March 29, 2024, 06:44:48 AM

Author Topic: Nick DeLeon declines T&T call-up.  (Read 50461 times)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nick DeLeon declines T&T call-up.
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
Men like rell talk yes...the ONLY reason I mention he damn father was too drive home the point dat he have ah direct lineage to effing TnT, did someone say he is not he father???? Really, he isn't??? look everybody could have dey opinion yes, mine (s) is call him up and salt for laborers like Dorsling and Gay et  al!!!!!

Oh, and great post Scorpion!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
at Scorpi,
and nothing wrong with that. He have every right, and from a football perspective it may serve the coach well. I all for Mr. Deleon making and playing for our National team, as in the footsteps of his father before him. My original question was, who is he replacing ? and depending on who, then what precedence does it set.
What ppl not discussing is for him to be called, someone has to be left out. So If all of the list I gave above declare their availabilty, and considering Dilly is better than "put yuh pic here", is it worth rejecting "yuh pick here" to make the TEAM slightly better ? Because for me, no one NEW (or old for that matter) man, would make a whole TEAM significantly better. Lebron & MJ couldn't do it, Messi, Ronaldo alone...Pele or Maradona couldn't...so my question is should we mess with a team obviously developing team chemistry for a initial slight increase in skill..is he that much better than Molino, Jones, Hector, Peltier, even Roberts, Guerra etc...to tell them and their teamates, "ah know you want to come thru, but hold on, this guy say he ready to play for we, let we see what he got"...
That being said, he could have come thru for these games in Jamaica, since we bringin Birch & Carlos, who will not be featuring, according to them, in the future, so would have been a nice opportunity...relaxed selection, he wouldn't even had had to commit, could have just been a guest player, and see how the vibes play all round. Theo, Birchie and Carlos, might have even help him make his mind up. Anyway, hope it works out for everyone, he and us. Let the REAL DILLY work on him

add: digicel  :rotfl:   what even Stern did only get text

No player should feel like their spot is secure on the team, because there must always be competition for places.  For us to just sit back and be content with what we have at present is a big mistake, in my opinion. We are also in a rebuilding phase so now is the time to scour the local leagues as well as foreign ones to find the RIGHT players to build the BEST team possible. Young Dilly could very well be one of those right players... We would never know unless we give the man a chance to see what he can offer. 

And if he decides to rep T&T and is selected ahead of Molino, Jones, Hector, Peltier, Guerra. The onus would then be on them to work harder to regain that spot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:43:16 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
Let the competition for selection and cementing  a place on the national teams begin i'm all that, its the best possible thing that can be ..... no player / or players  should be guaranteed a spot unless they are fully prepared to work  damn hard to earn it ... and in so doing keep it ... !!!  motto should be ..show us your deserve to be on our national team ...... it aint no work on no more ...( commitment , hard work, and discipline ) is what we looking for now and onwards...

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »
He's a good player by accounts and will probably add value. I think it is good for the TTFA to have asked the question to him. Haven't we complained in the past about being short on quality? So they are checking to ensure that all the quality options are being explored. Might as well let de Leon know that he has options and that his potential contribution has value. He made a decision, probably a smart one, and we can move on from that. Maybe he'll be ready later on and the opportunity is still open, maybe not.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
sure competition is good, totally agree with the above post..once it's organized and set. If that is the coaches' ground rules. hell yes....however, everything has to have a method, and organization and a timing, especially competition. Once coach and players alike, aware of when and what the standard is, then everybody could get a look see - a trial, especially observed quality..yet at some point coach has to stop looking and start extending the organization to what instructions he need..makes no sense spending a lot of time developing strategies, giving instructions, developing plays , get a smooth working analog machine, and the game going digital.
 I all for new and dynamic people who would look into an invitation..but and not going to keep sending Obama an invitation, and he not coming and keep blanking the man down on the block, cause he not no bigshot..if meh house ketch fire, guess who most likely would help meh save mehself ?

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »
Why allyuh keep callin dis man?

