March 28, 2024, 04:31:58 PM

Author Topic: Building An Academy In Trinidad  (Read 25357 times)

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Coache it does appear that you have some serious perspective man, hence, one of the reasons that I  responded to all of your criticisms - not in a defensive or abusive  manner, but more so with an approach that has resulted in you revealing your insight. It could have started off that way from the onset. But anyway, I agree with you to some degree on the concept of genetics. It is very true that Dwight was significantly stronger than any of us from that era. He had great technique of-course, but even at 14, he was very strong. I recall many times sitting and observing how difficult it was for even senior type players to get that ball off him. Dwight grew up on the beach in Tobago, the man could swim like a fish and I believe that much of his physical strength came from the fact that he spent so much time swimming and running in the sand. Sounds a bit far fetched, but I think that it played a significant role in what he was able to achieve - even at a young age. As you all would know, allot of training facilities in Europe have "sand filled" areas where players do some of their strength and conditioning work. Now that said, I would always take a player of high technique over a player who has more raw strength and decent technique at a very young age. I believe that it is more feasible to develop a player's physical attributes as opposed to the scenario where a player is not very gifted technically, but is very strong. We are talking very young players. Physical development can come with a proper training environment, diets etc. However, I believe that touch and technique is god given...   

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

the fact that he spent so much time swimming and running in the sand. Sounds a bit far fetched,  

Not far-fetched star. probably gave him the edge over others to succeed.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr Sherwood agree..I feel that cumulatively we are all in agreement and all points taken into consideration we would want  the best players the ones with football skills as well as physical.
So ..starting out with the young talent ..doing the best you can for the player is all we can ask for.
I commend you for the journey that you have decided to embark upon in my beloved southland.
I supported you 110% as a player ..I intend to support you in what you are doing now..we need more like you.
By the way I played in College with a Liberian fella ..Pape James ..he always talked about you.. I guess he knew you from the D.C area.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Also dat strength thing you talk bout with Yorke..these African boys I have here amazing me with that all the time..they look like men and the boys them young..young..Africa..I am convinced ..but like you said silk touch is God given..I have touches men too but when the game turn to Mourinho style tempo..counter attack ..warlike  ting and monkey wrench drop on dah soft touch man..pressure oui..

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I can agree with both Amwood and Coache is some respects. When my son was signed to Gillingham at 6 years old, he was naturally two footed, had great vision and awareness, a very good first touch and control and was fearless and aggressive in his play, but was on the small side and not particularly fast.

He could pass well, tackle and read the game, but when he tried to run past players they could easily catch him and muscle him off the ball. When I talked to the coaches (I didn't think he had the physical attributes to play at a good level) they told me they would be putting bands from his wrists to his elbows so that he would "pump" as he ran and develop more speed. They also said they would develop his technique to ride a challenge and retain possession.

These techniques did help him improve, but by age 8 he just couldn't compete at that standard. The coaches told me he was a great left back, but he just wasn't physically strong enough.

So, yes, having ability is good, but you also need the physical prowess. In some you can develop the talent, in some you can develop the physical requirements. But you have to recognise when it's time to stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

For all the hours spent teaching my son technique, he was never going to be a good enough athlete. But we had great times and even now I love nothing more than kicking a ball around with him.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Sorry if I lost you Mr Observer but the clubs actually look at the kid's parents. If the parents  are  tall, athletic, have a history in playing sports etc..  ..I feel that  if they could put the parents thru tests they would do that too. You see they invest a lot of money so they want to make sure that when the kid grows up the kid has desirable characteristics.
the anomolies in the game right now are Messi, Iniesta, Xavi..but what I have learned is that if a player is below 2m in  height ...that player must be able to carry his little body as fast or faster than the standard 2m player  by moving his legs at a rate of so many revolutions per min... it's actually measured...I think it's 2m correct me but it's about 5ft 9inch would be the shortest they'd like to go with.

