April 28, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Author Topic: Building An Academy In Trinidad  (Read 25650 times)

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
And keep the concerns, criticisms, suggestions coming. It will all contribute to something better. The goal is to use Nike's global reach to bring big youth teams to Trini to expose our kids to how it's played outside, but giving them these opportunities early enough so that they understand the level that they have to attain to be the best! We Doh care about kit, it's about exposure, development and success.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Very legitimate issues raised there fellas, one problems is that there are not too many facilities available in south Trinidad (San Fernando in particular.) And if people are willing to come forward and put forth their resources, then you have to grab that opportunity, whereever it presents itself. The concept with respect to the academy is that the rich will pay those who do not have the means. It's a very simple model to be honest, but what it ensures is that everyone will benefit. Any youth player in Trinidad with real ability will be provided for, hence the importance of the potential arrangement with Nike. The academy will seek to have kids from Cedros, to Point Fortin, anywhere for that matter and as long as they show signs that they have passion and ability- they will be provided for. The difference here however, is that they will all have to understand the value of the opportunity, so both rich and poor will be heavily involved in activities that will see them giving back to those who might need a little hand in the community. Stay tunned to what will be achieved...

try looking at Presentation Grounds in Union Hall
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
lots of commotion regarding that facility, the gulf view facility has tremendous potential, stadium lighting will be used, and there is serious room for expansion - five acres...

Offline ragga

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
good move - just do it !

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tried my best not to bring myself down to your level but Sam you sound absolutely ignorant!! keep up the good work Sherwood!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
I just love to ole talk, doh study me.

Sherwood, do yuh ting man, glad for u and ah hope yuh become successful.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I just love to ole talk, doh study me.

Sherwood, do yuh ting man, glad for u and ah hope yuh become successful.

Yeah I know you was only kicking man, but any feedback from you fellas that will make things better for the development of the players is always greatly appreciated - good, bad or otherwise. Bless!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Very legitimate issues raised there fellas, one problems is that there are not too many facilities available in south Trinidad (San Fernando in particular.) And if people are willing to come forward and put forth their resources, then you have to grab that opportunity, whereever it presents itself. The concept with respect to the academy is that the rich will pay those who do not have the means. It's a very simple model to be honest, but what it ensures is that everyone will benefit. Any youth player in Trinidad with real ability will be provided for, hence the importance of the potential arrangement with Nike. The academy will seek to have kids from Cedros, to Point Fortin, anywhere for that matter and as long as they show signs that they have passion and ability- they will be provided for. The difference here however, is that they will all have to understand the value of the opportunity, so both rich and poor will be heavily involved in activities that will see them giving back to those who might need a little hand in the community. Stay tunned to what will be achieved...

try looking at Presentation Grounds in Union Hall

yeah it had some kinda commess with that grounds i heard.     i trying to figure out where this grounds is in gulf view..5 acres is plenty space man.  i like this program, this is the kinda thing that we need to do to help get the youth ready. a program of this sort as congo and others have said helps to prepare the youths in many other ways besides football..this is good life training here as well.   i wish you guys all the best mr sherwood.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Wanted to document a few concepts about how we approach the development of our youth academy players - benchmarks, establishment of goals, what we communicate, the total footballer concept, what went wrong with allot of players of the 80s generation. As always any feedback greatly appreciated! Bless!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP13jVcI8f0

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Fellas,
First Week Of Academy Training Down! We have some very talented kids, and one in particular will be a tremendous player - 8 years old. He's from deep south...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL8XRPotxDs

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 :beermug:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
keep going AMWOOD
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I love it. I like the fact that they are so young but you have already started 'barking" orders at them. I've seen some youth session where the coaches really cuddle and pussyfoot around the players.

What do you think about players so young wearing brands like Nike and Adidas etc? I read somewhere where clubs in Europe used to instill player discipline by making all their youth players wear plain black boots until they sign professional. Apparently it really made the players work hard and not develop an entitlement attitude.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I love it. I like the fact that they are so young but you have already started 'barking" orders at them. I've seen some youth session where the coaches really cuddle and pussyfoot around the players.

What do you think about players so young wearing brands like Nike and Adidas etc? I read somewhere where clubs in Europe used to instill player discipline by making all their youth players wear plain black boots until they sign professional. Apparently it really made the players work hard and not develop an entitlement attitude.

