April 29, 2024, 04:32:40 AM

Author Topic: Is College league in a mess?  (Read 4637 times)

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is College league in a mess?
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:11:47 AM »
With Sides like St Georges and Tranquill who went a whole season without scoring a goal
what does this say about our nations premier youth football league

Is it that teams are getting so good like San Juan Fatima Mucarapo or is it just that these other teams are just plain crap.

South seems to be the best grouping because I dont remember any team in south taking real licks and Naps win the Big Five

But what is really going on with SSFL in TnT

Is this good for our football or should Lincoln Phillips start some kind of program to address this.

Or should we just leave this alone and focus on Jabloteh and W connection youth teams

I find it very Hard to Believe that a team can play a whole season
against other school boys sides
We talking about kids the same age here

and not even score a goal and every game collecting double figues

Something have to be wrong they
This is not School football as I know it

Who is playing for these teams and Better yet who is coaching them and what are these coaches doing.

at least you should be able to draw a match

How the ass Saints getting 7 from Fatima One day and Tranquill getting 9 from Fatima and them Tranquill going and get 5 from Saints too.

Nah something wrong they

what is they kids playing?

AT some point in the season somebody, the principal or parent somebody need to take stock of the team and get them to at least fight the games,

This turning into a Jokey league.

Secondary School Football is an essential part of TnT football development, It is the first and only time a youth player could learn to play infront of a crowd, which is important to learn before they reach national level.

We need to keep this league legit or replace it with a club version that is more competitive.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is College league in a mess?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »
Are you asking a question or are you saying that it's in a mess ?

I think the locals will have to give their imput here. I haven't seen a Coll league match in years.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 11:22:28 AM »
I haven't seen college football in the past three years. From what i hear and read i heard that the tobago league struggling and the ssfl finding it difficult to get corporate sponsor. I think the level of college football will change drastically  if trinidad qualifies for germany.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 11:29:48 AM »
I haven't seen college football in the past three years. From what i hear and read i heard that the tobago league struggling and the ssfl finding it difficult to get corporate sponsor. I think the level of college football will change drastically  if trinidad qualifies for germany.

ah just curious, how is de level going to change drastically if we qualify 4 Germany...Yorke eh going back and play for Signal Hill and ah think Latas not eligible for Tranquil... ;D..enlighten me please
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 12:02:50 PM »
There is some parity in the North and SOuth zones, but to be honest, the Central zone and Tobago zones ain't making sense.  Ah find that the East zone has dropped in standard too.  Lets not get carried away with San Juan's run this year.  They need to disolve the Central zone and place teams in the Ease and South zones as it was before.  Also, there needs to be better recruitment of coaches at this level.  Some schools still taking this thing for a sweat.  Personally, there is a big gap between sthe SSFL and the requirements of international youth football.  The professionalteams need to move towards an academy structure, in my opinion.  Right now, only two clubs seem to be headed in that direction--Jabloteh and Connection.  De PFL need to do a bit more arm twisting here, and bring in rpofessionals from abroad to enlighten the local club teams about the structural makeup of a professional football team, bucause we seem to be non-progressive in this area.  We are not bringing enough players through the system, and this is where we need to start.  Football is at a point now where is either you want to be a professional or you want to go to school--plain and simple.  Players need to make tht decision sooner than later, cause the European clubs look for good YOUNG talent that they can mold.  They go start recruiting babies soon.  See how them big clubs fighting over young talent lately?  They know where the future lies.  Yet, we don't seem to relaize this at home.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 12:09:35 PM »
Right now schoolboy football is not the place to develop players.

If it have ony four good teams in a seven team top flight then we are in a mess because it was not always like ths.

For all the goals that Fatima and Compre are scoring their players cannot get any better by playing teams like Tranquil and Saints. If they only playing 5 or six meaningful competitive games instead of twelve then the league is a waste of time.

In South Naparaima have no competetion. In the east if Gustine and ElDo then who  is San Juan really playing against? I don't even consider Central a real zone. That has always been the Pres Chaguanas fete match series.

Hopefully this is just a one-year blip.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:28:04 PM »
all true so just have 1 top division-call it the SSPL.
all them team JDB call overs central, add a few more.

NAPS, benedict's, SOUTH only teams worth a damn down there  ;)-waiting for pres Ptwon men to hit back.

gustine, eldo, arima, san juan- EAST

fatima, qrc, compre, tigers, malick, saints-NORTH-btw where the heck is trinity.

BAGO-give we scarbrough sec, and signal hill.
only major problem is the travel to go bago.
ok 1 or 2 more from south.  all the rest hard luck lower div. 
maintain zonal system in 2nd div. top 2 advance,
even throw in a 3rd place playoff with 3rd to last team in 1st div.

