April 25, 2024, 11:54:44 AM

Author Topic: Taila pleads for $130,000  (Read 1455 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Taila pleads for $130,000
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:45 AM »

Taila pleads for $130,000

...former national volleyballer can’t pay for final semester at university

Published:

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Rhonda Krystal Rambally

Taila de Souza hugs a pole bearing the T&T flag while on campus during International Week at the American International College, Springfield, Massachusetts, last year.

Former national volleyball player Taila de Souza is in need of funds for her final semester at the American International College, Springfield, Massachusetts. The 24-year-old is pursuing a doctor of physical therapy and has to pay approximately $130,000 by February 14 to complete a 12-week clinical internship.

She is hoping at least 20,000 readers of the T&T Guardian in print and online can donate the minimum amount of US$1 to her US$20,410 fees. De Souza played on the national volleyball team from 2002 until 2008. She possesses a BSc cum laude in interdepartmental science from the same college and upon completion of her final semester will fulfil her dream of becoming a physical therapist.

The physical therapy programme is an accelerated “3+3” programme where the student completes three years of undergraduate coursework as pre-requisites before moving on to complete three years of graduate level work. At the end of the first year of graduate level work, the BSc is conferred as a means of giving students credit for completing four years of work.

The past student of St Joseph’s Convent, Port-of-Spain, said, “I have completed all required coursework with the exception of submitting a final draft of my research project to pass a one-credit scientific inquiry course and a 12-week clinical internship course worth ten credits.”

She contacted the T&T Guardian with the hope that good Samaritans, the Government or the corporate sector will make donations towards her fundraising project http://gogetfunding.com/project/taila-s-last-semester-of-college. De Souza earned a four-year athletic scholarship by playing volleyball and tennis at the NCAA Division II level.

The Cunupia resident began studies in the fall semester of 2008 and her last scholarship-funded semester was spring 2012. She said, “I recognised at the very beginning of my studies that I only had four years of scholarship funding so I worked very hard taking the maximum course load each semester such that I was able to complete undergraduate requirements in one less year, making the total time needed for me to complete my studies in five years instead of six.

“My college does not offer any financial aid for graduate school students who are not permanent residents or citizens of the United States, so to pay for my tuition expenses last semester my mother had to work extremely hard to procure a loan, and she is unable to get another one to pay for this semester.”

Fulfilling my dream
 De Souza is willing to give back to T&T. She chose her field so she could contribute to the development of the public health sector in T&T. “Becoming a physical therapist meant a lot to me. “Physical therapy is a lot more than just putting ultrasound on a sprained ankle or rehabilitating sports injuries. “It covers any area where people need to return to their prior level of function.”

De Souza’s thirst for success has a lot to do with her coming from a single-income household. Her father died when she was six and her mother worked to support Taila and her sister. She said, “Last year, when my NCAA eligibility ran out, my mother made the ultimate sacrifice and took out another mortgage on her home to come up with the funds for last semester, maxing out her loan capacity.

“She has recently become ill and requires an invasive surgery this month for diagnostic purposes. “What terrifies me the most is that if my mother does not recover well enough, her ability to continue working would be decreased and if I am unable to complete my studies and repay the loan then she could lose her home.”

For more info: taila.desouza@aic.edu or 908-456-6482

‘She has potential’ Minister writes to Sport and Culture Fund

Sunday Guardian provided Sport Minister Anil Roberts with copies of De Souza’s letter for funding, bill ledger and her unofficial transcript on Tuesday. Roberts did not give a promise but said he would look into her file. Contacted on Friday, Roberts said after reviewing her documents he wrote a letter of recommendation to the chairman of the Sport and Culture Fund.

He requested an urgent response, that hopefully should come this week. “She has shown initiative and already raised about four per cent of the funds through her funding project. “I believe she is someone with potential.” He thanked the Sunday Guardian for bringing the issue to his attention and praised De Souza for her efforts.

“I wish her all the best and hope more people will venture into this field because as we move forward we want our nationals to return home and serve in different capacities.”

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:09:41 AM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Taila pleads for $130,000
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »
First time I am hearing about this young lady. Pardon my ignorance.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
I dont know her either , she is a Trinbagonian who need help ,from what i heard her father died when she was very young her mom had to morgage her house to send her to school , i hope she will get the funds needed. 

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
Touching story. I admire her drive. I too come from a family where our mother had to catch ass to so we could do better in life.

Just donated 40 dollars. That's just less beers for next month.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:31:41 AM »

Roberts promises help for Taila de Souza

Published:

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rhonda Krystal Rambally

Sport Minister Anil Roberts says financial assistance for former national volleyball player Taila de Souza is looking favourable. Roberts promised to assist after she asked for help to pay the fees for her final semester at the American International College, Springfield, Massachusetts.

The 24-year-old is pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy and needs to pay approximately $130,000 by February 14. The Sunday Guardian ran De Souza’s story last Sunday and on Friday she said the response had been “overwhelmingly humbling” and “touching.” She had expressed hope that at least 20,000 readers of the Guardian would donate the minimum amount of US$1 to help her reach her goal of US$20,410.

She said in the past week she received about US$600 from readers, while many others called and e-mailed her making donation pledges. De Souza played for the country's national volleyball team from 2002 until 2008. If the funds collected exceed what she needs, the surplus will be used to start a scholarship for future students like herself who are hard workers and want to make a positive change in the world.

Meanwhile, Roberts said as soon as the letters of appointment were given to the board of the Sport and Culture Fund, De Souza’s case will be the first to be addressed.

• For more info: taila.desouza@aic.edu or 908-456-6482
 • Donate: First Citizens—Acct no. 1641927, Scotiabank—Acct  no.170936
 • http://gogetfunding.com/project/taila-s-last-semester-of-college

1]; } ?>