Coach you have not lost me at all, genetics and athleticism have long been discussed & debated, especially when it pertains to West Africans and those of West African descent. However, my point is in OUR SPORT it is not the be all and end all. I have spent significant time throughout Europe, Central and South America  (in particular Holland). Yes everyone is looking for an edge, but at the end of the day this game has shown that players can come from any back ground (genetic make up) and be effective and successful. As a matter of fact Cruyff recently chastised Dutch football for not producting players beyond what he called Arbitrary Passers of the Ball. He was highly critical of Ajax approach which he felt over emphasized running at a young age. I believe his words were "drop all the rubbish and get back to football on the field." This game has accommodated many small players whom as I said simply have to be evasive, many will argue that the best players the game has seen have been smaller players. All these pro clubs Academy as you well know look at hundreds of players and the truth is less than 45% make it. As you are aware Ajax wants two players per year from its investment. I was at PSV when Afellay was around 15, Koeman & Vanenburg told me that the entire U16 team (18 players) existed for Afellay, because he was the one they felt would make it. Now I believe 3 players went on from that squad to the pro level, two at lower leagues. For all the talk about the Dutch, they are falling behind in the production of players. These things go in cycles, because the truth is no one has a blue print. Presently everyone looking at Belgium & Spain. Beyond the legends you identified for Spain, they also have the likes of Mata, Silva, Villa, Cazola, Isco, Callejon the list goes on
What Mr Sherwood is doing is light years away from what we are discussing, let him do his thing & maybe just maybe, like Bertil,  he will find a diamond in the rough that gets the break which will allow him to flourish in the game. Mr Sherwood just do your thing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:59:18 AM by Observer »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Keep up the good work Sherwood...we have to start somewhere if we want to see a better future  :)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What Mr Sherwood is doing is light years away from what we are discussing, let him do his thing & maybe just maybe, like Bertil,  he will find a diamond in the rough that gets the break which will allow him to flourish in the game. Mr Sherwood just do your thing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr Sherwood is light years ahead..hmm..what is La Foucade doing in Port-of Spain? What is different ? Can anyone tell me please.
A man talk about what the Spaniards are doing ..the Spaniards always produced some of the world's finest players..silkiest of touches etc..etc..etc.. can we do that in Trinidad?  Have we ever produced any player like Mata, or Xavi or Iniesta? Would we ever do it?  Absolutely not.
We have however, produced Warren Archibald, Jan Steadman, Leroy Deleon, Steve David, Tony Douglas, Everald Cummings, Leroy Spann, Victor Gamaldo, Michael Maurice, Shaka Hislop, Dwight Yorke, Leonson Lewis,Russel Latapy, Jap Brown,Sedley Joseph, Richard Chinapoo.....I don't know if we getting a visual of the players I am calling out..
These players are all naturals ..they developed themselves as kids ..they did it   by  natural selection..survival of the fittest as you may call it  surfaced to the top and made a name for themselves internationally..there was  one player ..whom I have never seen play football who I failed to mention is Bobby Sookram.
We have a way of doing things in Trinidad where we like to reinvent the wheel..especially where football is concerned..all I am saying is we should take a more streamlined approach when we talking bout Academy..in every major sporting country on this planet, an Academy is a place where the BEST possible prospects are sorted out based on whatever the criteria established ( measured for consistency)
are housed, fed, educated and trained for that particular sport.
If that's what Mr Sherwood is doing then.. and only then.. he is light years ahead.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
He said "light years away from what we are discussing" (where your genetics bias took the exchange), not "light years ahead". Sherwood's project is in it's infancy.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:48:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sorry breds my apologies..