The pro league youth system, academy etc will take a very long time to come through.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 12:35:16 PM »
Naps and P. Town have been battleing it out for the last five years.  Somebody say Benedicts is the onlly other team down South.  What a Bias.  Scores this year:

P. Town 0, Naps 0
Benedicts 0, P. Town 1

This is spite of a somewhat disappointing showing from my team this year.  Lets get the facts right fellas.  The South zone has about four teams that could play in a national division.  Vessigny ain't no pushover.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »
For youth player development normally that will require big $$$ for any team and corporate sponsorship is required for that.

In jamaica, we have DaCosta/Manning Cup and wray and nephew and Appleton have sponsored school leagues before.

If there's ongoing sponsorship that will definitely help the league.
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 12:38:42 PM »
I haven't seen college football in the past three years. From what i hear and read i heard that the tobago league struggling and the ssfl finding it difficult to get corporate sponsor. I think the level of college football will change drastically if trinidad qualifies for germany.

ah just curious, how is de level going to change drastically if we qualify 4 Germany...Yorke eh going back and play for Signal Hill and ah think Latas not eligible for Tranquil... ;D..enlighten me please

When we make the world cup more money will be allocate to the develop of football throughtout the country. lets look at beenhakher. Because he has done such a good job for trinidad as of to date ,the governement is showing interest in hiring him for about two years to develop football by teaching local coaches. those same coaches may include coaches that coach at the secondary level and they can learn alot from Leo. Another thing is that the ssfl would get alot more sponsorship from corporations because they will be keen to develop football after trinidad level of football improves. Look what happen to the USA after they qualified for world cup in 1990. It develop soccer throughout america and now they have a MLS league. College students in my school is playing hard just to get a chance to get a trial just to play for the mls teams...

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 12:39:37 PM »
tenorsaw yuh fall for that one- i like the strong support yuh showed thopugh good sign

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 12:47:26 PM »
For youth player development normally that will require big $$$ for any team and corporate sponsorship is required for that.

In jamaica, we have DaCosta/Manning Cup and wray and nephew and Appleton have sponsored school leagues before.

Appleton is not rum

I wonder if we could have the Fernandez cup here
or the Angostura 1919 INTERCOL

Més que un club.

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »

Appleton is not rum

I wonder if we could have the Fernandez cup here
or the Angostura 1919 INTERCOL

My yute check yu facts
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:30 PM »
I agree with FootballKing.  We need to go back to one "major" division and all the rest as bystanders.  We need to have about 8 teams, start off with 2 from the North, South, and East and 1 each from Tobago and Central. 

Then you have a junior division where the others play zonal football then play a big 5 or whatever you want to call it to gain promotion. 

Demote 2, bring up 2.  This go make the damn thing competitive again.  Another issue is that college league is basically ah U16 league when you really think about it.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 03:15:19 PM »
I haven't seen college football in the past three years. From what i hear and read i heard that the tobago league struggling and the ssfl finding it difficult to get corporate sponsor. I think the level of college football will change drastically if trinidad qualifies for germany.

When we make the world cup more money will be allocate to the develop of football throughtout the country. lets look at beenhakher. Because he has done such a good job for trinidad as of to date ,the governement is showing interest in hiring him for about two years to develop football by teaching local coaches. those same coaches may include coaches that coach at the secondary level and they can learn alot from Leo. Another thing is that the ssfl would get alot more sponsorship from corporations because they will be keen to develop football after trinidad level of football improves. Look what happen to the USA after they qualified for world cup in 1990. It develop soccer throughout america and now they have a MLS league. College students in my school is playing hard just to get a chance to get a trial just to play for the mls teams...

Respect.... :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 03:42:50 PM »
One ting thats spoiling d SSFL is d Big guns like d Tigers and Naps takin d talented players from d weaker team thus dey r gettin stronger while d others will jus get weaker.
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 03:46:04 PM »
One ting thats spoiling d SSFL is d Big guns like d Tigers and Naps takin d talented players from d weaker team thus dey r gettin stronger while d others will jus get weaker.

Thats true...................but it is be very entertaining to watch a Tigers side with steve sealy, kenywne jones, benito and george and james and them men....
sometimes it is give the other schools something to strive for..........
they go work more as a team.........

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 04:38:23 PM »
Secondary School Football is not the feeder system for the talent pool at least not anymore. It comes from the youth club level U-13,U-15- U19 etc. The standard the SSFL is very low. The players don't have the requisite technique nor physique. The idea of the SSFL feeding national teams is unrealistic in the present format and adminstration of the league. Young players play SSFL because of the glory attached to the Historical competition. If they want to get better and get selected to a youth team they play club football.