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
maxg  point taken .....   while we here on the topic of team selection ... just read keon daniel has failed to show in jamaica  for the friendly international .....hmmm  oh gosh boy  thats all i can say ..

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:13 PM »
maxg  point taken .....   while we here on the topic of team selection ... just read keon daniel has failed to show in jamaica  for the friendly international .....hmmm  oh gosh boy  thats all i can say ..
Speechless...

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2013, 04:02:57 AM »
Some people misread me here - DeLeon should just declare for America and be done with it - I have no problem with him playing for teh country he identifies for. I have a problem with him keeping the T&T option open as he clearly doesn't give a damn about playing for us, just for playing for some national team. The problem isn't that he doesn't want to play for T&T per se, it's that given he doesn't want to play for T&T why does he keep the option open and why are we keeping him on our radar?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nick DeLeon declines T&T call-up.
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:41 AM »

Time to let this fella go. How much chances must he get?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2013, 04:43:21 AM »
Waste

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

Time to let this fella go. How much chances must he get?

He never said No he is absolutely uninterested, he declined the invitation when sent last year I believe it was because he wasn't sure if he was ready to commit to playing for us at that time.  He has every right to take his time with that decision and we have every right to check on him every so often to see if he has warmed to the idea.  We don't have a pool the size of Brazil, Spain, et al so we have to keep all our options open and not be willing to dismiss quality player based on ego (because that is all this mentality could be about).  Fottball is about pride and all of that but we supposed to be trying to build the best team possible so when we have potential quality like that out there we need to stick close and see what develops.  Try telling the six countries trying to sway Januzaj that they should leave him alone until he say I want to play for (insert qualifying nation here) nah.  Get real.

Maxg I see yuh point and totally get it.  I disagree with only a small part of it as I believe right now is the absolute perfect time to be exploring.  BraveHart already seems to have his style and philosophy down and so far the players seem to be transitioning smoothly so why not do it during this period so that we understand better how all our potential pieces fit together?  I would have a different outlook if we already on the road to Qatar and NDL finally say awrite I comin dong when he notice we doin good and look like we dey.  Then we could talk about timing being wrong.  But right now while we building up and getting into a grove is when we need to know if Nick could add that extra spark we might need in attack (even if we don't need to use him til later down the line).

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
"we have to keep out options open" is the type of attitude I personally don't really like - there are a hundred or so players in the pro league who would bite their hand off at the chance to play for T&T; do you want to be represented by DeLeon instead of someone with some pride in their country of birth?

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
I want to be represented by de best footballers available, but dais just me eh.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
I want to be represented by de best footballers available, but dais just me eh.

Dat's cool, no problem if that's your position. Personally fed up of players and their attitudes in general - would really welcome a greater emphasis on character.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
Allyuh feel is community small goal or wha? Possibly large amounts of future income could be riding on dis decision, and man talking bout passion to play for national side? De man never disrespect Trini in any way, words or action, never say he would never play for Trini, why we cyah let de man take he time and figure out a complex situation? Tiresais, why yuh doh go and serve in de army or be a police for free, if de idea of paying bills and feeding yuh family totally irrelevant because of passion, loyalty and excitement when yuh hear Trinidad and Tobago?
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
Allyuh feel is community small goal or wha? Possibly large amounts of future income could be riding on dis decision, and man talking bout passion to play for national side? De man never disrespect Trini in any way, words or action, never say he would never play for Trini, why we cyah let de man take he time and figure out a complex situation? Tiresais, why yuh doh go and serve in de army or be a police for free, if de idea of paying bills and feeding yuh family totally irrelevant because of passion, loyalty and excitement when yuh hear Trinidad and Tobago?