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
He said "light years away from what we are discussing" (where your genetics bias took the exchange), not "light years ahead". Sherwood's project is in it's infancy.
Mr Sherwood is light years ahead..hmm..what is La Foucade doing in Port-of Spain? What is different ? Can anyone tell me please.
A man talk about what the Spaniards are doing ..the Spaniards always produced some of the world's finest players..silkiest of touches etc..etc..etc.. can we do that in Trinidad?  Have we ever produced any player like Mata, or Xavi or Iniesta? Would we ever do it?  Absolutely not.
We have however, produced Warren Archibald, Jan Steadman, Leroy Deleon, Steve David, Tony Douglas, Everald Cummings, Leroy Spann, Victor Gamaldo, Michael Maurice, Shaka Hislop, Dwight Yorke, Leonson Lewis,Russel Latapy, Jap Brown,Sedley Joseph, Richard Chinapoo.....I don't know if we getting a visual of the players I am calling out..
These players are all naturals ..they developed themselves as kids ..they did it   by  natural selection..survival of the fittest as you may call it  surfaced to the top and made a name for themselves internationally..there was  one player ..whom I have never seen play football who I failed to mention is Bobby Sookram.
We have a way of doing things in Trinidad where we like to reinvent the wheel..especially where football is concerned..all I am saying is we should take a more streamlined approach when we talking bout Academy..in every major sporting country on this planet, an Academy is a place where the BEST possible prospects are sorted out based on whatever the criteria established ( measured for consistency)
If that's what Mr Sherwood is doing then.. and only then.. he is light years ahead.

Coache we are only one month in bro, Lawdd! Give me at least six months before you start comparing us to what others are doing, you keep calling La Foucade's name for some reason as if to suggest that he and I have the same objectives. I think yuh hear Gulf View and you see one or two white kids in a video and you have jumped to some preconceived notion as to what you believe we are about. What I would want to make clear is that we hope to create an environment that will equip players with the tools necessary to make an impression on colleagues of mine who have sent players at 14, 15 to a club like Arsenal. Between you and me, the responsibility of a full blown residential academy should be that of the TTFF, the ability to do that on our own at this moment is definitely light years away. So to make it clear, my aspiration is to take gifted players at a young enough age - developed them technically, prepare them physically, and equally as important - strengthen them psychologically to be able to - at 14 or 15, impress at a one week trial at a club like Arsenal. Why Arsenal? Well prior to coming back to Trinidad, I had a player who was taken at 14 on trial and was personally invited by Wenger himself to be part of Arsenal's academy. What it did essentially, is provided me with a benchmark as to qualities a club of that magnitude looks for in young players. If we can produce one of those in the near future then that represents success. With the other kids coming to us who are talented but not quite at that level, then we will seek other opportunities via US scholarships etc. Within the space of two weeks and a few phone calls, we were able to secure scholarship offers for three players who had no opportunities prior. What it means is that these guys now have the opportunity for a better life. Hopefully that clears up allot of this talk about what u feel we are about and what u think our objectives are. We are here to develop players, expose them to the highest level of competition that our resourses will allow, and then create opportunities for them based on their potential. As I've said it's been only one month since we got started...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:31:52 AM by amwood »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seems like you have a good plan. You have the experience made inroads into the system..understand what's required have a good connection.. go on and help the kids ..I would be happy to come and volunteer some of my time and work with some of the kids if you would allow.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coa
coache I have read all your post, you need to put down the bottle before you type. At least read the post before you respond. Your discussions like the post above are so contradictory it is not funny. Maybe like Shabazz you have too much knowledge, which most seem to come from a book. What exactly outside of coaching courses & some youth coaching have you actually done in football. Did you play? Have you ever coached a professional team and actually had to manage the players & team. ODP, Academy anything.
You giving advice  left right & center based on what I can gather coaching some youths in the US. Which one of your intelligent players that your produce playing on a top class team. You talking about coaching & development, then on the other hand describing Trinidad & Tobago legends as Naturals. If players of that pedigree  can reach where they reach Naturally, then why  would you think coaching is the only way forward.
Take time settle down.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That's why Trinidad Football is in the state that it is in because people like you have all the answers.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
ANC2 I appreciate that you took time to read all my posts ..means that there must be something there worth reading. By the way I doh put water in meh mouth to talk..