Appreciate the feedback man! I agree with your concept entirely! In fact, we have secured Nike game day gear for the kids, however, they do not  get those until they have earned the right to wear them. It's something that they know they will have to work very hard to have - in a small way - it's an incentive for them to keep grinding. In fact, Fuentes posted a video about the Nigerian national Under 20 team and how they train in regular "street kit"....players were wearing Madrid, Man U Jerseys at a national team session. The coach talked about the fact that no one wears the kit until they have secured selection. This is the video I believe.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQdB0F-LYXA&list=WL9142E7155F80EA3A&feature=mh_lolz
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:07:49 PM by amwood »

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
keep going AMWOOD

Appreciate the feedback fellas! Any ideas you all may have, we are totally open to suggestions...

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Am kinda sad that am no longer living in Trini so that I could have my kids taught by you... Anthony .  Woulda been great ,Good Luck Coach.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Have a good feeling about this. Gives me hope for T&T's footballing future. Hoping for the best
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Am kinda sad that am no longer living in Trini so that I could have my kids taught by you... Anthony .  Woulda been great ,Good Luck Coach.

Have a good feeling about this. Gives me hope for T&T's footballing future. Hoping for the best

Big respect fellas! We have two kids right now in the group that we bringing the Arsenal man to see in July..the instincts they demonstrating at 8, and 9 respectively is very different at this stage...

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why we getting carried away with this nonsense?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

A chapter out of Jack Horner ... :devil:

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Coache, I see you're a St.Benedicts College man/fan, an Ivan Sampson fan as well, Ivan should be back in Trinidad soon and I'm hoping he will link up with us in south to do what we can to make things a little better. Interestingly, we have kids who's parents played for St.Benedicts currently training with us. Anyway, come thru one day if you're around and I would love to hear yuh thoughts in person! Your impressions - good, bad or otherwise will always be welcomed! Bless!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
To have a good academy.

1. You have to get the parents involved.

2. You have to teach the kids- book knowledge (tactics and reading), fitness (like Barcelona) and discipline (manners and respect) before they even kick a ball.

Caribbean players are always good but one thing they lack, ball sense, you have to make them smarter footballers.

Focus on 4 things, trap, pass, make yourself available for de ball at all times and shoot.

Talk to Flex, he could teach you a thing or two, this is where I learn it from, we play ball a long time now.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Ah rel confused with this...amwood doing something positive here as far as I could tell?

What nonsense we getting carried away with?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
just want to add words of support ,!!! wishing the very best to you amwood , along with all those involved in youth academy ....... it augurs well for the future best wishes once again ...... nuff respect

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why do we like to entertain ourselves with nonsense? Sherwood is a businessman, so is La Foucade,these men are making a living..they know where the real talent is but they choose to do otherwise.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why do we like to entertain ourselves with nonsense? Sherwood is a businessman, so is La Foucade,these men are making a living..they know where the real talent is but they choose to do otherwise.
So what you want him to do coache ,go play small goal up in the hills to find talent ? Well take him up there if you all cool up there.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

If he's not a businessman, he's wasting his time. Football is a business. Until coaches start thinking business first, they will achieve very little. It takes a lot of investment to launch and run a decent academy. Good coaches need paying. If you don't like this, then send your kids to the piper man  who once played in intercol and lines up 30 kids to kick one ball. But if you want good coaches, good equipment and quality organisation you have to pay. Eventually, the cream will rise to the top and at that point a different approach is needed. In life, you get what you pay for, it may not be fair, but that's how it goes.

The question is, how do we find and develop the talented kids who can't afford to pay?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I thought iz something sensible yuh had to contribute. Yuh bring a very one-dimensional bias to the table dey. Moreover, de man projecting into "Deep South". Lehwe see what kind of conscientious administration Sherwood brings to the table before lambasting him.

(That stated, amwood ah still waiting on yuh to share with the youths how yuh ended up in VA. Two-way street brodda).

Dumplingdinho

I thought iz something sensible yuh had to contribute. Yuh bring a very one-dimensional bias to the table dey. Moreover, de man projecting into "Deep South". Lehwe see what kind of conscientious administration Sherwood brings to the table before lambasting him.

(That stated, amwood ah still waiting on yuh to share with the youths how yuh ended up in VA. Two-way street brodda).

didnt he go to school in VA?

Dumplingdinho

so coache what u doing to improve football?...from ur name it sounds like u are a coach but i hope your coaching skills better than your spelling skills.  I understand you are a benedicts man but that does not mean you have to hate stuff done by Pres or Naps men.  That is secondary school behavior (I am assuming you are an adult).

1]; } ?>