Well I feel turning down the call is disrespectful personally - we differ on what we want from a national team. I disagree that playing for the national team should be a career decision - it should be an honour bestowed on a chosen few to represent the nation. Ironically the Army and Police are career choices, so I personally wouldn't consider them comparable. He can pay his bills and feed his family more than enough on his salary as it stands - he doesn't need national team caps to fulfil that part of his life.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
Some of you all are living in a frigging bubble. Talking about pride, ego and all that bs.. It's about results at the end of the day. Birchall was a league 2 players or something and jumped at the opportunity to play for us. He got lucky and ended up in a World Cup. He played alongside Beckham in the US. What national pride? We didn't even qualify for the final round this time. The program is in tatters and football in Trinidad is in tatters. We need to build something from the ground up. We need EVERYONE available if we are to reproduce the miracle that was World Cup 2006. You all think too much and tote too much feels. Get the best 11 on the field regardless of what it looks like. The name of the game is results.

Why don't you go and protest Shabaaz being a national coach? How's that for national pride. Some of you all fight the wrong battles. National pride is ensuring that your stadiums are maintained and available for athletes to use. National pride is getting sponsorship for your athletes from various corporate entities. National pride is a strong military. National pride is not picking a local based team to run down a ball.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:54:37 PM by congo »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2013, 02:45:03 AM »
Some of you all are living in a frigging bubble. Talking about pride, ego and all that bs.. It's about results at the end of the day. Birchall was a league 2 players or something and jumped at the opportunity to play for us. He got lucky and ended up in a World Cup. He played alongside Beckham in the US. What national pride? We didn't even qualify for the final round this time. The program is in tatters and football in Trinidad is in tatters. We need to build something from the ground up. We need EVERYONE available if we are to reproduce the miracle that was World Cup 2006. You all think too much and tote too much feels. Get the best 11 on the field regardless of what it looks like. The name of the game is results.

Why don't you go and protest Shabaaz being a national coach? How's that for national pride. Some of you all fight the wrong battles. National pride is ensuring that your stadiums are maintained and available for athletes to use. National pride is getting sponsorship for your athletes from various corporate entities. National pride is a strong military. National pride is not picking a local based team to run down a ball.

No need to get angry man, we have different conceptions of pride and what we want from a national team. Shabazz is Trinidadian, but Trini's 2nd ever coach was Hungarian so that boat has sailed if you're talking about that (but ya personally I prefer coaches to be nationals and non-coup participators...). Clearly if you think taht the best 11 on the pitch wins the game you missed Greece winning the European cup! I think discipline and the right attitude are more important than pure skill at the national level, where players don't play together for any major period of time bar the competition - in that situation having players with a good mentality and the discipline to fit into the coach's plans seems more important. Players there for personal gain play like that - Ibrahimovic is a case-in-point.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:36 AM »
Tiresais you have a weird sense of pride you attach to this thing I find.  I don't see how declining an invitation while you take time to make the right decision based on many factors that you seem to want to ignore can be viewed as disrespectful.  If both T&T and the U.S. called him up, would you find it disrespectful that he chose the land of his birth?  Would it not be a prudent career choice given that the U.S. play in much bigger tournaments and do fairly well given where the sport ranks in the U.S.?  Wouldn't that create better potential opportunities for him to move on to a better league than MLS if he was able to stand out?  Congo is right to point out that it is indeed a career decision and should not be taken lightly.  You point out how many players back home would bite off their own hand for a call up and that might very well be true, but are they of the same quality level?  I don't doubt we have lots of talent back home, but I dare you to name 3 local players that are of comparable quality right now.  If we are to treat football seriously as a nation then ego, pride, and feelings have to be left out of the equation as all it does is cloud people's judgments and cause illdecision making.  You mention Greece but that was just their year and it is a fluke in the grand scheme of things.  That is why no one expected it because they never had the best 11.  Any team can get shocked on any given day but more often the team with the best 11 wins which is why England always sucks.  You bring up Zlatan but the core chemistry of their team's consistency fluctuates so he can never be as consistently magical for them as he is for club.  And yet he is always there and never says club more important right now so how is that about personal gain.  I not sure I really understand what your gripe is about NDL because he has yet to offer anything that should be deemed even remotely disrespectful when discussing T&T.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2013, 01:28:48 PM »
Tiresais you have a weird sense of pride you attach to this thing I find.  I don't see how declining an invitation while you take time to make the right decision based on many factors that you seem to want to ignore can be viewed as disrespectful.  If both T&T and the U.S. called him up, would you find it disrespectful that he chose the land of his birth?  Would it not be a prudent career choice given that the U.S. play in much bigger tournaments and do fairly well given where the sport ranks in the U.S.?  Wouldn't that create better potential opportunities for him to move on to a better league than MLS if he was able to stand out?  Congo is right to point out that it is indeed a career decision and should not be taken lightly.  You point out how many players back home would bite off their own hand for a call up and that might very well be true, but are they of the same quality level?  I don't doubt we have lots of talent back home, but I dare you to name 3 local players that are of comparable quality right now.  If we are to treat football seriously as a nation then ego, pride, and feelings have to be left out of the equation as all it does is cloud people's judgments and cause illdecision making.  You mention Greece but that was just their year and it is a fluke in the grand scheme of things.  That is why no one expected it because they never had the best 11.  Any team can get shocked on any given day but more often the team with the best 11 wins which is why England always sucks.  You bring up Zlatan but the core chemistry of their team's consistency fluctuates so he can never be as consistently magical for them as he is for club.  And yet he is always there and never says club more important right now so how is that about personal gain.  I not sure I really understand what your gripe is about NDL because he has yet to offer anything that should be deemed even remotely disrespectful when discussing T&T.