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mr ANC2..I have never coached a professional team ..I have never coached at an academy, I have never coached an ODP team. I have been coaching kids since 1988. I coach at the club level four days a week with games on the weekend. I work with inner city players one day a week with one game on the weekend and I play recreationally when I have the time.
I have the USSF A lic and the NSCAA Premier Diploma also a Professional Development Diploma from the NSCAA. I have done many symposiums and conferences over the years and travelled to Brazil, Panama and Holland. I started coaching in Panama in 1988. I played football at the club level in Trinidad.
I played in two NAIA Colleges between 1992-1996. I am at best an average player that's why I played for two Colleges I was having trouble getting playing time so I tranferred.
The school I transferred from had a team that was made up of players who were former pros and many of the players who are still my close friends  were big name players for their National team (senior team) players such as Dionsyius Sebwe, Pape James (full professional who played with David Nakhid and Shaka Hislop at the Baltimore Blast) Diego Gutierez from Columbia who ended up  playing on the US national team.. and others.
I at the time didn't feel I was treated fairly by the coach Ben Popoola, so I left. Looking back if I was coaching I wouldn't have picked me either.
I have decided on coaching at a higher level and I knew that if I  played in College it's a lot easier to get a coaching licence. College players and ex pros get to start at a higher level.
I live and coach in the suburbs. The kids that I coach are suburban. Most of them drop the game when they go off to college. Some go on to play in College, few of them become Pros..truthfully I don't keep track.
The football culture here for the most part is one of apathy. Most of the kids do not watch the game..they'd prefer to watch baseball, basketball, NFL, whatever except "soccer" it's too boring to watch..
I am supposed to be involved in the ODP process ..that program is dying..the problem is that the best talent is not in ODP. The most talented kids are usually the kid form Africa or Mexico but there might only be two scholarships; the foreign kid would be selected but the parents can't afford the fees so the spot would go to the suburban kid who didn't make the cut in the first place.
It gets old after a while..you workin so hard and you know that the kid wouldn't amount to much as a player even if the kid got some potential.They only touch the ball when they come to practice they don't play pick up games and they don't watch the game.
So,  I get my satisfaction by working with the foreign athletes in the underground leagues like the African League and the Mexican league and the best time of the year ..summer tournaments. I work with players who played professional in Africa, Bosnia, Mexico, Germany (Iranian and Bosnian players),Romania, Costa Rica, I also get Trinidad College Players who come and play in the summer..all of them have represented Trinidad at the youth level.
I have coached a PDL team in the past  the PDL is supposedly a feeder for the Pro leagues. I have coached many top quality players and won many a tournament. These players are dreamers like myself we come out and take our work  seriously and train hard and we travel about and play for money and win..sometimes we lose. I have players who left and went back and played for their country in the African Nations Cup ( Simon Mulama for Kenya).
I can't say that I produced any player. All the quality players I have been exposed to came to me with their gifts.They entrusted me with their gifts and most of them say that I have helped their game in some form or another.
Some players may not like me I don't know ..I know that we had a lot of fun together and that is ultimately the objective ..it is a game;  they all call me Coach ..the Trinis call me Coachman..and my Nigerian assistant calls me Coache.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coache, are you a former junior national team player?

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Week 6, a good friend who is a big coach in Trini said that he finds that it is difficult to teach one or two touch football in Trinidad, said it's a cultural thing. I disagreed with him, and on top of that, I told him it can be done if the mentality is instilled early enough. I also mentioned that our players can be taught what it means to have an excellent attitude towards defending. We are working on those two concepts right now 6 weeks in...the players' average age is 8 & we have some who are 6 and 7 in the video. One older kid who is 13, his old man is a massive supporter of the Academy but everyone is aware of it - little compromise in that regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1P64BIzp-M
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:03:52 AM by amwood »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
football is football ..ofcourse you can teach one touch football...that's one of the ways to increase speed of play and get players to make earlier decisions...you can do anything in Trinidad because the talent is there! It's just that the Trinis don't realize it..Jamaicans on the other hand have a different mentality they truly believe they can do anything that's why they are the best in the world at something.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
football is football ..ofcourse you can teach one touch football...that's one of the ways to increase speed of play and get players to make earlier decisions...you can do anything in Trinidad because the talent is there! It's just that the Trinis don't realize it..Jamaicans on the other hand have a different mentality they truly believe they can do anything that's why they are the best in the world at something.