There was a suggestion by Rene Simoes that the league be run over 6 months rather than 3. His rationale was that it would provide more contact with trained coaches where their skills could be improved. He also thought that there would more time for studies and less chance of injuries because there would only be one game per week rather than 2 or 3. This was never implemented and today we have two zones failing and generally mediorce football. It should be said though fellas that football at the youth clubs is at a decent level. I've been to a few games. This was evidenced by a quality U-15 team that was assembled in 1 month who finished 4th in recent tounament. Our lack of consideration for nutrition and fitness showed and lost to a less talented Jamaican team in the 3rd place playoff.

I say if we want to keep SSF then it must be lenghtened and all coaches  must undergo certification and annual retraining.One major thing we need to do is develop a natural firt touch in players. This can be achieved through the introducation of Futsal on a widescale in Primary schools and form 1. This is currently being done in Brazil youth football (contrary to popular belief Brazillian talent is not simply a product of the streets)

If we don not do this then we can forget about the SSFL and give the responsibility souly to the clubs

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 04:45:50 PM »
i feel knd cold up in conn and the brainfreeze affects his thinking

Offline Youth Baller

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 05:46:31 PM »
SSFL has certain quality teams, and then just medioca teams and then  poor quality(senior grade teams) if the league was to be made over for this year  the following teams would be playing to ensure a quality league.

NORTH               SOUTH            EAST             TOBAGO        CENTRAL

Fatima               Naparima        St.Augustine    Signal Hill       Presentation
  Mucurapo           St.Benedicts      San Jaun       Scarborough   Carapichima
 St.Anthony's          Vessigny         El Dorado
     QRC                  P/Town            Arima

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »
Arima?

How so when we cyar even beat nobody.  Jeeze we come second to last and that is because St. Georges included?

Historically yes...but this year, hell no!!
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 09:28:17 PM »
we need to set up a system of divsions..lets say we have roughly 40 schools playing in the SSFL right now..we can definitely tell that about 10 of them not seriously interested enough to try and put an effective structure in place to get decent results..therefore we can have surely have 2 top divisions of 10-12 teams each with relegation and promotion involved
.now lets say a team finishes last in the 2nd division..i believe they should remain in the league for the next season unless a school who has a real good U-16 team which by the way will be 1 year older and more experienced wants to enter the U-19 league would leave all U-14 and U-16 leagues as zones.
some of the main problems a national league going to face are logistics,league sponsorship,school sponsorship and some teams not ebing serious enough etc.
also it would be good to start the league in August.
this is just my way of trying to make secondary school football a lil more exciting.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »
YOUTH BALLER

boy before i cuss yuh please include malick in that list please i'm asking nicely :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 09:34:30 PM »
YOUTH BALLER

boy before i cuss yuh please include malick in that list please i'm asking nicely :beermug:

lol
it mustbe slip he mind Morv ..hit him ah clout deh  ;D
Feliz

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 09:47:57 PM »
how about a full league like d premiership an den a big 5 play off for d teams dat finsh in the top 5 to reall y be d national ssfl champions an do away wit d zones

wont really make a diff cuz malick go win it out any way :devil:
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 09:49:05 PM »
1st Division           2nd Division
 Â       
Naps                    Pres Sando
San Juan              Vessigny
Signal Hill              QRC
Mucurapo             St.Mary's
Fatima                 St.Anthony's
P/Town               St.Augustine
St.Benedict's        Arima
El Dorado             Scarborough
Pres Chag            Carapichima
Malick                  Chaguanas

this is based mainly on this years results
what happening to teams like Belmont,Trinity,North Eastern,Moruga,Siparia and P/Ville by the way?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 09:51:29 PM by Feliziano »
Feliz

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 09:53:44 PM »
thanks feliziano  ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 09:58:30 PM »
well it go hav 3 reegation spots an 2 playofff spots so if they slip 5 teams cud go down an 5 cud cum up  teams like belmont go play in a smaller version to d sspremier league

after sum years we cud cut d amount of teams down to 20 an run it like d barclays an see wat go happen dat go take massive sponsorship though

but i want one big league play every 1 once an run it into january or sumtin football cyar dun
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 09:59:12 PM »
thanks feliziano  ;D

yeah ah know dat woulda make yuh happy like pappy  :beermug:
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 10:07:06 PM »
yeah Shotta ah undertsnad what yuh saying..but i think a better idea is to have the last team getting relegated for sure from the 1st division and only the winner from the 2nd division getting promoted..then yuh have a playoff between the 2nd to last team and the runner-up from the 2nd division.

also for the teams not involved in either of the 2 divisions like P/Ville and Belmont etc..the onus is going to be on them to develop  a good U-16 team so as to try and enter the 2nd division the followin year at the expense of the last place team..we could do a Big4 playoff or something between the last 2 and the top 2 U-16 schools that may be interested in joing the national league.

the way i look at it is if your U-19 team is shit..they dont deserve to be any where near these 2 divisions..in that case i would say they try and start over with the U-14 and groom them for the future.
Feliz

1]; } ?>