I think again you're slightly misrepresenting my position - if he declines the invitation then it's clear that he wants to play for the USA, no problem absolutely not. Then why doesn't he declare for the USA and close the Trinidad option? My position comes from a different desire for what national team football should represent - they should be the embodiment of the nation and given the honour of representing. Thus from my point of view it shouldn't be a career decision. As I said, no problem if you see it as a pragmatic career decision, but that's not how I see it :). With that in mind, passion and feelings are essential - I'd rather have an on-paper poorer team full of players who can't thank their lucky stars enough to be playing, than a first eleven of mercenaries taking a pragmatic career decision - the latter will probably win more games sure, but I wouldn't want them representing myself personally.

In terms of local players, I've personally seen that Joevin Jones, Kevon Carter, and Subero have some quality about them. Of course I'm quite ignorant of the subject having only seen one game (one more than DeLeon mind!), but as I've established I would personally prefer a team picked with character in mind. Again you say that Greece is a fluke, but you consistently see "upsets" in international competitions, which are often caused by a combination of discipline and/or passion. For example in World Cups, Germany 2006, Turkey and South Korea 2002, Croatia 1998, Sweden and Bulgaria 1994. As an example from the other side, simply look at the performance of France in the past couple World Cups - on paper excellent teams but character really matters when you have a team unfamiliar with each other, playing sometimes unfamiliar tactics, and living together for two or three weeks. In these situations, being united with a common passion can be really important, and with mercenaries looking out for themselves there's always an issue (one of the biggest issues with England and France).

So yea let me not say that your position is incorrect - clearly there are numerous merits to it, but it's not where I'm coming from - we have a difference in philosophy :)

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
I think again you're slightly misrepresenting my position - if he declines the invitation then it's clear that he wants to play for the USA, no problem absolutely not. Then why doesn't he declare for the USA and close the Trinidad option? My position comes from a different desire for what national team football should represent - they should be the embodiment of the nation and given the honour of representing. Thus from my point of view it shouldn't be a career decision. As I said, no problem if you see it as a pragmatic career decision, but that's not how I see it :). With that in mind, passion and feelings are essential - I'd rather have an on-paper poorer team full of players who can't thank their lucky stars enough to be playing, than a first eleven of mercenaries taking a pragmatic career decision - the latter will probably win more games sure, but I wouldn't want them representing myself personally.