Exactly!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Less importantly ... does no one in the football industry make bibs or pinnies for children? It seems usual to see kids drowning in those things.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Less importantly ... does no one in the football industry make bibs or pinnies for children? It seems usual to see kids drowning in those things.

Hahaa! They do man, unfortunately they sent us the wrong sizes...

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
There's joy in repetition... say cha-cha-cha ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline BESBRAHN

• Jr. Warrior
  • Football is life!
    • View Profile
Had a look at the video you posted Sherwood and I love the work you are doing with the kids and the ideas you are trying to get across. I am an aspiring coach myself. One day soon I hope to get some badges here and get my feet wet. So far I have been able to get a diploma in Phys Ed and I may get a chance to assist with a coaching school in South. It is very encouraging to see guys who played college ball from South giving back to the kids. Keep it up!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Week 6, a good friend who is a big coach in Trini said that he finds that it is difficult to teach one or two touch football in Trinidad, said it's a cultural thing. I disagreed with him, and on top of that, I told him it can be done if the mentality is instilled early enough. I also mentioned that our players can be taught what it means to have an excellent attitude towards defending. We are working on those two concepts right now 6 weeks in...the players' average age is 8 & we have some who are 6 and 7 in the video. One older kid who is 13, his old man is a massive supporter of the Academy but everyone is aware of it - little compromise in that regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1P64BIzp-M

???
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Dont study nobody Sherwood, T&T culture need to break because it sucks.

One touch football is the way forward, we should have been playing that since 1974 when the world moved forward and left T&T back.

T&T use to have culture, de youth f00cking everything up now.

Big senior players in T&T still can't trap, pass and shoot, even Kenwyne is a culprit.

Keep working hard bro, you have the right idea.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I would like to reopen this topic because what Mr Sherwood is doing in Trinidad is very important for our future. He is doing a great service to his country by returning to contribute .
The age group which he has focused is the most critical of all age groups and he is the right man for them.
It is also at this age group where a lot of new research is being focused. The President of the United States have commissioned scientists to map and study the brain because our knowledge of the brain is very limited.
Researchers are finding that because the brain is developing at a very rapid rate during those years ,certain parts of the brain grow faster than other parts..e.g parts of the brain that has to do with reasoning tend to lag behind the part that responsible for pleasure that's why kids want to have fun vs  understanding a tactical concept.
There are  new concepts used by Barcelona for instance which have turned traditional concepts upside down.
What I do like about Mr Sherwood main themes are fun and technique.

Offline BESBRAHN

• Jr. Warrior
  • Football is life!
    • View Profile
Agree with Sam 100%.. Also with Coache...the age group Sherwood is targetting is what we need to focus on..getting them to play one touch and two touch football it will eventually become automatic when they start getting older and then the other skills can come in and complement. Sad to say I looked at a show on sportsmax highlighting college football some months ago and they showed Jamaican intercol and also ours. Marked difference...the Jamaican kids clearly have better technique and can trap,pass and cross the ball very well. Shows that the youths are better coached out there..hate to admit it but it was glaring.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Agree with Sam 100%.. Also with Coache...the age group Sherwood is targetting is what we need to focus on..getting them to play one touch and two touch football it will eventually become automatic when they start getting older and then the other skills can come in and complement. Sad to say I looked at a show on sportsmax highlighting college football some months ago and they showed Jamaican intercol and also ours. Marked difference...the Jamaican kids clearly have better technique and can trap,pass and cross the ball very well. Shows that the youths are better coached out there..hate to admit it but it was glaring.

Is there any real coaching in Intercol? Seems to me that these teams are only interested in winning. When kids leave school football, they are years behind their overseas contemporaries. Even trying to partner with some schools to help develop the kids in a professional environment are rebuffed. I know at least one 16 year old who I could send to an academy in England, but he wants to play Intercol. Instead of advising that this opportunity only exists at his current age and will be lost forever, he's encouraged to play school football and, by the way, he doesn't attend classes, so he's not there for educational reasons!!

However, the passion and support for Intercol exceeds the Pro League, so I guess I can see the short term attraction for the players, but they can't see the long term damage to their careers.

1]; } ?>