go to England. It's weird, but it's understood that is what happens when you sign that contract.

'Some people have the courage to say No to offers like that. I'm like one of those. In that way, I admire Luiz Felipe Scolari for turning it down.'

Beenhakker's captain Dwight Yorke has revealed how Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson asked him to beat England for him.

The former United striker, who spent six weeks training with his old club as he prepared to lead his nation into their first World Cup, said: 'Everyone from Scotland, including Sir Alex, has made it clear they want us to do well against England.

'United got me in good nick and Sir Alex made it pretty clear who he wants to win the match with England. He also made sure I had a sense of belief because you need that on an occasion like this. I can't thank Sir Alex and his staff enough for what they've done for me. They made me feel as if I was one of their players again. At one stage, it made me feel as if I was back at United for real.'

Yorke has warned his former United team-mates that they should be wary of his team's threat. He added: 'I've spoken to Gary Neville and Rio Ferdinand. I've texted them both.

'The feeling among everyone else is great. With Gary I just wished him all the best against Paraguay. He wished us the same back. The texts with Rio were a little bit more "intimate". But it's just banter.

'England are a fantastic team with fantastic players in every position, players we would die to have.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-390597/The-smile-hide-Trinidad--Tobagos-steel.html#ixzz2wu7PiPkH
 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mhBrkBa9lho" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mhBrkBa9lho</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 11:11:06 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tim Vickery is one of the best in the business. That should be a really good documentary.

He's chosen a name for it: Futebol Arte. Brazilians use the term to describe the type of play we traditionally associate with a Brazilian team: attacking, enterprising, entertaining football.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Josimar goal was real thunderous venom.

CO-SIGNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
Wired868 3rd most visited T&T website  :beermug:
http://techtt.hassantt.com/2014/03/top-10-trinidad-and-tobago-websites.html

Soca Warriors Online is based in the US or else I am sure they would be there.

So I was told.

1]; } ?>