In terms of local players, I've personally seen that Joevin Jones, Kevon Carter, and Subero have some quality about them. Of course I'm quite ignorant of the subject having only seen one game (one more than DeLeon mind!), but as I've established I would personally prefer a team picked with character in mind. Again you say that Greece is a fluke, but you consistently see "upsets" in international competitions, which are often caused by a combination of discipline and/or passion. For example in World Cups, Germany 2006, Turkey and South Korea 2002, Croatia 1998, Sweden and Bulgaria 1994. As an example from the other side, simply look at the performance of France in the past couple World Cups - on paper excellent teams but character really matters when you have a team unfamiliar with each other, playing sometimes unfamiliar tactics, and living together for two or three weeks. In these situations, being united with a common passion can be really important, and with mercenaries looking out for themselves there's always an issue (one of the biggest issues with England and France).

So yea let me not say that your position is incorrect - clearly there are numerous merits to it, but it's not where I'm coming from - we have a difference in philosophy :)

Not necessarily so.  It could very well be that he wants to wait and see what the federation is doing and how things progress.  Given the way things were run before I don't see it as anything more than prudent to wait if you have that luxury as clearly he does.  What would have happened if he jumped right in, got capped and the whole program in disarray?  He might very well want to play for T&T and grew up believing one day he would represent us but came to realize is not being run well enough to take the chance yet.  He could also very well be torn on whom to choose.  He could want to play here for various reasons, yet also feel a connection to T&T and giving himself enough time so that if he does decide to join us that he doesn't have regrets.

Dude yuh iz ah mad man awat?!  France was great on paper last go round?  Steups!  France was in tatters with a shit coach and squeek een de WC the last time.  They got just what was deserved and didn't surprise anyone paying attention to what was going on.  England isn't filled with mercinaries, it is laden with overrated players.  Because the EPL is more widely viewed and some stand out there people seem to feel they should be good but in reality they aren't great as a team.  I don't think any of those players don the white and red for any reason other than wanting to represent their country so unless you have a different definition of mercinary I not seeing that angle not one bit.

I can whole heartedly agree with your final sentence.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2013, 07:23:21 PM »
huh? ???

I live in the us fyi and I can tell you that facilities don't make a great footballer, its all about the player discipline, tolerance and production.

what ? sorry..don't know how I come in that facilty talk...I was freakin on the brain suffering diagnosis...anyhow...carry on

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2013, 12:31:11 AM »
Not sure I can agree with you on France - in 2010 finished last in their group behind Uruguay, Mexico and South Africa (surely you agree that was an underperformance, with Ribéry, Henry, Gallas, Sagna, and Abidal). In 2006 they finished 2nd in a group with South Korea, Togo, and Switzerland before eventually getting their ass in gear and coming second. In 2002 (Lizarazu, Viera, Henry, Desailly, Zidane, Thuram, Petit, Barthez, Makélélé, and Trezeguet) they yet again finished last in the group stage in a group with Uruguay, Senegal and Denmark.I'd argue that their 2006 squad was their weakest!

English players can be mercenaries AND overrated you know :p

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2013, 12:49:58 AM »
Tiresais, I am starting to believe that you are a professional troll. What mercenary talk are you coming with now? Are you calling the players who play for France mercenaries? Do you even understand France's history pertaining to colonies and immigration? Have you ever been to France and Paris and see the different races and nationalities all living peacefully there? What mercenary talk are you coming with England. As far as I am aware England hasn't fielded a foreign born player in their national team in the last decade. Even if they did, are you aware that you can attain a European passport if your grandparent is European? It's in your blood and it's therefore your right.

You are so myopic. I love the fact that you speak about passion and character but how can you expect that from your national team when it doesn't exist in the wider society? I rather professionalism and work ethic when it comes to national sport. The game is about results and a lil bit of luck. All the passion in the world can't raise ur skill level. ;)

We already have a tiny pool of players to select from and you wanna talk about excluding players because they haven't committed to TNT? Steups. You really want to throw Super League men into the deep end? This is 2013 football. Get a grip. Super League is probably equivalent to Conference in England. If so high.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:57:23 AM by congo »

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2013, 04:05:42 AM »
Congo - yuh wrong! the ones I can recall Owen Hargreaves, Wilfred Zaha, Raheem Sterling are all born outside the UK but have played for the Full MNT within the past decade I'm sure there are more.

And what is wrong with someone feeling there should be a different standard when considering for national selection? I don't think he ever said everyone else is idiots only my opinion makes sense. He clearly said it was his personal opinion. However I do agree that Deleon hasn't really been dismissive of T&T and we already set ah precedent with Hoyte, Shaka, Zamora, J'lloyod etc .... they say no first time but we keep coming back. I have said enough about Zamora so I say no more on this topic.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:03 AM »
Tiresais, I am starting to believe that you are a professional troll. What mercenary talk are you coming with now? Are you calling the players who play for France mercenaries? Do you even understand France's history pertaining to colonies and immigration? Have you ever been to France and Paris and see the different races and nationalities all living peacefully there? What mercenary talk are you coming with England. As far as I am aware England hasn't fielded a foreign born player in their national team in the last decade. Even if they did, are you aware that you can attain a European passport if your grandparent is European? It's in your blood and it's therefore your right.

You are so myopic. I love the fact that you speak about passion and character but how can you expect that from your national team when it doesn't exist in the wider society? I rather professionalism and work ethic when it comes to national sport. The game is about results and a lil bit of luck. All the passion in the world can't raise ur skill level. ;)

We already have a tiny pool of players to select from and you wanna talk about excluding players because they haven't committed to TNT? Steups. You really want to throw Super League men into the deep end? This is 2013 football. Get a grip. Super League is probably equivalent to Conference in England. If so high.
Congo, you and others hitting home runs with allyuh insights/opinions on this topic!!!!!
Give thanks bredda.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
I think De Leon could very well end up playing for T&T. However, I don't understand this idea that he's going to make the commitment any time soon. 

It's true he just had a sub-par season, but then again so did his entire team. And his rookie year was excellent, so it could have just been a "sophomore slump".

His odds of making the USA's World Cup squad are certainly poor. But if there are a few key injuries and he has a strong start in MLS next season then who knows what could happen? Plus, T&T aren't looking at beginning WC qualification until 2 years from now.

So where's the rush? It's in Nick's best interest to be patient and wait a while longer.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

Woah woah woah mate you're making arguments against points I didn't make - mercenary has absolutely nothing to do with any other nationalities they hold. "Mercenaries" were in this case players with little passion in the national game and who make the decision purely out of furthering their own career. Accusing me of quasi-racism is really low, and totally far from the mark. I am damn proud that England has fielded so many players from 2nd and 3rd generation migrants - they're as British as I am if not more British - and they wear the shirt with pride. Really I'm surprised you'd even jump to that conclusion.

As Rodney said - we have different opinions, neither is better than the other - I'm not looking for 'professionalism' as much as I am discipline, passion, and unification around the concept that they represent their country more than they do their individual pride. You're looking for that, that's cool, there's a hella lot of good reasons for that. With that in mind, yea I'm very happy to throw Super League players in the deep end if they're good representatives of Trinidad, and if they fail then they'll adapt and get better if they're determined and serious about representing Trinidad. If it doesn't exist in wider society then we need to start somewhere - why not football?

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
I think De Leon could very well end up playing for T&T. However, I don't understand this idea that he's going to make the commitment any time soon. 

It's true he just had a sub-par season, but then again so did his entire team. And his rookie year was excellent, so it could have just been a "sophomore slump".

His odds of making the USA's World Cup squad are certainly poor. But if there are a few key injuries and he has a strong start in MLS next season then who knows what could happen? Plus, T&T aren't looking at beginning WC qualification until 2 years from now.

So where's the rush? It's in Nick's best interest to be patient and wait a while longer.
Can we please make the above the last post on dis subject until we have new developments, please allyuh???

1]; } ?>